What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4(102) Jordan Cameron, TE, Cleveland (1 Viewer)

Is this Fendi Onobun redux though? Former BB player, project, non-premium draft pick, possible bright future if the guy can develop... and then a true starter gets drafted in the next year or two and makes the fantasy roster spot held open for an entire year for the project player a waste.

He could be Finley or Graham, or he could be dozens of 3rd - 5th round TEs like Chase Coffman, Travis Beckum, Shawn Nelson, James Casey, Cornelius Ingram from 2009, or Brad Cottam, Martin Rucker, Gary Barnidge from 2008, or (pick a year) who seem to have promise yet end up on the backup TE scrap heap. Lots more misses than hits in these rounds for TEs.

I'm not trying to be a big downer. There are the Grahams and Finleys and so forth, but it's really a dart throw at this point with a guy like Cameron and owners should not have high expectations. If you choose to own him and he pans out, be pleasantly surprised.
Has Fendi Onobun "busted" yet? He was drafted by the Rams as a developmental guy and thats what he's done. I think it's too early to label Onobun a waste.
I'd say the drafting of Kendricks hurts a lot. I wouldn't drop him in TE premium leagues just yet, but in every other league, he's a drop, with a potential re-add if he makes the 53 - I will say the McDaniels offense allows for a higher upside now that he seems open to using TEs like NE did last year. Onobun has the raw ability to be a better receiver than Kendricks even, but he's way behind in terms of football development.
Throw this guy in the mix and I'd say that TE scoring from STL will be wide spread and diluted at best.

There are too many question marks in CLE on how the ball is going to be spread around.

The only thing that I'm sure about is that the new offense should be more fitting for Colt's skill set. but...

How long is the holdout going to be and will Colt have to learn the new offense on the fly? Seneca Wallace already knows the offense and may start the first couple of weeks while he's learning.

Does Colt trust anybody other than Watson or Hillis when he needs a first down?

Are they going to move Evan Moore out to a WR? If not, he has to be ahead of Jordan on the depth Chart.

How many catches is Hillis going to get out of the backfield?

Are they going to try and get Carlton Mitchell more involved in the offense?

Even if they decide to keep Vickers at FB, I would have to think that they drafted Maricec for his receiving ability out of the backfield. They will try to get him the ball to see what he's got.

Robiskie and MoMass are coming off their sophomore years. Will one or both step up this year?

Hardesty will be healthy this year. Does he get thrown in the mix?

Little is a prototype WR for this type of offense with his RAC ability. Will he get some looks as well?

I really like Jordan's ability, but it's hard to draft what is currently the 3rd TE on the Browns when they are implementing a new offense, with a new coach, in a strike shortened year, with a young QB, in a tough division, with so many other options for the QB to spread the ball around on the roster.

I'm quite confident that somebody on offense will step up and get a major amount of catches for the Browns this year, but I just don't know who that is at this point.

There are too many question marks in CLE on how the ball is going to be spread around.The only thing that I'm sure about is that the new offense should be more fitting for Colt's skill set. but...How long is the holdout going to be and will Colt have to learn the new offense on the fly? Seneca Wallace already knows the offense and may start the first couple of weeks while he's learning.Does Colt trust anybody other than Watson or Hillis when he needs a first down?Are they going to move Evan Moore out to a WR? If not, he has to be ahead of Jordan on the depth Chart.How many catches is Hillis going to get out of the backfield?Are they going to try and get Carlton Mitchell more involved in the offense?Even if they decide to keep Vickers at FB, I would have to think that they drafted Maricec for his receiving ability out of the backfield. They will try to get him the ball to see what he's got.Robiskie and MoMass are coming off their sophomore years. Will one or both step up this year?Hardesty will be healthy this year. Does he get thrown in the mix?Little is a prototype WR for this type of offense with his RAC ability. Will he get some looks as well?I really like Jordan's ability, but it's hard to draft what is currently the 3rd TE on the Browns when they are implementing a new offense, with a new coach, in a strike shortened year, with a young QB, in a tough division, with so many other options for the QB to spread the ball around on the roster.I'm quite confident that somebody on offense will step up and get a major amount of catches for the Browns this year, but I just don't know who that is at this point.
This has been all or mostly Dynasty talk, chris. I don't think anyone here thinks he will be a fantasy factor this year unless it's late. Down the road he could be.Has his ADP gone up since the start of this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are too many question marks in CLE on how the ball is going to be spread around.The only thing that I'm sure about is that the new offense should be more fitting for Colt's skill set. but...How long is the holdout going to be and will Colt have to learn the new offense on the fly? Seneca Wallace already knows the offense and may start the first couple of weeks while he's learning.Does Colt trust anybody other than Watson or Hillis when he needs a first down?Are they going to move Evan Moore out to a WR? If not, he has to be ahead of Jordan on the depth Chart.How many catches is Hillis going to get out of the backfield?Are they going to try and get Carlton Mitchell more involved in the offense?Even if they decide to keep Vickers at FB, I would have to think that they drafted Maricec for his receiving ability out of the backfield. They will try to get him the ball to see what he's got.Robiskie and MoMass are coming off their sophomore years. Will one or both step up this year?Hardesty will be healthy this year. Does he get thrown in the mix?Little is a prototype WR for this type of offense with his RAC ability. Will he get some looks as well?I really like Jordan's ability, but it's hard to draft what is currently the 3rd TE on the Browns when they are implementing a new offense, with a new coach, in a strike shortened year, with a young QB, in a tough division, with so many other options for the QB to spread the ball around on the roster.I'm quite confident that somebody on offense will step up and get a major amount of catches for the Browns this year, but I just don't know who that is at this point.
This has been all or mostly Dynasty talk, chris. I don't think anyone here thinks he will be a fantasy factor this year unless it's late. Down the road he could be.Has his ADP gone up since the start of this thread?
OK, but even in dynasty, if Evan Moore stays at TE and Jordan doesn't get any looks at all, won't he be available for dynasty leagues next year? Virgil Green will probably be drafted lower, is less of a project, has a better chance of playing, and has less competition for the short range passes on third down. JMHO but I'm a Brown's fan and I would personally wait to pick Green over Jordan.

Boy Sig I dunno since you are talking about Cameron being THIS YEAR'S version of a TE sleeper. I think he's worth a long term flyer but the Browns will be breaking in Greg Little and they seem high on Carlton Mitchell and both Mo-Mass and Robie haven't yet established themselves so I think that the staff would tend to lean moreso on Ben Watson and Evan Moore.

Jordan only had a dozen receptions last year and that was his career high, he's very raw and making the trasition from hoops. It took Gates a good year or two before he blew up. Also Colt McCoy isn't Drew Brees and Ben Watson is healthy as is Moore so the comparison with Jimmy doesn't work on a number of levels IMHO.

I agree that he's got the raw skills to turn into something but I would caution that ANY rookie WR or TE will struggle this year if the lockout lingers and training camp is missed. Check the long-term history of rookie TEs. Todd Heap took a year before he found his footing. Heath Miller, Dallas Clark, heck it took Mercedes Lewis three or four years before he hit his stride and we still haven't had a full year yet of Jerimichael Finely so I would pull back expectations of Jordan Cameron for this year. I think next year would be a much better outlook and would give people a head's up later in the season so they could target him for next year.

I think anyone buying early might find him difficult to hold on the bench and that he would be a tough start so he may find the waiver wire late next year.
I hear you, Bracie, and I would have heartily agreed at the moment Cameron was drafted - in fact, there's absolutely no way he should be drafted or even stashed in a redraft league this year. Still, you have to at least be open to the possibility of Cameron coming on in Nov/Dec a la Graham because of Heckert explicitly saying that they think Cameron can help this year. Graham is also a good counter to the idea that Cameron can not possibly "arrive" this year. Graham was just as raw and inexperienced with just as little production as Cameron coming into last season. Great point, however, on the lockout really reducing the chances of Cameron reproducing Graham's late season breakout - still red zone receiving is a pretty instinctive part of the game, so Cameron might find his way on the field in high value fantasy situations without much seasoning.As far as young TEs taking a long time to make an impact, we had Gresham and Gronk making a decent to large-sized splash even though they were coming in off of long layoffs, and Hernandez also made an early impact. So recent data tends to show that we shouldn't automatically rule out a rookie TE putting up some #s. Not saying that I expect Cameron to by any stretch of the imagination, just addressing the larger points you brought up.

As far as Cameron getting dropped before he has a chance to make an impact - one factor that might make that less likely is the relative paucity of upside TEs to stash away right now. Guys like Nelson, Coffman, and Zach Miller JAX have stalled out in their development (for now) so there is probably a "TE of the future" spot open on some rosters.
I think that the lockout will have an adverse effect on the development of certain players.The FF community knows that RBs can make the quickest/earliest impact but WRs/TEs tend to take longer to make an impact.

You are known for the term "MY BALL MENTALITY" that mentally gives a perfect picture of a receiver who goes up with the focused intent or 'clarity' that the ball in the air is HIS BALL and he will fight-and-scratch-and-kick to get HIS BALL.

Jordan Cameron only had 12 receptions last year and that was his career high. A "MY BALL" mentality extends further than just the red-zone or from a core of athletic skills. A true "MY BALLER" can extend to a personality like a TO or an Ocho or Carolina Steve Smith, etc et el but someone like an Andre Johnson also has the "MY BALL" trait without the personality. The thing they share is undeniable production which does more than hint at "MY BALL" personality. I think the body of work on the field let alone in the red-zone is difficult to extrapolate at this time.

Gronk has Tom Brady and he was a rookie TE going into a proven offense competing with another rookie TE for PT. Jordan Cameron's situation isn't anything like that so again the comparison doesn't work IMHO.

I think you make an excellent point on the sheer numbers of rookie TEs coming into the league this year compared with last year but I would go back to the fact that rookie TEs tend to take longer to cultivate and I think that this year is unique and will adversely impact rookie WRs and TEs where a late-season bounce is less likely especially for a rookie with little production making a transition from hoops and who has an unsure offense/QB and who is competing with a proven veteran and I also think Evan Moore is effective.

Having said that the staff must have a good idea on how they plan on developing him and utilising his skills. I just feel that this year is unique and that rookie WRs and TEs will be much harder to get a good read on and that a raw guy like Cameron will not be prodcutive early and will be difficult to roster since I don't see him making an early or consistent impact.

I think anyone who nabs him will be in a pickle later in the year especially if they have been hit by injuries at other positions and have to make difficult roster decisions for a playoff run. I think THAT is the time to target a guy like Jordan Cameron because I think he would be a great late season waiver wire pick-up to judiciously acquire with the intention of developing him for the 2012 season.
I think now is the time to consider TE Jordan Cameron.I'll also toss out fourth round WR Travis Benjamin.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @ MaryKayCabot # browns hc Shurmur said he expects 4th round wr Travis Benjamin to challenge for a significant or starting role right away. Good news!

Just seeing some limited footage of the rookie mini camp you can see he's not just fast but his footwork is scintilating. Exceptionally quick feet with the ability to slide his feet in order to adjust to maximize his speed.

Back to Jordan, I think Cameron has a shot to significantly improve and play a big role this season.

I took him late in a dynasty start-up as a stash, 22nd round.

I wouldn't expect much yet this year ... TEs regularly require a couple of years to develop into fantasy weapons. They have a lot more to learn and it's a tougher job than WRs, and are often less prepared for the pro game than other positions.

Given that the Browns have repeatedly said their willingness to develop him, and he has a huge talent ceiling, he's definitely worth the stash in deeper formats (25+ rosters). But still, I'm not expecting him to contribute for another year or two.

I've been reading some comments about him lately, thinking I might make a move for him.

Would a 2013 3rd be a good price to get him for?

I've been reading some comments about him lately, thinking I might make a move for him.Would a 2013 3rd be a good price to get him for?
Yes, if you can get him for that. I picked him up off waivers last year but wouldn't accept anything less than a 2nd. I'm high on Weeden's ability and there's too much upside to just give him away.

Did Ben Watson pass away or suffer a stroke or something?We aren't discussing 2012 are we?
Pretty sure Watson's a free agent at season's end, actions speak louder than words but the staff wants to use more of Cameron and Moore, especially in the passing game. Ideally this is the 1-2 in 2013 so they need to find out if it is or not.

Did Ben Watson pass away or suffer a stroke or something?

We aren't discussing 2012 are we?
He's 31 which isn't too damning but consider he has a lengthy injury history with concussions. He ended last year on IR after suffering his third concussion.Their was some talk that he would consider, or should, consider retiring last year.

After the first concussion the chances to get concussed go up. Three in one year is big concern for any player but I think it would have to even more concerning for a 31 yr old TE. He says he's fine but I would imagine Cameron will get a shot at some time this year. Last year I didn't feel he had a reasonable chance for playing time but with a year under his belt and finally getting his shot at the end of last year showed that this season he should get his shot.

ROTO TE Ben Watson

Watson suffered three concussions in 2011. "I’m great," he insisted. "Three or four days after the last incident, I felt normal. I passed all my cognitive tests. I didn’t have any headaches." Watson recorded 37 catches for 410 yards and two scores. His role may diminish in 2012, as Evan Moore deserves more snaps.

Just got him in the 37th round of a dynasty startup as my 4th TE. Not expecting much from this year, but hope to be pleasantly suprised.

Gotta think his ceilinb is higher than any other TE we have, but he did not really get a chance last year.

He's 31 which isn't too damning but consider he has a lengthy injury history with concussions. He ended last year on IR after suffering his third concussion.Their was some talk that he would consider, or should, consider retiring last year.

After the first concussion the chances to get concussed go up. Three in one year is big concern for any player but I think it would have to even more concerning for a 31 yr old TE. He says he's fine but I would imagine Cameron will get a shot at some time this year. Last year I didn't feel he had a reasonable chance for playing time but with a year under his belt and finally getting his shot at the end of last year showed that this season he should get his shot.

ROTO TE Ben Watson

Watson suffered three concussions in 2011. "I’m great," he insisted. "Three or four days after the last incident, I felt normal. I passed all my cognitive tests. I didn’t have any headaches." Watson recorded 37 catches for 410 yards and two scores. His role may diminish in 2012, as Evan Moore deserves more snaps.
Watson is nothing special. The Pats drafted two TE's who immediately produced better than Watson did in his entire time in NE.

This doesn't meant a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's better than, "Well, he has to work on a few things..."

(KFFL) Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur said Monday, May 14, that he expects TE Jordan Cameron to take a big step forward this season. "The guy that looks way different is Jordan Cameron. Oh, gosh - the size - and he's had a great offseason. He's a guy that hadn't played much football, so I think he'll make a big improvement this year," Shurmur said.

(Rotoworld) Browns coach Pat Shurmur indicated that 2011 fourth-round TE Jordan Cameron is a candidate for a big leap in his second season.

(TheHuddle) Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur said Monday, May 14, that he expects TE Jordan Cameron to take a big step forward this season. "The guy that looks way different is Jordan Cameron. Oh, gosh - the size - and he's had a great offseason. He's a guy that hadn't played much football, so I think he'll make a big improvement this year," Shurmur said.

ROTO TE Ben Watson

Watson suffered three concussions in 2011. "I'm great," he insisted. "Three or four days after the last incident, I felt normal. I passed all my cognitive tests. I didn't have any headaches." Watson recorded 37 catches for 410 yards and two scores. His role may diminish in 2012, as Evan Moore deserves more snaps.
Watson is nothing special. The Pats drafted two TE's who immediately produced better than Watson did in his entire time in NE.
And then proceeded to post a career best 68/750 in 2010 after he changed teams.

ROTO TE Ben Watson

Watson suffered three concussions in 2011. "I'm great," he insisted. "Three or four days after the last incident, I felt normal. I passed all my cognitive tests. I didn't have any headaches." Watson recorded 37 catches for 410 yards and two scores. His role may diminish in 2012, as Evan Moore deserves more snaps.
Stuckey, Massaquoi, Robiskie - he was the only decent receiving option they had after Hillis.

ROTO TE Ben Watson

Stuckey, Massaquoi, Robiskie - he was the only decent receiving option they had after Hillis.
Right. I have no idea why anyone would think that Watson is a road block.

I have always liked Ben Watson ever since he came into the league.

He scored a 48 on his Wonderlic which transfers into an IQ of 158. Compare Einstein had a 161 IQ.

Ben also came in with an unbelievably low body fat percentage, I think it was 2 or 3% and he had a great forty time. I could never figure out why he never got a shot in New England.

New England had a lot of firepower but not when he first got there so I always felt he got short changed by Belichick for some reason.

When Mangini was the head coach in Cleveland I give him credit for noticing a gem like Watson and then getting him. The success he had with the Browns didn't shock me at all, I always expected big things from Watson.

He is the most rounded TE on the Browns roster. He can block and catch. The issue right now is concern over his health. I know he's got talent but I honestly do not want to see him have any long term health concerns over concussions especially now with so many coming forward. Also it seems a human being with his intelligence would have a big contribution after he eventually retires so I hope he has no ongoing issues with his health after he retires.

If he says that he is fit then he'll be the starter and I think he'll play well as long as he's healthy. fingers-crossed

I could never figure out why he never got a shot in New England.
Stone hands.
Yeah, I could have sworn he did get a shot but failed. Am I wrong here?
He was a first round draft choice and got injured his first year. Here's what he did in New England:2004

Games - 1

Starts - 1

REC - 2

Yds - 16

Games - 15

Starts - 9

REC - 29

Yds - 441

TDs - 4

Games - 13

Starts - 13

REC - 49

Yds - 643

TDs - 3

Games - 12

Starts - 8

REC - 36

Yds - 389

TDs - 6

Games - 14

Starts - 9

REC - 22

Yds - 209

TDs - 2

Games - 16

Starts - 7

REC - 29

Yds - 404

TDs - 5

It looks like he was forgotten and/or under utilized IMHO.

He went to Cleveland the next year and got a shot to be productive and he was.

2010 CLEVELAND

Games - 16

Starts - 16

REC - 68

Yds - 763

TDs - 3

Games - 13

Starts - 11

REC - 37

Yds - 410

TDs - 2

Last season he suffered three concussions and ended the season on IR so he was affected during last season.

When you look at his career in NE and compare to when he left and went to CLE it seems clear to me that he was productive once he got a shot.

He came in with great tools and it seems to me he didn't get as much of a shot in New England to showcase what he could really.

Least that is how I see it.

He was an unreliable TE in New England that was known for his drive killing drops. He came to Cleveland and stopped doing that.

He scored a 48 on his Wonderlic which transfers into an IQ of 158. Compare Einstein had a 161 IQ.

Ben also came in with an unbelievably low body fat percentage, I think it was 2 or 3% and he had a great forty time. I could never figure out why he never got a shot in New England.

New England had a lot of firepower but not when he first got there so I always felt he got short changed by Belichick for some reason.

When Mangini was the head coach in Cleveland I give him credit for noticing a gem like Watson and then getting him. The success he had with the Browns didn't shock me at all, I always expected big things from Watson.

He is the most rounded TE on the Browns roster. He can block and catch. The issue right now is concern over his health. I know he's got talent but I honestly do not want to see him have any long term health concerns over concussions especially now with so many coming forward. Also it seems a human being with his intelligence would have a big contribution after he eventually retires so I hope he has no ongoing issues with his health after he retires.

If he says that he is fit then he'll be the starter and I think he'll play well as long as he's healthy. fingers-crossed
No. Just no. I'm sure Watson is a real sharp guy, but IQ tests are not particularly accurate and Einstein actually demonstrated his intelligence by contributing to scientific knowledge. Comparing him to Einstein is beyond ######ed.

No. Just no. I'm sure Watson is a real sharp guy, but IQ tests are not particularly accurate and Einstein actually demonstrated his intelligence by contributing to scientific knowledge. Comparing him to Einstein is beyond ######ed.
Take it up with Wiki:WikiPedia

Also IQs have been controversial for ages so if you wanna get pissed then go right ahead but don't get pissed at the messenger. Vent at whoever you feel is responsible and its not me my friend.

No need to defend watsons iq just because he isn't here to defend himself. He's so smart he already knows what was said. He will probably club the naysayers to death with his giant stone hands when he's done curing cancer.

No need to defend watsons iq just because he isn't here to defend himself. He's so smart he already knows what was said. He will probably club the naysayers to death with his giant stone hands when he's done curing cancer.
Watson has a projected high IQ.Belichick didn't use him but I don't think it was because he was threatened that a player could actually be smarter than he is.Belichick is plenty smart. He is smart enough that he knows to hire smart guys for his staff and they are wise enough to seek out players with high intelligence.They don't feel the need to bash a kid because he tests out smarter than average. Heck we should hope and pray that people are smarter and better than us. I have no illusions to the point I would get pissed off that a young kid is really smart. Hats off to him.

Watson is a good TE, but he's not Jimmy Graham or Gronkowski. If Cameron has the talent, he'll play. Watson is not a road block. Also, they can both be on the field at the same time. The Browns needs receivers; Little will start, and then after that, it's pretty up for grabs. No reason why Cameron can't be a nice flex TE starting this season.

Watson is a good TE, but he's not Jimmy Graham or Gronkowski. If Cameron has the talent, he'll play. Watson is not a road block. Also, they can both be on the field at the same time. The Browns needs receivers; Little will start, and then after that, it's pretty up for grabs. No reason why Cameron can't be a nice flex TE starting this season.
What about Evan Moore?

What about Evan Moore?
Not a road block... He's a nice receiver when he can stay healthy. Unfortunately, he seems to be banged up a lot. I do think Watson and Moore are talented players, but the Browns haven't invested enough in either player to be a road block to a more talented TE. Watson has concussion issues, Moore is banged up a lot, neither is a stud. Not sure what else to say. I'm high on Cameron, so I think he'll make some damage this year.

Watson has a projected high IQ.Belichick didn't use him but I don't think it was because he was threatened that a player could actually be smarter than he is.Belichick is plenty smart. He is smart enough that he knows to hire smart guys for his staff and they are wise enough to seek out players with high intelligence.They don't feel the need to bash a kid because he tests out smarter than average. Heck we should hope and pray that people are smarter and better than us. I have no illusions to the point I would get pissed off that a young kid is really smart. Hats off to him.
FWIW I saw him on ESPN today, first time i've ever seen/heard him speak. He struck me immediately as a real sharp guy, obviously very intelligent.

ROTO TE Ben Watson

Terrible logic. The two TEs they drafted are historically special. Gronk and Hernandez showed things in their rookie season that Cameron didn't. Cameron has a Gates like road to travel, and a few inopportune drops like Watson had in NE would derail him fast. Great upside, but he's got to have so much fall perfectly.

Last year Cameron was a rookie with little college experience but he had raw physical skills as he switched from basketball to football. At the tail end of last year Cameron had six receptions for 33 yards last year as a rookie. Five of those catches came in the final three games of the season so he got a shot and he flashed.

He was noted by Shurmur in OTAs and their has been a buzz about this guy.

He continues to make an impression now that camp is here so I thought I'd pass along an update since he is starting to get some first team reps and I've seen some tape from practice and from the little bit I've been able to see, he really does look good.

My link

Tight end Jordan Cameron continues to show he’s among Browns’ most improved players

BEREA: Tight end Jordan Cameron slashed across the middle of the field, reached to his side and grabbed a pass from quarterback Colt McCoy.

Later in a goal-line drill, Cameron caught a play-action pass from McCoy over his shoulder in the back corner of the end zone.

Those plays were the highlights of Cameron’s performance on Monday and examples of why coach Pat Shurmur considers him one of the Browns’ most improved players. Cameron, who’s heading into his second NFL season, is confident the strides he has made will pay off.

“I’ve been making plays against the No. 1 defense,” Cameron said. “So making plays against anyone in the NFL, it gives you more confidence, and it’s all about confidence, especially for me, being that I’m new at the position. I think the confidence and knowing what you’re doing [will help] more than anything else. If you know what you’re doing, you can play faster, and that’s what I’m working on right now. But I do have the confidence that I can make plays out here and be a playmaker in this league.”

The Browns picked Cameron in the fourth round (102nd overall) of last year’s draft. He played basketball at the University of Southern California during the 2008-09 season and spent the 2008 and 2009 football seasons as a reserve wide receiver before switching to tight end and starting one game in 2010.

As a rookie, Cameron didn’t have the benefit of a normal offseason because of the NFL lockout. Last season, he appeared in eight games and started the final two when the Browns opened with double-tight end formations.

In other words, playing football — especially at tight end — is still relatively new to him.

“You have to practice it and play it to improve at it,” Shurmur said. “He was a guy that didn’t play a lot of football in college, but showed us the skill and ability to be a good receiver. Now when you line up at the end of the line of scrimmage, you have got to get used to controlling your body in blocking situations, you have to learn how to release when somebody’s basically tackling you, those types of things, getting a feel for playing the game. And I think once he gets that going, I think his development will go like this.”

Shurmur ended his statement by motioning toward the sky with his thumb. Cameron’s progression already appears to be heading in that direction. With tight end Evan Moore out with an undisclosed injury, Cameron worked with the first-team offense Monday in two-tight end sets.

“Whatever opportunities they’re giving me, I want to try to take advantage of them,” said Cameron, who had six catches for 33 yards last season. “Right now, I’m just doing what they’re telling me to do. Whatever comes my way, I’ll be more than happy. Everyone wants to make plays in this league and everyone wants the ball.”

Cameron said the reps he’s receiving are invaluable because he’s still raw.

“Technique was something I didn’t have when I came into the NFL last year, and I’ve been slowly chipping away at that with [tight ends] coach [steve] Hagen and the other offensive guys,” Cameron said. “It’s been helpful to get the technique down because you can be a big athlete, but that doesn’t mean you’re a good football player at all.”

The 6-foot-5 Cameron also credits his workouts at the Elite Performance Factory in Westlake Village, Calif., for helping him prepare for training camp. Former NFL tight end Billy Miller, who played for the Browns in 2005, served as his trainer.

Cameron said his weight now fluctuates between 250-252 pounds. Last year, he played at 248 or 249.

I bulked up a little bit in the offseason, got some more muscle on me,” Cameron said. “I’m a little more explosive and more powerful, and it kind of shows out there in the playmaking.”

The Browns hope it continues. Benjamin Watson is their starting tight end, but they hope Cameron can follow in the footsteps of Kent State product Antonio Gates and other collegiate basketball players who evolved into pass-catching machines in the NFL.

“Same background,” Cameron said. “It shows [some players] can have limited experience and be able to excel at the next level.”

I think the Browns will spend so much of their time this season finding their way and trying to mesh in Richardson, Weeden, Gordon, and Little, that refining the TE position is not something that will see significant enough strides in 2012 to be FF impactful.

Even though Weeden is an older rookie, I would think that emphasis on the run game will limit the TE position as focussing on blocking and run blocking more than becoming something that looks dynamic in 2012.

I think the Browns will spend so much of their time this season findign their way and trying to mesh in Richardson, Weeden, Gordon, and Little, that refining the TE position is not something that will see significant enough strides in 2012 to be FF impactful.
I agree that with soo much on the plate offensively that taking on a project of developing a raw talent like Cameron isn't a priority but he really does look good and with the concussion history of last year's 31 yr old starter Ben Watson and right now with an injury to Evan Moore he's getting reps and he's impressing.I don't anticipate he will start at the begining of the year but he got a shot at the tail end of last year and flashed. I believe he will get much more opportunities and he really has looked good so I think he'll take advantage but by that time the cat would be out of the bag. I think he's a perfect flyer to take if you can right now before the buzz grows and his price goes up.

Last year Cameron was a rookie with little college experience but he had raw physical skills as he switched from basketball to football. At the tail end of last year Cameron had six receptions for 33 yards last year as a rookie. Five of those catches came in the final three games of the season so he got a shot and he flashed.
I like his athletic ability as much as the next guy, but when I read 6 catches for 33 yards (5.5 avg) it seems weird to describe that production as a flash. I didn't watch it though. Were there any big plays in there or were they just forcing it to him to see if he could make something happen?

I like his athletic ability as much as the next guy, but when I read 6 catches for 33 yards (5.5 avg) it seems weird to describe that production as a flash. I didn't watch it though. Were there any big plays in there or were they just forcing it to him to see if he could make something happen?
Judge that for yourself.
Of course there is a little bit of difference between Brady/Brees and the #### the Browns had at QB. Jesus, Seneca Wallace. What a waste of $ and a roster spot.

Interesting to watch the tape. I understand how horrible the guys were throwing to him, but nothing stood out as far as excellent hands, athleticism, running ability. A lot of caught and immediately tackled or couldn't come up with the hard catch.

Judge that for yourself.
Leave it to Cleveland to roster a short jewish carpenter to play QB...He could walk on water, but no chance of throwing the deep ball with those stubby arms and no receivers to speak of.

Judge that for yourself.
and we'll have to search pro football focus data to see the recovery or success rate of QB's returning after having spikes nailed in both hands

My money is still on Watson to lead the team at TE assuming he has no lingering signs, he is cheap cheap cheap. good bye week filler

Cameron looked great last night, really good.

He pulled away from one of Detroit's best cover LBers on his first catch and then outran him to the sidelines for extra yards and a first down and then showed deep speed on a long ball where he twisted and skyed and made a spectacular catch where he beat double coverage and split a seam.

Wow!

I'm genuinely impressed.

Word from camp is that he still needs to fine tune the technical aspects of playing the tight end position, he played basketball and only had one year playing football in college so he came in really raw, but he also wowed in camp.

First game and this guy shows he not only belongs but he will make some noise this year folks.

If you had been sleeping here is your official HEADS UP ON TE JORDAN CAMERON from Cleveland.

Alright, Cameron finally started showing signs of life. Haven't watched the game yet. How did he look?

Is he worth a preemptive add at this point?

Alright, Cameron finally started showing signs of life. Haven't watched the game yet. How did he look?Is he worth a preemptive add at this point?
Dynasty? Yes. He didn't play many snaps, but when he did he got open. Our coaching staff doesn't have a ####### clue, so old and slow Ben Watson still starts - for now. Can't see that lasting all season though, it will last longer than it should though.

I really think this guy is the best option on the Cleveland passing offense.

On the Cleveland thread it's said he's not ready; well he looks sure ready to catch passes to me.

Weeden seemed to trust him and the timing/chemistry was good last week. Weeden tried to lead him on a redzone target that would have taken a spectacular catch and it almost worked. No one else in the short passing game is earning trust and MoMass is out.

also there's this from Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Rep:

Second-year pro Jordan Cameron, on the other hand, is in the offense to stay after a breakout game against the Bills.

“He feels healthy right now,” Childress said. “It’s good to see a healthy Jordan Cameron out there.”
apparently Cameron wasn't involved much in the first two weeks because of a back injury suffered in August...

Users who are viewing this thread