What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (2 Viewers)

We had 3-4 here in Leesburg. Haven't seen a plow yet, and we're close to downtown. School got called last nite around 8. Wondering if it will be a 4-day weekend.
 Doesn't western Loudoun usually gets more snow? 
Yes, and Western and Northern Loudoun have roads that are harder for buses, usually causing the county to call it earlier and easier. Thats also why they build 2-3 weeks of snowdays into the school calendar.

Yes, and Western and Northern Loudoun have roads that are harder for buses, usually causing the county to call it earlier and easier. Thats also why they build 2-3 weeks of snowdays into the school calendar.
I wouldn't be surprised.  They haven't done anything to the roads in my neck of Fairfax County.

I wouldn't be surprised.  They haven't done anything to the roads in my neck of Fairfax County.
There was very little done in my part of FFX this morning, making the morning commute slow. I really hope the evening commute is better. Traffic doesn't look bad on Google Maps right now so hopefully most of the roads are clear.

Bob Mould's new tour is kicking off at the 9:30 Club on ... Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, going to that show is not my wife's idea of a perfect celebration.

So, I'm going to sweeten the pot. Any thoughts on a decent hotel near the 9:30 Club and a nearby place to grab dinner before the show? 

Bob Mould's new tour is kicking off at the 9:30 Club on ... Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, going to that show is not my wife's idea of a perfect celebration.

So, I'm going to sweeten the pot. Any thoughts on a decent hotel near the 9:30 Club and a nearby place to grab dinner before the show? 
Unfortunately there are not a lot of hotels within a short walking distance.  There's basically a dead zone for hotels starting north of Shaw and East of 16th St NW. If you're OK with a longer walk you can look into the Kimpton hotels; Rouge and Mason and Rook are probably 15-20 minute walks. Google tells me there's a B&B in LeDroit Park that looks very nice and romantic ... maybe that would do the trick?

Dining options is the exact opposite. Too many to count. If you do go with LeDroit Park maybe check out Red Hen

ETA: There is this hotel in Shaw, only about a 7 block walk from there to 930 and it's along an interesting, well-lit commercial strip with a ton of great restaurants.  Doesn't look like the most romantic spot in the world, but maybe Bob Mould will play a romantic set.  BTW last time I went to see him at 930 I ran into JZilla and some other FBG- was that you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Depending on how much she hates the idea of Bob Mould on Feb 14, I think I'd stay in one of the nice/historic places downtown and cab/uber up to the show.

Do we know what music Bob is doing? My favorite was his Workbook-era. Loved that album

TobiasFunke said:
BTW last time I went to see him at 930 I ran into JZilla and some other FBG- was that you?
I can confirm attending a Bob Mould show at the 9:30 Club with JZilla and scorchy where I cornholed The_Man.  Not sure if that's the same one you're talking about.  The show I went to substituted a cellist for a drummer, might not have been the best choice. 

I can confirm attending a Bob Mould show at the 9:30 Club with JZilla and scorchy where I cornholed The_Man.  Not sure if that's the same one you're talking about.  The show I went to substituted a cellist for a drummer, might not have been the best choice. 
That was - I think - the 25th Anniversary tour of "Workbook," where he played the whole album. I think ... things are a little hazy from that evening. I also saw him there for the 20th anniversary of "Copper Blue," when he played that entire album. That was incredible. 

Anyone know of any bars in or near Easton, MD that have NFL Sunday Ticket or at least the Red Zone Channel?  Gonna be at the in-laws this weekend and need to make arrangements for fantasy playoffs. Anything east of the Bay Bridge and north of Salisbury would work.

Apologies for the fantasy football-related post, I know it's a bit unusual around here.

Anyone know of any bars in or near Easton, MD that have NFL Sunday Ticket or at least the Red Zone Channel?  Gonna be at the in-laws this weekend and need to make arrangements for fantasy playoffs. Anything east of the Bay Bridge and north of Salisbury would work.

Apologies for the fantasy football-related post, I know it's a bit unusual around here.
Never been there, but maybe this place?

2018 population estimate for Washington, DC: 702,455.

Over 700k for the first time since the 1970s.

Up about 100k since 2010.

I'm planning a small anniversary weekend getaway to Frederick, MD with my wife for two nights.  Never been. I reserved VOLT for dinner one night, and The Wine Kitchen on the Creek for another night.  Anybody want to suggest a different restaurant to me?  

You folks ready for DC Snowmageddon 2019 (Part One)?

The local weather hobbyist who I follow on FB has us getting 5-7" here in the Valley.

Looks like the DC area totals got raised overnight, too.

You folks ready for DC Snowmageddon 2019 (Part One)?

The local weather hobbyist who I follow on FB has us getting 5-7" here in the Valley.

Looks like the DC area totals got raised overnight, too.
Had a busy weekend planned. Happy some things will be cancelled and bummed other things will be. 

Happy Snow Day to my fellow unfurloughed Feds. ⛄

We got about 12 inches in Tyson’s Corner. I’ve got to go dig out a car so my daughter can make it to a dentist appointment.  :sadbanana:

I'm planning a small anniversary weekend getaway to Frederick, MD with my wife for two nights.  Never been. I reserved VOLT for dinner one night, and The Wine Kitchen on the Creek for another night.  Anybody want to suggest a different restaurant to me?  
I didn't get any replies to this... I'm not sure how many have been to Frederick (it was my first time, so new to me), but, in case anyone is looking for ideas, I just thought I'd share that it was a pretty good town for a weekend getaway.  Surpassed my expectations.

Pretty compact downtown with a lot of good food and drink options. I stayed at a B&B in walking distance.  I did a 10 course tasting menu with wine pairing at VOLT, which may have been the most gluttonous thing that I've ever done. Also had an amazing steak at The Wine Kitchen.  Some good comfort food at Pretzel & Pizza.  Flight of beers at Olde Mother Brewing was great too.  Museum of Civil War Medicine satisfied my needs to do something history related.  Only sad part was that I did not have time to get to McClintock Distilling.

Don Quixote said:
I didn't get any replies to this... I'm not sure how many have been to Frederick (it was my first time, so new to me), but, in case anyone is looking for ideas, I just thought I'd share that it was a pretty good town for a weekend getaway.  Surpassed my expectations.

Pretty compact downtown with a lot of good food and drink options. I stayed at a B&B in walking distance.  I did a 10 course tasting menu with wine pairing at VOLT, which may have been the most gluttonous thing that I've ever done. Also had an amazing steak at The Wine Kitchen.  Some good comfort food at Pretzel & Pizza.  Flight of beers at Olde Mother Brewing was great too.  Museum of Civil War Medicine satisfied my needs to do something history related.  Only sad part was that I did not have time to get to McClintock Distilling.
Hey, sorry  this fell by the wayside. I have family in Frederick but I figured you'd get better responses from someone more familiar with the area so I didn't follow up. Glad it went so well.  Frederick is awesome, if I worked in NW I'd seriously think about moving there some day.

Anyway I'm talking a social media break after today. I was planning on doing one after Harper announced, but this whole MLB The Show announcement rumor thing is so annoying that it convinced me to start as soon as we're clear of it one way or the other.  But I have a reply notification for this thread so I won't miss a beat on local stuff.

Hey, sorry  this fell by the wayside. I have family in Frederick but I figured you'd get better responses from someone more familiar with the area so I didn't follow up. Glad it went so well.  Frederick is awesome, if I worked in NW I'd seriously think about moving there some day.

Anyway I'm talking a social media break after today. I was planning on doing one after Harper announced, but this whole MLB The Show announcement rumor thing is so annoying that it convinced me to start as soon as we're clear of it one way or the other.  But I have a reply notification for this thread so I won't miss a beat on local stuff.
Like was for the Frederick stuff.  I feel the same about moving there, but the commute seems horrible.  I worked about a half day on Friday, but still took us a couple of hours because of the early rush hour (driving back on Sunday was the more breezy).

I hear on the social media.  I've been checking Twitter less; I missed the MLB The Show thing, which is probably for the best.

Like was for the Frederick stuff.  I feel the same about moving there, but the commute seems horrible.  I worked about a half day on Friday, but still took us a couple of hours because of the early rush hour (driving back on Sunday was the more breezy).
My basic schedule is working from home 4 days and go into the office 1 day. Some weeks I go in more often for certain meetings or, obviously, sometimes go to conferences and other stuff in the city. But, for the most part, commuting is minimized for me. Mostly because of the kids school situation, but also because I'm not sure how long this work from home thing can last, we're staying put in Fairfax County. But, I think I'd like to live somewhere like Winchester. Get a better home for similar money within walking distance of the historic area would be nice. Maybe once the kids are out (youngest is in 6th grade), we'll consider something like that until retirement. We've also discussed getting a small place in the city for those years, since we never lived in the city (we've both been NoVa suburbs our whole lives).

Ultimately, while I've loved living in the DC area, I think we'll look to go somewhere else during retirement. Not sure where, but as a NoVa lifer I feel like I'm ready for something different.

My basic schedule is working from home 4 days and go into the office 1 day. Some weeks I go in more often for certain meetings or, obviously, sometimes go to conferences and other stuff in the city. But, for the most part, commuting is minimized for me. Mostly because of the kids school situation, but also because I'm not sure how long this work from home thing can last, we're staying put in Fairfax County. But, I think I'd like to live somewhere like Winchester. Get a better home for similar money within walking distance of the historic area would be nice. Maybe once the kids are out (youngest is in 6th grade), we'll consider something like that until retirement. We've also discussed getting a small place in the city for those years, since we never lived in the city (we've both been NoVa suburbs our whole lives).

Ultimately, while I've loved living in the DC area, I think we'll look to go somewhere else during retirement. Not sure where, but as a NoVa lifer I feel like I'm ready for something different. 
We live out in Leesburg, my wife's office is in Tysons. (LOOOOOONG commute!) Because she is a CPA, she can work from home 2 days a week and loves it. She gets more done at home because of less interaction with coworkers.

We've lived in different areas growing up (GB and Boston) and have lived in DC for a long time. We too will be looking for a different place once the kids get out of HS. (Last one is a 6th grader now.) We will likely be heading to the SW for a bit more warmth all year round, without the humidity we get in the summertime here.

We live out in Leesburg, my wife's office is in Tysons. (LOOOOOONG commute!) Because she is a CPA, she can work from home 2 days a week and loves it. She gets more done at home because of less interaction with coworkers.

We've lived in different areas growing up (GB and Boston) and have lived in DC for a long time. We too will be looking for a different place once the kids get out of HS. (Last one is a 6th grader now.) We will likely be heading to the SW for a bit more warmth all year round, without the humidity we get in the summertime here.
Yeah, I’ve enjoyed my brief time in the SW. Definitely an option. If possible, I think I’d prefer two cheaper places (maybe one New England and one SW) to avoid temp extremes in either place. Not sure that will work financially, but would be nice. 

I could see myself in the SW. My wife grew up in Albuquerque.  I'd head out there because of how much cheaper the cost of living is, but there's not really jobs for what I do out there though (seeing your wife is a CPA, I'm close that -- in the tax law field).

dgreen said:
Yeah, I’ve enjoyed my brief time in the SW. Definitely an option. If possible, I think I’d prefer two cheaper places (maybe one New England and one SW) to avoid temp extremes in either place. Not sure that will work financially, but would be nice. tho
Grew up in Boston, in a town near the water (just south of Boston). Summer there is great; love Maine, although not as many big sandy beaches. Cape is wonderful (once you get there, tho; traffic getting over the bridges is a PITA!) and I hear that people up there aren't going in the water too much lately...SHARKS!!!

Wife's family is from Green Bay, so we may look at doing something up there for summer (sure as hell not going there regularly in the winter!!! ;) ) They go to a place called Eagle River, a couple hours north, and it is spectacular. Tons of lakes in the towering trees. Fun!

Got a vacation question for you all:

We usually go to the Outer Banks for our family summer beach week with a couple otehr families. For logistical reasons we're considering the Delaware and MD beaches instead. However there don't seem to be nearly as many large multi-family vacation homes out there, or at least I didn't see much in a quick search of the Rehoboth area. Seems like it's mostly single family homes and resort type places. Any advice from Delaware/MD beach veterans? TIA.

-T (Tobias)

We usually go to the Outer Banks for our family summer beach week with a couple otehr families. For logistical reasons we're considering the Delaware and MD beaches instead. However there don't seem to be nearly as many large multi-family vacation homes out there, or at least I didn't see much in a quick search of the Rehoboth area. Seems like it's mostly single family homes and resort type places. Any advice from Delaware/MD beach veterans? TIA.

-T (Tobias)
I don't have personal experience, but I researched at some point and remember Bethany Beach coming up as the best in Delaware for that sort of stuff.  (Because of family price point, I think we ended up in the Northern Neck or Middle Peninsula of VA instead.) I'm not sure if you have looked in Bethany.

Last edited by a moderator:

-T (Tobias)
Did you check Lewes, DE?

I don't have a ton of beach experience, but for some reason I think Lewes might have some larger homes.

-T (Tobias)
We do Bethany because it is so family friendly, but we always rent a one family house. There are some pretty big ones, though. When we used to go to Outer Banks, it was always multiple families and they seem more set up with the bigger houses. I think Rehobeth and Dewey are your best bets for larger homes to rent.

Good luck.

Did you check Lewes, DE?

I don't have a ton of beach experience, but for some reason I think Lewes might have some larger homes.
We go to Lewes every summer (wife's cousin owns a place). There are a very few multi-family Outer Banks-style houses, mostly along Bay Ave. But it is a much, much different feel than OBX. Even the big houses are a lot smaller, few have pools, and you're wedged in very tight to the houses next door. Plus you're on the bay, which is pretty mellow compared to the ocean (the oceanfront in Lewes is all inside Cape Henlopen State Park). I love it there, like I love the Outer Banks - I just think you'll get a lot more for your money and find a lot more houses suitable for multiple families in the Outer Banks than you will almost anywhere in Delaware/Maryland.

We go to Lewes every summer (wife's cousin owns a place). There are a very few multi-family Outer Banks-style houses, mostly along Bay Ave. But it is a much, much different feel than OBX. Even the big houses are a lot smaller, few have pools, and you're wedged in very tight to the houses next door. Plus you're on the bay, which is pretty mellow compared to the ocean (the oceanfront in Lewes is all inside Cape Henlopen State Park). I love it there, like I love the Outer Banks - I just think you'll get a lot more for your money and find a lot more houses suitable for multiple families in the Outer Banks than you will almost anywhere in Delaware/Maryland.
Thanks, this is what I was afraid of but it jives with what I've been seeing so far. Which is weird because the actual beaches in the Outer Banks are nicer too, and far less crowded in my experience. I guess maybe the easier access to larger population centers drives the prices up.

Another problem I'm having is that when you're looking for houses in OBX there's two or three huge rental agencies with easily searchable databases of options. Everything seems much more scattershot in MD and DE.

Anyway thanks to everyone for your quick and useful responses.  And like @Don Quixote said, God Bless the Stanley Cup Champs on DC sports days like this.  Kinda hoping Bryce announces today too- just get it over with and pull off all the band-aids at once.

The Outer Banks, especially south of Whalebone Junction, is a much more pleasant experience than anything in MD or DE. Well worth the extra drive and the fact that it's cheaper is just a bonus.

The Outer Banks, especially south of Whalebone Junction, is a much more pleasant experience than anything in MD or DE. Well worth the extra drive and the fact that it's cheaper is just a bonus.
I agree it's well worth the drive for folks in the DC area, at least in my experience. The issue is with friends coming from Western PA/OH.  The Delmarva beaches chop a couple hours off their drive and make it do-able in a day.

Don Quixote said:
Apropos of nothing, god bless the Caps winning the Cup last year.  
Speaking of which, that welcome back for Beagle last night and his heartfelt response was some of the most touching ish I can remember.

Talk about a guy who gave everything he had every day and literally bled for his team. Glad he got the big payday, glad he went to a team that we don't have to hate, and most glad of all that he got so much recognition upon his return. The best thing about every former Caps tribute video that we're going to see for the next decade-plus is that they're all going to end with a shot of the guy hoisting the Stanley Cup.

TobiasFunke said:
I agree it's well worth the drive for folks in the DC area, at least in my experience. The issue is with friends coming from Western PA/OH.  The Delmarva beaches chop a couple hours off their drive and make it do-able in a day.
I hear you, but OBX is doable in a day as well, assuming somebody who can handle 9-12 hours. Of course, I say this as somebody who once drove from Acapulco to Houston in a single shot as the sole driver.

Users who are viewing this thread