What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (1 Viewer)

Apple making a 13" tablet

After mocking every other manufacturer for making huge tablets, now they're cool?

:wall:
It can be all yours if the price is right. What is the price? I'm going to guess they start at $1,999. It could be worth it unless it only runs iOS. If it has a full operating system like the Surface... that is huge. If not, nothing to see here.
I am looking to replace my old iPad (the last product announced by Steve). I dropped the one I have a hundred times and there is not a single scratch on the glass. I only hope the new one is just as sturdy.

Apple making a 13" tablet

After mocking every other manufacturer for making huge tablets, now they're cool?

:wall:
It can be all yours if the price is right. What is the price? I'm going to guess they start at $1,999. It could be worth it unless it only runs iOS. If it has a full operating system like the Surface... that is huge. If not, nothing to see here.
I am looking to replace my old iPad (the last product announced by Steve). I dropped the one I have a hundred times and there is not a single scratch on the glass. I only hope the new one is just as sturdy.
It'll probably be bendable. Like the phones.

i don't doubt the mobile wallet-life-experience at all. it's happening because of the things you touched on. it's not just a payment system that is maturing but things like health/medical records, driver's licenses, et al. Apple is just the sexiest of the mobile pay but they certainly aren't the only one. other established banks and financials institutions have been working on this too. i know Apple users - and their are millions of them - want to believe that Cupertino is going to make it better and drive the market when instead it will likely be just another iteration and extension of the existing Apple ecosystem. it will be a tool for Apple users to happily inhabit and that's cool. for the rest of the market and its users? not relevant at all.
100% agree here. Pretty much every debate I engage in over Mobile payments includes Google Wallet in the equation because they will drive the market as well. I personally believe chip in card is a stopgap tech that will have a place but its already being left behind by the smartphone element. I see it somewhat like Netflix home delivery.

My credit cards have chips in them. I don't use them because I've got my phone. I think credit card companies have an uphill challenge of educating joe sixpack about the NFC chip in their credit cards when they're letting Apple/Google get a massive head-start. If chip in card payment doesn't get a major push in the next 12 months I can see a LOT of folks saying like I do "Why would I want to dig a card out of my wallet when I can do it with my phone".

Paying with a phone by scanning your finger routinely has nearby people saying "whoa, that's cool" . Tapping an old credit card instead of swiping it, then still having to sign name lacks that "cool/wow" factor.

Anyways... JMHO...
Then it's about the credit card not the technology. That's a valid argument. The technology in both the card and the phone are virtually identical and isn't going anywhere. The only significant difference is how one secures their phone. That's a fundamental challenge for the individual though, not the technology. The credit card companies are driving the technology so I don't quite understand what you believe their uphill challenge is here. I'm pretty confident they'd rather have you use your phone and save them the expense of sending you a card :shrug:
Just a side bar here, but I redeemed a couple of gift cards this morning and tried to use Google Wallet for an app purchase. I was told in order to do it I had to verify my gmail account. Ok, normally when I'm asked to verify my account it's usually just a link that someone sends and I click it showing them that it's me (not unlike what they do here at FBG). Noooooooo, they wanted my address, date of birth, a copy of my driver's license (or other government issued document such as a passport) and my social security number. For a $20 app store purchase? GTFO. I went to raise hell on the boards :nerd: , thinking that I was the first person this had happened to. Not hardly. PLENTY of people out there had the same thing happen. I've NEVER had an issue using iTunes cards for online purchases. I feel scammed. Like there's this scheme to just lift $20 from people who are smart enough not to give Google a bunch of personal information in the era of identity theft. I'm not taking out a loan with the bank of google, I'm just trying to use a 'same as cash' instrument to make an online purchase. It's like someone gave me a Red Lobster gift card but I had to give them a copy of my birth certificate before they'd serve me some shrimp scampi. F Google.

/rant

We are thinking of getting my daughter either a MacBook Pro or Air for Christmas. She's 15, very smart, studious kid. Think she'd get a lot of use ut of with schoolwork and such. She has an older laptop that's ready to be replaced. We all have apple products in the home. iphones, ipad mini.

Ive done quite a bit of reading on these and kind of torn between the two. I'm wondering if anyone else here has bought one for their teen recently or has either of these and can shed some light on what would be the better buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are thinking of getting my daughter either a MacBook Pro or Air for Christmas. She's 15, very smart, studious kid. Think she'd get a lot of use ut of with schoolwork and such. She has an older laptop that's ready to be replaced. We all have apple products in the home. iphones, ipad mini.

Ive done quite a bit of reading on these and kind of torn between the two. I'm wondering if anyone else here has bought one for their teen recently or has either of these and can shed some light on what would be the better buy.
I just worked my ### of this summer to buy my first ever laptop. I'm 22 in college never had one before and this macbook air is the best thing I've ever spent my money on and I've bought a lot of things.

I just worked my ### of this summer to buy my first ever laptop. I'm 22 in college never had one before and this macbook air is the best thing I've ever spent my money on and I've bought a lot of things.
Get her the regular MacBook. The current one is the equivalent of the old Air. It's awesome.

Why is this a long term play if they hold a zillion dollars in cash and have no intention of paying dividends.

Such a waste of capital.

You would think a company as innovative as Apple would find a good use for that money (buy Tesla, buy one of their suppliers, hookers/blow, etc.).

Such a waste of capital.

You would think a company as innovative as Apple would find a good use for that money (buy Tesla, buy one of their suppliers, hookers/blow, etc.).
It does seem really bizarre. Let's just horde a bunch of money and every once in awhile, we'll give a little back to the shareholders.

I still think they are angling to buy a broadcast company of some sort. If they want to get into homes everywhere with apple TV, they'll need it and won't have to worry about "working with others" to get it done.

Such a waste of capital.

It does seem really bizarre. Let's just horde a bunch of money and every once in awhile, we'll give a little back to the shareholders.
It's because most of it is held overseas and they'd get hit with a massive tax bill if they brought it back to the US. They're waiting for a "tax holiday".

Such a waste of capital.

It's an interesting situation as they pay little in taxes and employee very few workers given their size and wealth. They are a good example of what's driving wealth inequality in the US (the whole industry is, for a variety of reasons), but they get a pass because of their location and social views.

Such a waste of capital.

It's because most of it is held overseas and they'd get hit with a massive tax bill if they brought it back to the US. They're waiting for a "tax holiday".
Yeah I heard that but is this "holiday" something that actually might come or are they just going to keep going down this path indefinitely?

Such a waste of capital.

Yeah I heard that but is this "holiday" something that actually might come or are they just going to keep going down this path indefinitely?
It could. That's a lot of lobbying money.

Such a waste of capital.

It's an interesting situation as they pay little in taxes and employee very few workers given their size and wealth. They are a good example of what's driving wealth inequality in the US (the whole industry is, for a variety of reasons), but they get a pass because of their location and social views.
The taxes thing bugs me, despite being a fan of AAPL. The efficiency of their operations... meh... not so much. There are a LOT of jobs that are indirectly created by Apple.... estimates put the number somewhere between 300-400k on the low end, and up to 1 Million on the high end.

Such a waste of capital.

The taxes thing bugs me, despite being a fan of AAPL. The efficiency of their operations... meh... not so much. There are a LOT of jobs that are indirectly created by Apple.... estimates put the number somewhere between 300-400k on the low end, and up to 1 Million on the high end.
:lmao: Based on their own estimation in response to criticism.

I'm sure, like most any business, they support indirect jobs creation. That would seem obvious. How much would have been generated or supported by competitors or other local businesses anyway is much tougher to measure (impossible really).

Send me $200 billion and I promise to employ 1 million people too.

Ill employ 1.5 mill

Such a waste of capital.

Why buy Tesla at an inflated value when they plan to take them head on?
Google found out being an ISP isn't easy and roll out is extremely slow. Both Google and Apple and anyone else trying to start a car company is extremely difficult. They are far better off being their way in to that space if they want to compete. Tesla is the exception, not the rule.

NutterButter said:
humpback said:
NutterButter said:
eoMMan said:
Such a waste of capital.

Use it for OUS M&A IMO.

I'm not sure on whom or what, but if that money gets spent on something coming from an OUS Apple treasury center, it's never getting taxed by the US government. Why wait for a US tax holiday - when you'll still pay some tax - when you could make a strategic move and have a permanent US tax holiday? Makes too much sense if a strategic acquisition target of Apple also sits OUS.

Fennis said:
cstu said:
Ill employ 1.5 mill

[icon] said:
eoMMan said:
Such a waste of capital.

Why buy Tesla at an inflated value when they plan to take them head on?
Google found out being an ISP isn't easy and roll out is extremely slow. Both Google and Apple and anyone else trying to start a car company is extremely difficult. They are far better off being their way in to that space if they want to compete. Tesla is the exception, not the rule.
Depends on what they want to accomplish. If they just want to build the next Tesla, sure, buying Tesla might make a ton of sense. If they want to build autonomous electric vehicles, they're probably better off betting on computer nerds than companies whose experience lies in internal combustion engines.

Not to mention, is there anyone that thinks having Tesla, Google, and Apple all going toe to toe in the EV space is a BAD thing for consumers? Christ... with the amount of brainpower and bankrolls behind those three companies, we'll have reliable autonomous EV's in the next 2-4 years.

Of course:

Google's will be cheap, but will have collisions due to not working together and getting hacked constantly....
Tesla's will be sleek and awesome, but will only be affordable to the .001% of global population, and...
Apple's will be beautiful, but will decide your destination for you. ;)

Not to mention, is there anyone that thinks having Tesla, Google, and Apple all going toe to toe in the EV space is a BAD thing for consumers? Christ... with the amount of brainpower and bankrolls behind those three companies, we'll have reliable autonomous EV's in the next 2-4 years.

Of course:

Google's will be cheap, but will have collisions due to not working together and getting hacked constantly....

Tesla's will be sleek and awesome, but will only be affordable to the .001% of global population, and...

What happens when the car behind you goes to gun it and your car starts buffering?

NOt sure if this is a Honda, but...

$1.7b of Apple’s revenue last quarter came from Apple Watch

When it comes to revealing Apple Watch sales figures, Apple has kept its lips more tightly sealed than a swimmer in a sewage tank.

One of the ways it’s done this is hiding the Apple Watch numbers under the “other products” category in its SEC filings — alongside the iPod, Apple TV, Beats Electronics, and assorted accessories.

That doesn’t mean we can’t gauge something from looking at Apple’s new U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission documents, though. And despite keeping hush-hush about it, it seems the Apple Watch isn’t doing too badly for Apple at all.

As VentureBeat points out:

“Apple Watch, which was available less than half of FY 2015 still ‘accounted for more than 100% of the year-over-year growth in net sales of Other Products.’ A little math: Other Products grew from $8.379 billion in 2014 to $10.067 billion in 2015. That means Apple has sold at least $1.688 billion worth of Apple Watches. But as the statement implies, the actual figure is higher in a category that was dragged down by falling iPod sales.”
If Apple can continue this pace, it’s not out of the question that the Apple Watch could be a $5 billion business for Apple in the current fiscal year. True, those figures hardly make it a threat to the iPhone as Apple’s biggest seller, but it’s certainly promising.

Considering that even Apple wants to be less reliant on its iPhone cash cow (as seen from the line, “[Apple] generates a majority of its net sales from a single product and a decline in demand for that product could significantly impact quarterly net sales”) that’s good news.

Hopefully it means analysts can finally take a realistic stab at Apple Watch sales, rather than plucking numbers out of thin air.

Source: SEC.gov

Of course:

:goodposting:

Some negative stories showing up about Apple earnings and iPhone sales peaking. Last time this happened the stock absolutely tanked if IIRC.

Apple had its first holiday quarter of sales for Apple Watch, the company’s first all-new hardware product since the iPad in 2010. Apple didn’t provide a breakdown of the Watch’s sales, lumping the product’s sales in with the iPod, Apple TV and Beats accessories in the “other products” category. Sales of that segment rose 62% to $4.35 billion.

Always said it would be interesting to see what would happen once the vision that Jobs had left behind ran out. I had originally thought the watch and TV would be next, but they are doing virtually nothing. There's still part of me that is wondering if they aren't eyeing a content provider to purchase. It's the most complicated way to do things, but it would allow them to keep everything in their little world.

Users who are viewing this thread