What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Cena wins the belt in a pretty epic match against Mysterio.

Out comes CM Punk to the tune of Living Colour "Cult of Personality". Both raise the respective titles high. Who gets the bigger pop? Awesome angle.

Would have liked to see Mysterio hold the belt for at least a week. Guy has put a lot of work in for the company, is a great face and probably doesn't have a ton of time left. That would have let CM Punk build up even more. Two weeks seems a little quick. Either way, very good show.

Is it just me, or this the worst hyped Summerslam in WWE history? :mellow:

There just seems very little hype everywhere, I will be very curious to see what the buy rates are.

Last edited by a moderator:
CM Punk is single-handedly making me interested in wrestling again.
I have not been into wrestling in quite some time, but I keep hearing this guys name. So I look him up on the old google and he looks like some little guy that should be joined by another midget to wrestle Andre. Is this really the best that wrestling has to offer these days?

I have not been into wrestling in quite some time, but I keep hearing this guys name. So I look him up on the old google and he looks like some little guy that should be joined by another midget to wrestle Andre. Is this really the best that wrestling has to offer these days?
Flair and Piper were hardly physical specimens either.

Is it just me, or this the worst hyped Summerslam in WWE history? :mellow:There just seems very little hype everywhere, I will be very curious to see what the buy rates are.
I keep seeing a commercial for it on regular television that looks like an advertisement for Spring Break. :lol:
He is about the same size as Steve Austin was (although Austin was probably a bit more muscular).

Is it just me, or this the worst hyped Summerslam in WWE history? :mellow:

There just seems very little hype everywhere, I will be very curious to see what the buy rates are.
I keep seeing a commercial for it on regular television that looks like an advertisement for Spring Break. :lol:
He is about the same size as Steve Austin was (although Austin was probably a bit more muscular).
Just a bit?Punk Austin

Okay, but who cares if he isn't a big musclehead? He is the best in the business right now on the mic (which is super important) and is terrific in the ring (also important). I can't count how many big muscleheads over the years went nowhere because they had no mic skills and limited ring ability.

Okay, but who cares if he isn't a big musclehead? He is the best in the business right now on the mic (which is super important) and is terrific in the ring (also important). I can't count how many big muscleheads over the years went nowhere because they had no mic skills and limited ring ability.
yeah I don't understand this whole conversation, it makes no sense. Some of the most interesting wrestlers in history including Flair and Piper were hardly muscle heads. The wrestlers also don't inject every single steroid known to man any more either.

Batista,Bobby Lashley, Ezekial Jackson ect

the recently released Chris Masters is a great example too

the recently released Chris Masters is a great example too
He actually improved a lot in 2010 from 4/5 years ago.The few times I saw him at house shows Masters stood out the most in ring wise.

Anyone else catching the HHH-Undertaker match on NBC? Must be a slow sports day. They're coming back with an episode of Law and Order.

yeah I don't understand this whole conversation, it makes no sense. Some of the most interesting wrestlers in history including Flair and Piper were hardly muscle heads. The wrestlers also don't inject every single steroid known to man any more either.
DX in their prime. X-Pac and Road Dawg were amazing on the mic.

Yeah that's true. Shaun Micheals was barely 200 pounds and was even smaller than Piper and Flair I think.Size means nothing in terms of who ends up being a popular wrestler.

Is it just me, or this the worst hyped Summerslam in WWE history? :mellow:There just seems very little hype everywhere, I will be very curious to see what the buy rates are.
Yep, only 5 announced matches. One that was just announced on Friday in Daniel Bryan / Wade Barrett. Just terribly promoted. I imagine 1 or both of Ezekiel Jackson/Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler/Alex Riley will be added last minute.I see a swerve and Punk actually going 'corporate' with HHH tonight. Which will be the wrong move (because as already proven, fans cheer Punk more than Cena -- even in Boston), but I never see them turning Cena. ----On a side note:I loved that they said on Smackdown that Sin Cara 'gained some weight' during his time off (a new guy is playing the character -- not Mistico -- and was quite amusing to see him having mask problems throughout the match)

They probably make too much money off of Cena from merchandising to turn him at this point. Every kid has to have the Cena shirt, and he changes his colors every few month, so of course they need the new colors. :lol:

Yeah that's true. Shaun Micheals was barely 200 pounds and was even smaller than Piper and Flair I think.Size means nothing in terms of who ends up being a popular wrestler.
You need 3 things to be a legendary wrestler. Ring skills: You can't be a flop in the ring with weak moves and be unable to pull off basic stuff. Gimmick: Great ring ability can overcome a bad gimmick but you handicap yourself if you have an awful persona. Mic skills: Only a handful of guys got away with minimal mic skills and made it to the top. The ability to keep a crowd not only interested but entertained is a skill possessed by few in the business. Now some guys can overcome a weak area by having an overwhelming dominance in another. The Undertaker and Kane are not known for their mic skills but their gimmicks are so strong that they speak for themselves. The Rock had a great persona and incredible mic skills to overcome his limited wrestling ability. Its the guys that bring all 3 that become true legends. Flair, Hogan, Macho Man, Hitman, HBK, HHH; those guys had it all when they made the top.

You need 3 things to be a legendary wrestler. Ring skills: You can't be a flop in the ring with weak moves and be unable to pull off basic stuff. Gimmick: Great ring ability can overcome a bad gimmick but you handicap yourself if you have an awful persona. Mic skills: Only a handful of guys got away with minimal mic skills and made it to the top. The ability to keep a crowd not only interested but entertained is a skill possessed by few in the business.

Now some guys can overcome a weak area by having an overwhelming dominance in another. The Undertaker and Kane are not known for their mic skills but their gimmicks are so strong that they speak for themselves. The Rock had a great persona and incredible mic skills to overcome his limited wrestling ability. Its the guys that bring all 3 that become true legends. Flair, Hogan, Macho Man, Hitman, HBK, HHH; those guys had it all when they made the top.
Not that either man's in-wring work will ever be confused with
, but The Rock was definitely better in the ring than Hogan. Faster, smoother, and even more moves than the Hulkster's limited move set.

You need 3 things to be a legendary wrestler. Ring skills: You can't be a flop in the ring with weak moves and be unable to pull off basic stuff. Gimmick: Great ring ability can overcome a bad gimmick but you handicap yourself if you have an awful persona. Mic skills: Only a handful of guys got away with minimal mic skills and made it to the top. The ability to keep a crowd not only interested but entertained is a skill possessed by few in the business. Now some guys can overcome a weak area by having an overwhelming dominance in another. The Undertaker and Kane are not known for their mic skills but their gimmicks are so strong that they speak for themselves. The Rock had a great persona and incredible mic skills to overcome his limited wrestling ability. Its the guys that bring all 3 that become true legends. Flair, Hogan, Macho Man, Hitman, HBK, HHH; those guys had it all when they made the top.
Though I see your point, I wouldn't say that Bret Hart had great mic skills.

Del Rio leaves SummerSlam the champion due to help from Kevin Nash? I feel like I watched a PPV in a bizarro world.

Caught most of the Punk/Cena match on a stream. I thought it was well done, and unexpected that HHH played it straight. Overall good match, with the "little" screw job on the finish, something to work with going forward.

Then Nash?!? WTF. I kinda marked out on the run in :bag: .

But follow that up with a Del Rio MTB cash for the title? Terrible. Just f'n awful. Del Rio has no heat, and they killed a decent run with Punk/Cena ( as bored with Cena as I am ) for Del Rio?
Any thoughts on where they go with this?

You need 3 things to be a legendary wrestler. Ring skills: You can't be a flop in the ring with weak moves and be unable to pull off basic stuff. Gimmick: Great ring ability can overcome a bad gimmick but you handicap yourself if you have an awful persona. Mic skills: Only a handful of guys got away with minimal mic skills and made it to the top. The ability to keep a crowd not only interested but entertained is a skill possessed by few in the business.

Now some guys can overcome a weak area by having an overwhelming dominance in another. The Undertaker and Kane are not known for their mic skills but their gimmicks are so strong that they speak for themselves. The Rock had a great persona and incredible mic skills to overcome his limited wrestling ability. Its the guys that bring all 3 that become true legends. Flair, Hogan, Macho Man, Hitman, HBK, HHH; those guys had it all when they made the top.
Not that either man's in-wring work will ever be confused with
Hogan benefited from working in an era that didn't require the high flying theatrics. There were guys like Superfly and Steamboat but they were the exception. In the Rock's era, you had to push the envelope. The way he did that was with his mouth and an occasional chair to Mick Foley's head. I was also referring to the fact that the Rock decided to come into wrestling after football had failed. So he kind of backed into it since his dad was a wrestler. Hogan pretty much knew he wanted to be a wrestler by his late teens. So the training was a little different. But yes the Rock did look better than Hogan when comparing the matches side by side from each of their hey-days.

Though I see your point, I wouldn't say that Bret Hart had great mic skills.
I guess that one was revisionist history in my mind. Hitman had such a cool persona that when he talked, I listened. I guess looking back on it now, he was nothing compared to HBK.

I guess that one was revisionist history in my mind. Hitman had such a cool persona that when he talked, I listened. I guess looking back on it now, he was nothing compared to HBK.
Wait, what? Michaels was never very good on the mic. But he was stellar in the ring. I would say that Bret was very good (but not great) on the mic. And definitely better than Michaels.Also, LOL at a chump like Del Rio being the WWE champ. Nothing like devaluing your titles even more. :lol:

Wait, what? Michaels was never very good on the mic. But he was stellar in the ring. I would say that Bret was very good (but not great) on the mic. And definitely better than Michaels.Also, LOL at a chump like Del Rio being the WWE champ. Nothing like devaluing your titles even more. :lol:
Michaels always gave good promos and worked the mic well. That was apparent up until he retired.

Also, LOL at a chump like Del Rio being the WWE champ. Nothing like devaluing your titles even more. :lol:
I had to look Del Rio up because I don't watch wrestling anymore and I'd never heard of him, but I can see Vince's reasoning on putting the strap on Del Rio. 1. Vince wants to appeal to shifting demographics in America;

2. Vince likes hardworking professionals he can trust more than guys that flake out like the Ultimate Warrior. Vince thinks that kids who grew up in the business have a better appreciation for what it takes to succeed. That's why Vince pushes Orton, Rhodes, DiBiase, did push Carlito & Primo Colon, and is now pushing Del Rio -- Son of noted luchador Dos Caras, nephew of Mil Máscaras and Sicodelico, and cousin to Sicodelico, Jr. and Hijo de Sicodelico, Rodríguez is part of one of the most well known Mexican wrestling families.

3. Even if Del Rio only holds the strap for a week, you can now later bill him as the former champion giving him a bump in the fans' eyes.

Did anyone catch the WrestleMania re-broadcast that NBC had this past Saturday? I had it on for a few, but it wasn't the same show I watched in April. They took many liberties in the editing process and chopped it all up to make it fit in an hour. The part I watched had Undertaker coming out to a Katy Perry song. :confused:

Did anyone catch the WrestleMania re-broadcast that NBC had this past Saturday? I had it on for a few, but it wasn't the same show I watched in April. They took many liberties in the editing process and chopped it all up to make it fit in an hour. The part I watched had Undertaker coming out to a Katy Perry song. :confused:
Wait a minute....WHAT!?! :cry: :lmao: :cry:

Also, LOL at a chump like Del Rio being the WWE champ. Nothing like devaluing your titles even more. :lol:
I had to look Del Rio up because I don't watch wrestling anymore and I'd never heard of him, but I can see Vince's reasoning on putting the strap on Del Rio. 1. Vince wants to appeal to shifting demographics in America;

2. Vince likes hardworking professionals he can trust more than guys that flake out like the Ultimate Warrior. Vince thinks that kids who grew up in the business have a better appreciation for what it takes to succeed. That's why Vince pushes Orton, Rhodes, DiBiase, did push Carlito & Primo Colon, and is now pushing Del Rio -- Son of noted luchador Dos Caras, nephew of Mil Máscaras and Sicodelico, and cousin to Sicodelico, Jr. and Hijo de Sicodelico, Rodríguez is part of one of the most well known Mexican wrestling families.

3. Even if Del Rio only holds the strap for a week, you can now later bill him as the former champion giving him a bump in the fans' eyes.
nothing about it makes sense. the guys is the ####s

nothing about it makes sense. the guys is the ####s
My main reason for hating the WWE, and always hating the WWF, is that they're more interested in soap opera than they are wrestling. Look at Del Rio in Japan (approximately a one billion times better wrestling scene than in America) and tell me if this looks like the same guy that the WWE allows...
P.S. I admit I know nothing about Del Rio, but his dad (Dos Caras) is one of the best pro-wrestlers I've ever seen.

WWE sure knows how to book storylines,huh?Punk is great but this has sucked big time.
Disagree. First, the Punk-Cena matches have been very good. The IWC has reluctantly given Cena credit for his contributions to the matches and the five moves of doom isn't being talked about as much.Secondly, Cena-Del Rio makes sense. Del Rio has been given a lot of buildup over the past few months and where we are right now was the logical end point of him winning MitB. Punk has turned and WWE is uncomfortable with the face:face matchups. It has worked for this time period, but WWE can't afford to disillusion the kids who make up a large portion of their fan base. Most importantly, this storyline looks to be building towards an even better match than Cena-Punk, namely HHH-Punk. I'm looking forward to the continued evolution of HHH into the corporate heel. HHH also has major trouble with Johnny Ace, which could totally shift the storyline, changing all my predictions (a good thing.)Not to be overlooked, the Del Rio elevation appears to have spawned the pairing of Miz and Truth. The 2nd and 3rd heel on Raw happen to come together the same time the Tag division is revitalized by Kingston and Bourne. Coincidence? I think not. Hopefully this can also get Zach Ryder some screen time.As it stands, there are some very good feuds just unfolding and for the first time in a while, the interest isn't centered on the WWE championship. A Punk-HHH match should get top billing (but will be a co-main event) over a ADR-Cena match.They are even trying to spice up the Women's division, though I'm not sure they have the athletes to really make it work.The only soft spot I see on RAW is the Riley-Swagger-Ziggler drama, though Ziggler and Swagger could put on some decent matches. Riley is the odd man out. His mat work isn't great and if he's not beating on the Miz, the crowd doesn't seem to really care.

It doesn't surprise me, but I didn't realize that Ric Flair had a life that was this bad.

You could say he is already there, but this is a Randy The Ram in the making where you will be able to get an 8x10 and 20 mins of his time for 20 bucks.
Saw that article earlier today. Sad to hear he's having so many issues. The article is horribly boring though. Read half and skimmed down to the end - alright I get it, the guy's f'd up.

Users who are viewing this thread