What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

So it's the 1-year anniversary of the Caps winning the Stanley Cup. NBC Sports Washington is airing Game 5 again tonight, followed by the post-game stuff. I am going to watch it all.
Usually hate the "Memories" stuff that pops up on Facebook, but seeing my pictures from the parade one year ago today definitely brought a smile to my face this morning.

Any recommendations for quick places to eat close to the Mall?  I see lots of options but would prefer not to do chain places if possible.

Any recommendations for quick places to eat close to the Mall?  I see lots of options but would prefer not to do chain places if possible.
This can be tough, you generally have to wander a few blocks off the mall to find something that's not simply a tourist trap.  All depends where you are on the Mall and to a lesser degree who you're trying to feed.

If you're over on the East end (Capitol Hill) your best bet is the small strip of restaurants on Pennsylvania Ave SE, between 2nd and 4th. I work around here so I can give you specific recommendations if you give me more info.

If you're on the northeast side by the Senate buildings, I'd say go to Union station maybe. Or just head a bit west to ...

6th and especially 7th St north of the Mall is probably the best bet in terms of quality and variety if location isn't an issue. If for some reason you don't find anything before you get to Capitol One Arena/Portrait Gallery there's a ton more another block north of that stuff.

Once you get past 9th there's just not much north or south unless you're willing to walk a ways, due to the White House and some other federal office buildings on both sides and the Tidal Basin to the south.

After the White House you can go north again and eventually get to some stuff near GW, like Tonic., but it's still incredibly sparse as compared to the stuff to the east.

Last edited by a moderator:
District Taco at 13th & F (adjoining my office building) is a few blocks from the Mall, but pretty good tacos.  Hill Country BBQ on 7th another option north of the Mall.  

District Taco at 13th & F (adjoining my office building) is a few blocks from the Mall, but pretty good tacos.  Hill Country BBQ on 7th another option north of the Mall.  
There’s also a food court with numerous options and plenty of seating across from that District Taco.  Similar to a food court at the mall.

The pizza slice place in the back serves beer if you want a cold brew to help you unwind while the family eats.

This can be tough, you generally have to wander a few blocks off the mall to find something that's not simply a tourist trap.  All depends where you are on the Mall and to a lesser degree who you're trying to feed.

If you're over on the East end (Capitol Hill) your best bet is the small strip of restaurants on Pennsylvania Ave SE, between 2nd and 4th. I work around here so I can give you specific recommendations if you give me more info.

If you're on the northeast side by the Senate buildings, I'd say go to Union station maybe. Or just head a bit west to ...

6th and especially 7th St north of the Mall is probably the best bet in terms of quality and variety if location isn't an issue. If for some reason you don't find anything before you get to Capitol One Arena/Portrait Gallery there's a ton more another block north of that stuff.

Once you get past 9th there's just not much north or south unless you're willing to walk a ways, due to the White House and some other federal office buildings on both sides and the Tidal Basin to the south.

After the White House you can go north again and eventually get to some stuff near GW, like Tonic., but it's still incredibly sparse as compared to the stuff to the east.
The Wharf isn't that far of a walk either. And very close to the new Spy Museum.

The Wharf isn't that far of a walk either. And very close to the new Spy Museum.
It's a pretty far walk if you're not from a big city and/or you're dragging kids around.  I assumed the intent was to find a place to eat during/after a day of sightseeing, whereas that's more of a destination of its own.  But yeah if someone wanted a little extra adventure it's a nice little walk or an easy ride from the Archives or Lenfant metro stop.

There’s also a food court with numerous options and plenty of seating across from that District Taco.  Similar to a food court at the mall.

The pizza slice place in the back serves beer if you want a cold brew to help you unwind while the family eats.
Yeah, I thought that may have more chains than what he is going for, but definitely an option, particularly if kids can't agree on anything.   There's the pizza place, a Five Guys, and a Moe's inside.  Also a Korean taco place that is local.

Anyone have any dining/drinking recommendations in the vicinity of Merriweather Post Pavilion?  Heading out Friday to see Jason Isbell, would like to go out beforehand but don't want to do so in DC and then possibly get caught in traffic after.  @JZilla you used to leave out that way, right?

Related question- anyone else going to see Jason Isbell on Friday?

Anyone have any dining/drinking recommendations in the vicinity of Merriweather Post Pavilion?  Heading out Friday to see Jason Isbell, would like to go out beforehand but don't want to do so in DC and then possibly get caught in traffic after.  @JZilla you used to leave out that way, right?

Most of the stuff I'm aware of is kind of chain-y - Clydes, Union Jack, etc... Clydes is on the lake and I know there are other restaurants down there, but can't recall what they are. Union Jacks is near the Mall. Both areas are within easy walking distance from Merriweather. 

Most of the stuff I'm aware of is kind of chain-y - Clydes, Union Jack, etc... Clydes is on the lake and I know there are other restaurants down there, but can't recall what they are. Union Jacks is near the Mall. Both areas are within easy walking distance from Merriweather. 
Thanks.  Doesn't need to be in walking distance, though. Just want to get out to the general vicinity before/during rush hour so we don't get stuck in traffic after dinner.

Thanks.  Doesn't need to be in walking distance, though. Just want to get out to the general vicinity before/during rush hour so we don't get stuck in traffic after dinner.
When I lived in Howard Co 15 years ago, I could have directed you to some really good places but Columbia changes so fast......... We were doing a job there a couple of years ago at the CC and all of the cool smaller places I knew were gone.

Plus, it is a royal pain to get around in if you are venturing off of 29/175 and don't know where you're going. You can SEE places but not figure out how to get there. Of course, GPS wasn't a thing back then. so I'm sure it's easier now.

Sorry I'm not more help. I would still suggest somewhere around Town Center. Traffic around there ain't no joke.

Seeing the National tonight. Probably skipping Isbell, though I have a funeral up that way on Saturday so it's not inconceivable. Last time I saw him was with the Truckers. I'm not wild about all of his material, but have no doubt he puts on a solid show.

Traffic alert for those of you who drive around Georgetown - specifically Reservoir Rd in front of MGUH and its feeder streets:

Next week, there is going to be a crap load of construction equipment/tools/material delivered for construction of the new Surgical Pavilion. I know this, because about 20 low-boy hauls are going to be my company's.  I have two cranes coming in Monday at about 9 a.m.. Once they are erected, the deluge starts. And I'm not the only one mobilizing a bunch of stuff.

:kicksrock:   sometimes (frequently) my wife drives me crazy - after spending all this time trying to plan our trip to D.C. she is pulling an audible and talking about heading to the beach.

Seeing the National tonight. Probably skipping Isbell, though I have a funeral up that way on Saturday so it's not inconceivable. Last time I saw him was with the Truckers. I'm not wild about all of his material, but have no doubt he puts on a solid show.
How was The National!? 

Sebowski said:
How was The National!? 
Fantastic, as always. Those guys have never not delivered. They've been playing a good bit since Sleep Well Beast so they are in full stride. There was a second drummer and as far as I recall (hammered, sir) the horn guys pulled double duty doing deedle blip sample stuff on the new material. I can do without the woman who is singing the new songs with Matt, but it wasn't a big deal. But yeah, it was a great show.

How was the Isbell show, TF?

What did you end up doing?  Just flew back in from out of town.. Like UH said Union Jack's is OK for that kind of thing, there's not much to write home about over there in general.  It's kind of pick your poison as far as suburban bars n grills.  Victoria's is a cut above but not very close to the pavilion

What did you end up doing?  Just flew back in from out of town.. Like UH said Union Jack's is OK for that kind of thing, there's not much to write home about over there in general.  It's kind of pick your poison as far as suburban bars n grills.  Victoria's is a cut above but not very close to the pavilion
Friends went to Cured, I was running late. 

Hadn't been out there in years, the amount of commercial development since my last trip is insane.  Merriweather itself seems to have gotten a nice upgrade too.  Although that may have been the smaller/older crowd.

Any other true crime podcast listeners out there?  WTOP has a series going now on the 2015 quadruple murder of a wealthy family in NW- the one with the house fire near the VP residence.  There's no real whodunit here, they have a conviction, only questions are whether he had accomplices and whether the motive was just a cash grab or something more. But if you're into the genre and from the area it's a worthwhile listen IMO.   Title is 22 Hours: An American Nightmare

Friends went to Cured, I was running late. 

Hadn't been out there in years, the amount of commercial development since my last trip is insane.  Merriweather itself seems to have gotten a nice upgrade too.  Although that may have been the smaller/older crowd.
Merriweather and Wolf Trap are both outstanding venues and you're lucky to have 'em 

Family is flying into BWI on Sunday morning, taking MARC to Union Station.

Anything I need to know about the train?  Cool that we will be carrying a suitcase each?

Couldn't be much easier. After getting your bags, just go outside and catch airport bus to MARC/Amtrak. 5 minute ride and you'll be right at the station. No worries about luggage, especially on a Sunday with no commuters.

Recommendation for low key yet cool experience for a date night?  Restaurant/bar for 40 something couple?

Not looking to get more dressed up than jeans and a button down.

Staying Marriott Marquis.

DC was great.  Not quite the energy of Chicago, but it has a piece of that vibe.

The Occidental stood out for us as the preferred lunch option (x3).  All Purpose Shaw (x2) and Le Diplomate were great.  Bolt Burger and Calico were decent.  Capitol Burger and Brasserie Beck sucked.  I'm not easily scared, but the McDonald's in Chinatown (kids wanted a shake)... jesus.

The museums were amazing - in order I'd go Spy, Natural History, Air & Space, American History, Sculpture Garden, African American, Portrait.  Monument/Memorials great.  Arlington Cemetery was moving and memorable.  My god the WWII memorial/fountain hit the spot... feet in the cold water for 10 minutes saved the day.

Marriott Marquis upgraded us to the best suite in the building (top floor corner facing west with 270 degree views), worked out great for the rainy 4th fireworks watching.  The crowds at the Mall were fun.

Really the only let down was getting to the Lincoln Memorial to find it had closed 20 minutes prior to secure it for Trump the next day... Maybe would have skipped Library of Congress if I knew then what I know now.  We didn't get a request in early enough to get White House tour.

Pictures on Twitter are nuts this morning.  Made it to my office around 8:30, so I guess I thankfully just missed the deluge.  

Don't know that I've ever seen a Monday morning rush hour quite like the one this morning. In addition to the usual stuff around Rock Creek Park, I'm hearing about multiple trapped cars on the Clara Barton Parkway. 

Don't know that I've ever seen a Monday morning rush hour quite like the one this morning. In addition to the usual stuff around Rock Creek Park, I'm hearing about multiple trapped cars on the Clara Barton Parkway. 
Seeing a lot of reports of trapped cars in Northern Virginia too, like the GW Parkway.  Saw this pic of Penn and 15th by the White House.   ETA: Tweet said Penn, but looks like Constitution.

DC was great.  Not quite the energy of Chicago, but it has a piece of that vibe.

The Occidental stood out for us as the preferred lunch option (x3).  All Purpose Shaw (x2) and Le Diplomate were great.  Bolt Burger and Calico were decent.  Capitol Burger and Brasserie Beck sucked.  I'm not easily scared, but the McDonald's in Chinatown (kids wanted a shake)... jesus.

The museums were amazing - in order I'd go Spy, Natural History, Air & Space, American History, Sculpture Garden, African American, Portrait.  Monument/Memorials great.  Arlington Cemetery was moving and memorable.  My god the WWII memorial/fountain hit the spot... feet in the cold water for 10 minutes saved the day.

Marriott Marquis upgraded us to the best suite in the building (top floor corner facing west with 270 degree views), worked out great for the rainy 4th fireworks watching.  The crowds at the Mall were fun.

Really the only let down was getting to the Lincoln Memorial to find it had closed 20 minutes prior to secure it for Trump the next day... Maybe would have skipped Library of Congress if I knew then what I know now.  We didn't get a request in early enough to get White House tour.
Summer is not the best time to be in DC for it's 'vibe.' Things tend to be a bit slower with the college students gone, Congress out of session, and people just generally on vacation. Better time for commuting though!

A humble suggestion for my fellow DC sports fans-

You should watch/follow the Mystics for the rest of this season. They are really really good, and even more entertaining than they are good, as these numbers show. Their PPG average is similar to or higher than the highest-scoring college teams in the country over the same 40 minute period and they move the ball like the pre-Durant Warriors. They're probably close to 50/50 to win the WNBA Championship, which conveniently will take place in early/mid-October just as the Nats season is ending, the Skins season is falling apart and the Wiz and Caps are just getting underway.

They also have the presumptive MVP of the league in Elena Della Donne. She is comfortably on pace for a 50/40/90 season. She also has one of the more remarkable, bizarre and under-reported talents I've ever seen in sports: as far as I can tell she is the best free throw shooter in the history of professional basketball by a huge margin.

Also the tickets are cheap and the facility is small, fan-friendly and metro-accessible.  Plus you get to support women's sports, which is something to feel good about and share with your kids. My four year old daughter perks up whenever she sees them on the TV instead of men's sports.  My bet is you'll be surprised at the level of play, especially Della Donne who hits difficult shots with regularity. Good stuff all around.

Regular season ends in about 3 weeks, there's a couple home games left. After that they'll presumably get a bye and then start their playoff run in mid/late September.

You should watch/follow the Mystics for the rest of this season. They are really really good, and even more entertaining than they are good, as these numbers show. Their PPG average is similar to or higher than the highest-scoring college teams in the country over the same 40 minute period and they move the ball like the pre-Durant Warriors. They're probably close to 50/50 to win the WNBA Championship, which conveniently will take place in early/mid-October just as the Nats season is ending, the Skins season is falling apart and the Wiz and Caps are just getting underway.

They also have the presumptive MVP of the league in Elena Della Donne. She is comfortably on pace for a 50/40/90 season. She also has one of the more remarkable, bizarre and under-reported talents I've ever seen in sports: as far as I can tell she is the best free throw shooter in the history of professional basketball by a huge margin.

Also the tickets are cheap and the facility is small, fan-friendly and metro-accessible.  Plus you get to support women's sports, which is something to feel good about and share with your kids. My four year old daughter perks up whenever she sees them on the TV instead of men's sports.  My bet is you'll be surprised at the level of play, especially Della Donne who hits difficult shots with regularity. Good stuff all around.

Regular season ends in about 3 weeks, there's a couple home games left. After that they'll presumably get a bye and then start their playoff run in mid/late September.
Thanks for the suggestion. My son enjoyed the GW games that I took him to last year and sounds like similar small, family-friendly experience.

What is the parking situation like there?   Google Maps' satellite view looks a bit out of date.  Metro has been closed down in Alexandria for the past couple of months.  I suppose I could drive to Branch Ave and Metro from there though.

Thanks for the suggestion. My son enjoyed the GW games that I took him to last year and sounds like similar small, family-friendly experience.

What is the parking situation like there?   Google Maps' satellite view looks a bit out of date.  Metro has been closed down in Alexandria for the past couple of months.  I suppose I could drive to Branch Ave and Metro from there though.
Not sure, we took the metro. The walk from the station to the game went through what seemed like a spacious parking lot with plenty of room, but I can't be sure.

Right on cue, Kevin Pelton has a write-up about the Mystics' under-the-radar dominance on ESPN today:

Washington Mystics could be one of the best WNBA teams ever

If you're looking for an entry point, tonight's 7 PM game against LA on ESPN2 is perfect. National TV, home game, playing another very good team that has a couple players most casual sports fans will recognize (Candace Parker and ESPN NBA analyst Chiney Ogwumike). Mystics will be missing their second-best player (Wizards assistant coach Kristi Tolliver) but that probably just evens things out.

Also the Nationals are -340 vs the Os tonight, so hopefully that won't be much of a game ;)

The Chevy Chase dog park story in the Post today is triggering an entirely justified social media frenzy. 

I think my favorite part is the woman who says the troublemakers seem to be coming across the line from the District, as if the visitors are dog owners from deep in the 'hood rather than just fellow millionaires crossing Western Ave.  She then says the visitors are "taking the spots where the family liked their lawn maintenance service to park."  I can't even wrap my head around how out of touch someone has to be to say that to a Washington Post reporter without realizing how bad it will make them look.

The Chevy Chase dog park story in the Post today is triggering an entirely justified social media frenzy. 

I think my favorite part is the woman who says the troublemakers seem to be coming across the line from the District, as if the visitors are dog owners from deep in the 'hood rather than just fellow millionaires crossing Western Ave.  
True Military Rd. soldiers like me have Persian cats anyway.

I think my favorite part is the woman who says the troublemakers seem to be coming across the line from the District, as if the visitors are dog owners from deep in the 'hood rather than just fellow millionaires crossing Western Ave.  She then says the visitors are "taking the spots where the family liked their lawn maintenance service to park."  I can't even wrap my head around how out of touch someone has to be to say that to a Washington Post reporter without realizing how bad it will make them look.
Chevy Chase Village Board voted to disestablish the dog park.

I actually side with the 1%ers on the dog park. 

Went to the WW2/mall with my dog for the first time. Haven’t been down their since they built it and hadnt walked around the reflecting pool since I was a kid. 

Pretty overwhelming but very therapeutic.

Users who are viewing this thread