What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (2 Viewers)

Ok, so I go through this dance every year like everyone else.

This year however, it was a lot more difficult.

1st call - basically no discount since I'm under contract to Jan 2016 and I've had it free before

2nd call- half price Ticket Max

3rd call- Free

I didn't get better than 1/2 off, however, since I have AT&T they offered me -$10 month off if I combine statements from both.

When I finished with the AT&T guy, He said I'd receive -$10 per month off the phone bill and -$5 monthly off Direct TV.

So net -$15 per month = -$180 and charges of $167. In addition, DTV waived the $3 per month sports fee to save me another $36.

Not as good as others or previous years, but net net no cost !

BigDave said:

1st call - basically no discount since I'm under contract to Jan 2016 and I've had it free before

3rd call- Free

I didn't get better than 1/2 off, however, since I have AT&T they offered me -$10 month off if I combine statements from both.

When I finished with the AT&T guy, He said I'd receive -$10 per month off the phone bill and -$5 monthly off Direct TV.

So net -$15 per month = -$180 and charges of $167. In addition, DTV waived the $3 per month sports fee to save me another $36.

I don't get it. If the third call was for free ST, why didn't you take it and instead get it at only half off?

Great success!! Had to make two calls this year, but am very pleased with the outcome. Love direct tv.

1st call: 1/2 Sunday ticket max, half off hbo/showtime/starz for 6 months, $10 off a month for a year - I declined

2nd call: Free Sunday ticket max, half off all movie channels for 6 months, $10 off a month for a year - I accepted

here's what I got. I posted this in the other FFA thread:

Tried a new tactic this year.

I'm 41 years old, 3 kids, 2 businesses, and no more energy to cancel and play the game. Too tired :)

Told the guy, Tyler, I wanted the Ticket and see what he could do. I had just been charged and auto-paid one month of ST Max @ $60.

Been a customer since 2003. No contract in place.

He came back checking my current programming to see if i was happy. I was.

He said how about $20 off for 12 months? OK.

He said he could offer Free ST and credit back the ST Max $60. I said no I want ST Max. He said he could do ST Max for an additional $17 a month for 6 months or apply my first payment plus $42 one time. I said OK.

So, I got:

ST Max for $102

$20 off for six months

No contract.

I am happy with the deal and with Directv for again making me super excited for the NFL season.

NetnautX said:
Holy crap. Setting up series recordings is ridiculously buggy and frustrating.
I can see how pressing the record button once to record that episode, or twice to record the series could be difficult to grasp for someone like yourself. The crayola remot-astic by playschool might be right up your alley.

Direct TV pays the NFL $1.5 Billion dollars every year for exclusive rights in the US. Did you know if you lived in a foreign country (or ahem if your IP lived there) you can pay NFL.com $129 and get Sunday Ticket, Redzone, NFL Network and Rewind? Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people.

Any advice? I called and did the proverbial dance. They said they didn't have anything to offer. Apparently I am still under contract. I was told that to cancel my service would cost a $180.00 cancelation fee, and they asked me if I was sure i wanted to go through with it despite this fee. I said I wanted to talk it over with my wife and that I would call back. I was worried I would tell them to go ahead and cancel, then be without service and an extra $180.00 early cancelation fee to boot. Thanks in advance for any tips available.
"I'd like to schedule disconnect for September 15th."

Prepare for your phone/email to light up over the next couple days.

IF they somehow don't contact you, just call and cancel the disconnect.
Ok. Told them to go ahead and cancel and set up a date for next week. This was 2 days ago. I haven't been called as of yet. How soon do you guys expect a call to come in ? Thanks again for the advice y'all.

3rd call- Free

I don't get it. If the third call was for free ST, why didn't you take it and instead get it at only half off?
Please reread. The net result of the 3rd call was it was free after credits. I still had to go thru the BS to get the credits to make it free

3rd call- Free

Please reread. The net result of the 3rd call was it was free after credits. I still had to go thru the BS to get the credits to make it free
So basically, it was "3rd call - half price Ticket Max but with $216 in monthly credits."

So your net is a profit.

Great that you're not paying essentially anything, but as you can read from the thread here, many are getting free ST Max in addition to the monthly discounts so the deal is even better.

is it a contest?
Not a contest, but it's interesting reading what people are getting and what some people are not. Clearly Directv is allowed to give some significant discounts, so if you are persistent enough and ask nicely, you can get some great deals.

I was just confused by his post and he told me to please reread.

Any advice? I called and did the proverbial dance. They said they didn't have anything to offer. Apparently I am still under contract. I was told that to cancel my service would cost a $180.00 cancelation fee, and they asked me if I was sure i wanted to go through with it despite this fee. I said I wanted to talk it over with my wife and that I would call back. I was worried I would tell them to go ahead and cancel, then be without service and an extra $180.00 early cancelation fee to boot. Thanks in advance for any tips available.

Ok. Told them to go ahead and cancel and set up a date for next week. This was 2 days ago. I haven't been called as of yet. How soon do you guys expect a call to come in ? Thanks again for the advice y'all.
Fwiw I canceled and they didn't call or email me once. In fact they sent the return shipping boxes to my house. I called after that and told them I was reconsidering. They threw me a ton of stuff that they basically told me was impossible a week earlier. But for the record, my account was formally canceled.

After I scheduled my cancellation date when I called in on a Saturday, they tried calling me on Monday but I missed the call because I didn't recognize the number and I was at work (I Googled the number on the caller ID to figure out it was them otherwise I would not have known as they didn't leave a message). They called me again on Tuesday and I picked up then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct TV pays the NFL $1.5 Billion dollars every year for exclusive rights in the US. Did you know if you lived in a foreign country (or ahem if your IP lived there) you can pay NFL.com $129 and get Sunday Ticket, Redzone, NFL Network and Rewind? Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people.
Supporting them? Everyone in this thread is finding ways to bend them over.

3rd call- Free

So basically, it was "3rd call - half price Ticket Max but with $216 in monthly credits."

So your net is a profit.

Great that you're not paying essentially anything, but as you can read from the thread here, many are getting free ST Max in addition to the monthly discounts so the deal is even better.
I get it. I was not stating I got a good deal. I've been getting it free each year with the song and dance of leaving. However, since I was under contract they were less receptive this year, offering less discounts.

I still wound up getting it at no cost, just not a lot of additional discounts.

GL to everyone else in dealing with DTV. Let the real season begin !!!!!

Everyone in this thread sends them cash every month.

Yeah. Cuz we enjoy television. Its a weird fetish with most of us.

Are you a cord cutter?

Are you a cord cutter?
Everyone i've ever met that doesn't own a television makes sure you know they don't own a television.

I know this may sound odd to some, but I have a proposal that can save someone some money.

I watch Sunday ticket every year, but I do it exclusively through online. I usually know several people that have direct tv, and I just split the bill with them, and then just use their login.

Here comes the odd part. If anyone is interested in doing this, send me a message or email.

cropcord seven six at gmail dot com

Are you a cord cutter?
Everyone i've ever met that doesn't own a television makes sure you know they don't own a television.
It's like the crossfit of the entertainment world.

Congrats on jumping off the cliff. Sorry it's not working out as you planned, I guess. I feel no compelling reason to inconvenience myself "so affordable streaming options become available to regular people."

I see several people saying that you call back a few times to try and get a better offer. When calling back, do you go through the same dance of speaking to the first rep online and telling them you want to cancel, then wait to be transferred to the retention dept., or do you you just ask to speak to the retention department right away? (or do you have a direct number to the retention dept?)

I see several people saying that you call back a few times to try and get a better offer. When calling back, do you go through the same dance of speaking to the first rep online and telling them you want to cancel, then wait to be transferred to the retention dept., or do you you just ask to speak to the retention department right away? (or do you have a direct number to the retention dept?)
I wouldn't waste time talking to the first rep you get connected to. Retention is who you want every time. Usually if you tell the first rep you want to cancel you get transferred pretty quickly.

Are you a cord cutter?

Congrats on jumping off the cliff. Sorry it's not working out as you planned, I guess. I feel no compelling reason to inconvenience myself "so affordable streaming options become available to regular people."
You must have missed the part about my IP address I guess. Not an inconvenience at all, cheaper and I'm not paying a middle man who has a monopoly over the US market.

I know this may sound odd to some, but I have a proposal that can save someone some money.

I watch Sunday ticket every year, but I do it exclusively through online. I usually know several people that have direct tv, and I just split the bill with them, and then just use their login.

Here comes the odd part. If anyone is interested in doing this, send me a message or email.

cropcord seven six at gmail dot com
From my understanding, you can only stream ST on only one device at a time, unless you've figured out a way to do it differently...

They can see all the notes from previous conversations. So I usually do just say "long story short, I've been offered X, but I really feel like you could do better for a loyal customer. Is there perhaps somebody in the retention department that I can speak with?"

Holy crap. Setting up series recordings is ridiculously buggy and frustrating.
I can see how pressing the record button once to record that episode, or twice to record the series could be difficult to grasp for someone like yourself. The crayola remot-astic by playschool might be right up your alley.
Oooh burn.I'm referring to the search feature. When you record that way it doesn't always pick up first run episodes. You have to do as you say find it in the guide first or go through 3-4 additional steps to record correctly. It works but just a stupid setup.

Didn't do as well this year as usual. Caveat here - I'm getting divorced (although that's worth any deals I'm losing out on, lol), so even though I had been a customer for over 15 years, I had to open a new account last year when I moved out. So they only show me as being a customer for 1 year...I called 3 different times

ST Max - half off (4 payments of $41.99)

$5 off for 6 months

One time $20 credit on my bill

HBO/Cinemax/Showtime free for 3 months

I've been a Directv customer for over 10 years and my contract is up in November.

Just curious, when you send the email and get the automated reply with the PIN number as shown above, when you call, is that already the customer retention department? Or is it just a "go to the head of the line" pass and you get a regular agent?

I called this morning and was not happy. I said I wanted to go to Dish. She said the Dish price was only an introductory price and that the cost afterwards would be the same. Was only offered $10 a month for 6 months off the Sunday Ticket. And if I really didn't want it, I could just go ahead and take off the Sunday Ticket. I kept saying that I was looking for a better offer and a reason to stay.

At this point do I need to say I'm not happy with the deal you've given me and ask for the retentions department? I've done quite well in past years and actually thought this year I would suck it up and pay the $240, but then I thought, what's to lose by just making one call?
The call I made with the PIN was directly into customer retention; I specially asked to be transferred to customer retention when they answered, but was told I was already there.

Made my call this morning and told the first person who answered that I needed to check the status of my contract. Was fransferred to a Contract Specialist, or whatever his title is, and came out with a new 2 year contract, including:

Sunday Ticket free this season

$40 / month credits first 12 months off my current bill

(2) new receivers - Genie and Genie Jr (?) to replace (2) non- DVR receivers on the contract.

Fairly happy since I can try SUnday Ticket for free (never have subscribed in the past).

What is best free site to change IP address to foreign location so I can pay nfl.com $129 for all games? Please pm me if it is illegal to post. Would need it for iPad/iPhone/Apple. Thanks!

What is best free site to change IP address to foreign location so I can pay nfl.com $129 for all games? Please pm me if it is illegal to post. Would need it for iPad/iPhone/Apple. Thanks!
All you should need is a VPN service/client where you can specify a specific country supported for the NFL.com service. CyberGhost, HideMyAss, etc are all pretty cheap for a full year of service - $20 or so.

Anybody try out NFLSundayTicket.TV? I got it for $25/mo for four months at the "student rate", even though I was a former DTV customer and it is still available where I live. I think the regular rate is $200 for the season, but it seems like there must be discounts for that as well somewhere if you poke around or talk to the right people.

Any tricks to improve the picture quality? I keep messing with all the setting but still seems out of focus/blurry somehow.

All you should need is a VPN service/client where you can specify a specific country supported for the NFL.com service. CyberGhost, HideMyAss, etc are all pretty cheap for a full year of service - $20 or so.

Anybody try out NFLSundayTicket.TV? I got it for $25/mo for four months at the "student rate", even though I was a former DTV customer and it is still available where I live. I think the regular rate is $200 for the season, but it seems like there must be discounts for that as well somewhere if you poke around or talk to the right people.
Do you mind giving some details? I tried that, but I didn't have any address to work. Also, what country can I use with hidemyass.com?

I am willing to split a sub with someone, and just use the streaming option. Don't think I will find anyone

:yes:

Do you mind giving some details? I tried that, but I didn't have any address to work. Also, what country can I use with hidemyass.com?

I am willing to split a sub with someone, and just use the streaming option. Don't think I will find anyone
I'm not sure if there's an actual address check or not, but if anything, I'd imagine you can just use whatever - Google one and let some stranger get some surprise mail in your name ;)

The only issue I can foresee is that you might run a bit shy of the necessary bandwidth to stream at 1080P, but I'm not sure about NFL's specific offering and what it requires. You can usually see which selection of countries that specific VPNs let you use, so match up one or preferably more with the list of countries that the NFL package is offered in - geographically closer rather than further, and I would recommend South America or a first-world western European country - then connect through the VPN, hit the NFL thing, and enjoy your games. I have to imagine there are at least some specifics about their offering out there if you're willing to search around for them - I've never used their stuff though, so I don't have any more specifics.

Additionally, it depends on where the NFL offering checks the location of your IP. If they only check when you're signing up, although I have to assume that they're not THAT dumb, then it would be much simpler to just use some sort of IP spoofing software/web service. You can find a million of those by Googling, just be a bit careful going to actual websites.

:yes:
Nice helmet ;)

Do you mind giving some details? I tried that, but I didn't have any address to work. Also, what country can I use with hidemyass.com?I am willing to split a sub with someone, and just use the streaming option. Don't think I will find anyone
I'm not sure if there's an actual address check or not, but if anything, I'd imagine you can just use whatever - Google one and let some stranger get some surprise mail in your name ;)

The only issue I can foresee is that you might run a bit shy of the necessary bandwidth to stream at 1080P, but I'm not sure about NFL's specific offering and what it requires. You can usually see which selection of countries that specific VPNs let you use, so match up one or preferably more with the list of countries that the NFL package is offered in - geographically closer rather than further, and I would recommend South America or a first-world western European country - then connect through the VPN, hit the NFL thing, and enjoy your games. I have to imagine there are at least some specifics about their offering out there if you're willing to search around for them - I've never used their stuff though, so I don't have any more specifics.

Additionally, it depends on where the NFL offering checks the location of your IP. If they only check when you're signing up, although I have to assume that they're not THAT dumb, then it would be much simpler to just use some sort of IP spoofing software/web service. You can find a million of those by Googling, just be a bit careful going to actual websites.
I have no issues streaming. I stream it every season for the past 3.

What I usually do is split the sub with a friend. They watch it on their TV, and I watch through via their login. Only problem is that all my friends switched to cable or are not renewing this year.

I am just hoping I can find someone to split it with before Sunday

Do you mind giving some details? I tried that, but I didn't have any address to work. Also, what country can I use with hidemyass.com?I am willing to split a sub with someone, and just use the streaming option. Don't think I will find anyone
Private Internet Access, 3$/month. Download the app and connect to the country of your choice. (Some countries are more expensive than others)You need to be connected to that country during sign up and when first logging on and opening a stream.

Of course NFL.com knows people are surcomventing the rules this way, but, what do they care; they fulfill their contract with directv by checking the ip and they are getting more money.

ETA: I'd be wary of Apple mobile devices. You might not be able to get the gamepass app. Apple sux.

Ended up getting ST Max for $120. I made about 15 calls and this is the best I got. I will have two TV's going, one with the game and one with RZ Channel. Pretty excited about this setup.

Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people.

You must have missed the part about my IP address I guess. Not an inconvenience at all, cheaper and I'm not paying a middle man who has a monopoly over the US market.
Then why are you whining about " Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people." if affordable streaming options are already available? :confused:

Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people.

Then why are you whining about " Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people." if affordable streaming options are already available? :confused:
Because those streaming options require us to go out of our way to sign up for/access them?

Because those streaming options require us to go out of our way to sign up for/access them?
But Tonydead said it's "no inconvenience at all!" :confused:

For someone with IT smarts, sure. For your average joe - not hardly.

I said, and you quoted me correctly, "to regular people". Regular people don't figure out how to spoof nfl.com with a vpn. They end up in expensive contracts with cable companies who've tried to monopolize everything people watch on tv. They end up paying HD fees, equipment rental, installation fees, channels they don't watch, a host of other crap they don't need and then find out their rates have increased at the end of the year if they don't call in a beg for a break.

The future isn't satellite or cable tv; it's steaming over the internet to whatever device you want at a low affordable a la carte price. The sooner people stop supporting big corporation, who've primarily sucked on the fat hog that is the US customer btw, the sooner that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread