What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (2 Viewers)

The only way a RB can "look good" with those kinds of pedestrian stats is when an anxious fantasy owner is watching him. Ingram is one of the slowest RBs in the NFL- he may be able to do fairly well on a prolific offense like the Saints, but you're kidding yourself if you don't recognize his obvious limitations as a runner.

The only way a RB can "look good" with those kinds of pedestrian stats is when an anxious fantasy owner is watching him. Ingram is one of the slowest RBs in the NFL- he may be able to do fairly well on a prolific offense like the Saints, but you're kidding yourself if you don't recognize his obvious limitations as a runner.
He's got a ridiculous 10-yard split, and runs with power. Not every back can have 4.3-4.4 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
pierre looked rediculous tonight. he broke a ton of tackles. ingram owners should be happy that the saints are so invested in ingram that they dont even care how well pierre plays and will give ingram a heavy workload regardless. but proly not a heavy enough workload to justify his adp.

Ingram: 13 carries

PT and Sproles: 7 carries

Ingram started the game and got the goal line looks. Saints OL crushed. Payton was way too predictable. He better find a way to involve Ingram more in the passing game. I have faith in Payton's creativity and willingness to adjust. Don't panic just yet, tho the OL is cause for concern.

I'm happy for you. It must be great to think of yourself as a guru when in reality you know nothing about football. I wish I lacked self awareness. I'd sleep better at night...

I can live with 4pts from Ingram this week just because they gave him the ball - NOT Brees - with the game on the line in the first game. If only their OL didnt suck.
:goodposting: The fact that he got the ball in that situation says a lot, and I honestly don't think any RB in this league could have scored on that last play with the push the Saints o-line was allowing, dude didn't stand a chance. Very encouraged from this performance.
:confused: I could see being encouraged by the fact that he got the ball more than Pierre Thomas, but I'm not sure how you can encouraged by his actual performance. He didn't really do anything at all that demonstrated that he's the best RB on the team. In fact, Pierre Thomas did a lot more with his touches than Ingram. And with Brees getting flattened as many times as he was, I would think that the Saints will be less and less likely to use a rookie RB if that continues to happen.

Obviously the kid has some talent, he won the Heisman for crying out loud, but this situation just screams RBBC to me, just like it has been for quite some time in N.O.
Ingram was inserted on obvious rushing downs against an already stout rush D, I think he showed great vision on a few of the 4 and 5 yard rushes he had where he took his time then hit the hole when it looked like he would be tackled for a loss initially. That's encouraging to me for a rookie RB against a top rush D. Also when did Brees get flattened when Ingram was in the game? From where I sat it was PT and Sproles blowing the blitz pickups, not Ingram since he was hardly in the game during a passing situation. Overall the opportunities he was given in his first game in the NFL was an encouraging sign for me, maybe I initially misworded my statement but at the end of the game I came away happy to be an Ingram owner. PT looked impressive on 1 or 2 touches, but was utilized in a much less predictable way which opened up the lanes for him a bit more (besides the play where he spun through 3 defenders, that was just nasty).

saints offense was too straightforward with ingram in. oline sucked in short yardage. things will get better if the defense gets better. things will stay this bad if the saints frequently play from behind.

Ingram: 13 carries

PT and Sproles: 7 carries

Ingram started the game and got the goal line looks. Saints OL crushed. Payton was way too predictable. He better find a way to involve Ingram more in the passing game. I have faith in Payton's creativity and willingness to adjust. Don't panic just yet, tho the OL is cause for concern.
Yes, that was the most disturbing part to his game tonight.

Without a single target and when there's a running play almost every time he's in the game, he turns into Beanie Wells circa 2009. A decent RB2 with a low ceiling.

My worry isn't necessarily about how Ingram played, but because Sproles came out so hot. We all knew/assumed that Ingram's load would increase over time, but when his main competitor comes on lights-out and clearly has good timing with the QB, it's hard to see him stealing time anytime soon.
Except that I don't see Sproles as Ingram's main competitor. Pierre Thomas is. Sproles is a separate beast, and will be used in specific situations, but will not take carries away from Ingram or Thomas on a regular basis.The key is Ingram vs. Thomas. In a game where New Orleans was behind most of the way, Ingram got the majority of carries. What's going to happen when the Saints are ahead in the 2nd half? That's when they'll give it to Ingram every down. By the end of September, he'll be averaging 18-20 carries a game. By the end of November, he'll be a top 10 RB1. Just in time.
:goodposting: Don't know for sure about the top 10 part, upside is certainly there in this offense, and not every opponent will have the caliber of defense he faced tonight; but you astutely identified that Ingram vs. Thomas is the potential RBBC, NOT Sproles...

Again, Ingram's measurables are mediocre, by any standard. He is slow. I don't have a dog in this hunt, usually staying away from all Saints players other than Brees. I said he will probably do well, if he gets enough carries, because the Saints have a fantastic passing game and defenses will undoubtedly leave plenty of room for any RB to get nice yardage. He doesn't have the ability to take it a long distance, but if given enough carries, he will meander through nice holes for 4 yards, a cloud of dust and some TDs.

Just stating that he isn't any special.

Again, Ingram's measurables are mediocre, by any standard. He is slow. I don't have a dog in this hunt, usually staying away from all Saints players other than Brees. I said he will probably do well, if he gets enough carries, because the Saints have a fantastic passing game and defenses will undoubtedly leave plenty of room for any RB to get nice yardage. He doesn't have the ability to take it a long distance, but if given enough carries, he will meander through nice holes for 4 yards, a cloud of dust and some TDs.Just stating that he isn't any special.
Glad you think that after 1 game and 13 carries.Its a good thing all teams go by measurables to get their future starting RB.

ingram fans are lucky the coaching staff has all but completely eschewed pierre, bc he looked amazing on the run where he broke like 5 tackles and on the catch where he broke the dudes arm and got an important first.

After watching the game tonight, I felt that Ingram was in on obvious running downs. Made me think of S Greene last year for the Jets. He still ran well with the carries he was given, but when the defense knows you are going to run it between the tackles with the big guy, it is much harder to break free for big gains.

I also do not have a dog in this hunt, but P Thomas looked much more versatile. Add in the way Sproles played tonight and this appears to be a full blown 3 way RBBC.

ingram fans are lucky the coaching staff has all but completely eschewed pierre, bc he looked amazing on the run where he broke like 5 tackles and on the catch where he broke the dudes arm and got an important first.
and that was pierre's 1 eye opening play of the game. he had a few nice plays, he hardly looked amazing.there's a reason he's the backup. likely passblocking.

and that was pierre's 1 eye opening play of the game. he had a few nice plays, he hardly looked amazing.there's a reason he's the backup. likely passblocking.
the reason he is the backup is bc payton invested and staked his reputation on ingram and will do everything in his power to justify it. thats a great thing for ingram fantasy owners. no need to diminish pierre breaking moar tackles on one play than ingram did all game or make baseless assertions about his passblocking.

Be patient with Ingram. He's going to be a stud. The tape doesn't lie. Ingram will be their feature back sometime this season (likely sooner than later).

Ingram looked OK. I thought PT and Sproles looked more explosive, so that isn't good for Ingram's touches. If both of those guys stay healthy all year, that will definitely limit Ingram's FF ceiling this year. I think he finishes in the middle of the RB2 pack, which isn't what I think a lot of folks were hoping to get.

By the way, did anyone watch Sproles tonight and think Reggie Bush underachieved even more than you already thought he did? I remember Bush having some great returns, but even though I only watched about half the game, Sproles at 28 looked more dynamic than most every game I saw Bush play. I am sort of glad I didn't buy into the Bush hype train in Miami. He may pile up the receptions in PPR leagues, but without Brees, I don't see great results.

I bought in to the Ingram hype and that was a mistake. I bought the idea that because Payton had never had a really dynamic workhorse back he would change his tendency to use a backfield by committee and commit to Ingram. That seems to be false. Ingram is playing the BGE role in the backfield. The problem is that while in NE BGE is splitting carries primarily with Woodhead, Ingram has Sproles playing the Woodhead role, and Thomas splitting the BGE role. Ingram seems to be the goal line option, but the only way Ingram has value is if he scores TDs. And TDs tend to be inconsistent. That means that Ingram will probably have about 15 touches per game if he and Thomas continue to split that role. Sproles can put up points with that limited number of touches, at least in a PPR format, Ingram can't. It would help, in a PPR format, if Ingram was involved in the passing game. Last night he wasn't. We will have to see if that will be the case as the season progresses.

I thought Ingram looked pretty good running the ball, relatively dynamic, but I don't know that he will get enough touches to be really productive for fantasy. In the games where the Saints get up and they can lean on teams, and grind with the running game, he might do okay, but I don't see week to week productivity unless Thomas gets hurt.

I think the value in this backfield is Sproles, in a PPR format. I kept thinking that Sproles was being undervalued if he was going to play the Bush role in this offense. Now it appears he is playing that role and is better at it than Bush was. I'm kicking myself for drafting Ingram early, and not going after Sproles late.

That is simply not true. He is very quick through the holes, very fast acceleration. I don't see any limitations as a runner?

When Ingram carried the ball, the safeties were in and the defense was keying on the run. When Thomas carried the ball, there was some of that but he also faced a lot of spread-out, safeties-back looks.

Payton's a smart guy, he knows he can't just have Ingram out there on running plays and take him out when he wants to pass...it'll be fine

I bought in to the Ingram hype and that was a mistake. I bought the idea that because Payton had never had a really dynamic workhorse back he would change his tendency to use a backfield by committee and commit to Ingram. That seems to be false. Ingram is playing the BGE role in the backfield. The problem is that while in NE BGE is splitting carries primarily with Woodhead, Ingram has Sproles playing the Woodhead role, and Thomas splitting the BGE role. Ingram seems to be the goal line option, but the only way Ingram has value is if he scores TDs. And TDs tend to be inconsistent. That means that Ingram will probably have about 15 touches per game if he and Thomas continue to split that role. Sproles can put up points with that limited number of touches, at least in a PPR format, Ingram can't. It would help, in a PPR format, if Ingram was involved in the passing game. Last night he wasn't. We will have to see if that will be the case as the season progresses. I thought Ingram looked pretty good running the ball, relatively dynamic, but I don't know that he will get enough touches to be really productive for fantasy. In the games where the Saints get up and they can lean on teams, and grind with the running game, he might do okay, but I don't see week to week productivity unless Thomas gets hurt.I think the value in this backfield is Sproles, in a PPR format. I kept thinking that Sproles was being undervalued if he was going to play the Bush role in this offense. Now it appears he is playing that role and is better at it than Bush was. I'm kicking myself for drafting Ingram early, and not going after Sproles late.
Wow, all that after one game in which Ingram's team was down by 2 TD's before they took a breath, and remained down by 1-2 scores throughout the game.
That is simply not true. He is very quick through the holes, very fast acceleration. I don't see any limitations as a runner?
You know a RB has to have 4.3-4.4 speed to make it in the NFL. Duh.

One thing is for sure regarding Ingram...Payton can't keep bringing him in on certain running downs and expect to get the best out of him. I think it's better to give running backs an entire series than to rotate them in DURING series. If you noticed, Ingram did his damage early in the 3rd when Payton started the half with two straight series using Ingram. Ingram was in on both passing and running plays. He yanked off two 8-9 yard gains.

When you bring him in on first, run him up the middle, then yank him out and put in Pierre, then put in Sproles on 3rd down....you are just telegraphing things.

We will see how things evolve.

Payton's a smart guy, he knows he can't just have Ingram out there on running plays and take him out when he wants to pass...it'll be fine
Good point, but how can you ignore Sproles? To me he looked far and away like the best Saint not named Brees last night.

When Ingram carried the ball, the safeties were in and the defense was keying on the run. When Thomas carried the ball, there was some of that but he also faced a lot of spread-out, safeties-back looks.Payton's a smart guy, he knows he can't just have Ingram out there on running plays and take him out when he wants to pass...it'll be fine
Yeah, it's too soon to panic, but you have to think what type of fantasy impact will he have. The circumstances called for NO to throw the ball 40+ times. I'm pretty sure all their games won't be shoot outs, but with that said P.Thomas looked pretty good and Sproles lead in targets. For such a pass offense like that, a crowd backfield with everyone health...fantasy output is a crap shoot.

Wow, all that after one game in which Ingram's team was down by 2 TD's before they took a breath, and remained down by 1-2 scores throughout the game.

I think much of Ingram's value is dependent on his being a workhorse. If he is going to be in a backfield, splitting carries with Thomas, and Sproles then he just isn't going to get the touches to be productive. Despite the score we could see the gameplan. I would like to see if ignoring Ingram in the passing game was just this game, or if it is how they intend to use him. But as long as Ingram is splitting carries with Thomas and Sproles, and not involved in the passing game, his productivity is definitely limited.

I thought he looked good on many Carries. He doesn't have great top speed but he got through the line very quickly. He had a couple successive carries in the 2nd where he found the hole quickly and ran downhill for nice gains.

The fact that he started both haves and got the goalline looks should be encouraging for fantasy owners. Not a great statistical game but the combo of it being his first and it being against the top rated defense makes it an okay start.

On the road against a high-scoring opponent with an excellent run defense in the 1st game of his career after a lockout-shortened preseason and with 2 more experienced RBs on his team. It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict that Ingram might not have a huge game. Did people honestly expect 100+ yards and multiple TDs in this game?

I don't know about you, but I see some tasty matchups coming up where it would be perfectly reasonable to project 100+ and multiple TDs.

2 Sep 18 CHI

3 Sep 25 HOU

4 Oct 2 @ JAC

5 Oct 9 @ CAR

6 Oct 16 @ TAM

7 Oct 23 IND

8 Oct 30 @ STL

9 Nov 6 TAM

10 Nov 13 @ ATL

Ingram: 13 carriesPT and Sproles: 7 carriesIngram started the game and got the goal line looks. Saints OL crushed. Payton was way too predictable. He better find a way to involve Ingram more in the passing game. I have faith in Payton's creativity and willingness to adjust. Don't panic just yet, tho the OL is cause for concern.
Agreed 100 percent. Ingram is a great receiver out of the back.. No swing passes, screens or just flat out 1 on 1 with the line backer. Payton ran a stupid offense and they played catch up all night. Ingram needs 15-20 carries and 3-5 catches. Wake up Payton.

One thing is for sure regarding Ingram...Payton can't keep bringing him in on certain running downs and expect to get the best out of him. I think it's better to give running backs an entire series than to rotate them in DURING series. If you noticed, Ingram did his damage early in the 3rd when Payton started the half with two straight series using Ingram. Ingram was in on both passing and running plays. He yanked off two 8-9 yard gains.When you bring him in on first, run him up the middle, then yank him out and put in Pierre, then put in Sproles on 3rd down....you are just telegraphing things.We will see how things evolve.
Good point, I think if they give Ingram 2 series to play 1st 2nd and 3rd downs, then bring in PT and sproles, then put Ingram in for 2 more series.. Interchanging after every down is so foolish and highschoolish. He needs to get it together, let Ingram get a rhythym. I never felt Ingram really got involved in the offense at all. They ignored him the whole first half and they came out running Ingram hard out of the gates in the 3rd quarter where he broke his best two runs. He was inches away from potentially tying the game, although I wish he would have scored also, It's not a big deal and I think Ingram could still be ok, they just need to do some Adjusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought he looked good on many Carries. He doesn't have great top speed but he got through the line very quickly. He had a couple successive carries in the 2nd where he found the hole quickly and ran downhill for nice gains. The fact that he started both haves and got the goalline looks should be encouraging for fantasy owners. Not a great statistical game but the combo of it being his first and it being against the top rated defense makes it an okay start.
:goodposting:People need to calm down. If you were guaranteed that he'd get 65% of the carries and all the goal line looks before your draft, would you have taken him in the 4th round? Of course you would have.Saints aren't going to be playing from behind very much this season as potent as their offense looked. Not every opponent is Green Bay and capable of hanging 42 on you. Payton looked to me like he really wanted to establish the run, but had a hard time doing so when trailing by double digits non-stop. 15-17 carries and the goal line looks is all that one should be expecting when drafting Ingram, and it's probably going to get him about 900 yards and 8-10 TDs. That's a rock-solid RB2 in a TD-heavy league. If you drafted him in a PPR league hoping for Peyton Hillis-type numbers, you're a nincompoop.

I thought he looked good on many Carries. He doesn't have great top speed but he got through the line very quickly. He had a couple successive carries in the 2nd where he found the hole quickly and ran downhill for nice gains. The fact that he started both haves and got the goalline looks should be encouraging for fantasy owners. Not a great statistical game but the combo of it being his first and it being against the top rated defense makes it an okay start.
:goodposting:People need to calm down. If you were guaranteed that he'd get 65% of the carries and all the goal line looks before your draft, would you have taken him in the 4th round? Of course you would have.Saints aren't going to be playing from behind very much this season as potent as their offense looked. Not every opponent is Green Bay and capable of hanging 42 on you. Payton looked to me like he really wanted to establish the run, but had a hard time doing so when trailing by double digits non-stop. 15-17 carries and the goal line looks is all that one should be expecting when drafting Ingram, and it's probably going to get him about 900 yards and 8-10 TDs. That's a rock-solid RB2 in a TD-heavy league. If you drafted him in a PPR league hoping for Peyton Hillis-type numbers, you're a nincompoop.
agree completely. I don't own Ingram in any leagues but definitely wanted him. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. It was opening night, on the road, against the SB champs and they were down 10+ the whole game. This game will be the outlying exception not the rule.

I bought in to the Ingram hype and that was a mistake. I bought the idea that because Payton had never had a really dynamic workhorse back he would change his tendency to use a backfield by committee and commit to Ingram. That seems to be false. Ingram is playing the BGE role in the backfield. The problem is that while in NE BGE is splitting carries primarily with Woodhead, Ingram has Sproles playing the Woodhead role, and Thomas splitting the BGE role. Ingram seems to be the goal line option, but the only way Ingram has value is if he scores TDs. And TDs tend to be inconsistent. That means that Ingram will probably have about 15 touches per game if he and Thomas continue to split that role. Sproles can put up points with that limited number of touches, at least in a PPR format, Ingram can't. It would help, in a PPR format, if Ingram was involved in the passing game. Last night he wasn't. We will have to see if that will be the case as the season progresses. I thought Ingram looked pretty good running the ball, relatively dynamic, but I don't know that he will get enough touches to be really productive for fantasy. In the games where the Saints get up and they can lean on teams, and grind with the running game, he might do okay, but I don't see week to week productivity unless Thomas gets hurt.I think the value in this backfield is Sproles, in a PPR format. I kept thinking that Sproles was being undervalued if he was going to play the Bush role in this offense. Now it appears he is playing that role and is better at it than Bush was. I'm kicking myself for drafting Ingram early, and not going after Sproles late.
I agree with alot of that.Still, he could be a guy to try to get at a value. I agree that his value lies in TDs. While unpredictable, if he's getting 13-15 touches and TD opps, there's value in that. Saints only ran for 9 TDs last year, but they ran for 21 in '09 and 20 in '08.As a rookie, it's reasonable to expect his role in the passing game will increase over the course of the season. Won't ever be exceptional, but maybe serviceable.He'd be a monster if (when?) Frenchy goes down and, until then, I think he can be serviceable. Probably not what some were expecting, but I don't know why anyone would have huge expectations with a 3-headed RBBC. It won't happen over night, but I suspect he currently holds more value than his current owner perceives, in alot of leagues.

I look for a similar opener to last year, when they beat Minny 14-9.
Nailed this one, who wants my predictions for the weekend? :rolleyes:
In all truth I was surprised by the outcome. One, GB showed no Super Bowl hangover (on the offensive side) and two, NO carved up what was supposed to be an even better GB Def. The scary thing is, these two teams were supposed to have top 8 defenses (GB being touted as #1 by most). What is going to happen when they play teams with poor defense?? I have to admit, I thought both teams were so loaded, that I literally only have one Saint on any of my three teams and no Packers...it may be a long season for me...

LOVE seeing all this panic. Put in trade offers for Ingram in three leagues this morning. :thumbup:
it's nuts.
Do people never learn? Overreacting to one week is always such a bad idea.Ingram got nearly 2x the carries of Thomas, the coaches gave him the goal line carry with no time left, with the game on the line, and he passed all his pass blocking tests (at least from my vantage point). Thomas is going to have a role, but Thomas also never stays healthy and Ingram is going to carry teams when it matters most, our fantasy playoffs. :thumbup:

I can live with 4pts from Ingram this week just because they gave him the ball - NOT Brees - with the game on the line in the first game. If only their OL didnt suck.
:goodposting: The fact that he got the ball in that situation says a lot, and I honestly don't think any RB in this league could have scored on that last play with the push the Saints o-line was allowing, dude didn't stand a chance. Very encouraged from this performance.
:confused: I could see being encouraged by the fact that he got the ball more than Pierre Thomas, but I'm not sure how you can encouraged by his actual performance. He didn't really do anything at all that demonstrated that he's the best RB on the team. In fact, Pierre Thomas did a lot more with his touches than Ingram. And with Brees getting flattened as many times as he was, I would think that the Saints will be less and less likely to use a rookie RB if that continues to happen.

Obviously the kid has some talent, he won the Heisman for crying out loud, but this situation just screams RBBC to me, just like it has been for quite some time in N.O.
Please point to the play where Ingram blew a block on a passing play.

I'm offering Hernandez for Ingram. He would be nuts to accept it, but he started him. He has Gronkowski for TE, so I know he will sweat which TE will get the points each week. We'll see, Week 1 panic may work for me

“You’ve got to get a yard,” Ingram said. “It’s goal line to win the game, got to get a yard.”
Mathematics not Ingram's strong suit apparently.
Weren't they on the 1-yard line? :confused:
They were down by 8 there. Nothing that happend on that play (or the next one for that matter) was going to win the game for the Saints.
Only way NO's wins the game is to get that yard then a 2 point conversion then score first in OT. They don't get that yard they don't win. His math is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread