Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
NewlyRetired

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread***

Posted (edited)

Wrestling is completely in the shltter. And if we're being honest, it has been for awhile. Raw I believe set the all-time lowest show viewership this week at around 1.5 million. Raw and Smackdown havent been on my radar for years.I'll watch social media clips and skim results online. Sitting at home on a Friday (and better part of 4 months now with COVID) and doesn't even register to watch Smackdown (or Raw on Mondays). I mean this in all seriousness, who can sit through that shlt?

I think there will be some initial excitement (for others) to attend a wrestling event given being shut down months/year, but the products are just catered to a very very very small and declining year after year audience, and that excitement will die down quickly IMO. Why I just laughed and shook my head when Cody said AEW would cater to existing audience and weren't looking to grow. One knew then and there you have rassler trying to play businessman.

It isn't just WWE. AEW is terrible too. They've already lost nearly half of their audience in a few months. The people that wanted to give them a chance as an alternative are long gone. I don't even view it as an alternative....it's just another overproduced lesser version of WWE with a bunch of not-over WWE castoffs and full of flips and no selling. I saw a clip of a  recent AEW spot on one of their recent shows. Literally looked like a choreographed cheerleading routine. Just sad to watch. I'm not sure it was the saddest thing I've ever seen on a "wrestling show" but it was right up there.

AEW booking isn't any better. They've done the same exact thing to the recent 3 big guys they've brought in. 2 are already directionless and 3rd likely on his way. Defeats the purpose of having "rankings" if you're giving new guys title shots right off the bat.....does nothing for them having them lose quickly (vs. building them up first). It also completely ignores your established talent you're trying to get over (and just bypassing for new guys). 

So Russev come on down.....

He won't be over w/o Lana

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

I think the decline in ratings is largely due to the virus. Wrestling just isn't an exciting industry without a live crowd. It 100% feeds off the live response and there's absolutely no replacing that kind of thing.

The other half is just that the industry is completely different from 15-20 years ago. Dirt sheets ruined it. Internet ruined it. Social media ruined it. People like Alexa Bliss get off more by owning trolls on her Twitter than by putting on a good match. That's a huge problem. People like Rollins get off more by getting into Twitter feuds and bragging about his bank account than by putting on a good match. That's a huge problem.

The style of match, style of promo, all scripted, the list goes on. Everything has changed. And it's led to where we currently are.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:08 AM, Tom Servo said:

Someone who has the WWE Network look up THIS and tell me how bad it is.

It is as bad as you think. I actually searched it out some time again, because the guy in the blue Members Only jacket is Ralph Strangis, the long time play by play guy for the Dallas Stars.

6 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

The decline of wrestling has a direct correlation with Roman Reigns being unable to perform. Prove me wrong. 

Like the PGA without Tiger.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Bogart said:

It is as bad as you think. I actually searched it out some time again, because the guy in the blue Members Only jacket is Ralph Strangis, the long time play by play guy for the Dallas Stars.

As a fan of just about everything MST3k, I'm pretty sure I would enjoy this.  

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Bobby Fulton has been readmitted to the hospital.

The cancer has returned to a different part of dad’s throat. We will need a lot of prayers. Thanks!

3:39 PM · Jul 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

:sadbanana: 

Edited by Tom Servo
  • Sad 1

They went with a fake eyeball and Seth throwing up in the Eye For An Eye match. Meh.

8 minutes ago, Bogart said:

They went with a fake eyeball and Seth throwing up in the Eye For An Eye match. Meh.

Were you expecting that the WWE was going to actually have one of their wrestlers extract another wrestler’s actual eye?

1 minute ago, bcdjr1 said:

Were you expecting that the WWE was going to actually have one of their wrestlers extract another wrestler’s actual eye?

No, of course not. But they were playing this up all week that CGI was going to be used or at least something cinematic. This was just dumb. But then the whole match stipulation was dumb.

Fast forward through much of show but thought ending of Sasha-Asuka was well done. Watched all Braun-Bray and thought it was great with a story attached. They do a good job with their cinematic matches. Cinematic matches are how they can extend the current older guy's careers w/o them embarrassing themselves live in ring and helpful since they don't have much current star power.

17 hours ago, bcdjr1 said:

WWE painted themselves into a corner with that stupid stip.  A First Blood match would've been much better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

WWE painted themselves into a corner with that stupid stip.  A First Blood match would've been much better.

Zero believability. And Seth “puking” up lumps of oatmeal was cute.

• Like 1

The Asuka - Banks match was changed...at...the...last...minute 

Meltzer notes that he believes that this change was done by Vince McMahon in an effort to increase the RAW viewership numbers, as they set a new record low of 1.561 million viewers last week. The hope is that fans will be tuning in to find out what will happen next between Sasha, Asuka, and the RAW Women's Title. 

Tv RaTiNgS aReN't ImPoRtAnT aNyMoRe! - VKM

:spongebob gif:

3 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Damn, that would have been smarter, and would have made the match had, been so much better. Rey and Seth were doing great stuff, that made no sense when you are supposed to be attacking an eye.

Rey with some type of sound byte last week: "As much as I want an eye for an eye Seth Rollins, I will settle for a pound of flesh, your flesh!!"

27 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Damn, that would have been smarter, and would have made the match had, been so much better. Rey and Seth were doing great stuff, that made no sense when you are supposed to be attacking an eye.

Rey with some type of sound byte last week: "As much as I want an eye for an eye Seth Rollins, I will settle for a pound of flesh, your flesh!!"

So corny lol. I wanna see the people writing this crap for them.

55 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/07/vince-mcmahon-reportedly-made-major-edit-to-wwe-extreme-672656/

Probably a good call. The stipulation for this match was just horrible from the beginning.

It seemed like Seth was setting up a follow up move on the steps...I honestly thought they might do a curb stomp on the corner of the steps with a dummy or something...

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/07/vince-mcmahon-reportedly-made-major-edit-to-wwe-extreme-672656/

Probably a good call. The stipulation for this match was just horrible from the beginning.

Quote of the thread:

ShBoomBa • 9 hours ago

Abdullah getting electrocuted looked authentic comparatively.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: 

Edited by Tom Servo

Eddie Kingston answers Cody’s open challenge! 

5 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Eddie Kingston answers Cody’s open challenge! 

Great, another lump of ####.   And they said on commentary he'd just lost a bunch of weight?! :lmao: :lmao:  What in the actual ####.  Full disclosure, I don't know who the guy is.  If he was an awesome indy wrestler, great.  His promo was TOP notch.  Guy can definitely talk the game, but jesus christ this guy looks nothing like a top promotion wrestler.  Have him and Janela do a 60 min broadway and the winner gets a bakers dozen of krispy kremes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coyote5 said:

Great, another lump of ####.   And they said on commentary he'd just lost a bunch of weight?! :lmao: :lmao:  What in the actual ####.  Full disclosure, I don't know who the guy is.  If he was an awesome indy wrestler, great.  His promo was TOP notch.  Guy can definitely talk the game, but jesus christ this guy looks nothing like a top promotion wrestler.  Have him and Janela do a 60 min broadway and the winner gets a bakers dozen of krispy kremes

I'd only seen him in NWA. Just meh. Nothing to remember in the ring/mic. (NWA has/had so many great guys on the mic that he doesn't measure up IMO in comparison)

Feels like a guy that would be better served in a tag team/stable.

3 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I'd only seen him in NWA. Just meh. Nothing to remember in the ring/mic. (NWA has/had so many great guys on the mic that he doesn't measure up IMO in comparison)

Feels like a guy that would be better served in a tag team/stable.

He was in ROH and TNA for awhile.  I thought the match was solid.  :shrug: 

On 7/19/2020 at 8:23 PM, Bogart said:

Didn't even watch the PPV. I honesty couldn't be bothered with anything in wrestling besides AEW and NJPW and maybe the Takeovers. I've even considered just canceling the network at this point 

On 7/23/2020 at 2:07 AM, coyote5 said:

Kingston was in James Storm Death Crew Council in TNA. He then came back as part of the new Latin American Xchange led by Diamanté's (Now in AEW) as King and they had a nice feud with original LAX Homicide and Hernandez. Real Popular in the Indy's pretty good guy too. He's from NY but wrestled in the Jersey/PA scene and had some matches in ROH from 06-14. In Sept 19 joined NWA ended up teaming up with former originally LAX member Homicide. He's really good. Him and COdi had a very good match despite you could tell they never worked together 

It's really nice to see Ivaleese in AEW and Diamanté. Surprised Diamanté. won the match though. 

Really enjoying AEW the last few weeks. 

Started watching some of the NJPW Cup. Loved the Hiroma/Yano match comedy wise. Very good comedy pieces that made sense unlike Vince's humor that makes zero and isn't funny. Favorite match so far is Ishi/Makabe. Could watch those two go for ages. 

As for rumors haven't gotten much besides a few little things. The biggest might be about NJPW/AEW partnership. 

Hearing from a few people NXT will move to Tuesday nights

Also Kari Sane declined the ambassador Role WWE wanted to give her. They even offered her a visa for her Husband. She wants to work in NJPW which owns Stardom now.

As for RAW last week 

SOURCES: All hell has broken loose at the PC. Vince blew a gasket at Brother Love for the piss poor show of last night with the comment that even Impact was better than last night”. Re-writes happening now, show might be live if not filmed and edited in time.

Also everyone who was furlough by WWE during the bloody Wednesday cuts have now been fired. 

As for NJPW/AEW partnership this came up when I discussed the Gallows/Anderson deal in Impact. Two sources told me IMPACT seems like it's run by amateurs backstage. No one has any clue how to do anything. Its a dying company. If they can't get fans by next year Impact will not be able to afford to keep most of the stars they right now. One of the best things for Impact is their TV deal as without it they'd be dead in the water right now. When I asked why the Good Brothers would go to TNA it was mostly do to them being able to work NJPW again when they are able to travel out of state. Per one source AEW/NJPW relationship isn't good at all and parties haven't talked about a deal since the New Year. it all goes back to Moxley as their US champ. My Source doesn't have details but the Young Bucks were part of the grudge. Asked my sources in their opinion who's fault this was more so or if equal blame on both sides. They said AEW. This doesn't mean you may not see Jericho at all anymore in NJPW. AEW still allows their talent to compete out of the country and Jericho and Moxley are apparently still on good terms with NJPW. However that doesn't mean AEW will accommodate for their employees to go to Japan to compete either. 

It's a shame as this is the most blatant best relationship between two promotions right now considering the people involved. 

10 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

SOURCES: All hell has broken loose at the PC. Vince blew a gasket at Brother Love for the piss poor show of last night with the comment that even Impact was better than last night”. Re-writes happening now, show might be live if not filmed and edited in time.

Shocking the guy heading creative now is the same guy responsible for the 2nd worst era creatively in WWE history the mid 90s.

Bruce will be the next guy to go. Or at best reassigned to spot he's qualified for.  Probably for the best given his health and substance abuse issues. 

• Like 1

Just now, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Shocking the guy heading creative now is the same guy responsible for the 2nd worst era creatively in WWE history the mid 90s.

Bruce will be the next guy to go. Or at best reassigned to spot he's qualified for.  Probably for the best given his health and substance abuse issues. 

Yeah WWE is in shambles creatively now. Heyman was trying to at the very least get them back to sripting for the future. Right now the only match decided for Mania next year is Orton/Edge. WWE has no end goals other then this right now. 

Today is Prince Devitt AKA Finn Balor's Birthday. Happy birthday to one of the OG's and founding member of Bullet Club 

Pro Wrestling NOAH and DDT to merge effective September 1st.

Sanshiro Takagi will serve as President with Naomichi Marufuji and Akito serving as Executive Vic Presidents. Takagi said that the in-ring of each promotion will be totally unaffected by this transaction and the goal is for the promotion to run in the Tokyo Dome and the merger was triggered by, "The economic situation driven by COVID. A lot about the future is still unclear and the entertainment industry is severely hurt, but the show must go on, and we wanted to streamline costs where we could."

• Thanks 1

CONFIRMED: Adam Cole suspended after meeting with HHH for comments on Pat Mcaffe show...

SOURCES: the IIconics will be broken up by summerslam. RUMOR: Peyton Royce is being released.

The rumor on Peyton's release has more to do with two situations. She wants to eventually be closer to her husband Shawn Spears who is in AEW at the moment. The other is that The IIconics in general among other females have not been happy with the whole WOmen's Tag Division or how it's been handled. It's said there's never any concrete plans or rhyme or reason and feuds make zero sense. Also skits/matches suppose to be on Cards have been taken off for dumb reasons such as a pointless skit for the 24/7 title or some nothing match. The general feeling in WWE is the Titles are just there for PC reasons and make certain advertising companies are happy. Stephanie McMahon was a huge push for the Women's tag Titles but it's believed it was very agenda driven to make WWE look good in the public eye where Her husband Triple H has been vouching to give the women more opportunities for yrs as he sees it as a crucial part to the business. The titles are essentially DEAD TITLES just being showncased around at this point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Ugh, poor Shayna Baszler. Guess she pulled the short straw.

Not sure if you've read any of the stuff posted but Vince apparently was never a fan of hers. 

Kari Sane essential tweets her goodbye to WWE confirming the report I had on her leaving WWE soon. 

CONFIRMED: Kairi Sane done with wwe.

EXCLUSIVE: Kairi Sane and wwe negotiated an early out of her contract part of the contract states she cannot wrestle for any promotion on the Us until January 2022. For talents WWE believes they can be factors in other promotions the new out clause is 18 months and it’s all legal

So essentially if you are a big name wrestler and go to WWE you better make dam well sure you want to resign with them when the time comes. It you want out you essentially have to wait 1 1/2 yrs before you wrestle in the US again which limits who can go after you. 

WWE might be streaming WxW German promotion by the end of this year events. The Promotion has had some big names such as Most of Imperium such as Walter and many others over the years who are in WWE now 

9 hours ago, Donning of a New Age said:

It feels like this Cole/McAfee angle is a holding pattern for Cole. Moving him up now would be difficult as Cole really needs a crowd to work off. 

Yeah. Those two have been friendly sniping at each other for years, so I'm guessing this (if true) suspension is probably for dropping f-bombs.

The amount of people who got worked on twitter is something else.  :lmao:

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

The general feeling in WWE is the Titles are just there for PC reasons and make certain advertising companies are happy. Stephanie McMahon was a huge push for the Women's tag Titles but it's believed it was very agenda driven to make WWE look good in the public eye where Her husband Triple H has been vouching to give the women more opportunities for yrs as he sees it as a crucial part to the business. The titles are essentially DEAD TITLES just being showncased around at this point 

I have thought that the women’s tag titles were a way to move the female talent around brands.Without invoking the 4 time visitor rule or what ever it is. Not to mention there aren't really enough men's tag teams to support two major belts at the moment. 

Edited by PantherThunder

2 hours ago, PantherThunder said:

I have thought that the women’s tag titles were a way to move the female talent around brands.Without invoking the 4 time visitor rule or what ever it is. Not to mention there aren't really enough men's tag teams to support two major belts at the moment. 

That was part of the reason initial to get around that. The titles were more of a trendy thing to start with the WOmen's Revolution and then the All Women's PPV but the #s and ratings for the views did not match the demand on online it showed. Very underwhelming and remember that PPV was put on after WWE had their first or 2nd Saudi Show and some fans viewed it as a slap in the face to the women as they couldn't be on the Saudi Show.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

That was part of the reason initial to get around that. The titles were more of a trendy thing to start with the WOmen's Revolution and then the All Women's PPV but the #s and ratings for the views did not match the demand on online it showed. Very underwhelming and remember that PPV was put on after WWE had their first or 2nd Saudi Show and some fans viewed it as a slap in the face to the women as they couldn't be on the Saudi Show.

Plus I just don’t think there are enough bodies and tv time to support 2 singles titles (3 if you include NXT) AND tag team titles.  I don’t think there are enough men’s teams to support the 2 tag titles they run. 

• Like 1