What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Gobbler welched out on his bet from year ago in this thread (1 Viewer)

Also, Kobe was truly spectacular yesterday. He's a legitimate contender for NBA MVP this year.
Dear god..
:goodposting:
Guys, I'm not praying to the guy. I just wrote he was having a good year. I don't use "dear god" when I'm talking about Kobe Bryant; please don't confuse me with Jmon.
Thanks Tim, maybe everyone else is right about you.
Relax, I'm just teasing. You know I love you. Sometimes you're the only one around here who will stick up for Kobe. The anti-Kobe passion around here is extraordinary.

No, you wrote that he was legitimate contender for NBA MVP which is about as ridiculous as JMon praying to him.
In fairness, the MVP should be unanimous, but Kobe should be in the mix for 2nd with Durant, Wade, and CP3.
If you look at any advanced stats, he isn't in the mix. The only thing he is doing better than those players this season is take more shots. If you count Wins/Loses it doesn't help his case vs those guys either. I'd put Howard, Love and Rose ahead of him as well. If you look at it on a pure statistics basis (which I know the voters don't) he's in a group with Westbrook, Aldridge and a handful of others fighting for the 8th spot but once you get to that point, does it really matter?

EEK. Fish with a -18, Blake with a +23.

Great game, but shouldn't have been that close. Memphis got countless "lucky" plays, looseballs bounced right to them, last second shot clock threes, etc.

I hope this win keeps this team together. Go get Sessions, maybe another energy, spark scorer, maybe an Arenas if he's as good as advertised now, and lets go battle the West. Start Blake, and let Sessions run the second unit. Would love to see our big guys with a great penetrating PG getting them easy buckets.

The way Pau has reacted since the failed CP3 trade has been humbling as a fan. He's everything you want in a player playing for your favorite team. Hopefully last year's playoff was just a small blip. It's like Bill Simmons with Rondo. You go back and forth whether or not to break up the team and make a big trade, but in the end its probably best to keep them together and see if they can do it again.

EEK. Fish with a -18, Blake with a +23.Great game, but shouldn't have been that close. Memphis got countless "lucky" plays, looseballs bounced right to them, last second shot clock threes, etc.I hope this win keeps this team together. Go get Sessions, maybe another energy, spark scorer, maybe an Arenas if he's as good as advertised now, and lets go battle the West. Start Blake, and let Sessions run the second unit. Would love to see our big guys with a great penetrating PG getting them easy buckets.The way Pau has reacted since the failed CP3 trade has been humbling as a fan. He's everything you want in a player playing for your favorite team. Hopefully last year's playoff was just a small blip. It's like Bill Simmons with Rondo. You go back and forth whether or not to break up the team and make a big trade, but in the end its probably best to keep them together and see if they can do it again.
Agreed. Not sure they can pull off getting Sessions though.

EEK. Fish with a -18, Blake with a +23.Great game, but shouldn't have been that close. Memphis got countless "lucky" plays, looseballs bounced right to them, last second shot clock threes, etc.I hope this win keeps this team together. Go get Sessions, maybe another energy, spark scorer, maybe an Arenas if he's as good as advertised now, and lets go battle the West. Start Blake, and let Sessions run the second unit. Would love to see our big guys with a great penetrating PG getting them easy buckets.The way Pau has reacted since the failed CP3 trade has been humbling as a fan. He's everything you want in a player playing for your favorite team. Hopefully last year's playoff was just a small blip. It's like Bill Simmons with Rondo. You go back and forth whether or not to break up the team and make a big trade, but in the end its probably best to keep them together and see if they can do it again.
Yeah, my admiration for Pau has really grown this year, despite his relatively poor year on the court. The guy is a great ####### teammate. Unless an all star caliber PG is available, I'd prefer to hang onto him at this point.I'd still deal Bynum for Howard in a heart beat.

EXHALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Back road overtime wins. Big minutes from Kobe, Pau, and Drew, and they all held up very late tonight. Kobe played 100 minutes the last two nights.

These last two games have moved Bynum into the top 10 NBA player discussion right now. He's been awesome this year, but these last two games has been the best stretch of his career.

KEEP THIS TEAM TOGETHER!!!!

16 hours away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two tough road wins in a row. Compared to last week, great job.

And now, within a few hours, we get to find out what this Lakers team is REALLY going to look like. :popcorn:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

John Canzano of The Oregonian adds: "Source directly involved in the Jamal Crawford trade said the deal should be done in the morning."

----

There are more reports that the Portland Trail Blazers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers are close to a three-team trade.According to ESPNLosAngeles.com, shooting guard Jamal Crawford would go to Minnesota, small forward Michael Beasley to Los Angeles. The Oregonian adds Steve Blake and a 2012 first round pick from the Lakers could go to Portland.

This trade scenario was first reported on Wednesday.

Crawford was held out of the Blazers game against the Knicks, while Blake played against the Hornets.Only Blake is signed past this season with two more years on his contract. Crawford has a player option for 2012-13, but he is expected to decline it and become a free agent. Beasley will be a restricted free agent beginning July 1 if he's tendered a qualifying offer.

The Lakers will use the $8.9 million Lamar Odom trade exception to acquire Beasley if this deal does get done.

If we can get these rumored deals done, I'm very happy.

PG-Fish, Sessions, Morris

SG-Kobe, Goudelock(Arenas?), Kapono

SF-Artest, Barnes, Ebanks

PF-Gasol, Beasley, Murphy

C-Bynum, McRoberts, Murphy

Love Sessions running the second unit, feeding the ball to Gasol/Bynum. Not the ideal shooter to play with the starters, but his playmaking ability would be key for the second unit. Beasley might play his way into SF minutes, but I like him as the PF beside Gasol/Bynum down low essentially taking away Murphy's current minutes.

2.5 hours.........

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

John Canzano of The Oregonian adds: "Source directly involved in the Jamal Crawford trade said the deal should be done in the morning."

----

There are more reports that the Portland Trail Blazers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers are close to a three-team trade.According to ESPNLosAngeles.com, shooting guard Jamal Crawford would go to Minnesota, small forward Michael Beasley to Los Angeles. The Oregonian adds Steve Blake and a 2012 first round pick from the Lakers could go to Portland.

This trade scenario was first reported on Wednesday.

Crawford was held out of the Blazers game against the Knicks, while Blake played against the Hornets.Only Blake is signed past this season with two more years on his contract. Crawford has a player option for 2012-13, but he is expected to decline it and become a free agent. Beasley will be a restricted free agent beginning July 1 if he's tendered a qualifying offer.

The Lakers will use the $8.9 million Lamar Odom trade exception to acquire Beasley if this deal does get done.
This doesn't make sense. If the Lakers are dealing Blake, they don't need to use the Odom exception. They need to save that in order to use it in another deal involving their 1st round pick to acquire a PG to replace Blake.

Ok we got Sessions, 30mins. to get Beasley.

One thing that is absolutely needed with Sessions, is that when he's in the game with Kobe, Kobe needs to play more of a wing/slasher role. Sessions is not a great shooter, so having Kobe go one on one with Sessions standing at the 3pt line will not work like it does with Fish and Blake. Sessions needs to be the playmaker and get the bigs more involved. This is a HUGE key or Sessions will be wasted. He will improve the second unit right away.

If Blake stays, I think he needs to start and have Fish down to the bench, with Sessions running the 2 unit.

Great job overall.

So long Fish. Thanks for all the great memories. I'll never forget the huge 3 against Orlando, and all the times you stuck your body in front of an opposing player and took the charge. And all the clutch plays over the years. And of course, the .4.

You are a class act and a true gentleman and a team leader, and you will sorely be missed.

So long Fish. Thanks for all the great memories. I'll never forget the huge 3 against Orlando, and all the times you stuck your body in front of an opposing player and took the charge. And all the clutch plays over the years. And of course, the .4.You are a class act and a true gentleman and a team leader, and you will sorely be missed.
Appreciate what Fisher has done for the franchise. He should have retired 2 years ago. My only compunction about seeing him go is that it leaves no one to even remotely keep Kobe in check. The haters might get to see a reenactment of his game 7 infantile behavior somewhere in here.They ducked 2 useless salaries and got younger & more athletic for the price of 2 mid/late 1st rounders. Not having 1st rounders will catch up with them eventually if they continue to do this, but these were really good moves for the immediate/near term future. So it all boiled down to Odom, Walton, Fisher & a 1st rounder for Sessions and Hill (and an 8.9M trade exception). :unsure: I guess given how Odom has completely fallen apart it's o.k.I still don't think they can win it all with this, but they've got a much better shot now than they did. Too bad they couldn't improve the suckage that is the 3 spot. And they kept Gasol & Bynum together. In truth I'm glad they stuck with these guys. I hope Gasol gets some more zip back to his game now that he doesn't have to deal with trade rumors the rest of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first trade was obviously a win for the Lakers. The second one I guess time will tell. The Lakers had three needs coming to the deadline: pg, bench scoring and 3-pt shooting. Took care of the first need perfectly by getting Sessions. He arguably also helps with the outside shooting. He certainly has a higher 3-pt percentage this year than anyone else on the Lakers, and I would have to think he's going to get better looks with Kobe, Bynum and Gasol. I was hoping to get Beasley, which would have meant the Lakers fulfilled all of their needs. Giving up Fisher is a risk. He was near worthless on the court but his value in leadership was immeasurable. On the other hand, having Fisher around did nothing to prevent last year's meltdown against Dallas. I don't know if Hill, a guy who hopefully won't be playing much in the playoffs, was worth the risk of giving up Fisher's leadership. The Lakers could have done Fisher and the first for Nick Young and improved the bench scoring. Young also could have played with Kobe moving over to the 3, though that might have created a black-hole effect.

Fisher = addition by subtraction. The idea that he would have accepted DNP-CD's for the rest of the season (and next) is insane. If that was the case, he'd have been coming off the bench this year.

And just like that only Kobe, Pau, and Bynum remain from the 09 title team. The 3 and Ron only left from the 2010 championship.

:(

And just like that only Kobe, Pau, and Bynum remain from the 09 title team. The 3 and Ron only left from the 2010 championship. :(
C'mon JMon, we all got love for the old Fish, but he's been wearing a ski mask stealing W's and $$ from the Lakers for 2 years now. He should have retired before last season. He's been finished for awhile now.

Fisher is obviously addition by subtraction on the court, but you can't say that in the locker room. And he is still nice to have around in crunch time. It doesn't seem like Fisher was the type who would worry about playing time. I'm OK with dealing him, but it is a risk to give up his leadership. And I'm not sure Jordan Hill offers enough reward for that risk.

Fisher is obviously addition by subtraction on the court, but you can't say that in the locker room. And he is still nice to have around in crunch time. It doesn't seem like Fisher was the type who would worry about playing time. I'm OK with dealing him, but it is a risk to give up his leadership. And I'm not sure Jordan Hill offers enough reward for that risk.
if fisher want worried about playing time, why was he silk starting?

That was Brown's decision. When Blake has been healthy, he played the majority of the PG minutes and actually finished quite a few games. Fisher never complained. Reports are Mitch didn't tell Fish before making the deal. It continues the theme that Lakers management is not communicative and not handling issues in the proper manner. A guy who has been a leader on the team for so long should at least be ushered out with respect.

'Shrugs said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'Shrugs said:
That was Brown's decision. When Blake has been healthy, he played the majority of the PG minutes and actually finished quite a few games. Fisher never complained. Reports are Mitch didn't tell Fish before making the deal. It continues the theme that Lakers management is not communicative and not handling issues in the proper manner. A guy who has been a leader on the team for so long should at least be ushered out with respect.
How does Brown walk in and bench a captain like Fish, for a career backup in Blake?

They shouldve given up Blake instead of Fisher.

Fisher is the heart, soul, team leader, Kobes best friend and as much as I despise the Lakers, Fisher is huge in the playoffs. Now you have a ticked off Kobe, reduced leadership, playoff experience.

I'm sure we'll hear from Kobe tomorrow. Like everyone, think he needed some time to deal with this and say his goodbyes. It's no surprise though. He must have known this was a possibility. Management listened to him though and they kept Gasol.

Let's talk about what they did not do. They did not trade Gasol. And they did not trade Bynum.

With regard to Bynum, it looks like Dwight Howard's not going anywhere, and even if he does after next year, it won't be to Los Angeles. What this means is that Andrew Bynum is going to remain as a Laker. The decision has been made. If recent games are any indication, we could have one of the great offensive forces in the league for years to come. Bynum is just starting to emerge, and it looks pretty scary.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Lakers-110315/nba-trades-turn-lakers-threat-western-conference

John Hollinger:

I understand the sentiment in L.A. regarding Fisher's departure, and you wish it could have been handled more delicately. But in terms of the business side, this was a no-brainer. Fisher has a player efficiency rating (PER) of 9.01 and Blake's is 8.87; among point guards with at least 750 minutes, only Orlando's ridiculous Chris Duhon has been worse. Fisher barely scores half as often as he did in 2007-08, his first season back in L.A., and with a lower true shooting percentage and more turnovers. His 3-point shooting, his "specialty," has also fallen to 32.4 percent.

Replacing that dynamic duo with a point guard with a 16.44 PER provides a massive shot in the arm. Per minute Sessions averages nearly twice as many points and provides huge advantages in assists and rebounds too. There's no way this won't translate to the Lakers' win total, even if he is less productive in their system than he was in Cleveland.Similarly, Hill isn't exactly going gangbusters -- he gets pushed around on defense pretty easily and he is often out of position. Big picture, he's something of a "4.5" who lacks the skill for a 4 or the beef to play 5.

But compared with Murphy, this guy will look like Bill Russell. Hill averages 13 points per 40 minutes, nearly double that of Murphy or McRoberts, and his 13 boards per 40 minutes is also an improvement of more than 50 percent. Playing off the ball, running and finishing -- he can do those things, and likely won't have a major adjustment coming to the Lakers.

So how big an improvement are we talking about? Well, factor in 30 minutes or so with a seven-point PER jump at the point, and another 20 minutes with a five-point jump for the third big man. Even if you water down Sessions' numbers because he doesn't fit perfectly in L.A.'s offense, it will still make a bigger impact than people realize.

Sum it up and the numbers say it's worth about six wins over an 82-game season -- a jump as big as one the Lakers would make by trading a halfway decent starter for an All-Star. That would have had us writing 3,000-word epics for days, but this more subtle move was what the Lakers' situation required. With a real backup big and a decent point guard joining their three studs, the Lakers can make a much more coherent case for being contenders.

They're not favorites, mind you, and they still are very fragile -- if one of the three stars goes down, forget it. But in a Western Conference where everybody save Oklahoma City has shown considerable warts, these moves make the Lakers a legitimate threat to reach the Finals. I'm not sure I could have said that with a straight face 24 hours ago.

Lakers at home against Minnesota tonight, but Kupchak said it's unlikely we see either Sessions or Hill play. Maybe a couple of minutes, maybe not at all. We'll probably have to wait until Sunday.

Ramon Sessions in his first game as a Laker looked very good. The most speed at the PG position since Van Exel. Very excited about his play tonight. I expect him to be the starter rather shortly.

Yea I saw the game as well and there is definitely reason for optimism. Looking forward to how they incorporate Hill as well. I think he can definitely help our bench production.

Kobe 3 for 19 tonight. Might be the worst shooting game of his career? Ugh.

And the Lakers were terrible on defense. Several Jazz players having record games. Ugh.

What an ugly ugly game. Sessions continuing to look good on offense, though.

That was just "one of those games".
You would think by now Kobe would realize when he is having one of those games and defer to his teammates Bynum and Gasol who shot 20-26 from the field.
It wasn't quite like that. It wasn't one of those games where Kobe refuses to pass inside, where he just keeps trying to put up ridiculous jumpers. For the most part, his shot selection was quite reasonable IMO. They just didn't fall.

This wasn't one of those out of control launch parties that he's been known to have. However, a veteran should understand the matchups, game situation and his own bad shooting night. Bynum has a significant advantage over the majority of centers in this league and especially against a short handed team like the Jazz. You have to work that advantage all night in order to force the defense to continue to account for it...instead Kobe went one-on-one the entire fourth quarter. When you lose by 4 points and you missed 17 shots and committed 7 TO's...you are the problem.

They definitely need Kobe to win on a nightly basis because he is still the Mamba on most nights and it keeps teams honest on the interior. But he has to be more self-aware of his current deficiencies or they're gonna continue to get smacked in the mouth by bad teams.

On a side note, Blake is worthless. Guy has zero confidence and continues to contribute nothing as a starter. On the other hand, the bench has a completely different effect with Sessions. Suddenly this is an up tempo, scoring bunch. I think 30 plus in both games with Sessions. I haven't had a chance to look at the numbers, but I would bet the bench hasn't put up numbers like that too often this year.

Users who are viewing this thread