What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Mark Ingram - RB - Saints

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett projects 240 touches for Mark Ingram, 150 for C.J. Spiller and 90 for Khiry Robinson this season.

The Saints have a long history of using their backs situationally. The difference this year should be an increased focus on the run game and defense as they try to reduce the amount of points needed to win. So there's plenty of room for Ingram to exceed this 15.0 per game touch projection, especially considering he got 19.6 per game last year. Triplett confirms that Robinson will be a strict backup.

Related: C.J. Spiller, Khiry Robinson

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 14 - 10:35 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett projects 240 touches for Mark Ingram, 150 for C.J. Spiller and 90 for Khiry Robinson this season.

The Saints have a long history of using their backs situationally. The difference this year should be an increased focus on the run game and defense as they try to reduce the amount of points needed to win. So there's plenty of room for Ingram to exceed this 15.0 per game touch projection, especially considering he got 19.6 per game last year. Triplett confirms that Robinson will be a strict backup.

Ingram had 15 more than that last year and missed 3 full games. I'll take the over.

Rotoworld:

Last year the Saints backfield had 491 total touches (361 rush, 130 rec). The year before 518 (347 rush, 171 rec). Just to add some context.

Ingram had 15 more than that last year and missed 3 full games. I'll take the over.
That was with Thomas and Robinson missing 11 combined games. Also, Ingram averages 3.5 games missed per year so missing 3 games last year was better than usual. Given that fact and the addition of Spiller (and subtraction of Thomas who only had 90 touches), I'll take the under on 240 touches.

:shrug: I guess I just see more than the 480 touches that were projected in total. I just don't see Brees chucking it 650-670 times this year.

matttyl said:
:shrug: I guess I just see more than the 480 touches that were projected in total. I just don't see Brees chucking it 650-670 times this year.
I agree. Love Brees, but the slow decline is coming. We are seeing it with Peyton too. I think the coaches see that, and the result is Ingram gets more carries, they bring in Spiller, just makes sense for this offense.

matttyl said:
There's always a 4th string guy that gets some touches. Plus, total number of plays is not a static number like some would have you believe. There are teams that see a dip in passes AND rushes from the year before. It happens. I'm not saying it'll happen to the Saints, but don't expect them to throw the ball 600 times instead of 658 and magically run the ball 58 more times. That's not the way it works. With the departure of Graham and Stills, it's very likely the RBs see more carries and targets. I just feel that Spiller is the likely beneficiary of that due to his versatility and explosiveness. Pierre Thomas had 224 touches in 2013 with Sproles (124 touches) on the roster and this guy things Spiller is going to only have 150 touches with Thomas, Sproles, and Cadet gone? Fuzzy math.

FWIW, I like Ingram. I just like his fantasy outlook a lot less now that Spiller is on the team. I thought he was finally going to get some third down snaps this year. He's not bad in that phase of the game. I really wanted to see him on another team to be honest, but things looked ok in New Orleans before Spiller was signed.

FF Ninja said:
matttyl said:
There's always a 4th string guy that gets some touches. Plus, total number of plays is not a static number like some would have you believe. There are teams that see a dip in passes AND rushes from the year before. It happens. I'm not saying it'll happen to the Saints, but don't expect them to throw the ball 600 times instead of 658 and magically run the ball 58 more times. That's not the way it works. With the departure of Graham and Stills, it's very likely the RBs see more carries and targets. I just feel that Spiller is the likely beneficiary of that due to his versatility and explosiveness. Pierre Thomas had 224 touches in 2013 with Sproles (124 touches) on the roster and this guy things Spiller is going to only have 150 touches with Thomas, Sproles, and Cadet gone? Fuzzy math.

FWIW, I like Ingram. I just like his fantasy outlook a lot less now that Spiller is on the team. I thought he was finally going to get some third down snaps this year. He's not bad in that phase of the game. I really wanted to see him on another team to be honest, but things looked ok in New Orleans before Spiller was signed.
Are you seeing the Saints trying to resurrect the Sproles role with Spiller?

I get what you are really asking but to answer what you wrote: I'd be a lot happier if the Saints coaches were looking at resurrecting the Spiller in their offense in 2015.

Will he be the pass catching back?

Hopefully it will be a littel harder to figure out than that (from an NFL standpoint obviously).

FF Ninja said:
matttyl said:

Sort of. Spiller has hit 200 carries in back-to-back seasons. Sproles never cracked 100. Payton doesn't pigeon hole players into roles. He creates roles based on skill set. I think Spiller could see more of a 2013 Pierre Thomas type role, though, if we're trying to find a closest fit. If the Saints are behind in the 4th, Spiller could become the 3 down back. I don't see why they would hesitate to hand off to him if there are 6 DBs on the field obviously playing the pass. Spiller can eat up 20 yards in a hurry if the situation is right with a chance to take it all the way. He's not an ideal inside runner, that's what Ingram is there for, but like Pierre Thomas, he can be called upon to do it.

FF Ninja said:
matttyl said:

Pretty much.

Rotoworld:

Mark Ingram has been sidelined at OTAs with a foot/ankle issue.

Coach Sean Payton stresses that it's nothing "significant," and the team is just being cautious. Ingram was going "full speed" at OTAs prior to last Thursday, when the Saints decided to back off him and let him rest. It doesn't sound like anything serious, but it bears keeping an eye on until Ingram returns to the field.

Jun 5 - 11:15 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett expects Mark Ingram and C.J. Spiller to end up "very close" in 2015 yards from scrimmage.

Another Saints reporter previously suggested Spiller could even end up with more touches than Ingram. Triplett is confident Ingram will lead the Saints in touches -- primarily because he'll get so many more carries -- but it's clear New Orleans is planning on a split backfield. Ingram is still a good bet for 14-plus carries per game, and he'll gobble up all available goal-line work.

Jun 21 - 4:09

Love the way Ingram ran last year. Another year getting the carries and TDs in this offense (he's now the best RZ option), and should eclipse 964/9/29/145 from last year. Still gets dinged for some reason (probably early career suckage) and inspires one of the 'chippiest' discussion outside of the Michael thread. Too many people were burned by him to keep it objective. I never drafted him over AJG or Julio, so don't have that issue. Remember, he plays the Falcons and Bucs 4x.

Low end RB1 at RB2 value. If he catches 40+ passes, likely top 5ish RB. A much safer pick than e.g. Randle, Abdullah (as much as I loved that run), LMurray, Ellington (who should fall). Basically everyone in his neighborhood.

Every time I read about him I kick myself for taking spiller once so far. At least I have Ingram on one team with a shot at two more. I'm really coming to believe Brees' quotes about Ingram are not a smoke screen. How much work has Spiler even gotten?

Every time I read about him I kick myself for taking spiller once so far. At least I have Ingram on one team with a shot at two more. I'm really coming to believe Brees' quotes about Ingram are not a smoke screen. How much work has Spiler even gotten?
Not much and I dont think he gets any until the season starts. Payton said he will be ready week 1. He is pretty tight lipped about injuries. Simialr to Belichick

People seem to forget that this guy was a top 10 RB last year from a PPG standpoint. He's silently a top 10 guy this year with top 5 potential, yet you can draft him as a RB2.

I'm trying to move him and the most I've been offered is two 2nds. Ugh might have to take it.

In his last 6 games, only 1 game over 60 yards rushing. If Spiller takes 3rd down duties I'm not convinced his usage will be high enough to support his ADP.

Mike Triplett@MikeTriplett
#Saints Mark Ingram continues to be featured as pass catcher once or twice per day, especially with Spiller sidelined. Nice gain from Brees

8:12 AM - 20 Aug 2015
First two plays on offense tonight:

[SIZE=10.5pt]1st and 10 at NO 30 (13:09) D.Brees pass short middle to M.Ingram to NO 41 for 11 yards (J.Morris). Pass 3, YAC 8 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1st and 10 at NO 41 (12:31) (Shotgun) D.Brees pass short right to M.Ingram pushed ob at NE 30 for 29 yards (D.Harmon; J.Collins). Pass 10, YAC 19[/SIZE]

Meh spiller gets all of those when he comes back.....
They didn't pay Spiller all that money to sit on the sideline.
Seriously though, this doesn't really add up. Do you think Spiller is going to be the starting RB? These were the 1st two offensive plays of the game remember (both 1st downs).

I'm not saying that Spiller isn't going to be the main guy in the passing game, but there is still room for Ingram to catch a decent amount of passes, which has been talked about this pre-season.

BigSteelThrill said:
Milkman said:
Not according to Brees.

I'm not really wondering who I should listen to. Looks a lot like some typical owner/pimp-hype.
If you listen to anything other than the absolute, 100% occurrence of pure RB committee goodness, every season of Sean Payton's coaching career, as well as every season of every descendant of his in the coaching tree, you're nuts. :shrug:

It's like 20 years of RBBC's, none of stud feature backs.

BigSteelThrill said:
Milkman said:
Not according to Brees.

I'm not really wondering who I should listen to. Looks a lot like some typical owner/pimp-hype.
If you listen to anything other than the absolute, 100% occurrence of pure RB committee goodness, every season of Sean Payton's coaching career, as well as every season of every descendant of his in the coaching tree, you're nuts. :shrug: It's like 20 years of RBBC's, none of stud feature backs.
Completely agree.Not sure why anyone would think Payton suddenly wants to feature one back, and even if he did Ingram has mustered 255, 85, 162, and 133 TOTAL TOUCHES his first four years so I have my doubts he is up to the workload. Sounds like a lot of people trying to talk themselves into believing Ingram has suddenly changed into a three down back. For those that think he has.... how many touches do you thunk his career suddenly spikes up to?

Keep in mind that P.Thomas continues to float out there in FA having turned down only a vet minimum offer. As the preseason grinds forward the likelyhood he returns to the offensive system he already knows increases and he has the trust of Payton/Brees already. Even if you think Spiller may be a complete bust(which seems way too early to tell) you have to admit Thomas could slide right back into his old role. Thomas played great last year and it's baffling to me a team won't give him more than the minimum but NO could be the big winner.

BigSteelThrill said:
Milkman said:
Not according to Brees.

If you listen to anything other than the absolute, 100% occurrence of pure RB committee goodness, every season of Sean Payton's coaching career, as well as every season of every descendant of his in the coaching tree, you're nuts. :shrug: It's like 20 years of RBBC's, none of stud feature backs.
Completely agree.Not sure why anyone would think Payton suddenly wants to feature one back, and even if he did Ingram has mustered 255, 85, 162, and 133 TOTAL TOUCHES his first four years so I have my doubts he is up to the workload. Sounds like a lot of people trying to talk themselves into believing Ingram has suddenly changed into a three down back. For those that think he has.... how many touches do you thunk his career suddenly spikes up to?

Keep in mind that P.Thomas continues to float out there in FA having turned down only a vet minimum offer. As the preseason grinds forward the likelyhood he returns to the offensive system he already knows increases and he has the trust of Payton/Brees already. Even if you think Spiller may be a complete bust(which seems way too early to tell) you have to admit Thomas could slide right back into his old role. Thomas played great last year and it's baffling to me a team won't give him more than the minimum but NO could be the big winner.
more out of necessity than anything else id imagine....look at the player personnel....the wr`s arent what they used to be and you can see they want to pound the ball more this season....spiller will be a factor but i think he comes in to spell Ingram more than anything ...he seems to get dinged up a lot ...cant imagine they would use him for more than 10 -12 touches a game if that

Users who are viewing this thread