Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
dgreen

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread

Recommended Posts

Can they move it near my house? Have to drive 15-20 minutes to get to a dog park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually side with the 1%ers on the dog park. 

 

Went to the WW2/mall with my dog for the first time. Haven’t been down their since they built it and hadnt walked around the reflecting pool since I was a kid. 

Pretty overwhelming but very therapeutic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any recommended lunch spots in Fredericksburg, VA with a good craft beer selection?  I was looking at Capital Ale House. Planning on going down for a day of history at the battlefield, Chatham Manor, and Ferry Farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw that the climate change protestors will be out during the morning commute tomorrow. Ugh — I mean, I support their underlying cause and like seeing young people active and enthusiastic about causes, but twice in one week may require some slowing of their roll, and there are a lot more effective ways than blocking intersections and traffic when 99.9% of the people they are impacting can do relatively squat about the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If yesterday was not heart-pounding enough, deciding Game 5 of the WNBA Finals tonight.  Game 4 was pretty fun to watch to see the Mystics make a game of it after the halftime deficit.

Definitely pulling for the Mystics, but will be happy for GW Colonials great Jonquel Jones if Connecticut gets the title.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see Mystics pull this out then have Della Donne throw out the first pitch in the first NLCS game in Washington. Very cool to see the Caps-Nats lovefest reciprocated from when the Nats got on the Caps bandwagon.

My favorite part is knowing that Snyder was very unhappy about the Caps' championship and must be equally seething over the Nats' success. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My youngest was interested in game 4 and we watched most of the second half. He knew who several of the players. I'll be at my daughter's volleyball game tonight, but they'll likely lose in three and then I'll watch the rest of game 5 if my son is watching.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Would love to see Mystics pull this out then have Della Donne throw out the first pitch in the first NLCS game in Washington. Very cool to see the Caps-Nats lovefest reciprocated from when the Nats got on the Caps bandwagon.

My favorite part is knowing that Snyder was very unhappy about the Caps' championship and must be equally seething over the Nats' success. 

Reminds me of this tweet that I saw this last night...

Zach Pereles @zach_pereles

Don’t talk trash on the DC teams...

The Nationals WON A PLAYOFF SERIES

The Capitals ARE ONE OF THE BEST NHL TEAMS AND 2018 CHAMPS

The Wizards FIRED ERNIE GRUNFELD

The Redskins

The Mystics ARE ONE WIN AWAY FROM A WNBA CHAMPIONSHIP

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all of you Nats fans in here.  Crazy win and a big "getting over the hump" moment.

I have to say I am rooting against your team though. I have listened to the Sports Junkies on podcast for years.  They are unlistenable when celebrating a good team/result.  Nothing but homerism and terrible callers.  Last year's Caps run was interminable.  

So I'm genuinely happy for you dudes in here, but sad selfishly.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, facook said:

Congrats to all of you Nats fans in here.  Crazy win and a big "getting over the hump" moment.

I have to say I am rooting against your team though. I have listened to the Sports Junkies on podcast for years.  They are unlistenable when celebrating a good team/result.  Nothing but homerism and terrible callers.  Last year's Caps run was interminable.  

So I'm genuinely happy for you dudes in here, but sad selfishly.  :) 

I would just stop that sentence after saying they are unlistenable.  Then you can root for Nats without remorse.  Win-win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I would just stop that sentence after saying they are unlistenable.  Then you can root for Nats without remorse.  Win-win.

Just illustrates how terrible sports talk radio is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headed to DC next weekend for the 49ers vs redskins game. We are staying in the DuPont circle area. Any recommendations on local bars/restaurants  we should check out?

 

TIA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derek19 said:

Headed to DC next weekend for the 49ers vs redskins game. We are staying in the DuPont circle area. Any recommendations on local bars/restaurants  we should check out?

TIA!

If you're coming for a good time in a different city, then DC is the place. If you're coming to have a great experience going to an NFL game, you should wait and come when the 49ers play in Baltimore on Dec. 1. 

Why kind of food/place are you looking for, and what's your price range for restaurants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

If yesterday was not heart-pounding enough, deciding Game 5 of the WNBA Finals tonight.  Game 4 was pretty fun to watch to see the Mystics make a game of it after the halftime deficit.

Definitely pulling for the Mystics, but will be happy for GW Colonials great Jonquel Jones if Connecticut gets the title.

I'm going to the Mystics game tonight, after obviously staying up until 3 AM yesterday watching and rewatching all the Nats-related goodness. I was thinking it was gonna hopefully be a panacea following another Game 5 heartbreak, now I feel utterly exhausted but also somehow invincible.

ESPN2 at 8 PM, for those who don't know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Man said:

If you're coming for a good time in a different city, then DC is the place. If you're coming to have a great experience going to an NFL game, you should wait and come when the 49ers play in Baltimore on Dec. 1. 

Why kind of food/place are you looking for, and what's your price range for restaurants?

The reason we are coming to DC is the football game but we are flying in Friday morning. So we will pretty much have all day Friday and Saturday to enjoy the city. I know the game against Baltimore would be better to see but the wife doesn't like the cold. She's only experienced the Memphis winters. 

As far as food, we not picky so we are open to anything. We just want to try some local spots. Also, if you can recommend any tap rooms or breweries to visit, that would be great as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, derek19 said:

The reason we are coming to DC is the football game but we are flying in Friday morning. So we will pretty much have all day Friday and Saturday to enjoy the city. I know the game against Baltimore would be better to see but the wife doesn't like the cold. She's only experienced the Memphis winters. 

As far as food, we not picky so we are open to anything. We just want to try some local spots. Also, if you can recommend any tap rooms or breweries to visit, that would be great as well. 

You can't go wrong in DuPont Circle and, especially, Adams Morgan.  Since you are already in DuPont, I'd say to walk up to Adams Morgan is the place to go.  I'll leave it to some of the more hip guys for suggestions of bars. In my younger days, Madams Organ was a quality place to hit.  Dunno if it is still up and kicking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derek19 said:

The reason we are coming to DC is the football game but we are flying in Friday morning. So we will pretty much have all day Friday and Saturday to enjoy the city. I know the game against Baltimore would be better to see but the wife doesn't like the cold. She's only experienced the Memphis winters. 

As far as food, we not picky so we are open to anything. We just want to try some local spots. Also, if you can recommend any tap rooms or breweries to visit, that would be great as well. 

For a more upscale restaurant, could look at Rasika West End or Blue Duck Tavern, kind of south Dupont/north Foggy Bottom.  Kramerbooks if you want a bit more of a DC institution and not as fancy (and fondly recall where Monica Lewinsky shopped).

My knowledge of Dupont and Adams Morgan bars are mostly from the undergrad days, with the restrooms that smelled of vomit.  But I'm sure there are better places than those that I used to visit.  Out of that area, could look at ChurchKey on 14th for a taproom, and Blue Jacket by Nats Park for a brewery (both sister restaurants).

But I do most of eating/drinking south of the Potomac these days, so others can probably fill in with better options.  My favorite brewery in the area is Aslin Beer Co., but it's in Alexandria and probably not worth getting to from downtown without a car.

Edited by Don Quixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just moved to NOVA back in August. Getting used to the area and the traffic. Talking to my neighbor today about the upcoming winter. He said a typical winter will be 6 - 8 inches of snow for the entire season. He said there are exceptions (he remembered a storm with multiple feet of snow) but not much snow is typical. You all agree? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Just moved to NOVA back in August. Getting used to the area and the traffic. Talking to my neighbor today about the upcoming winter. He said a typical winter will be 6 - 8 inches of snow for the entire season. He said there are exceptions (he remembered a storm with multiple feet of snow) but not much snow is typical. You all agree? 

Welcome to the City of Champions. 

That’s probably close to average. But I think we have quite a bit of year-to-year variation. We can have winters with like 1-2 inches total and others where we get a couple really big storms. Either way, expect traffic to be 10x worse for each inch of snow. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 11:52 AM, Don Quixote said:

Reminds me of this tweet that I saw this last night...

Zach Pereles @zach_pereles

Don’t talk trash on the DC teams...

The Nationals WON A PLAYOFF SERIES

The Capitals ARE ONE OF THE BEST NHL TEAMS AND 2018 CHAMPS

The Wizards FIRED ERNIE GRUNFELD

The Redskins

The Mystics ARE ONE WIN AWAY FROM A WNBA CHAMPIONSHIP

Similar but maybe even funnier:

https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/1182730768260485120

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much do you guys figure WS tickets would cost if the Nationals get there?

I am almost exactly halfway between DC and St Louis and am an Astro fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, The_Man said:

Would love to see Mystics pull this out then have Della Donne throw out the first pitch in the first NLCS game in Washington. Very cool to see the Caps-Nats lovefest reciprocated from when the Nats got on the Caps bandwagon.

My favorite part is knowing that Snyder was very unhappy about the Caps' championship and must be equally seething over the Nats' success. 

All still relevant. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 1:46 PM, derek19 said:

Headed to DC next weekend for the 49ers vs redskins game. 

Sorry about the weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, NREC34 said:

How much do you guys figure WS tickets would cost if the Nationals get there?

I am almost exactly halfway between DC and St Louis and am an Astro fan. 

Last I looked $700+ to stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Last I looked $700+ to stand.

Coming down some 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, The_Man said:
On 10/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, The_Man said:

Would love to see Mystics pull this out then have Della Donne throw out the first pitch in the first NLCS game in Washington. Very cool to see the Caps-Nats lovefest reciprocated from when the Nats got on the Caps bandwagon.

My favorite part is knowing that Snyder was very unhappy about the Caps' championship and must be equally seething over the Nats' success. 

All still relevant. 

Great story with suggestions about who should do first pitches for the Nats Home Games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, dgreen said:

Sorry about the weather. 

Man that was rough. We definitely did not come prepared for that type of weather. It was still fun though. The weather on Friday and Saturday was awesome so we got to see a lot of the sites we wanted to see. Yesterday was a beautiful day as well so we decided to ride the scooters around and bar hop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, Apple Jack said:

Last I looked $700+ to stand.

Keep waiting for the price to drop a bit, but still holding around $700 for Game 3.  Game 4 seems to have gone up to $750 (maybe people paying a little bit more on the chance of some type of informal event with a festive atmosphere after the game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A parade honoring the Washington Nationals is set for Saturday afternoon in Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser announced early Thursday after the team won the World Series.

The parade will begin at 2 p.m. at the corner of Constitution Avenue NW at 15th Street, the mayor’s office said. The parade will then proceed east along Constitution Avenue NW and end on Pennsylvania Avenue NW at 3rd Street NW, where there will be a rally for the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope you guys really phillyd the heck out of it and burned stuff and punched riot patrol horses and stuff take that to the bank brohans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

I really enjoyed the Caps win, but baseball has always been my favorite sport.

Wanted to quote this post from the Nats thread into this one. How do other DC fans compare the two? For me, Caps>Nats but last night was still really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw on Twitter that Washington Post is selling the stadium edition in their lobby, in case of interest to anyone downtown. Think I’m going to walk down during lunch.

ETA: Just got back from there. You can get 3 for $5. Also selling protective sleeves for $1 each and have bags, if worried about the rain.

Edited by Don Quixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Saw on Twitter that Washington Post is selling the stadium edition in their lobby, in case of interest to anyone downtown. Think I’m going to walk down during lunch.

ETA: Just got back from there. You can get 3 for $5. Also selling protective sleeves for $1 each and have bags, if worried about the rain.

Oh, crap. I meant to swing by Giant this morning to buy a newspaper. Hopefully I can find one somewhere later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumor is Nats might show up with the trophy at tomorrow night’s Caps game 

The sheer likability of both these teams and their mutual enthusiasm for each other has made all of this that much more fun 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Rumor is Nats might show up with the trophy at tomorrow night’s Caps game 

The sheer likability of both these teams and their mutual enthusiasm for each other has made all of this that much more fun 

I still would have liked for the Caps dog to have done something with one of the first pitch ceremonies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dgreen said:

Oh, crap. I meant to swing by Giant this morning to buy a newspaper. Hopefully I can find one somewhere later today.

If you were unable to get and want something, I have a couple of extras of the souvenir ~8-pager with "CHAMPS!" across the top.  I bought the 3 (because why not), but wife kind of mocked me for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody seen street closures for the parade?  Coming in from Alexandria... I have monthly parking in the Metro Center area, and my wife has parking by L'Enfant.  Thinking our optimal approach is to park by L'Enfant and then either walk or Metro from there (as my usual route to work takes me straight up 14th past Constitution and Penn which may have street closures in effect).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Anybody seen street closures for the parade?  Coming in from Alexandria... I have monthly parking in the Metro Center area, and my wife has parking by L'Enfant.  Thinking our optimal approach is to park by L'Enfant and then either walk or Metro from there (as my usual route to work takes me straight up 14th past Constitution and Penn which may have street closures in effect).

Following up on my own post, I found street closure info here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

If you were unable to get and want something, I have a couple of extras of the souvenir ~8-pager with "CHAMPS!" across the top.  I bought the 3 (because why not), but wife kind of mocked me for it.

That would be awesome. Thanks. 

I didn’t go driving all around last night, but the places I checked were all out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line at Vienna to buy metro passes is bonkers. So glad I added value online before leaving home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.