Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Wrigley

Chernobyl: You didn’t see this thread, because it’s not here (Potential Spoilers)

Recommended Posts

Quote

The Chernobyl disaster was a nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in the Ukrainian SSR (now Ukraine). An explosion and fire released large quantities of radioactive contamination into the atmosphere, which spread over much of Western Russia and Europe. It is considered the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and is one of only two classified as a level 7 event on the International Nuclear Event Scale (the other being the Fukushima I nuclear incident, which is considered far less serious and has caused no direct deaths).[1] The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles, crippling the Soviet economy.[2]

The disaster began during a systems test on 26 April 1986 at reactor number four of the Chernobyl plant, which is near the town of Pripyat. There was a sudden power output surge, and when an emergency shutdown was attempted, a more extreme spike in power output occurred, which led to a reactor vessel rupture and a series of explosions. These events exposed the graphite moderator of the reactor to air, causing it to ignite.[3] The resulting fire sent a plume of highly radioactive smoke fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area, including Pripyat. The plume drifted over large parts of the western Soviet Union and Europe. From 1986 to 2000, 350,400 people were evacuated and resettled from the most severely contaminated areas of Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine.[4][5] According to official post-Soviet data,[6][7] about 60% of the fallout landed in Belarus.

Chernobyl 25 years later

Edited by Wrigley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if this hadnt happened behind the Iron Curtain, people might be a horrified by it still as 9/11. i hope this gives PBS the opportunity to revisit the footage they took in the 90s around there - i presume its still toxic. creepiest ghost town of all time, that's for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 year old tress growing in the "dead zone?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50000 people used to live here, now it's a ghost town. Our so called leaders prostituted us to the West, destroyed our culture, our economies, our honor...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 year old tress growing in the "dead zone?"

It's not really dead, a lot of animals have returned and there are actually a couple hundred people that moved back (illegally.) Here's a photo essay from Open Salon I just looked at today and found interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eta--It's the same one, chapter one

Not all about Chernobyl--This is from WWII near Kiev.

Bottles from Schnapps. A German vodka. We found them empty, but a local guys from other search group had more luck and dug up a sealed one.

It was a real war bottle of schnapps and as every true old bottle it was enchanted and from the moment when guys opened it everything went wrong.

Short after they emptied an enchanted bottle they have been seen at a liquor store and in evening they couldn't get out of trench. This is what we call a day went in a gutter.

:D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl
from Danny Cooke Plus 4 days agoAll Audiences

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to visit Chernobyl whilst working for CBS News on a '60 Minutes' episode which aired on Nov. 23, 2014. Bob Simon is the correspondent. Michael Gavshon and David Levine, producers.

For the full story cbsnews.com/news/chernobyl-the-catastrophe-that-never-ended/

----> ***Soundtrack 'Promise land' by Hannah Miller - licensed on themusicbed.com

Chernobyl is one of the most interesting and dangerous places I've been. The nuclear disaster, which happened in 1986 (the year after I was born), had an effect on so many people, including my family when we lived in Italy. The nuclear dust clouds swept westward towards us. The Italian police went round and threw away all the local produce and my mother rushed out to purchase as much tinned milk as possible to feed me, her infant son.

It caused so much distress hundreds of miles away, so I can't imagine how terrifying it would have been for the hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian citizens who were forced to evacuate.

During my stay, I met so many amazing people, one of whom was my guide Yevgen, also known as a 'Stalker'. We spent the week together exploring Chernobyl and the nearby abandoned city of Pripyat. There was something serene, yet highly disturbing about this place. Time has stood still and there are memories of past happenings floating around us.

Armed with a camera and a dosimeter geiger counter I explored...

The explosion released 400 times more radiation than the U.S. atomic bomb dropped over Hiroshima

http://vimeo.com/112681885

This is video of Chernobyl by air as seen by drone.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl
from Danny Cooke Plus 4 days agoAll Audiences

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to visit Chernobyl whilst working for CBS News on a '60 Minutes' episode which aired on Nov. 23, 2014. Bob Simon is the correspondent. Michael Gavshon and David Levine, producers.

For the full story cbsnews.com/news/chernobyl-the-catastrophe-that-never-ended/

----> ***Soundtrack 'Promise land' by Hannah Miller - licensed on themusicbed.com

Chernobyl is one of the most interesting and dangerous places I've been. The nuclear disaster, which happened in 1986 (the year after I was born), had an effect on so many people, including my family when we lived in Italy. The nuclear dust clouds swept westward towards us. The Italian police went round and threw away all the local produce and my mother rushed out to purchase as much tinned milk as possible to feed me, her infant son.

It caused so much distress hundreds of miles away, so I can't imagine how terrifying it would have been for the hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian citizens who were forced to evacuate.

During my stay, I met so many amazing people, one of whom was my guide Yevgen, also known as a 'Stalker'. We spent the week together exploring Chernobyl and the nearby abandoned city of Pripyat. There was something serene, yet highly disturbing about this place. Time has stood still and there are memories of past happenings floating around us.

Armed with a camera and a dosimeter geiger counter I explored...

The explosion released 400 times more radiation than the U.S. atomic bomb dropped over Hiroshima

http://vimeo.com/112681885

This is video of Chernobyl by air as seen by drone.

I think Monty is telling Smithers to look at the flowers at :31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crippled the soviet economy and the USSR collapsed a few years later.

Could it have been an american attack on the commies?

oh absolutely. Is there any doubt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chernoybl fascinates me. Sixty minutes has done a few reports on the disaster, both of them excellent. The town of Pripyat is so eerie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crippled the soviet economy and the USSR collapsed a few years later.

Could it have been an american attack on the commies?

oh absolutely. Is there any doubt?

Serious?

I sure wouldnt put it past them after killing presidents, demolishing skyscrapers and fluoridating the water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chernoybl fascinates me. Sixty minutes has done a few reports on the disaster, both of them excellent. The town of Pripyat is so eerie.

The visit in Call of Duty is real.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good buddy of mine is writing/producing a 5 part miniseries on Chernobyl for HBO next year. Passion project that he's wanted to make for years. Hopefully it'll be good. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2011 at 2:38 PM, RudiStein said:

50000 people used to live here, now it's a ghost town. Our so called leaders prostituted us to the West, destroyed our culture, our economies, our honor...

:thumbup:

Ghost Town

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Good buddy of mine is writing/producing a 5 part miniseries on Chernobyl for HBO next year. Passion project that he's wanted to make for years. Hopefully it'll be good. 

Awesome, I hope to see it.  Chernobyl has always fascinated me, not so much the accident but the ghost town it left behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnnymac said:

Awesome, I hope to see it.  Chernobyl has always fascinated me, not so much the accident but the ghost town it left behind.

I don't know if it will hit the air until 2019, but hopefully it will be good. It's not a documentary, but the story is all based on the actual people / events. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

I don't know if it will hit the air until 2019, but hopefully it will be good. It's not a documentary, but the story is all based on the actual people / events. 

...and mutants? :excited: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

I don't know if it will hit the air until 2019, but hopefully it will be good. It's not a documentary, but the story is all based on the actual people / events. 

So just another Walking Dead ripoff? Pass... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he finds some of those weird people remaining there and they eat him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of messed up that Sandals is proposing an all inclusive resort there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, Johnnymac said:

Awesome, I hope to see it.  Chernobyl has always fascinated me, not so much the accident but the ghost town it left behind.

https://www.hbo.com/video/chernobyl/videos/trailer

Coming in a few weeks.  I'm biased because it's the brainchild of an old friend, but I think this looks REALLY GD cool.

  • Like 11
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

https://www.hbo.com/video/chernobyl/videos/trailer

Coming in a few weeks.  I'm biased because it's the brainchild of an old friend, but I think this looks REALLY GD cool.

Got some big name actors in this - Jared Harris - dude from Mad Men, two guys from Game of Thrones, and the ### of a professor from Good Will Hunting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

https://www.hbo.com/video/chernobyl/videos/trailer

Coming in a few weeks.  I'm biased because it's the brainchild of an old friend, but I think this looks REALLY GD cool.

Meh, buncha horror movies already did this.  Chernobyl you scary. 

Edited by James Daulton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

Meh, buncha horror movies already did this.  Chernobyl you scary. 

This isn't horror, although the trailer has a "horror vibe," if you will.  This isn't "The Walking Dead, Eastern European Edition."

The conceit of the show is that it focuses on the people who sacrificed to keep an enormous problem from becoming apocalyptic.  It's all based on true events and is designed to look/feel as close to what actually occurred as it can possibly be.  The goal is hyper-intense realism - to put the viewer inside what occurred there in a way that hasn't been done previously and to tell the portion of the story that many people may not know unless they're very well-read on the subject.

That's (paraphrased) from the creator/writer/showrunner/one-time pot-smoking buddy, fellow Pink Floyd devotee and writing partner of your ol' pal EG72.  Whether or not it achieves these aims remains to be seen, I guess.  I know he got a lot of quality people to work with, from the actors mattyl mentioned to a producer/director from Broadchurch and Breaking Bad, respectively.  I hope it's good so I don't have to lie to him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

https://www.hbo.com/video/chernobyl/videos/trailer

Coming in a few weeks.  I'm biased because it's the brainchild of an old friend, but I think this looks REALLY GD cool.

Can not wait for this to come out. Have been hoping they would make a real movie about what happened there but it being Russia and all was never optimistic it would happen.

This isn't a horror movie, more like a theatric documentary. Must watch IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The river monster guy had a show where he fished in the cooling pond a few years back. tried to catch a giant catfish.  I think he caught one but contrary to popular opinion radiation makes most things weaker and smaller. he didn't keep it to eat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks pretty good.  Reminds me that I have the book "Midnight in Chernobyl" in my to-read pile.  May have to time that read with the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beer 30 said:

Can not wait for this to come out. Have been hoping they would make a real movie about what happened there but it being Russia and all was never optimistic it would happen.

This isn't a horror movie, more like a theatric documentary. Must watch IMO.

Exactly that.  Someone mentioned to him that they were expecting an action/thriller, while the trailer "looks like the stuff of nightmares."  He replied that "the show depicts only true events, which just happen to be the stuff of nightmares."  It's a depiction of events for which there is little or no footage, they're trying to illustrate what it would really have been like to be there when it went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Exactly that.  Someone mentioned to him that they were expecting an action/thriller, while the trailer "looks like the stuff of nightmares."  He replied that "the show depicts only true events, which just happen to be the stuff of nightmares."  It's a depiction of events for which there is little or no footage, they're trying to illustrate what it would really have been like to be there when it went down.

AWESOMENESS!

For some unknown reason that I can only attribute to intense ADHD, I dove into researching Chernobyl. I ran across this site and got hooked. Spent weeks scouring the innerwebs trying to learn all I could about it. Fascinating stuff that other than people directly affected by it, no one in the world probably knows much about now other than the buzzword Chernobyl. The town of Pripyat was evacuated 3 days after the worst of the radiation was released, a town of 50,000, with no warning, no idea where they were going, no explination of what was going on, just Mother Russia telling you get up, get out, don't look back. Google, "population of Pripyat", kinda chilling.

The Liquidators of Chernobyl are heroes that very few know about and saved not Russia but the world from a terrible disaster. I hope this movie does all of them the justice they deserve.

The History Channel or Nat Geo did a nice documentary on the structure built and put in place over the site in 2018. Thankfully and finally completed before the Sarcophagus that was hastily built and ready to collapse disintegrated and caused another disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

AWESOMENESS!

For some unknown reason that I can only attribute to intense ADHD, I dove into researching Chernobyl. I ran across this site and got hooked. Spent weeks scouring the innerwebs trying to learn all I could about it. Fascinating stuff that other than people directly affected by it, no one in the world probably knows much about now other than the buzzword Chernobyl. The town of Pripyat was evacuated 3 days after the worst of the radiation was released, a town of 50,000, with no warning, no idea where they were going, no explination of what was going on, just Mother Russia telling you get up, get out, don't look back. Google, "population of Pripyat", kinda chilling.

The Liquidators of Chernobyl are heroes that very few know about and saved not Russia but the world from a terrible disaster. I hope this movie does all of them the justice they deserve.

The History Channel or Nat Geo did a nice documentary on the structure built and put in place over the site in 2018. Thankfully and finally completed before the Sarcophagus that was hastily built and ready to collapse disintegrated and caused another disaster.

You should love this then.  My buddy said that the entire reason he always wanted to do this project was to tell the story most people don't know - specifically the story of the Liquidators of Chernobyl.  He said in a Q&A when asked by one of their descendants that the main purpose of the miniseries was to let people know what they did and to "hopefully do them the justice they deserve." 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a great book about Chernobyl.  And after I was done, I thought someone should make a movie about the heroes.  In part of the book, it talked about guys who stood in the stairwell atop the roof, wearing nothing but rain gear.  They would run out onto the roof, pick up radiated pieces of scrap and toss it into the hole.  They would do this until there muscles would just about give up from the radiation.  Then they would run back to the stairwell and tag in the next group.  The one survivor (at least when he was interviewed for the book) said that they were told the raincoats would protect them from the radiation.  They knew it was a lie, but they also knew if they didn't move that material, many more people could die.  So they essentially sacrificed their own lives to save others.  It was crazy powerful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is Chernobyl probably did end up ruining the planet.  Without that event we have a more widespread adoption of nuclear power, and are probably pushing towards other fission methods that don't kick off as much waste.  

It set back the entire industry 2 decades or more, and the planet at least 100.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Thing is Chernobyl probably did end up ruining the planet.  Without that event we have a more widespread adoption of nuclear power, and are probably pushing towards other fission methods that don't kick off as much waste.  

It set back the entire industry 2 decades or more, and the planet at least 100.  

That might be a little heavy handed but I can't disagree with it. Almost everyone agrees that the Russians totally ####ed up with an inferior design and just sheer stupidity. I think they were the only country actively building these type of reactors at the time because everyone else ran away from them screaming. Russia embraced them because it was cheap.

I think the populace has always been fearful of nuclear power and while the incidents associated with the industry have been minimal (or at least minimally reported :tinfoilhat:) the incidents that have occurred are "HOLY ####### #### WORLD IS GONNA END" type events so the industry isn't doing itself any favors in the court of public opinion. Fun fact, I live less than 3 miles from a plant, giddy up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

That might be a little heavy handed but I can't disagree with it. Almost everyone agrees that the Russians totally ####ed up with an inferior design and just sheer stupidity. I think they were the only country actively building these type of reactors at the time because everyone else ran away from them screaming. Russia embraced them because it was cheap.

I think the populace has always been fearful of nuclear power and while the incidents associated with the industry have been minimal (or at least minimally reported :tinfoilhat:) the incidents that have occurred are "HOLY ####### #### WORLD IS GONNA END" type events so the industry isn't doing itself any favors in the court of public opinion. Fun fact, I live less than 3 miles from a plant, giddy up!

But that's too nuanced an argument for people nowadays. You can't expect people to look into the melting point of steel beams, or the relative quality of various nuclear reactors.  People are inclined to see risk where they want to see risk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, culdeus said:

But that's too nuanced an argument for people nowadays. You can't expect people to look into the melting point of steel beams, or the relative quality of various nuclear reactors.  People are inclined to see risk where they want to see risk.  

Well we are nothing if not nuanced culdeus :D

:tipsfortyfortheoldclashofclansdays:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.