What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chernobyl: You didn’t see this thread, because it’s not here (Potential Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

The worst case scenario for continued use of fossil fuels isn't so rosy either. It just plays out over a much longer time period.
I'm not saying one is great and one is bad.  They all have pros and cons.  But nuclear energy is the one where worst case scenario leads to 1/4 of the earth becoming uninhabitable for 45,000 years.  

I think the key here is: Nuclear energy is not a black/white issue.

It is not evil, nor is it a safe, clean alternative.  It has both pros and cons.  But more than any other power source, it has the worst "worst case scenario."  I don't want people to ever be "comfortable" with nuclear energy.  I like to think of it the same way we think about handling a gun: always treat it as loaded.  I think it's OK to like the idea of using nuclear energy but also be worried about how deadly it can be.  
not sure that's so cut and dry.  its at least debatable.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but I believe fission would still have the risks of catastrophic explosions.  Probably put that as 1A on the risk list.
Fusion, not fission (well, fission too obviously, but we already do that). But yeah, starting an uncontrollable chain reaction that consumes the earth in a ball of fire would be bad. I have to imagine that it wouldn't be quite so "free" as the safety measures that would need to be in place along with cost of delivery would still exist.

The implications for countries in the Middle East, South America, Russia, etc who survive financially largely based on huge oil reserves would be huge. It could either take away all their power and force them to compromise, or cause them to start WWIII out of desperation.

Fusion, not fission (well, fission too obviously, but we already do that). But yeah, starting an uncontrollable chain reaction that consumes the earth in a ball of fire would be bad. I have to imagine that it wouldn't be quite so "free" as the safety measures that would need to be in place along with cost of delivery would still exist.

The implications for countries in the Middle East, South America, Russia, etc who survive financially largely based on huge oil reserves would be huge. It could either take away all their power and force them to compromise, or cause them to start WWIII out of desperation.
Yeah.  This has kind of been my worry for when we move off of fossil fuels.  It's a very serious threat.  Especially from Russia.  Russia pretty much produces nothing.  They rely almost totally on their Oil&Gas.  When that is gone, what then?  Just collapse or submit to the West?  

You should love this then.  My buddy said that the entire reason he always wanted to do this project was to tell the story most people don't know - specifically the story of the Liquidators of Chernobyl.  He said in a Q&A when asked by one of their descendants that the main purpose of the miniseries was to let people know what they did and to "hopefully do them the justice they deserve." 
Only half way through the first ep, but so far, so well done.  Like saving private Ryan level of opening.

I don't know if there's a thread on it, and I didn't really see much in the news on it, but over the weekend I caught a quick article about an explosion at a Russian military facility.  Of course, no reason to worry.  Everything is fine.  Not great.  But not terrible.

Of course, they are shipping in huge amounts of iodine to the people of the surrounding town.  I'm sure it's nothing.  Russians seem pretty upfront about disasters.  Who knows, I may not have even seen iodine because there was no iodine there. 

TheIronSheik said:
I don't know if there's a thread on it, and I didn't really see much in the news on it, but over the weekend I caught a quick article about an explosion at a Russian military facility.  Of course, no reason to worry.  Everything is fine.  Not great.  But not terrible.

Of course, they are shipping in huge amounts of iodine to the people of the surrounding town.  I'm sure it's nothing.  Russians seem pretty upfront about disasters.  Who knows, I may not have even seen iodine because there was no iodine there. 
I refereed to it as Chernobyl 2: Electric Boogaloo at some point last week with my :obc:  GBs

TheIronSheik said:

NOTHING TO SEE HERE...MOVE ALONG PLEASE...NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!! It was a "small" nuclear reactor, no need to panic.

https://time.com/5649826/russia-nuclear-accident/

Coincidentally, the people that own the local nuke plant are passing out free iodine tabs next week.  I am stocking up. 

Just finished HBO mini-series last night and enjoyed it.  Would be interested in what's it like now in and around Chernobyl.  Heard wildlife and some people are returning.

Keeps getting better

"There is speculation that Russia was testing a superweapon when a suspected nuclear leak occurred.

However, Moscow authorities have not provided full details of the incident, with the Kremlin declaring: 'Accidents happen.'"

I read that imagining the dude at Chernobyl that said "not good, not bad" saying it then giving an indifferent shoulder shrug.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7363507/Has-entire-Russian-town-poisoned-Putins-secret-nuclear-disaster.html
I see daily mail and I immediately know it just has to be true.

I saw that two radiation detection units near the site went down this weekend and Russia said that they are experiencing normal network connectivity issues.  So, nothing to worry about, I guess.

I saw that two radiation detection units near the site went down this weekend and Russia said that they are experiencing normal network connectivity issues.  So, nothing to worry about, I guess.
we read the same parts of the internet  :hifive:   ⚡

Not good...not bad

Not great...not terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three Mile Island closes its doors today.  They have 60 years to decommission it.  And they said they'd start in 2078.  Which makes me think that I was put in charge of doing it, because that's some A+ procrastination right there.

The most worrisome part is that the two safety inspectors who currently work there will no longer work there.  So no safety officer onsite and they don't even know how often they'll come to visit.  Not great.... not terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread