What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth said:
Mallet is just a backup. Nothing to see here.
Any other QB in the league would be a backup to Brady. Mallett is starting QB materiel, and I hope he stick around NE long enough to be theirs.

Sabertooth said:
Any other QB in the league would be a backup to Brady. Mallett is starting QB materiel, and I hope he stick around NE long enough to be theirs.
Not Rodgers.
Depends on the system, if Brady was in Green Bay I bet he would be the back up, if Rodgers was in New England I bet he would be the back up. The true test would be if they were both free agents and both signed with the same team... but we all know that we will never find out that answer

Sabertooth said:
Not Rodgers.
Favre held onto his job through age 38 despite having two sub-par seasons (2005 and 2006) in Rodgers' 1st and 2nd years.

Mallett was drafted too early by the Pats (Brady was 34 his rookie year) for him to take over. If the Pats had drafted Rodgers he'd still be holding the clipboard the way Mallett is.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett's arm continues to draw rave reviews at Patriots practices.
The 6'6/238 Mallett is stuck behind Tom Brady once again this season, but his name continues to pop up as a potential NFL starter down the line. He'll be a free agent following the 2014 season. "He's got arm strength like I've never seen. Ever. He uses that really well," teammate Shane Vereen said.

Source: ESPN Boston

Not Rodgers.
Favre held onto his job through age 38 despite having two sub-par seasons (2005 and 2006) in Rodgers' 1st and 2nd years. Mallett was drafted too early by the Pats (Brady was 34 his rookie year) for him to take over. If the Pats had drafted Rodgers he'd still be holding the clipboard the way Mallett is.
no he wouldnt

Not Rodgers.
Favre held onto his job through age 38 despite having two sub-par seasons (2005 and 2006) in Rodgers' 1st and 2nd years. Mallett was drafted too early by the Pats (Brady was 34 his rookie year) for him to take over. If the Pats had drafted Rodgers he'd still be holding the clipboard the way Mallett is.
no he wouldnt
:lmao:

Rodgers is younger, has won a Super Bowl within the past 3 seasons, and makes more money than Brady. Rodgers is arguably the best player in the NFL. I can't think of a player making more money than him. No way he rides the pine for Brady or anyone else. He forced a legend out the door in Green Bay and he'd have done the same in New England by now. Either that or he'd be playing elsewhere.

Rodgers is younger, has won a Super Bowl within the past 3 seasons, and makes more money than Brady. Rodgers is arguably the best player in the NFL. I can't think of a player making more money than him. No way he rides the pine for Brady or anyone else. He forced a legend out the door in Green Bay and he'd have done the same in New England by now. Either that or he'd be playing elsewhere.
Some revisionist history. Favre retired, then Rodgers took over and they didn't want a mess when Favre decided not to retire, as I recall.

Has the Pats drafted Rodgers, he'd be starting for another team after his contract ran out, or he'd still be sitting behind Brady.

Some revisionist history. Favre retired, then Rodgers took over and they didn't want a mess when Favre decided not to retire, as I recall.

Has the Pats drafted Rodgers, he'd be starting for another team after his contract ran out, or he'd still be sitting behind Brady.
Yeah, why do you think the Packers didn't want that mess? Maybe because they had an aging QB who hadn't delivered in over a decade....hmmm.

One can set their off season watch to the hype machine concerning the Pats #2 QB.

The Boston Pravda:

"Insert Name" is looking incredible in OTA's. He could be the starter on 15 teams. My sources say he could possibly be pried away for a 2nd rounder...

:huh:

Seems to me that you're the revisionist. If I'm not mistaken - and I'm not - Favre in fact unretired and was on the roster at the Packers' training camp in August of 2008 when GB chose Rodgers over Favre by trading Favre to the Jets.

Seems to me that you're the revisionist. If I'm not mistaken - and I'm not - Favre in fact unretired and was on the roster at the Packers' training camp in August of 2008 when GB chose Rodgers over Favre by trading Favre to the Jets.
Rodgers is likely the best QB in the NFL right now. If the pats had drafted him, he would be on the Bench behind Brady or on another team.

Rodgers sat the bench for 3 years before the Packers finally decided to give him a chance. It wasn't until his 4th year when Favre was 39 that they decided to let him start.

It's pretty delusional to think Rodgers would beat out a 36 yo Brady who is coming off 4 straight Pro Bowl seasons.

Some revisionist history. Favre retired, then Rodgers took over and they didn't want a mess when Favre decided not to retire, as I recall.Has the Pats drafted Rodgers, he'd be starting for another team after his contract ran out, or he'd still be sitting behind Brady.

Rodgers sat the bench for 3 years before the Packers finally decided to give him a chance. It wasn't until his 4th year when Favre was 39 that they decided to let him start.It's pretty delusional to think Rodgers would beat out a 36 yo Brady who is coming off 4 straight Pro Bowl seasons.
If you say so. Forgive me if I disagree

One can set their off season watch to the hype machine concerning the Pats #2 QB.

The Boston Pravda:

"Insert Name" is looking incredible in OTA's. He could be the starter on 15 teams. My sources say he could possibly be pried away for a 2nd rounder...
I think Mallett is a different beast compared to the likes of Hoyer and Cassell.

He was a dominant college player, a relatively high draft pick (despite character concerns), and has a cannon for an arm.

I've been stashing him in several leagues for years under the belief that it's only a matter of time until he gets an opportunity to start somewhere.

The Boston Pravda:

I think Mallett is a different beast compared to the likes of Hoyer and Cassell.

He was a dominant college player, a relatively high draft pick (despite character concerns), and has a cannon for an arm.

I've been stashing him in several leagues for years under the belief that it's only a matter of time until he gets an opportunity to start somewhere.
My issue with Mallett is he didn't really dominate the good teams like Bama, LSU, USC, and OSU. His numbers were patted against weak teams.

The Boston Pravda:

My issue with Mallett is he didn't really dominate the good teams like Bama, LSU, USC, and OSU. His numbers were patted against weak teams.
Arkansas was a weak team.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Boston Pravda:

this just isn't true,

in 2010 vs Georgia on the road - 380 yards and 3 tds

in 2010 vs LSU - 320 yards and 3tds and a win

in 2010 vs Texas A&M on the road - 310 yards 3td and win

in the bowl games vs ohio state 270 yards and 2tds, a loss

he threw for 357 and 1td and 3int vs bama

not sure you even looked at his stats

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
ShaHBucks said:
EBF said:

The Boston Pravda:

this just isn't true,

in 2010 vs Georgia on the road - 380 yards and 3 tds

in 2010 vs LSU - 320 yards and 3tds and a win

in 2010 vs Texas A&M on the road - 310 yards 3td and win

in the bowl games vs ohio state 270 yards and 2tds, a loss

he threw for 357 and 1td and 3int vs bama

not sure you even looked at his stats
I was listing his tougher games. In comparison to what he was doing vs Tennessee Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP, and Vandy (2-10) there was a big drop off when you look at his TD, INTs, and yards/TDs per pass attempt. Great Qb's usually keep up the same pace or see a slight dip. Either way he wasn't dominating the better defenses he faced. I think he's good, but I wouldn't say dominate. If he's been groomed well enough to correct some of his decision making on/off the field he could be great. His size and arm strength made him the perfect developmental QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any NE homers have any insight on his 2014 outlook? I've got him on the end of my bench in a lot of leagues. 2014 is his last season under contract with the Patriots, so we're getting into put up or shut up time. Either they shift him to a new team in the offseason while they still have him signed or they let him walk in the summer for no compensation. It seems like next season might finally be the year when we see what he can do.

Belichick knows he's got Brady for a few more years and it looks like the future lies with the mobile qb

I think the Pats unload Mallett for a high number one next year and draft

Oregon QB Marcus Mariota

Yes, I am sure teams are lining up to sign an unproven QB with a college coke habit, in the last year of his deal, and sign him to starter money.

Is one #1 draft pick enough????

Teams (including NE) won't know until he plays. I think NE has the most to lose by playing him. ( and giving Brady a week off with a hurt pinky or whatever they come up with. If they were to clinch and have a "free" game)

I don't see his value being more than a late second or third. Getting a specific player to fill a specific position might be better here.

If he plays and does well, the sky's the limit for what some former fan of his that's a GM will pay.

If he stinks, they probably struggle to even move him at all.

Trying to remember stats from Bob's thread with Bradford...I don't think many QBs in 4th or later have done well. This year is like the year of the undrafted free agent QB so we might be amidst a new trend in the NFL. This will totally mess up the QB market. I don't think backup QBs are properly thought of in value so I think this was inevitable. Vince Young kicking around, Seneca joining and starting....there's guys that should have been out of the league, still around just so they can get the chance to play poorly. Compare that to the energy an unknown FA brings this year and I think change is in the air. We'll see.

i could see maybe a 2nd rounder if a team really liked him. Lomabardi from Cleveland has always liked him so maybe that's a possibility. I doubt anyone would trade a #1.

i could see maybe a 2nd rounder if a team really liked him. Lomabardi from Cleveland has always liked him so maybe that's a possibility. I doubt anyone would trade a #1.
Yeah, that's kinda my take as well. I don't think they could get a 1 for him. He hasn't shown enough. A 2 could be possible. There are always teams with QB needs. It might make more sense to spend your 2nd on Mallett and hope you can plug him in right away than to burn a 1st on a rookie.

If for some reason NE doesn't move him then I think he will sign somewhere with a chance to start in 2015.

Lombardi will do like he did with hoyer. Wait til he's cut and sign him to a two year deal.

There's been a lot of local talk in Houston about taking Clowney and finding a QB that's ready to step in immediately, whether a veteran they sign or trading for a guy in-waiting.

The thought being that Houston isn't far away. Clowney and getting their guys back healthy can make the D borderline elite again. The running game can still be there again, and the passing game has weapons in place.

Mallet could make a lot of sense for the Texans...

There's been a lot of local talk in Houston about taking Clowney and finding a QB that's ready to step in immediately, whether a veteran they sign or trading for a guy in-waiting.

The thought being that Houston isn't far away. Clowney and getting their guys back healthy can make the D borderline elite again. The running game can still be there again, and the passing game has weapons in place.

Mallet could make a lot of sense for the Texans...
Clowney and Watt rushing passer= trouble for AFC South

Was thinking he would be perfect candidate to run bill O'brien offense in Houston. Anyone agree?
if O'Brien goes to Houston I think manziel is his play.
why? O'brien runs patriot style offense, he came up in that system
why can't manziel run a patriots-like system?
He's too short to be a pure pocket passer. Plus, he liks to run.
I doubt he is going to run the exact same system. He took elements of the attack to Penn St and adjusted to his personnel. He'll do the same in Houston.

Was thinking he would be perfect candidate to run bill O'brien offense in Houston. Anyone agree?
if O'Brien goes to Houston I think manziel is his play.
why? O'brien runs patriot style offense, he came up in that system
I'd vote no on that one. O'Brien came to NE in 2007 as an Assistant and took over as OC in 2011 after McDaniels left. If anyone restructured or modernized the Pats offense, it would be McDaniels. Plus they still have plays and formations they use from the Charlie Weis era. Not sure O'Brien is really the mastermind here (although he did do well when handed the keys to the offense).

Users who are viewing this thread