What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2011 Carolina Panther's Thread (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
Props to Commish for the tag line.

Should have started this thread a while ago. The year started out with so much promise with Fox leaving town. Personally I think we took one step forward only to take two back last night. I'll cheer for Cam but will go on record as saying this was one of the all time worst picks.

The Trinity from hell will set this franchise back for years. Father Hurney, richardSon, and Holy Bust. 3 QBs last year wasn't enough for Hurney. Richardson dumped salary for a lockout that isn't going to happen and probably alienated any free agent from considering Carolina. Richardson could have had a rookie pay reduction in place but blew that.

Before we get to look forward to a division 2 college offense, I'm betting on the good times of an extended and bitter holdout. Maybe Jimmy can bring us some Luck in 2012 and Hurney can trade Cam for a mid 4th round pick.

I hope I'm wrong on this outlook but I'm not holding my breath for any rings.

I'm one of the few Cam supporters, or so it seems. I think you guys will be in ok shape. I think last year really soured you guys on your roster, but it's better than you think. Injuries to key spots and a pathetic QB group hurt you last year. Cam will have growing pains, but I think he'll do well. A run-first offense and a solid defense should get you 4-7 wins this year, and if you can start nailing some picks, things will improve over time.

The Armanti Edwards trade is what really hurts. Hopefully he picks things up, because he looked lost last year.

Armanti can't be counted. That's a lost pick. We'll see what the Pats do with it tonight and what players go in that range, what could have been. Probably one of the worst draft trades/decisions in a long time reaching for him like that.

I'm leaning more on the side of Cam not living up to this pick, but it's just hard to picture how it's going to work out. I'm warming to him being ok as a grinder QB, but leaning slightly more on the bust side right now without seeing him in an NFL uni yet.

I am in. How much are dues?

In Cameron we trust. The dude is going to revolutionize the QB position.

4 wins max in '11

Thanks for starting this Doug. I do think Newton's presence will help the running game. Add in a healthy Jeff Otah and hopefully an OL draft pick that can start at either Tackle or Guard and we're looking at a good OL.

Picture Newton under center, faking the hand off to DeAngelo only to roll out himself and hit Shockey who is on a slant pattern. Or maybe he runs with it thanks to superb blocking by both their new OG (yet to be picked) and Brandon LaFell.

Here's a question... what jersey number will Cam choose? Clausen has #2 currently. He wore #11 at the combine - that seemed to suit him pretty well, but LaFell has that already. He could go #1 a-la his mentor Warren Moon. Thoughts?

Thanks for starting this Doug. I do think Newton's presence will help the running game. Add in a healthy Jeff Otah and hopefully an OL draft pick that can start at either Tackle or Guard and we're looking at a good OL.Picture Newton under center, faking the hand off to DeAngelo only to roll out himself and hit Shockey who is on a slant pattern. Or maybe he runs with it thanks to superb blocking by both their new OG (yet to be picked) and Brandon LaFell. Here's a question... what jersey number will Cam choose? Clausen has #2 currently. He wore #11 at the combine - that seemed to suit him pretty well, but LaFell has that already. He could go #1 a-la his mentor Warren Moon. Thoughts?
How many wins do you such in 11 Jeff?

Thanks for starting this Doug. I do think Newton's presence will help the running game. Add in a healthy Jeff Otah and hopefully an OL draft pick that can start at either Tackle or Guard and we're looking at a good OL.

Picture Newton under center, faking the hand off to DeAngelo only to roll out himself and hit Shockey who is on a slant pattern. Or maybe he runs with it thanks to superb blocking by both their new OG (yet to be picked) and Brandon LaFell.

Here's a question... what jersey number will Cam choose? Clausen has #2 currently. He wore #11 at the combine - that seemed to suit him pretty well, but LaFell has that already. He could go #1 a-la his mentor Warren Moon. Thoughts?
DeAngelo Who?

I really hope I'm wrong. I think has Newton has all the potential in the world. It's up to him if we see it or not. I also keep in mind that it's a brand new coaching staff as well. I KNOW FOR A FACT he would have been a bust with Davidson and company at the offensive controls. So there's hope there. I expect very little from them this year or next, especially if Richardson continues his BS ways.

I don't think it was the greatest harbinger of success that the first thing Cam said he was going to do now that hes a Panther is go on VACATION. I'd have preferred to hear "Get my play book and get to work at being a champion" or something similarly indicative of his drive and work ethic.

Thanks for starting this Doug. I do think Newton's presence will help the running game. Add in a healthy Jeff Otah and hopefully an OL draft pick that can start at either Tackle or Guard and we're looking at a good OL.Picture Newton under center, faking the hand off to DeAngelo only to roll out himself and hit Shockey who is on a slant pattern. Or maybe he runs with it thanks to superb blocking by both their new OG (yet to be picked) and Brandon LaFell. Here's a question... what jersey number will Cam choose? Clausen has #2 currently. He wore #11 at the combine - that seemed to suit him pretty well, but LaFell has that already. He could go #1 a-la his mentor Warren Moon. Thoughts?
How many wins do you such in 11 Jeff?
As of right now - I don't see more than 5. Playing the NFC North and the tough NFC South is not going to be easy.

DeAngelo Who?
I think he means Mike Goodson, who will inevitably be subbing for the injured Jonathan Stewart. I did giggle at the "hitting" of Shockey on the slant...he'll definitely be in the luxury box by week 3.

We are in rebuilding mode so I don't expect a lot this year in terms of wins. I hope to see Newton play some this year. It will be interesting to see what we do this offseason once things are allowed to resume as normal. That is if things resume to normal. This whole lockout thing has really muddied the waters.

DeAngelo Who?
I think he means Mike Goodson, who will inevitably be subbing for the injured Jonathan Stewart. I did giggle at the "hitting" of Shockey on the slant...he'll definitely be in the luxury box by week 3.
I think they keep DeAngelo. They need him, plus Rivera may have eluded to them keeping him this year when he talked about certain plays with DeAngelo. Will they keep Smitty? That's not too likely. Hopefully they can trade him later on for a 2012 pick, because they will need one after trading up once again to get into the 2nd round this year. ;-)Would love to see them trade up for Marvin Austin...provided they don't give up too much. If they had the 2nd round pick this year, it would be a no brainer. Right now the 2nd round pick is essentially Armanti.

I was skeptical of the Newton pick, but after listening to him and considering the need for QB, I can't help but be optimistic. I'm an optimist by nature. Now that Newton is our player, I have to support him.

This is the NFL. I'm not sure how the Panthers could do it, but every year, alot of crappy teams will win 6 to 8 games. Maybe they can be one of them.

The OL getting healthy and returning to form (when they were one of the better one's in the league) would go along way.

With a healthy OL, maybe Clausen, with the extra motivation, sees a drastic improvement.

If that doesn't happen, I actually do like Newton's chances to help this year. I'm dubious about his long-term prospects, but we've seen a really athletic QB be able to make enough plays to make a team competitive early on in their careers. Vick and Young both won alot of games before they did much developing as a passer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Props to Commish for the tag line.Should have started this thread a while ago. The year started out with so much promise with Fox leaving town. Personally I think we took one step forward only to take two back last night. I'll cheer for Cam but will go on record as saying this was one of the all time worst picks.The Trinity from hell will set this franchise back for years. Father Hurney, richardSon, and Holy Bust. 3 QBs last year wasn't enough for Hurney. Richardson dumped salary for a lockout that isn't going to happen and probably alienated any free agent from considering Carolina. Richardson could have had a rookie pay reduction in place but blew that. Before we get to look forward to a division 2 college offense, I'm betting on the good times of an extended and bitter holdout. Maybe Jimmy can bring us some Luck in 2012 and Hurney can trade Cam for a mid 4th round pick.I hope I'm wrong on this outlook but I'm not holding my breath for any rings.
Wow, what a bad attitude towards the new chapter for the cats. It's fine to have reservations, but that is just a total bash towards your team. I still don't know why you don't go back to being a Chicago Bears fan.I'm looking forward to this year. Expectations are low for a winning season, but I'm interested in seeing how the new staff runs the team, and how the new and old players shake out. I'm fine that we took the risk with Cam at #1. QB was a glaring need, and I prefer we begin our new Rivera era with a young one. Kerry Collins worked out well for us his rookie season, so I hope we have that with Cam. Much of the team is young, and it's not like we must win now because our door is closing. Our door closed a couple years ago. We have nowhere to go but up at this point. It's going to take some time, but I hope Rivera builds us into a strong team. I'm certainly going to give him the chance.

Props to Commish for the tag line.Should have started this thread a while ago. The year started out with so much promise with Fox leaving town. Personally I think we took one step forward only to take two back last night. I'll cheer for Cam but will go on record as saying this was one of the all time worst picks.The Trinity from hell will set this franchise back for years. Father Hurney, richardSon, and Holy Bust. 3 QBs last year wasn't enough for Hurney. Richardson dumped salary for a lockout that isn't going to happen and probably alienated any free agent from considering Carolina. Richardson could have had a rookie pay reduction in place but blew that. Before we get to look forward to a division 2 college offense, I'm betting on the good times of an extended and bitter holdout. Maybe Jimmy can bring us some Luck in 2012 and Hurney can trade Cam for a mid 4th round pick.I hope I'm wrong on this outlook but I'm not holding my breath for any rings.
Wow, what a bad attitude towards the new chapter for the cats. It's fine to have reservations, but that is just a total bash towards your team. I still don't know why you don't go back to being a Chicago Bears fan.I'm looking forward to this year. Expectations are low for a winning season, but I'm interested in seeing how the new staff runs the team, and how the new and old players shake out. I'm fine that we took the risk with Cam at #1. QB was a glaring need, and I prefer we begin our new Rivera era with a young one. Kerry Collins worked out well for us his rookie season, so I hope we have that with Cam. Much of the team is young, and it's not like we must win now because our door is closing. Our door closed a couple years ago. We have nowhere to go but up at this point. It's going to take some time, but I hope Rivera builds us into a strong team. I'm certainly going to give him the chance.
I have very large reservations, but I'm generally patient when it comes to stuff like this. However, Richardson's actions the last two years have really soured me on the patience thing. If he wants to run his team that way and put the NFL over his fan base fine. However, that comes with a much shorter leash from the fan base. Is good will is virtually gone at this point.

Sorry that I have an opinion and don't do the homer thing real well. This team deserves to be bashed after what they've done to the fans. Fox did a horrible coaching job over the last couple of years. Richardson put the league before the team and then screwed the pooch on that too.

So I have this, um, .."friend" who might be in the market for a new username. Any ideas?

Is Mike Shula going to be able to get Newton on the right track quickly? David Garrard and Trent Dilfer both made Pro Bowls under his guidance.

Bass, I hadn't really thought much about the ramifications in free agency with Richardson leading the lockout charge. We just may be the least desirable spot in the league now for free agents to come. It's a shame since we now have the cap space. The only guys interested in coming here may be the ones looking for that last decent paycheck before hanging up their cleats(Shockey).

Sorry that I have an opinion and don't do the homer thing real well. This team deserves to be bashed after what they've done to the fans. Fox did a horrible coaching job over the last couple of years. Richardson put the league before the team and then screwed the pooch on that too.
Doing the homer thing well? You're seriously going there? I agree that the team was poorly coached over the last couple years, although I think Fox had his hands tied last year due to Richardson not letting him spend any money in FA since he was prepping for the lockout. Fox was pretty much set up to fail last season, so I can't blame him for how last season went. I'm not just talking about the last couple years however; You consistently bash the Panthers every single year, not just the last two, and this isn't Fox or his staff this year, yet you still have nothing positive to say. It's all negative. Saying you'll cheer for Cam, but you also go on record as saying it is one of the all time worst picks is nothing but a backhanded slap. I couldn't imagine being such a pessimistic person all time.

Please don't let this devolve into a Cam Newton thread..

Lets talk about:

D-Will

S.Smith

O-line

Def

Anything but Newton.... I am having nightmares about him at this point.. WILL EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT CAM NEWTON!?!?!? :cry:

Please don't let this devolve into a Cam Newton thread..Lets talk about:D-WillS.SmithO-lineDefAnything but Newton.... I am having nightmares about him at this point.. WILL EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT CAM NEWTON!?!?!? :cry:
When did you become a Carolina Panther fan? Why wouldn't Panther fans be talking about our #1 pick? If you want to talk about all those other things then talk about them. All you did was list them.

Did I just hear correctly that Brandon Hogan has been arrested 3 times in the past year? Oh well, he was 2nd team all Big East, and I'm sure he'll be much more responsible once he gets some cash to play around with. :rolleyes:

I realize mid-rounders are often high risk, but three arrests in 12 months seems more like a 95% chance of failure.

You consistently bash the Panthers every single year, not just the last two, and this isn't Fox or his staff this year, yet you still have nothing positive to say. It's all negative. Saying you'll cheer for Cam, but you also go on record as saying it is one of the all time worst picks is nothing but a backhanded slap. I couldn't imagine being such a pessimistic person all time.
1) Why wouldn't I cheer for the guy to succeed even if I think the pick sucks?2) I have plenty of positive things to say when warranted...there has been much positive to comment on lately.

Anyone have any comments about the rest of the draft? I didn't follow it as closely this year as years past and really don't know what we're looking at with our 3rd - 7th rd picks.

Do have to say that I've been impressed with everything I've heard come out of Cam's mouth during interviews.

Do have to say that I've been impressed with everything I've heard come out of Cam's mouth during interviews.
PR has had to be a strong suit for him. No question, he's very good at it. He's been in the spotlight a lot. As far as the draft, I am underwhelmed. They at least drafted the positions they need help at, but I'm not sure how any of them are going to pan out. Two DT in the third round (one of which seems to be just there for the run) is a bit odd Even in the 5th round, taking the WR seemed like a stretch. I'd probably give the whole thing a C- or D+ETA: I will say I am happy they made it out of the draft without giving future picks away. That's progress IMO.

PR has had to be a strong suit for him. No question, he's very good at it. He's been in the spotlight a lot. As far as the draft, I am underwhelmed. They at least drafted the positions they need help at, but I'm not sure how any of them are going to pan out. Two DT in the third round (one of which seems to be just there for the run) is a bit odd Even in the 5th round, taking the WR seemed like a stretch. I'd probably give the whole thing a C- or D+ETA: I will say I am happy they made it out of the draft without giving future picks away. That's progress IMO.
I mean this with all seriousness. I am positive that when it comes to the draft I could do a way better job than Hurney. No doubt in my mind.

Anyone have any comments about the rest of the draft? I didn't follow it as closely this year as years past and really don't know what we're looking at with our 3rd - 7th rd picks.
I'm sure you probably looked it up by now, but the rest of draft goes as follows...1.01. Cam Newton.3rd rd pick 65 - Terrell McClain, DT (South Florida) - Supposedly one of the few DTs who ran a sub 5.0 40 time, yet Gruden said he needed to work out more or something to that effect. The guy comes from a military family background is 6'2, 297 lbs. Maybe Gruden (who lives in the Tampa area and knows South Florida football) had him mixed up with someone else, but that doesn't seem too logical. 3rd rd pick 97 - Sione Fua, DT (Stanford) - Another DT. More of a run stopped than McClain. Rivera thinks he can be a younger version of Kemo. Last year the lack of a strong DT unit resulted in a 23rd ranked run defense. LBs were met with blockers sooner than they would've liked. The addition of McClain and Fua will definitely help the run defense and free up Beason, Anderson and Thomas Davis to make more tackles closer to the LOS. 4th round pick 98 - Brandon Hogan, CB (West Virginia) - Could've gone higher if not for an ACL tear in his left knee in December. Won't be able to run full speed until August, provided no setback. Panthers trying to get a 2nd round CB here at the beginning of the 4th round. Hogan also has some off field baggage that he claims is behind him - or at least he knows he needs to put it behind him :-| Hogan played QB in HS, WR as a freshman at WVU and then CB. Also may see return duties. Finished 6th in WVU history in passes defensed, despite playing only 3 years at the position. 5th rd pick 132 - Kealoha Pilares, WR (Hawaii) - Another player who might have gone higher if not for a grade 2 PCL sprain that is apparently healed. Appears to be more of a slot WR with excellent RAC skills. 6th rd pick 166 - Lawrence Wilson, LB (Connecticut). At 6'1, 229 pounds, he's more of an undersized LB, but he's a tackling machine. He led the Big East in tackles each of the last two seasons (123, 140). Said he's more comfortable as the Will LB. Definitely someone who will contribute on ST and likely will be in the mix to back up Thomas Davis.6th rd pick 202 - Zach Williams, C/G (Washington State). Williams has most recently played Center, however he also has experience at Guard. Will likely play Guard for Carolina, but could backup Ryan Kalil in a pinch. Nice utility lineman for a 6th round pick.7th rd pick 244 - Lee Ziemba, OT (Auburn). Cam's teammate at Auburn. Won SEC's Jacobs Trophy in 2010 as league's top blocker. Apparently he has a mean streak to him and he has a high motor for an OL. Will likely play RT and back up Jeff Otah.

Well, I am not particularly impressed with the draft. If Newton turns out to be better than average, I think it gives us about a "C" grade for the draft. Taking a guy with a blown acl and two drunk driving arrests in the last 12 months doesn't give me any great hope that this draft class will be good. Anyway, this is what MSNBC had to say about the Panthers draft after the Williams pick in the 6th round.

The Panthers have had a pretty unimpressive draft to date, and we have no reason to believe that Williams is going to save it.

Well, I am not particularly impressed with the draft. If Newton turns out to be better than average, I think it gives us about a "C" grade for the draft. Taking a guy with a blown acl and two drunk driving arrests in the last 12 months doesn't give me any great hope that this draft class will be good. Anyway, this is what MSNBC had to say about the Panthers draft after the Williams pick in the 6th round.

The Panthers have had a pretty unimpressive draft to date, and we have no reason to believe that Williams is going to save it.
and they took another slot wr. This draft really didnt make much sense to me. Its amazing how Hurney still has a job seeing how he has handled/botched the last 3 or so drafts.

Please don't let this devolve into a Cam Newton thread..Lets talk about:D-WillS.SmithO-lineDefAnything but Newton.... I am having nightmares about him at this point.. WILL EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT CAM NEWTON!?!?!? :cry:
When did you become a Carolina Panther fan? Why wouldn't Panther fans be talking about our #1 pick? If you want to talk about all those other things then talk about them. All you did was list them.
Been a Carolina Panther fan since the first season for the club. What's it to ya?We've drowned the Cam discussion weeks before he was drafted, it's all anyone heard in Charlotte sports talk, there were 2 very lengthily threads hear in the SP... What else is there to talk about? That hasn't already been discussed.. Tiring..

Seems like a solid enough draft to me. Without being a talent scout myself, the I like what they were trying to do.

It sounds like the 2 DTs can be helpful. I like taking the high risk/high reward CB in the 4th. The WR was draf

ted by the Panthers, so I assume he sucks. The last 3 picks sound like the type that have a good shot to help out for depth and/or special teams and might have a chance to be more.

Sounds decent to me.

I was against the first choice too, but as a fan, I am willing to give the new coaching staff a chance to work things out. I wish they'd picked Peterson, then Mallet in the 3rd, but they likely didn't think he would fall to there. I don't expect many wins this year and that's ok. We are rebuilding. I do wish they had traded up a bit to draft Bowers, though.

I don't see Cam as another Vince Young. I see him closer to a McNabb (strong, running ability, decent passer), but with better leadership qualities. He is charismatic and has an ability to gain respect in the huddle. I think the offense will rally around him more than Clausen. And he will change the attitude on the field. Lots to learn, sure. I'm willing to see how good he can develop and how the offense rallies behind him.

The running game is still there. Last season there just didn't seem to be any sense of urgency with a lame duck coaching staff and some of the injuries on the line.

With the new coaching staff, I believe Carolina will use the TE more in the passing game. I was surprised they didn't go after a top TE. Shockey is aging and has injury issues. They could have drafted Saunders out of SC late in the draft. Figured Rivera would look for a "Gates" type TE for his offense.

I think Logan will work out at a much needed position on defense. A 4 win season will give us another high pick next year. So I'll stay optimistic.

I was against the first choice too, but as a fan, I am willing to give the new coaching staff a chance to work things out. I wish they'd picked Peterson, then Mallet in the 3rd, but they likely didn't think he would fall to there. I don't expect many wins this year and that's ok. We are rebuilding. I do wish they had traded up a bit to draft Bowers, though.I don't see Cam as another Vince Young. I see him closer to a McNabb (strong, running ability, decent passer), but with better leadership qualities. He is charismatic and has an ability to gain respect in the huddle. I think the offense will rally around him more than Clausen. And he will change the attitude on the field. Lots to learn, sure. I'm willing to see how good he can develop and how the offense rallies behind him. The running game is still there. Last season there just didn't seem to be any sense of urgency with a lame duck coaching staff and some of the injuries on the line. With the new coaching staff, I believe Carolina will use the TE more in the passing game. I was surprised they didn't go after a top TE. Shockey is aging and has injury issues. They could have drafted Saunders out of SC late in the draft. Figured Rivera would look for a "Gates" type TE for his offense. I think Logan will work out at a much needed position on defense. A 4 win season will give us another high pick next year. So I'll stay optimistic.
I'm generally where you are, but I don't consider it "rebuilding" in the traditional sense. This team is in the position it is because of the owner. It's not because they had a bunch of missing pieces lost to free agency. It's not because they lost a bunch of people to injury etc. It's because the owner chose the NFL over his product. It's going to take several successful years to be the ra ra guy again.

I'm generally where you are, but I don't consider it "rebuilding" in the traditional sense. This team is in the position it is because of the owner. It's not because they had a bunch of missing pieces lost to free agency. It's not because they lost a bunch of people to injury etc. It's because the owner chose the NFL over his product. It's going to take several successful years to be the ra ra guy again.
I'll cheer them on whether they are good or bad, but I don't know if I'll own any on my fantasy team. :unsure: I definitely consider them in the rebuilding mode no matter what brought them to this point. I hope they throw Newton into the fire right away. I know some don't like that, but I don't feel we really have a veteran from him to learn behind (unless we pick one up), so let him play. I don't think Clausen progressed at all last year, but maybe it will be different with a new staff. Speaking of a new staff, I'm excited to see how they utilize everyone. It sucks that Rivera's first year as a head coach has to start with a lockout, but maybe it will give him more time to put his ducks in a row. I'll be glad when the lockout is lifted, and the NFL can go about business as usual. Here's to hoping we have a 2011 season and to our new era w/ Rivera. :banned: :football:

'simey said:
'The Commish said:
I'll cheer them on whether they are good or bad, but I don't know if I'll own any on my fantasy team. :unsure: I definitely consider them in the rebuilding mode no matter what brought them to this point. I hope they throw Newton into the fire right away. I know some don't like that, but I don't feel we really have a veteran from him to learn behind (unless we pick one up), so let him play. I don't think Clausen progressed at all last year, but maybe it will be different with a new staff. Speaking of a new staff, I'm excited to see how they utilize everyone. It sucks that Rivera's first year as a head coach has to start with a lockout, but maybe it will give him more time to put his ducks in a row. I'll be glad when the lockout is lifted, and the NFL can go about business as usual. Here's to hoping we have a 2011 season and to our new era w/ Rivera. :banned: :football:
For me, this is something else that was over looked. Last year, Fox and this team were in a no win situation. They had no options. Knowing that, I can't really make judgment on how good they were. What kind of effect does a new coach have? If Richardson decides to reengage and actually get people in here, is the talent level really as far off as it appears? I can't, with a clear conscious, say that Jimmy sucks. He appeared scared the whole year and he didn't improve, but look at his OC and staff. They were garbage and had no history of improving anyone ever There was no "coach 'em up" mentality. Hopefully, I am pleasantly surprised this year, we'll see. Still a ton of questions left around them.

By Joseph Person - Staff writer

Tags: Carolina Panthers | NFL draft | Cam Newton | Jimmy Clausen

CHARLOTTE -- Jimmy Clausen and Cam Newton took the field together for the first time Saturday at a charity kickball game - and both were wearing No. 2.

Newton, the Auburn quarterback drafted No.1 overall by the Panthers, wants Clausen's jersey number - not to mention his job.

And while Clausen has been gracious in welcoming Newton via Twitter and a personal text message, the second-year quarterback from Notre Dame indicated he's not planning to simply hand over his number or his position.

Newton wore No.2 at Auburn and said Friday he'd like to keep it. He might have to set aside some bonus money for it.

"It's mine right now," Clausen said of the No.2 jersey. "We'll see what happens."

Has Clausen set an asking price?

He smiled and said again: "We'll see what happens."

It will be interesting to see what happens when Clausen and Newton are together on a football field - whenever that might be.

Coach Ron Rivera said Newton would have a chance to start, indicating coaches don't plan on taking a cautious approach with a player who had only one season as a major-college starter. Critics have questioned how quickly Newton will be able to pick up a pro offense after running a spread at Auburn.

The thinking on Clausen when he left Notre Dame after his junior year was he would be NFL-ready, having played in Charlie Weis' pro-style system. But Clausen slipped to the second round, then went 1-9 as a starter his rookie season.

He threw three touchdowns and nine interceptions, and finished as the league's lowest-rated passer.

The Panthers decided they needed another quarterback of the future.

But they apparently aren't ready to cast Clausen aside, yet - or at least they're not telling Clausen if that is the plan.

When Clausen arrived at Bank of America Stadium early Friday morning during the brief break in the lockout, he said general manager Marty Hurney and members of Rivera's staff were encouraging.

"I talked to some coaches and Marty and they said they want me on this team and they're going to give me the opportunity to compete," Clausen said. "That's all I can ask for is a chance to compete. It's going to be fun working with Cam and just competing each and every day."

Newton arrived in Charlotte on Friday for an introductory news conference, a day of meetings with team officials and corporate sponsors. On Saturday he was at Providence High for the kickball fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Panthers left tackle Jordan Gross, whose niece has cystic fibrosis, organized the event that raised nearly $100,000.

Newton had not packed for a kickball game. He wore khakis and brown dress shoes with his No.2 T-shirt, but he agreed to play third base in the second inning.

He handled his only chance - a short hop that he fielded cleanly and got a forceout at second.

Between innings, Tremaine "QCB" Sloan, a local comic serving as an emcee, asked Newton a question a young fan had submitted:

"How do you throw so far?"

"Wheaties and milk," Newton said.

Sloan had a question from another fan:

"How many Super Bowls do you expect to win with the Panthers?"

Newton paused for several seconds and said: "Let's just say a lot."

The crowd cheered.

Newton left an inning later to catch a flight. After the lockout was restored, he changed his travel plans.

He declined to speak to reporters as he was escorted to a sport utility vehicle by a couple members of the Panthers' security detail.

But Gross was pleased Newton came out.

"It was a whirlwind weekend (for Newton) being in New York, being in the spotlight, coming down here doing the interviews, meeting the owners," Gross said. "To take time to come down here, that says a lot. He didn't even have proper clothes to wear, which we were giving him a hard time about. But it's pretty neat that he showed up."

It's been a tough offseason for Clausen. He had surgery on his right foot to remove a neuroma, a coined-size thickening of nerve tissue near the ball of his foot.

His agent, Gary Wichard, died in March of pancreatic cancer. The lockout prevented any interaction between him and the new coaching staff.

And then the Panthers took a quarterback with the first pick in the draft.

But Clausen seemed to be enjoying Saturday, chewing on sunflower seeds and high-fiving infielders as he rounded the bases on a home run.

"Marty and the organization need to do what they had to do," Clausen said. "If they feel (Newton) is the best fit for the organization and the team to help the team, I'm looking forward to competing with him. He's a teammate of ours now, so you've got to embrace him and bring him in like anyone else."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/01/1167331/clausen-isnt-ready-to-give-up.html#ixzz1LDaD0hKR

Cam wasn't my first choice. I think we would have been better served by Peterson or a top DT. But he's ours and here we are. My guess is the best we get this year is a performance close to Josh Freeman's his first year. Hopefully we see the same kind of flashes we did from Josh so we know we got a keeper.

Cam wasn't my first choice. I think we would have been better served by Peterson or a top DT. But he's ours and here we are. My guess is the best we get this year is a performance close to Josh Freeman's his first year. Hopefully we see the same kind of flashes we did from Josh so we know we got a keeper.
I'm just hoping for something closer to Vince Young than Chris Weinke.

'BassNBrew said:
'NCCommish said:
I'm just hoping for something closer to Vince Young than Chris Weinke.
I'd take Vince with more maturity.

This is how others have rated the draft for us. Pretty much comes down to Newton. If he flops, it's bad. If he's average, it's ok, but if he's great, it's still only kinda good.

Some views of writers from around the country on how the Carolina Panthers did during last week’s NFL draft:

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com grades the Panthers at a C for the draft. His thoughts:

BEST PICK: Third-round defensive tackle Sione Fua is a power player who will help at a position of dire need.

QUESTIONABLE MOVE: Taking Cam Newton with the first pick in the draft after taking Jimmy Clausen last year. Newton is a very high risk-reward prospect.

THIRD-DAY GEM: Sixth-round linebacker Lawrence Wilson was a productive player at Connecticut who will add speed to the linebacker group.

ANALYSIS: Their draft will be defined by Newton. If he becomes a star, this will be a nice draft. If he busts, heads will roll. I like the pick of two defensive tackles after the Newton pick.

Joe Adams of the Detroit News calls it a B. Adams writes: “Had to take Cam Newton, though Marcell Dareus would have been a perfect fit. Got DTs with their next two picks and a CB in the fourth. It’s a start for a team that needs everything.”

Adam Caplan of FoxSports.com gives the Panthers a B-. Caplan writes that “Newton has a long way to go before he’s ready to play, but a strong running game will help him. The Panthers failed to add badly needed pass rushers and speed at wide receiver.”

Miami Herald writer David J. Neal gives the Panthers a C. He writes: “They spent the No. 1 overall pick on a super athletic quarterback who started one year at the top college level and comes with character questions. If Cam Newton becomes a star, the draft grade’s an A. If he becomes a JaMarcus or even a V. Young, it’s an F. That’s the meat of it. All the rest is so much parsley.”

Jason Cole of Yahoo! gives the Panthers a D. Cole writes: “This is a prime example of why it’s not wise to grade drafts right after they end. If Newton becomes a franchise player, this is a great draft. If not, it could be a disaster. As it is, the Panthers didn’t have their second-round pick after the ill-conceived trade in 2010 to give up that selection for a third-rounder last year that was used to get Armanti Edwards. Edwards ended up playing in three games and contributing nothing. As for Newton, he may have more tools than a hardware store, but it may take him a long time to learn to use them. He’s not quite as risky a selection as JaMarcus Russell, but there certainly are concerns. The selection of McClain and Fua were good value picks in the third round, but this team is hurting for offensive help around Newton.”

Scott Garbarini of The Sports Network says the Panthers deserve a C- and says, “Newton gives Carolina fans something to get excited about, but the rest of the Panthers’ first draft for new head coach Ron Rivera is littered with either marginal prospects or guys with question marks. … Lawrence Wilson is undersized but is one of the better coverage linebackers in this draft. If he can add some bulk, the Panthers may have a nice sleeper on their hands.”

Garbarini questions why “a team that absolutely needed to put together a strong draft took so many chances. Fourth-round pick Hogan is a noted character risk and tore his ACL in December, Fua may have been available a couple rounds later and even Newton’s far from a sure thing.”

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/03/1...#ixzz1LHwaHtWR

Highlights from Marty Hurney interview.

* Clausen going to get a chance to play. They are not giving up on him.

* Took a chance on CB Brandon Hogan. They believe he has low 1st round talent. Great man to man coverage skills. Could be a home run pick.

* No word on whether or not they will pursue a veteran FA QB

* Likes Cam Newton's leadership and winning tendencies. Researched him heavily

* #1 priority for FA is to resign their core players. Signing a veteran QB is still a possibility.

* Jersey number gate - Won't be decided until lockout ends. Might involve #7 Jason Baker, who has the jersey number Clausen wants.

* He danced around the talk of Steve Smith being traded

* Feels very good about Ron Rivera and his coaching staff.

* Jeff Otah is reportedly 100%

Users who are viewing this thread