What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy said:
If I remember correctly, and I could very well be wrong so feel free to correct me if so, the knock on Mallet coming out was not on his talent but rather on his disposition and off field concerns. I have not heard anything derogatory regarding those issues since he was drafted by NE. If true and he has created a track record of flying right, it seems that might make Mallet a plum buy low for a team in the QB market, especially given this draft class and that he has NFL seasoning with a program like NE. And when I say buy low, that means relative to the starting QB market.
That doesn't surprise me because I looked into the details regarding his personality issues when he was a rookie and while I can't remember the details, my general impression was that those concerns were overblown and the perceptions were wrong. And, as a result, I have been patiently been holding him in three leagues hoping to eventually get a return on my investment.
he was not on the right track at michigan before rich rod showed up and he transferred. Read same continued in Arkansas. Then he got busted with drugs and interviewed poorly. Special players can get away with this, but mallet isn't special, and he is also the qb.Falling in the draft and being a backup for three years has served as a wake up call, maybe. He isn't special, but he could be a good starter if his head is finally on right. Had he started from day one he likely would have flamed out though. Needed knocked down a couple of pegs.

Premier said:
Riversco said:
What would be really crazy is the Patriots trading Mallet to the Vikings for the 1.08, and then trading the 1.08, 1.29 and a 1st in 2015 to get 1.01 and take Bridgewater.
Nobody in hell is giving up a top-10 pick for mallet.
Nobody is giving up a pick in the top-64 for Mallett.
Put yourself in the place of a NFL GM on a QB needy team and you have a pick in the top 15. Would you rather spend your high 1st rounder on one of the QBs in this draft, and address another need with your 2nd rounder; address another need with your high 1st rounder and then take QB5 or QB6 in this draft class with your second rounder; or send that 2nd rounder to NE for Mallet and still be able to use your high 1st rounder on another need?

Something tells me there's at least 4 or 5 GMs looking hard at option 3.

Bronco Billy said:
If I remember correctly, and I could very well be wrong so feel free to correct me if so, the knock on Mallet coming out was not on his talent but rather on his disposition and off field concerns. I have not heard anything derogatory regarding those issues since he was drafted by NE. If true and he has created a track record of flying right, it seems that might make Mallet a plum buy low for a team in the QB market, especially given this draft class and that he has NFL seasoning with a program like NE. And when I say buy low, that means relative to the starting QB market.
That doesn't surprise me because I looked into the details regarding his personality issues when he was a rookie and while I can't remember the details, my general impression was that those concerns were overblown and the perceptions were wrong. And, as a result, I have been patiently been holding him in three leagues hoping to eventually get a return on my investment.
he was not on the right track at michigan before rich rod showed up and he transferred. Read same continued in Arkansas. Then he got busted with drugs and interviewed poorly. Special players can get away with this, but mallet isn't special, and he is also the qb.Falling in the draft and being a backup for three years has served as a wake up call, maybe. He isn't special, but he could be a good starter if his head is finally on right. Had he started from day one he likely would have flamed out though. Needed knocked down a couple of pegs.
That isn't correct. Looking back into it again to refresh my memory, he was arrested for being drunk in public but didn't fail any drug tests at Arkansas. He later supposedly admitted to some past drug use in NFL team interviews, but no specifics were ever given as to which drugs (so we don't know if it was pot or something more serious). It appears that while there was some validity to the character rumors, there was more smoke than fire.

If he didn't get busted with crack then he either admitted to it or there wasn't enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

If he didn't get busted with crack then he either admitted to it or there wasn't enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
No, that wasn't it. There were STRONG rumors that he was a cokehead. That was the drug connection, I remember very clearly.

Premier said:
Riversco said:
What would be really crazy is the Patriots trading Mallet to the Vikings for the 1.08, and then trading the 1.08, 1.29 and a 1st in 2015 to get 1.01 and take Bridgewater.
Put yourself in the place of a NFL GM on a QB needy team and you have a pick in the top 15. Would you rather spend your high 1st rounder on one of the QBs in this draft, and address another need with your 2nd rounder; address another need with your high 1st rounder and then take QB5 or QB6 in this draft class with your second rounder; or send that 2nd rounder to NE for Mallet and still be able to use your high 1st rounder on another need?

depends on cap situation, a 2nd round qb would be quiet cheaper than trading for mallet. No team trades for mallet without doing an extension.

I can't find any links to verify a drug arrest at all, let alone one in which charges were dropped for lack of evidence. perhaps you can provide one. Also, I can't find any public admissions about using crack (and we don't know if that is what he admitted to in NFL interviews).

No, that wasn't it. There were STRONG rumors that he was a cokehead. That was the drug connection, I remember very clearly.
Nobody remembers this??
the word around Michigan was crack, he may have upgraded though, don't remember for sure.
First, I don't think coke is worse than crack, unless you meant "upgraded" to mean the other way around.

Second, I distinctly remember the college message board talk about him being a cokehead, especially at Arkansas. Not that those are ironclad sources or anything of course, it's just what I remember. We could have just read different things at the time.

But google "Mallett cokehead". Tons of stuff comes up from the time.

Nobody remembers this??
the word around Michigan was crack, he may have upgraded though, don't remember for sure.
First, I don't think coke is worse than crack, unless you meant "upgraded" to mean the other way around.

Second, I distinctly remember the college message board talk about him being a cokehead, especially at Arkansas. Not that those are ironclad sources or anything of course, it's just what I remember. We could have just read different things at the time.

But google "Mallett cokehead". Tons of stuff comes up from the time.
i meant the other way.

Smoking cocaine is worse than intranasal cocaine from an addiction standpoint. But let's face it, neither is something anyone should ever try even once. No exposure, no disease...

Mallet must be in recovery because there really has been no mention of this since he's joined the pats. I do remember drug rumors about him in college, just didn't realize it was crack.

Premier said:
Riversco said:

but if you do that and the kid fails your fired. Sounds great on paper but when your job is on the line (and you know that 95% of the owners want a shiny new toy and not a used one thats been polished up by another) you might just go with the more proven method.

Premier said:
Riversco said:

but if you do that and the kid fails your fired. Sounds great on paper but when your job is on the line (and you know that 95% of the owners want a shiny new toy and not a used one thats been polished up by another) you might just go with the more proven method.
On the other hand, a GM who is already on the hot seat and needs to win now may overpay for a guy like Mallet as a desperate attempt at a quick fix. I've read that Vikings GM Rick Spielman is on the hot seat. This is Spielman's third draft as GM, and the team has gone 10-6 and 5-10-1 under him.

I could see Spielman saying "I've tried Ponder and Cassel. Those didn't work out. I'll take one more shot in the dark with Mallet. If that doesn't work, I'm fired anyway.

Trading a top 10 first round pick for Mallet is a great way to get fired
Sure. But we also know GMs sometimes take extra risk under pressure. I would call it dumb if Spielman sent a 1st rounder to the Patriots for Mallet. It could still happen though. It could even work out for them.

We can't sit here and say "that trade would never happen because it is dumb." GMs do make dumb trades. A first for Mallet wouldn't even qualify anywhere near the worst trade ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texans could possibly win with a QB now. They have some very key pieces to the puzzle there. I fear that if they draft a QB and wait, Arian, Andre, and whomever else will be older and less productive by the time he develops. A few years from now, will they have a top RB and top WR? To me, it makes more sense to sign a veteran(Mallett or someone else) than draft a rook as the starter.

Riversco said:
Gandalf said:
Sure. But we also know GMs sometimes take extra risk under pressure. I would call it dumb if Spielman sent a 1st rounder to the Patriots for Mallet. It could still happen though. It could even work out for them.

We can't sit here and say "that trade would never happen because it is dumb." GMs do make dumb trades. A first for Mallet wouldn't even qualify anywhere near the worst trade ever.
But it would come in third...

I'd rather have Carr in the late first (trade up your 2nd) or Garappolo in the 2nd or Fales in the 4th... all day long and twice on Sundays.

If NE could get a 2nd for Mallet they would do it in a second, but I don't think they can. Maybe they could get a 3rd and if offered I think they would take it. IMHO, he needs to show up in pre-season this year if he is going to have any real trade value. He didn't look very impressive last year afaic.

Riversco said:
Gandalf said:

No way.

Ricky Williams for an entire draft

Herschel Walker for everything in the Vikings foot locker

Ryan Leaf for 2 firsts and a second

Randy Moss to the Patriots for a 4th rounder

Marshall Faulk to the Colts for a 2nd and 5th

Steve Young to the 49ers for a 2nd and 4th

All of those were way more one sided and damaging.

Riversco said:
Gandalf said:

No way.

I disagree with all these trades.

Moss had 2 years left on his deal and he wasn't going to help the Raiders do anything. The Raiders contacted everyone trying to trade him and this was the best they could get.

Steve Young is more of hunch but had he stayed with the Bucs I doubt he would have ever came close to doing as well as he did in San Fran

Honestly I think the Vikings trading a 3rd FOR Moss when he was pretty much done ranks as a much worse trade than the Raiders trading Moss away for a 4th to NE...Oakland almost had to do that, and had no leverage and a soft market for him.

No way.

Herschel was a sort of perfect specimen at RB, few RBs had everything he had going for him. I can totally understand a GM falling in love with the prospect of having him. I think many would be fooled as well and that many of us fans thought he'd do far better than he did. I'm not saying he's worth an entire draft, but the guy's resume and personal stuff and character before the trade was about perfect. We've had the threads...I am of the opinion that oh so many 4,5,6,7 rounders don't pan out so it's the equivalent of a 1st, 2nd and third for him as far as team impact. It's been a fun debate. Anywho, I think herschel will be repeated someday. For example, if RGIII followed up his rookie year with expected greatness in year two-yeah I could see some GM offering up an entire draft for him.

Steve Young was not that good in Tampa, nor were the Bucs who often seemed to get a new QB people drooled over. I do not remember reading articles where people called it a bad trade. Years later, after Joe was hurt and Steve emerged yeah then it was a bad trade but geesh no one knew that on the day of the trade.

Ricky was a fine trade IMO. The guy got a bit wacky and that skewed everything. He was a beast. You make a trade like that, you need other moves to pan out-they didn't. I don't think it was Ricky's doing though. He came and played as advertised. Look at Trent and Ingram and even Bush to a degree, few RBs are automatic studs like we think. Ricky was.

Randy Moss should have been kicked out of the league while with the Raiders. Players association could have even done it like man ya gotta play to be in our union. Taking plays off was oh so literal and horrible for the sport. He's a (insert bad word) for only playing hard for certain teams. All world ability but you're asking a team to offer you something in exchange for this cancer? Definitely not a first or second. I didn't think that was unreasonable then and still don't. What's unreasonable is the Raiders paid him a truckload of money and should have been guaranteed some degree of effort.

The Colts loved Edge and switched from one back capable of rushing and receiving for 1000 each to a different one that could. It's probably never been so effortless to replace a top RB. They should have got more for Faulk, but that trade didn't in anyway negatively affect their franchise. Young Edge was excellent and wow was he great for FF too.

I believe that the trade value chart is a good stick measure for NFL trades. (I do not want to pass judgement on its mechanics and what I think about it.)

Couple that with the fact that the Patriots have long pursued a 1st round pick for Ryan Mallett, I come to the conclusion that the floor for their asking price is 600 points on that chart. A modest ceiling would be around 800 points which is around pick 21.

Vikings hold #40 & #72 which account for 500 points and 230 points respectively.

Thus, it would rationally make sense to me if the Vikings kept their 8th pick overall, see if there is a QB of choice there, then decide other options in trading down. If they need to pull the trigger on the pick, then do it. Only after that time, call the Pats around say pick 15 to inquire about Mallett and dangle #40 & #72 - which I believe BB would take.

I believe that the trade value chart is a good stick measure for NFL trades. (I do not want to pass judgement on its mechanics and what I think about it.)

Couple that with the fact that the Patriots have long pursued a 1st round pick for Ryan Mallett, I come to the conclusion that the floor for their asking price is 600 points on that chart. A modest ceiling would be around 800 points which is around pick 21.

Vikings hold #40 & #72 which account for 500 points and 230 points respectively.

Thus, it would rationally make sense to me if the Vikings kept their 8th pick overall, see if there is a QB of choice there, then decide other options in trading down. If they need to pull the trigger on the pick, then do it. Only after that time, call the Pats around say pick 15 to inquire about Mallett and dangle #40 & #72 - which I believe BB would take.
I don't believe in assigning points to draft picks. I think on average you need to find one impact player in the draft per year. I don't care if that player is found in the 1st or 7th.

I don't believe in assigning points to draft picks. I think on average you need to find one impact player in the draft per year. I don't care if that player is found in the 1st or 7th.
What you believe is close to what I believe, thus I made the effort not to pass judgement on what I believe.

On the other hand, there is ample evidence that the front offices use this.

Even though, I would personally agree with you, I would put those practices over (y)our beliefs.

Why would a team trade a second or even a third for this guy? What has he proven? If you thought he was a fourth rounder a few years ago, how has that changed? He hasn't seen the field at all.

I just don't see a team giving up much value for him. Maybe some dumb team will out of desperation but it doesn't make sense.

Premier said:
Why would a team trade a second or even a third for this guy? What has he proven? If you thought he was a fourth rounder a few years ago, how has that changed? He hasn't seen the field at all.

I just don't see a team giving up much value for him. Maybe some dumb team will out of desperation but it doesn't make sense.
He's proven nothing, what he has going for him is that he's spent three years behind Tom Brady and the character issues from college do not seem to be a problem. The idea that people wouldn't think he's worth a 3rd is strange to me - I'd rather take my chances on him than a QB in the 3rd round of the draft.

And where has the pursuit of that 1st got them? Mallett is now on the last year of his contract, meaning whoever trades for him now will need to give him a long-term deal. The ship has sailed on any chance of getting a 1st or close to it in value.

Premier said:

He's proven nothing, what he has going for him is that he's spent three years behind Tom Brady and the character issues from college do not seem to be a problem. The idea that people wouldn't think he's worth a 3rd is strange to me - I'd rather take my chances on him than a QB in the 3rd round of the draft.
Sitting behind Brady is pretty meaningless. Doesn't mean much at all. I'm sure most GMs would rather see if a guy can play or not.

Good for him for staying off the coke or whatever, but again that doesn't push his value much.

Premier said:

Sitting behind Brady is pretty meaningless. Doesn't mean much at all. I'm sure most GMs would rather see if a guy can play or not.

Good for him for staying off the coke or whatever, but again that doesn't push his value much.
I think the point is that the thought at the time was that he fell due to his character concerns. He's gone three seasons without a hint of those character concerns surfacing. So who's to say he isn't worth what his talent may have demanded?

Herschel was a sort of perfect specimen at RB, few RBs had everything he had going for him. I can totally understand a GM falling in love with the prospect of having him. I think many would be fooled as well and that many of us fans thought he'd do far better than he did. I'm not saying he's worth an entire draft, but the guy's resume and personal stuff and character before the trade was about perfect.
He was already 27 when the Vikings traded for him - on that alone it was a horrible trade.

Premier said:

If the reason Mallett fell from the first to the third was off the field issues. Then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume his value would go up, even if it is only a round if he has shown for 3 years to have matured and gotten passed the issues?

Premier said:

If the reason Mallett fell from the first to the third was off the field issues. Then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume his value would go up, even if it is only a round if he has shown for 3 years to have matured and gotten passed the issues?
How would anyone know? No other team has had a chance to see him. No other team has seen much other than a few meaningless preseason snaps. No one has any idea if he is doing any drugs, other than the fact that he hasn't been caught with any drugs.

Mallett isn't the first highly ranked QB to slide in the draft. What does he have going for him now? The Patriots drafted him? He hasn't been arrested?

He has more going against him, like:

The recent history of hyped backups that failed elsewhere. Guys that have, by any measure, done more than him.

He won't be a bargain. He'll be getting his second contract. Some team is going to give up a high (ish) pick for the pleasure of paying an unproven guy like a proven guy?

Premier said:

Sitting behind Brady is pretty meaningless. Doesn't mean much at all. I'm sure most GMs would rather see if a guy can play or not.Good for him for staying off the coke or whatever, but again that doesn't push his value much.
How would anyone know? No other team has had a chance to see him. No other team has seen much other than a few meaningless preseason snaps. No one has any idea if he is doing any drugs, other than the fact that he hasn't been caught with any drugs. Mallett isn't the first highly ranked QB to slide in the draft. What does he have going for him now? The Patriots drafted him? He hasn't been arrested?

He has more going against him, like:

The recent history of hyped backups that failed elsewhere. Guys that have, by any measure, done more than him.

He won't be a bargain. He'll be getting his second contract. Some team is going to give up a high (ish) pick for the pleasure of paying an unproven guy like a proven guy?
Well, I was going to stop. So, playing at the NFL level - even if in preseason, training camp and OTAs - as well as learning NFL speed, windows, O and D schemes has no value?

Learning QBing at the NFL level from the NE staff, picking Brady's brain, sitting in pro meetings and film study has no value?

Sitting on the NE sideline, watching and listening to the scheming and adjustments, learning how to spot weaknesses at same time speed in games has no value?

You say you can name some guys who failed when given those opportunities. How about one guy who sat and watched and learned until it was his time - Aaron Rodgers. How did that work out? There are others, but he's the most notable.

There's no more risk with Mallett than with any of the incoming rookies. You're going to pay for the 3 years of experience he has gained. Would you rather have a Gabbert with a 1st rounder? A Locker? When you can pay a 2nd rounder for Mallett?

You may not see the logic, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That's all well and good, but you failed to reference the three lost years of cost control in your analysis.

Premier said:

Three years of being coached up by the NE staff and watching how one of the best QBs in the game approaches every practice and every game.

Who cares if he used coke? It's out of your system in like 2 days, so there's little risk of him testing positive. I guess he could get caught and have some legal trouble, but that's a small chance.

Are you worried about it affecting his performance? You shouldn't. The original LT used cocaine before games - and he played pretty well. Coke is probably more like a performance enhancing drug.

That's all well and good, but you failed to reference the three lost years of cost control in your analysis.
The cost is an issue, which is why I think a 3rd is about right for him. He's going to get at least a 3 year/$20M deal (real guaranteed money, not inflated numbers).

Users who are viewing this thread