What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (3 Viewers)

How is it wasted?  If anything it's been prolonged.
He wasted his prime years getting 8 carries a game in many games

the guy is a great rb and as bell cow somewhere could have probably made himself a lot of money and rushed for a lot of yards

the guy is a great rb and as bell cow somewhere could have probably made himself a lot of money and rushed for a lot of yards
He's gonna have to stretch his career into the 30s in order to make up what could have been if he signed elsewhere last time. Of course his body is not beat up like most 29 year old RBs.

He's gonna have to stretch his career into the 30s in order to make up what could have been if he signed elsewhere last time. Of course his body is not beat up like most 29 year old RBs.
He probably has a couple of good years left for sure but he blew his prime years in NO.  

He should have followed the money last time...talk about a wasted career

What else is he supposed to say at this point.  But when Houston offers him 3 years and 25 million, while New Orleans offers him 2 years and 7 million, suddenly it will be "Thanks for the memories New Orleans!".

He will follow the money just like about 90% of the NFL players do.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Followed what money?  After his first three years, he was kind of a bust and was regularly outplayed by Pierre Thomas.  It wasn't until his contract year, that he somewhat shed that label.  It took him 4 years to develop into a pass catching RB, which was kind of surprising considering his dad was an NFL WR.  I think the offer the Saints gave him was market value or better, and that is why he signed it.  If someone offered him 8 million per year at this point, it would be a mistake.

gonna look greasy good in an Eagles uniform next season! Saints can't keep him too many mouths to feed and Kamara is just plain better. Eagles need a guy like Ingram.

He's been in the league 8 years already and is still relatively fresh.  I think if had not resigned for the Saints before the FA period opened instead of accepting what they offered  he could have made more money. He chose the bird in the hand and  something to be said for not having the wheels run off him and how that has positioned himself for his last fairly big contract. He's made around $22.5M so far in his career and it seems easy to see him playing at last two more years and moving past the $30M in career earnings.

I've spoken about him before.  I like him a lot as a Saints fan, but he has his limitations. His effort makes him very likeable, but if you are expecting him to be a bell-cow top ten RB I think you are going to overpay.  He needs three full steps to get going, making him vulnerable when DLs get quick penetration.  He has little ability to make something out of nothing. He does not have the natural ability to squirm, twist, slither for a yard in short yardage.  He runs slightly upright so he is easy to stand up if he hasn't reached full speed.  If he reaches full speed he's very difficult to bring down because of his power, but he really isn't good at short yardage.  Kamara and Line are better.  He is great on screens, because he usually gets a chance to get to full speed.  I think it took Payton a while to figure out how best to use him, but he's done a good job the last few years.  I'd like to see him come back next year but somebody will overpay for him.  

are you nuts, he's 30 years old at the start of next season:?
And?   Darren Sproles is 35 and still somewhat a threat.  Curtis Martin won the rushing title at 31 with jello for knees.  Ingram doesn't have the mileage.  He's definitely still in his prime!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Ingram - RB -  Saints

ESPN's Jamison Hensley considers free agent Mark Ingram a potential target for the Ravens.

The Ravens had the second most rush yards in the league last year, but they did it without a true feature back. Ingram is a strong scheme fit for OC Greg Roman, who has a history of success with late-career veterans. Landing in Baltimore would be a best case scenario for Ingram's 2019 outlook.

Related: Ravens

Source: ESPN 

Feb 9 - 5:04 PM

Mark Ingram - RB -  Saints

ESPN's Jamison Hensley considers free agent Mark Ingram a potential target for the Ravens.

The Ravens had the second most rush yards in the league last year, but they did it without a true feature back. Ingram is a strong scheme fit for OC Greg Roman, who has a history of success with late-career veterans. Landing in Baltimore would be a best case scenario for Ingram's 2019 outlook.

Related: Ravens

Source: ESPN 

Feb 9 - 5:04 PM
Baltimore would be an awesome landing spot from a fantasy perspective.

Honestly don't see why the Ravens would be interested. I've always felt the Saints offense has made Ingram out to look better than he truly is. He's a decent RB, who is a jack of all trades, but he's hitting 30, and isn't special in any way.  They have 3 RB's who all do certain things better than Ingram, all on their rookie deals.

Honestly don't see why the Ravens would be interested. I've always felt the Saints offense has made Ingram out to look better than he truly is. He's a decent RB, who is a jack of all trades, but he's hitting 30, and isn't special in any way.  They have 3 RB's who all do certain things better than Ingram, all on their rookie deals.
thats funny i have always thought the saints offense has held him back with them using so many rbs and him hardly ever getting big amounts of touches

thats funny i have always thought the saints offense has held him back with them using so many rbs and him hardly ever getting big amounts of touches
I kind of agree with you but I  also think the Saints have helped make Ingram the best version of his 29 year old self he could possibly be. Mainly for two reasons.  They did not run him into the ground and over the years they  developed him into someone with skillset of a three down back.

If you mean fantasy wise, yes they have held him back, but NFL wise, they've propped him up a ton in my opinion. He's never asked to carry the offense, he gets favorable situations, and he gets to be mostly fresh all year. 

I think if a team signs Ingram with the idea that he'll be a 3-down 300+ touch RB, they are taking a big risk, because he's never proven he can do that, and pushing 30 usually isn't the time to start. On top of that, asking that workload increase while maintaining the level of play he has on limited touches, is a suckers bet. 

Minority opinion I guess, but I think the best move for Ingram, both for performance, and career success, would be to stay in New Orleans.

If you mean fantasy wise, yes they have held him back, but NFL wise, they've propped him up a ton in my opinion. He's never asked to carry the offense, he gets favorable situations, and he gets to be mostly fresh all year. 

I think if a team signs Ingram with the idea that he'll be a 3-down 300+ touch RB, they are taking a big risk, because he's never proven he can do that, and pushing 30 usually isn't the time to start. On top of that, asking that workload increase while maintaining the level of play he has on limited touches, is a suckers bet. 

Minority opinion I guess, but I think the best move for Ingram, both for performance, and career success, would be to stay in New Orleans.
I hope he goes to my eagles.  They will never truly feature him but he would be better then he was in New Orleans for a couple seasons imo

I hope he goes to my eagles.  They will never truly feature him but he would be better then he was in New Orleans for a couple seasons imo
He'd certainly be an upgrade there, though I can't imagine the Eagles outbidding anyone with their league worst cap situation. Maybe a guy like Alex Collins would be a good match there.

He'd certainly be an upgrade there, though I can't imagine the Eagles outbidding anyone with their league worst cap situation. Maybe a guy like Alex Collins would be a good match there.
God I hope not. They need to find a RB and just stick with them for 5-7 years instead of this constant shuffling. 

(In reference to Collins - I would take 3 years from Ingram)

God I hope not. They need to find a RB and just stick with them for 5-7 years instead of this constant shuffling. 

(In reference to Collins - I would take 3 years from Ingram)
Finding a RB for 5-7 years isn't very realistic, without dropping a 1st(or at least a high) round pick on one. They certainly won't get a guy in FA, and how many teams have RB's with that longevity anyway? 

I wasn't saying Collins is better than Ingram, he's not, just that he's a decent RB, that they can afford. Unless they make a ton of cap cuts, Ingram is probably a pipe dream. 

Finding a RB for 5-7 years isn't very realistic, without dropping a 1st(or at least a high) round pick on one. They certainly won't get a guy in FA, and how many teams have RB's with that longevity anyway? 

I wasn't saying Collins is better than Ingram, he's not, just that he's a decent RB, that they can afford. Unless they make a ton of cap cuts, Ingram is probably a pipe dream. 
I would rather they invest in a guy they have for 5+ years or draft a guy and do the same. I didn’t necessarily mean free agency. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bears and Packers are both interested in signing free agent Mark Ingram.

"[Ingram's] got a couple interested teams including the Packers and Bears," Rapoport said in a video hit on the NFL Network. Rumors swirled at the Combine that Chicago was looking to move on from Jordan Howard, and Ingram would fill-in admirably as a one-two punch with Tarik Cohen if the Bears do trade the 24-year-old early in free agency. The Saints are also looking to bring back the 29-year-old veteran to continue his career in New Orleans, but Ingram may be looking to take on a larger role in a different backfield.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

, Green Bay Packers

Mar 10, 2019, 5:44 PM

Best case scenario for Ingram from both a personal and fantasy perspective.  He can thrive in baltimore and he moves into the top 10 for rbs this year for sure

That's not much of a difference if they really wanted Ingram or he really wanted to stay.  However you want to add it up to me this parting does not seem money motivated. Either Saints wanted Murray at least as much as Ingram or Ingram wanted to play with someone else.
I agree with the bolded. The money is pretty close if it's three at fifteen for Ingram and four at 14.4 for Murray.

Well, I guess it is 1.87 or so million a year in difference. Who knows what each party was thinking...

Yea I expected to see a much larger difference in money. I think either Ingram wanted a run at feature back work before his career was out or (possibly more likely) he thought he'd be able to get $8mil/yr and by the time he realized that wasn't happening the Saints had already signed Murray. 

Heard some analyst say Ingram really wanted to stay but they only offered him 4.5M/yr.  If true, they obviously valued Murray as an upgrade.

We seem to get caught up in the big dollar contracts where $1Mill more a year isn't as big a deal but when getting 3-5 million a year, a million more is a big deal.  Ingram is almost getting 50% more than Murray per year, that is a big difference. How is the guaranteed money?

Best case scenario for Ingram from both a personal and fantasy perspective.  He can thrive in baltimore and he moves into the top 10 for rbs this year for sure
I'm good with this landing spot because they won't be airing it out. He won't catch many passes but should get the goal line work that Jackson doesn't steal himself. Seems that your running QBs tend to free up the RB for big gains.

Heard some analyst say Ingram really wanted to stay but they only offered him 4.5M/yr.  If true, they obviously valued Murray as an upgrade.
How's that? Murray is only averaging $3.6 mil/yr.  (4/14.4)

I can't see anyone valuing Murray as an upgrade. Particularly the Saints. Ingram knows everything inside/out with that offense, a better runner and much more versatile. And if your  statement is correct above, the Saints didn't as they offered Ingram a million more per year than Murray.

On an average annual basis, Ingram is making about a million and a half more with the Ravens. 

Ingram is almost getting 50% more than Murray per year, that is a big difference. How is the guaranteed money?
Ingram's contract is $5M a year and Murray's is $3.6M but got to see structure to really compare them, key is what they get in first two years and it might be closer once we look at that. Not sure on Ingrams guarantee but the best part of Latavius deal was he got half of it guaranteed so even if his first two year are league minimum he should be easily see $4.5M on first two years of that deal, which is why I think when we get all the numbers and break it down the first two years of their deals are going to look even closer. I'm using two years because of their age and typical contract structure I'd be willing to bet year 3 neither have guarantees, both will be 30+.

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec considers Mark Ingram the "logical choice" to serve as the Ravens' third-down back.

Rookie Justice Hill has been hyped as a potential third down option, though Ingram is a solid pass catcher who holds his own in protection. He certainly won't be coming off the field in every passing situation. Ingram already has a high floor in the Ravens' run-heavy attack, but securing third-down duties would make him that much more intriguing.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 23, 2019, 2:30 PM ET

I just don't like any WRs in the early to mid 4th that I like as much as Ingram. Been taking him a lot. Probably at the top of my "own too many shares of" list. Bestballs mostly but a couple FBGs I've done I've snagged him there. Baltimore seems like a money spot for him.

Users who are viewing this thread