What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

Update: I ended up getting the 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er :)

Sticker on it was $1250 and I was able to get it for a hair over $1k from my LBS. :thumbup: I'm planning to throw some slicks on it for my road needs and hang onto the nobbies for when I hit the technical trails.

The Specialized Camber that I mentioned earlier was a killer deal, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much more $, plus I think the full suspension would have been super overkill for my needs.

Thanks again to everyone for their inputs/feedback! I can't wait until my bike comes in :banned:
Sweet bike! I love the 29ers. I'm 6'5" so they're a no brainer. Congrats and enjoy!

Update: I ended up getting the 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er :)

Sticker on it was $1250 and I was able to get it for a hair over $1k from my LBS. :thumbup: I'm planning to throw some slicks on it for my road needs and hang onto the nobbies for when I hit the technical trails.

The Specialized Camber that I mentioned earlier was a killer deal, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much more $, plus I think the full suspension would have been super overkill for my needs.

Thanks again to everyone for their inputs/feedback! I can't wait until my bike comes in :banned:
Sweet bike! I love the 29ers. I'm 6'5" so they're a no brainer. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks, PB! I almost went with the Crosstrail Sport Disc just for the paint scheme alone (big fan of all black everything) and it was considerably cheaper, but I didn't think the paint job on the Rockhopper was that much worse (black/silver) and I liked the look of the RH a litte more... and obviously more off-road capability on the RH.

I live very close to some light-medium trails and can see doing just as much road biking, but never really getting into it all that much or doing and hard core mountain biking. Will one or the other last longer? If I'm going to spend $800-$1200 on a bike I really don't want to have to stick money into it for at least 2 or 3 years.

I'm looking at the Cannondale 2011 Trail SL 29er. The Reviews compared to the Specialized at the same pricepoint are glowing.

Would the cost upgrade be worth it move to the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper LS Comp 29er?

Last edited by a moderator:
I live very close to some light-medium trails and can see doing just as much road biking, but never really getting into it all that much or doing and hard core mountain biking. Will one or the other last longer? If I'm going to spend $800-$1200 on a bike I really don't want to have to stick money into it for at least 2 or 3 years.

I'm looking at the Cannondale 2011 Trail SL 29er. The Reviews compared to the Specialized at the same pricepoint are glowing.

Would the cost upgrade be worth it move to the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper LS Comp 29er?
I think you should hop on both brands and see what fits better. I'm very satisfied with my Rockerhopper Expert 29er. I'm not sure why that 2010 Rockhopper you linked to is priced so high, but the 2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er is under $1k (the Expert 29er is $1250).I was told by my road biking buddies that mtb are much more fun (obviously). If you won't be riding 20 miles one way for fitness, then a good hybrid/mtb will do you just fine. Good luck!

Ok, not trying to hijack, just not sure if I should bother with my own thread.

Long story short: Wife and I would like to get a couple of bikes to bike around the city (Denver). Not thinking of off-roading, but the roads here in town are pretty abysmal. We're thinking a $500 budget for both bikes (is that impossible or would we have to double that?). Suggestions on either bikes or places to learn about this kindof like an Idiot's guide to picking out the right bike to ride w/ your spouse around the city. :)

TIA

Ok, not trying to hijack, just not sure if I should bother with my own thread.Long story short: Wife and I would like to get a couple of bikes to bike around the city (Denver). Not thinking of off-roading, but the roads here in town are pretty abysmal. We're thinking a $500 budget for both bikes (is that impossible or would we have to double that?). Suggestions on either bikes or places to learn about this kindof like an Idiot's guide to picking out the right bike to ride w/ your spouse around the city. :)TIA
In my short experience dealing with making my (our) bike purchases, I think that $500 for both bikes, without going the walmart/target route (which I was told was an absolute no-no), would be pretty difficult. You may save a little bit going online (instead of through a LBS), but unless you are bike savvy, the LBS would be my suggestion. Of course, I am assuming that you will want halfway decent components that will be somewhat reliable and will last. If you can double your budget then I think you'll be golden. The Specialized Crosstrail can be had for ~$500 and everyone here raves about it (I almost bought it myself).Just hit up a good LBS and I'm sure someone there will just as helpful as anyone here. It's all about the fit and not all brands ride the same.Good luck!

You could also peruse craigslist. It's a little difficult if you dont know exactly what you are looking for, but there are lots of folks who build up bikes in their garage as a part time gig. Many of them know what they are doing and put together decent bikes for a decent price.

$500 for 2 bikes can be tough if you want to go new. Kick that up to about $700-$800 or so and you could pick up a couple of brand new Trek 820's ($350) or the slightly more expensive Specialized Rockhoppers ($390). Those are both outstanding starter bikes that will take heavy use and last a long time. If you catch a store that still has a sale or last year's models you might get well down into the $600's. If you don't mind used, then waiting and watching Craigslist/eBay might get you around the $500 range.

Thanks for the primer, fellas. The wife and I are going to check out a highly rated LBS here in DT Denver tomorrow and start taking a look.

How much you going to be biking? 100 miles a week? 10? How many days a week?
Eventually, we'd like to have it somewhere in the 50-100 miles/wk. I used to love to bike (did the STP (Seattle to Portland- 200 miles in 2 days) ride back as a teenager), but haven't in many years. So we'd start just riding in the evenings and weekends and let it go from there.

How much you going to be biking? 100 miles a week? 10?

How many days a week?
Eventually, we'd like to have it somewhere in the 50-100 miles/wk. I used to love to bike (did the STP (Seattle to Portland- 200 miles in 2 days) ride back as a teenager), but haven't in many years. So we'd start just riding in the evenings and weekends and let it go from there.
I wouldn't be looking at a mountain bike like the Trek or Specialized. They are fine for a few hours on the road here and there, but they are not comfortable to ride for long'ish stretched. I would look into a road bike, and because of the ####ty roads, get some fatter tires on them.Just as a point of reference (I am not super knowledgeable about the options out there) I ride about 125 miles a week. Commute 12 miles round trip 5 days a week (less if it is ####ty and rainy or snowy) and one or two days/nights a week will get out and ride around the city. I have a Surly Crosscheck, which is sort of do-it-all kind of bike. I can ride it offroad if I change out the tires. I can ride it as a single speed for my daily commute. I can ride it as a touring bike for long weekend rides.

Send proninja a PM, or send up a bat signal for him to get in this thread.

How much you going to be biking? 100 miles a week? 10?

How many days a week?
I wouldn't be looking at a mountain bike like the Trek or Specialized. They are fine for a few hours on the road here and there, but they are not comfortable to ride for long'ish stretched. I would look into a road bike, and because of the ####ty roads, get some fatter tires on them.Just as a point of reference (I am not super knowledgeable about the options out there) I ride about 125 miles a week. Commute 12 miles round trip 5 days a week (less if it is ####ty and rainy or snowy) and one or two days/nights a week will get out and ride around the city. I have a Surly Crosscheck, which is sort of do-it-all kind of bike. I can ride it offroad if I change out the tires. I can ride it as a single speed for my daily commute. I can ride it as a touring bike for long weekend rides.

Send proninja a PM, or send up a bat signal for him to get in this thread.
That's awesome, thanks.And did I see that your bike is $1,000ish? I miss the ole 10-speed days heh. I'll send PN a pm, thanks.

And did I see that your bike is $1,000ish?
I didnt buy it new. Got the frame off craigslist for 300 a while back. Had some extra parts lying around, enough to get it running. Since then I have upgraded some things. Probably have 750 or so invested in it, but over a 4 year time frame.

When did this #### get so expensive?!? All we want are a couple of solid, comfortable bikes to go riding on :cry:
I think you can find that for the price you are looking at. Sure, they may not have the best components on there, but the nice thing about bikes is they can be upgraded a little bit at a time. Go to the LBS, see what they got, ask them questions, take a few for a test ride. If they can't meet your price range, then at least you know what you are looking for and you can hit up craigslist.

When did this #### get so expensive?!? All we want are a couple of solid, comfortable bikes to go riding on :cry:
I think you can find that for the price you are looking at. Sure, they may not have the best components on there, but the nice thing about bikes is they can be upgraded a little bit at a time. Go to the LBS, see what they got, ask them questions, take a few for a test ride. If they can't meet your price range, then at least you know what you are looking for and you can hit up craigslist.
:thumbup:

Bad shopping experience at Erik's yesterday. Was browsing for a upgrade bike for the Mrs. and found a Cannondale she liked which was a midrange ($400 or thereabouts). Sales associate approached, spent 5 minutes asking how she planned to use (4-8 mile occasional paved trail riding with the kids) and immediately took her to a $699 Specialized bike. I asked what was wrong with the Cannondale, she said they are designed for aggressive biking, not comfort (upright) riding. Asked why not a cheaper $450 Specialized, she said the cheaper versions "don't shift as well or ride as comfortably, but they are 'ok' bikes if you don't care about those things." We were ready to pull the trigger on the Cannondale and ended up just leaving. Back to Craigslist I guess...

Bad shopping experience at Erik's yesterday. Was browsing for a upgrade bike for the Mrs. and found a Cannondale she liked which was a midrange ($400 or thereabouts). Sales associate approached, spent 5 minutes asking how she planned to use (4-8 mile occasional paved trail riding with the kids) and immediately took her to a $699 Specialized bike. I asked what was wrong with the Cannondale, she said they are designed for aggressive biking, not comfort (upright) riding. Asked why not a cheaper $450 Specialized, she said the cheaper versions "don't shift as well or ride as comfortably, but they are 'ok' bikes if you don't care about those things." We were ready to pull the trigger on the Cannondale and ended up just leaving. Back to Craigslist I guess...
Don't let them deter you, go back and buy what you want. A more upright postition is typically more comfortable, but that's really a decision your wife has to make. As for the less expensive Specialized not shifting or riding as well, he's probably right. However that difference is probably a 1 on a scale of 1 to 100, not a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. A casual rider like your wife would probably not be able to notice the minor differences. In my experience there are some groups that perfectly fit the insufferable pompous ####### stereotype, and bike shops employees are at the top of the list. They often can't quit looking down their noses long enough to realize not everyone is Lance Armstrong and just wants to go around the block with kids rather than try to shave another 45 grams off their bike. Figure out which bike fits your intended use and go from there.

I'm looking at bikesdirect to buy a 29er for single track trails.

I had one all picked out and it was an incredible deal, but I dallied for two days and it's out of stock now.

Now I've settled on another one that's not quite as good of a deal, but I went to three local bike shops in the past two days and the prices were ridiculous compared to bikesdirect. The same level of components (basically, both deraileurs and the shifters at Shimano Deore or above) on a 29er costs about $500 more at a bike shop than from bikesdirect.

The bike shops are great and I think I'll take a maintenance course and get some accessories there, but buying a bike there is just too much of a premium to pay.

One thing I'm having trouble finding is a good online sizing guide. I'm 5'10.5", 32" inseam - I can find a million guides for standard bikes, but not for 29ers. Does anyone know of a good one? I think a 17" or 17.5" (depending on bike manufacturer) is right for me based on what I've seen, but I'm reluctant to buy until I'm sure of the fit. The obvious downside to buying online is just this. Can a FBG hook me up with a sizing guide?

I'm looking at bikesdirect to buy a 29er for single track trails.

I had one all picked out and it was an incredible deal, but I dallied for two days and it's out of stock now.

Now I've settled on another one that's not quite as good of a deal, but I went to three local bike shops in the past two days and the prices were ridiculous compared to bikesdirect. The same level of components (basically, both deraileurs and the shifters at Shimano Deore or above) on a 29er costs about $500 more at a bike shop than from bikesdirect.

The bike shops are great and I think I'll take a maintenance course and get some accessories there, but buying a bike there is just too much of a premium to pay.

One thing I'm having trouble finding is a good online sizing guide. I'm 5'10.5", 32" inseam - I can find a million guides for standard bikes, but not for 29ers. Does anyone know of a good one? I think a 17" or 17.5" (depending on bike manufacturer) is right for me based on what I've seen, but I'm reluctant to buy until I'm sure of the fit. The obvious downside to buying online is just this. Can a FBG hook me up with a sizing guide?
:thumbup: Sizing is indeed the worst part about buying online, but you can get a general feel through a couple things. If you looked and tried some bikes at an lbs you can find one that fits and compare the sizing of that bike and the bikes direct bike. All the info is online. http://www.motobecane.com/29/f29p.html#geo is one. A 17 in this has a 31" standover which is near where you want to be generally. Also, check out mtbr or other sites and see if you can find someone with the same bike.

My friend has a Niner MCR and has a medium. He's your size and those measurements generally match a 17".

Good luck.

Dang, the awesome deal I saw earlier is even better now since they're almost out of stock, but they only have a 15". I'm tempted.

Dang, the awesome deal I saw earlier is even better now since they're almost out of stock, but they only have a 15". I'm tempted.
Don't do it. You will enjoy the bike for a bit, only to realize that is in indeed ill fitting. Yo then will proceed to not ride it and curse yourself for buying it all to save 100 bucks or so.Be patient. Bikesdirect restocks stuff all the time.

I ended up getting a Gravity 29 Point 2 as shown here:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point2.htm

Interestingly, despite that page saying it comes with Alivio shifters, it came with Deore shifters, which was a pleasant surprise.

I've had it about 2 weeks now and it's great. I don't have any complaints about bikesdirect. I got some advice online and from some friends on setting things up, and I couldn't be happier with the bike.

I bought a trip computer at a local bike shop, and he mentioned that I should bring by my bike to have him install it or confirm my installation. I did that, and when he saw it was a bikesdirect bike, he turned into a jerk, making lots of snide comments and generally trying to make me feel like an idiot. The phrase he used a few times was, "Well, you're not a bike mechanic, are you?" Jeez, sorry for trying to learn. I won't be going back there for any more accessories.

I ended up getting a Gravity 29 Point 2 as shown here:http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point2.htmInterestingly, despite that page saying it comes with Alivio shifters, it came with Deore shifters, which was a pleasant surprise.I've had it about 2 weeks now and it's great. I don't have any complaints about bikesdirect. I got some advice online and from some friends on setting things up, and I couldn't be happier with the bike.I bought a trip computer at a local bike shop, and he mentioned that I should bring by my bike to have him install it or confirm my installation. I did that, and when he saw it was a bikesdirect bike, he turned into a jerk, making lots of snide comments and generally trying to make me feel like an idiot. The phrase he used a few times was, "Well, you're not a bike mechanic, are you?" Jeez, sorry for trying to learn. I won't be going back there for any more accessories.
Typical LBS reaction. They love to bite the hands that could feed them. Many of them turn away customers that could buy accessories and maintenance just because they missed out on a bicycle sale. Sad really. Keep learning about your bike and enjoying it. As you said, your best resources are online and other riders. They have a vested interest in your enjoyment in cycling and not your wallet.

If I'm 6'5" should I not even waste my time looking at non-29ers?

I have an older bike, but after herniating back I need to make sure and get one that fits me properly.

If I'm 6'5" should I not even waste my time looking at non-29ers?I have an older bike, but after herniating back I need to make sure and get one that fits me properly.
You might feel like you're too high on a 29er. So I wouldn't discount a regular 26 inch bike. Try and ride both and see which one you like.

'proninja said:
If I'm 6'5" should I not even waste my time looking at non-29ers?I have an older bike, but after herniating back I need to make sure and get one that fits me properly.
What kind of riding are you looking to do? 29ers, with more rotational inertia, hold speed better, but take more to get them up to speed. They roll over little stuff better, helping smooth out the ride. The downside is that they have slightly longer wheelbases and put your center of gravity a bit higher (they don't handle quite as sharply, but should feel more stable) and the wheels are less durable.Big guys generally love them. They say they feel more "in" the bike rather than on top of it. I'm 5'9''. I wouldn't know. If you're looking for a pedaling bike (hardtail, short travel XC or trail bike) I'd say almost definitely get a 29er. If you're looking for an AM rig or bigger, well, you won't see a 29er anyway. So, all of that said, yeah, I'd go with a 29er. And I wouldn't waste my time looking at 26'' wheel bikes.Edit: Also, if you buy a bike online and come into my shop, I will handcuff you to the counter, rip the chain off your bike, and flog you with it berating you the entire time. Or something like that.
lol. I won't be doing any mountain biking with my back. Before I hurt my back I would go on some paved trails, occasional dirt but nothing serious, in some of the city parks for 1-2 hours twice a week. That is what I plan on doing again. I would have a trailer attached to it dragging my kid around.

Interestingly, despite that page saying it comes with Alivio shifters, it came with Deore shifters, which was a pleasant surprise.

I've had it about 2 weeks now and it's great. I don't have any complaints about bikesdirect. I got some advice online and from some friends on setting things up, and I couldn't be happier with the bike.
I've got 150 miles of single-track usage on this bike now, and I'm still very happy with it. Nothing has gone wrong, and I don't regret the purchase even a bit.Next summer, I'm thinking about hitting Copper Harbor:

The bike I couldn't get (the Motobecane that was $600, then back in stock at $400 in the wrong size) eventually did come back in 19" and 21". One of the guys I ride with bought it. I'm still happy with mine, though I would have obviously preferred to get the $400 deal for a 1% better bike than I paid $550 for.

Bump.....anyone looked at bikes recently?

I'm 5'9"....looking for a MTB that I can also road ride. I won't be riding in groups.

My LBS carries mostly Treks...so have been testing and looking at them...and like what I see.

Trying to decide if I want the 29er or 26 tires.

The '12 3700 have been marked down $100 to $429: http://www.trekbikes...ries/3700_disc/#

The pricepoint 29er is the Wahoo....at $600: http://www.trekbikes...er_sport/wahoo/#

The 29er he recommended though was the Marlin at $689: http://www.trekbikes...rt/marlin_2012/#

I've also found a used Trek 4900 on Craigslist at $300, and a Trek 4500 for $400.

The LBS guy says the 3700 tires are decent for road riding, although obviously not as good as the 29ers.

He also says that the components on the Marlins are '3 steps up' from the ones on the 3700...but when I asked what difference that would

make to me, he said I probably wouldn't notice if I wasn't hitting difficult trails that would put stress on them (which I won't be).

Anyone tried or bought any of these Treks?

Bump.....anyone looked at bikes recently?

I'm 5'9"....looking for a MTB that I can also road ride. I won't be riding in groups.

My LBS carries mostly Treks...so have been testing and looking at them...and like what I see.

Trying to decide if I want the 29er or 26 tires. The LBS guy says the 26s on the Trek 3500 or 3700 are decent for road riding.

The '12 3700 have been marked down $100 to $429: http://www.trekbikes...ries/3700_disc/#

The pricepoint 29er is the Wahoo....at $600: http://www.trekbikes...er_sport/wahoo/#

The 29er he recommended though was the Marlin at $689: http://www.trekbikes...rt/marlin_2012/#

I've also found a used Trek 4900 on Craigslist at $300, and a Trek 4500 for $400.

The LBS guy says the 3700 tires are decent for road riding, although obviously not as good as the 29ers.

He also says that the components on the Marlins are '3 steps up' from the ones on the 3700...but when I asked what difference that would

make to me, he said I probably wouldn't notice if I wasn't hitting difficult trails that would put stress on them (which I won't be).

Anyone tried or bought any of these Treks?
At those price points, I honestly don't think its going to matter. You're really talking as cheap as it gets for entry level bikes. I would just buy the cheapest one to see if its something you like to do; trek is a good name so the frame should be solid. If you get hooked, you're going to want to invest in something nicer and go from there. If you get into some of the harder trails that really give you a pounding, you're next step will be to a dual suspension bike. If you're doing a lot of road riding, there's no comparing a mountain bike on the road vs a road bike. I really love my 29er, but mainly b/c I'm 6'5" and the big wheels just fit me better. If you get out on some trails and meet some people, you'll certainly come across some folks that will let you try out there 29er if you did decide to go the 26er route. There's all demo days that shops have where you can test bikes out. Tires are something that can easily be replaced so if you find yourself doing a lot of road riding, you can always go with a tire that has a lot less tread. Not sure if any of this helps.

At those price points, I honestly don't think its going to matter. You're really talking as cheap as it gets for entry level bikes. I would just buy the cheapest one to see if its something you like to do; trek is a good name so the frame should be solid. If you get hooked, you're going to want to invest in something nicer and go from there. If you get into some of the harder trails that really give you a pounding, you're next step will be to a dual suspension bike. If you're doing a lot of road riding, there's no comparing a mountain bike on the road vs a road bike. I really love my 29er, but mainly b/c I'm 6'5" and the big wheels just fit me better. If you get out on some trails and meet some people, you'll certainly come across some folks that will let you try out there 29er if you did decide to go the 26er route. There's all demo days that shops have where you can test bikes out. Tires are something that can easily be replaced so if you find yourself doing a lot of road riding, you can always go with a tire that has a lot less tread. Not sure if any of this helps.
Thx Butter. But I should clarify that I'm not a beginner....I used to MB heavily in the late 90s....but wasn't a real knowledgeable equipment guy. Then I moved back to FL and rode daily on the road 12 miles a pop, on my MB. I had a pretty nice Mongoose back then, with good components and a dual suspension.So a few things I know....I will want something that can handle some aggressive riding....and Im ok riding a MB (with 26ers) on the road...and I'll ride only 2-3 times a week, mixed between road and trails.So you think I should pick the 3700 (cheapest new bike), or look another notch or two above the Marlin (like the Mamba...around $950)?

Just to cover all bases....I'm going to look at a hybrid or two. Anyone with experience there, specifically with pushing them a little on trails?

I happen to have visited five bike shops in the past two days, but I was looking at 24" wheel mountain bikes for my son. Check Giant and Specialized as well, since the three always seem to have competing models with very similar components. Test each brand to see which geometry you like.

Or, go for bikesdirect - I'm still very happy with my mountain bike from there. $550 or so, with components equivalent to the Mamba you linked. None of the other components have caused me any problems yet, though I replaced the grips with some Ergons.

Maybe this one for a very nice bike, or this one for a high end model, or this one to get a solid bike with components I prefer over those on the Marlin for $450.

Alrighty starting to ride a bit again.... mix of paved paths and some light singletrack with some freinds.

Knocked the dust off my old 1996 Trek Y11. Have been using it and while it's clearly archaic, it's still a fun ride. I put thousands of miles on it in college in the hills around Knoxville TN and with some upgraded components it is still in decent shape.

One issue I've got is with the RockShox Quadra21R fork. It wasnt great back in the day and with the sag now it's really a PITA. Not looking for anything crazy, nut I am looking for something used/serviceable to bolt up for the time being. Will likely pick up a new ride down the road but in the meantime I'm gonna stick with the old Y (partially for sentimental reasons if nothing else). I'm fine with used as this is just for very casual riding.

Assuming I'm looking for something around 100mm of travel with 11/8" threadless steerer right?

Suggestions?

I happen to have visited five bike shops in the past two days, but I was looking at 24" wheel mountain bikes for my son. Check Giant and Specialized as well, since the three always seem to have competing models with very similar components. Test each brand to see which geometry you like.

Or, go for bikesdirect - I'm still very happy with my mountain bike from there. $550 or so, with components equivalent to the Mamba you linked. None of the other components have caused me any problems yet, though I replaced the grips with some Ergons.

Maybe this one for a very nice bike, or this one for a high end model, or this one to get a solid bike with components I prefer over those on the Marlin for $450.
Thanks man. I looked at bikes direct t the beginning of my search, but now that I've read and understand more about components...those look pretty good.Although that last one a Suntour fork, which everyone seems to hate about the Marlin...and was upgraded to a Rockshock on the Mamba.

I've got 150 miles of single-track usage on this bike now, and I'm still very happy with it. Nothing has gone wrong, and I don't regret the purchase even a bit.Next summer, I'm thinking about hitting Copper Harbor:

I went to Copper Harbor last weekend, and it blew my mind. That was one of the best trips of any kind I've ever taken. I can see why it's supposed to be one of the best seven mountain biking locations in the world. My bike did great, though this is the one time I really would have liked to have full suspension. I did fine with the hardtail, though.

Looking for hybrid bikes for both myself and the Mrs.

I think the Trek 7.4 for her is perfect, bit pricey at about $800 but we have bought $300 bikes int he past and they just don't hold up and they don't go all that fast.

I am torn between something like the Giant Rapid-3 which has a decent price point and something like a Trek 7.3/7.5

I do not want a mountain bike, and a road cycle is just not what I want for now. The new Hybrids have a lot of road bike in them but you don't have to be bent over the handlebars.

Anyone ever ridden one of these? Thoughts? Thanks.

Bought a Fuji Absolute 3.0 6 weeks ago. I like it, but I don't know anything about bikes to compare it up against. Wish it wasn't cold and rainy now. Miss biking home from the office. :kicksrock:

The thing I liked most was the price. I paid $350 for it brand new. No complaints at all, but I don't do much more than bike on streets and paved paths.

Hybrids are ridiculous. Get a mountain bike or a road bike. If you're going to trail ride, you're going to like it and you're going to find pretty quickly that a hybrid is not made for hard trail riding. Have the Mrs. get a hybrid if that's what she wants, but no man belongs anywhere near a hybrid.

Hybrids are ridiculous. Get a mountain bike or a road bike. If you're going to trail ride, you're going to like it and you're going to find pretty quickly that a hybrid is not made for hard trail riding. Have the Mrs. get a hybrid if that's what she wants, but no man belongs anywhere near a hybrid.
I didn't realize it, but what I bought is a hybrid bike. :bag:
The Fuji Absolute 3.0 is a hybrid bike that reviewers say is perfect for long commutes. Hybrid bikes combine the skinny tires and speed of a road bike with the comfortable positioning and flat handlebars of a mountain bike. There are numerous hybrid bikes on the market, but the Fuji Absolute 3.0 posts the highest scores in two recent tests. Experts say the bike provides an ample amount of speed with its sporty positioning, but it's still comfortable enough to ride for long distances. Handling and shifting performance is also very good. The wide range of 24 gears is another perk, especially for those who live in hilly areas. However, we saw one report that the ride can feel jittery on rough roads. Like most hybrid bikes, the Fuji Absolute 3.0 doesn't come with commuting accessories like fenders or storage racks, but the frame has mounts so you can add your own. If you prefer a comfort bike that comes with these accessories, reviewers recommend the Breezer Uptown Infinity (MSRP: $1,270) and the Trek Belleville (MSRP: $690) for budget shoppers.
I have nothing negative to say about mine. Again, for $350, you can't really beat it. :shrug:

'proninja said:
Meh. They're perfect for someone who just wants a bike. They're also a lot cheaper, much better for on road use than a MTB, and you don't have to drop the cash for a drop bar bike, which generally costs a lot more. I'll throw my bike snobbery up against anybody's here, but I have zero problem with a flat bar road bike. The most important part of any bike is whether or not the person actually rides the damn thing anyway.
Fair enough. It's not a snobbery thing with me; I just saw my brother in law go through it and he was pissed at himself for not just getting a mtb right off the bat.Actually the "no man belongs..." line could be perceived as snobbery, but I was kidding.

'proninja said:
Meh. They're perfect for someone who just wants a bike. They're also a lot cheaper, much better for on road use than a MTB, and you don't have to drop the cash for a drop bar bike, which generally costs a lot more. I'll throw my bike snobbery up against anybody's here, but I have zero problem with a flat bar road bike. The most important part of any bike is whether or not the person actually rides the damn thing anyway.
What do you recommend for winter gear? Keep in mind my budget is very small, but I hate not riding. I was really getting in to it and I dropped 10 pounds in a month. That weight is almost all back now and it's only been a week. :bag: :porked: You can PM me if that's easier, but I'd be interested to get your thoughts on the bare minimum I'll need to keep riding through the winter. Thanks GB.

Users who are viewing this thread