What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Gobbler welched out on his bet from year ago in this thread (2 Viewers)

Congrats Lakers on getting the 3 seed. Puts you right on course to get destroyed by OKC in Round 2 should you make it.But at least Kobe's playing in a meaningless game to get the scoring title!!
The Lakers currently have zero small forwards (MWP, Barnes, Ebanks all probably out)...and only one other two on the roster. I doubt Christian Eyenga is ready to go 48 minutes so yeah I assume Kobe is playing. Sit or play, I assume it would be spun into how selfish the guy is though, so here's hoping he drops 50.
Excellent point. If he does play, I'm with you, I hope he goes off offensively b/c if he'll be criticized regardless of whether he gets the scoring title or not.
If he plays 20 minutes so they can actually run an offense out there without guys playing too many minutes out of position, he won't get criticized in the least.

The Clippers lost again, and with that, the Lakers clinch having the best record. No tiebreakers are necessary.

And that means, Dr. Gobbler, that you owe me and Jmon some money. Not sure what you owe him, but with me it's $80. How shall we settle this? Shall I pm you my address?

Last edited by a moderator:
Really like what Jordan Hill brings to the team. He was around the ball for every rebound on both ends of the court. Lakers have a nice 8 man rotation going now.

:thumbup:

Really like what Jordan Hill brings to the team. He was around the ball for every rebound on both ends of the court. Lakers have a nice 8 man rotation going now. :thumbup:
Agreed, he actually brings some ability to put the ball in the basket too. His defense is what is keeping him in the rotation IMO. Been very very solid and has made our bench actually productive from a numbers perspective.He was a lottery pick, so he had some ability.

Really like what Jordan Hill brings to the team. He was around the ball for every rebound on both ends of the court. Lakers have a nice 8 man rotation going now. :thumbup:
Agreed, he actually brings some ability to put the ball in the basket too. His defense is what is keeping him in the rotation IMO. Been very very solid and has made our bench actually productive from a numbers perspective.He was a lottery pick, so he had some ability.
Let's see how these guys do on the road. I'm skeptical Hill and Ebanks will keep playing at this level, particularly away from Staples.Is Bynum now the best center in the league (even when Howard is healthy)?

Good two wins, very nice start. Hopefully we get one of these two in Denver.

Jordan Hill has been great off the bench, he's playing C, so that's making Pau the full time PF every minute he's on the floor. With Bynum's emergence and Kobe's continued greatness, I still think the key to the offense is Pau making those 15 footers and continuing his great passing from his spots. Would like to see him post up more when he's on the floor without Kobe and Drew though.

Ramon is making a world of difference. I love his poise, many times it looks like the other 4 players want to run and play up tempo, but he will slow it down and run the half court offense getting it to the bigs. He has a great grasp of the flow of the game.

HATED kobe's shot selection in the 4th qtr.
The turnovers are what bother me the most. The lob to Pau was late. Trying to dribble too much in traffic. And yeah, one or two of those turnaround jumpers can be had at anytime in the shot clock.That said, he helped on the boards and drew a couple of double teams enabling his "shooters" to get open looks. His last two games have been terrible, so it's nice to get a split when he plays so poorly. Looks like we'll get Artest back for Game 2 vs. OKC. :thumbup:

The turnovers are what bother me the most. The lob to Pau was late. Trying to dribble too much in traffic. And yeah, one or two of those turnaround jumpers can be had at anytime in the shot clock.That said, he helped on the boards and drew a couple of double teams enabling his "shooters" to get open looks. His last two games have been terrible, so it's nice to get a split when he plays so poorly.
It was a love/hate thing for me - I hated it when he went into stand around, jab step, pivot, pivot, pivot, jab step, stand around, fade away jumper mode. I loved it when he penetrated the lane. I hated it when he penetrated the lane and threw up tough shots instead of passing it to guys who came open as a result of the penetration. I loved when he did the opposite of that and guys hit their shots when he got them the ball. Except for all the crazy shots he actually did make - I loved all those regardless. It's never dull with Kobe.

The turnovers are what bother me the most. The lob to Pau was late. Trying to dribble too much in traffic. And yeah, one or two of those turnaround jumpers can be had at anytime in the shot clock.That said, he helped on the boards and drew a couple of double teams enabling his "shooters" to get open looks. His last two games have been terrible, so it's nice to get a split when he plays so poorly.
It was a love/hate thing for me - I hated it when he went into stand around, jab step, pivot, pivot, pivot, jab step, stand around, fade away jumper mode. I loved it when he penetrated the lane. I hated it when he penetrated the lane and threw up tough shots instead of passing it to guys who came open as a result of the penetration. I loved when he did the opposite of that and guys hit their shots when he got them the ball. Except for all the crazy shots he actually did make - I loved all those regardless. It's never dull with Kobe.
:goodposting: I can't say Kobe's my favorite athlete of all time, but he has undoubtedly provided me with more entertainment than any athlete. And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

Ugly first half...amazing second half.

Lakers have to make a better effort to get Bynum involved early in games and Gasol has to finally get aggressive with the second unit at the beginning of quarters. The guy just pushes away from the table and lets Blake or Barnes become shot creators. That generally goes bad quick.

Selfishly, I'm looking forward to a game six though. I get one more playoff game here in Denver, Artest suspension will be done before the OKC series and hopefully we get one more tight finish like Tuesday night :thumbup:

Well what now?

1. Trade for Howard?

2. Trade for Deron?

3. Trade for Nash?

4. Keep the core, and try to improve the bench?

What will Buss and Kupchak do?

http://espn.go.com/l...ake-big-changes

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol played what very well could be the last minutes of their Los Angeles Lakers career together yelling at one another. Both players let their exasperation get the best of them, as they couldn't even execute a simple pick-and-roll together, while the Oklahoma City Thunder were rubbing it in their faces by getting whatever they wanted on offense on the other end.

The shouts between Bryant and Gasol weren't as loud as the delirious din coming down from the Oklahoma City rafters as fans saw their Thunder team full of 20-somethings grow up before their very eyes, but they were just as significant an indicator about the state of the Lakers' franchise.

Things are broken. That's blatantly evident after the Lakers' 106-90 Game 5 loss to the Thunder in the Western Conference semifinals Monday, knocking L.A. out of the postseason in the second round for the second straight season.

It's time to fix them.

Lakers management had the right idea before this lockout-shortened sardine tin of a season began by piecing together a blockbuster deal to ship Gasol and Lamar Odom out of town and acquire Chris Paul.

We all know how that turned out.

Time to go back to the drawing board. That means major changes.

Leave it to Metta World Peace of all people, who went from amnesty-clause fodder in the offseason to a reclamation project who seems to have a real future in Mike Brown's defense, to admit just what went wrong.

"We got to be committed to each other," World Peace said. "This year, we wasn't as committed collectively, and that hurt us a lot."

He wasn't referring specifically to the bickering couple of Bryant and Gasol, but it was clear this season that their commitment waned once their honeymoon phase from winning two titles and making three straight trips to the Finals was squarely in the rearview. Bryant publicly demoted Gasol to the third scoring option during the regular season and then called him out in the playoffs for not being the aggressive scorer he once was.

"It's been tough for me," Gasol said after finishing with 14 points and 16 rebounds in Game 5 but still catching flack from Brown after the game for not grabbing enough offensive boards. "I've been in a facilitating role most of the year. I've been pretty much the third option most of the year."

Bryant is still that No. 1 option, of course, and is as unmovable an object as exists in all of professional sports. It's not just because of his tremendous value to the Lakers with his skill set even as a 33-year-old, 16-year veteran, but because of what his star power and gravitas mean to the image that Lakers owner Jerry Buss wants his franchise to be all about. Bryant stated several times this season that he intends to retire a Laker and won't jump ship to chase ring No. 6 elsewhere.

Plus, he's owed $58.3 million over the next two seasons. He's not going anywhere.

That makes Gasol the first to go. Call up Houston. Call up Chicago. Call up Minnesota. Call up Orlando. See whether interest is still out there. Better yet, call up all 29 other teams and maybe even go the draft pick route. This year's draft is widely considered to be the deepest in nearly a decade.

Gasol turns 32 in July. He's played 11 years in the league plus put in a ton of time overseas playing for the Spanish national team. He averaged 12.5 points per game during the playoffs. History will show he was a vital piece of the Lakers' championship lore, but now is not the time for nostalgia.

He's the first domino. But then what?

Do you extend Andrew Bynum or merely pick up his option and see what's out there?

Bynum had by far the best season of his seven-year career, but he also showed enough signs of immaturity and indifference that he's hardly a lock to be the figure piece the team wants to build around. He had just 10 points and four rebounds in Game 5, and his latest head-scratching incident, in which he left the court without congratulating the other team after the game.

"Change never bothered me," Bynum said after the game. "I'll play anywhere."

Maybe he'll get his wish.

And then what about Ramon Sessions? The Lakers' 26-year-old supposed point guard of the future, whom they plucked out of relative anonymity in Cleveland and inserted into the L.A. spotlight, just might not be the guy they hoped he'd be.

If Sessions decides against picking up his player option for next season, has he showed enough to prove he's the right fit at point to lead the Lakers back to the championship when they'll have to get through a league filled with Russell Westbrook, Paul, Derrick Rose and Rajon Rondo (and on and on) to get there?

"I probably didn't play to the best of my ability but it's one of those things that you live and you learn and just move on," Sessions said.

The Lakers might have learned to move on from the idea that he's their answer alongside Bryant in the backcourt.

And don't forget the bench that scored a whopping two total points in Game 5 with Matt Barnes, the Lakers' supposed best player off the pine, not even getting in the game. The Lakers have six bench players who will become free agents -- Barnes, Jordan Hill, Devin Ebanks, Troy Murphy, Andrew Goudelock and Darius Morris. Have any of those players shown enough to bring them back?

We have pieces here who have proved their value as far as winning championships, and that's something you don't always find.

"I'm not the most patient of people, and the organization is not extremely patient, either," Bryant said after doing all he could, pouring in 42 points but still losing, reminding us all of the days post-Shaq and pre-Pau when that was his same fate. "We want to win and win now. I'm sure we'll figure it out. We always have, and I'm sure we will again."

The noise from the shouting has subsided, but a cacophony of questions has arisen.

I changed the title of this thread. I don't think Dr. Gobbler should just be allowed to come back and post a year later as if he never welched out on our bet.

OK, recap:

Heading into the 2011-2012 NBA season, Dr. Gobbler bet me $50 that the Clippers would have a better season than the Lakers. If you want to read through this thread, you will find that we bantered back and forth about this bet all through the season, as it remained close throughout. Finally, when I won the bet, I pmed Dr. Gobbler my paypal account information. I never heard back from him. He disappeared from this forum, I can only assume to avoid paying me. Now, a year later, he has returned as if nothing ever happened.

Actually, a correction: it is $80 that Dr. Gobbler owes me, and he also owes Jmon for a similar bet (not sure what the amount is.) He welched out on paying both of us.

The Clippers lost again, and with that, the Lakers clinch having the best record. No tiebreakers are necessary.And that means, Dr. Gobbler, that you owe me and Jmon some money. Not sure what you owe him, but with me it's $80. How shall we settle this? Shall I pm you my address?
Posted April 25, 2012. Almost exactly a year ago.

The Clippers lost again, and with that, the Lakers clinch having the best record. No tiebreakers are necessary.And that means, Dr. Gobbler, that you owe me and Jmon some money. Not sure what you owe him, but with me it's $80. How shall we settle this? Shall I pm you my address?
Posted April 25, 2012. Almost exactly a year ago.
I think he donated the money to a rape victims charity.

Maybe he wanted to back out and give your winnings to charity like the Romney bets you made?

Maybe he wanted to back out and give your winnings to charity like the Romney bets you made?
Tim said that was mutually agreed upon. Is that inaccurate?
I never held him to it but thought it was lame.
I wasn't aware that you thought it was lame, and I don't think it's a fair comparison. If you want to PM your address, I will send you that money first thing tomorrow. I have never welched on a bet in my life, and I don't like being compared to anyone who does.

I wasn't aware that you thought it was lame, and I don't think it's a fair comparison. If you want to PM your address, I will send you that money first thing tomorrow. I have never welched on a bet in my life, and I don't like being compared to anyone who does.
I can't take your money. You made the bet and then said you wanted out. I agree it's not the same but its something. Whatever though. I made enough on the Obama win elsewhere.

I can't take your money. You made the bet and then said you wanted out. I agree it's not the same but its something. Whatever though. I made enough on the Obama win elsewhere.
I wanted out right after I made our bet because I felt bad about making a political bet. I would never have taken myself out of it without your permission. I offered to donate the money to charity, which I did. I don't think it's "something". I don't think I did anything wrong. I don't like the comparison being brought up here.

This ######## didn't try and back out of the bet. He didn't ask me for my permission. He simply bailed when it was time to pay up. That's my fault, of course: you can't rely on any bets you make over the internet. But when the same guy returns a year later and pretends as if nothing happens, I'm not going to shut up about it.

I wanted out right after I made our bet because I felt bad about making a political bet. I would never have taken myself out of it without your permission. I offered to donate the money to charity, which I did. I don't think it's "something". I don't think I did anything wrong. I don't like the comparison being brought up here.

This ######## didn't try and back out of the bet. He didn't ask me for my permission. He simply bailed when it was time to pay up. That's my fault, of course: you can't rely on any bets you make over the internet. But when the same guy returns a year later and pretends as if nothing happens, I'm not going to shut up about it.
Might as well let it go. Lhucks finally paid me after a year, but DonnyT is still avoiding settling up on a $50 bet he made with me. One or two others schmucks from around here still owe me from a ff league. Of course Otis still owes me a $1.

Users who are viewing this thread