What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (2 Viewers)

shader

Footballguy
When Ingram got selected by the Saints, he punched a ticket to the hall of fame, assuming he stays healthy, which obviously is something none of us can predict.

Ingram has been compared to Emmitt Smith many times, and the reason is that they are carbon copies of each other. They both possess excellent vision, dole out punishment, and have tremendous goalline ability. Ingram makes moves that are amazing for a man his size. He has unbelievable hips, wide shoulders and quick feet. He's the prototypical RB.

Any thought of him splitting carries should only concern re-draft people, as many RB's split carries early on, including Peterson, Chris Johnson, etc.

Emmitt Smith always had critics. They claimed that if he didn't play on Dallas, he wouldn't have been as good as he is. They might have been right. Emmitt landed in the perfect situation. Put him on a bad offense with a poor line, and he could have been a 3.5 ypc back. He certainly would never have approached the numbers he had in Dallas on 90% of the other franchises in his career.

So for me, the big question pre-draft with Ingram was where he would land. He is a similar runner. When teams stood in the box and sold out against the run vs Bama this year, Ingram (and Richardson for that matter) struggled. So if Ingram became the focal point of a bad team, he could waste away on a bad offense, getting 1100 yard 8 td seasons for 4-5 years.

Instead he goes to an offense with a top 4 QB, a bevy of offensive options in the passing game, an offensive line that allows undrafted free agents to average 5 ypc and also-rans like Julius Jones to come in and perform well when his career was basically over.

This is what you call a perfect situation. Teams cannot focus on Ingram. He will shred defenses. Once he's past the D-line, he will make linebackers miss, punish safeties and be the physical force that will give the Saints the best offense in the NFL. If teams decide to focus on Ingram, Brees will flat out shred them.

If I'm in a dynasty startup right now, there are only 2 rb's I take ahead of Ingram. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. And while some of you disagree now...you won't in 2012.

1500 yards, 15 td's are what Ingram will drop for the next 5 years. He may be more of a 1200 and 12 TD guy this year, depending on whether Payton decides to ease him in or not, and especially due to the lockout.

The only thing that keeps him from being a HOF RB in my opinion is health. Same thing with Peterson and Chris Johnson for that matter though. Neither are HOF material yet. But if they stay healthy for another 5-6 years, they will be.

The one thing we KNOW Emmitt had that we don't know about Ingram is durability. We won't know that for a long time. But if he stays durable, he will be enshrined in Canton in about 15 years.

Proto-typical RB's don't grow on trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Ingram got selected by the Saints, he punched a ticket to the hall of fame, assuming he stays healthy, which obviously is something none of us can predict.Ingram has been compared to Emmitt Smith many times, and the reason is that they are carbon copies. Excellent vision, doles out punishment, goalline force, and great moves. Ingram makes moves that are amazing for a man his size. He has unbelievable hips, wide shoulders, quick feet. He's the prototypical RB. Any thoughts of him splitting carries should only concern re-draft people, as many RB's split carries early on, including Peterson, Chris Johnson, etc. Emmitt Smith always had critics. They claimed that if he didn't play on Dallas, he wouldn't have been as good as he is. They might have been right. Emmitt landed in the perfect situation. Put him on a bad offense with a poor line, and he could have been a 3.5 ypc back. He certainly would never have approached the numbers he had in Dallas on 90% of the other franchises in his career.So for me, the big question pre-draft with Ingram was where he would land. He is a similar runner. When teams stood in the box and sold out against the run vs Bama this year, Ingram (and Richardson for that matter) struggled. So if Ingram became the focal point of a bad team, he could waste away on a bad offense, getting 1100 yard 8 td seasons for 4-5 years.Instead he goes to an offense with a top 4 QB, a bevy of offensive options in the passing game, an offensive line that allows undrafted free agents to average 5 ypc and also-rans like Julius Jones to come in and perform well when his career was basically over.This is what you call a perfect situation. Teams cannot focus on Ingram. He will shred defenses. Once he's past the D-line, he will make linebackers miss, punish safeties and be the physical force that will give the Saints the best offense in the NFL. If teams decide to focus on Ingram, Brees will flat out shred them. If I'm in a dynasty startup right now, there are only 2 rb's I take ahead of Ingram. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. And while some of you disagree now...you won't in 2012. 1500 yards, 15 td's are what Ingram will drop for the next 5 years. He may be more of a 1200 and 12 TD guy this year, depending on whether Payton decides to ease him in or not, and especially due to the lockout.The only thing that keeps him from being a HOF RB in my opinion is health. Same thing with Peterson and Chris Johnson for that matter though. Neither are HOF material yet. But if they stay healthy for another 5-6 years, they will be.The one thing we KNOW Emmitt had that we don't know about Ingram is durability. We won't know that for a long time. But if he stays durable, he will be enshrined in Canton in about 15 years.Proto-typical RB's don't grow on trees.
His 0-10 yard speed is fantastic. The biggest question is durability. That is the crap shoot that is called being a NFL workhorse and why so many teams are going to 2 back approaches. But I agree with almost your entire post. He is a sick talent at RB. He is not a blazer, he is a prototypical move the chains, eat clock RB who can be a bellcow for 7-8 years easy.A rare commodity in todays NFL.

I think he is a steal. He's a proven stud on one of the best and most complete college football teams in the last decade. He played in a pro style offense; he will be a HOF.

When Ingram got selected by the Saints, he punched a ticket to the hall of fame, assuming he stays healthy, which obviously is something none of us can predict.

Ingram has been compared to Emmitt Smith many times, and the reason is that they are carbon copies of each other. They both possess excellent vision, dole out punishment, and have tremendous goalline ability. Ingram makes moves that are amazing for a man his size. He has unbelievable hips, wide shoulders and quick feet. He's the prototypical RB.

Any thought of him splitting carries should only concern re-draft people, as many RB's split carries early on, including Peterson, Chris Johnson, etc.

Emmitt Smith always had critics. They claimed that if he didn't play on Dallas, he wouldn't have been as good as he is. They might have been right. Emmitt landed in the perfect situation. Put him on a bad offense with a poor line, and he could have been a 3.5 ypc back. He certainly would never have approached the numbers he had in Dallas on 90% of the other franchises in his career.

So for me, the big question pre-draft with Ingram was where he would land. He is a similar runner. When teams stood in the box and sold out against the run vs Bama this year, Ingram (and Richardson for that matter) struggled. So if Ingram became the focal point of a bad team, he could waste away on a bad offense, getting 1100 yard 8 td seasons for 4-5 years.

Instead he goes to an offense with a top 4 QB, a bevy of offensive options in the passing game, an offensive line that allows undrafted free agents to average 5 ypc and also-rans like Julius Jones to come in and perform well when his career was basically over.

This is what you call a perfect situation. Teams cannot focus on Ingram. He will shred defenses. Once he's past the D-line, he will make linebackers miss, punish safeties and be the physical force that will give the Saints the best offense in the NFL. If teams decide to focus on Ingram, Brees will flat out shred them.

If I'm in a dynasty startup right now, there are only 2 rb's I take ahead of Ingram. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. And while some of you disagree now...you won't in 2012.

1500 yards, 15 td's are what Ingram will drop for the next 5 years. He may be more of a 1200 and 12 TD guy this year, depending on whether Payton decides to ease him in or not, and especially due to the lockout.

The only thing that keeps him from being a HOF RB in my opinion is health. Same thing with Peterson and Chris Johnson for that matter though. Neither are HOF material yet. But if they stay healthy for another 5-6 years, they will be.

The one thing we KNOW Emmitt had that we don't know about Ingram is durability. We won't know that for a long time. But if he stays durable, he will be enshrined in Canton in about 15 years.

He is not Emmitt Smith. He reminds people of him, but he is not. Emmitt is one of the best players ever at his position. Ingram is not even the prospect that Knowshon Moreno was two years ago. This is pure hyperbole.

"If I'm in a dynasty startup right now, there are only 2 rb's I take ahead of Ingram. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. And while some of you disagree now...you won't in 2012."

People would laugh at you and rightfully so. RBs more talented than Ingram have busted.

Not literally. But yes, there are multiple proto-typical RBs in every class.

But I agree with almost your entire post. He is a sick talent at RB. He is not a blazer, he is a prototypical move the chains, eat clock RB who can be a bellcow for 7-8 years easy.A rare commodity in todays NFL.
Rare is a RB lasting 7-8 years. What about Ingram makes you think he can do that? His knees? His ability to stay healhty?This just doesn't make any sense. You could say these things about any RB, most of whom don't have Ingrams health (red) flags.

But I agree with almost your entire post. He is a sick talent at RB. He is not a blazer, he is a prototypical move the chains, eat clock RB who can be a bellcow for 7-8 years easy.

A rare commodity in todays NFL.
Rare is a RB lasting 7-8 years. What about Ingram makes you think he can do that? His knees? His ability to stay healhty?This just doesn't make any sense. You could say these things about any RB, most of whom don't have Ingrams health (red) flags.
Talent + situation + youth. I think 8 might be much, but i think Ingram could have a solid 6 years of top 12 RB numbers.

."If I'm in a dynasty startup right now, there are only 2 rb's I take ahead of Ingram. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. And while some of you disagree now...you won't in 2012."

People would laugh at you and rightfully so. RBs more talented than Ingram have busted.
Arent you the guy who took Mccoy first overall in a dynasty start-up? i would think thats on par with taking Ingram 3rd overall. I dont think either is laughable, but picking either that high is a pretty big stretch IMO.

But I agree with almost your entire post. He is a sick talent at RB. He is not a blazer, he is a prototypical move the chains, eat clock RB who can be a bellcow for 7-8 years easy.

Talent + situation + youth. I think 8 might be much, but i think Ingram could have a solid 6 years of top 12 RB numbers.
I can't even remember the last RB to be top 12 for 8 years, aside from LT. 6 is more reasonable. But I don't think it is safe to assume, by any means. Alexander had five. LJ and JLewis has less than that, IIRC.

I can't even remember the last RB to be top 12 for 8 years, aside from LT. 6 is more reasonable. But I don't think it is safe to assume, by any means. Alexander had five. LJ and JLewis has less than that, IIRC.
Could have, i wouldnt bet that he does, but he is one of the young guys(under 25) in the league that i think has a chance of doing it along with Charles/Mathews/Mcfadden/Rice/Stewart.

He is not Emmitt Smith. He reminds people of him, but he is not. Emmitt is one of the best players ever at his position. Ingram is not even the prospect that Knowshon Moreno was two years ago.

This is pure hyperbole.
It's a hyperbole-off.
At the risk of looking dumb: What?
You answered his hyperbole with equal hyperbole in the opposite direction. Moreno is smaller and slower and had a less distinguished college career.

He is not Emmitt Smith. He reminds people of him, but he is not. Emmitt is one of the best players ever at his position. Ingram is not even the prospect that Knowshon Moreno was two years ago.

This is pure hyperbole.
It's a hyperbole-off.
You answered his hyperbole with equal hyperbole in the opposite direction. Moreno is smaller and slower and had a less distinguished college career.
In hindsight, sure. He was the #4 ranked prospect by Mayock at one point. He had a better score from Kiper and Scouts inc. At the time he came out, he was considered a better prospect than Ingram is now. He was drafted higher, for that reason.Edit: Also, he had a "less distinguished college career" because it was shorter. His production was on par and consistant both years.

Edit(again): Ingram is not faster or bigger than Moreno. Moreno came in at 5105 and 217. Ingram was 5'9" and 215. Moreno had a better 40 time as well.

Why settle for HoF? The NFL needs to establish a Hall of Ingram!! I mean, never mind he's never played a down in the NFL and the list of can't miss guys who have flopped is as long as my arm. I'm on board!

Ugh.

Why settle for HoF? The NFL needs to establish a Hall of Ingram!! I mean, never mind he's never played a down in the NFL and the list of can't miss guys who have flopped is as long as my arm. I'm on board! Ugh.
I take it you didn't notice that he played in a pro-style offense in college and has been compared to Emmitt Smith. ;)

This is pure hyperbole.
It's a hyperbole-off.
In hindsight, sure. He was the #4 ranked prospect by Mayock at one point. He had a better score from Kiper and Scouts inc. At the time he came out, he was considered a better prospect than Ingram is now. He was drafted higher, for that reason.Edit: Also, he had a "less distinguished college career" because it was shorter. His production was on par and consistant both years.

Edit(again): Ingram is not faster or bigger than Moreno. Moreno came in at 5105 and 217. Ingram was 5'9" and 215. Moreno had a better 40 time as well.
Moreno didn't have a better 40 time. They were equal at the combine. At thier pro days, Moreno ran another 4.6 while Ingram ran a 4.47-4.53. Moreno had a 10 yard time of 1.65 while Ingrams was in the low 1.5's.

But I agree with almost your entire post. He is a sick talent at RB. He is not a blazer, he is a prototypical move the chains, eat clock RB who can be a bellcow for 7-8 years easy.A rare commodity in todays NFL.
That is my point it is a rare thing...and no one knows if any back will ever last that long. It is a lot of luck. Marshall Faulk had bad knees coming out of college but gutted out a HOF career. Most RB's that are elite have plenty of wear and tear coming into the league. What factors in is1) situation2) off-season discipline3) luck of not getting a bad injury/injuries

This is pure hyperbole.
It's a hyperbole-off.

Moreno didn't have a better 40 time. They were equal at the combine. At thier pro days, Moreno ran another 4.6 while Ingram ran a 4.47-4.53. Moreno had a 10 yard time of 1.65 while Ingrams was in the low 1.5's.
Igram ran a 4.62. Moreno ran 4.60. When I Googled it, I see I quoted a projected time. So, you are right. They both ran 4.6s at the combine. Seeing as how Ingram's first 10 was faster, Moreno's top speed was faster. That said, they are essentially the same size and are equally fast.

I just find it odd how obviously irritated some posters get at the claim that a very distinguished and talented first round rookie running back, in a near perfect offense for his skills, is going to make a run at the HOF. Health permitting as the OP indicated, is that really that outlandish? Sure, I think the claim that Ingram will drop 1,500/15 for the next 5 years is a bit over the top. But other than that prediction being near impossible to achieve, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Ingram as a top 5 pick in fantasy drafts for the forseeable future and a future HOF candidate.

That is my point it is a rare thing...and no one knows if any back will ever last that long. It is a lot of luck. Marshall Faulk had bad knees coming out of college but gutted out a HOF career. Most RB's that are elite have plenty of wear and tear coming into the league. What factors in is1) situation2) off-season discipline3) luck of not getting a bad injury/injuries
There is nothing about Ingram that suggests his body is better suited to last 7-8 years than most backs. He is coming off a knee injury that caused at least 2 teams to take him off of their board completely. Also, Marshall Faulk was an elite NFL player. Mark Ingram was not even an elite draft prospect. I think we should hold off that comparison, or the suggestion of Ingram being elite.

:lol:

Ingram doesn't have many health flags. He injured his knee a bit early in his Junior season. Other than that? Nothing. He only missed a couple games too.Adrian Peterson had FAR MORE health concerns than Ingram coming into the league.That being said, I'm not going to get further into a discussion about probabilities of player's getting injured. Unless someone can predict the future, it's a waste of time.

I just find it odd how obviously irritated some posters get at the claim that a very distinguished and talented first round rookie running back, in a near perfect offense for his skills, is going to make a run at the HOF. Health permitting as the OP indicated, is that really that outlandish? Sure, I think the claim that Ingram will drop 1,500/15 for the next 5 years is a bit over the top. But other than that prediction being near impossible to achieve, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Ingram as a top 5 pick in fantasy drafts for the forseeable future and a future HOF candidate.
When did NO become a near perfect situation for RBs? He is a good prospect in a weak class. Nothing more than that yet. Why stop with Ingram? What about the 20+ guys drafted before him? HOFers?

."If I'm in a dynasty startup right now, there are only 2 rb's I take ahead of Ingram. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. And while some of you disagree now...you won't in 2012."

Arent you the guy who took Mccoy first overall in a dynasty start-up? i would think thats on par with taking Ingram 3rd overall. I dont think either is laughable, but picking either that high is a pretty big stretch IMO.
I'd never actually take Ingram with 1.03. But he'd be the third RB on my list. Big difference.

Ingram doesn't have many health flags. He injured his knee a bit early in his Junior season. Other than that? Nothing. He only missed a couple games too.Adrian Peterson had FAR MORE health concerns than Ingram coming into the league.That being said, I'm not going to get further into a discussion about probabilities of player's getting injured. Unless someone can predict the future, it's a waste of time.
He could have arthritis. That is a pretty big flag.

Says the guy who doesn't have Arian Foster in his top 5.McCoy finished 3rd in total AND PPG in PPR formats at 22 years old. His ADP is about 1.05, based on the drafts I have seen. Ingram has a mid-to-late-2nd round ADP. Big difference there. Oh. And McCoy has played a down in the NFL.

Stuff like this gets said all the time prior to the draft. He hurt his knee in a practice, had a minor scope, and missed two inconsequential games and played the rest of the year without incident. It's like this is the first time some of you have heard of an arthroscope and that the outcome is like he just had a knee replacement. Too much is being made of this whole thing. RBs get injured, it's just part of the deal. Ingram's the real deal and in a great situation. He'll never be used the way Emmitt was...he's not going to get 370 carries in a Sean Payton offense. But, 270-300 is about right, 1200-1300 yards/season, 10-15 TDs. Starting day one.

Stuff like this gets said all the time prior to the draft. He hurt his knee in a practice, had a minor scope, and missed two inconsequential games and played the rest of the year without incident. It's like this is the first time some of you have heard of an arthroscope and that the outcome is like he just had a knee replacement. Too much is being made of this whole thing. RBs get injured, it's just part of the deal. Ingram's the real deal and in a great situation. He'll never be used the way Emmitt was...he's not going to get 370 carries in a Sean Payton offense. But, 270-300 is about right, 1200-1300 yards/season, 10-15 TDs. Starting day one.
2 teams took him off their board and plenty of teams in need of a RB passed on him. As a fan of his, I hope he has a long healthy career. But lets not pretend that there aren't flags.

2 teams took him off their board and plenty of teams in need of a RB passed on him. As a fan of his, I hope he has a long healthy career. But lets not pretend that there aren't flags.
Did a team point to his health publicly as the reason for not drafting him?

Which two teams took him off their boards?

“I’ve had two teams tell me the knee is very bad,” said Lombardi. “He won’t be on their boards. These are teams that need running backs.”-Mike Lombardi

“I’ve had two teams tell me the knee is very bad,” said Lombardi. “He won’t be on their boards. These are teams that need running backs.”-Mike Lombardi
So, a reporter is regurgitating what supposedly 2 teams have told him prior to the draft. But, we don't know which teams, what position they were in, if they had any ulterior motive for floating this theory out there, etc. We're just taking it at face value. Yet, the Saints, who also had their medical folks look at him, traded away a 2nd and a 1st next year to move up to get him.I'll leave it to your deductive skills to really iron out the discrepancy here.

So, a reporter is regurgitating what supposedly 2 teams have told him prior to the draft. But, we don't know which teams, what position they were in, if they had any ulterior motive for floating this theory out there, etc. We're just taking it at face value. Yet, the Saints, who also had their medical folks look at him, traded away a 2nd and a 1st next year to move up to get him.I'll leave it to your deductive skills to really iron out the discrepancy here.
What discrepancy? He slipped in the draft, past teams who needed RBs. I am not suggesting he is doomed or anything like that. But there is clearly concern among the league, Mr. Holmes.

When did NO become a near perfect situation for RBs? He is a good prospect in a weak class. Nothing more than that yet. Why stop with Ingram? What about the 20+ guys drafted before him? HOFers?
He's a good prospect in a weak class according to your opinion. What does 20+ other guys being drafted before Ingram have to do with the discussion regarding Ingram (the only running back amongst those 20+ players) possibly being a dominant force at his position? As for why New Orleans is a near perfect situation for RB's, well, what other teams would you rather a RB be drafted into? While trotting out the likes of Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Mike Bell, Lynell Hamilton, Chris Ivory, Julius Jones, etc (in other words, the very definition of average talents) the Saints running backs have produced the following statistics:2008 - 371-1542-19 rushing, 120-936-9 receiving, 491-2478-28 totals2009 - 434-1984-19 rushing, 107-781-7 receiving, 541-2765-26 totals2010 - 351-1480-9 rushing, 111-650-2 receiving, 462-2130-11 totalI'm not going to pull up running back stats for the other NFL teams, but I think it's pretty clear that there's a sizable amount of touches, yards and TD's available in New Orleans. I don't think the running back production drop off for the Saints in 2010 and the decision to trade back up into the 1st to grab Ingram are a coincidence.

There is nothing about Ingram that suggests his body is better suited to last 7-8 years than most backs. He is coming off a knee injury that caused at least 2 teams to take him off of their board completely. Also, Marshall Faulk was an elite NFL player. Mark Ingram was not even an elite draft prospect. I think we should hold off that comparison, or the suggestion of Ingram being elite.
Part of the skill and art of playing dynasty FF is being able to watch guys and scout their probabilty of success at the next level. Mark Ingram has shown me he has what it takes to be an elite producer in the NFL.1) Played in a big time conference against elite talent and was a beast? Check.2) Drafted by an elite offense in need of a consistent chain mover? Check3) One of the best 0-10 yard times (which is a key metrix in a RB's success) Check.Mark Ingram is a first round pick. He is in a situation where RB;s are not valued as they once were. NFL teams are employing RBBC more and more every year. It is the latest fad. But if you can land that difference maker (Chris Johnson, ADP, MJD) you ride that horse for as long as you can. I have a feeling the Saints have found that horse.Could be wrong and Ingram is a different back than ADP, MJD and Chris Johnson (who I was touting long before everyone realized how amazing he is). Ingrm is more of a classic 5-7 yard guy but also will break nice chunk yargdage runs of 20 and 30 yards. And boy does he have a nose for the end zone. He makes natural beautiful cuts, let;s his hole develop...and bam hit's the hole with elite skill.Kid is going to be a star.

Dr Andrews sent out a letter saying his knee was fine and there was no concern. I'll take his opinion over two mystery teams who may or may not have questionable motives.

He's a good prospect in a weak class according to your opinion. What does 20+ other guys being drafted before Ingram have to do with the discussion regarding Ingram (the only running back amongst those 20+ players) possibly being a dominant force at his position? As for why New Orleans is a near perfect situation for RB's, well, what other teams would you rather a RB be drafted into? While trotting out the likes of Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, Mike Bell, Lynell Hamilton, Chris Ivory, Julius Jones, etc (in other words, the very definition of average talents) the Saints running backs have produced the following statistics:2008 - 371-1542-19 rushing, 120-936-9 receiving, 491-2478-28 totals2009 - 434-1984-19 rushing, 107-781-7 receiving, 541-2765-26 totals2010 - 351-1480-9 rushing, 111-650-2 receiving, 462-2130-11 totalI'm not going to pull up running back stats for the other NFL teams, but I think it's pretty clear that there's a sizable amount of touches, yards and TD's available in New Orleans. I don't think the running back production drop off for the Saints in 2010 and the decision to trade back up into the 1st to grab Ingram are a coincidence.
My point is, it is not more logical to proclaim Ingram is going to the HOF than it is to say it about any of the players drafted before or around him. I don't find logic in it. When you total up rushing numbers, they look good - except for the Saints RB TDs - but you have to look at how much they share to role. I am not saying it is a bad position for him. In PPR leagues, it is a plus. But I don't think it is near perfect by any means.

"I've had two teams tell me the knee is very bad," said Lombardi. "He won't be on their boards. These are teams that need running backs."

-Mike Lombardi
The Saints must have terrible doctors.
Camron Newton went #1. Does that mean he has no character concerns?Why do you think he lasted as long as he did?
He was drafted in the first round. When is the last time a team took a player at a DEEP position with a 'very bad' knee in the 1st?I think most believe the drop from projections had nothing to do with the knee.

What discrepancy? He slipped in the draft, past teams who needed RBs. I am not suggesting he is doomed or anything like that. But there is clearly concern among the league, Mr. Holmes.
The highest I really saw Ingram being thought of in the mocks was 15 with Miami. And, I think they were foolish to go with Pouncey over Ingram, but...if they wind up with DeAngelo when all this labor stuff irons itself out, then they didn't need to take Ingram, obviously.But, after that, I'm not sure he slipped past too many teams that needed RB. The Patriots, sure, but it's never been like Belichick to go after a RB in the 1st round. The Redskins are one team, but they had much bigger issues on defense than they did at RB. Chargers? No. Giants? No. Buccs? No. Browns? No. Colts? Yeah, but OL was a much bigger concern in protecting Peyton. Eagles? No.And, then the Saints moved up to take him.So, realistically, only the Dolphins, Pats, Skins, and Colts would arguably had a need at RB...but honestly had either much bigger holes to fill or, in the case of Belichick, it's just not part of the philosophy.

Part of the skill and art of playing dynasty FF is being able to watch guys and scout their probabilty of success at the next level. Mark Ingram has shown me he has what it takes to be an elite producer in the NFL.1) Played in a big time conference against elite talent and was a beast? Check.2) Drafted by an elite offense in need of a consistent chain mover? Check3) One of the best 0-10 yard times (which is a key metrix in a RB's success) Check.Mark Ingram is a first round pick. He is in a situation where RB;s are not valued as they once were. NFL teams are employing RBBC more and more every year. It is the latest fad. But if you can land that difference maker (Chris Johnson, ADP, MJD) you ride that horse for as long as you can. I have a feeling the Saints have found that horse.Could be wrong and Ingram is a different back than ADP, MJD and Chris Johnson (who I was touting long before everyone realized how amazing he is). Ingrm is more of a classic 5-7 yard guy but also will break nice chunk yargdage runs of 20 and 30 yards. And boy does he have a nose for the end zone. He makes natural beautiful cuts, let;s his hole develop...and bam hit's the hole with elite skill.Kid is going to be a star.
My point is this and only this: There is no logic, in my opinion, in projecting Ingram to the HOF. If you think it is logical - great. NFL teams with millions at their disposal draft busts on a regular basis. I don't personally view anyone as a sure thing before they produce at an NFL level. I especially don't project HOF careers before a player has a single NFL practice. If you do, that is fine. We won't know if you are right or wrong for some time.

So, realistically, only the Dolphins, Pats, Skins, and Colts would arguably had a need at RB...but honestly had either much bigger holes to fill or, in the case of Belichick, it's just not part of the philosophy.
The Giants could have used him as well, IMO.The Pats drafted Marony in the 1st round, and used their 2nd and 3rd on two RBs. If they thought he provided them value at that spot, the would have taken him.

:goodposting:The thing I love about Ingram is how he passes the eye test. The 0-10 yard split and shuttle performance only provide some quantitative data to what I saw--and a lot of people I think see in him--is that initial burst. I think a lot of people a lot smarter than myself have said that the one thing the ingredients they really want out of a star RB is that North-South burst, vision, and cut-back ability. He so clearly has all of those things.The unanswered questions are the degree to which he'll stay healthy and how much use he'll get. He's been compared to Emmitt, and I can visually pick up on exactly why the comparison is made. But, no way he has a career like Emmitt's. No team leans on its RBs that way, anymore. So, even if he had the same exact skill set, I can't see the durability and use combining for 18,000+ yards over his career. But, I think the Saints really scored big here, and Ingram will definitely benefit from Brees and that style of offense for the next 6-8 years.

So, realistically, only the Dolphins, Pats, Skins, and Colts would arguably had a need at RB...but honestly had either much bigger holes to fill or, in the case of Belichick, it's just not part of the philosophy.
The Giants could have used him as well, IMO.The Pats drafted Marony in the 1st round, and used their 2nd and 3rd on two RBs. If they thought he provided them value at that spot, the would have taken him.
This is true. But, I've long since stopped trying to figure out what Belichick is doing/thinking. I dunno. I'm not putting Ingram in the HOF or anything. But, I really see him as the type of back who could make that type of career for himself, if put in the right situation...and I think that's exactly where he found himself. Reggie Bush is making things even easier these days.

That is my point it is a rare thing...and no one knows if any back will ever last that long. It is a lot of luck. Marshall Faulk had bad knees coming out of college but gutted out a HOF career. Most RB's that are elite have plenty of wear and tear coming into the league. What factors in is

1) situation

2) off-season discipline

3) luck of not getting a bad injury/injuries
I always laugh when I see this.Sure, those two teams, if Ingram was there in the 7th round, would have passed on him.

Sure they would have.

Exactly.I 100% agree it is hyperbole to project a HOF career for Ingram at this point. Way too many variables between here and there to project that.But, I don't think a pre-draft rumor supports the assertion he has an arthritic knee or that teams actually removed him from their boards.

Need more proof than that. Heck, for all we know the Saints could have been one of those teams.Unless someone can prove that he has arthritis in his knees, I'll disregard it as pre-draft junk.

Users who are viewing this thread