What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

Dropping in a random mini-review... My wife and I went to The Inn at Little Washington to celebrate our 10th anniversary for our first time there, and, I’ve just got to say, that place is amazing. Service is top notch, and food was incredible. I was always nervous about the price, but worth it. We even got to meet Patrick O’Connell after dinner.  If you want to celebrate a special occasion, it is worth doing at least once in your lifetime.

No posts in here since February; like a pre-covid time capsule... hope everyone is surviving.

Felt like bumping this thread with the Wall news.  It was time to move on (although that first can come back to bite them in a few years), but still a sad day for DC sports. Lots of enjoyment watching Wall over the past decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
No posts in here since February; like a pre-covid time capsule... hope everyone is surviving.

Felt like bumping this thread with the Wall news.  It was time to move on (although that first can come back to bite them in a few years), but still a sad day for DC sports. Lots of enjoyment watching Wall over the past decade.
It’s a lottery-protected pick, so that’s good. 

He was fun to watch but it makes sense to move on from someone with that contact who hasn’t played in a couple years. 

It’s a lottery-protected pick, so that’s good. 

He was fun to watch but it makes sense to move on from someone with that contact who hasn’t played in a couple years. 
Lottery protection is good. I was not clear what the protection was going to be. I could see the Wizards blowing things up before then.

For those in the DMV, apparently the six flags in Landover, MD seems the way to go. You don’t even have to get out of your car and will administer the shot to everyone in the car without question. 

After the first few days of serious line cutting and fighting, the National Guard is out in full force keeping the DB line cutters in check. (We have the worst, most inconsiderate, selfish drivers on earth here.)

We are signing up. 

If any of you are having trouble getting an appointment for a vax shot, my family and I drove to Salisbury, MD to get ours. 

The whole process took 20 minutes, 15 of which was to see if we had a reaction. We didn’t have to get out of the car. 

Here is the link. They have a lot of openings. 

https://massvax.maryland.gov/

ETA - ours was phizer. We received a vax card with our next appointment already set in 3 weeks. 

We (myself, my wife, my 18 year old daughter) pre-registered in VA a couple days ago. No idea how long it will take until we're scheduled, but hoping it's within a few weeks.

If any of you are having trouble getting an appointment for a vax shot, my family and I drove to Salisbury, MD to get ours. 

The whole process took 20 minutes, 15 of which was to see if we had a reaction. We didn’t have to get out of the car. 

Here is the link. They have a lot of openings. 

https://massvax.maryland.gov/

ETA - ours was phizer. We received a vax card with our next appointment already set in 3 weeks. 

Oh- you have to put in a zip code that’s on that side of the bridge (Salisbury is 21804)

We (myself, my wife, my 18 year old daughter) pre-registered in VA a couple days ago. No idea how long it will take until we're scheduled, but hoping it's within a few weeks.
I pre-registered with VA a month or so ago when they allowed pre-registration for all over 18. Virginia supposed to open up appointments to all starting April 18th.  Maybe I'll look at Maryland with the SB link now that they are open up similarly. I've seen scattered appointments at CVS in my area when checking my phone at 6am or so, but I haven't been eligible to claim it.  I guess we'll see what happens once they open up to more.

I got an e-mail from City of Alexandria this morning to schedule mine.  Now scheduled for tomorrow. I'm phase 2 (18-64 with no comorbidities or employed in any of the prioritized industries/sectors).  Hopefully you are not far behind.

I got an e-mail from City of Alexandria this morning to schedule mine.  Now scheduled for tomorrow. I'm phase 2 (18-64 with no comorbidities or employed in any of the prioritized industries/sectors).  Hopefully you are not far behind.
A friend of ours heard that a mass vaccination clinic in Hagerstown has had many open spots and she got and appointment today. They are doing the JJ vaccine, which would be nice. My wife is going to see if she can get us in there. That might be a good option for any of you on the western side of the metro area.

My wife, daughter, and I have appointments for tomorrow afternoon in Hagerstown. 
We had signed up for JJ, but just went ahead and got first Pfizer dose today in Hagerstown. Hoping we can do second dose somewhere closer, but at least it’s a nice drive out there. 

Went for a ride through the city a few months ago and I continue to be blown away by the development between 395 and the Anacostia. Every block is a condo building now. Where are all of these people going to come from? And if local, how is that going to impact real estate and rental markets?

Went for a ride through the city a few months ago and I continue to be blown away by the development between 395 and the Anacostia. Every block is a condo building now. Where are all of these people going to come from? And if local, how is that going to impact real estate and rental markets?
No idea what the rental market is doing, but you can actually see the fiery trail from Cape Canaveral as far as SFHs go.

Just drove through the area for the first time in a while. I used to be there quite a bit for work so I was used to seeing the area slowly change. Being back there for the first time in a long time, there was definitely a noticeable change. A lot of the stuff that used to be under construction seems to be done. I wasn't specifically looking for it, but now that I think about it, I don't remember a lot of cranes like I used to see. But, like I said, I wasn't looking for that, so I could have just overlooked it. I can't imagine it's built-out yet, so I assume there's still a lot of activity coming up.

It looks like DC's population has been driven by natural growth (births minus deaths) and immigration the last couple years. Domestic migration has actually been a net loss for DC in the most recent data (2019). Growth is slower the last few years than it was earlier in the 2010s. I assume 2020 data will be out soon.

Any suggestions on rental location for a young couple moving to the area in July? He in Rockville, MD. She in the capitol area. Starter salaries around $110k/yr. Luckily no school payments for now and foreseeable future. I believe the closer to capitol on their budget the better to give him the longer commute and get by with one vehicle. Thanks and go WFT!

Any suggestions on rental location for a young couple moving to the area in July? He in Rockville, MD. She in the capitol area. Starter salaries around $110k/yr. Luckily no school payments for now and foreseeable future. I believe the closer to capitol on their budget the better to give him the longer commute and get by with one vehicle. Thanks and go WFT!
$110k combined?

If his work is within walking distance of the Rockville metro station, then maybe look for something near the Woodley Park or Cleveland Park metro stations. Maybe even Van Ness or Tenleytown stations. 

What is the “Capitol area”?  As in Downtown, the Capital building? 

Driving to Rockville from DC will be far easier than driving to DC from Rockville. Almost always. 

$110k combined?
Yes. New job for both. 24 year olds. Those two areas seem like good suggestions.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
What is the “Capitol area”?  As in Downtown, the Capital building? 

Driving to Rockville from DC will be far easier than driving to DC from Rockville. Almost always. 

Yep, she'll be in the Cap Building. That's what they were thinking as far as commute directions. Let him make the trek out to Rockville each day. She's not sure what hours will be like as an aide. He'll be an 8-5 er.

I think dgreen’s were good selections. NW DC on the Red line seems to make the most sense and convenient for both (easy transfer at Metro Center to get to Capitol Hill).

Yes. New job for both. 24 year olds. Those two areas seem like good suggestions.

Yep, she'll be in the Cap Building. That's what they were thinking as far as commute directions. Let him make the trek out to Rockville each day. She's not sure what hours will be like as an aide. He'll be an 8-5 er.
Did they find a place??

Sweet J said:
Did they find a place??
Thanks for asking. They ended up around 2000 Massachusetts near Dupont Circle. He hasn't been called back to office so it has worked well. For reference, $1740 for 700+ sf. Not too bad for dinks.

dgreen said:
I remembered this morning that my shovel broke last year. Oops.

Hope you were able to find one.

My cable has been down, but at least still have power (power still out a few blocks over from me). Lots of trees down -- I shook/shoveled some snow off a few trees yesterday, but not before losing some branches.

I guess also good that I was not traveling down 95 yesterday, reading the reports about cars stuck for 15 hours.

Broke out the snow blower yesterday. Not because the snow warranted it, but be cause other than starting it up for 5 minutes each fall, I haven't used the damn thing in years. Ended up helping the new neighbors across the street who has a really big driveway. 

I think I just heard on the radio some people have been stuck on 95 for over 24 hours.
Looks like it’s Fredericksburg - Is there a worse stretch of 95 than that? 

We went to visit my wife’s cousin up that way about 10 years ago. It was roughly a 60 miles drive and took us 6 hours to get there. About 3 hours to get back. I told her never again. 

Looks like it’s Fredericksburg - Is there a worse stretch of 95 than that? 

We went to visit my wife’s cousin up that way about 10 years ago. It was roughly a 60 miles drive and took us 6 hours to get there. About 3 hours to get back. I told her never again. 
Yeah, sounds like there's about 50-60 miles of 95 that are blocked off. There are portions within that stretch that are open but a lot of it is closed. Route 1 looks like a parking lot from Lorton to Fredericksburg.

My daughter is lining up babysitting jobs this summer and people are asking her how much she charges. So, what are typical DC area hourly rates? Let’s say for two elementary school kids. 

My daughter is lining up babysitting jobs this summer and people are asking her how much she charges. So, what are typical DC area hourly rates? Let’s say for two elementary school kids. 

I'm not sure, but I'm in the market for a babysitter on Saturday night if you're anywhere close to Brookland! DM if you are.

I don't know the going rate bc we usually hire our kids' teachers and throw way too much money at them to supplement their horrifically low salaries (Sat night is a school event). 

I'm not sure, but I'm in the market for a babysitter on Saturday night if you're anywhere close to Brookland! DM if you are.

I don't know the going rate bc we usually hire our kids' teachers and throw way too much money at them to supplement their horrifically low salaries (Sat night is a school event). 
Nope, we are out in VA, plus she already has something lined up for Saturday. 

I feel like I paid about $20/hour back when I used to do fun stuff that needed a babysitter, but it has been awhile, as mostly shut in the past 2 years. With inflation, I could see around $25/hour now, but I don’t have practical experience.

I think there are websites that you could check for babysitters in area and see what sort of rates they charge to get a feel.

A humble suggestion for my fellow DC sports fans-

You should watch/follow the Mystics for the rest of this season. They are really really good, and even more entertaining than they are good, as these numbers show. Their PPG average is similar to or higher than the highest-scoring college teams in the country over the same 40 minute period and they move the ball like the pre-Durant Warriors. They're probably close to 50/50 to win the WNBA Championship, which conveniently will take place in early/mid-October just as the Nats season is ending, the Skins season is falling apart and the Wiz and Caps are just getting underway.

They also have the presumptive MVP of the league in Elena Della Donne. She is comfortably on pace for a 50/40/90 season. She also has one of the more remarkable, bizarre and under-reported talents I've ever seen in sports: as far as I can tell she is the best free throw shooter in the history of professional basketball by a huge margin.

Also the tickets are cheap and the facility is small, fan-friendly and metro-accessible.  Plus you get to support women's sports, which is something to feel good about and share with your kids. My four year old daughter perks up whenever she sees them on the TV instead of men's sports.  My bet is you'll be surprised at the level of play, especially Della Donne who hits difficult shots with regularity. Good stuff all around.

Regular season ends in about 3 weeks, there's a couple home games left. After that they'll presumably get a bye and then start their playoff run in mid/late September.

Following up on my own post three years later ... if you're looking for a fun local pro sports team this summer, our local NWSL franchise, the Spirit, is worth checking out.

They won the league championship last year after a fairly pedestrian regular season, and this year they're off to a fairly slow start that can possibly be attributed to a busy schedule. But as far as I can tell everyone expects them to easily contend this year. And like the Mystics of yesteryear, they are good because they're ridiculous on offense where have the league's most exciting talent, Trinity Rodman. She was the youngest draftee ever and signed the biggest deal in league history.

They play some games at Audi Field, and others out in Leesburg. Worth the effort to check them out this year if Rodman is in the lineup. Especially if you have daughters, or soccer-playing children of any gender, or just want to see a local pro team do well given the fairly bleak short term outlook for the four major men's pro squads in the area.

Did anyone in the DC region hear/feel the big boom this afternoon a little after 3pm? Story I’m hearing is a military plane did an approved flyover the region and broke the sound barrier. There are those out there on social media saying no way and that the government is covering something up.

I thought a car crashed into my house!

Multiple D.C. government sources told News4 fighter jets were scrambled to intercept a Cessna Citation jet that flew over Washington, D.C., causing the sonic boom. That jet "crashed into mountainous terrain in a sparsely populated area of southwest Virginia," according to the FAA, in Nelson County, Virginia.

Going end of July for a karate tournament. Should have most of Sunday free to do whatever and maybe a little time on Friday evening

1. What should I make sure to see in that time? Kids are 10 and 11 yr old boys

2. What’s a good local food option? Nothing too fancy maybe best burger or something like that?

1. What should I make sure to see in that time? Kids are 10 and 11 yr old boys
At those ages definitely hit the natural history museum. Then work your way down to the Lincoln Monument. If the aerospace museum is open hit that (it was closed last time I was there, hopefully back open).

Users who are viewing this thread