Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
hustedj

Directv NFL Ticket....

Ordered already, and they don't bill you till it ships. The line you bolded above states "for fans unable to receive DirecTV service", which isn't me as I am able to receive it, I just choose not to. Apparently EA has come out and said that you don't need to have DirecTV service, even if you can have it. I'm going on that assumption. I'm also planning on selling the game itself when I get it.

Here's hoping I just got Sunday Ticket and the RedZone channel for a net of about $40!

If you sell the game you definitely should get $60 back for it, considering it's the $100 anniversary edition. I'd ask $80 and go as low as $60. For $40 it's hard to beat this deal, assuming you don't have or want Direct TV. I remember last year they had NFL Sunday Ticket streaming on the PS3, but it cost $300 I believe. That was too much for me to pay for just NFL Sunday Ticket. I would have probably signed up for the PS3 streaming if it were $100-$150 range, but not $300.

That's the way I feel as well. The only games I REALLY care about are my Redskins, and I get those over the air in GLORIOUS HD. I'd also love to be able to watch Aaron Rodgers tally up some huge numbers for my fantasy team in real-time, though, and for that I'll pay $40. I'm really hoping the deal works the way I want it to, though.

I already have a few discounts on my account and I just received DirecTV's new HDDVR for free with a two-year contract re-up.

So, through $25/month in credits for six months, I was happy to get NFL Ticket with Max essentially for the cost of the Max upgrade for $75.

Edited by Sandeman

Just called, currently under contract, already have several credits so knew there was little they would offer. Best deal was $150 for Sunday Ticket. I brought up the Amazon $100 Madden purchase that gets you free ST and he agreed that was the better deal at this time. Said (and most of us know this) the closer we get to the season the better the deals will be. So nothing done at this time.

Just pre-ordered XBOX 360 Madden. Did away with DTV couple years ago as it wasn't worth the $120+/mo bill just to get Sunday Ticket (even getting it for free most years).

If anyone's interested in game, feel free to PM. Will be throwing on Craigslist/Ebay

Just pre-ordered XBOX 360 Madden. Did away with DTV couple years ago as it wasn't worth the $120+/mo bill just to get Sunday Ticket (even getting it for free most years).

If anyone's interested in game, feel free to PM. Will be throwing on Craigslist/Ebay

Ditto that for the PS3 version.

With HDTV over the air and NetFlix/Hulu, I'm kinda hoping DTV calls my bluff. I would love to save the 100-150 a month. Go ahead and tell me to cancel. I'll drop them like a bad habit. Please let me cancel...go ahead. I'll try OTA and Netflix and if i want to come back, guess what? I'm a new subscriber now and get a better deal than I am currently paying for!

I timed my call just right I think. Very politely explained to the first tier support that i was calling to cancel because the price was too high. I also explained that my Choice package was being offered to new customers for $40 per month while I was paying $97. Granted, I have two HD DVRs to go with it but still! So she calmly transfers me over to the Fixers, otherwise known as Customer Retention Dept. I explain the same story to them and add in how we only have DTV for the ST. Again I stress that the bill is way too high and its not worth keeping at this point because, well, I'm not going to pay for the Ticket at $300. Her first offer was to cut the bill from 97 to $47 and to throw in the Ticket for free. Ah, ok I said. Is that with the Red Zone Channel, because thats the meat of the ST. She then adds that in as well. The only thing they wanted was a one year agreement ($10 per month ETF). I couldn't say "YES" fast enough. I've already checked my bill and its on there. Yahoo!!!

With HDTV over the air and NetFlix/Hulu, I'm kinda hoping DTV calls my bluff. I would love to save the 100-150 a month. Go ahead and tell me to cancel. I'll drop them like a bad habit. Please let me cancel...go ahead. I'll try OTA and Netflix and if i want to come back, guess what? I'm a new subscriber now and get a better deal than I am currently paying for!

I know I'm probably on an island here, but this isn't exactly how it works. I ended up dropping DTV 3 yrs ago (went to dish when they started doing RZ for free also with cheaper prices)... now when they have amazing new DTV deals w/ free ST, etc I am not eligible because not considered a "new" subscriber because I had DTV in the past. Kinda odd as you would think they'd want me to switch from Dish, but I have been told multiple times those deals don't apply to me and I said "OK I'll stick with Dish and Redzone if that's the case" and that's what happened. I can't really explain why this makes any sense from a business angle, but they seem to treat ex-DTV subscribers differently if you ever think about getting it back.

Hey Cheese. This is actually my second DTV account. This one is in the wife's name. However, I don't think they mind either way.

Not sure if this has been discussed in the thread already, but for anyone looking to get the Sunday ticket to go on your laptop or PS3 for about $50 to $60, the Madden 25th anniversary edition that is exclusive to the Amazone website includes a code to access Sunday ticket to go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF7KVGE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is $99, but if you just want the code, you could turn around and sell the game for $50 easy on cragslist....

Jesus, I just read up a few posts, sorry for the blatant re-post of stuff you guys already know.

Edited by ahartig

I timed my call just right I think. Very politely explained to the first tier support that i was calling to cancel because the price was too high. I also explained that my Choice package was being offered to new customers for $40 per month while I was paying $97. Granted, I have two HD DVRs to go with it but still! So she calmly transfers me over to the Fixers, otherwise known as Customer Retention Dept. I explain the same story to them and add in how we only have DTV for the ST. Again I stress that the bill is way too high and its not worth keeping at this point because, well, I'm not going to pay for the Ticket at $300. Her first offer was to cut the bill from 97 to $47 and to throw in the Ticket for free. Ah, ok I said. Is that with the Red Zone Channel, because thats the meat of the ST. She then adds that in as well. The only thing they wanted was a one year agreement ($10 per month ETF). I couldn't say "YES" fast enough. I've already checked my bill and its on there. Yahoo!!!

damn, you got $50 bucks off monthly and the ticket for free?

I've heard the quality of the streams aren't the greatest, but for ~$50/yr willing to give it a shot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489400

I believe I had to Go 2-3 years ago with my Ticket. Seem to recall the streams being very choppy.

The PS3 app was pretty flawless last year in my experience. The computer app was not that great though.

I also found something interesting in another forum thread. "The code from Madden grants a Direct TV account (established by registering a username and password at the DTV website) access to the tablet/computer version of the Sunday ticket, fortunately, that access also worked (and hopefully will work this year) on the PS3 app (the PS3 app would require you sign in using a DTV account)."

Because from the above linked review, it seems like the streaming quality on a PS3 is better than streaming quality on your PC. And I have a PS3 to try this on. So hopefully the code works like last year, and I can access NFL Sunday Ticket on my PS3, if it is indeed better quality.

Either way though, I can deal with average quality, as long as I can watch my Fantasy team players.

Sounds like you quoted my thread post from the AVS forum, this is all true based on my experience from last year. Anyone want more detailed info feel free to PM me.

Edited by ahartig

damn, you got $50 bucks off monthly and the ticket for free?

Yes. Yes I did. All for a one year commitment though. And, at $10 per month for the ETF, I could cancel now and still make out..:happydance:

So I just signed up for DirecTV for the first time last year. They gave me the world. I was curious to see what they would do for me this year.

I spent more time on hold than haggling. I told them Dish was going to give me everything plus a free IPad. They threw Sunday Ticket Max at me and another $41.50 in credits for a year (I have the top package.) $858 in savings over the year. Stupidly easy.

I also found something interesting in another forum thread. "The code from Madden grants a Direct TV account (established by registering a username and password at the DTV website) access to the tablet/computer version of the Sunday ticket, fortunately, that access also worked (and hopefully will work this year) on the PS3 app (the PS3 app would require you sign in using a DTV account)."

Because from the above linked review, it seems like the streaming quality on a PS3 is better than streaming quality on your PC. And I have a PS3 to try this on. So hopefully the code works like last year, and I can access NFL Sunday Ticket on my PS3, if it is indeed better quality.

Either way though, I can deal with average quality, as long as I can watch my Fantasy team players.

Sounds like you quoted my thread post from the AVS forum, this is all true based on my experience from last year. Anyone want more detailed info feel free to PM me.

Yeah, I found your post when I was googling reviews of the streaming quality. I hope we can watch on the PS3 this year too. On the Amazon page, one of the FAQ questions says this:

Can I watch NFL Sunday Ticket on my PS3 by purchasing the Anniversary Edition?

No, this only provides access to NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.

But I'm hopeful we still might be able to view it on the PS3 too. If not, not a big deal, still want to watch Sunday Ticket regardless.

Can I watch NFL Sunday Ticket on my PS3 by purchasing the Anniversary Edition?

No, this only provides access to NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.

Ya, I'm guessing this is just PR speak in the hope of deterring people from using it on the PS3. But who knows.... no announcements yet for PS3 or Xbox.

Nicely done. :)

That's how my call went last year, too. Hoping for the same this year...

Best deal I could get without extending contract was:

1/2 off sunday ticket MAXX ($349 --> $149)

$20 off per month x 12mo (-$240)

Free showtime x 3 months

Free sports package x 3 months

She agreed to give me Sunday ticket for free if I decided to extend my contract for a year but I wasnt willing to do that.

Free showtime x 3 months

She agreed to give me Sunday ticket for free if I decided to extend my contract for a year but I wasnt willing to do that.

You should have extended the contract. There is only a $10 per month ETF. So even if you cancel in September (2months away), your ETF would only be $100.

$149>$100....imho...

ST Max free

Genie + 2 mini Genie's free

Upgrade to Extra package

Comped HD fees x 2 years

$27 rebate per month

HBO/Showtime, etc for 3 months comped.

Great call w/ very quick Genie install.

Just tried. Real happy!

Signed up April 2012.. Bill was 64.00 year two it jumped to 122.00, I called April 2013 got it down to 97.00 (HDTV DVR in living room) and two small bedroom Hd boxes)

After reading today I called, mentioned Netflix and Hulu wife wants to survive on that. Guy transfers me says dont forget to mention that and tell them to make you happy. He transfers me and she immediately offers me 20.00 off a month so down to $74.00 I then mentioned that's great but netflix is still so much cheaper would I be able to get NFL ST he said sure, I go awesome that's with Redzone?? She said aww I guess I can give you Redzone too.

Pumped. Ill be able to watch during Bills away games

Free showtime x 3 months

You should have extended the contract. There is only a $10 per month ETF. So even if you cancel in September (2months away), your ETF would only be $100.

$149>$100....imho...

It was tempting but I still have 6 months left on my contract. Also, it was ST without MAXX that they were offering for free. shrug

I called today. Contract ended, been with them for 7 yrs. But I don't have a big bill (~$60 or so). They gave me $15/mo off for 12 months. Offered ST for free, I asked for Max but they said $147 for that. We negotiated for free RZ Channel with free ST. I had to do 12mo contract, but that's fine. It will expire before football season next yr, so I have leverage. I just wanted free ST, so I'm happy.

I called today. Contract ended, been with them for 7 yrs. But I don't have a big bill (~$60 or so). They gave me $15/mo off for 12 months. Offered ST for free, I asked for Max but they said $147 for that. We negotiated for free RZ Channel with free ST. I had to do 12mo contract, but that's fine. It will expire before football season next yr, so I have leverage. I just wanted free ST, so I'm happy.

Here's something interesting. I went online e to my account and was browsing the "My Programming" section. It has a place to up grade to ST Max at "$18.75/mo for 4 mo." That's $75. So looks like one can accept ST for free, then upgrade for $75 and not pay $150 they offer for Max.

Free Sunday Ticket

Free RedZone Channel

$20 off for 12 Months

$10 off for 12 Months

$3 off for 12 Months

Ordered already, and they don't bill you till it ships. The line you bolded above states "for fans unable to receive DirecTV service", which isn't me as I am able to receive it, I just choose not to. Apparently EA has come out and said that you don't need to have DirecTV service, even if you can have it. I'm going on that assumption. I'm also planning on selling the game itself when I get it.

Here's hoping I just got Sunday Ticket and the RedZone channel for a net of about $40!

If you sell the game you definitely should get $60 back for it, considering it's the $100 anniversary edition. I'd ask $80 and go as low as $60. For $40 it's hard to beat this deal, assuming you don't have or want Direct TV. I remember last year they had NFL Sunday Ticket streaming on the PS3, but it cost $300 I believe. That was too much for me to pay for just NFL Sunday Ticket. I would have probably signed up for the PS3 streaming if it were $100-$150 range, but not $300.

That's the way I feel as well. The only games I REALLY care about are my Redskins, and I get those over the air in GLORIOUS HD. I'd also love to be able to watch Aaron Rodgers tally up some huge numbers for my fantasy team in real-time, though, and for that I'll pay $40. I'm really hoping the deal works the way I want it to, though.

How does buying the Madden game work though if you are a current Direct TV customer, but don't have Sunday Ticket. That is where I'm at right now and it doesn't seem to be very clear on that on Amazon.

Still under contract called and said we were going to pull the plug and go Hulu and Netflix. Was offered ST for free, asked for max for iPad viewing and said no problem! Was also given show time for free for 4 months. No change to my contract or monthly bill. Was offered Genie for free to but it would add 2 year contract so I passed. Already getting like 20-25 credits per month so no additional credit but I'm thrilled to get ST max for free! Retention department is key (told first level agent I was calling to cancel my account and immediately transferred by the way)

How does buying the Madden game work though if you are a current Direct TV customer, but don't have Sunday Ticket. That is where I'm at right now and it doesn't seem to be very clear on that on Amazon.

From the Amazon page, For fans who are already DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket Max subscribers, you can access NFL Sunday Ticket on your computer, tablet, and mobile devices using your current DirecTV username and password.

My take, if you have DirecTV, but don't have Sunday Ticket, you'd still only get the NFL Sunday Ticket on your computer, tablet, and mobile devices. The deal doesn't seem to be that good for current DirecTV subscribers, vs. trying to call and push your luck with the retention department. The Madden deal only really seems good for people who can't get or don't want DirecTV service. Because even if you are a new DirecTV customer, they throw in NFL Sunday Ticket for free anyways.

Edited by Fantasy Fool

ST Max free

Upgrade to Extra package

Comped HD fees x 2 years

$27 rebate per month

Did you have to agree to a new contract?

ST Max free

Upgrade to Extra package

Comped HD fees x 2 years

$27 rebate per month

Did you have to agree to a new contract?

Whats up JGB, ...the only way to get the Genie is to agree to a 2 year commitment (friend works for Direct TV), unless your a new customer of corse.

Whats up JGB, ...the only way to get the Genie is to agree to a 2 year commitment (friend works for Direct TV), unless your a new customer of corse.

Thanks Buck.

Tried to send you a PM and FBG's said you can't receive any more messages. Shoot me a message when you have time.

Edited by J Giles Band

$45 off my bill for 12 months

$45 additional off current bill

Free Sunday ticket

Free Redzone channel

Free Starz for 6 months

Free Showtime for 4 months

12 month commitment. Easy call and didn't even have to negotiate. Hulu and Netflix are the magic words.

Called last night, been with them 13 months:

$15/month discount for 12 months

$10/month discount for 12 months

Free Showtime and Starz for 3 months

Free Sunday Ticket Max

Couldn't get the Genie upgrade, don't want to extend for another year yet.

Netflix and Hulu route worked for me.

Just called, currently under contract, already have several credits so knew there was little they would offer. Best deal was $150 for Sunday Ticket. I brought up the Amazon $100 Madden purchase that gets you free ST and he agreed that was the better deal at this time. Said (and most of us know this) the closer we get to the season the better the deals will be. So nothing done at this time.

Just making sure I get this right... I pre-order Madden and I get ST streaming on my computer without paying some extra premium? $100 gets me the games I want and I can resell the Madden when I'm done? I am seeing precisely zero downside, making me think there's a catch somewhere that I'm missing....

Netflix and Hulu haven't worked for me so far, two calls and so far only $11 off the Max price and both said that's all they can do.

Normally I call every year with no intention of moving but I'm actually seriously considering it now if I can't get anything better from them. Watching less TV these days and really the NFL is the only thing that keeps me connected with them. If they stick to this price and no other discounts, screw that.

Just making sure I get this right... I pre-order Madden and I get ST streaming on my computer without paying some extra premium? $100 gets me the games I want and I can resell the Madden when I'm done? I am seeing precisely zero downside, making me think there's a catch somewhere that I'm missing....

Yep.

The only downside is there are some concern with quality of online streaming through DTV. I pre-ordered Madden as the online code is definitely worth the $50 as I don't have cable as I don't do much TV watching outside NFL season.

DirecTV is in for a world of hurt if they don't retain Sunday Ticket. They may not see the benefit of retaining it (due to other companies offering Red Zone, etc... alternatives), but Directv will take a Best Buy like plummet if they don't.

Just finished..

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

$38 off Premier Package - 12 Months

$10 off DVR Service - 12 Months

$30 off Premium Channels - 6 Months

$15 off Monthly Credit - 12 Months

15 year customer - Out of contract - Up'd for 1 year by accepting Sunday Ticket offer

:hifive:

No catch. But if you look I called back about 2 weeks later and ended up getting ST Max for FREE. Just keep trying. The Madden thing is a worst case scenario but I wouldn't settle for that.

Just finished..

15 year customer - Out of contract - Up'd for 1 year by accepting Sunday Ticket offer

how did you get this?

Threaten to leave or what? That seems like the best deal so far

No catch. But if you look I called back about 2 weeks later and ended up getting ST Max for FREE. Just keep trying. The Madden thing is a worst case scenario but I wouldn't settle for that.

But I'm not a DirecTV subscriber as it is. I already ragequit cable and am going the Netflix/Hulu route. NFL is the only downside to this equation, but if I can get my football (even more football than I could get previously) in addition without having to pay for the Oxygen Channel as well, I'm in.

Just finished..

I must have bad luck. I've gotten them to throw in the Max package free but they repeatedly (3 different calls) say they cant give me credits on top of the max package... I'm not under contract and I'm a 8 year customer.

10 year subscriber, got the following without hassle. Played the "wife is killing me over the bill" card after saying "cancel service" at the prompt. I don't know if I got customer retention whoever I got was new as he kept putting me on hold.

$15 credit for a year, so x 12 = $180

$11 discount on monthly ST Maxx payments, now $39 X 6 rather than $50

So $235 for ST Max - $180 credit = $55 for ST Max. I'll take it, especially since I'm under contract for another 9 months.

Just finished..

how did you get this?

One thing in my favor is that I have a lot of room to go down ($175 monthly bill) and have been a customer for 15 years.

Here's what I did.

1. Tell the automated system 'Cancel Account'

2. Tell the first person you're routed to that you'd like to cancel, listen to his offer, tell him you respectfully decline and would like to cancel.

3. Tell the second person you'd like to cancel. He'll make you an initial offer, don't even bat an eye at it. Be nice, but let him know Dish is starving for your business and you'd like to save a lot of money without changing your programming. Research what Dish is offering on their site that is comperable to what you currently have, tell him a Dish agent offered you a price of [25-30% lower than what the Dish site quotes]. The DTV agent will be all over the Dish site on your call and tell you 'that's way lower than what the Dish site says', tell him they're offering you 6 months of a very low initial rate, then a number of monthly comps like what DTV does for the remainder of your 2 year contract. DTV agent will suddenly act like he found a new deal to offer on top of what he originally gave you, then if you feel like you're comfortable with that offer, tell him you'll take it if he throws in the Sunday Ticket.

- Never mention the NFL Sunday Ticket until toward the end. that's a throw and it's easy for them to add and offer it.

- Act very confident in your decision to switch to Dish. I'm usually very nice, but sure & stern. If you don't act like he's wasting your time and you'd like to get the cancellation over-with, the agent will try to talk you out of it for a while.

Just finished..

how did you get this?

One thing in my favor is that I have a lot of room to go down ($175 monthly bill) and have been a customer for 15 years.

Here's what I did.

2. Tell the first person you're routed to that you'd like to cancel, listen to his offer, tell him you respectfully decline and would like to cancel.

3. Tell the second person you'd like to cancel. He'll make you an initial offer, don't even bat an eye at it. Be nice, but let him know Dish is starving for your business and you'd like to save a lot of money without changing your programming. Research what Dish is offering on their site that is comperable to what you currently have, tell him a Dish agent offered you a price of [25-30% lower than what the Dish site quotes]. The DTV agent will be all over the Dish site on your call and tell you 'that's way lower than what the Dish site says', tell him they're offering you 6 months of a very low initial rate, then a number of monthly comps like what DTV does for the remainder of your 2 year contract. DTV agent will suddenly act like he found a new deal to offer on top of what he originally gave you, then if you feel like you're comfortable with that offer, tell him you'll take it if he throws in the Sunday Ticket.

- Never mention the NFL Sunday Ticket until toward the end. that's a throw and it's easy for them to add and offer it.

- Act very confident in your decision to switch to Dish. I'm usually very nice, but sure & stern. If you don't act like he's wasting your time and you'd like to get the cancellation over-with, the agent will try to talk you out of it for a while.

this is solid advice. also, as long as your billing is in good standing, there are monthly promos that you become eligible for. I check these regularly.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

Just finished..

how did you get this?

Here's what I did.

this is solid advice. also, as long as your billing is in good standing, there are monthly promos that you become eligible for. I check these regularly.

Where do you check them? On the DTV website, or by calling them up to uncover them?

Just did the annual dance:

Sunday Ticket (plus Red Zone Channel) for free - does not include Max, but no biggie for me

$45 off my bill per month, for the next 12 months ($540)

A one time $50 credit off my bill

I mentioned Dish Network has a promotion for $49 a month for their service, plus they give you a free iPad 2. But as others have said, when the first person answers the phone, just say you want to cancel your service. Don't mention anything else, they'll transfer you to a 'retention specialist'. This is where they ask why you're cancelling, I mentioned Dish network, plus my bill is too high.

Just made my yearly call - said "Cancel" to the automated system until I got a nice guy in Client Retention.

I got:

- NFL Sunday Ticket MAX for free

- $100 Visa Gift card

- Encore & Starz for free for 6 months and they will automatically drop off so I don't need to remember to cancel them

He told me he couldn't get me any monthly service discounts at this time given what I already get discounted each month....BUT....he said I should call back in a month or two and get through to Client Retention again and ask for a monthly discount then. He said the offers available to individual accounts can change every month or two and I might be able to get a discount then. Thought it was nice of him to let me know that.

Just finished..

how did you get this?

Here's what I did.

Where do you check them? On the DTV website, or by calling them up to uncover them?

Calling in