What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (3 Viewers)

Just made the annual call. Not quite as lucrative as some past years, but still worth the 30 minute investment in time. Called the main line, said "cancel service", basically said I would like the same deal as new customers or I would like to cancel. We have been with DirecTV for a long time but are not under contract (because I do this every year and become a free agent each summer).

$40 credit for 12 months ($480.00)

Free NFL Sunday Ticket ($251.94)

Purchase upgrade to NFL Sunday Ticket Max ($102.00) - optional but I wanted it

Free HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime for 3 months ($125.97) – need to call to cancel after three months

Cash credits $480.00

Free programming $377.91

Total value of $857.91

I did agree to a new 12 month committment (but I've been with them for 15+ years already). Next August I will explore deals to stay with AT&T U-verse internet / phone and DirecTV together since the merger is now finalized and I will be out of contract again.

Good luck, be persistent, and be polite - works every year.

Now that we're into August, a few quick questions:

Are people still having success with the script?

Must I call to use the script, or can I use the DTV chat feature?

I moved years ago, but did not update my address in DTV records. Now is the time to "move" to my current address as my city now has DTV local channels. Any chance DTV knows or cares that they installed for me at my current address years ago?

Are there other forums like these where I can find good discussion on the best current DTV offers?

Just cleaned up myself...best call ever.

$33 off each months bill for 12 months

free showtime, cinemax, and HBO for 6 months

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

No new contract at all (I'm out of contract)

Boom

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom
Very nice. Was that the first offer they threw your way, or did you have to push back a couple of times?

Boom
Very nice. Was that the first offer they threw your way, or did you have to push back a couple of times?
I had to push them a little but really not much.....be polite and cordial and they usually are very reasonable

I wonder if the presence of AT&T is going to change this easy target. They may have a much different strategy on what they give away (or more likely, will push HARD for bundles of service and will not be so quick to give away things ala carte).

Although not having insider info, AT&T was a bad move for all of us imo. They will want bundles and won't give us the yearly deals like the past.DTV was out there by themselves and relying on the NFL package to keep them in business. This will not be the case with AT&T. They can lose you or I and not think twice about it. Their UVerse TV use to double bill me and finally I just got rid of it because it was not worth the effort. I hope all the silliness doesn't start up with DTV. I encourage people to get the lowest bill you can and see if you can keep maintaining that cost for future years (get grandfathered in). With the monopoly on the NFL package, they can dictate the terms.

I wonder if the presence of AT&T is going to change this easy target. They may have a much different strategy on what they give away (or more likely, will push HARD for bundles of service and will not be so quick to give away things ala carte).

Not excited about AT&T. As others have said, they show a complete lack of concern for giving deals or losing customers.

That said, I just got off the phone with DirecTV. I'm still under contract for another 12 months, but Chris was nice enough to give me the following:

$20 credit for 12 months

$10 credit for my HD receiver for 12 months

FREE NFL Sunday Ticket

All I have to do is pay $17/month for 6 months to cover the ST Max upgrade, and the $20 credit covers that anyway.

Just be polite and keep asking for more.

I am giving people the following info in hopes that this doesnt happen to anyone else because D***tv is a trainwreck.

I had them years ago and restarted with them when we moved to Denver August 2012. We moved back to San Diego in June 2014 and while I was informed the mover package would not extend my contract, it did by one year (got the sunday ticket out of it) so we are out of contract August 2015. I called today and the customer retention guy tells me that when they came to do the move setup last June, the genie was toast so they swapped it out. This shouldnt have extended my contract but it did in their system another 2 years and they cant change their system to correct the incorrect information.

He offered me 10 bucks off a month because the system still says im in a contract for another year. He also told me the redzone channel isnt available on its own. That company is such a disaster.

I will call back weekly until the thing is corrected.

I spoke to Maurice..

I have gotten the Sunday ticket free the past 5 years, usually without much trouble. Last night I made the call and was told I could not get the ticket free because I got it free last year. However was offered $50 worth of credits off my bill for 12 months ($600) but have to pay 6 installments of $17 for the ticket. this saves me $498 and I felt like I could have gotten more ( movie channels etc) but just wanted to be done with the call because it was late......still happy with this deal though.

I have gotten the Sunday ticket free the past 5 years, usually without much trouble. Last night I made the call and was told I could not get the ticket free because I got it free last year. However was offered $50 worth of credits off my bill for 12 months ($600) but have to pay 6 installments of $17 for the ticket. this saves me $498 and I felt like I could have gotten more ( movie channels etc) but just wanted to be done with the call because it was late......still happy with this deal though.
Did you speak with customer service or customer retention (i.e. did you request to cancel before this discussion)?

Just called retention

Free Ticket Max

$5 off customer loyalty (6 or 12 months?)

$7 off HBO for 6 months

Waived the protection plan fee since I have been a customer since '99. She said if I need a call or new equipment to just call customer retention

I kept saying I needed to get under $100 a month but she told me I'm not eligible for any other discounts for 45 days because I just rolled out of some year long discounts a couple days ago.

Doh!, forgot to ask for 2 new remotes

It is 200 for the Sunday Ticket online stream on Laptop/Mobile. Kind of pricey but worth it if you are big NFL fan. Could provide some edge in season moves for fantasy.

They advertise that the online service will be better, hopefully. It would buffer, stop and some games would work for a while then stop. It was a limited offering last year to certain cities. I can see a big market for it but 200 is a bit pricey.

I am giving people the following info in hopes that this doesnt happen to anyone else because D***tv is a trainwreck.

I had them years ago and restarted with them when we moved to Denver August 2012. We moved back to San Diego in June 2014 and while I was informed the mover package would not extend my contract, it did by one year (got the sunday ticket out of it) so we are out of contract August 2015. I called today and the customer retention guy tells me that when they came to do the move setup last June, the genie was toast so they swapped it out. This shouldnt have extended my contract but it did in their system another 2 years and they cant change their system to correct the incorrect information.

He offered me 10 bucks off a month because the system still says im in a contract for another year. He also told me the redzone channel isnt available on its own. That company is such a disaster.

I will call back weekly until the thing is corrected.

I spoke to Maurice..
Rookie move. Shark move would have been to bail on the call the second you heard the name "Maurice".

Just made the call...

Sunday Ticket MAX - FREE

$35 off/month for next 12 months

No new contract

Spoke to Kimberly who was very nice - she credited back some items so my auto-pay tomorrow wouldn't miss my discounts and she told me the specific dates I need to call back in to make sure I get the next round of credits.

Made two calls, first one nothing but Sunday Ticket Max at half price, I passed. Waited and called back this afternoon and explained I knew a guy that got it for free. Still only gave me half price $167.96 but she gave me $25 a month off for 12 months on top of the $15 I was already getting so that $300 extra off made it a good deal. I may call back in a week and see if I can get them to give me a credit for the $167.

I wonder if Direct TV knows that people are just calling to get better deals. If I had Direct TV I would try to get a better deal too. How much are you guy want to pay for Sunday Ticket as a standalone?

I'll start by saying me and directv have a history of billing. They always say my bill is X amount yet when my bill arrives it's alot more. It's supposed to be 119 month yet this month is 173.

With that said I called Dish yesterday and they offered me 73 a month for 2 years plus RZ channel free. ( or Netflix ) same existing channels no installation fee etc.

I hung up called DTV asked for retention dept and told Jeremy my story. After him having me on hold for 15-20 mins I felt doomed however he spoke with his supervisor and lowered my bill to 83/month which is good for one year and since I was a valued customer he threw in Sunday ticket since I mentioned the RZ channel when talking to Dish ( been with them for almost 15 years plus I will note my contract is up end of October. ) idk if that helps anyone but that's my success story.

been with DTV since 1995, get every channel and my bill is set on auto pay. this year I got the ST free, I had to agree to a one year agreement. When you call say cancel. it takes you a higher operator that can give you better deals.

I can't seem to get a deal this year and I've called retention several times. Best I got was NFL Max for $160 and $10 off per month for 12 months. I don't think I've paid anything for regular ST the last few years.

I can't seem to get a deal this year and I've called retention several times. Best I got was NFL Max for $160 and $10 off per month for 12 months. I don't think I've paid anything for regular ST the last few years.
DTV is very inconstant.

I called 3 weeks ago and could not get any deal, they said full price for ST

I called them again this week.... I call weekly.

After 20 minutes and 3 "let me get you someone else" transfers, I did get Redzone for free from a FF knowledgeable parson. Couldn't get ST for Free, but will try next week again. Best they offered was $9 off the 6 payments so it came to $31.99. I passed on that deal.

After 20 minutes and 3 "let me get you someone else" transfers, I did get Redzone for free from a FF knowledgeable parson. Couldn't get ST for Free, but will try next week again. Best they offered was $9 off the 6 payments so it came to $31.99. I passed on that deal.
I'm surprised they didn't give you Sunday ticket bc red zone channel isn't offered as a standalone product from directv. It's just available as part of the max. Unless they changed that but I didn't think they did.

I'm surprised they didn't give you Sunday ticket bc red zone channel isn't offered as a standalone product from directv. It's just available as part of the max. Unless they changed that but I didn't think they did.
You CAN get RZ but its difficult because they dont think its possible either. You get to the right person and you can get it though, probly has to be ok'd by a manager or something. Much easier just badger them into giving your Max for free anyway.

I just made the annual call to direct TV I went straight to customer retention. I was out of contract so I was able to get the NFL standard ticket for free as well as three months of HBO Showtime and Cinemax, and they were able to apply two separate $10 discounts to my bill.

All in all I was very happy with the call. I find the key is to be complementary and be willing to sweet talk as much as you can. I did speak to a supervisor following my call to speak on the woman's behalf

that worked with me, he was thrilled with that.

For what it is worth I worked with a woman named Susan

I know I'm soon to be out of contract but don't want to call and not be out yet. Is there any way to check on my exact date that I'll be out of contract before I call in?

I know I'm soon to be out of contract but don't want to call and not be out yet. Is there any way to check on my exact date that I'll be out of contract before I call in?
When you call- the first person that answers will ask you for your account info. Just ask them to look up your contract status, and then have them transfer you to retention. If you're still under contract- ask the retention person how much you would owe to cancel the contract. Whatever the answer is, tell them Dish is going to save you that much in 3 months, and that the main reason you prefer Direct is the TIcket. That will get the ball rolling.

When you call- the first person that answers will ask you for your account info. Just ask them to look up your contract status, and then have them transfer you to retention. If you're still under contract- ask the retention person how much you would owe to cancel the contract. Whatever the answer is, tell them Dish is going to save you that much in 3 months, and that the main reason you prefer Direct is the TIcket. That will get the ball rolling.
To cancel, it's $20/month for however many months are left on your contract.

Right, but its not really relevant. Just let the retentions person know you're willing to eat that cancellation because the competition has a better deal. Theyre looking for an excuse to give you free stuff, just help them do it.

Right, but its not really relevant. Just let the retentions person know you're willing to eat that cancellation because the competition has a better deal. Theyre looking for an excuse to give you free stuff, just help them do it.
Yup. That's exactly what myself and a bunch of others in the FFA did this past May. Once I told them I wanted to cancel and set a cancellation date. They had no problem offering me all kinds of stuff.

I actually did cancel and I've been getting constant offers that include all of the following:

- NFL Sunday Ticket Max

- Multiple monthly discounts resulting in a $19.99/mth subscription (i'm sure this is before all fees and taxes)

- Free pay movie channels

- Free genie

- $200 visa card

I cut the cord and have been using netflix and kodi all summer. I may simply go vpn and get NFL Gamepass for the season and see what happens after that. The bubble is going to burst on these cable/dish companies and directv is going to be hit the hardest as they don't offer internet access that anyone wants to fall back on for revenue.

Just got billed today for my auto renewal of the NFL Ticket. Called in and asked them when my contract was up (it's up next month). Told them I was calling as a courtesy to them before I call comcast and dish for new customer deals. Long story short I got:

$40.00 off/month for 12 months

Half off NFL Ticket Max ($44/m for 4 payments)

All I wanted was the ticket and redzone for free, but never stated I wanted it for free, just let the rep lead the convo and acted surprised when he offered deals. I had to sign a contract for 12 months, but I've had DTV for the last eight years and would never switch, I'll call again this time next year for another deal.

I'm happy with my deal, could of pressed for more, but accomplished my objective.

mbuehner said:
mmarsian said:
Yes.

I said I was going to just let it go this year since I'm under contract for a year and generally tired of paying everyone for something in my life (I'm in a rebellious mood).

However, just to add to your post, what I did was as you said.

-I gave the automated attendant the "cancel my service" prompt.

-I said I called a month or so ago and was told my disconnect was $240 (one year left).

-I said "I really just have you guys for the Ticket but I'm finding RedZone substitutes just fine".

-I answered/shot down all the "Don't you like our Genie, etc, questions. I claimed to have no kids or wife who would fill up the Genie.

-I said "so basically, I can give you $240 and be out and not give you another $275 or so for the Ticket and I can cut my monthly bill by $30

OR

I can stay with you an lose out."

-I waited on the phone and fed the dog a few potato chips while I waited.

-I reconnected and got RZ for free and the offer to get 1/2 off if I wanted the Ticket. No extension of contract or anything.

We sealed the deal right there without any talk of credits or free premium channels I would likely forget to cancel or anything. It probably could have carried out further but I realize these guys have to turn a buck here or two there and my inclination to fight this year was half-hearted, at best, to begin with so I count it as a very good win for the equivalent of a lazy man who lost his remote and tricked someone into changing the channel for him.

Fantasysports1 said:
Sunday Ticket is a great thing! It is worth your something. To those to want it free or something like that, it does seem od. You love your football and the ability to watch all the games. If you can't even spend some money on it, then you don't really care or are broke.

I don't have cable but I gladly pay 200 for streaming. It didn't work well last year so I felt I over payed but you get the idea.
Sounds like you don't love football, because you didn't just get DirecTV.

Fantasysports1 said:
Sunday Ticket is a great thing! It is worth your something. To those to want it free or something like that, it does seem od. You love your football and the ability to watch all the games. If you can't even spend some money on it, then you don't really care or are broke.

I don't have cable but I gladly pay 200 for streaming. It didn't work well last year so I felt I over payed but you get the idea.
I care and am not quite broke, but I do like to enjoy a deal when it is available and I struggle to see what is wrong with that. Especially when I don't think what I'm paying DirecTV during the rest of the year is worth what I'm actually getting (or how much I'm actually using it). To each their own, I suppose.

Fantasysports1 said:

How did you get streaming? I thought you had to not be capable of getting directv to get the streaminformation without the TV package too?

Fantasysports1 said:

I care and am not quite broke, but I do like to enjoy a deal when it is available and I struggle to see what is wrong with that. Especially when I don't think what I'm paying DirecTV during the rest of the year is worth what I'm actually getting (or how much I'm actually using it). To each their own, I suppose.
Ditto. There's no way I would have DirecTV if they didn't have Sunday Ticket, so even if they give me the ticket for free they're still making a ton of money off me (my bill is $150/mo) from it.

I think it makes business sense to the customer to get it for free or pay a fraction of the cost. This thread saved me well over a thousand dollars during the run I've had with DTV. They have a choice to say goodbye and not give a single thing away (which is my fear with AT&T coming on board). If I have a choice between paying:

A. $120 month and paying for Sunday Ticket

B. $80 month and paying for Sunday Ticket

C. $63 month and getting ST for free

I'm taking "C" every stinking time. I'd rather spend the money on something else. To each their own, I guess.

Fantasysports1 said:
To those to want it free or something like that, it does seem od. You love your football and the ability to watch all the games. If you can't even spend some money on it, then you don't really care or are broke.

Fantasysports1 said:

Why should I spend money on something that they are giving out for free?

Fantasysports1 said:

How did you get streaming? I thought you had to not be capable of getting directv to get the streaminformation without the TV package too?
Last year you had to live in one of the big cities like SF and maybe a few other things. Just go to Sunday Ticket stream and put in your address to see if you qualify this year. I do again this year. I get the stream for broadband for 200.

Only had to make 1 call this year vs. like 15 last year. As soon as the first lady in retentions picked up I knew it was going to go well because she sounded like the happiest person ever. My bill was previously $155 and my add-ons are the sports pack and HBO. I got...

$20 off bill for 12 months

$10 off bill for 12 months

$10 off sports pack for 6 months

$7 off HBO for 6 months

Showtime free for 4 months (doesn't auto renew!)

Free ST

It did require a 12 month contract and she didn't have any offers for max but instead of doing the $17/mo right there for it she advised me to wait it out as she said DirecTv will sometimes offer regular ST holders an 50% off Max upgrade right before the start of the season. If they don't I'll just do the upgrade the Saturday before the first game.

Cancelled my service. Best deal offered by customer retention was as follows:

$7 off HBO for 6 months

$60 off Sunday Ticket Max

$40 off for a year.

It'll be interesting to see if they call back to try to keep me.

Just called and said cancel service. Then I told them that I call every year to ask about any discounts on the Sunday ticket I might qualify for because I love that service and it is the main reason I am with them. She gave me Max for free and a $33 credit for 12 months.

Was on hold longer than I talked to the rep.

Only had to make 1 call this year vs. like 15 last year. As soon as the first lady in retentions picked up I knew it was going to go well because she sounded like the happiest person ever. My bill was previously $155 and my add-ons are the sports pack and HBO. I got...

$20 off bill for 12 months

$10 off bill for 12 months

$10 off sports pack for 6 months

$7 off HBO for 6 months

Showtime free for 4 months (doesn't auto renew!)

Free ST

It did require a 12 month contract and she didn't have any offers for max but instead of doing the $17/mo right there for it she advised me to wait it out as she said DirecTv will sometimes offer regular ST holders an 50% off Max upgrade right before the start of the season. If they don't I'll just do the upgrade the Saturday before the first game.
Just call back in a few days, say "cancel service" when prompted by the automated system and when you get to customer retention say you were told you were getting ST Max and you see it says only regular ST on your recent activity. They'll upgrade it.

dissapointed, called this year and said cancel to go to retention dept as normal, been a subscriber since 1999, not under contract. Best offer was $25 off for 6 months, no thanks, cancelled. I may try again later

frustrating that there is no red zone only option

Users who are viewing this thread