What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (3 Viewers)

Big deal email arrived.  My bill is currently 130 (81.99 for extra, 4.99 for HD pack, 14 two tvs, 25 for advanced receiver service, 4.99 for regional sports and then sales tax of 1.50). I had roughly 30 in credits per month).  Anyone know if you can make changes to the account in addition to getting the big deal?  I want to drop the package to Choice, drop the HD Pack and then argue with them on the advanced receiver service as its currently 15 for accounts created after july 2014.  I also see that choice is 60 a month so not sure I can do.  

Would love to get to 60 for extra, 14 for two tvs, 15 for advanced, 4.99 for regional plus tax before monthly credit.

-- Upate -- 

Called and spoke to Vera.  First got offered 47 off with ST Max.  Asked for additional 3 off (to compensate for the high priced advanced receiver service) and the 200 prepaid gift card.   Didnt score the additional 3 off per month so my offer is:

47 off per month for 12 months
200 visa gift card
Free premium channels for 3 months

I dropped my package to choice which only saved 5 dollars a month, dropped the HD pack because we dont use it, dropping one receiver we dont use so bill is now at about $70 a month(29.99 Choice, 7 for one tv (first one is free), 25 advanced receiver fee, 4.99 for regional sports plus tax).  Applying the visa gift card drops the monthly to 54 a month. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Big deal email arrived.  My bill is currently 130 (81.99 for extra, 4.99 for HD pack, 14 two tvs, 25 for advanced receiver service, 4.99 for regional sports and then sales tax of 1.50). I had roughly 30 in credits per month).  Anyone know if you can make changes to the account in addition to getting the big deal?  I want to drop the package to Choice, drop the HD Pack and then argue with them on the advanced receiver service as its currently 15 for accounts created after july 2014.  I also see that choice is 60 a month so not sure I can do.  

Would love to get to 60 for extra, 14 for two tvs, 15 for advanced, 4.99 for regional plus tax before monthly credit.
The Big Deal IS the Choice package. I had Choice Plus but now have Choice because of the Big Deal. Your bill after the discounts should be around $53/month (plus taxes etc), but that's with HD...I believe HD is $10/month, so take that much off as well. I have no idea about equip charges or if you can haggle them.

It was definitely tougher this year, 2 calls, no actual cancellation, 40 minutes on the phone. I have total choice hbo showtime, wound up with $50 credit for 12 months plus free sunday ticket max. This was the first year I was actually going to cancel. Had just redzone for free last year (really all I watch),, they could do not do that at all this year hence the free sunday ticket max. I'll take it :)  Been a subscriber for 16 years now

Posted in the FFA thread, but I cancelled on the 13th (to be effective 8/31--edited to add:  Mine didn't get turned off early like happened to others).  Subscriber since 2009.  Today, called the 855-407-3110 number and asked about the "Big Deal" email that I (said I) received.  12 months of about $45 off on programming cost ($81/mo total bill for the EXTRA! package), free ST Max, 3 months of free premium channels, $200 Visa Gift Card (I had to ask about it, and said I saw it in the email), 12 month contract commitment.  I maybe could have gotten more, but I really just wanted the free ST Max anyway.

Total time on call: 12 minutes.  Pretty painless.

Called yesterday to set cancellation up for the 31st. Called today, referenced the email, got the Big Deal immediately. Total between the two calls, probably 20 minutes, tops.

45$ a month off choice for a year

3 months of all the movie channels free

ST Max free

200$ gift card

1 year commitment

I had to go the same route as described above. Typical customer retention was not budging beyond some programming credits to offset the cost of the Sunday Ticket Max and the third person I called was downright rude asking if I wished to cancel, so I scheduled a date and immediately called the 855 number to express my frustration.

Well the "reconnect" department must be the new retention, because they couldn't have been more flexible and helpful. I scored the following:

$52 off per month of the Ultimate package for one year

ST Max free

$200 gift card

New HD-DVR and Mini Genie receivers free

1-year commitment

Really hoped not to have to go through all this, but they changed the rules of the game this year and I am just playing by them. Good luck to all!

Well, gentlemen... I had not read this thread until today.  Been pretty fired up at DTV lately though after what I felt was a bait and switch between year 1 and year 2. (ETA -- I had 4 different reps tell me that they could reapply ALL of your year 1 discounts to year 2, that things had changed since I had previously been a customer.  One of those reps was even a supervisor... when year 1 ended, they got within $20, but not back to year 1 prices, which annoys me.)  Technically I was a new customer, but have been with them before for 3 years and know the drill.

I've not tried this game though... will call tomorrow with cancellation set for the 31st... then try the Big Deal phone call.

Worst case, you just tell them you don't want to cancel right?

Also - can anyone tell me their exact bill for just the Choice package with an HD-DVR? 

Just made the call and didn't get far.  The guy actually told me "we can't always give it away for free, we have to pay the nfl to carry this"...lol.  I have a cancellation scheduled for Friday.  Can anyone share what this "big deal" email says?

PRAE said:
Just made the call and didn't get far.  The guy actually told me "we can't always give it away for free, we have to pay the nfl to carry this"...lol.  I have a cancellation scheduled for Friday.  Can anyone share what this "big deal" email says?
Dude.  I have gotten it for free for 11 straight years

Calling this morning to cancel when my paid-up amount expires.  Will keep you all posted on the status...  Hopefully @need2know is exactly right.

Cancel and then get everything... that's my hope.

Yes, what does this Big Deal e-mail state? How long after I cancel should I get this e-mail?

I called yesterday, they said they couldn't give ST for free. I said "cancel me, I am going to Dish". Set it up for a 10 day cancelation period, September 7th.

I have gotten the past 3 years as well... Apparently they are handling things a little differently this year.  Would still like to see this email everyone is mentioning.  Hopefully I get it and I will post it here.

I have gotten the past 3 years as well... Apparently they are handling things a little differently this year.  Would still like to see this email everyone is mentioning.  Hopefully I get it and I will post it here.
You don't need it.  I didn't get one.  Told them I did

I have a request for disconnect on Friday.  So really let them disconnect it?  Seems like many have said they called before the actual disconnect.  Thanks
This is my last post in here on this as i have posted these exact words multiple times.

Disconnect.

Call the following day and say you recieved big deal email and want to know what its all about.   You should get 50 bucks off per month , free ticket max, free movie channels for 3 months for one year commitment.   I had to ask for the 200 gift card.

If you dont disconnect you can t get this. 

Also don't wait.  Do it now

This is my last post in here on this as i have posted these exact words multiple times.

Disconnect.

Call the following day and say you recieved big deal email and want to know what its all about.   You should get 50 bucks off per month , free ticket max, free movie channels for 3 months for one year commitment.   I had to ask for the 200 gift card.

This guy gets it and is EXACTLY right.  I did it and that's exactly how it works.  Make sure they code your account for the gift card (they will likely "miss" this) and then you must make sure you redeem it online in a few days at www.directv.com/redeem

Companies often have "honor, not offer" promotions where it's a known promotion internally that they can't offer to you but they can honor it if you ask for it and mention you received the Big Deal e-mail.  You'll get a large box in the mail after you cancel to send the receivers back in, but ignore that.  You can call the day after cancellation to "re-connect".  You will be disconnected at midnight the day you cancel, so you shouldn't be out of service for long.  On the Choice package with HD, DVR, regional sports fee, and 2 extra receivers your bill should be roughly $74/month for 2 years. 

need2know is telling you everything you need2know.  He is exactly right.

I think the GC are about dead or will be shortly. I would disconnect tonight, why wait until Friday.

need2know is telling you everything you need2know.  He is exactly right.

I think the GC are about dead or will be shortly. I would disconnect tonight, why wait until Friday.
Exactly - this is super simple guys!

Call and request to cancel in a few days time. Then once you go thru the process your account will be marked as inactive. I called the 855 number (which is he reconnect dept) immediately and told them I was frustrated and they said no worries, we will give you what you want. My service never even went out, this is all a customer service game.

Call today!

Disconnect.

FYI - The above script does not work 100% of the time.  My service was off for 3 days before I finally got the big deal offer.  I had called in multiple times a day and kept getting denied.

Exactly - this is super simple guys!

Call and request to cancel in a few days time. Then once you go thru the process your account will be marked as inactive. I called the 855 number (which is he reconnect dept) immediately and told them I was frustrated and they said no worries, we will give you what you want. My service never even went out, this is all a customer service game.

Call today!
I don't have the desire to play games. I will call and ask for Sunday Ticket. If I don't get a decent price, then to heck with it. 

You don't have to disconnect, necessarily.

I set up a disconnect date 3 days in advance, and THAT DAY got a call from them offering me everything - , free Sunday Ticket Max, about $50 off for a year, the gift card, the free movie channels etc

Yes, you have to set up a disconnect date.  Don't bother asking for it for free just for the hell of it, I haven't heard about that working at all this year for anyone.  But you may or may not have to go through with it.  I know others who've done it and called a day BEFORE the disconnect date and gotten the same thing.

It's harder this year than in years past, but can still get done.

You have to set up your cancellation date, but you can call and get the deal before your cancellation date.

My Visa gift card arrived today and was immediately confiscated by my wife as this year's "I have no expectations of you on Sundays noon to 6 for the next 5 months."

I'm about as lazy a dude you'll find, but the $200 GC alone was worth it for my 15 or so minutes of time spent calling to cancel once, then calling back a week later to get wooed.  Throw in free Sunday Ticket, free premiums, and almost $50 a month in additional savings for programming I was going to pay for anyway?  Yeah.  Even I can't turn that down.

Calling this morning to cancel when my paid-up amount expires.  Will keep you all posted on the status...  Hopefully @need2know is exactly right.

Cancel and then get everything... that's my hope.
Like a charm...

Called to cancel yesterday morning.  Set the cancellation for the end of my billing cycle (what I was paid through -- I think it was September 22 or something).  Watched TV like usual last night.  Called the 855-407-3110 number and spoke with Vera this morning -- mentioned I received an email about a Big Deal (I didn't).  Vera asked why I had cancelled (I explained my saga with DirecTV the last few months and that Google Fiber was being installed in my neighborhood).  Talked for a few minutes about what we watched... was offered the discount on the service, free premium channels for 3 months, free Sunday Ticket Max, 12 month agreement.  I mentioned the email said something about a visa gift card.  She said she'd have to check with her supervisor, that THEY DONT HAVE ANY ACCESS TO SEE WHAT OFFERS YOU WERE SENT OR WERE NOT SENT.

3 minutes later I had the following offer locked in:

$45 off per month for 12 months (I asked about $50 but wasn't able to get it -- not sure why exactly, but the deal is still worth it)

HBO, Starz, Cinemax (I think -- maybe Showtime - whatever) for 3 months

Sunday Ticket Max

$200 Visa Gift Card

Easy. As. Pie.

I just called to cancel mine and set the disconnect date out two weeks.  I'll call tomorrow and see what happens.  They did offer me $50 off a month for 12 months but nothing on Sunday ticket, but I figured I'd go for the whole enchilada this year. 

I got my free $200 and loaded the entire amount into Fanduel.  My wife is none the wiser....

For those snobs that didn't want to cancel - YOU LOSE,

It pays to ##### unfortunanty - TV is such a commodity and they overcharge the people that they can and give great deals to those who shop/#####.  

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I just called to cancel mine and set the disconnect date out two weeks.  I'll call tomorrow and see what happens.  They did offer me $50 off a month for 12 months but nothing on Sunday ticket, but I figured I'd go for the whole enchilada this year. 
Just called this morning and did as need2know described and everything went smoothly.  $50 off a month, $200 gift card, and Sunday Ticket Max.  Thank you guys for the info. 

Is there a certain number you call to cancel, or doesn't that matter?
Think you can call any number to cancel -- I think 800-531-5000 is general customer service.  Just cancel -- might as well set the date a few weeks in advance so you can still enjoy your TV while you prepare to take them to the cleaners.

Wait a day or two.  Call 855-407-3110 and then mention you got a Big Deal email.  I'd get on this though... idk if the promotion all of us just took advantage of expired in August or not.

Just called this morning and did as need2know described and everything went smoothly.  $50 off a month, $200 gift card, and Sunday Ticket Max.  Thank you guys for the info. 
Not #####ing about the deal I got, but do you guys have Choice + or Ultimate?  I got $45 off of Choice and pushed pretty hard, but nothing more to give I was told.  Still got the Sunday Ticket and $200 gift card.

Not #####ing about the deal I got, but do you guys have Choice + or Ultimate?  I got $45 off of Choice and pushed pretty hard, but nothing more to give I was told.  Still got the Sunday Ticket and $200 gift card.
I might have to double check my paperwork.  I think it came out to a random number.  I have Extra (or Extra + if that is a thing).  It was a $37 discount and then another $10 discount if I remember correctly.  So $47 off, but good close enough for me.  I had to remind her about the gift card but she said it went through without problems.  Claimed it would take 6 to 8 weeks to receive.  Anybody had theirs show up sooner?  I'd like to add it to my new TV fund. 

I literally called and #####ed about being a loyal customer and people getting this deal brand new while Im paying $117.00-- they offered $50 off a month but thats it.

I canceled.

Next day-- received big deal email- called and got $67/month + free sunday ticket + 200 gift card + 3 months free movies + free mlb rest of season + $50 credit off my first months bill.

INSANE

I literally called and #####ed about being a loyal customer and people getting this deal brand new while Im paying $117.00-- they offered $50 off a month but thats it.

I canceled.

Next day-- received big deal email- called and got $67/month + free sunday ticket + 200 gift card + 3 months free movies + free mlb rest of season + $50 credit off my first months bill.

INSANE
Well played.  I didn't even ask about MLB as I have it via MLB.tv, and that's hilarious they gave you an extra $50 off the first bill

this is my first experience with direct tv and the sunday ticket. i'm using my Roku to get the games and for whatever reason I'm getting captions. i've tried to disable via the Roku settings but to no avail. can't seem to find this setting in the channel either. anyone else have this?

I setup my service disconnect; it was disconnected last night.

Disconnect.

Thanks!

I did exactly what need2know said (disconnect, call that number as soon as it's disconnected).  I just called and it only took about 10 minutes on the phone.  Everything is already reactivated.  $50 off a month, free SundayTicketMax, free movie channels.

:thumbup:

You really don't need to know the details.  Say you want the "big deal" and heard it comes with a $200 gift card.  They know what the big deal is and they give it to anyone who is smart enough to ask. 

As others have said, you may already get a different answer now that you are pending cancellation.  The answer you got is the answer everyone gets until they setup a cancellation.  Once cancelled, everyone gets the deal.  The only "maybe" seems to be the people that call in between setting up the cancel date and actually getting it turned off.  It worked for me that way and not for some.  Still worth a shot IMO to try it now and if it fails try again immediately after you lose service.

Call today IMO

Called DTV about 2 hrs ago and cancelled service. Disconnect was swift - snowy tv's about 2 minutes after we hung up.Since we're in the middle of a 2 yr committment we also got dinged for a $138 early cancellation fee. Called back 30 minutes later (the 855 number) and said that Dish was coming to our home in a couple of days to install new equipment, but before they got here we wanted to call DTV again because we heard from a friend about a Big Deal offer - and wanted to see if there was any reason to reconnect with DTV before Dish got here.

10 minutes later we got the entire schmear: Free HBO, free ST Max, free upgrades to our boxes, free wireless Genies,  $200 gift card, and $50 discount off our monthly bill for the first 12 months. Disclaimer: We did have to sign up for 2 years. 

Kicker #1: My wife (who I affectionally call "The Grinder") orchestrated the entire deal, including the initial cancellation. She has now gotten us free ST for the past several years. She's also super hot, so double benefit for the RamMan. 

Kicker #2: half way thru the reconnect call I heard her say "we're almost there, we're so close. But there's this $138 fee we were charged earlier for cancelling. Can we get that credited to our account?" Bingo...got that too. 

Something tells me that the cancellation reps may be working in cahoots with the new accounts reps - and splitting whatever bonuses DTV pays the for new signups. Cant prove it but...

I have been getting ST for free for years now so I had my pitch down pretty well and didn't consult this thread before making my yearly call.  It looks like there is documented procedure for getting it for free this year by full-out cancelling rather than just threatening like I usually do.  For reference I thought I would write up my experience for what is possible without cancelling (especially if you have a family like mine that would riot if the TV service were to go out for a few days).

I'm a 10 year+ customer of DTV and have the Choice package.  I called last week and talked to the retention department (never negotiate with first person that answers the phone) with my usual sob story about having to cut costs and we can just get by with Netflix, etc.  While they were offering significant monthly credits the rep was completely dug in about not giving me ST for free.  The best that he would do was knock about $10 off of each payment and drop the first payment.  I worked on him for a while but he wasn't budging.  I declined the offer and he put it on file.

After thinking about it for a day I realized that the total savings (offered credits minus the ST cost) was actually about the same as the free ST and lower credits I had last year.  So I called back to try again knowing that our starting point was reasonable.  This retention rep was a little more reasonable.  He saw my previous offer on file and flat out asked me what I was looking for.  I gave him a big speech about how I was being treated as a long time customer and one of the reasons I had stuck with DTV for so long was because they tried harder to keep my business.  He put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back with this deal:

$50 credit per month for 12 months (he offered $40/mo for 24 months but I want to keep my leverage for next year's call)

ST Max for 4 payments of $24.99

Free HBO for 3 months

MLB package for rest of season

Option for free Genie upgrade

So I ended up with $500 savings for the year once ST Max was taken into account.  He also admitted that policies had changed after ATT took over.  It also makes me wonder if they will crack down even more next year.  Anyway, FYI for those that didn't want to do the cancellation route.  I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with.  

does anyone know about the streaming option

I have an apartment that doesn't get this so I can order the streaming option but am I allowed to stream anywhere including other residences I have?

I canceled.

INSANE
I'm assuming these only work once you're off contract... I re-signed up last summer under my wife's name to get the free ticket for a year (if you trade off names every other year you basically get sunday ticket free every other year).  This cancellation isn't really worth it if you're under contract because you'd owe money. Damn.

This year was indeed a little different. Last year after my account was 'scheduled for cancellation' but before actual cancellation, I got a call from an 'account manager' who gave me the deal I wanted, and told me to call her back again this year to have the same conversation.

When I called this year, she was of course gone but there was a different account manager, who told me her system wasn't showing any decent offers and stopped short of saying I had to schedule my account for cancellation (I think it's against their policy to say that, obviously). So I called the regular number to cancel my service, and while I was at it, talked to the retentions guy to see what he could offer. As he could only offer something minimal, like $20 off per month for 12 months, I said to just schedule the cancellation.

I was expecting someone would call me to try and get me to stay, but my cancellation date came and went. Possibly because of Labor Day, perhaps. Then I called my new 'account manager' to see what she could do and I got the following (with a 12 month contract) --

• $37 'rebate' for 12 months
  • $10 off per month for 12 months, due to Autobillpay (and another 12, if I stay next year too)
  • $200 visa gift card
  • HBO+Showtime+Starz free for 3 months
  • Sunday ticket max free
Seems to be similar to the deals others have been getting in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread