What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle; with rumors to start rap career with Macklemore (1 Viewer)

Picked him up off waivers after the Hunter Henry news.  With Rudolph netting me a zero last week I pulled the trigger and started him last night.  Pleasantly surprised but watching him run routes, I don't have a lot of confidence that he'll be around for 16 games.  

Greg Olsen (questionable, back) will play Week 3 against the Cardinals.

Olsen's status was never in doubt after seeing full practice reps on both Thursday and Friday. Cam Newton's absence is obviously a downgrade for all of Carolina's skill players, though Olsen is still very much in the TE1 conversation coming off a stellar 6-110-0 receiving line in Week 2. Arizona has already been lit up by T.J. Hockenson (6-131-1) and Mark Andrews (8-112-1) this year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 22, 2019, 8:12 AM ET

Greg Olsen (questionable, back) will play Week 3 against the Cardinals.

Olsen's status was never in doubt after seeing full practice reps on both Thursday and Friday. Cam Newton's absence is obviously a downgrade for all of Carolina's skill players, though Olsen is still very much in the TE1 conversation coming off a stellar 6-110-0 receiving line in Week 2. Arizona has already been lit up by T.J. Hockenson (6-131-1) and Mark Andrews (8-112-1) this year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 22, 2019, 8:12 AM ET
Rapport is a moron.

Greg Olsen caught 6-of-7 targets for 75 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers' Week 3 win over the Cardinals.

The easiest call of the week was Olsen lighting up this nonexistent Cardinals defense that had given up over 100 yards and a touchdown to both T.J. Hockenson and Mark Andrews Weeks 1 and 2. Olsen picked up right where those guys left off and dusted Arizona for a pair of red-zone scores while running free in the middle of the field for easy pitch-and-catch with Kyle Allen. Olsen has turned back the clock to start the year and is a stud TE1 heading into Week 4 at Houston.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:33 PM ET

Greg Olsen (back) remained limited at Thursday's practice.

Olsen has battled a back injury most of the season, though obviously it hasn't hindered his production to this point (16-221-2 on 25 targets). Fantasy owners can safely employ him as a TE1 Sunday at Houston.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Sep 26, 2019, 1:51 PM ET

Monitoring Olsen, whom I am ecstatic over with a FAAB pickup. I also picked up Dissly when Njoku went down. Now decisions on whom to start this week. I've got these two dead even this week. The injury status is what I will be following. Got Olsen in the TE slot as of now. 

Might be time to change the thread title.  Trade was 8 years ago.  Saw this thread at the top of the page and thought Olsen had just gotten dealt somewhere.

Greg Olsen caught 8-of-10 targets for 98 yards in the Panthers' Week 10 loss to the Packers.

The targets and catches are both new season highs for Olsen, who had been stuck in a slump since his 6-75-2 day against the Cardinals in Week 3. Olsen still hasn't scored since that day, but this was a nice rebound effort ahead of a tasty Week 11 date with the Falcons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Olsen (concussion) left Week 13 against the Redskins.

Olsen suffered a helmet-to-helmet hit while trying to pick up a first down in the third quarter. His day is likely over since he was knocked out before he even hit the ground. Olsen had two receptions for 14 yards before he left. When healthy, Olsen is on the TE1/2 borderline as an underneath target for Kyle Allen.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Dec 1, 2019, 3:33 PM ET

Greg Olsen (concussion) is not practicing Wednesday.

Olsen was knocked out cold in the Week 13 loss to the Redskins and figures to really be up against the wall to gain clearance for Sunday in Atlanta. If Olsen sits, Ian Thomas should be an every-down tight end with serious streamer appeal.

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 12:12 PM ET

Greg Olsen (concussion) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

Olsen has been making progress, but he remains in the concussion protocol. There's a good chance he's cleared, but it cannot be taken for granted at this stage of the season. Ian Thomas would remain a plug-and-play TE2 were Olsen to sit. If Olsen plays, he figures to slot into the TE12-15 part of the board.

Dec 12, 2019, 2:33 PM ET

Greg Olsen (concussion) was a full participant for Wednesday's practice.

Olsen was cleared from the league's concussion protocol to start the week, entailing he'll be at full health for Carolina's last two regular season games. With Ian Thomas recently playing nearly every down in the veteran's stead, though, Olsen's usage (especially with rookie Will Grier under center) is truly up in the air. Olsen has made it known he wants to continue playing through the final year of his contract, but his $11.8 million cap hit in 2020 isn't guaranteed with a new regime weighing all options. Bot he and Thomas should be shied away from in fantasy for Week 16.

SOURCE: Mike Triplett on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 2:36 PM ET

The Athletic's Richard Deitsch reports that FOX Sports has "made it clear" it will hire Greg Olsen as an announcer if he decides to retire.

Olsen has already served as a guest analyst for FOX for several years, so it would be a natural transition for the soon-to-be 35-year-old. During his test gigs, Olsen has been much better in the booth than fellow tight end Jason Witten was on Monday Night Football. Olsen finally shook his persistent foot woes in 2019 but had his least productive season since 2011. He has strongly hinted that he is leaning toward retirement.

SOURCE: Richard Deitsch on Twitter

Jan 28, 2020, 4:27 PM ET

Dr. Octopus said:
Olsen is very good in the booth. :thumbup:
He is. He and the Panthers just parted ways. He said he isn't sure if he will play for another team or do something else. I hope he decides to retire and becomes an announcer. It's been great having him as a player on the team I pull for the last 9 years. Great player and an even better person. #88  :heart:

hope the NYG call him, he is , afterall, from the north jersey area, dad is a football coaching legend in Wayne NJ.

Engram is made of glass, time for Gmen to move on from this clown.

That booth job will be waiting for him. I bet he plays one more season with Rivera in Washigton, where there's a huge need at TE and they're pushing the idea that with the defensive talent this could be a quick-turnaround. 

Olsen loves Rivera, and vice versa. I bet it happens. 

He was probably joking but read some tweet earlier yesterday, can't even remember from whom, but he was asked about NE and he said they wanted Gronk back and he was like the third option for them.

I know everyone is saying Washington and everyone is probably right, just seems odds to cite fact he wants out of Carolina because he does not want to undergo a rebuild only to go to Washington.

I thought he would retire when this off-season started but sure sounds like unless he finds a really cold market for his services he wants to keep playing. We should know soon as he is actually a FA as of today.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Greg Olsen will visit the Bills and Redskins this week.

Olsen, 35 next month, was officially released by the Panthers today and is free to sign elsewhere immediately. He wants to keep playing, and there are ties in both Buffalo and D.C. Bills GM Brandon Beane came over from Carolina, and new Redskins coach Ron Rivera obviously coached Olsen for a number of years. Washington has the bigger need at the position at the moment.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 3, 2020, 6:48 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Greg Olsen will visit the Seahawks this week.

He'll also visit the Bills and Redskins. 35 in March, Olsen has made it clear he wants to continue playing despite having a network offer on the table the moment he hangs up his cleats. The veteran tight end failed to log 16 games in any of the 2017 (7 games), 2018 (9) or 2019 (14) seasons but there's clearly a need at that position with Will Dissly coming off a torn Achilles'. The Seahawks are the preferred landing spot strictly for Olsen's fantasy outlook.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

, Seattle Seahawks

, Washington Redskins

Feb 4, 2020, 11:20 AM ET

menobrown said:
I know everyone is saying Washington and everyone is probably right, just seems odds to cite fact he wants out of Carolina because he does not want to undergo a rebuild only to go to Washington.
He's visited the Bills and is going to visit the Seahawks. Both make more sense which make more sense if he's trying to avoid a rebuild.

Speaking in a radio interview, Greg Olsen said his release from the Panthers was not really mutual.

That is how the move was billed in the team's announcement. "I told them all along that if they wanted me back ... obviously I would have been back," Olsen said. "The ‘mutual parting’ might have been a little overblown. The reality was, they weren’t going to bring me back. I understood it but I didn’t force my way out of here." Despite having broadcasting jobs on offer, Olsen will make the NFL rounds first. He is set to visit the Redskins, Bills and Seahawks.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: WFNZ on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 4:13 PM ET

Free agent Greg Olsen said he is hoping that the Bears reach out to him.

Olsen has visits with the Redskins, Bills, and Seahawks but hasn't heard from Chicago yet. That could obviously change with plenty of time left on the clock before the free agency period begins. The Bears tight ends combined for the fewest fantasy points in the league last year with Trey Burton, Adam Shaheen, and others missing time. It's likely the Bears address their tight end group this offseason. Whether that's via a signing or draft pick is to be determined.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Feb 5, 2020, 9:16 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Greg Olsen has completed his visits and has entered negotiations with the Bills, Redskins and Seahawks.

Olsen has wrapped up his free-agent visits and will soon decide on a new team. The 34-year-old (he'll turn 35 next month) will have a broadcast gig waiting for him whenever he decides to hang up his cleats, though the three-time Pro Bowler appears poised to play a 14th NFL season. Olsen logged three consecutive 1,000-yard campaigns from 2014-16 but has struggled to stay on the field in recent years, appearing in just 30 of 48 possible games the past three seasons. Joining the Redskins would reunite Olsen with his former Panthers head coach Ron Rivera.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

, Seattle Seahawks

, Washington Redskins

Feb 14, 2020, 9:28 AM ET

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Former Panthers’ TE Greg Olsen is signing a one-year, $7 million deal that includes $5.5M gtd with the Seahawks, per source. Olsen visited and negotiated with Buffalo, Seattle and Washington but felt most comfortable with the Seahawks.

Rotoworld take:

Seahawks signed TE Greg Olsen, formerly of the Panthers, to a one-year, $7 million contract.

Per Profootballtalk's Mike Florio, the deal includes $5.5 million guaranteed. That's on the higher end of what we were expecting. It's no wonder Olsen was willing to stay out of the T.V. booth for at least one more year. One month shy of his 35th birthday, Olsen finally kicked his years-long struggle with foot issues last season to post a 52/597/2 line, averaging a solid 11.5 yards per catch. He did so playing with backup quarterbacks in Carolina. The Seahawks have made tight end targets a staple of their offense in recent seasons. Provided he can stay healthy, it's a landing spot that keeps Olsen in the low-end TE1 conversation. At least for 2020, it's curtains for Jacob Hollister and Will Dissly's fantasy value.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Feb 18, 2020, 5:39 PM ET

@comfortably numb - It’s time for a thread title update!

I think he'll do well. Best QB he's had in years (since Cam hasn't been healthy in a long time) and Wilson is far more accurate than Cam anyway. 

Damn this sucks.  Kills his value and the value of Dissley/Hollister.  Also puts a dent in the Seattle WRs.
I don’t see how it affects the WRs - Dissley and Hollister saw targets anyway and Olsen will mostly just cut into those.

Honestly I don’t get this signing for Seattle at all. Olsen is 35 and Dissley and Hollister both showed well last season - waste of cap space that could have been used for their o-line and defense.

I don’t see how it affects the WRs - Dissley and Hollister saw targets anyway and Olsen will mostly just cut into those.

Honestly I don’t get this signing for Seattle at all. Olsen is 35 and Dissley and Hollister both showed well last season - waste of cap space that could have been used for their o-line and defense.
Dissly is coming off of achilles' tendon surgery though. That's a tall order to overcome that quickly for a bigger man. Hollister was a practice squad guy until this year. Perhaps Seattle felt Olsen had something left to give, at least for as many games as his foot holds out.

But your point is taken. You'd think they'd spend the money elsewhere if they're up against the cap. 

Dissly is coming off of achilles' tendon surgery though. That's a tall order to overcome that quickly for a bigger man. Hollister was a practice squad guy until this year. Perhaps Seattle felt Olsen had something left to give, at least for as many games as his foot holds out.

But your point is taken. You'd think they'd spend the money elsewhere if they're up against the cap. 
They traded for Hollister with the Patriots.

They traded for Hollister with the Patriots.
Yeah, I know. His stat line read that he was there. 

eta* Source: Jacob Hollister Had An "Extraordinary Day" In Seahawks' Win Over Tampa Bay. Three weeks after being promoted off of the practice squad, tight end Jacob Hollister came through with a big performance in Seattle's 40-34 overtime win over the Buccaneers.

eta** Re-reading my post, I can see why you would point that out, though. 

Dr. Octopus said:

They were thin at the position and Dissly has 10 games in two seasons due to two major injuries.  Hawks have a lot of cap space in addition for opportunities to clear more (i.e...TE Ed Dickson):

Since releasing Dickson saves the team $3M in cap space, subtracting that from Olsen’s projected hit, the difference between the two comes in at net cost of $2.9375M.

How come the Seahawks were able to sign him before FA started? Because he outright released? Are the other players who have been cut available to be signed now?

How come the Seahawks were able to sign him before FA started? Because he outright released? Are the other players who have been cut available to be signed now?
Yes. If a player under contract is released he becomes a free agent immediately. The bulk of the players are still technically under contract until the new league year starts - as that is when their contracts will expire.

Seahawks add Greg Olsen to potentially loaded tight end room

Greg Olsen, the Seattle Seahawks' newest tight end, has three Pro Bowls on his resume along with the second-most catches and receiving yards of any active tight end. He's also two weeks away from his 35th birthday and has missed a combined 18 games the past three seasons.

Will Dissly, one of Seattle's returning tight ends, has six touchdown catches in 10 career games. He's also coming off a torn Achilles, his second major injury in as many NFL seasons.

Russell Wilson could have one of the league's most potent collection of weapons at that position in 2020 if those two stay healthy, but that's hardly a given considering Olsen's age and both players' recent histories.

"I don't think there's any question," coach Pete Carroll said Tuesday when asked if Olsen and Dissly could be a special tandem. "... [Dissly] was thrilled to hear that Greg was coming, for obvious reasons, because he wants to be great and he wants to learn how he can learn from Greg. They'll both play on the field at the same time, I'm sure, and I'm excited to see that happen."

Olsen joins Dissly, veteran Ed Dickson and 2019 undrafted free agent Justin Johnson as tight ends the Seahawks have under contract for 2020. Luke Willson (unrestricted), Jacob Hollister (restricted) and Tyrone Swoopes (exclusive rights) are free agents. The Seahawks would save $3.4 million by cutting Dickson, who missed all of last season and six games in 2018. That seems even more likely now that Olsen has been on a one-year deal that, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, is worth $7 million, with $5.5 million guaranteed.

That hefty of a guarantee reflects the sizable market that Olsen had after his release from the Carolina Panthers and suggests a level of comfort with his health. Olsen missed two games last season with a concussion. He didn't have any issues with his right foot, which was injured for much of 2017 and '18.

"He's in pretty darn good shape right now for all of the years he's played," Carroll said.

How rare would a big season by Olsen be at his age? Over the past 20 years, only five tight ends 35 and older (based on their age as of Sept. 1) have caught 50 passes in a season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Those five, which include Jason Witten (63 catches at age 37 last season), combined to do it nine times in that span.

Then again, Olsen caught 52 passes at age 34 last season, and all but 12 of them were thrown by Kyle Allen.

Olsen will go from an undrafted backup in Allen to an MVP candidate in Wilson.

"Really looking forward to Greg," Carroll said. "We spent some time together here through this process and I was with him [Monday] again when he was signing up, and he can't help but make an impression about his smarts and his awareness and his resolve to be great and do something great and be a part of something. Russ has already seen this ... that they connect on a very high level about going for it and practicing and the playing and the concepts and the meaning of what it takes to get the work done. ... I don't think there's any ceiling we should put on their ability to get together. I'm really excited about that."

Dissly was off to a hot start last season, with 23 catches for 262 yards and four touchdowns in six games, before his injury. His six TDs over his first eight career games are tied with three others for the most by a tight end since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

General manager John Schneider said Monday he anticipates Dissly being ready for the start of the season. Dissly impressed the organization with the way he attacked his rehab from the torn patellar tendon that cut short his promising rookie season. That determination should serve him well as he recovers from his Achilles tear, but there are no guarantees with injuries that severe.

"Will Dissly's a really good football player," Carroll said. "We've loved everything that he's done. He just hasn't had enough time to really stack up numbers and all that, but there's no doubt that Will can play the game. At the line of scrimmage and downfield and catching and running, he's done all of that. Marvelous kid and competitor and all."

Schneider volunteered that he wants Willson back. That likely would be to compete for a roster spot.

As for Hollister, who was the team's most productive tight end and its third-leading receiver a year ago, the Seahawks have a few options for bringing him back.

One is to offer him the low/original-round RFA tender, which OverTheCap.com projects to be worth $2.144 million. The danger there is that because he was undrafted, the Seahawks wouldn't receive any compensation if another team signs Hollister to an offer sheet that Seattle declines to match. The second-round tender would entitle the Seahawks to a second-round pick in that scenario but would come with a projected $3.278 million salary, awfully steep for what could be a No. 3 tight end. The Seahawks could alternatively non-tender Hollister, making him an unrestricted free agent, then try to re-sign him for less than either of those amounts the way they did two years ago with running back Mike Davis.

It could go any number of ways with Hollister. The same is true for the Seahawks' tight end group as a whole in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread