Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
[icon]

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations

would it be pathetic to buy 2 shares of AAPL?

Not at all....those 2 shares will probably be 6-8 shortly.
There are no real indications they're gonna split.
Think he means $600-$800?
Probly, but I'm a literalist :)

Interesting chart here. Depicts S&P 500 Tech earnings outlook with and w/o AAPL.

Analysts were pointing this out yesterday. See a lot of risk for the overall market, and also pointed out how other companies have had HUGE valuations (Cisco, etc) only to see them drop by 80%. In other words, they didn't think Apple was sustainable

Interesting chart here. Depicts S&P 500 Tech earnings outlook with and w/o AAPL.

Analysts were pointing this out yesterday. See a lot of risk for the overall market, and also pointed out how other companies have had HUGE valuations (Cisco, etc) only to see them drop by 80%. In other words, they didn't think Apple was sustainable
yeah, but AAPL doesn't have a HUGE valuation. I almost consider it a value play. Big difference and the only reason I'm still bullish...well that and all the future products/news worthy items dropping in the next 1-2 years. Edited by Major

APPL down .80 to $503.48 :kicksrock:

This have anything to do with it?
I was joking around....stock is up another 3 points on another down day for Tech. :bow: Steve Jobs

Doubtful that is worrying anyone, it is up again today. AAPL: 505.03 ( +2.43)

Doubtful that is worrying anyone, it is up again today. AAPL: 505.03 ( +2.43)
:suds:

Crazy that I thought I was super late to the game at ~$430; and I'm strongly considering putting another few units in at this level. The stock is just a rocketship at this point (which, is kind of making me nervous).

:eek: +14.34 (2.81%)

I'm making more on this stock every morning before I get to work than I actually make in the office all day. An incredible run.

yeah, but AAPL doesn't have a HUGE valuation. I almost consider it a value play. Big difference and the only reason I'm still bullish...well that and all the future products/news worthy items dropping in the next 1-2 years.

This is the point. Apple is less than 15 times trailing earnings, and probably around 10 times forward earnings. Added to that is the $100 billion in cash, which means more than $100 per share. And they continue to grow by leaps and bounds. The growth MUST tail off in the future, but not for the next year or so.

I'm making more on this stock every morning before I get to work than I actually make in the office all day. An incredible run.

Seriously... this is unbelivable. How can something like this be "sustainable"? I have to think that any type of reaction to a declared dividend / Ipad 3 / Iphone 5 has to essentially be 'baked in'. Edited by Meat

Seriously... this is unbelivable. How can something like this be "sustainable"? I have to think that any type of reaction to a declared dividend / Ipad 3 / Iphone 5 has to essentially be 'baked in'.

Well, in the past year, Apple's stock has soared 44%. But that is much below their increase in sales and profits in the same period.

In the last quarter, sales increased 73% over the same period a year earlier.

Edited by DiStefano

Seriously... this is unbelivable. How can something like this be "sustainable"? I have to think that any type of reaction to a declared dividend / Ipad 3 / Iphone 5 has to essentially be 'baked in'.

Well, in the past year, Apple's stock has soared 44%. But that is much below their increase in sales and profits in the same period.

In the last quarter, sales increased 73% over the same period a year earlier.

The P/E of under 15 says a lot.

Simply incredible. I'm more giddy with each passing day and thousands of dollars being added to my account. Sold 2 calls at 493 which was a big mistake(was getting a little scared of huge runup). The thing is, they are growing crazy in china and elsewhere. They are taking away business accounts from many companies switching from the blackberry. Its a runaway freight train making alot of people alot of money. Taking the fam to diznee world in march. Thanks Steve.

Currently tracking another great day on a flight to Miami and the Bahamas. Major will be making it rain and doing his best to spread the wealth around.

I consider this run to be partially a market correction because they have been so grossly undervalued compared to their growth/profits. Thing is, comparing them Cisco or Microsoft at their peak doesn't work because those companies essentially had 85% of their respective markets at the time. Apple is in several businesses where they are still only ~25% market share, giving them incredible room for continued growth.

I kinda want to buy more at this current cheap price of 503

About 5% of Apple's stock changed hands today, as many investors decided to lock in profits. It doesn't change the fundamentals.

About 5% of Apple's stock changed hands today, as many investors decided to lock in profits. It doesn't change the fundamentals.
:wall:

10.8 developer preview today scattered around the internet... continues to blur the lines between iOS and OSX. Looks pretty nice.

Also, Messages beta open (although currently down at this moment):

Whats going to be the consolidation point? 475 is what i'm thinking with perhaps potential to go as low as 450-460. Those numbers are still almost a 100 points up from where it last consolidated....380.

Whats going to be the consolidation point? 475 is what i'm thinking with perhaps potential to go as low as 450-460. Those numbers are still almost a 100 points up from where it last consolidated....380.

Using the 12/11 low, It's bouncing right off the 23.6 fib retracement as we speak (~491). 38.2 is right around that 460 range. :popcorn:

Using the 12/11 low, It's bouncing right off the 23.6 fib retracement as we speak (~491). 38.2 is right around that 460 range. :popcorn:
A guy on Fast Money who analyzes charts and #### said that the $526 high we saw briefly yesterday would be the high for the next 6 months or so and that $460 was the bottom.

A guy on Fast Money who analyzes charts and #### said that the $526 high we saw briefly yesterday would be the high for the next 6 months or so and that $460 was the bottom.
I'll bet this guy is wrong regarding the high. We'll see 550 shortly.

I could see another run as we approach the iPad 3 announcement. Don't expect to hit 550 this quickly, but wouldn't be completely surprised either.

I could see another run as we approach the iPad 3 announcement. Don't expect to hit 550 this quickly, but wouldn't be completely surprised either.
the dividend is looking less likely but there's still a chance...it's a difficult company to read but I think they should reward shareholders v. buying something with an inflated valuationedit: and when I say shortly, I mean 60 days. I could see a run to 550 but then a selloff. Part of me hopes for this as I'd like another correction so I can buy more at a cheaper entry. Edited by Major

the dividend is looking less likely but there's still a chance...it's a difficult company to read but I think they should reward shareholders v. buying something with an inflated valuationedit: and when I say shortly, I mean 60 days. I could see a run to 550 but then a selloff. Part of me hopes for this as I'd like another correction so I can buy more at a cheaper entry.
I've been saying for a long time that they won't do another dividend; I was certain it wouldn't happen under Jobs, under Cook I'm slightly less certain but still don't think they will. I prefer that they use their cash for running the business, I love to see them prepay for parts and make strategic acquisitions, but just spending a few billion here and there the cash pile will keep growing. Honestly, I don't know the best use, but was happy to see they didn't do the dividend at the shareholders meeting after all the talking heads were calling for it. Last thing I want to see is the media calling the shots. If Apple does give a dividend, I want to feel like its because they decided to do it, not because they were pressured by outside forces.

the dividend is looking less likely but there's still a chance...it's a difficult company to read but I think they should reward shareholders v. buying something with an inflated valuationedit: and when I say shortly, I mean 60 days. I could see a run to 550 but then a selloff. Part of me hopes for this as I'd like another correction so I can buy more at a cheaper entry.
I've been saying for a long time that they won't do another dividend; I was certain it wouldn't happen under Jobs, under Cook I'm slightly less certain but still don't think they will. I prefer that they use their cash for running the business, I love to see them prepay for parts and make strategic acquisitions, but just spending a few billion here and there the cash pile will keep growing. Honestly, I don't know the best use, but was happy to see they didn't do the dividend at the shareholders meeting after all the talking heads were calling for it. Last thing I want to see is the media calling the shots. If Apple does give a dividend, I want to feel like its because they decided to do it, not because they were pressured by outside forces.
Issuing a dividend would not impact Apple's ability to make strategic acquisitions. The most expensive acquisition in their history was $400M - less than 1/2 of 1% of their current cash holdings. Why do they need $120-$150B? Are they going to buy facebook? Those "outside" forces calling for a dividend are mostly investors. As a stockholder, I have my fingers crossed that they'll issue a dividend - hopefully by year end.

Issuing a dividend would not impact Apple's ability to make strategic acquisitions. The most expensive acquisition in their history was $400M - less than 1/2 of 1% of their current cash holdings. Why do they need $120-$150B? Are they going to buy facebook?
Yeah, I get that. That's why I said that if they only continue to spend a few billion here and there the cash will keep piling up. I don't know what they would do with the cash but things like paying up front to keep control of the supply chain is a great use of money that gives them an incredible advantage over their competitors.

Those "outside" forces calling for a dividend are mostly investors. As a stockholder, I have my fingers crossed that they'll issue a dividend - hopefully by year end.

Meh, it seems to be mostly the "experts" that have continually shown a complete lack of understanding when it comes to Apple over the years. I don't put much stock in what the talking heads have to say, pun intended.

Issuing a dividend would not impact Apple's ability to make strategic acquisitions. The most expensive acquisition in their history was $400M - less than 1/2 of 1% of their current cash holdings. Why do they need $120-$150B? Are they going to buy facebook?

Yeah, I get that. That's why I said that if they only continue to spend a few billion here and there the cash will keep piling up. I don't know what they would do with the cash but things like paying up front to keep control of the supply chain is a great use of money that gives them an incredible advantage over their competitors.

Those "outside" forces calling for a dividend are mostly investors. As a stockholder, I have my fingers crossed that they'll issue a dividend - hopefully by year end.

Meh, it seems to be mostly the "experts" that have continually shown a complete lack of understanding when it comes to Apple over the years. I don't put much stock in what the talking heads have to say, pun intended.
I would agree with you 2-3 years ago when Apple was holding maybe $25B. But at $100B, soon to be $120B-$130B by the end of '12, the cash stash goes well beyond allowing them to complete strategic purchases.

Interesting article about the iPhone market in Southern Europe: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204653604577247471036145902.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

BARCELONA—For Google Inc., Europe's economic turmoil has had a silver lining: Smartphones that use the Internet giant's software are crushing the iPhone in countries hard hit by the continent's debt crisis.

Last year, despite Apple Inc.'s high-profile launch of the new iPhone 4S, only 5% of the smartphones sold in Greece and 9% of those sold in Portugal were iPhones, according to research firm IDC. Most of the rest were phones running Google's Android operating system, which the company is promoting heavily as it seeks a firmer foothold in the wireless industry.

The results point to a rare weak spot for Apple—its heavy reliance on subsidies from wireless carriers to make its iPhones affordable to a wider range of consumers. The practice has proved to be a big advantage for Apple, which posted a 73% jump in revenue in its latest quarter, at the expense of carriers such as Sprint Nextel Corp., which started carrying the iPhone last fall but doesn't expect to make a profit on the device until 2015.

In countries like the U.S. and the U.K., carrier subsidies helped the iPhone win more than 20% of the smartphone market last year. But its performance in parts of southern Europe where most consumers don't sign contracts and have to pay full freight for phones suggests Apple's position could suffer if carriers tire of underwriting most of the cost of the devices, as some are in countries such as Denmark and Spain.

"Smartphone penetration and adoption is being helped by the entry of lower-price devices, which basically are Android devices," said Carlos Alberto Silva, a spokesman for Portuguese carrier Optimus.

Android phones that cost less than $200 without a contract are widely available in Europe, helping Google undercut the much more expensive iPhone. In Portugal, at wireless carrier Vodafone Group PLC, the cheapest Apple phone—an eight-gigabyte version of the older-model iPhone 4—sells for $680, according to the carrier's website. Phones running Android can be had for as little as $106, and even Samsung Electronics Co.'s high-end Galaxy S II is cheaper than the cheapest iPhone.

In markets like the U.S., where consumers generally pay $200 or $300 for smartphones regardless of the brand, price isn't as much of a factor. The reverse is true in Greece, Portugal, and elsewhere, where carriers don't subsidize most smartphones.

At Greece's largest wireless carrier, Cosmote Mobile Telecommunications SA, the most popular smartphone sold last year was Samsung's Galaxy Mini, said Dimitris Koutsonas, head of mobile data and services. The price: $188 without a contract. "In this economic situation, we had to push the low-end smartphone," Mr. Koutsonas said.

As a result, more than 60% of the smartphones sold by Cosmote last year were Android phones, Mr. Koutsonas said.

The success of Android helps Google to ensure that its search engine—its most important source of revenue—as well as mapping and other services, are preloaded on mobile devices, through which consumers are spending more time online.

Google licenses Android to hardware manufacturers essentially free, doesn't get a cut of device sales and takes only a small share of revenue generated from app sales for Android devices.

The software company hopes the wider range of prices for Android phones boosts their adoption—and helps the operating system gain traction with carriers wary of subsidies and customers leery of contracts.

"Our competitors are much more dependent on such subsidies," said John Lagerling, Google's director of Android partnerships. "From a sustainability standpoint, if you have very expensive devices as the only ones available to access your ecosystem, then that can come with a pretty severe hangover in the long run."

In the U.S., carriers pay Apple an estimated $400 every time a customer buys an iPhone with a two-year contract, analysts say. Sprint has acknowledged that iPhone subsidies run 40% higher than they do for other smartphones on average. The goal is to make it easy to buy the phone then make the money back and a profit over time on service contracts. Contract-free "prepaid" carriers, on the other hand, leave consumers to pay the full price of a phone.

Wall Street has grilled Apple on its strategy for prepaid carriers, even as the company sold a record 37 million iPhones in its most recent quarter, more than double the year-earlier tally. The company has kept a nearly three-year-old model, the iPhone 3GS, on the market to appeal to budget-minded buyers, including prepaid users. But the 3GS still sells for $535 without a contract at Greece's Cosmote.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook told analysts in January that it "was too early to tell" how the lower-priced versions would perform in the prepaid market over time but that the company was "thrilled" with iPhones sales as a whole.

At an investor conference this month, Mr. Cook added that emerging markets, which often use the prepaid model, are "critical" for the company, but that each country is different and some may evolve over time. "I don't really subscribe to the premise that a prepaid market is a prepaid market is a prepaid market," he said. Apple, he said, had persuaded China Unicom to try a contract and subsidies approach in addition to its prepaid one, and that it had performed well.

"You can bet that we are into details in every single country in the world trying to learn what we can to adjust, maybe to do better into the future," Mr. Cook said.

The debate over device subsidies is part of a tug of war between mobile operators, Internet companies and phone makers seeking control and profits in the wireless industry. All three camps are gathering in Barcelona this week for an annual industry conference.

Carriers around the world are having second thoughts about subsidizing phones, presenting a risk for all phone makers—not just Apple. That became clear in Denmark last year after several leading wireless carriers stopped subsidizing phones and lowered their monthly rates to keep up with lower-priced competitors. "We saw that the customers valued lower prices on calling plans, and simpler calling plans, higher than the subsidy on the phone," said Jon Erik Haug, CEO of the Denmark unit of Oslo-based wireless operator Telenor ASA.

In the second half of last year, after Danish carriers stopped offering subsidies, phone sales declined about 10% from the second half of 2010, according to IDC analyst Francisco Jeronimo. Smartphone sales continued to grow, but at a much lower rate than in 2010.

In Spain, telecom giant Telefónica SA also is having doubts. "We can't keep subsidies at these levels," José Miguel Gilpérez, CEO of Telefónica Spain, recently told Spanish newspaper El País. "When you buy a TV or any other consumer good, you pay for it. It is healthier that users pay for their devices and operators invest in networks and services."

For phone makers, any change by carriers could have an impact on the sales of high-end devices.

In the U.S., where contract plans and phone subsidies dominate, IDC says that around 90% of smartphone shipments over the past four years were for devices that cost more than $300—despite the recession and uncertain recovery. In Italy, where prepaid plans dominate, that proportion was 67% last year, and in crisis-hit Greece and Portugal, only about 40% of the smartphones shipped in 2011 cost more than $300.

the dividend is looking less likely but there's still a chance...it's a difficult company to read but I think they should reward shareholders v. buying something with an inflated valuation

edit: and when I say shortly, I mean 60 days. I could see a run to 550 but then a selloff. Part of me hopes for this as I'd like another correction so I can buy more at a cheaper entry.

as I suspected, that so called expert was wrong about the 526 top....hello $533 :thumbup:

I didn't read all the responses but I will say that if the iPhone 5 is not completely different Apple will lose some customers (including myself). I have had the 3GS for two and a half years now waiting for something better than the iPhone 4 and they have yet to release it. I will be jumping to Android in the fall if the iPhone 5 is not amazing.

I didn't read all the responses but I will say that if the iPhone 5 is not completely different Apple will lose some customers (including myself). I have had the 3GS for two and a half years now waiting for something better than the iPhone 4 and they have yet to release it. I will be jumping to Android in the fall if the iPhone 5 is not amazing.

I'll let the team know that you're drawing a line in the sand. We won't let you down, jwojdylo. :hifive:

Thanks for keeping us posted. This will surely effect my analysis of AAPL so let me know whether you decide to stay with AAPL or switch to Droid.

the dividend is looking less likely but there's still a chance...it's a difficult company to read but I think they should reward shareholders v. buying something with an inflated valuation

edit: and when I say shortly, I mean 60 days. I could see a run to 550 but then a selloff. Part of me hopes for this as I'd like another correction so I can buy more at a cheaper entry.

as I suspected, that so called expert was wrong about the 526 top....hello $533 :thumbup:
:shock: up another 8 points to 543....I love it when I bet the farm, spread the wealth around with my FBGs and I'm right :pickle:

AAPL dipping back down today to 535. Good time to add before the iPad 3 announcement.

AAPL dipping back down today to 535. Good time to add before the iPad 3 announcement.

I'm hoping we see 500 again so I can buy more options prior to ipad3 and iphone5...it's healthy for a stock to pull back after this type of run

Remember:

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

If past history is any guide, the experts and the media will be "disappointed" with the iPad3. It will be not enough of this, that and the other.

The stock will take a dive.

Then, lo and behold, they will find out consumers love it, and are buying it in droves.

Remember:

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

If past history is any guide, the experts and the media will be "disappointed" with the iPad3. It will be not enough of this, that and the other.

The stock will take a dive.

Then, lo and behold, they will find out consumers love it, and are buying it in droves.

yep....just added to my short term position based on the iTV evidence...let's see what happens: http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/06/new-apple-tv-ipad-hd/

I'm tempted to sell today, and buy back Friday after the dive. I can't imagine the iPad HD not underwhelming at this point. All the rumors are already out there, and perception is that this isn't a huge change.

I'll be ordering an iPad HD tomorrow, but I don't think investors will like the overall announcement.

I'm tempted to sell today, and buy back Friday after the dive. I can't imagine the iPad HD not underwhelming at this point. All the rumors are already out there, and perception is that this isn't a huge change.I'll be ordering an iPad HD tomorrow, but I don't think investors will like the overall announcement.

The show begins in 15 minutes or so, and right now Apple is up about $5 for the day. Everyone marking time... Edited by DiStefano

:thumbup: hello 550

AAPL: 561.47 :popcorn:

yeah, i want to buy in but am going to have to wait this one out until there is a dip to get some value.

yeah, i want to buy in but am going to have to wait this one out until there is a dip to get some value.
I keep raising my basis - bought 11 more shares yesterday at 551.

The wave is still raising bagger, come on in, the water's warm. :thumbup:

Edited by tommyGunZ

And less than a month later, we are over 564. After selling 2 options prematurely (493), kept the 4 I still had (march,april calls) and bought 2 june 560 calls which are now itm. Why I invest in anything else is silly, besides to be diversified a bit.eta: i'm always sad/happy when i sell the calls back. Have to dish off the march calls soon. Edited by optionmaven

And less than a month later, we are over 564. After selling 2 options prematurely (493), kept the 4 I still had (march,april calls) and bought 2 june 560 calls which are now itm. Why I invest in anything else is silly, besides to be diversified a bit.eta: i'm always sad/happy when i sell the calls back. Have to dish off the march calls soon.
wish i had taken my own advice...just happy i got what i did at 450

I'll let the team know that you're drawing a line in the sand. We won't let you down, jwojdylo. :hifive:
:lmao:

yeah, but AAPL doesn't have a HUGE valuation. I almost consider it a value play. Big difference and the only reason I'm still bullish...well that and all the future products/news worthy items dropping in the next 1-2 years.
:pickle: