What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lightning Bug or Firefly (1 Viewer)

Lightning Bug or Firefly?

• Lightning Bug

Votes: 198 75.3%
  • Firefly

Votes: 65 24.7%

• Total voters

NajehHejan

Footballguy
What did you choose, and where did you grow up?

I think one will win in a landslide, but am curious.....

I've always used both interchangeably, although maybe firefly a bit more only because it's quicker to say.

Going with Lightning Bug. It's what we called them in Philly. Haven't actually seen one in person for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid I went with lightning bugs. Now I use both terms.

I caught about a dozen a couple nights ago to feed my frog. The frog lights up four or five times after eating the fireflies.

Real flies posses single pair of wings and are of the Diptera order. Lightning bugs are of the beetle order Coleoptera. Fireflies as many common names of bugs is misleading. I always referred to them as Lampyridae. :football:

Real flies posses single pair of wings and are of the Diptera order. Lightning bugs are of the beetle order Coleoptera. Fireflies as many common names of bugs is misleading. I always referred to them as Lampyridae. :football:
Fireflies have no more misleading a name than mayflies, dragonflies, damselflies, stoneflies, whiteflies, fireflies, alderflies, dobsonflies, snakeflies, sawflies, caddisflies, butterflies, or scorpionflies, none of which are flies. They're not bugs either.I use both names.

Lightning bug - Eastern Iowa.

A lot of fun catching them as a small kid. Then a lot of fun hitting them with the wiffle ball bat a couple years later. Loved watching them sail, whilst lit up, after I connected with the sweet spot of the bat.

Seems wrong to refer to them as fireflies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted Firefly because I like the TV series.

I grew up hearing both and have no recollection of where either or both may have been used. I also don't remember what comes to mind first when I see them. The name is interchangeable to me.

I grew up in TN, MI, LA and GA and spent summers in the mountains of NC.

Grew up here on The Island hearing both, just "lightning bug" more. :shrug:

Lightning Bug, I don't think I have ever spoken the word firefly in my life.

I grew up in Northern Minnesota. I have lightning bugs flying around my yard in

south central Wisconsin right now; they still make me :D

South Jersey - lightning bug, however I rarely see them anymore and it's upsetting.

My daughter even has a lightning bug kit that we can't use since we don't see any :cry:

Firefly was an awesome show... Shame it got canceled during its first year...

Never heard of the show Lightning Bug...

Users who are viewing this thread