Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
hutchins929

Official Ryan Mallett

Belichick knows he's got Brady for a few more years and it looks like the future lies with the mobile qb

I think the Pats unload Mallett for a high number one next year and draft

Oregon QB Marcus Mariota

No one in their right mind is trading a high number 1 for an unproven Mallet.

• Like 1

Was thinking he would be perfect candidate to run bill O'brien offense in Houston. Anyone agree?

if O'Brien goes to Houston I think manziel is his play.
why? O'brien runs patriot style offense, he came up in that system

I'd vote no on that one. O'Brien came to NE in 2007 as an Assistant and took over as OC in 2011 after McDaniels left. If anyone restructured or modernized the Pats offense, it would be McDaniels. Plus they still have plays and formations they use from the Charlie Weis era. Not sure O'Brien is really the mastermind here (although he did do well when handed the keys to the offense).
you didn't mention his best work yet, the last two years as a head coach.

Any NE homers have any insight on his 2014 outlook? I've got him on the end of my bench in a lot of leagues. 2014 is his last season under contract with the Patriots, so we're getting into put up or shut up time. Either they shift him to a new team in the offseason while they still have him signed or they let him walk in the summer for no compensation. It seems like next season might finally be the year when we see what he can do.

I think his 2014 outlook will be the same as his 2013 outlook and will be the same as his 2015 outlook, if he's still with the Pats. Brady has said, many time, that he wants to play into his 40s. Yes, something could happen to Brady but that type of prediction isn't really a good way to run a roster.

There's been a lot of local talk in Houston about taking Clowney and finding a QB that's ready to step in immediately, whether a veteran they sign or trading for a guy in-waiting.

The thought being that Houston isn't far away. Clowney and getting their guys back healthy can make the D borderline elite again. The running game can still be there again, and the passing game has weapons in place.

Mallet could make a lot of sense for the Texans...

Except for the last point (Mallet going to the Texans), I agree with this.

Was thinking he would be perfect candidate to run bill O'brien offense in Houston. Anyone agree?

I'd vote no on that one. O'Brien came to NE in 2007 as an Assistant and took over as OC in 2011 after McDaniels left. If anyone restructured or modernized the Pats offense, it would be McDaniels. Plus they still have plays and formations they use from the Charlie Weis era. Not sure O'Brien is really the mastermind here (although he did do well when handed the keys to the offense).

The assertion was that he came up with the Patriots system. No one said he didn't do well as HC at PSU.

Belichick knows he's got Brady for a few more years and it looks like the future lies with the mobile qb

I think the Pats unload Mallett for a high number one next year and draft

Oregon QB Marcus Mariota

No one in their right mind is trading a high number 1 for an unproven Mallet.

It has happened, not often but Packers traded a number 1 for Farve without seeing a lot of him. That is the only one that comes to mind but it has happened.

i could see maybe a 2nd rounder if a team really liked him. Lomabardi from Cleveland has always liked him so maybe that's a possibility. I doubt anyone would trade a #1.

Lombardi will do like he did with hoyer. Wait til he's cut and sign him to a two year deal.
he could possibly trade for Mallett if he's intent on bringing in Josh McDaniels as head coach.

the Browns do have plenty of picks to get a deal done.

The assertion was that he came up with the Patriots system. No one said he didn't do well as HC at PSU.
my point is he took what he knew and adapted it to his players, who played better than the sum of the parts. Pigeon holing him as a patriots system guy is just lazy.

Given its a Mallet thread, my point was simply there's a pathway to his getting a shot in 2014 via Houston and it would fit potentially with the rumors from the team and the rumored new HC.

I would say Chud's firing would also offer a potential second path for Mallet given McDaniels rumors to Cleveland and Lombardi's love for Mallet. I doubt anyone trades a first for him, but a mid-2 or a 3 wouldn't surprise me. Conditional trades based on performance could happen as well.

The overarching point: Mallet's contract expires after the 2014 season, at which point he's an unrestricted FA. NE never lets those types go without compensation. If we believe Brady isn't going anywhere (certainly doesn't seem to be) then it's highly plausible if not probable that Mallet is wearing a different uniform in 2014.

i could see maybe a 2nd rounder if a team really liked him. Lomabardi from Cleveland has always liked him so maybe that's a possibility. I doubt anyone would trade a #1.

Lombardi will do like he did with hoyer. Wait til he's cut and sign him to a two year deal.
he could possibly trade for Mallett if he's intent on bringing in Josh McDaniels as head coach.

the Browns do have plenty of picks to get a deal done.

we also need to use those picks on as many players as possible, or else we will be looking for a new coach again next year. Apparently.

you didn't mention his best work yet, the last two years as a head cowerach.

he spent 4 years entrenched in Patriots offense. That is significant. I didn't watch much of Hackenburg, but a year ago they spread it out and created mismatches all over the field although they took advantage of Mcgloin's mobility although he mostly dropped back and threw the rock. Taking Clowney at 1 overall and then potentially moving 2.1 for Mallett and a later pick back would make sense or maybe 3.01. This team is missing a QB but has everything else in place. Mallett would be a ready made solution

Unless the Texans don't see a franchise qb in this crop they will not do that.

he spent 4 years entrenched in Patriots offense. That is significant. I didn't watch much of Hackenburg, but a year ago they spread it out and created mismatches all over the field although they took advantage of Mcgloin's mobility although he mostly dropped back and threw the rock. Taking Clowney at 1 overall and then potentially moving 2.1 for Mallett and a later pick back would make sense or maybe 3.01. This team is missing a QB but has everything else in place. Mallett would be a ready made solution

I like Mallett going there but 2.01 seems too rich considering they will also have to give him a new contract. The 3.01 seems like something that would work for both sides.

• Like 1

I like Mallett going there but 2.01 seems too rich considering they will also have to give him a new contract. The 3.01 seems like something that would work for both sides.

3.01 with a conditional pick in 2015 depending on how he does makes sense

what if they like Clowney more than the franchise Qb and think hes one of those rare pass rush guys that are always at a premium?

As far as Mallett getting traded for a pick or picks, the Pats used a 3rd rounder to acquire him. If he plays out his contract, they would have invested 4 years of grooming behind Tom Brady and $3 million. Is that worth nothing than trading him for an equivalent pick? Would his value be worth more or less than a QB coming straight out of college?

Also, if he plays out his contract and gets picked up as a starter for decent money elsewhere, NE would likely net a 3rd or 4th round conditional pick anyway. I don't think a high to mid second round pick would be out of the question . . . neither would a late first and a pick going back to his new team.

As far as Mallett getting traded for a pick or picks, the Pats used a 3rd rounder to acquire him. If he plays out his contract, they would have invested 4 years of grooming behind Tom Brady and $3 million. Is that worth nothing than trading him for an equivalent pick? Would his value be worth more or less than a QB coming straight out of college?

Also, if he plays out his contract and gets picked up as a starter for decent money elsewhere, NE would likely net a 3rd or 4th round conditional pick anyway. I don't think a high to mid second round pick would be out of the question . . . neither would a late first and a pick going back to his new team.

i'm following your reasoning, but a first round pick for a guy who's never started a game is way too rich.

i'm following your reasoning, but a first round pick for a guy who's never started a game is way too rich.

Not a straight up first round pick. Something like Mallett and a 3rd rounder in 2015 for a mid to late first in 2014. Not that I see a good trade partner in that range. Might have to be a top 5 pick in the second round instead.

Not a straight up first round pick. Something like Mallett and a 3rd rounder in 2015 for a mid to late first in 2014. Not that I see a good trade partner in that range. Might have to be a top 5 pick in the second round instead.
i wouldn't be shocked if the Browns sent their 2.05 to get this deal done.

I would think the Browns would invest in their own unless it was a 3rd.

what if they like Clowney more than the franchise Qb and think hes one of those rare pass rush guys that are always at a premium?
you can win without a premium pass rusher, you can't without a qb.

the above info is why he won't be traded. Where is the incentive for another team to trade a two or more for him? Is he any better of a bet than the rookie crop? He has to be because he requires paying in a year, not four.

Pats won't move him for less than what they paid for him though, would be silly to.

if they hire McDaniels i could see them paying a premium for Mallett so they can hit the ground running.

if they hire McDaniels i could see them paying a premium for Mallett so they can hit the ground running.

The one thing we don't know is how much man love McDaniels as for Mallett. IIRC, McDaniels was not around when the Pats drafted Mallett. I believe he was with the Rams. So BB drafted Mallett, which I think it has come out that the Pats took him because he fell so far in the draft.

I think the Pats view Mallett as a competent back up but don't think they see him as the heir apparent to Brady. I suspect they will start looking more seriously in finding that guy this year or next year (if they can find him). It will be interesting to see if they target a high profile, early draft pick QB or if they take a flyer on a mid to late round pick and try to develop him and coach him up.

But bottom line, I don't see Mallett resigning with NE. Whether he is still around and becomes a FA is another issue.

won't be mcdaniels decision.

won't be mcdaniels decision.
you're correct.

but Lombardi i believe has already expressed interest in Mallett.

IF they hire McDaniels and IF they like Mallett, i could see them getting a trade done. it would make some sense, since he would already be familiar with his system. they may view this as a shortcut to getting to 8 wins next year to appease a fan base which is rightfully growing impatient with the team.

The front office isn't interested in being average in an attempt to appease the fan base.

The front office isn't interested in being average in an attempt to appease the fan base.

No offense, but how in the world do you know what the FO is interested in, or thinking? Every single Browns fan here was shocked completely by the Chud firing. You know nothing about your FO's vision for the future.

Edited by ConnSKINS26

No offense, but how in the world do you know what the FO is interested in, or thinking? Every single Browns fan here was shocked completely by the Chud firing. You know nothing about your FO's vision for the future.
they haven't made a single decision so far in regards to the feelings of the fanbase. They have a long term vision and are making decisions towards that vision. Short sighted stop gaps are not a part of that plan. They could have added mallett last season if they thought he was the answer, but didn't. Same braintrust is in charge and the only thing that has changed is mallett being one year closer to free agency.

I could see him being added once on the open market, not before then though.

A drafted player is, by definition, one that has never started a game. One that has several years of training by Bill Belichick and Tom Brady has a really god shot to be more useful to a coach that's familiar with Belichicks methods, ways of communicating, etc., than a raw prospect out of college.

EDIT TO ADD: And let's not forget who the OC of the Pats was the year Mallett was drafted. Bill O'Brien. 2 of his former offensive coordinators are going to be looking for a QB. I think there's a good chance the Pats see Cleveland or Houston's second round pick for him. Not a high first, but still a high pick.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

they haven't made a single decision so far in regards to the feelings of the fanbase. They have a long term vision and are making decisions towards that vision. Short sighted stop gaps are not a part of that plan. They could have added mallett last season if they thought he was the answer, but didn't. Same braintrust is in charge and the only thing that has changed is mallett being one year closer to free agency.

I could see him being added once on the open market, not before then though.

This is a pretty good point.

I guess the only difference might be if Mcdaniels comes in as coach and really likes him (and I have no idea if that's the case).

Edited by Tool

A drafted player is, by definition, one that has never started a game. One that has several years of training by Bill Belichick and Tom Brady has a really god shot to be more useful to a coach that's familiar with Belichicks methods, ways of communicating, etc., than a raw prospect out of college.

EDIT TO ADD: And let's not forget who the OC of the Pats was the year Mallett was drafted. Bill O'Brien. 2 of his former offensive coordinators are going to be looking for a QB. I think there's a good chance the Pats see Cleveland or Houston's second round pick for him. Not a high first, but still a high pick.

again, i'm following the reasoning.

but i can't recall a single veteran player that was traded for a first round pick that had never even started a game.

the above info is why he won't be traded. Where is the incentive for another team to trade a two or more for him? Is he any better of a bet than the rookie crop? He has to be because he requires paying in a year, not four.

Pats won't move him for less than what they paid for him though, would be silly to.

I personally feel both of these points are misguided for a few reasons:

1) NFL compensatory picks are largely a crapshoot - they're awarded based on player salary, and whether or not the team they're leaving replaced them with comparable signings. In other words, for the Patriots to be awarded a 3rd round compensatory pick, some team would need to sign Mallet for starter-level money in free agency, likely without having seen him play in extended, regular season action barring a major Brady injury (in which case Mallet likely wouldn't be leaving NE anyway). He would also need to perform well, if I'm not mistaken, as the compensatory system is based not only on the contract received, but player performance for his new team as well. Even if they're fortunate enough to have that happen (which seems highly unlikely to me with the talent coming to the league at the QB position), they would then need to also not replace that talent on the roster. In a super-simplified version of this scenario, let's say Mallet gets a 3 year deal from someone for $7MM per and plays like an all-pro. That may earn the Pats a third, assuming they don't sign anyone themselves. But if they sign a FA themselves, the whole compensatory pick gets a lot more complicated. I just can't see smart NFL franchises counting on the compensatory system and allowing it to direct their actions today. It's the gravy, not the meat and potatoes.

2) Mallet's acquisition cost is irrelevant. Sure, the Pats spent a third rounder on him, and have invested the roster spot, time, and money developing him. The rest of the NFL couldn't care less, and the Patriots realize that his current value is in no way tied to the investment they made in him. Some assets appreciate, others don't. Just because they paid a 3rd to acquire him doesn't mean he'll command a 3rd+ in a trade. Nor does it mean the Patriots would be stupid to trade him for less than that. The truth of the matter is that they've already recouped value from the pick in the insurance should Brady be injured (which we have to presume they're comfortable using Mallet in the event of a Brady injury, given their actions with the depth chart). Insurance isn't a stupid investment just because you don't blow out your knee and require major reconstructive surgery. There's value in the insurance policy. Mallet's provided that...

IMO, there are two clear paths to Mallet getting a clearer path to a starting position in Cleveland and Houston, not to mention other teams likely seeking a QB solution. We've seen the Patriots go down this road before -- they rarely let a player walk for free, especially one they've developed. Do we really believe that NE is going to gamble on the NFL compensatory system and being awarded a pick the following season instead of taking a sure thing now? I certainly don't.

Mallet getting traded is perhaps a long shot, but it's a lot more plausible than some of you are saying.

• Like 2

Not exactly apples to apples, but here were some other trades for QBs . . .

SD traded Charlie Whitehurst (a 3rd round pick) to SEA for a 3rd and a flip flop of picks in the 2nd.

ATL traded Matt Schaub (a 3rd round pick) to HOU for two 2nd rounders.

SEA traded Seneca Wallace (a 4th rounder) to CLE for a 7th round pick.

GB traded Matt Hasselbeck (a 6th rounder) along with their first (17th overall) and seventh-round draft picks to SEA for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks.

ATL traded Brett Favre (a 2nd rounder) to GB for a first.

PHI trade A.J. Feeley (a 5th rounder) to MIA for a 2nd round pick.

CLE traded Charlie Frye ( a 3rd rounder) to SEA for a 6th rounder.

• Like 3

@Gil_Brandt: O'Brien likes big QBs. I could see #Texans trying to trade w #Patriots for Ryan Mallett, going diff direction in draft

Same franchise that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young... Just sayin.

There's been a lot of local talk in Houston about taking Clowney and finding a QB that's ready to step in immediately, whether a veteran they sign or trading for a guy in-waiting.

The thought being that Houston isn't far away. Clowney and getting their guys back healthy can make the D borderline elite again. The running game can still be there again, and the passing game has weapons in place.

Clowney and Watt rushing passer= trouble for AFC South
I would lose a lot of sleep over that decision.

This one too, depending where Gruden lands...

@AlbertBreer: Another thing to remember for Cincy: My understanding is, 4 Gruden, it was down to Dalton & Mallett w/that pick. Mallett might be available.

Clowney and Watt rushing passer= trouble for AFC South

@Gil_Brandt: O'Brien likes big QBs. I could see #Texans trying to trade w #Patriots for Ryan Mallett, going diff direction in draft

Same franchise that drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young... Just sayin.

Bob McNair: Jadeveon Clowney a better athlete than Mario Williams

"He's one of these players who's a once-in-every-10 years kind of physical specimen that comes along. Mario Williams was that way. I think Clowney is actually a better athlete than Mario.

"Like many of these players that have great physical attributes, they didn't have to work as hard in junior high school and high school and in college to be a superlative athlete because they have this natural ability. He's not a J.J. Watt. J.J. didn't have that natural ability. He worked. He developed his. I said, 'J.J., I don't know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.' He said, 'If he's in the same room with me, then he'll have them.'"

:whistle:

It was the right pick, or is that what you meant, cant tell

The team has a history of taking the top Dlineman over the consensus QB, that's what he meant. I subscribe to the argument that Casserly etc. just realized that Young and Leinart weren't franchise QBs.

Taking Clowney and trading for Mallet would be a gutsy call, no doubt.

Lots of potential land mines. Front office cannot whiff with Mallett, the need him to be at least as good as Teddy, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr.

I meant it was the right pick. I also meant this franchise wasn't afraid to swim against the current for a transcendent talent.

For all Bridgewater brings to the table, he's not without risk. We certainly don't need to talk about the risk with JFF.

Clowney is probably the best pure, once-in-a-generation physical talent in the draft. If Watt believes he can instill his motor in Clowney, look out. Those two on any DL would be absolutely terrifying for any team to play against.Not to mention, you're not gonna need your QB to do a whole lot if the D is suffocating and Foster and the running game return.

As strange as it sounds to say, their window isn't exactly closed like you might expect a team with the number 1 pick to be. Houston shouldn't be playing for 3 years down the road. They can win that division next year.

ETA -- to bring it back to Mallet. It's more evidence Houston is seriously considering Clowney, which leaves open the possibility they'll trade for Mallet. They could obviously use a 2nd or 3rd on a QB as well. Hell they could sign Vick - we don't know. But it's still plausible Mallet is playing elsewhere next year given his contract situation, and Houston looks like a fine fit.

Edited by JFS171

So NE will want a 2nd, right?

Not sure they can justify that price... but I would assume that's what they'd ask for. IF we think back, they got the highest 2nd in the draft for Cassel, but he had proven so much more than Mallet did, and they also sent Mike Vrabel in that deal.

My point is that I would bet NE feels out the market given he's entering the final year of his deal. I highly doubt they let him walk for free.

I meant it was the right pick. I also meant this franchise wasn't afraid to swim against the current for a transcendent talent.

For all Bridgewater brings to the table, he's not without risk. We certainly don't need to talk about the risk with JFF.

Clowney is probably the best pure, once-in-a-generation physical talent in the draft. If Watt believes he can instill his motor in Clowney, look out. Those two on any DL would be absolutely terrifying for any team to play against.Not to mention, you're not gonna need your QB to do a whole lot if the D is suffocating and Foster and the running game return.

As strange as it sounds to say, their window isn't exactly closed like you might expect a team with the number 1 pick to be. Houston shouldn't be playing for 3 years down the road. They can win that division next year.

ETA -- to bring it back to Mallet. It's more evidence Houston is seriously considering Clowney, which leaves open the possibility they'll trade for Mallet. They could obviously use a 2nd or 3rd on a QB as well. Hell they could sign Vick - we don't know. But it's still plausible Mallet is playing elsewhere next year given his contract situation, and Houston looks like a fine fit.

Gil Brandt speculating is not evidence of anything.

Not sure they can justify that price... but I would assume that's what they'd ask for. IF we think back, they got the highest 2nd in the draft for Cassel, but he had proven so much more than Mallet did, and they also sent Mike Vrabel in that deal.

My point is that I would bet NE feels out the market given he's entering the final year of his deal. I highly doubt they let him walk for free.

They still need a backup qb next year. He's been there and knows the system and is a better backup than finding someone off the street. No reason to trade him unless someone makes it worth their while.

Gil Brandt speculating is not evidence of anything.

Senility

If I needed a QB, I would consider getting both Bridgewater and Mallett and just let them fight it out in training camp. If you really want a franchise QB, why not invest in both and boost the odds of finding one?

If I needed a QB, I would consider getting both Bridgewater and Mallett and just let them fight it out in training camp. If you really want a franchise QB, why not invest in both and boost the odds of finding one?

As a team drafting with a losing record, perhaps investing your first round pick on Bridgewater and trading your second to acquire Mallett might not fill other voids your team may have.

As a team drafting with a losing record, perhaps investing your first round pick on Bridgewater and trading your second to acquire Mallett might not fill other voids your team may have.

Also, Mallett is expecting to sign a new deal wherever he is traded.

They still need a backup qb next year. He's been there and knows the system and is a better backup than finding someone off the street. No reason to trade him unless someone makes it worth their while.

Bill can get a backup QB for much less than a 2nd.