What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Etiquette (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
First of all, props to J for his reply here...http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=591651&view=findpost&p=13183120

A couple of further thoughts.

1) Let's keep the personal insults out of these drafts. It's fine to bust on someone's team or give a poster grieve over their mythical 5 championships, but "Well the reason you dropped the mic my friend is because your hands were greased up from the reaming of knowledge you just took." is probably going over the line of good friendly banter. Regardless of your opinion, the opinion of the guys hosting our drafts is that this is not being excellent and not the type of exchange they want on their boards. Let's respect that so we can continue to use this forum for our enjoyment.

2) Don't take things so personal. The guy posting line above as well the guy who refers to everyone as "ladies" are probably trying to be funny. While many of us may not find them funny or actually find them annoying, in the overall scheme of things it's not that big of deal. Please refrain from using the report function in these instances. When we loss a drafter to a timeout, it also impacts 15 other guys who are innocent bystanders. If someone is getting out of line, you can shoot me or maybe one of the guys like Jeff or Aaron a PM. We can tell someone to simmer down and if it becomes an on-going issue, we can restrict them from future drafts if they are impacting peoples' enjoyment of these drafts. Bottom line is that we need to try to police this ourselves rather than make work for the board mods.

I personally can handle the callout like this BnB, lol....

But for #1 see #2

If anyone takes anything personal other then a direct insult of family, its odd to me, as its a football debate and discussion forum. A lot of debates can look heated in text on a forum. If you noticed my joke was just that... a joke!... and was writen in regards to knowledge, as it clearly states.

"Well the reason you dropped the mic my friend is because your hands were greased up from the reaming of knowledge you just took."

No offense but in defense, if that was taken as anything other then jumping on someones football knowledge, I'm sorry. I assume on a football board full of people who watch a game of men, that they can handle critiques and jokes like such.

Look at context, I still feel nothing is wrong with the joke, but if people are so sensite here in the year 2011, I'll refrain from making such statements.

At the end of the day, I wish people could take jokes and stop treating them as if its anything other then in regards to football. I think its fair to say I am on here a lot since I've joined, virtually on here at all times....and I see way worse things being said and getting overlooked.

...now back to trying to own a mock draft, that is totally smurfin a ton off right now, because we r not sure about the up coming season.

I'm still the "chosen one" of this forum

Neo is to the Matrix as LHUCKS is to the Mock Drafts R Us Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
BnB,

The one thing I would add to the rules or ask people to be a little more upfront about is the ability to check the site at least once every 2-3 hours...many in here...let's be honest some folks live and pay rent here. If you can only check the site between the times you have coffee in the morning or a late night j out on the balcony...then at the least you are going to need to send a list or PM out well in advance of when you think you might be up.

My .02

BnB,The one thing I would add to the rules or ask people to be a little more upfront about is the ability to check the site at least once every 2-3 hours...many in here...let's be honest some folks live and pay rent here. If you can only check the site between the times you have coffee in the morning or a late night j out on the balcony...then at the least you are going to need to send a list or PM out well in advance of when you think you might be up. My .02
:goodposting: I think three times a day - morning, lunch, evening should be a minimum. But very few people take advantage of lists, AIM, phone calls when they could EASILY do it.People who work at a desk all day and are blocked from the site at work really shouldn't do these drafts unless they can take/receive calls to get a pick.

I'm still the "chosen one" of this forumNeo is to the Matrix as LHUCKS is to the Mock Drafts R Us Forum.
The only thing your chosen to do is "get your shinebox", cuz you get owned in every draft and every debate.all you ever provide is your gut feelings, hardly anything impressive.

BnB,The one thing I would add to the rules or ask people to be a little more upfront about is the ability to check the site at least once every 2-3 hours...many in here...let's be honest some folks live and pay rent here. If you can only check the site between the times you have coffee in the morning or a late night j out on the balcony...then at the least you are going to need to send a list or PM out well in advance of when you think you might be up. My .02
Make the clock 4 hours or shut up. I say :shrug: And that is from someone who has made all of his picks pretty quick and used lists.

Ministry of Pain Footballguy Group:MembersPosts:27,473Joined:14-April 03Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:09 AMThat's fine AP, I understand but if the clock is moved to 4 hours in SSL3 on a whim...and honestly I object to it in SSL2, not fair if only one league is picked on....all that said if the clock is moved from 8 to 4 then find a new owner for MOP the rest of the way. It simply isn't fair. If folks want these drafts done in 3 hours then pick a date and have everyone show up and be done in 1 night...otherise this is what you get.confused; well yes

To flesh my idea out a bit,

If you time out, you go to the time out league the next time you draft. The rest of the time out league is filled with slowest drafters for that league from the past year's drafts (Mbsl for mbsl...)

If you complete a timeout league, you are good to go for all leagues until you time out in one again.

This would encourage no timeouts and drafting ASAP with lists and such.

how about "A Pick A Day".....

Day One:

1.01 pick due by 8:00 am est

1.02 pick due by 9:00 am est

1.03 pick due by 10:00 am est

etc

1.16 pick due by 12:00 am est

Day Two:

2.01 pick due by 8:00 am est

2.02 pick due by 9:00 am est

etc

the draft would be over in 18, 20, or 24 days

before the draft even starts everybody knows when every single one of their picks is due and people can get a better idea of when to check in.....odds are the draft would go even faster as picks get made early.....

if you don't get your pick in in time...you are skipped and you make it up whenever

But it sucks for the guys on the end?.....well it may seem that way, but I think a rythm would be developed and we would get way ahead of schedule and those late night/early morning picks wouldn't really have to wait until those times....and especially since the turn guys will go back to back with their picks anyway...

this just offers the drafter protection, because he knows no matter what, he has until such and such time to get his pick in.....so even if we are ahead of schedule, and maybe "waiting" on a pick, you really aren't.....anything ahead of schedule is gravy

I think we could all live with a pick a day in these things and quite honestly the structure of a "schedule" or "time" when your pick is due would probably make it go even faster then just one pick a day.....

I get the general concept here - which is that we want participation and discussions about these drafts and the draft to keep a reasonable pace (and by the way, this is really not the subject of the original topic).

If we all basically agreed that the drafts should be done in 4 weeks or less, I think we're all fine with that. We know it will be 4 weeks or less when we sign up. I think people start getting antsy if there's a slow period and we start to drag. That's the nature of the beast. However, I enjoy taking some time and watching it all unfold during a period (or periods) of the year when not much is going on.

I think that after Week 3 in a draft the clocks should be adjusted to push for a finish by the end of Week 4. I think that's reasonable. The 4th week should be mostly Defenses, kickers and sleepers, which are perfect for lists anyway. I believe that's what BNB tries to do ad hoc anyway. Something as simple as "if the draft hasn't reached a certain point, the commissioner will cut the clocks for everyone to keep a pace for a 4-week total time draft".

These drafts have never been rule-heavy, and that's been a good thing for most of the participants. For the most part these are warmups for the coming year with some fun discussions. That's the goal, IMHO. I think we should start mentioning the "we are planning for a 3-4 week draft" up front when people sign up so they know the expectations. If things drag, the commish owes it to all 16 people to meet that overall timeline so that they are not caught being unavailable after that 4 week timeline.

I agree with Jeff about what the goal is......and I really could care less about how long it takes....

I think the biggest issue is that people get frustrated when they are the ones checking in pretty regularly and they see very little activity......it then it makes them not want to check in as ofetn and a snow ball affect starts.....like right now in SSL2 pimp hasn't been on since 7:00 last night and I'm up next...and then you have guys that think their pick won't be up for a long time, but then bam a bunch of picks get rattled off and a guy thinks there is no way he is up and he is....and we wait...

if you set a time for each pick before the draft even starts, it takes away the pressure on the drafter and the frustration level of other owners....no waiting game...

I agree with Jeff about what the goal is......and I really could care less about how long it takes....I think the biggest issue is that people get frustrated when they are the ones checking in pretty regularly and they see very little activity......it then it makes them not want to check in as ofetn and a snow ball affect starts.....like right now in SSL2 pimp hasn't been on since 7:00 last night and I'm up next...and then you have guys that think their pick won't be up for a long time, but then bam a bunch of picks get rattled off and a guy thinks there is no way he is up and he is....and we wait...if you set a time for each pick before the draft even starts, it takes away the pressure on the drafter and the frustration level of other owners....no waiting game...
Well said Stinkin!I understand the concept of the 8 hour clock, allowing people to make a pick when they can, but that is unbelievably long. However, we all know when these things start, so if you sign up for a league, it has now became a priority and something that needs to be made time for. Because with all do respect...people who have issues or are not able to check in is not mine or anyones concern, our concern in a fantasy football draft on a fantasy football board...IS THE DRAFT!It should be a 2 hour clock, end of story!In this day in age with emails and the easy access to the internet and PMs... there is no excuse to not make your pick quickly.Nothing short of a loved one being hurt or ill, there is no reason to not pick swift....NONE!I dont care if your at work, wife asks you to do this or that, in court, birthdays, ect... you know you have that stuff in advance, and if you can not make your picks quick you should not be able to sign up. Just my thoughts but I'm as hardcore as it gets.What I really laugh at are the people who complain at the people who want the draft to move along, by saying the season dont start tomorrow, or whats the rush, blah blah blah...So you much rather make a pick every 2 days for a month and have this as a lengthy concern, then focusing and getting it done in a week and be done with. Yup, just sounds like excuses from someone who dont check in often or can careless.

I get the general concept here - which is that we want participation and discussions about these drafts and the draft to keep a reasonable pace (and by the way, this is really not the subject of the original topic).

If we all basically agreed that the drafts should be done in 4 weeks or less, I think we're all fine with that. We know it will be 4 weeks or less when we sign up. I think people start getting antsy if there's a slow period and we start to drag. That's the nature of the beast. However, I enjoy taking some time and watching it all unfold during a period (or periods) of the year when not much is going on.

I think that after Week 3 in a draft the clocks should be adjusted to push for a finish by the end of Week 4. I tink that's reasonable. The 4th week should be mostly Defenses, kickers and sleepers, which are perfect for lists anyway. hI believe that's what BNB tries to do ad hoc anyway. Something as simple as "if the draft hasn't reached a certain point, the commissioner will cut the clocks for everyone to keep a pace for a 4-week total time draft".

These drafts have never been rule-heavy, and that's been a good thing for most of the participants. For the most part these are warmups for the coming year with some fun discussions. That's the goal, IMHO. I think we should start mentioning the "we are planning for a 3-4 week draft" up front when people sign up so they know the expectations. If things drag, the commish owes it to all 16 people to meet that overall timeline so that they are not caught being unavailable after that 4 week timeline.
Except when you reach for Akers many rounds early, lol :bag: ;)

I agree with Jeff about what the goal is......and I really could care less about how long it takes....

I think the biggest issue is that people get frustrated when they are the ones checking in pretty regularly and they see very little activity......it then it makes them not want to check in as ofetn and a snow ball affect starts.....like right now in SSL2 pimp hasn't been on since 7:00 last night and I'm up next...and then you have guys that think their pick won't be up for a long time, but then bam a bunch of picks get rattled off and a guy thinks there is no way he is up and he is....and we wait...

if you set a time for each pick before the draft even starts, it takes away the pressure on the drafter and the frustration level of other owners....no waiting game...
I understand your frustration but he landed in Minneapolis last night around 6:00 flying halfway across the country for a business conention that I bet he never thought would be a issue when he signed up over a month ago. This morning he had to be at the confernce early and he just has not had much time to chek into the site. God I make it sound like we have an Ace and Gary relationhip :) The point though is I understand your frustration Ref, but there are other things happening too. He isn't passed out in Grandma's basement with a half lit joint in one hand and a 3/4 empty Oreo Doublestuffed wrapper draped across his belly while he lays on his back and plays video games off the ceiling all day...that's all I'm trying to say here.

I agree with Jeff about what the goal is......and I really could care less about how long it takes....I think the biggest issue is that people get frustrated when they are the ones checking in pretty regularly and they see very little activity......it then it makes them not want to check in as ofetn and a snow ball affect starts.....like right now in SSL2 pimp hasn't been on since 7:00 last night and I'm up next...and then you have guys that think their pick won't be up for a long time, but then bam a bunch of picks get rattled off and a guy thinks there is no way he is up and he is....and we wait...if you set a time for each pick before the draft even starts, it takes away the pressure on the drafter and the frustration level of other owners....no waiting game...
Well said Stinkin!I understand the concept of the 8 hour clock, allowing people to make a pick when they can, but that is unbelievably long. However, we all know when these things start, so if you sign up for a league, it has now became a priority and something that needs to be made time for. Because with all do respect...people who have issues or are not able to check in is not mine or anyones concern, our concern in a fantasy football draft on a fantasy football board...IS THE DRAFT!It should be a 2 hour clock, end of story!In this day in age with emails and the easy access to the internet and PMs... there is no excuse to not make your pick quickly.Nothing short of a loved one being hurt or ill, there is no reason to not pick swift....NONE!I dont care if your at work, wife asks you to do this or that, in court, birthdays, ect... you know you have that stuff in advance, and if you can not make your picks quick you should not be able to sign up. Just my thoughts but I'm as hardcore as it gets.What I really laugh at are the people who complain at the people who want the draft to move along, by saying the season dont start tomorrow, or whats the rush, blah blah blah...So you much rather make a pick every 2 days for a month and have this as a lengthy concern, then focusing and getting it done in a week and be done with. Yup, just sounds like excuses from someone who dont check in often or can careless.
Football Critic Footballguy Group:MembersPosts:1,526Joined:02-February 10Gender:MaleLocation:Philadelphia, PAPosted Yesterday, 12:56 PMI'm aware of my pick and will make my pick as soon as I get home at 5pm....Not gonna make the same mistake twice. Have to look at my list at home. Some of you guys are truly amazing

I understand your frustration but he landed in Minneapolis last night around 6:00 flying halfway across the country for a business conention that I bet he never thought would be a issue when he signed up over a month ago. This morning he had to be at the confernce early and he just has not had much time to chek into the site. God I make it sound like we have an Ace and Gary relationhip :) The point though is I understand your frustration Ref, but there are other things happening too. He isn't passed out in Grandma's basement with a half lit joint in one hand and a 3/4 empty Oreo Doublestuffed wrapper draped across his belly while he lays on his back and plays video games off the ceiling all day...that's all I'm trying to say here.
don't get me wrong....I was just using Pimp as an example....I know we all actually have lives and things happen.....and I could really care less how long this stuff takes.....I was just explaining how some can get frustrated.....to me, a timout here or there isn't that big of a deal.....we have rules to address it when it happens, and continual timeouts eventually take care of themselves.... :suds:

Football Critic Footballguy Group:MembersPosts:1,526Joined:02-February 10Gender:MaleLocation:Philadelphia, PAPosted Yesterday, 12:56 PMI'm aware of my pick and will make my pick as soon as I get home at 5pm....Not gonna make the same mistake twice. Have to look at my list at home. Some of you guys are truly amazing
Seriously amazing? Notice that I made people aware of the time I was picking and that I am here checking in. And did that on purpose in regards to someone busting on me for making a double pick from my blackberry, lol.I have an incredible track record for making my picks swiftly. Thats all I need to say.PS - I also ended up making that pick before 5pm, and your right some guys are truly amazing.Also, since you rattled my cage, learn how to use the quote button, its really easy for the unamazing people.

In general I like your moxy in the SP. In this draft however I think you are really full of yourself. Getting the draft done in a week dosn't make you a superior beng. In fact if you want to truly impress everyone then get everyone together for 3 hours like FBG does with US and then I'll applaud from where I am standing. The rules are 8 hours...that's what everyoe has agreed to for the last 10 years.Instead of bickering like spoiled brats, maybe some of us might want to take a moment to thank the folks that make this possible...it doesn't cost anything other than time so be grateful we have folks like Twilight, BnB, BSS, Hook, and others...these folks are not thanked enough but they all try and move things along and in the case of Twilight he actually hosts a site so we can track this stuff and have a little fun along the way. :I'lltakeheapingspoonfulsofguiltfor$200Alex:Seriously though

Well said Stinkin!I understand the concept of the 8 hour clock, allowing people to make a pick when they can, but that is unbelievably long. However, we all know when these things start, so if you sign up for a league, it has now became a priority and something that needs to be made time for. Because with all do respect...people who have issues or are not able to check in is not mine or anyones concern, our concern in a fantasy football draft on a fantasy football board...

IS THE DRAFT!

It should be a 2 hour clock, end of story!

In this day in age with emails and the easy access to the internet and PMs... there is no excuse to not make your pick quickly.

Nothing short of a loved one being hurt or ill, there is no reason to not pick swift....NONE!

I dont care if your at work, wife asks you to do this or that, in court, birthdays, ect... you know you have that stuff in advance, and if you can not make your picks quick you should not be able to sign up.

Just my thoughts but I'm as hardcore as it gets.

What I really laugh at are the people who complain at the people who want the draft to move along, by saying the season dont start tomorrow, or whats the rush, blah blah blah...So you much rather make a pick every 2 days for a month and have this as a lengthy concern, then focusing and getting it done in a week and be done with. Yup, just sounds like excuses from someone who dont check in often or can careless.
In general I like your moxy in the SP. In this draft however I think you are really full of yourself. Getting the draft done in a week dosn't make you a superior beng. In fact if you want to truly impress everyone then get everyone together for 3 hours like FBG does with US and then I'll applaud from where I am standing. The rules are 8 hours...that's what everyoe has agreed to for the last 10 years.

Instead of bickering like spoiled brats, maybe some of us might want to take a moment to thank the folks that make this possible...it doesn't cost anything other than time so be grateful we have folks like Twilight, BnB, BSS, Hook, and others...these folks are not thanked enough but they all try and move things along and in the case of Twilight he actually hosts a site so we can track this stuff and have a little fun along the way.

:I'lltakeheapingspoonfulsofguiltfor$200Alex:

Seriously though
Everyone calls a debate, heated or not, "bickering"....but ok.Anyways, My point is yes, for 10 years its been the same, but times and technology have changed... wouldnt you agree?

people have texts or emails sent to their phones, its more then reasonable for people to make picks much sooner than 8 hours, IN MY OPINION.

I for one do not do any of this off my phone....I don't pay the extra money for internet access, etc....kinda old school...I rarely even text.....

when umpiring/reffing an all day tournament a few times on the weekend, I have called my 12 year old daughter and asked her to log on, read me the picks and actually post a pick for me between games....(in this draft it was the Ingram pick, she was like "what the hell is a pm" when I asked her to type "please pm next")...so I dont think it is safe to assume that technology should speed us up....

the amount of timeouts that we actually have in all of these things is pretty minimal.....pretty good/considerate group of guys around here for the most part....we have rules in place to address timeouts when they happen....all of these are done way before the season even starts.....so we have a few timeouts, big deal.....if these drafts are too slow for anyone....go somewhere else....

personally I think it is kind of cool to muddle through some of these things with some of the staff here and some other pretty solid fantasy dudes and try and pick their brain....my biggest fantasy weakness is I am a "from the gut guy" and often use the "he passes the eye ball test" type approach....not a stat guy at all....past results don't mean a ton to me...future situations do..so when I see some solid reasoning about stuff even if stat based, I pay attention and hope that it helps me come August/September...dragging these out for as long as possible is cool by me.....actually gonna hate not having anymore after this one....

good luck to all.....try to keep the discussions up when you can cause that is one of the biggest benefits of these

:football:

Thats not even remotely practical....nor particularly fair. A set time wouldn't work. (Although I agree with the rest of your posting)

'renesauz said:
Thats not even remotely practical....nor particularly fair. A set time wouldn't work. (Although I agree with the rest of your posting)
yeah knowing the exact time every one of your picks is due before the draft even starts would suck....it would also be real hard to send lists and stuff.....I would much rather just keep checking randomly at all times of the day not knowing if my pick is up in a few minutes or if it will be another 10 hours or maybe even another day or two.....

LOLz

Users who are viewing this thread