What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (2 Viewers)

"margin was 47.4 percent compared to 41.4 percent in the year-ago quarter"You've got to be kidding me.
Why does this surprise you? What changed from last quarter to this quarter that would lead you to believe that they wouldn't maintain margins? :confused:

The market isn't forward looking no matter what people say, so it might be a couple years before its reflected in the market, but I'm 100% sure apple without Jobs isn't the same. Talk to me in 2014 after his pipeline has ran out.
What does this have to do with holding the stock in April 2012?
Nothing.I don't understand how the market is so short sighted and that issue has cost me money. I guess I'm hardheaded but I won't bet on a company if I look 2 years ahead and see warning flags all over the place. In 2009 I went big on apple, not due to how they were doing currently but due to what I saw going forward. The day after I invested rumors of jobs dying got reported and the stock took a beating, i looked like a moron for a month.I will admit fully in the short term I have zero idea of how a company will move, and have been wrong countless times. That's a part of investing (or gambling which is what the market actually is), and find me anyone who can be right 70%+ of the time short term and I'll believe in god.Call me an idiot today, but also be willing to call me a prophet a couple years from now.

The market isn't forward looking no matter what people say, so it might be a couple years before its reflected in the market, but I'm 100% sure apple without Jobs isn't the same. Talk to me in 2014 after his pipeline has ran out.
Nothing.I don't understand how the market is so short sighted and that issue has cost me money. I guess I'm hardheaded but I won't bet on a company if I look 2 years ahead and see warning flags all over the place. In 2009 I went big on apple, not due to how they were doing currently but due to what I saw going forward. The day after I invested rumors of jobs dying got reported and the stock took a beating, i looked like a moron for a month.I will admit fully in the short term I have zero idea of how a company will move, and have been wrong countless times. That's a part of investing (or gambling which is what the market actually is), and find me anyone who can be right 70%+ of the time short term and I'll believe in god.Call me an idiot today, but also be willing to call me a prophet a couple years from now.
I am sure you are absolutely right. You and the guys who keep talking about the financial collapse that is coming, will eventually be proved right, in the long run. But in the long run, we're all dead. In the meantime, there is money to be made in the short term.

"margin was 47.4 percent compared to 41.4 percent in the year-ago quarter"You've got to be kidding me.
Why does this surprise you? What changed from last quarter to this quarter that would lead you to believe that they wouldn't maintain margins? :confused:
Keeping the same form factor of the iPhone and iPad has reduced costs so much that the lower priced iPad and iPhones have maintained their high margins, I whiffed on that.As consumers are crying for the newly designed iPhone, investors might want to think about the increased costs of production. That said the new design will make up for the decreased margins with incredible sales of an lte iphone5, or new iPhone whatever they call it.I 100% whiffed on this quarter and the international sales were unbelievable. The margins shocked me, but the guidance for next quarter did warn of lowered margins.I will probably wait until after the jan 2013 earnings call to short, but at that time I will place huge bets on the short side.

I am sure you are absolutely right. You and the guys who keep talking about the financial collapse that is coming, will eventually be proved right, in the long run. But in the long run, we're all dead. In the meantime, there is money to be made in the short term.
I'm not someone calling for financial collapse, or apples collapse. Go read my apple posts from the past, I've been called one of the most obnoxious apple fans on here.In no way do I think apple is a bad company, i have an iphone, ipad, and macmini, I just think there are a lot more cons then pros looking forward.

I'm not someone calling for financial collapse, or apples collapse. Go read my apple posts from the past, I've been called one of the most obnoxious apple fans on here.In no way do I think apple is a bad company, i have an iphone, ipad, and macmini, I just think there are a lot more cons then pros looking forward.
I think the biggest problem is you're trying to project too far into the future, especially for a company like Apple. If this were the middle of last decade, you'd be crying about how Macs and iPods can't make this much money in two years. You're right, but simultaneously very wrong.(1) who the #### knows what Apple's going to look like in 2 years? You're predicting the end of something that's GUARANTEED to end.(2) Jobs et all kept talking about a rich pipeline; maybe they're telling the truth.(3) in the meantime, all that matters is that Apple's making a ####ton of money, and is actually fairly- to under-priced for that performance. You can't make money trying to predict how a two year forecast is going to change the stock price today.

I think the biggest problem is you're trying to project too far into the future, especially for a company like Apple. If this were the middle of last decade, you'd be crying about how Macs and iPods can't make this much money in two years. You're right, but simultaneously very wrong.(1) who the #### knows what Apple's going to look like in 2 years? You're predicting the end of something that's GUARANTEED to end.(2) Jobs et all kept talking about a rich pipeline; maybe they're telling the truth.(3) in the meantime, all that matters is that Apple's making a ####ton of money, and is actually fairly- to under-priced for that performance. You can't make money trying to predict how a two year forecast is going to change the stock price today.
You make a lot of good points. I have to learn the future is basically irrelevant in the stock market. The market doesn't react until the numbers slap them in the face.Maybe I overestimate Jobs contribution to the company. I truly believe he is the da Vinci of our generation. Da Vincis understudies couldn't replicate his visions, maybe apples understudies can.Being forward looking usually pays off in most cases, in the stock market it doesn't, and I have to punch myself to realize that point.

I'll give Tim Cook credit, the guy is an operations genius, possibly the best in the world. His ability to manage the supply chain and inventory is almost godly considering apples size.Steve jobs quote."I have my own theory about why decline happens at companies like IBM or Microsoft. The company does a great job, innovates and becomes a monopoly or close to it in some field, and then the quality of the product becomes less important. The company starts valuing the great salesmen, because they’re the ones who can move the needle on revenues, not the product engineers and designers. So the salespeople end up running the company. John Akers at IBM was a smart, eloquent, fantastic salesperson, but he didn’t know anything about product. The same thing happened at Xerox. When the sales guys run the company, the product guys don’t matter so much, and a lot of them just turn off. It happened at Apple when Sculley came in, which was my fault, and it happened when Ballmer took over at Microsoft. Apple was lucky and it rebounded, but I don’t think anything will change at Microsoft as long as Ballmer is running it"The thing that scares me most about apple going forward was reading the Jobs bio and realizing what an incredible genius he was. He was the Leonardo de Vinci of our generation and while we may not notice it for a few years in the end his absence will have an effect on apple, that is a 100% guarantee.Once in a generation visionaries don't grow on trees. Cook will maximize the Jobs visions, but what happens when the well runs dry?The market isn't forward looking no matter what people say, so it might be a couple years before its reflected in the market, but I'm 100% sure apple without Jobs isn't the same. Talk to me in 2014 after his pipeline has ran out.
I agree re: the concerns over the loss of Jobs.

Nothing.I don't understand how the market is so short sighted and that issue has cost me money. I guess I'm hardheaded but I won't bet on a company if I look 2 years ahead and see warning flags all over the place. In 2009 I went big on apple, not due to how they were doing currently but due to what I saw going forward. The day after I invested rumors of jobs dying got reported and the stock took a beating, i looked like a moron for a month.

I will admit fully in the short term I have zero idea of how a company will move, and have been wrong countless times. That's a part of investing (or gambling which is what the market actually is), and find me anyone who can be right 70%+ of the time short term and I'll believe in god.

Call me an idiot today, but also be willing to call me a prophet a couple years from now.
Why, because you're predicting this insane run by Apple is not sustainable forever? Pretty sure we're all prophets if that is where we set the bar.

You make a lot of good points. I have to learn the future is basically irrelevant in the stock market. The market doesn't react until the numbers slap them in the face.Maybe I overestimate Jobs contribution to the company. I truly believe he is the da Vinci of our generation. Da Vincis understudies couldn't replicate his visions, maybe apples understudies can.Being forward looking usually pays off in most cases, in the stock market it doesn't, and I have to punch myself to realize that point.
No, the market looks forward exactly like you are trying to do. And the fact is, AAPL is being held back (and has been for years) due to the fact that the market simple cannot fathom how a company will continue to be as successful as Apple has been. Apple "coming back to earth" is always priced into the stock. The problem is that there is no evidence pointing to that happening yet. You are starting with a premise (Apple cannot continue their success) and picking evidence that supports it, instead of examining all available evidence and coming to an informed opinion.

No, the market looks forward exactly like you are trying to do. And the fact is, AAPL is being held back (and has been for years) due to the fact that the market simple cannot fathom how a company will continue to be as successful as Apple has been. Apple "coming back to earth" is always priced into the stock. The problem is that there is no evidence pointing to that happening yet. You are starting with a premise (Apple cannot continue their success) and picking evidence that supports it, instead of examining all available evidence and coming to an informed opinion.
Forget about the future. Let's assume Apple stopped growing (and we know how likely that is), but just replicated its latest quarter. What would you have? A company which had $50 in earnings, and threw off $40 billion in cash in a year.At the a $600 share price, it would be 12 times earnings, which is below the market average. Assume they gave 75% of the cash to shareholders as a dividend (they would still keep adding to their $110 billion cash hoard), they would be giving shareholders $33 cash per share, which is a nice 5.5% yield. Any way you look at it, Apple is undervalued.Will the curve flatten? Of course it will. But there is still money to be made.

It got quiet in here...Maybe NEXT quarter's the one where they miss estimates and it comes crashing down..I'm not expecting to experience exponential growth into 2015, but this definitely still has room to run.
It got quiet in here...

It got quiet in here...Maybe NEXT quarter's the one where they miss estimates and it comes crashing down..I'm not expecting to experience exponential growth into 2015, but this definitely still has room to run.
It got quiet in here...
Took ~ 80% of my position off the table at 603, and the rest off at 581. I don't see any catalysts for the next couple months, so I think there's some room for the stock to fall and perhaps settle in the mid-low 5's, especially if Europe weighs on the market overall. I'll be looking to re-enter late summer ahead of the i5 redesign.

Mike Milken often talks about how Sony's stock performed before and after the passing of the legendary Akio Morita in 1999. Its a particularly interesting comparison/juxtapostion with Apple because of how intertwined the success and failure of these two respective companies are, and how key innovation has been to their product portfolios. Worth thinking about at least when contemplating the passing of Jobs and the future of Apple's stock, imo.

Mike Milken often talks about how Sony's stock performed before and after the passing of the legendary Akio Morita in 1999. Its a particularly interesting comparison/juxtapostion with Apple because of how intertwined the success and failure of these two respective companies are, and how key innovation has been to their product portfolios. Worth thinking about at least when contemplating the passing of Jobs and the future of Apple's stock, imo.
Was Sony as profitable as Apple is currently, and will continue to be for the next ~ half decade? I get the innovation angle, but Apple is literally printing money right now and growth seems to be locked in based on the immaturity of markets in China, India, etc.

Was Sony as profitable as Apple is currently, and will continue to be for the next ~ half decade? I get the innovation angle, but Apple is literally printing money right now and growth seems to be locked in based on the immaturity of markets in China, India, etc.
Milken is conveniently forgetting the AAPL halo. Sony never had that.

It got quiet in here...
Took ~ 80% of my position off the table at 603, and the rest off at 581. I don't see any catalysts for the next couple months, so I think there's some room for the stock to fall and perhaps settle in the mid-low 5's, especially if Europe weighs on the market overall. I'll be looking to re-enter late summer ahead of the i5 redesign.
This strategy works for the trader or the conservative investor. I don't want to time this thing as they haven't given me a reason to sell. I got stopped out on some shares but still about 50% of my portfolio in AAPL. Still holding out for iP5, TV and China/India and will add call options accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you even heard Milken's statements? What makes you say this?

Maybe not to the extent that apple has it but sony definitely had this effect. Sony tv to sony vcr...then hook it up to sony home theatre. This is based only on my personal experience but in the mid-late 90's i had to have everything sony and so did my friends.

:goodposting: In the last quarter:ATT: 78% of Smartphones sold were iPhonesVerizon: 51% of Smartphones sold were iPhonesSprint:: 60% of Smartphones sold were iPhonesOverall, 63% of the Smartphones sold on the big 3 carriers were iPhones. Apple is, indeed, printing cash right now.

It got quiet in here...
still about 50% of my portfolio in AAPL.
Sounds like a great plan.

:goodposting: In the last quarter:ATT: 78% of Smartphones sold were iPhonesVerizon: 51% of Smartphones sold were iPhonesSprint:: 60% of Smartphones sold were iPhonesOverall, 63% of the Smartphones sold on the big 3 carriers were iPhones. Apple is, indeed, printing cash right now.
Yep. The biggest concerns (IMO) are whether they can continue innovating at this pace (unlikely) and the margins in international markets - i.e. will Chinese and Indian telecoms subsidize iPhones in order to make them affordable for the masses.

It got quiet in here...
Yeah, only up over 50% YTD...nothing to see here
I won't get into this silly slap fight (I made a good amount in AAPL but am on the sidelines now). I just found it funny that Misc. was so quick to call out the bears for being quiet after earnings, yet here we are now with the bulls mysteriously quiet with another hard drop.AAPL is sitting right on support at around 565ish. If it breaks thru here, I can see a drop to 535ish with 516 squarely in it's sights. If it gets to that 516 level, I may jump back in.

It got quiet in here...

Maybe NEXT quarter's the one where they miss estimates and it comes crashing down.

I'm not expecting to experience exponential growth into 2015, but this definitely still has room to run.
It got quiet in here...
I won't get into this silly slap fight (I made a good amount in AAPL but am on the sidelines now). I just found it funny that Misc. was so quick to call out the bears for being quiet after earnings, yet here we are now with the bulls mysteriously quiet with another hard drop.AAPL is sitting right on support at around 565ish. If it breaks thru here, I can see a drop to 535ish with 516 squarely in it's sights. If it gets to that 516 level, I may jump back in.
I would LOVE to see that happen. :BOATLOADS:

It got quiet in here...
still about 50% of my portfolio in AAPL.
Sounds like a great plan.
It's done well for me the past 3 or 4 years :shrug: I'm 36. I can tolerate risk.

It got quiet in here...
thats where i am looking to hop in.

Milken's focus wasn't on the numbers on the balance sheets and income statements. It was on the confidence level. Confidence is a much larger factor in worth today than when Morita passed away. Don't believe me? Ask Wachovia. From an income statement perspective there was no reason to panic, but people did anyway. This is the factor Milken has talked about in the past and I wouldn't write him off completely. I figure Jobs had a two year plan in place. All the current regime has to do is manage it and they will be fine. The big unknown comes when direction actually has to be given by the new regime. That's when I start watching closely.

It got quiet in here...

Maybe NEXT quarter's the one where they miss estimates and it comes crashing down.

I'm not expecting to experience exponential growth into 2015, but this definitely still has room to run.
It got quiet in here...
Here we go...

It got quiet in here...

It got quiet in here...
Here we go...
:thumbup: Great call Ned. My powder is dry and I am ready to pounce.

I'd be interested to see what the S3 announce does to AAPL. If that is well thought of (and it should be) with no firm 5 date could see a pretty good pull back. There are some really bad signs right now on the legacy products that were not there in the last cycle. Those legacy products were gravy in the past and now it's more like curdled milk.

The broader market is really pulling this down which historically (the last 5-8 years) has been a good time to buy. Definitely looking at another entry, probably the low 500s now.

I'd be interested to see what the S3 announce does to AAPL. If that is well thought of (and it should be) with no firm 5 date could see a pretty good pull back. There are some really bad signs right now on the legacy products that were not there in the last cycle. Those legacy products were gravy in the past and now it's more like curdled milk.
S3? Samsung's phone? Wasn't that announced a couple of weeks ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
It got quiet in here...
Oh, sorry - was I supposed to keep posting in here? Yes, I'm still happily holding a full position (4% of my portfolio) in a stock that has a P/E ratio of 13 and a 5-year growth rate of 58%. On a cost basis of $96.As long as they hit their numbers next quarter, I'd imagine everyone will regain sanity, and it'll be up another 15-20%.I do agree - it's in a transition from growth stock to money-printing value stock. But AS A VALUE STOCK, it's a great buy today.I was just laughing about the number of people who got caught with their pants around their ankles - 'I bet it'll miss the numbers this quarter'; 'I'm short a huge amount - no way this keeps going up.' I really don't care what the stock price is today.

Well, launches. End of month is what I was led to believe here.

I'm thinking it will only directly effect the previous latest/greatest Android flavor of the quarter.

Looking into some October call options which will take us into iPhone 5 release. Don't see much downside unless the market collapses.

I'm thinking it will only directly effect the previous latest/greatest Android flavor of the quarter.
Samsung is trending towards consolidating a brand with a solid product and will have a 6 month head start. It is absolutely the biggest threat right now. ICS is a very, very strong OS as well and I greatly prefer it to iOS5 right now. I'm in a unique position to use basically every mobile platform/device out there before, during, and after launch and I would be worried about losing ground before the 5 and ipadnano launches. Betting on Apple with Jobs dead and buried in this environment is super risky. I am a buyer at anything under 500 FWIW.

'culdeus said:
'One said:
'culdeus said:
'tommyGunZ said:
Samsung is trending towards consolidating a brand with a solid product and will have a 6 month head start. It is absolutely the biggest threat right now. ICS is a very, very strong OS as well and I greatly prefer it to iOS5 right now. I'm in a unique position to use basically every mobile platform/device out there before, during, and after launch and I would be worried about losing ground before the 5 and ipadnano launches. Betting on Apple with Jobs dead and buried in this environment is super risky. I am a buyer at anything under 500 FWIW.
Sup Culd, I agree with you on most points and feel that if I didn't have my iPhone, I'd be just as thrilled to have an ICS Android device, but the differences, short of larger screens are so minimal that they mostly boil down to personal preferences. I was so completely wrong about the last iPhone 4S sales before it came out, a device that's almost exactly like the iPhone 4, that I won't dare to bet against the re-designed iPhone 5 sales/demand/profits being through the roof as well.

Won't the i5 redesign + LTE be the biggest overall step forward since the iPhone came out?

I'd be stunned if sales weren't astronomical.

'culdeus said:
'One said:
'culdeus said:
'tommyGunZ said:
Sup Culd, I agree with you on most points and feel that if I didn't have my iPhone, I'd be just as thrilled to have an ICS Android device, but the differences, short of larger screens are so minimal that they mostly boil down to personal preferences. I was so completely wrong about the last iPhone 4S sales before it came out, a device that's almost exactly like the iPhone 4, that I won't dare to bet against the re-designed iPhone 5 sales/demand/profits being through the roof as well.
I guess. Everything, and I mean everything depends on how the carriers play the contract discounts at launch. They were really liberal letting people go the last time around for fear they would jump to Sprint/VZW if they didn't bend over. I mean last time out you had people with basically new 3GS selling them on craigslist for 250 and paying 200 to swap to 4S. Unless you were holding on to some ancient 3G model you made money on that transaction. Eventually the man catches up with you. See: Ticketmaster, Stubhub, Ebay, et. all. I just applied for carrier unlock on my 4 so I don't have to mess with the hassle of preserving baseband on updates, but hell just a stock 4 is still worth a premium to the contract price 3 years later!AT&T etc. is overpaying. It's just a matter if they care.

'culdeus said:
'One said:
'culdeus said:
'tommyGunZ said:
I'm not an Apple fan boy and I'm not a Droid fan boy, but...I have an Motorola 4G Atrix 2 droid phone that I got back in December 2011 (obviously, there are much better droid phones out there now). My woman has an Apple iPhone 4. She has had her for phone for over a year now. She actually just said last night "I feel like your phone is so much more user friendly."

I think the truth of the matter is that Apple has some catching up to do and this iPhone 5 better get it done.

Also, Apple's biggest thing going for it now is name recognition. It's almost like a Starter jacket. Who cares what it looks like or does...it's Apple. I really do think they could come out with an Apple iTurd and it'll sell like crazy.

:lmao:

AT&T etc. is overpaying. It's just a matter if they care.
I'm sure they care, but can they do anything about it? The iPhone was 78% of their smartphone sales last quarter. Apple is holding all the cards right now.
I doubt that will hold this quarter. Anyways, the most striking sign is their willingness to do factory unlocks now. This is an abrupt 180 seemingly out of nowhere. Sprint also saying it will be 3+years before they get back their investment is telling, as is the VZW changes to their 3g/4g plans.

Even at 100 a month these users just don't seem to be bringing in anything but revenue it would seem, and then force deployment of huge infrastructure just to support it all.

Someone is going to have to blink here.

'One said:
'culdeus said:
'One said:
'culdeus said:
'tommyGunZ said:
I'm not an Apple fan boy and I'm not a Droid fan boy, but...I have an Motorola 4G Atrix 2 droid phone that I got back in December 2011 (obviously, there are much better droid phones out there now). My woman has an Apple iPhone 4. She has had her for phone for over a year now. She actually just said last night "I feel like your phone is so much more user friendly."

I think the truth of the matter is that Apple has some catching up to do and this iPhone 5 better get it done.

Also, Apple's biggest thing going for it now is name recognition. It's almost like a Starter jacket. Who cares what it looks like or does...it's Apple. I really do think they could come out with an Apple iTurd and it'll sell like crazy.

Cool story, Hansel.
:confused: Okay.

'One said:
I'm not an Apple fan boy and I'm not a Droid fan boy, but...

I have an Motorola 4G Atrix 2 droid phone that I got back in December 2011 (obviously, there are much better droid phones out there now). My woman has an Apple iPhone 4. She has had her for phone for over a year now. She actually just said last night "I feel like your phone is so much more user friendly."

Cool story, Hansel.
Sorry eoMMan, just feels like I've read this post over 100 times over the last few years.

Preface:

First off, (I, my wife or my kid) own an (iPod, iPad or iPhone) so this means I'm neutral and not an Apple Hater.

Body:

The other day my (Friend, spouse or co-worker) said (insert negative comment about an iPhone or iPad) about their iPhone and now I think Apple is going down the tubes. This new Android phone is coming out next week and THIS will definately be the iPhone Killer.

Conclusion:

Apple is the king of marketing, Apple Fanboys will mindlessly buy anything, they can make an iTurd, iToilet, iUnderwear ect.. and it'll sell like hotcakes even though it's inferior because only dumb people buy Apple products.
...Meanwhile Apple continues to produce quality hardware and software, sell them like hotcakes and make profits, hand over fist.

'One said:

I have an Motorola 4G Atrix 2 droid phone that I got back in December 2011 (obviously, there are much better droid phones out there now). My woman has an Apple iPhone 4. She has had her for phone for over a year now. She actually just said last night "I feel like your phone is so much more user friendly."

Cool story, Hansel.
Sorry eoMMan, just feels like I've read this post over 100 times over the last few years.

Preface:

First off, (I, my wife or my kid) own an (iPod, iPad or iPhone) so this means I'm neutral and not an Apple Hater.

Body:

The other day my (Friend, spouse or co-worker) said (insert negative comment about an iPhone or iPad) about their iPhone and now I think Apple is going down the tubes. This new Android phone is coming out next week and THIS will definately be the iPhone Killer.

Conclusion:

Apple is the king of marketing, Apple Fanboys will mindlessly buy anything, they can make an iTurd, iToilet, iUnderwear ect.. and it'll sell like hotcakes even though it's inferior because only dumb people buy Apple products.
...Meanwhile Apple continues to produce quality hardware and software, sell them like hotcakes and make profits, hand over fist.
And Justin Bieber continues to sell millions of songs/records.

'One said:

Cool story, Hansel.

Preface:

Body:

Conclusion:

We are talking about a stock here, right?

'One said:

Cool story, Hansel.

Preface:

Body:

Conclusion:

We are talking about a stock here, right?
I thought eoMMan was talking about an actual product.

Users who are viewing this thread