What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (5 Viewers)

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett to "return to some form of timeshare" when Khiry Robinson and Pierre Thomas return from their injuries.

Robinson and Thomas have missed each of New Orleans' last two games, creating a perfect storm for Mark Ingram. Coach Sean Payton was asked following Thursday night's win over Carolina whether Ingram has earned a larger share. "Listen, he certainly is," said Payton. "Yet the key is just the durability. But he's been outstanding. I think that Sunday and then what he did last night, those are a lot of touches. And so we're gonna have to, as we get guys healthy, break those up. And yet to his credit, he's handled that workload."
This translates to - "I know we've won two games in a row for the first time since last year and we've done it feeding Ingram the rock, so now we're going to change that up." Brilliant.

They drafted him in the 1st round for this, but he was never good enough to do it. You can cherrypick games where his stats were good the past 3 years but if you actually watched the games he was not running like his is now. Payton wanted to ride him 3 years ago and now he finally can.

Now obviously that still doesn't preclude Payton from trying to get too cute at the goal line or when up by two scores in the 4th. That's just his nature.
He was running like this against the Cowboys, and in the playoffs, and in the first two games of this year, and yet Payton didn't "ride" him after those games.

He was running angry at the end of last year. The light went on for him and the coaching staff.
He was running angry against the Cowboys in week 10, but no light went off since he was hardly used after that. We won't know if the light went off until everyone is back from injury.
No, he didn't run like this vs the Cowboys last year. I'm talking the way he ran, not the stat sheet. Yes, he ran this way in the playoffs, yes he ran this way in the preseason and yes he's been ridden ever since. In week 2 this year they were down 16-3 in the first half, though he still had the most touches. I'm just talking about watching games here, not stats.
Take another look, tell me he wasn't running angry.

He's been ridden ever since- is that a joke? He had a great game to start the playoffs, which was followed up by playing 2nd fiddle to Robinson the next game. He had 14 out of 34 RB touches in week 1 and 14 out of 30 in week 2. Lol at being down 16-3 in the first half- that didn't stop them from giving Robinson more carries than Ingram in the 1st half, did it?

We must have very different definitions of what "riding him" means. Ingram wasn't even the starter in weeks 1 and 2 and had 44% of the RB touches (that's ignoring the Lions game since it was his first game back from injury, but the numbers were similar). That certainly doesn't qualify in my book.
You don't ride a workhorse when you're down two scores like they were in Seattle. I don't really know what your point is, actually.

My first post said they drafted him in the first round for this. He's not a pass catcher, he's a runner. They drafted him to run, he sucked, and guys like Ivory and Robinson saw opportunities. So, I think now that he's performing the way they expected they'll ride him as best they can when the game is going the way they need it to. If they go back to being down two scores early, Thomas and Robinson will come in. That's what a team with multiple options does.
What were they saving him for, next season? You're making less sense with each post.

My point is that he has played well in the past, yet Payton hasn't rewarded him with a large workload afterwards. Ingram did not suck last year, he actually played very well with the limited reps he got.

Your claim that they have "ridden" him ever since is absurd- they may from here on out, but they certainly haven't up until they had 2 RB injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

The panic is hysterical. I would be fine if he dropped from 28 carries per game down to 16-18. But the notion that he is going to be getting less then 50% of the carries (14 per game) is patently ridiculous.

Khiry will get one series each half to spell Ingram and end up with 5-10 carries depending on the pace of the game.

What were they saving him for, next season? You're making less sense with each post.

My point is that he has played well in the past, yet Payton hasn't rewarded him with a large workload afterwards. Ingram did not suck last year, he actually played very well with the limited reps he got.

Your claim that they have "ridden" him ever since is absurd- they may from here on out, but they certainly haven't up until they had 2 RB injuries.
They weren't saving him. I never said that. I said he sucked so they didn't use him. That much is completely obvious to all Saints fans that have seen his career. He was utter garbage outside of a few plays for three years until about week 16 last year. Get over the Dallas game - they were historically bad last year and everyone knows it.

I don't know what else to say to satisfy you, as I can only speak to my experience watching Ingram and this team every week. Most people in this thread have not seen him that much so I thought it would be good to share the perspective. Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative.

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett to "return to some form of timeshare" when Khiry Robinson and Pierre Thomas return from their injuries.

Robinson and Thomas have missed each of New Orleans' last two games, creating a perfect storm for Mark Ingram. Coach Sean Payton was asked following Thursday night's win over Carolina whether Ingram has earned a larger share. "Listen, he certainly is," said Payton. "Yet the key is just the durability. But he's been outstanding. I think that Sunday and then what he did last night, those are a lot of touches. And so we're gonna have to, as we get guys healthy, break those up. And yet to his credit, he's handled that workload."
This translates to - "I know we've won two games in a row for the first time since last year and we've done it feeding Ingram the rock, so now we're going to change that up." Brilliant.
Ingram owner?

obviously they will go back to some sort of a committee, every team does it to some extent and certainly almost every coach pays lip service to it. Ingram got a little over 50% of the carries early in the season and will almost certainly see that jump up to 60-65% now plus the team is running the ball more now. say they run it 27-29 times a game, Ingram will be getting 15-19 carries still. throw in a catch or two and almost a TD a game and you are looking at 15-18 PPG still. guy is a borderline RB1 right now and you might be able to get him for cheaper than that.

The panic is hysterical. I would be fine if he dropped from 28 carries per game down to 16-18. But the notion that he is going to be getting less then 50% of the carries (14 per game) is patently ridiculous.

Khiry will get one series each half to spell Ingram and end up with 5-10 carries depending on the pace of the game.
No doubt. People are fooling themselves if they think the work he put in these past two games did not mean a bigger role. Khiry will spell him but that's it.

And in case people are just looking at the stat sheet and not paying attention to the games he was in on a lot of obvious passing downs last night which is also kind of significant for his value.

In terms of longterm dynasty related outlook what the toughness and running ability he has shown these past two weeks can not be understated. If these two games were an audition for his upcoming free agency in hopes he got signed to be a full time feature back I think he just passed.

They weren't saving him. I never said that. I said he sucked so they didn't use him. That much is completely obvious to all Saints fans that have seen his career. He was utter garbage outside of a few plays for three years until about week 16 last year. Get over the Dallas game - they were historically bad last year and everyone knows it.

I don't know what else to say to satisfy you, as I can only speak to my experience watching Ingram and this team every week. Most people in this thread have not seen him that much so I thought it would be good to share the perspective. Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative.
I'm talking about the Seattle game, where you said "You don't ride a workhorse when you're down 2 TDs to Seattle". Makes zero sense when they gave more carries to their non-workhorse.

You said he didn't run angry against Dallas, then when I gave you the video showing just how wrong you are (yet again), the excuse is that they sucked, which has nothing to do with how angry he ran. You come up with a different lame excuse for each case because it doesn't fit your narrative.

You may have watched him more than some in this thread, but that clearly doesn't mean anything- you've been wrong on just about everything you've posted about him and his usage.

Panic?

I'd call it a realistic forecast his value decreases going forward; not exactly the bank run of 1907. I don't think anybody is dropping him for Anthony Dixon.

No doubt. People are fooling themselves if they think the work he put in these past two games did not mean a bigger role. Khiry will spell him but that's it.

And in case people are just looking at the stat sheet and not paying attention to the games he was in on a lot of obvious passing downs last night which is also kind of significant for his value.

In terms of longterm dynasty related outlook what the toughness and running ability he has shown these past two weeks can not be understated. If these two games were an audition for his upcoming free agency in hopes he got signed to be a full time feature back I think he just passed.
Yeah he failed hard pass blocking last night...... still i was wrong calling him a RB3 he's more a TD dependant RB2 but that has more to do with how bare the cupboard is in regards to RB1 and RB2.

Yeah he failed hard pass blocking last night...... still i was wrong calling him a RB3 he's more a TD dependant RB2 but that has more to do with how bare the cupboard is in regards to RB1 and RB2.
It's like we were watching different games

I'm talking about the Seattle game, where you said "You don't ride a workhorse when you're down 2 TDs to Seattle". Makes zero sense when they gave more carries to their non-workhorse.

You said he didn't run angry against Dallas, then when I gave you the video showing just how wrong you are (yet again), the excuse is that they sucked, which has nothing to do with how angry he ran. You come up with a different lame excuse for each case because it doesn't fit your narrative.

You may have watched him more than some in this thread, but that clearly doesn't mean anything- you've been wrong on just about everything you've posted about him and his usage.
Exactly. The guy that could catch the ball was in the game... you think Brees never checks into a run play?

I watched the Dallas game and pulled my foreskin over my head over how exciting it was at the time. But a year later putting it in perspective, those holes were a mile wide and the first guy to touch him put him down nearly every time. He really wasn't running the way he is now - making tacklers miss in the backfield, going to the second level, making quick decisions. That stuff seems really obvious comparing his recent runs to that video but maybe we're on different planets.

Panic?

I'd call it a realistic forecast his value decreases going forward; not exactly the bank run of 1907. I don't think anybody is dropping him for Anthony Dixon.
I just dropped him for David Wilson.

Can't access it now but i thought PFF gave him a negative grade pass blocking. Could be wrong though. Brees was sacked by the defender Ingram was responsible for at least once but maybe more than that.

I do recall a sack Ingram gave up against Carolina while pass blocking, but iirc, when they showed the replay they noted how it was odd that Ingram was in the backfield on Brees' left (in shotgun) and had to slide all the way across to block the DE coming from the right. Pretty sure he gave up a sack or a hurry but again it didn't look like it was the correct scheme.

Not 100% but that could've been from Sunday or Thursday.

Can't access it now but i thought PFF gave him a negative grade pass blocking. Could be wrong though. Brees was sacked by the defender Ingram was responsible for at least once but maybe more than that.
Yeah he was sacked by Jones after Ingram cut his legs out, but the defenders momentum continued him forward and he was able to get up and get to Brees. Not a perfect block, but Brees had enough time to get it out. Coverage was good on the play.

PFF has Ingram as responsible for 1 QB hit, no sacks or hurries, this week. Negative pass blocking grade this week, average pass blocking grade on the season.

Yeah he was sacked by Jones after Ingram cut his legs out, but the defenders momentum continued him forward and he was able to get up and get to Brees. Not a perfect block, but Brees had enough time to get it out. Coverage was good on the play.
Jones was cut down but simply made a great play.

Exactly. The guy that could catch the ball was in the game... you think Brees never checks into a run play?

I watched the Dallas game and pulled my foreskin over my head over how exciting it was at the time. But a year later putting it in perspective, those holes were a mile wide and the first guy to touch him put him down nearly every time. He really wasn't running the way he is now - making tacklers miss in the backfield, going to the second level, making quick decisions. That stuff seems really obvious comparing his recent runs to that video but maybe we're on different planets.
The guy who could catch the ball- you mean the guy who had zero career receptions going into that game? :lmao:

Just stop dude- it's okay, you tried to play the "I'm a fan who watches the games" card, and it failed miserably.

It's nice when you can be patient and believe in the talent of player. He was a hold...and now is finally paying big dividends. Always liked him and believed he had what it took. He just needed the opportunity and of course finally being healthy.

I do recall a sack Ingram gave up against Carolina while pass blocking, but iirc, when they showed the replay they noted how it was odd that Ingram was in the backfield on Brees' left (in shotgun) and had to slide all the way across to block the DE coming from the right. Pretty sure he gave up a sack or a hurry but again it didn't look like it was the correct scheme.

Not 100% but that could've been from Sunday or Thursday.
Jones was cut down but simply made a great play.
Yup.

At the time I called it a whiff by Ingram, and really, it basically was a whiff I think...but the play call and the way the play unfolded did not put Ingram in a great position to make the block (nor would it for any RB) and it was also a good play by the defender/worked out well for the defense.

I don't really think it means anything significant either way.

What Payton said after the game should come as absolutely no surprise. You bet he'll go back to the 3-headed RBBC. That's what he believes in. It's that simple.

Personally, I don't think Payton will ever change his RB philosophy, but even if he was open to it, the low YPC, getting dinged (shoulder), & some shaky pass blocking certainly didn't help Ingram's cause.

The question is did Ingram earn more touches within the framework of the RBBC? It's certainly possible, but far from a lock. I think there's a good chance he resumes his old role. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Panic?

I just dropped him for David Wilson.
:lol:

Chances are, the Saints will return to some form of timeshare -- mainly because those two guys are so talented and were also thriving in their part-time roles before they got hurt.
:lol: Ingram gets less than 15 carries in upcoming games, barring a complete blowout, Payton should be fired. Or suspended another season.

The guy who could catch the ball- you mean the guy who had zero career receptions going into that game? :lmao:

Just stop dude- it's okay, you tried to play the "I'm a fan who watches the games" card, and it failed miserably.
Yes, Khiry played on passing plays more than Mark last year, which was incredibly apparent to anyone watching. You can look it up. Or you can keep trolling and adding nothing to the thread.

Yes, Khiry played on passing plays more than Mark last year, which was incredibly apparent to anyone watching. You can look it up. Or you can keep trolling and adding nothing to the thread.

Payton should take bill parcells advice when he told him that the run game wins championships and when u have a proven workhorse you use him to fulfill that objective

I was extremely critical of Ingram his first few years, mostly due to him being a first rounder and not really running like it. This year he has been a beast, he runs hard, he hits the hole hard, rarely is he tackled by the first guy and he looks very quick. Just as a pure RB I don't see anyone running better than Ingram right now other than maybe Murray, but Murray is getting the touches every week so of course the numbers are much better.

It's gonna be interesting to see where Ingram goes next year, there are a few teams that could use a lead runner like Ingram.

I was extremely critical of Ingram his first few years, mostly due to him being a first rounder and not really running like it. This year he has been a beast, he runs hard, he hits the hole hard, rarely is he tackled by the first guy and he looks very quick. Just as a pure RB I don't see anyone running better than Ingram right now other than maybe Murray, but Murray is getting the touches every week so of course the numbers are much better.

It's gonna be interesting to see where Ingram goes next year, there are a few teams that could use a lead runner like Ingram.
If I were the Cowboys, I'd rather pay less for Ingram

Even if he goes back to 12-15 carries but gets all or most red zone and GL touches he will still have excellent value as a no brainer weekly rb2 or flex play. Maybe he won't put up 170 yards or multiple TDs but 60-80 yards and a td most weeks is very feasible. That's a terrific flex play.

So no reason to panic even if Payton goes back to the 3 headed monster.

Even if he goes back to 12-15 carries but gets all or most red zone and GL touches he will still have excellent value as a no brainer weekly rb2 or flex play. Maybe he won't put up 170 yards or multiple TDs but 60-80 yards and a td most weeks is very feasible. That's a terrific flex play.

So no reason to panic even if Payton goes back to the 3 headed monster.
Agreed. Even if his usage declines the key difference from the past is that he can make the most of his touches now. I also think they learned a lot after botching that Detroit game. The running game wasn't working well against a tough D but they abandoned it too quickly and blew the lead. The last two games they never abandoned it, even when the ypc was lower yesterday. That's a big change from Payton' tendencies.

bulger2holt said:
I'd be happy with 20 carries per game and all GL work.
I think every fantasy owner of every NFL RB would be happy with that.
I would think this would be the case for Ingram. That's not too much to ask for him.
If they run the ball 30 times a game, this is a possibilty. 5 carries khiry 5 carries PT 15-20 carries Ingram (depending on game script)
I think more like 5-7 Khiry, 3-5 PT, 15-18 tops Ingram. They tried to bellcow PT several years ago and he kept breaking down. I think that's why Payton likes to RBBC now. What we lose in weekly touches, you get in exchange fresher legs and health. I don't think these 20+ carry, 100 yard games will be the norm going forward for Ingram. Probably around 70 yards tops + decent shot at goal line carry. He's probably a low-end RB1/high-end RB2 ROS.

bulger2holt said:
I'd be happy with 20 carries per game and all GL work.
I think every fantasy owner of every NFL RB would be happy with that.
I would think this would be the case for Ingram. That's not too much to ask for him.
If they run the ball 30 times a game, this is a possibilty. 5 carries khiry 5 carries PT 15-20 carries Ingram (depending on game script)
I think more like 5-7 Khiry, 3-5 PT, 15-18 tops Ingram. They tried to bellcow PT several years ago and he kept breaking down. I think that's why Payton likes to RBBC now. What we lose in weekly touches, you get in exchange fresher legs and health. I don't think these 20+ carry, 100 yard games will be the norm going forward for Ingram. Probably around 70 yards tops + decent shot at goal line carry. He's probably a low-end RB1/high-end RB2 ROS.
Yeah I think it evens out. 15 car at 5 ypc is about the same as 20 for 4ypc or lower.

The Saints are averaging 31 RB touches per game, between their 4 RBs. Ingram had 45% of the RB touches in weeks 1-2, when they were all healthy.

Going forward, my guess is about 17 touches/game for Ingram in games that Ingram, Robinson, and Thomas all play.

Lol at all the people who think the Saints will rest their guys if they clinch the division in week 14 or 15. Even Sean Payton isn't dumb enough to rest his guys for 3 weeks and expect them to go into the playoffs and not be rusty, and no he won't even just play them half the time in week 15 and 16. 2 half games and a game off would still mean an early playoff exit.

The Saints are averaging 31 RB touches per game, between their 4 RBs. Ingram had 45% of the RB touches in weeks 1-2, when they were all healthy.

Going forward, my guess is about 17 touches/game for Ingram in games that Ingram, Robinson, and Thomas all play.
I am pretty sure they have been increasing the number of RB touches over the past couple weeks.

Lol at all the people who think the Saints will rest their guys if they clinch the division in week 14 or 15. Even Sean Payton isn't dumb enough to rest his guys for 3 weeks and expect them to go into the playoffs and not be rusty, and no he won't even just play them half the time in week 15 and 16. 2 half games and a game off would still mean an early playoff exit.
I don't think he will sit anyone but evening out the touch distribution isn't out of the question. They will want to go into the playoffs with everyone healthy and, if they intend to pound Ingram in January, they can have other teams focused on the committee while keeping Ingram fresh.

I don't think he will sit anyone but evening out the touch distribution isn't out of the question. They will want to go into the playoffs with everyone healthy and, if they intend to pound Ingram in January, they can have other teams focused on the committee while keeping Ingram fresh.
That's possible...but I really don't think NO will have no benefit to winning by week 15 or 16

That's possible...but I really don't think NO will have no benefit to winning by week 15 or 16
I agree with they might have no benefit to winning, but resting your players that much will be a disaster. Could they miss the last series of a game or maybe 2 in a blowout one way or the other? Maybe, but it is too hard to predict in week 15 that not winning won't help your season. Every team will be playing that week and the next 2 weeks and I find it hard to believe they will be more than 3 games back of getting a bye.

Users who are viewing this thread