What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (3 Viewers)

Federal Government opening late tomorrow. Employees get admin leave until 11 AM. Nothing on schools yet. It's pretty rare for the government to have something out there before schools. OPM seems to give more delays, early departures, and closures than they used to give.

So Dave Zirin, the first sports reporter in the history of the "Nation Magazine," is also apparently a FBG. On his Twitter he posted this about a feud between Bryce Harper and a couple of DC sports media guys: "It's like the Lincoln-Douglas debates, only smellier."

Sound familiar?

Can some longtime locals pass down some knowledge on local markets? I'm gonna try Eastern Market on Sunday but would like more options for the future. TIA.
Eastern Market is great. I wouldn't got on a Sunday if you're just looking to get some meat and fish and produce and whatnot, though. They have a giant arts and crafts and antiques type thing around there every weekend, it'll be really crowded. Just go during the week when it's nothing but butchers and fishmongers and whatnot. And grab some pupusas across the street while you're there.If you're thinking Italian, here's the best-kept foodie secret in DC. It's also a great place to stock up on cheap wine.
That whole market is up for massive redevelopment.I've heard it called Florida Market, Capital City Market, and now it seems it will be Union Market.

There is so much development going on in the DC area right now, but this has the potential to be one of the best projects.

I was contemplating a trip to DC, but I don't want to put my money toward a place who elects leaders that hate my people.

Barry: 'We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in'

Ward 8 D.C. Councilman Marion Barry is on the hot seat again.

Celebrating his victory in the Democratic primary on Tuesday night, Barry spoke up about the prominence of businesses owned by Asians in the District.

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said in remarks first reported by WRC-TV. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2012/04/barry-we’ve-got-do-something-about-these-asians-coming/448886

I was contemplating a trip to DC, but I don't want to put my money toward a place who elects leaders that hate my people.

Celebrating his victory in the Democratic primary on Tuesday night, Barry spoke up about the prominence of businesses owned by Asians in the District.

“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said in remarks first reported by WRC-TV. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2012/04/barry-we’ve-got-do-something-about-these-asians-coming/448886
His Ward is 0.5% Asian. He probably won't lose too many votes in the next election.

Just stay in Virginia, and then just visit the monuments and free museums in DC, so you don't have to spend your money in DC. Our elected leaders only hate homosexuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
'dgreen said:
'Clinton said:

His Ward is 0.5% Asian. He probably won't lose too many votes in the next election.
50 years after he dies, Barry will still get elected in that ward if someone writes his name on the ballot.

Anyone know anything about the Melrose Hotel? Some friends are looking for a hotel and asked about it. They said "Good reviews, affordable. Looked nice." Definitely looks like a good price.

I can give them plenty of info on the location and how it relates to their agenda, but I really have no idea if it's a good hotel.

Anyone know anything about the Melrose Hotel? Some friends are looking for a hotel and asked about it. They said "Good reviews, affordable. Looked nice." Definitely looks like a good price.I can give them plenty of info on the location and how it relates to their agenda, but I really have no idea if it's a good hotel.
get a hotel near clarendon or rosslyn. good night life in those areas - cheaper rooms - and if they want they can taxi right over key bridge to georgetown and adams morgan

Anyone know anything about the Melrose Hotel? Some friends are looking for a hotel and asked about it. They said "Good reviews, affordable. Looked nice." Definitely looks like a good price.I can give them plenty of info on the location and how it relates to their agenda, but I really have no idea if it's a good hotel.
I think my parents stayed there once when I was a GW undergrad. If it's the place I'm thinking of, they thought it was kind of mediocre. But their preferred hotel back then was the St. Regis; so, their mediocre might be someone else's luxury.

50 years after he dies, Barry will still get elected in that ward if someone writes his name on the ballot.
ExactlyAnyone that get's popped smoking crack, which at the time was bringing DC to its knees, and get's relected.....probably has a good shot at this.

'Don Quixote said:
'dgreen said:
I think my parents stayed there once when I was a GW undergrad. If it's the place I'm thinking of, they thought it was kind of mediocre. But their preferred hotel back then was the St. Regis; so, their mediocre might be someone else's luxury.
The price says mediocre (or slightly worse), but the pics look ok. As long as your parents didn't think it was horrible, I'm sure it will be fine for them.

'Don Quixote said:
'dgreen said:
The price says mediocre (or slightly worse), but the pics look ok. As long as your parents didn't think it was horrible, I'm sure it will be fine for them.
If I'm thinking of right place, I don't think they thought horrible. But I haven't lived in Foggy Bottom in about ten years, so it would have been at least that long ago.

That was pretty awesome. :thumbup: Wish I had brought my camera into the office, but I guess my blackberry pic will have to do.
should be coming to dulles soon to land everyone is staring out the windows .. people on building tops and on bridges kinda crazy

I remember seeing it as a kid. It flew into Dulles and we, along with a bunch of other people, were standing in the median of the Dulles Access road as it flew over and landed at Dulles. I think everyone just parked on the side of the road?

I remember seeing it as a kid. It flew into Dulles and we, along with a bunch of other people, were standing in the median of the Dulles Access road as it flew over and landed at Dulles. I think everyone just parked on the side of the road?
That was the fake one. Discovery? That's the real deal, brah.

The best was when the Concorde flew into Dulles. Had to turn up the volume on the tv pretty loud to hear it over the rumble.

No love for Montgomery County? Wtf?
I'm in Friendship Heights and it definitely was over Montgomery County for a minute or so. It was just north of Sacks on Wisconsin then looped back towards Willard Ave then back out towards the Potomac River. Pretty cool - it was probably 1/4 mile from my office.

Great Falls Mansion Battle!

Don't you dare build a mansion bigger than my mansion!

:moneybag:
That whole story is spectacular. I particularly enjoy the lawyer who had to tell the press that his client considers the construction of a home about which his clients put up billboards a "private matter."Kitchenettes off the bedrooms for midnight snacking is :moneybag: though. I'd weigh 400 pounds if I had that.

That whole story is spectacular. I particularly enjoy the lawyer who had to tell the press that his client considers the construction of a home about which his clients put up billboards a "private matter."Kitchenettes off the bedrooms for midnight snacking is :moneybag: though. I'd weigh 400 pounds if I had that.
I was expecting a much better resume for the owner:
The grandness of the home stands in contrast to its low-profile owner, 38-year-old Young Yi, who a Virginia business license lists as the head of the 1st Class Sleep Diagnostics Center. The Northern Virginia chain, which treats sleep disorders, has grown to six clinics since it was founded in 2004.

I was expecting a much better resume for the owner:
The grandness of the home stands in contrast to its low-profile owner, 38-year-old Young Yi, who a Virginia business license lists as the head of the 1st Class Sleep Diagnostics Center. The Northern Virginia chain, which treats sleep disorders, has grown to six clinics since it was founded in 2004.
Seriously, only 8 years to accumulate enough for a 15-20 million dollar home? Impressive.

Is today the best Washington sports day since the Redskins last Super Bowl in January 1992?

Epic Capitals win last night

Drafting RG III tonight

Nationals with best record in baseball

Even Lez Boulez have won 5 straight, without sacrificing their #2 spot in the draft lottery

I think it might be. Which - while cool - also serves to underscore how crappy the last 20 years have been for DC.

Is today the best Washington sports day since the Redskins last Super Bowl in January 1992?Epic Capitals win last nightDrafting RG III tonightNationals with best record in baseballEven Lez Boulez have won 5 straight, without sacrificing their #2 spot in the draft lotteryI think it might be. Which - while cool - also serves to underscore how crappy the last 20 years have been for DC.
In 2005, I was saying:The Caps have the best young player in the game.Joe Gibbs is back and has the team headed in the right direction.The Wizards have a good young group, a rising star (Arenas), and the Wizards actually made the playoffs (and won their first-round series).Baseball is back in DC.

'dgreen said:
'The_Man said:
Is today the best Washington sports day since the Redskins last Super Bowl in January 1992?Epic Capitals win last nightDrafting RG III tonightNationals with best record in baseballEven Lez Boulez have won 5 straight, without sacrificing their #2 spot in the draft lotteryI think it might be. Which - while cool - also serves to underscore how crappy the last 20 years have been for DC.
In 2005, I was saying:The Caps have the best young player in the game.Joe Gibbs is back and has the team headed in the right direction.The Wizards have a good young group, a rising star (Arenas), and the Wizards actually made the playoffs (and won their first-round series).Baseball is back in DC.
Status as of mid-April 2010:Caps, fresh off their first President's Cup, take a 3-1 series lead against the 8 seed CanadiensRedskins and new hire Shanahan trade for Donovan McNabbWizards win the lottery and the right to draft John WallNats are over .500 and fans are counting down the days until Strasburg's big league debutHard to get too excited.

Status as of mid-April 2010:Caps, fresh off their first President's Cup, take a 3-1 series lead against the 8 seed CanadiensRedskins and new hire Shanahan trade for Donovan McNabbWizards win the lottery and the right to draft John WallNats are over .500 and fans are counting down the days until Strasburg's big league debutHard to get too excited.
Bryce Harper going to make major league debut Saturday at Dodger Stadium....

Any good new restaurant recommendations?
It's been open almost a year and I've been meaning to try Virtue Feed and Grain in Old Town Alexandria. From the owners of other popular Old Town restaurants: Restaurant Eve, Eamonn's Dublin Chipper, PX, and Majestic. Actually, I have only been to Eamonn's because it's the cheapest option. If I lived in Old Town, I'd probably eat at Eamonn's at least once a week.

Any good new restaurant recommendations?
was about to start this up.i want to recommend Da Domenico in tysons. Rated the best veal chop in town by washington post. their pasta is made fresh daily and ooo soo good. i havnt been in a few years but last few times i went one of the owners walks around singing opera there are some pictures up on yelp herehttp://www.yelp.com/biz/da-domenico-mcleancapt pells in fairfax has a good all you can eat blue crabquarterdeck in arlington does also- great jumbo crabs--- just a small place so its hard to get seating at nightbeen to mays crabshack in frederick- its alright.. tiny place but for the all you can eat fee you get crab soup and hushpuppies fries included. last year they had a 2 hour all you can eat limit which sucked

Anything in the DC area do good Chicago pizza? I was talking to my boys about different pizza styles and when I mentioned Chicago, I realized I've only had it at Pizzeria Uno's. Never was a fan of it at Uno's, but I'm also assuming Uno's isn't exactly the place to go for Chicago pizza. But, maybe it's all DC has?

Anything in the DC area do good Chicago pizza? I was talking to my boys about different pizza styles and when I mentioned Chicago, I realized I've only had it at Pizzeria Uno's. Never was a fan of it at Uno's, but I'm also assuming Uno's isn't exactly the place to go for Chicago pizza. But, maybe it's all DC has?
Armand's - pretty much sucks, though. If that's Chicago pizza, then I don't like it

Armand's - pretty much sucks, though. If that's Chicago pizza, then I don't like it
Yeah it's not quite authentic since they don't layer it Chicago style. I like them though.

Users who are viewing this thread