What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redraft Tiers and Rankings (1 Viewer)

I am having a little bit of a tough time seeing how AJ Hawk (and others in similar positions to him) is a match-up LB, but Clay Matthews and Brian Orakpo are LB3+ players. Perhaps Hawk deserves to be in the match-up group, but I don't see how Orakpo or Matthews are going to consistently generate enough points to be considered LB3+ unless they are in leagues that heavily weight sacks, and even then they are boom/bust players most of the time.

'Caveman_Nick said:
I am having a little bit of a tough time seeing how AJ Hawk (and others in similar positions to him) is a match-up LB, but Clay Matthews and Brian Orakpo are LB3+ players. Perhaps Hawk deserves to be in the match-up group, but I don't see how Orakpo or Matthews are going to consistently generate enough points to be considered LB3+ unless they are in leagues that heavily weight sacks, and even then they are boom/bust players most of the time.
The LB3+ players are guys I'd have some comfort level starting every week. If you're using Orakpo or Matthews in a balanced league, they should probably be in your lineup every week. Too hard to project when either will explode for 6 solos and multiple sacks. And I'd roster them only if you're comfortable with the boom-bust nature you note -- getting LB1 numbers some weeks and below replacement level numbers in others. I think Orakpo and Matthews are 9-10 good game, 6-7 poor game players -- my cutoff for an every week LB3.The base defensive ILB (Hawk, etc) are a different breed. You roster them as your LB4/LB5 and plan to use them only when the matchup suggests a 70% base defense split or better. Though it may not always play out that way, your chances of guessing right are much higher in this group than the 3-4 OLB pass rushing matchup.

My roster bias is generally to ignore these matchup LB4 altogether unless I'm in a bye week bind during the season. Then, there's usually a Mario Haggan or Akin Ayodele or the like to be found on most waiver wires. I'd much rather stash a player with every-down upside (Bishop, Washington, Hawthorne etc last year) if the depth chart cracks than worry over an Andra Davis, AJ Hawk, Takeo Spikes, Dan Connor, etal.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Caveman_Nick said:
The LB3+ players are guys I'd have some comfort level starting every week. If you're using Orakpo or Matthews in a balanced league, they should probably be in your lineup every week. Too hard to project when either will explode for 6 solos and multiple sacks. And I'd roster them only if you're comfortable with the boom-bust nature you note -- getting LB1 numbers some weeks and below replacement level numbers in others. I think Orakpo and Matthews are 9-10 good game, 6-7 poor game players -- my cutoff for an every week LB3.The base defensive ILB (Hawk, etc) are a different breed. You roster them as your LB4/LB5 and plan to use them only when the matchup suggests a 70% base defense split or better. Though it may not always play out that way, your chances of guessing right are much higher in this group than the 3-4 OLB pass rushing matchup.

My roster bias is generally to ignore these matchup LB4 altogether unless I'm in a bye week bind during the season. Then, there's usually a Mario Haggan or Akin Ayodele or the like to be found on most waiver wires. I'd much rather stash a player with every-down upside (Bishop, Washington, Hawthorne etc last year) if the depth chart cracks than worry over an Andra Davis, AJ Hawk, Takeo Spikes, Dan Connor, etal.
I see...we are talking about a philosophy difference. If I have players that I am using and have to guess whether or not they are going to produce, I'd prefer to guess with Hawk than Matthews. At the end of the year Hawk is probably going to outscore Matthews, so if I am occasionally wrong on the guess, on the average I will be better off.I used these players as my example because I am rostering all three in my LB corps on one of my dynasty teams (LB is not the team's strength, just a place where I don't want to fall behind). I am running Ryans every week and more likely than not Hawk, unless I really like the match-up for Scott or Rivers. The third spot is getting tossed up between Orakpo, Matthews, Rivers and Scott. If I feel like my team is in a good position to out point the other team everywhere else then I will usually pick the safer LB option. If it looks like I need a big week from my LBs to win, I start Orakpo or Matthews...or both.

I guess I just tier differently. I look for overall production and consistency, and until they start proving me wrong players like Orakpo and Matthews are both beneath Hawk (and a few others on your list)

'Jene Bramel said:
Jene, can you fill me in on what you expect out of Cushing? He's definitely playing inside with Ryans in their new 3-4 defense, right? Do you think he will be rushing some on third downs, and do you believe he's going to be an every down player? If so, in this new defense, what kind of numbers can he put up? Off the top of my head, we don't usually have two monster IDP 3-4 inside LB's side by side. Can Ryans and Cushing both tear it up?
He'll definitely be an every-down player and he'll see plenty of blitz opportunities on passing downs. They're very likely to come as an ILB, since Phillips will likely use a four man front on passing downs.I think, as the SILB, he's got 85+ solo, 5-6 sack upside. I'm still not convinced that he sheds blocks well enough to hit that tackle plateau, but he'll have LB2+ upside if he does. He's probably going to stay in the 18-30 range for me until he shows he can play inside consistently.You won't usually see two strong 3-4 ILB tacklers on the same team because it's rare to find a player who's got enough size to take on interior lineman at the point of attack but quick and agile enough to cover on passing downs. Takeo Spikes had a brief run alongside Patrick Willis last year, Bart Scott had a great season next to Ray Lewis years ago, the Jamie Sharper/Kailee Wong/Jay Foreman group in Houston were dual 90+ solo talents many seasons ago. To find those potentials in a SILB, you're looking for opportunity -- a defense with high tackle opportunity, a player who'll stay on the field all three downs, lack of a strong tackling secondary player -- and the talent (strength and range) to take advantage.Cushing is as good a bet as any in recent years. He could have a season similar to Bradie James two seasons ago under Phillips.
Thanks Jene, good stuff :thumbup:

Hey Jene, when you have time, can you give me a "Cushing" type analysis for David Hawthorne as well?

He struggled early in the season last year and then tore it up down the stretch. Tatupu is so so, and I've never figured out Curry's role in that defense.

Hey Jene, when you have time, can you give me a "Cushing" type analysis for David Hawthorne as well? He struggled early in the season last year and then tore it up down the stretch. Tatupu is so so, and I've never figured out Curry's role in that defense.
Tatupu is a better on the field, in the huddle player than a box score player. If he's healthy, he's the MLB and will play every down. Curry is a base defensive SLB and had all kinds of different roles in subpackages last year, from rush DE to OLB to rush NT. His role probably doesn't change next year either.Hawthorne's upside depends on two things. First, if/when Tatupu is dinged, his range and pursuit skills will allow him to beat Tatupu to the ball often. Second, Kim Herring (who replaced Hawthorne on nickel snaps last year) is a FA and may not return. If Hawthorne wins the nickel job and the Seahawks use more of it than 2010 (when they didn't use it all that much), he's an easy LB2.

Jene where are you placing quan sturdivant from ARI? I see you have Lenon on the rankings. Does he lost time to Quan or only in 2012?

Jene where are you placing quan sturdivant from ARI? I see you have Lenon on the rankings. Does he lost time to Quan or only in 2012?
I like Sturdivant, but I can't see the sixth round pick bumping Lenon from any packages (barring injury) without a playbook, OTAs and lots of camp practices. He's definitely worth watching, but I think there are long odds against him playing much this year.

What's the outlook on Dumervil?

If he gets moved back to DE, what side will he play and will he play base downs?

What's the outlook on Dumervil?If he gets moved back to DE, what side will he play and will he play base downs?
I think he's likely to slot somewhere between Dwight Freeney and John Abraham as a matchup DL2/DL3. I'd expect 70% or more of the team's snaps at RDE, marginal tackle numbers and a strong chance at double digit sacks. His 2007 stats (34 solos and 12 sacks) are probably in reach and I definitely think he'll do better than 2008, when a thumb problem (I think) held him back to 17 solos and 5 sacks.

What's the outlook on Dumervil?If he gets moved back to DE, what side will he play and will he play base downs?
I think he's likely to slot somewhere between Dwight Freeney and John Abraham as a matchup DL2/DL3. I'd expect 70% or more of the team's snaps at RDE, marginal tackle numbers and a strong chance at double digit sacks. His 2007 stats (34 solos and 12 sacks) are probably in reach and I definitely think he'll do better than 2008, when a thumb problem (I think) held him back to 17 solos and 5 sacks.
Thanks Jene!...Ayers at LDE?

Ayers is a little tougher to project. I thought he was a 4-3 LDE before he was drafted and he showed flashes of strong play last year against the run. I think he gets the majority of the snaps at LDE and could be a 40-8 type player. Fox hasn't rotated his ends much, so if Ayers looks like he can hold up as an every-down player, he has lots of upside. Don't think he's a Charles Johnson v2010 in the making, but there might be Will Smith upside if things break well.

The LB3+ players are guys I'd have some comfort level starting every week. If you're using Orakpo or Matthews in a balanced league, they should probably be in your lineup every week. Too hard to project when either will explode for 6 solos and multiple sacks. And I'd roster them only if you're comfortable with the boom-bust nature you note -- getting LB1 numbers some weeks and below replacement level numbers in others. I think Orakpo and Matthews are 9-10 good game, 6-7 poor game players -- my cutoff for an every week LB3.

The base defensive ILB (Hawk, etc) are a different breed. You roster them as your LB4/LB5 and plan to use them only when the matchup suggests a 70% base defense split or better. Though it may not always play out that way, your chances of guessing right are much higher in this group than the 3-4 OLB pass rushing matchup.

How can you tell what how often the defense is going to be in base formation? Is it guesswork based on the opponent. Like say a team goes up against the colts, then they are probably only going to be in base formation less than 50% of the time?

The LB3+ players are guys I'd have some comfort level starting every week. If you're using Orakpo or Matthews in a balanced league, they should probably be in your lineup every week. Too hard to project when either will explode for 6 solos and multiple sacks. And I'd roster them only if you're comfortable with the boom-bust nature you note -- getting LB1 numbers some weeks and below replacement level numbers in others. I think Orakpo and Matthews are 9-10 good game, 6-7 poor game players -- my cutoff for an every week LB3.

The base defensive ILB (Hawk, etc) are a different breed. You roster them as your LB4/LB5 and plan to use them only when the matchup suggests a 70% base defense split or better. Though it may not always play out that way, your chances of guessing right are much higher in this group than the 3-4 OLB pass rushing matchup.

How can you tell what how often the defense is going to be in base formation? Is it guesswork based on the opponent. Like say a team goes up against the colts, then they are probably only going to be in base formation less than 50% of the time?
On average, a defense will probably be in some sort of subpackage between 40 and 50 percent of their snaps. I'll usually consider the following when deciding how many snaps a platoon player (nickel corner, base defensive linebacker, situational rusher, etc) might get in a given week:* How likely the defense is to be ahead (more nickel snaps) or behind (less nickel snaps) and how early that might happen

* The offensive personnel, i.e. does a team have a viable slot WR, do they prefer power running set vs spread base offense, how long they'll stick with the run if they fall behind in the first half, etc

* How a defense commonly defends any variation of a base pro set offense, i.e. will they stay in base against a split TE or slot WR on early downs

The Colts are a great example. They have a base offense that frequently uses a variation of three WRs (sometimes with a TE split off the line), rarely uses a two TE look and may never use a FB. In that case, the assumption is that the defense may be heavily skewed toward subpackage snaps (maybe even 80-20) if the game stays close, with a potential caveat in how they choose to defend Dallas Clark. Some teams will stay base on early downs and play the run/pass straight. Others will use a nickel package the majority of the time.

It's not an exact science, but film study (to glean formations and personnel and philosophy) and looking at recent statistical trends usually yields a good educated guess.

For example, a team like the Panthers in recent years had no slot WR or receiving TE threat and would stay with the run deep into games despite falling behind. The Giants often ran the ball 35 times a week any may not use a slot receiver unless behind. You could reasonably expect a base defensive only ILB to get enough snaps to put up 6+ solos against those teams. Conversely, you needed to be careful starting those players (while strongly considering a nickel corner) against a spread offense like New England or New Orleans.

Jene, thoughts on London Fletcher? We all know that he's old and his time is coming, but isn't there a decent chance that he puts up last years numbers one more time, maybe even get back into the 90+ solo range? I'm not worried about him retiring after the 2011 season. I need him to produce one more time.

I figure that with limited practice and training camps, old veterans will have an advantage heading into the season. Washington (I could be wrong) will probably struggle again this year and he should see plenty of tackle opportunities.

Keeping in mind I'm only interested in this year, is it possible that he could really light it up one last time? Do you see his role reducing any at all?

Poz and Levy are definitely too high for me.

Ruud's new home will be a major factor, so he is a risky 2.

Chaney put up huge numbers, but it was such a small sample size. I'd rather grab a proven veteran than take him as a 3.

Maualuga and B Spikes are solid value.

Poz and Levy are definitely too high for me.Ruud's new home will be a major factor, so he is a risky 2.Chaney put up huge numbers, but it was such a small sample size. I'd rather grab a proven veteran than take him as a 3.Maualuga and B Spikes are solid value.
Levy, maybe. Poz? He's a madman.

Jene, thoughts on London Fletcher? We all know that he's old and his time is coming, but isn't there a decent chance that he puts up last years numbers one more time, maybe even get back into the 90+ solo range? I'm not worried about him retiring after the 2011 season. I need him to produce one more time.
I think Fletcher showed the first signs of a decline in play last year and it didn't help that Landry was so effective in the box. But, barring a surprise change in role, I think he's definitely in that 85-92+ solo range category in 2011. More risk than last year, but worth it in the LB15-25 range.

Jene,

I was looking at Norton's new Safety rankings, and I was wondering why he didn't include Micheal Griffin in the rankings...is there anything there we need to know about Griffin? or it could've been an oversight?

Thanks!

Ayers is a little tougher to project. I thought he was a 4-3 LDE before he was drafted and he showed flashes of strong play last year against the run. I think he gets the majority of the snaps at LDE and could be a 40-8 type player. Fox hasn't rotated his ends much, so if Ayers looks like he can hold up as an every-down player, he has lots of upside. Don't think he's a Charles Johnson v2010 in the making, but there might be Will Smith upside if things break well.
Jene I didn't see Michael Johnson listed but didn't read every post. Where would you put him at this point?

Jene I didn't see Michael Johnson listed but didn't read every post. Where would you put him at this point?
No clarity on Johnson for me, other than that I expect him to be a situational player. Whether that's as a roving DL in subpackages or as a part-time SLB with nickel rushing duty is hard to say. That affects where he's listed on management sites and what his tackle upside will be.I wouldn't roster him as more than a developmental DL4 in deep dynasty leagues today.

Everyone has Atogwe ranked a lot higher than Jene. I hope he's top 12 but doubt it, but have him higher than 34.

Jene are you planning to update these now that most FA moves are done?

The tiers are so much more useful than the default rankings list

Thanks

A good method might be to note the tier breaks in the default rankings list with one of the comments (like the kind Norton uses to explain why a player is higher or lower than most people have him).

Jene are you planning to update these now that most FA moves are done?The tiers are so much more useful than the default rankings listThanks
Yes, Bloom and I will again be doing our positional tier articles for the website this year. Tentatively planning on starting those this week, and begin rolling them out regularly after we get some information after the first preseason week of games.
A good method might be to note the tier breaks in the default rankings list with one of the comments (like the kind Norton uses to explain why a player is higher or lower than most people have him).
Did that a little with the defensive ends. I'll try to do better on that, or I may just start a new tier thread after the first week of preseason games.

Since there is talk of both Dunlap and Michael Johnson in here, I thought I would point out that the new Bengals depth chart shows Gaethers and Johnson as the starting DE's (not Dunlap). I have no idea how much or little to make of that, but it was at least a little surprising to me.

'cheese said:
Since there is talk of both Dunlap and Michael Johnson in here, I thought I would point out that the new Bengals depth chart shows Gaethers and Johnson as the starting DE's (not Dunlap). I have no idea how much or little to make of that, but it was at least a little surprising to me.
That is really surprising. I also heard that the Bengals might go 3-4 on some plays, so Johnson will become an OLB on those packages.Really kill Dunlaps value though

DB to follow
Do you need some help with this? My patience is wearing thin here. I checked your buddy IDPGuru (LLandry#1 as of yesterday's update), and I even found fantasy DBs ranked at trusted PFF. They all left much to be desired. Hustle up, doc. I have a major draft tomorrow. ;)

DB to follow
Do you need some help with this? My patience is wearing thin here. I checked your buddy IDPGuru (LLandry#1 as of yesterday's update), and I even found fantasy DBs ranked at trusted PFF. They all left much to be desired. Hustle up, doc. I have a major draft tomorrow. ;)
Trying to get back to this thread, really I am. Reviewing preseason games, setting up the survivor, working on the positional tier series with Bloom, doing some prep work for From the Gut and an IDP Perfect Draft feature all unfortunately getting in the way. Updated my rankings for the website late this week, though, and should have another update ready tomorrow or Monday after watching the rest of the weekend's games.

That is really surprising. I also heard that the Bengals might go 3-4 on some plays, so Johnson will become an OLB on those packages.Really kill Dunlaps value though
Need those coaches to come in here and explain what they're doing ;)

any reports from D Washington this past weekend? I assume he started, likely didnt play more than a quarter. Anyone have anything to report on him?

When were the LB tiers (post #1) last updated?
I don't think I ever formally updated the first post, so May 12.Rankings updated for the site this afternoon. Bloom and I have started our positional tier series. Those should begin rolling out soon and continue over the next couple of weeks.

Jene are you planning to update these now that most FA moves are done?The tiers are so much more useful than the default rankings listThanks
Yes, Bloom and I will again be doing our positional tier articles for the website this year. Tentatively planning on starting those this week, and begin rolling them out regularly after we get some information after the first preseason week of games.
Are these one the way soon - last year they started (being released) much earlier and were all done by 8/27Drafting gets hot and heavy for many of us very soon so they won't be nearly as useful after our drafts ;)

Are these one the way soon - last year they started (being released) much earlier and were all done by 8/27Drafting gets hot and heavy for many of us very soon so they won't be nearly as useful after our drafts ;)
In the process of writing them all this week. QB has already been submitted. DL should follow shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread