What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (4 Viewers)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
We have been pouring our thoughts into the Rock thread but we might as well have a single home for them here.

Post away.

I am copying my last post from the Rock thread to get the ball rolling here

===========================================================================

* I thought Raw was pretty good last night. The Rock was smooth as usual and Vince's surprise showing at the end actually felt genuine.

* I still have no idea how they intend to build the Cena Rock match. Cena won the belt too early IMO.

* The WWE front office still has to be scratching their heads. Miz again got more cheers when winning last night then Cena did when the decision was reversed.

* I love Kharma but I am unsure what they are doing yet. She is squashing the heels for no reason. oh well, I guess they can't build too much of a story with only 3 minutes of air time each week for the Diva's.

* WWE is going to need a way to rebuild Del Rio. Having him lose in back to back championship matches is going to make the rebuild tougher

* I have to say, R Truth is doing a fantastic job as a heel. I did not think he had it in him.

* Anyone watching Tough Enough? I am enjoying it so far. I watched a couple of seasons of the original run that I liked and this update is pretty good although I am not really seeing anyone stand out that I think could be a real star. Luke has a bit of the Miz thing going on but that is about it. Martin may be the best technically but he could not have a more plain look or personality. The women on the show flat out suck. Although Alicia Fox's sister has a incredibly beautiful face.

I remember crying when Macho Man turned on Hogan and the Mega Powers

ETA: What makes this worse is the fact that I just looked at the year and I was like 10 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember crying when Macho Man turned on Hogan and the Mega PowersETA: What makes this worse is the fact that I just looked at the year and I was like 10 years old
The beauty of that angle was that everyone and their mother saw that split coming for months, yet when it happened it was still pretty dramatic and well-executed (except for Beefcake's botch). Sadly, they all but abandoned the feud on television following WM in lieu of that silly thing with Zeus over that horrendous No Holds Barred movie. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I remember crying when Macho Man turned on Hogan and the Mega PowersETA: What makes this worse is the fact that I just looked at the year and I was like 10 years old
The beauty of that angle was that everyone and their mother saw that split coming for months, yet when it happened it was still pretty dramatic and well-executed (except for Beefcake's botch). Sadly, they all but abandoned the feud on television following WM in lieu of that silly thing with Zeus over that horrendous No Holds Barred movie. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Oh my God. No Holds Barred. Brings back... nightmares.

I am interested in reading a wrestling book. I know there are a ton of biographies out there. Any recommendations? I like the behind the scenes stuff, dirt etc.

I am interested in reading a wrestling book. I know there are a ton of biographies out there. Any recommendations? I like the behind the scenes stuff, dirt etc.
"Have A Nice Day" by Mick Foley was a very entertaining read, and got about as inside as anything else I have seen.

Is anyone else confused by the Montreal Screwjob from years ago? The more I research it the more confused I get. It is so confusing that I am starting to think the whole thing was an enormous work after years of thinking it was real.

I still can't get past the simple fact that I don't understand the whole need for the screw job. If you are told to drop the belt don't you have to do it else risk being fired?

I still dont understand how Andre was only ever a WWF champion once.
He was the biggest draw in the business without the belt. Why not put the belt on someone else to also build them up as a draw?Besides, how do you get the belt off of Andre without killing his undefeated streak?

He never needed a "push", never needed a storyline, you went to see Andre because he was Andre. From what I have read, never had an ego or need to be considered the best or champion. So Vince could either promote the champion at an event, or Andre at an event. No need to make them one and the same.

Vince's dad was convinced that while Andre was his biggest draw, he was concerned if he appeared too much in any one area his appeal would drop. As such Vince Sr sent Andre on constant trips all over the world. In those days people held the belts for a long time and since Andre was never around for long in any one area he was never in the plot lines.It was not until Vince Jr took control did Andre have an extended stay in the area.

The Iron Sheik shoot videos are great for getting behind the scenes stuff.
, the Iron Sheik discusses B. Brian Blair and the lost art of humbling.

"Have A Nice Day" by Mick Foley was a very entertaining read, and got about as inside as anything else I have seen.
Another recommendation for "Have a Nice Day".
Jericho's book is pretty good too.
I haven't read it. I may have to look into it.

Where does Miz go from here?

He is a tricky to write for. I am unsure whether they will ever put the belt on him again but like another small wrestler in Piper, you can still be very important without ever winning the title. I am worried that they are starting to miss the window to turn him.

I don't think Miz has Pipers comedic timing but I would not be surprised to see WWE try and create some sort of interview show for him that has been done a few times since Pipers pit, with mixed results.

Is anyone else confused by the Montreal Screwjob from years ago? The more I research it the more confused I get. It is so confusing that I am starting to think the whole thing was an enormous work after years of thinking it was real. I still can't get past the simple fact that I don't understand the whole need for the screw job. If you are told to drop the belt don't you have to do it else risk being fired?
Bret Hart had some type of creative clause in his contract, that allowed him to have some control over his character. Given how Michaels always disrespected him, he simply didn't want to drop the belt to him in Canada at the PPV before leaving weeks later for WCW. He said he would drop the belt to any number of wrestlers, but HHH got in McMahon's ear and convinced him that Bret was gonna bail on them and show up in WCW with the WWF belt (which he never would have done), so the plan was then hatched to screw him. When it was all said and done, at least McMahon maned up and admitted what he did. Michaels and HHH immediately both denied having anything to do with it. But what do you expect from pieces of #### like those guys?

Is anyone else confused by the Montreal Screwjob from years ago? The more I research it the more confused I get. It is so confusing that I am starting to think the whole thing was an enormous work after years of thinking it was real. I still can't get past the simple fact that I don't understand the whole need for the screw job. If you are told to drop the belt don't you have to do it else risk being fired?
Bret Hart had some type of creative clause in his contract, that allowed him to have some control over his character. Given how Michaels always disrespected him, he simply didn't want to drop the belt to him in Canada at the PPV before leaving weeks later for WCW. He said he would drop the belt to any number of wrestlers, but HHH got in McMahon's ear and convinced him that Bret was gonna bail on them and show up in WCW with the WWF belt (which he never would have done), so the plan was then hatched to screw him. When it was all said and done, at least McMahon maned up and admitted what he did. Michaels and HHH immediately both denied having anything to do with it. But what do you expect from pieces of #### like those guys?
The irony of a scripted sport needing to legit cheat is fabulous :)

I want it to be 1983 again and have all 3 Von Erich's alive and in their prime again. David's death was the start of me no longer being able to enjoy wrestling as a Kayfabe mark.

Where does Miz go from here?He is a tricky to write for. I am unsure whether they will ever put the belt on him again but like another small wrestler in Piper, you can still be very important without ever winning the title. I am worried that they are starting to miss the window to turn him. I don't think Miz has Pipers comedic timing but I would not be surprised to see WWE try and create some sort of interview show for him that has been done a few times since Pipers pit, with mixed results.
Miz is like the anti-Orton. Brilliant on the mic, but terrible in the ring. He's getting better but he botched a sequence in the Cena match just this past Monday. Cena pushed Miz into the corner and instead of bouncing back out of the corner, Miz hesitated and Cena had to suspend his own ropework to wait on Miz to head back towards the center of the ring to continue with his move.As for where they go with his character. I think they have a nice little feud brewing between him and Alex Reilly. The only problem is they drafted A-Ri to Smackdown and yet he still appearing on Raw the following week. :confused:

I want it to be 1983 again and have all 3 Von Erich's alive and in their prime again. David's death was the start of me no longer being able to enjoy wrestling as a Kayfabe mark.
Great posting.Grew up on WCCW and still my favorite to this day. If Fritz would have handled the business side a bit better, and fired himself as booker so not to only push his kids, WCCW very well could be what WWE is today. Had the best stable of workers and stars during the 80s. And this area simple ate it up.

Great posting.Grew up on WCCW and still my favorite to this day. If Fritz would have handled the business side a bit better, and fired himself as booker so not to only push his kids, WCCW very well could be what WWE is today. Had the best stable of workers and stars during the 80s. And this area simple ate it up.
yeah. was so brilliant for a 2-3 year period. Was the height of the kayfabe time period for me.Fritz did not seem to be a very stable guy. In the Hero's Of World Class DVD, he comes off very poorly in terms of how he not only handled the business but his own sons. Even Kevin himself barely had anything good to say about him.

Between drugs and depression, this family was utterly destroyed and Fritz could only think of who of his sons he could immediately push to make up for another death.

Still brings a tear to my eye after all these years :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJFHprA54s

Bret was leaving, so the threat of being fired wasn't a real concern. Beyond that he and Vince agree that he would drop it to Shawn back in America.

WCCW had a rabid fan base and the three top Von Erichs (especially David) could have been long-term national stars. As you mention, Fritz was too conservative and settled for a strong Texas base when there was potential for so much more. They certainly could have vied for the types of viewers attracted to the NWA at least - the adult, workrate fan base of the 1980s.

Rent "Wrestling with Shadows" They were doing a documentary on Brett at the time and managed to get it all on tape.

Bret was leaving, so the threat of being fired wasn't a real concern. Beyond that he and Vince agree that he would drop it to Shawn back in America.
The fact of the matter is that after Madusa showed up on Nitro to dump the WWF Womens Title in the trash, Vince had to consider something similar happening as a realistic possibility, no matter how much he would like to trust Bret. Even if Bret himself wouldn't do that, or take the belt with him, Vince had to assume that if Bret left the Survivor Series as champion that Bischoff would brag about having acquired "The current WWF Champion Bret Hart" the next night on Nitro. That alone could have been catastrophic to the WWF at a time where Vince was struggling to stay afloat.It was real. And Vince did the right thing.

another brilliant time period! Loved the Jim Crocket promotions years.people have been trying to recreate the 4 horsemen gimmick for 2 decades now and no one has come close.

WCCW had a rabid fan base and the three top Von Erichs (especially David) could have been long-term national stars. As you mention, Fritz was too conservative and settled for a strong Texas base when there was potential for so much more. They certainly could have vied for the types of viewers attracted to the NWA at least - the adult, workrate fan base of the 1980s.
I think David and Kerry both had a chance to be national stars.As I mentioned in the other thread, when Vince decided to go national, he needed a mega face to lead him out of the regional era. He choice came down to two people, Kerry and Hulk. Obviously with Kerry's self destruction and Hulk's run, Vince could not have made a better decision.But the fact that Kerry was considered that late in the process shows what his potential was.David was always my favorite. Of all the wrestlers who left us too early, I think David was arguably the biggest loss.

WCCW very well could be what WWE is today. Had the best stable of workers and stars during the 80s. And this area simple ate it up.
<--- I ate it up so much that I permanently moved to Badstreet, U.S.A.
The Freebirds were the near perfect foil for the Von Erichs. They set up the feud brilliantly and then drove it home with so many classic matches. It was almost embarrassing to watch the WWE version of the country whoopin match after WCCW did it to near perfection as part of the feud.

The only wrestling match I ever attended was in Greenville,SC in 1987.The main event was:

The Road Warriors,Dusty Rhodes, and Paul Ellering

vs

Ric Flair, Arn and Tully Anderson, and JJ Dillon

Still remember it to this day!

I have read quite a few of them. My list would be. I have both Jericho books on the to read list. Top 10 are all very good1 billy graham2 tery funk3 Bobby the Brain4 Mick Foley first book5 Hitman 6 Million Dollar Man7 Larry Zbyszko8 piper9 jerry lawler10 harley race11 dusty rhodes12 NWA - untold story13 rick flair14 hollywood hulk hogan15 Mick Foley 2nd book

I have read quite a few of them. My list would be. I have both Jericho books on the to read list. Top 10 are all very good1 billy graham2 tery funk3 Bobby the Brain4 Mick Foley first book5 Hitman 6 Million Dollar Man7 Larry Zbyszko8 piper9 jerry lawler10 harley race11 dusty rhodes12 NWA - untold story13 rick flair14 hollywood hulk hogan15 Mick Foley 2nd book
well this should keep me busy :) Thanks for the list!

Users who are viewing this thread