What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housler Hype (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
I just made a quick mention in Bloom's Cameron TE thread. I've been waiting a little to start this until a few drafts were over.

I think Housler has a very good shot to end up being the best TE from this class and I think has the highest upside of all the TEs drafted this year. Here are some reasons why:

--He was the 3rd highest TE drafted behind Rudolph and Kendricks

--He was drafted in the early 3rd round. This is not insignificant

--He is almost strictly a pass-catching TE and he was drafted high on a team with a run-first mentality coach in Whisenhunt. To use a 3rd round pick on him, this catches my attention

--He comes from a VERY small school in Florida Atlantic. I think people often view this backwards. If you give me a player taken at the same spot and one comes from a big school like USC or Ohio State and one that comes from a very small school, gimme the player from the small school any day. For a guy that has limited exposure to be taken that high means there's got to be something that really stands out and that they really like.

--He was the fastest TE at the combine. The guy has run as low as a 4.43 and ran a 4.55 at the combine. He's 6'5 and 250 lbs. In this regard, he and Cameron have some fantastic measureables and was only beaten out by Cameron on a consistent basis and both were close to each other in almost every drill

--He has absolutely ZERO competition at the TE spot in Arizona. None. Stephen Spach (who?) is their #1 TE right now.

--Larry Fitzgerald would be his only major competitor for targets. No one else there should be a direct competitor if he performs well enough

--If Arizona goes and gets Kolb, Kolb has shown he can make a TE very relevant based on what he did for Celek during his time as the starter in Philly.

Housler video

This guy is going incredibly late in drafts as well. If you had your eye on Cameron and missed out, grab this guy. Or take both.

He's in a good situation in terms of opportunity. I honestly have never seen him play so it's hard to evaluate how NFL ready he is.

The Cards have bombed on so many TEs in the draft it's difficult to be optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:

Pick made me very excited as an Eagles fan because there's no reason for the Whiz to sign a 250 lb TE if he is going to start Bulger.

I think Housler is more likely to be relevant short term than Cameron. There's a fine line between a project TE and a guy with no value. Jared Cook was dropped in a lot of leagues.

I think you have to be willing to hold him a while. He only really has one year of experience as a starter in college.

This is what bothered me most about his ability (from NFLdraftscout):

Sat out the 2009 season at the team's request due to a logjam at tight end.
Basically, he was asked to sit out his senior year. If he wasn't good enough to nail down the starting TE spot as a senior at Florida Atlantic, it's tough for me to see him becoming dominant in the NFL.

seems to me that the OP is selling Andre Roberts & Stephan Williams short. They both could command targets IMO especially Roberts who worked his way from WR6 to the starting line-up at the end of the year. He looked good when he finally got action. Williams was a pre-season darling who faded, but he definitely has the talent.

As for Housler, I think it depends on who they get at QB. Kolb loves TE's so if they go that route he could be valuable.

Just like most rookie TE's, need to practice patience. I thought Ben Patrick was going to be decent. If you went back & looked at his combine #'s I'm sure they were decent at the least...however he just never panned out

As I said in the Cameron thread, really like his ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls and quick transition into tough run after catch mode. Im not sure that he can be a classic in-line TE, and I see more of a WR frame than a wide-body block-out red zone target. Opportunity will be there and he is definitely underrated in rookie drafts. Not quite as fluid as his measureables would lead you to believe. Would compare him roughly to Dante Rosario

I drafted him at the end of the 5th round, surrounded by players like Jurnigan, Denarius Moore, Cam Heyward............this is the definition of a no-brainer. Not saying he will capitalize on it, but has as clear a shot to a starting job as any non-QB in this draft.

Seen him play? Heck, I don't even know if he's white or black.

As I said in the Cameron thread, really like his ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls and quick transition into tough run after catch mode. Im not sure that he can be a classic in-line TE, and I see more of a WR frame than a wide-body block-out red zone target. Opportunity will be there and he is definitely underrated in rookie drafts. Not quite as fluid as his measureables would lead you to believe. Would compare him roughly to Dante Rosario
Took him in the 7th round in one draft just finished.

The fact that this guy could be the best TE in this draft tells me one thing.

The TEs in this draft suck.

There is no Gresham, no Hernandez, no Gronkowski.

The fact that this guy could be the best TE in this draft tells me one thing.The TEs in this draft suck.There is no Gresham, no Hernandez, no Gronkowski.
Kendricks could be good but yes is is pretty thin this year-LB's are too.

Hearing good things the last couple weeks such as the coaching staff "excited" about him this year thinking he can be a breakout player, that he has the speed to get down the seam, and ARI planning to use the TE more...

Hearing good things the last couple weeks such as the coaching staff "excited" about him this year thinking he can be a breakout player, that he has the speed to get down the seam, and ARI planning to use the TE more...
All true. But the problem is that Heap and King are still on the roster. King is more of a blocker, but he really came through last year and the coaches love him. Heap is supposedly healthy also, so Housler is going to have competition for PT.I do think he has potential and could see him being pretty good in the next couple years, but in a redraft, I don't think he's worth a roster spot this year.

I think you have to be willing to hold him a while. He only really has one year of experience as a starter in college.

This is what bothered me most about his ability (from NFLdraftscout):

Sat out the 2009 season at the team's request due to a logjam at tight end.
Basically, he was asked to sit out his senior year. If he wasn't good enough to nail down the starting TE spot as a senior at Florida Atlantic, it's tough for me to see him becoming dominant in the NFL.
Picked him in end 7 in a rookie draft last season just due to potential opportunity. I think later this year he can his shot so unless you can stash him he probably isn't a good redraft prospect unless he does a lot in TC.

He does have speed and decent hands. Deep sleeper.

All true. But the problem is that Heap and King are still on the roster. King is more of a blocker, but he really came through last year and the coaches love him. Heap is supposedly healthy also, so Housler is going to have competition for PT.I do think he has potential and could see him being pretty good in the next couple years, but in a redraft, I don't think he's worth a roster spot this year.
He could be a good late year waiver prospect. If Kolb is QB he likes going to TE's.

So much for Kolb. :wall:

Rob Housler

Published Thu Jul 19 9:31:25 p.m. ET 2012

(RotoWire) Housler "will be given every chance to become a breakout player" in training camp, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

Analysis: The Cards have high hopes for Housler as their tight end of the future, based on the hands he showed in college and his athleticism. He could end up as the starter and see significant targets by midseason, if not sooner. (Article Link)

lol. all time epic opinion fail.
Pretty sure everybody that posts a lot of opinions here has one of those sooner or later. Still hilarious to read.
This thread is just full of fail though. Multiple post fail.
Just a LITTLE early to be saying any of this. Sure, the Gronk vs Rudolph comment was ridiculous now, but what if Rudolph turns into another Jimmie Graham? He took 2-3 years to break out, correct?Jimmie Graham vs Gronkowski is quite a valid question. While I don't see Rudolph reaching that level, he IS just a 2nd year player... :mellow:

The NFL is a copycat league. Housler has the athleticism to be a difference maker down the seam ala Graham, Gronk, Finley etc. Miami is looking to get Charles Clay involved and there have been rumblings of the Bill's using the athletic Dorin Dickerson.

In fact Houslers numbers at the combine were similar to Calvin Johnsons and Julio Jones. 40 time a litte slower. Quicker in the 10 and 20 yard splits. Comparable in 3 cone and shuttle.

Coach reportedly loves Rob Housler

Published Mon Jul 30 8:13:00 a.m. ET 2012

(Rotoworld) Coach Ken Whisenhunt reportedly "loves" TE Rob Housler.

Analysis: Housler, a 2011 third-round pick, is a talented pass-catching tight end that goes 6'5/250. SI's Peter King wouldn't be surprised if he has the second-best receiving numbers on the Cardinals, behind only Larry Fitzgerald. We're not going that far, but there's some upside here. Housler is only behind an out-of-gas Todd Heap on the depth chart.(Article Link)

Analysis: Housler, a 2011 third-round pick, is a talented pass-catching tight end that goes 6'5/250. SI's Peter King wouldn't be surprised if he has the second-best receiving numbers on the Cardinals, behind only Larry Fitzgerald. We're not going that far, but there's some upside here. Housler is only behind an out-of-gas Todd Heap on the depth chart.(Article Link)
The coaches do like him. But he is one of three tight ends on a team that historically has never utilized the position.As I said earlier, he might be worth a flier in dynasty, but I don't think he's worth a roster spot in a redraft unless it is a very deep league.

The coaches do like him. But he is one of three tight ends on a team that historically has never utilized the position.As I said earlier, he might be worth a flier in dynasty, but I don't think he's worth a roster spot in a redraft unless it is a very deep league.
Wouldn't be a total shock if Heap is cut if Housler has a strong camp. Heap is in last year of contract but only makes 2.15 million, but they have to be tiring of his injuries.

Wouldn't be a total shock if Heap is cut if Housler has a strong camp. Heap is in last year of contract but only makes 2.15 million, but they have to be tiring of his injuries.
I agree that if Heap is cut it is a bit of a different story for Housler. I don't see that happening, but it could.

If Housler was on a team with a QB that knew how to use him he'd absolutely be an elite fantasy TE.

Pretty sure everybody that posts a lot of opinions here has one of those sooner or later. Still hilarious to read.
Just a LITTLE early to be saying any of this. Sure, the Gronk vs Rudolph comment was ridiculous now, but what if Rudolph turns into another Jimmie Graham? He took 2-3 years to break out, correct?Jimmie Graham vs Gronkowski is quite a valid question. While I don't see Rudolph reaching that level, he IS just a 2nd year player... :mellow:
It's Jimmy and he took one year to breakout. Considering his rookie year was only his second year of playing football and he was still a backup behind Shockey and he started coming on late in the season...it kind of took less.

Jimme Graham gas Drew Brees throwing to him. Rudolph has Christian Ponder. BIG difference.

Jimme Graham gas Drew Brees throwing to him. Rudolph has Christian Ponder. BIG difference.
Drew Brees wasn't always Drew Brees either. Ponder needs some time before we know what he is as well. Be nice to see them develop together over the next couple of seasons.

Per KFFL:

Arizona Cardinals TE Todd Heap (undisclosed) left practice early Monday, Aug. 20, after suffering an undisclosed injury.

Never know it might be significant.

do we get a glimpse of housler this week? either heap will be out or really gimpy...........kinda thinking maybe this is the time to get him cheap
I'm all over him if Heap is out.
Why? If the Cards can't make a known top 3 WR relevant, how can they make an unproven TE relevant for your team? Potential and Upside aren't the names of two QBs the Cards just signed. :)

do we get a glimpse of housler this week? either heap will be out or really gimpy...........kinda thinking maybe this is the time to get him cheap
I'm all over him if Heap is out.
Why? If the Cards can't make a known top 3 WR relevant, how can they make an unproven TE relevant for your team? Potential and Upside aren't the names of two QBs the Cards just signed. :)
Well Kolb abuses the TE. Houser is one of the most athletic TE to come in the league and is 6'5, 250. Real prototype for a receiving TE. 12 team league I've already added then dropped him this year when I knew Kolb was starting. Last year vs Min and Pit Kolb targeted him 14x's and nearly missed him a few times for 30-40 yard gains. I have a roster spot, Graham is my starter, so this is the kind of gamble I'm willing to take for later trade bait after bye. I missed out on Pitta/Rudolph ect.. just have to stomach Kolb working out all season. Not a safe bet but the upside is as good as any.Andre Roberts Is tied for 3rd in the league for TD's lmao

Users who are viewing this thread