What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kolb to AZ... (1 Viewer)

The Cardinals passer with the highest passer rating last year was Steve Breaston with a 79 rating. 14 points higher than the next highest....Derek Anderson.

Here's what I posted in the FA tracking thread:

I am a bit neutral on the Kolb deal, but I do think that Philly got the best of it. I also think that AZ didn't have much choice and had to do something here. I'm very worried about the D this year. I will grant that DRC did not have a great year last year, but the previous year he was a pro bowler, and he has a lot of potential to develop into something very good. He is also good enough to guard anyone on the opposing team. Our to three corners are now:

Greg Toler - fourth round pick a couple years ago from a small Div. II school. He's physical and has shown flashes. I like the way he plays. But I don't trust him to cover the #1 guy for the other team all year.

Michael Adams - a nice player on special teams, but really can't cover very well. He was completely exposed in the GB playoff game two years ago.

Patrick Peterson - a rookie. a rookie. a rookie. Sure, he looks great and could be special, but he's a rookie and will struggle this year.

Add in Adrian Wilson who can't cover anyone, and our secondary is in a world of hurt this year.

We definitely upgraded the offense with this deal, but we lose Breaston which offsets a little of that gain, and we weaken our secondary which offsets it some more.

Looks like a good year to have QB's and WR's playing the Cards.

Here's what I posted in the FA tracking thread:I am a bit neutral on the Kolb deal, but I do think that Philly got the best of it. I also think that AZ didn't have much choice and had to do something here. I'm very worried about the D this year. I will grant that DRC did not have a great year last year, but the previous year he was a pro bowler, and he has a lot of potential to develop into something very good. He is also good enough to guard anyone on the opposing team. Our to three corners are now:Greg Toler - fourth round pick a couple years ago from a small Div. II school. He's physical and has shown flashes. I like the way he plays. But I don't trust him to cover the #1 guy for the other team all year.Michael Adams - a nice player on special teams, but really can't cover very well. He was completely exposed in the GB playoff game two years ago.Patrick Peterson - a rookie. a rookie. a rookie. Sure, he looks great and could be special, but he's a rookie and will struggle this year.Add in Adrian Wilson who can't cover anyone, and our secondary is in a world of hurt this year.We definitely upgraded the offense with this deal, but we lose Breaston which offsets a little of that gain, and we weaken our secondary which offsets it some more.Looks like a good year to have QB's and WR's playing the Cards.
Dude, we went to the Super Bowl with Roderick Hood and DRC (ROOKIE) as starting corners. Patrick Peterson and Toler are a much better combination than those two.

I think this is a good deal for both teams. ARI did give up a bunch, but if Kolb pans out (not a strech giving the WR in ARI) they got a steal. Face it, young QBs are tough to find on the open market. For PHI, DRC should benefit by playing on the other side of Samuel and have a bounce back year.

Win-win for both teams IMO.

Anyone ever think about why no one seems to want Orton? Just think about it a little.
Maybe because he was awful in Chicago and become a beneficiary of a pass happy offense in Denver?
He wasn't awful in Chicago. He was actually decent in Chicago. He needs to have a solid running game and some decent WRs. He is certainly better than anyone in Seattle or Washington. He is never going to be a guy to take the team on his back and carry them, but he is a Trent Dilfer type of player.

Here's what I posted in the FA tracking thread:I am a bit neutral on the Kolb deal, but I do think that Philly got the best of it. I also think that AZ didn't have much choice and had to do something here. I'm very worried about the D this year. I will grant that DRC did not have a great year last year, but the previous year he was a pro bowler, and he has a lot of potential to develop into something very good. He is also good enough to guard anyone on the opposing team. Our to three corners are now:Greg Toler - fourth round pick a couple years ago from a small Div. II school. He's physical and has shown flashes. I like the way he plays. But I don't trust him to cover the #1 guy for the other team all year.Michael Adams - a nice player on special teams, but really can't cover very well. He was completely exposed in the GB playoff game two years ago.Patrick Peterson - a rookie. a rookie. a rookie. Sure, he looks great and could be special, but he's a rookie and will struggle this year.Add in Adrian Wilson who can't cover anyone, and our secondary is in a world of hurt this year.We definitely upgraded the offense with this deal, but we lose Breaston which offsets a little of that gain, and we weaken our secondary which offsets it some more.Looks like a good year to have QB's and WR's playing the Cards.
Dude, we went to the Super Bowl with Roderick Hood and DRC (ROOKIE) as starting corners. Patrick Peterson and Toler are a much better combination than those two.
Kutta is perpetually down on the Cards...so his Debbie Downer posts are pretty normal. It's definitely hard to shake the negative thoughts around this team. But take a look at the passing stats here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/2010.htmThat'll make you feel a little better about this trade

Last edited by a moderator:
If Kolb can just keep that shabby D off the field as often as it seemed to be on it last year, he's worth the price.

Bump up the Arizona RBs reception projections by about 20-30. Loved the game last year where Vick went down and Shady ended up with 12 receptions and 110 or so receiving yards...in ppr.

I'll go on record to say I love this deal for AZ. And congrats to the Cards, they can finally start to go forward with a plan.

This guy was good enough to hand over the eagle offense to last year but not good enough to throw to Fitz this year?

WOW.
How did that work out for the eagles? Why didn't Reid go back to him?
Absolutely ridiculous to even remotely suggest they didn't go back to Kolb because of anything Kolb did wrong. Were you paying even a LITTLE bit of attention last year?
Yup, I drafted him last year. Watched him get injured / #### the bed game 1. Continued to watch him be nothing but mediocre weeks 4-7. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/KolbKe00-3.php#gl-2010Did you watch anything? To me he had the deer in headlights look all season. If he was the future and Reids guy they wouldn't be trading him.

Wow, Arizona got raped here. While Kolb is obviously an upgrade for them (who wouldn't be?) they way overpaid.

To my knowledge no other team was seriously pursuing Kolb, so it looks like Arizona bid against itself.

DRC or the 2nd round pick alone should of been enough to get a deal done. If Arizona held their ground with philly, offering them their choice of a 2nd rounder or DRC what was philly going to do? Not accept it, hang onto Kolb this season with him being a backup, and then watch him leave in FA next year and get nothing in return?

I'd be highly suspect of any qb that's drafted and coached by Andy Reid, for 4 years, and is still notorious for bad decision making.

Philly made out better here than they did with the McNabb trade last year. Impressive.

I'll go on record to say I love this deal for AZ. And congrats to the Cards, they can finally start to go forward with a plan.

This guy was good enough to hand over the eagle offense to last year but not good enough to throw to Fitz this year?

WOW.
Absolutely ridiculous to even remotely suggest they didn't go back to Kolb because of anything Kolb did wrong. Were you paying even a LITTLE bit of attention last year?
Yup, I drafted him last year. Watched him get injured / #### the bed game 1. Continued to watch him be nothing but mediocre weeks 4-7. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/KolbKe00-3.php#gl-2010Did you watch anything? To me he had the deer in headlights look all season. If he was the future and Reids guy they wouldn't be trading him.
He was actually very good in weeks 5 and 6 last year against SF and ATL (4 TD's 1 int 579 yards passing). He struggled throwing the ball downfield against Washington but he was coming in off the bench after Vick got knocked out of the game. The Eagles actually almost won that game on the last play but Avant dropped a ball in the endzone that was in his hands. Actually if you take those 4 games and extrapolate his stats out over a full season, he would have 26 TD's, 16 Int's 4,044 yards passing. I think that is better than mediocre.

WOW.
He was actually very good in weeks 5 and 6 last year against SF and ATL (4 TD's 1 int 579 yards passing). He struggled throwing the ball downfield against Washington but he was coming in off the bench after Vick got knocked out of the game. The Eagles actually almost won that game on the last play but Avant dropped a ball in the endzone that was in his hands. Actually if you take those 4 games and extrapolate his stats out over a full season, he would have 26 TD's, 16 Int's 4,044 yards passing. I think that is better than mediocre.
Bingo ^Avant dropped a pass in one game, and Celek in another that were in their hands, wide open. Both games become wins, and Kolb is carried out on their shoulders. fast forward to today and now AZ got a steal in the deal! Amazing when people look at mere stats instead of the games.

Bingo ^ Avant dropped a pass in one game, and Celek in another that were in their hands, wide open. Both games become wins, and Kolb is carried out on their shoulders. fast forward to today and now AZ got a steal in the deal! Amazing when people look at mere stats instead of the games.
G-King, I love your inside info on Kolb, but you a bit biased on the situation.

Dude, we also had Rolle, Dansby, Warner, Boldin, and Breaston.

Wow, Arizona got raped here. While Kolb is obviously an upgrade for them (who wouldn't be?) they way overpaid.To my knowledge no other team was seriously pursuing Kolb, so it looks like Arizona bid against itself. DRC or the 2nd round pick alone should of been enough to get a deal done. If Arizona held their ground with philly, offering them their choice of a 2nd rounder or DRC what was philly going to do? Not accept it, hang onto Kolb this season with him being a backup, and then watch him leave in FA next year and get nothing in return?I'd be highly suspect of any qb that's drafted and coached by Andy Reid, for 4 years, and is still notorious for bad decision making.Philly made out better here than they did with the McNabb trade last year. Impressive.
Philly got the better deal but Arizona did not bid against itself. Philly did not have to trade Kolb, they already paid him majority of his contract and they didn't have to trade him if they did not get the right deal. Odds are Vick does not play all 16 games and will get beat up at times this year. Eagles know that and will make sure they get a viable QB that will have to step in for a few games.

Rolle

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

As a side note, I'm hearing now that with the trade the Cards and Eagles actually swapped 2nd round picks...anyone else hear this?

Wow, Arizona got raped here. While Kolb is obviously an upgrade for them (who wouldn't be?) they way overpaid.To my knowledge no other team was seriously pursuing Kolb, so it looks like Arizona bid against itself. DRC or the 2nd round pick alone should of been enough to get a deal done. If Arizona held their ground with philly, offering them their choice of a 2nd rounder or DRC what was philly going to do? Not accept it, hang onto Kolb this season with him being a backup, and then watch him leave in FA next year and get nothing in return?I'd be highly suspect of any qb that's drafted and coached by Andy Reid, for 4 years, and is still notorious for bad decision making.Philly made out better here than they did with the McNabb trade last year. Impressive.
Philly got the better deal but Arizona did not bid against itself. Philly did not have to trade Kolb, they already paid him majority of his contract and they didn't have to trade him if they did not get the right deal. Odds are Vick does not play all 16 games and will get beat up at times this year. Eagles know that and will make sure they get a viable QB that will have to step in for a few games.
You really think Philly would have kept Kolb and let him walk after this season rather than acquire the Cards 2nd round pick or DRC? Because I don't.Arizona completely caved here.

Kutta is perpetually down on the Cards...so his Debbie Downer posts are pretty normal. It's definitely hard to shake the negative thoughts around this team. But take a look at the passing stats here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/2010.htmThat'll make you feel a little better about this trade
Wait, what?You bet I was down on them last year. You can't lose Warner, Boldin, Rolle, and Dansby, do NOTHING to replace a retiring hall of fame QB, and expect to be the same team that won the division the past two years. So if that is to what you are referring, I think I was proven right last year being a "debbie downer."This year I see us doing nothing at all to upgrade our D. Our only "upgrades" are rookies, and we all know that they may or may not work out. We have a defensive coordinator in his first year. And we just traded away the guy that can cover anyone (yes, he had a rough year last year, but we know he has the potential) and we have not replaced him. How is this D going to be better?I think Kolb is an upgrade. I hope he is. But he does have only 11 TD's in his career against 14 ints. And his passer rating last year was a dismal 76.1. But as I said earlier, I think it is something we needed to do, I'm just tempering my enthusiasm because he is such an unknown quantity.

Rolle :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: As a side note, I'm hearing now that with the trade the Cards and Eagles actually swapped 2nd round picks...anyone else hear this?
I have not heard this.I agree that Rolle is "lmao: in coverage. But you have to admit he fit in well with the team, found himself around the ball quite a bit, and had some amazing picks for ints that helped us win some games.

One would think this is going to be a boost for the Cards WR, but if I recall, Celek saw the biggest boost in #s when Kolb was at the helm.
Now this is good thinking. Who are we talking about...Housler?
Not sure at the moment. I mentioned it earlier in another post and its purely speculative but with the Bears reportedly shopping Olsen, I wonder if ARI could be a landing spot. Olsen could split out and I'm sure the Cards would be looking at some more receiving options to fill in for Reason and give Kolb another reason to be happy on top of the 63 million reasons he already has.
If the Ravens don't have a deal to sign Todd Heap back, he might end up signing with the Cardinals and that would be good for Heap, Kolb, and the Cards. Heap went to school here and is still around in the off seasons.....

One would think this is going to be a boost for the Cards WR, but if I recall, Celek saw the biggest boost in #s when Kolb was at the helm.
Not sure at the moment. I mentioned it earlier in another post and its purely speculative but with the Bears reportedly shopping Olsen, I wonder if ARI could be a landing spot. Olsen could split out and I'm sure the Cards would be looking at some more receiving options to fill in for Reason and give Kolb another reason to be happy on top of the 63 million reasons he already has.
If the Ravens don't have a deal to sign Todd Heap back, he might end up signing with the Cardinals and that would be good for Heap, Kolb, and the Cards. Heap went to school here and is still around in the off seasons.....
Since the Cards just signed Jeff King, I doubt they will sign another veteran TE this year.

Bingo ^ Avant dropped a pass in one game, and Celek in another that were in their hands, wide open. Both games become wins, and Kolb is carried out on their shoulders. fast forward to today and now AZ got a steal in the deal! Amazing when people look at mere stats instead of the games.
haha, no doubt I'm biased. But you as an Eagles fan can't deny what I wrote? You watched those two games, and my point is that if you add the 20-30 yards, 1 more TD, and the win to each of those games, then the guys spouting off his stats who did not even watch what happened then think he is the next Warner. Just saying that the stats do not always reflect what happened.Agree?

haha, no doubt I'm biased. But you as an Eagles fan can't deny what I wrote? You watched those two games, and my point is that if you add the 20-30 yards, 1 more TD, and the win to each of those games, then the guys spouting off his stats who did not even watch what happened then think he is the next Warner. Just saying that the stats do not always reflect what happened.Agree?
G, you have seen enough football to know that you can pretty much say that about any player, except the very worst ones. The difference in talent in the NFL is so small, and it is the small things that make the difference.I'm sure he also threw a few passes that had no business being caught but the WR made the play. You could just as easily take those plays away and his stats would be worse.

Since the Cards just signed Jeff King, I doubt they will sign another veteran TE this year.
Heap missing three games due to injury last year had close to the best season King had four years ago.....I doubt if the Cards knew Heap was going to have been cut would not have been interested - at least in checking him out healthwise. And there are two TE sets in Whiz' playbook in addition to Heap mentoring Housler....lots of reason to at least look at the AZ native and ASU star....we will see

I doubt if the Cards knew Heap was going to have been cut would not have been interested - at least in checking him out healthwise.
They knew he was cut before they signed King.

I think the Cards bid against the fact that both Fitz and Kolb would become FA's next year. Eagles, I think would franchise him and shop him around, because, we do know there is a high probability of Vick missing a game or two. Show off his goods some more, get franchised in the off-season, and shopped around again. Situations change from year to year and we know that who is a starter today could easily become a goner tomorrow. I think they overpaid just to avoid a headache of a possible off-season after 2011 where they undoubtedly would be way way worse off without Kolb this year and no guarantees of getting Kolb, Fitz or Luck next year. They get 2 of the 3 obviously this year. Win win for both sides, although as an Eagles fan that is dreaming of a Superbowl run, I like this deal for my side more...

As an Eagles fan I can't understand all this "we over paid" for him talk....

How about seeing how he does with one of the best WR's in the game first. In a division that weak he could very well be the missing piece to get Arizona back into the playoffs.

Kolb was one Clay Matthews atomic tackle and one Mike Vick mega season no one saw coming from a vastly different season last year. I think AZ should be very happy to have a fighting chance on offense now. Seriously Danderson, Max Hall and Skelton last yr.

Now if we sign Malcolm Floyd, I'll start getting a little happier...
The Malcolm Floyd to AZ chatter is starting to pick up :thumbup:
:yuck:Give me Stephen Williams over overpaying a 30 year old WR. I see no problem with the current Cards WR core. If Doucet can't return, then look for a #3/#4 guy. Williams didn't show much in the regular season, but the guy flashed big time throughout camp last year and into the preseason.Roberts looked nice at the end of the season. I'm just as interested in seeing Williams this year, I really believe he's a guy that can be a solid #2 WR. The guy doesn't lack the physical talent. Hopefully he's more mentally prepared this year.

:yuck:Give me Stephen Williams over overpaying a 30 year old WR. I see no problem with the current Cards WR core. If Doucet can't return, then look for a #3/#4 guy. Williams didn't show much in the regular season, but the guy flashed big time throughout camp last year and into the preseason.Roberts looked nice at the end of the season. I'm just as interested in seeing Williams this year, I really believe he's a guy that can be a solid #2 WR. The guy doesn't lack the physical talent. Hopefully he's more mentally prepared this year.
Kent Sommers just tweeted that the Malcolm Floyd talk is dying down in AZ.

Robert's gonna open some eyes this year. He's gonna make AZ fans forget about Breaston and Doucet. Guy who has him in our dynasty wont budge. I've tried. Doggone it.

Hooray. WR should be the least of the team's priorities IMHO. Just makes absolutely no sense to overpay a soon to be 30 year old WR -- when the #1,#2,#3....th priorities is paying WR Larry Fitzgerald. Team could use a #3/#4 WR.I like the potential of both Roberts and Williams. (Developed a man love for the latter last camp/preseason) Roberts flashed at the end of the season -- great sign for him. Quite frankly, he looked awful in camp last year to the point I wondered if he'd make the team. Thankfully he did and really stepped up at the end of last year.

Kolb and the Cards are certainly fighting history...

Check out the stats here 2nd round QBs. Still I like his chances at least as much as most of the 2010 1st round QBs that they could have had instead...

'Johnny Ice said:
Well at least he will bring Fitz's stock back up, as far as winning games not so much.
His dad isn't a fan (As per twitter):Chris WesselingFitz's dad not impressed RT @FitzBeatSr Kolb the next Kurt Warner? That's measuring stick. $63 million! What's he done? Eagles fleeced Cards

'kutta said:
'Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:
'Federal said:
'kutta said:
Yep, and the Floyd to SF talk is heating up now...

Users who are viewing this thread