What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (1 Viewer)

I guess it will just never end. AJ Green has a couple good games, this thread gets bumped, and he's again clearly better than Julio.

Here's the passing defense ratings of the teams the Bengals have played so far: 20th, 28th, 29th, 31st. Julio has faced the 13th, 14th 18th and 22nd rated pass Ds.

AJ Green is an excellent WR. So is Julio. Green has a slightly better situation right now due to being clearly the best option on his own team. Julio has to share with a couple other very talented players for now. Situations are temporary however, and its entirely possible that within a year or two, that could be the opposite.

They both are going to end up top 10, and they both are going to have good weeks and bad ones.

Should the fact that AJ Green is playing vs DAL, @PHI, @PIT for FF playoffs be a concern?
Dallas doesn't scare me at all. Their pass defense looks good on paper but look at the games. Seattle was way up. They didn't need to pass but it looks like they had a great pass d in that game

Green is as consistent as you can get.
I seriously don't even know how this is even in question at this point. Green is clearly the better WR right now.
Green just makes the position look so easy it's frightening. The catch he made on that long TD was very difficult. He was running full speed and had to catch that ball low, near his shins, and did so with absolutely no loss of speed or wasted motion. He made another catch on a fade that was thrown out of bounds that I rewound like 4 time just to appreciate its level of difficulty. He made it look effortless though. If you watch full games of Cincinnati these kinds of plays jump out of the screen regularly. I don't know what else to say. :jawdrop:

Green is as consistent as you can get.
I seriously don't even know how this is even in question at this point. Green is clearly the better WR right now.
Green just makes the position look so easy it's frightening. The catch he made on that long TD was very difficult. He was running full speed and had to catch that ball low, near his shins, and did so with absolutely no loss of speed or wasted motion. He made another catch on a fade that was thrown out of bounds that I rewound like 4 time just to appreciate its level of difficulty. He made it look effortless though. If you watch full games of Cincinnati these kinds of plays jump out of the screen regularly. I don't know what else to say. :jawdrop:
everyone in the stadium knows he's going to get the ball, they double him but still doesn't matter. He just puts up numbers week after week...that's the sign of a star.

I found the bolded part funny..

A.J. Green caught seven passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' 34-24 Week 6 loss to the Browns.

Shadow coverage from Joe Haden wasn't an issue. Green's first touchdown came when the Browns were in zone coverage on a goal-line play. His second touchdown was of the spectacular variety as he ran past Haden and hauled in a 57-yard pass with his fingertips. Green now has six touchdowns and 628 yards in six games. He's fantasy's No. 1 wideout heading into next week's matchup with a burnable Steelers' secondary. Green is proving that his talent is on par with the Calvin Johnsons and Julio Jones of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.J. Green caught seven passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' 34-24 Week 6 loss to the Browns.

Shadow coverage from Joe Haden wasn't an issue. Green's first touchdown came when the Browns were in zone coverage on a goal-line play. His second touchdown was of the spectacular variety as he ran past Haden and hauled in a 57-yard pass with his fingertips. Green now has six touchdowns and 628 yards in six games. He's fantasy's No. 1 wideout heading into next week's matchup with a burnable Steelers' secondary. Green is proving that his talent is on par with the Calvin Johnsons and Julio Jones of the world.
He outproduced Jones year one and will do it year 2. Hopefully next year he can be as good as Julio.

He outproduced Jones year one and will do it year 2. Hopefully next year he can be as good as Julio.
must be from Rotoworld.

I'm kind of hoping people keep shorting his ability.

AJ is playing like the best WR in the league right now along with Cruz and Harvin. He makes it look so easy, nearly Moss-like in his prime.

After 6 games, on pace for:

115 catches

1675 yards

16 TDs

A true pleasure to watch here in Cincy. Scary to think that he's just 6 games into his 2nd year and that he could actually get better.

I really don't understand Atlanta's usage of Julio Jones. While Jones is phenomenal after the catch on short and intermediate routes, his ball skills are probably one of the weaker aspects of his game. For some reason Atlanta continues to try to force the ball deep to him and predictably Jones has been highly inefficient with those targets.

I really don't understand Atlanta's usage of Julio Jones. While Jones is phenomenal after the catch on short and intermediate routes, his ball skills are probably one of the weaker aspects of his game. For some reason Atlanta continues to try to force the ball deep to him and predictably Jones has been highly inefficient with those targets.
Is it because they have Gonzo to work the underneth and want to use the WRs to stretch the field? I don't really get it either to be honest. Jones doe not track the ball well and that seems to be where his issues on down field plays originate.

Ugh. pretty much held in check by the Steelers defense. I was expecting alot more.
Come on. He's on pace for 1450 yds and 16 TDs, and still snagged a TD yesterday anyway against the Steelers. Let's give the guy a break--he's been paying massive dividends this year!

I am not down on him at all. He is truly one of the few must start guys in FF. I just wanted him to show more to get some more national attention (especially since CIncy is rarely on the big screen).

'duaneok66 said:
I am not down on him at all. He is truly one of the few must start guys in FF. I just wanted him to show more to get some more national attention (especially since CIncy is rarely on the big screen).
If people don't realize how good he is by now, they must be living under a NFL rock. Or they are just in denial. The Steelers where giving him Moss-like treatment in coverage. Dalton was afraid to hold onto the ball long enough to give him a chance in deep plays.

I'm the biggest Julio fan there is, at this point it's AJ Green and it's not even close.

AJ is threatening (or may has already surpassed) C. Johnson for the best receiver in the game.

I don't believe Binns played against the Steelers, FWIW. They had no threat outside of Green. Ryan Whalen wasn't exactly striking fear into the hearts of the Steeler's secondary.

both are great but in the long run i think AJ will get banged up. He's lanky and Julio has a better chance of surving years of pro punishment.

both are great but in the long run i think AJ will get banged up. He's lanky and Julio has a better chance of surving years of pro punishment.
ROFL. Because he's done such a bang up job so far. What you just stated is exactly the opposite of what's happened.

I never see AJ take many big hits. He's got such good body control and such incredible awareness he just glides to the ground when he gets tackled... he's basically the second coming of Randy Moss, who never really had any persistent injury issues throughout his entire career.

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones was the go-to guy over Roddy White Week 8 at Philadelphia, as has been the case every time the Falcons have played on the road (or on grass or outdoors) this season. He tied for the team lead with five targets and five catches but dominated the yardage column with a season-high 123. The big blow came in the second quarter on a 63-yard bomb down the sideline that Jones took the last few yards for a touchdown. In four games on the road, he now has 26 catches for 392 yards and five touchdowns. In three games at home, he has nine catches for 107 yards and no touchdowns.
There is a pattern forming here, especially for this season. WR1 for away games? WR3 for home games? You guys buying this?

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones was the go-to guy over Roddy White Week 8 at Philadelphia, as has been the case every time the Falcons have played on the road (or on grass or outdoors) this season. He tied for the team lead with five targets and five catches but dominated the yardage column with a season-high 123. The big blow came in the second quarter on a 63-yard bomb down the sideline that Jones took the last few yards for a touchdown. In four games on the road, he now has 26 catches for 392 yards and five touchdowns. In three games at home, he has nine catches for 107 yards and no touchdowns.
There is a pattern forming here, especially for this season. WR1 for away games? WR3 for home games? You guys buying this?
Coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less. That would be the silliest coaching philosophy I've ever heard of.To be honest, from what I've seen Jones seems to drop balls at home more often. Maybe it's got something to do

with the dome lighting?

I fully support aj in this topic, but with that said when tony g goes into retirement i fully expect julio to be the #1 ppr wr by points per game average although i still think aj will be the better "pure" wr.

I'm actually benching JJ this week because of the home/away deal. But then again, it's not much of a leap. I'm starting AJG and Brandon Marshall. Ironically, I'm playing against Roddy White

I guess it will just never end. AJ Green has a couple good games, this thread gets bumped, and he's again clearly better than Julio. Here's the passing defense ratings of the teams the Bengals have played so far: 20th, 28th, 29th, 31st. Julio has faced the 13th, 14th 18th and 22nd rated pass Ds. AJ Green is an excellent WR. So is Julio. Green has a slightly better situation right now due to being clearly the best option on his own team. Julio has to share with a couple other very talented players for now. Situations are temporary however, and its entirely possible that within a year or two, that could be the opposite. They both are going to end up top 10, and they both are going to have good weeks and bad ones.
Interesting that nobody has bumped this since Nov 1. Also interesting is that after I posted this on Oct 1st (right after week 4), Julio outscored AJ Green by 2 fantasy points the remainder of the year. (in my non-ppr league). Green finished 4th with 195 points, and Julio finished 9th, with 175 points. Throwing out their respective bye weeks, comparing the two head to head, Green won 8 weeks to Julio's 7. (Julio had 123 + a TD on Green's bye week. Green had 1 catch for an 8 yard TD on Julios bye.)Here's some year end stats. AJ Green: 165 Targets, 97/1350/11, 13.9ypcJulio Jones: 128 Targets, 79/1198/10, 15.2ypcObviously the targets have a huge impact here. Green saw 37 more targets and racked up 18/152/1 more than Julio. It will be interesting to see if that continues to play out. Obviously Gonzo and Roddy are much better than any option B on the Bengals. They are also both getting near the end of their careers. It could mean more targets for Julio, but also possibly more defensive attention.

I guess it will just never end. AJ Green has a couple good games, this thread gets bumped, and he's again clearly better than Julio. Here's the passing defense ratings of the teams the Bengals have played so far: 20th, 28th, 29th, 31st. Julio has faced the 13th, 14th 18th and 22nd rated pass Ds. AJ Green is an excellent WR. So is Julio. Green has a slightly better situation right now due to being clearly the best option on his own team. Julio has to share with a couple other very talented players for now. Situations are temporary however, and its entirely possible that within a year or two, that could be the opposite. They both are going to end up top 10, and they both are going to have good weeks and bad ones.
Interesting that nobody has bumped this since Nov 1. Also interesting is that after I posted this on Oct 1st (right after week 4), Julio outscored AJ Green by 2 fantasy points the remainder of the year. (in my non-ppr league). Green finished 4th with 195 points, and Julio finished 9th, with 175 points. Throwing out their respective bye weeks, comparing the two head to head, Green won 8 weeks to Julio's 7. (Julio had 123 + a TD on Green's bye week. Green had 1 catch for an 8 yard TD on Julios bye.)Here's some year end stats. AJ Green: 165 Targets, 97/1350/11, 13.9ypcJulio Jones: 128 Targets, 79/1198/10, 15.2ypcObviously the targets have a huge impact here. Green saw 37 more targets and racked up 18/152/1 more than Julio. It will be interesting to see if that continues to play out. Obviously Gonzo and Roddy are much better than any option B on the Bengals. They are also both getting near the end of their careers. It could mean more targets for Julio, but also possibly more defensive attention.
Green hardly played in week 17, no?

Kind of misses the point, but yes the Bengal starting offense only played the 1st half. Both teams had nothing really to gain in their respective games. Julio went 3/56/0 on 6 targets.Green went 2/26/0 on 2 targets.

Kind of misses the point, but yes the Bengal starting offense only played the 1st half. Both teams had nothing really to gain in their respective games. Julio went 3/56/0 on 6 targets.Green went 2/26/0 on 2 targets.
I get you're point. None the less it seems appropriate to point out that Green hardly played in one of those games when, as you stated, Julio outscored him by 2 points and game advantage in points was 8 to 7. Those are thin differences and Green could have easily outscored Jones in that time frame with just one more catch. He could have also increased the game advantage to 9 to 6. Again, I get you're point. Both are great and will continue to be. Still, those numbers alone don't really portray the whole picture when the results could have been so different had Green simply played the entire game last week.

'jurb26 said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
'jurb26 said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
I get you're point. None the less it seems appropriate to point out that Green hardly played in one of those games when, as you stated, Julio outscored him by 2 points and game advantage in points was 8 to 7. Those are thin differences and Green could have easily outscored Jones in that time frame with just one more catch. He could have also increased the game advantage to 9 to 6. Again, I get you're point. Both are great and will continue to be. Still, those numbers alone don't really portray the whole picture when the results could have been so different had Green simply played the entire game last week.
Throw out week 17 entirely then. I don't think either offense was full go, so lets just throw it out all together. Makes the HTH matchup 8-6 in favor of Green. If we're gonna do that though, we should probably include their respective bye weeks HTH. Julio went over 130 total yards and a TD while Green was on bye. Green had 1 catch for a 8 yard TD while Julio was on bye. Advantage Julio. Back to 8-7 HTH.There's a lot of posts here declaring Green the winner in a landslide. Just trying to point out this is a lot closer than many here would have you believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great discussion here, guys. Both are elite talents. I personally have AJ a touch higher, but I don't see the gap being huge. The way AJ was playing early, it looked like a clear gap was being generated, but the way things closed out painted a different picture.

'jurb26 said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
'jurb26 said:
'Kitrick Taylor said:
Throw out week 17 entirely then. I don't think either offense was full go, so lets just throw it out all together. Makes the HTH matchup 8-6 in favor of Green. If we're gonna do that though, we should probably include their respective bye weeks HTH. Julio went over 130 total yards and a TD while Green was on bye. Green had 1 catch for a 8 yard TD while Julio was on bye. Advantage Julio. Back to 8-7 HTH.There's a lot of posts here declaring Green the winner in a landslide. Just trying to point out this is a lot closer than many here would have you believe.
I think Green is better but you're essentially talking #2 o/all wr vs. the #6 o/all. Both are excellent.

Great discussion here, guys. Both are elite talents. I personally have AJ a touch higher, but I don't see the gap being huge. The way AJ was playing early, it looked like a clear gap was being generated, but the way things closed out painted a different picture.
Green is the better player. That I have no doubt on. At least right now he is. That could change over time but I don't think similar stats indicate similar level ability. Green is doubled pretty much all the time. Despite that he gets open regularly. Jones doesn't get doubled hardly ever due to White and Gonzo. I think it's Rey reasonable that Jones has greater fantasy success than Green but I'd still say Green is the better NFL WR. He is already the 2nd best in the game. I've felt that way since last year and he's only gotten better. Jones is also a top 10 guy but he jus isn't there with Green. Splitting hairs here really as both are amazing.

Green is the better player. That I have no doubt on. At least right now he is. That could change over time but I don't think similar stats indicate similar level ability. Green is doubled pretty much all the time. Despite that he gets open regularly. Jones doesn't get doubled hardly ever due to White and Gonzo. I think it's Rey reasonable that Jones has greater fantasy success than Green but I'd still say Green is the better NFL WR. He is already the 2nd best in the game. I've felt that way since last year and he's only gotten better. Jones is also a top 10 guy but he jus isn't there with Green. Splitting hairs here really as both are amazing.
In addition to the lesser coverage Julio receives, he has also has the better (how much?) NFL QB.

Bengals' A.J. Green elite now; new additions may send him off charts
Clark Judge

CINCINNATI -- A.J. Green says he's not an elite wide receiver, but he's wrong. He's among the game's top three or four and should've been voted to last year's All-Pro team.

Guaranteed, he will be this year, and here's why: Because he finally has support.

With the additions of rookies Tyler Eifert and Giovani Bernard and the return of wide receiver Mohamed Sanu, Green has the playmakers around him he did not at the end of last season, and I know what you're thinking: So what? Well, so they could relax the suffocating double-coverages that kept Green from scoring in all but one of his last seven starts.

"We've just got more options now," said Green, "It's welcome, but it doesn't matter to me. I take the pressure as it comes."

Unfortunately for him, he took more than his fair share down the stretch last season -- especially after Sanu bowed out because of a season-ending foot injury. With no other reliable option, the Bengals' passing game sputtered, with no one affected more than Green, who wasn't targeted once in the first half of the club's playoff loss to Houston.

"The whole thing [near the end of the season] was that teams were trying to take me away," Green said. "Was it frustrating? Just a little. But sometimes that's part of the game. If you want to be a great receiver you have to learn how to get open."

A couple of things there jump out at you, with the first that statement about "if you want to be a great receiver ..." Sorry, but Green already is there. Yeah, I know, he's been in the league only two years, but look what he's done in that time:

Become the first NFL player to reach 100 catches, 1,500 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns in his first 20 games and only the seventh player in Pro Bowl history to score three times in one game ... which happened in January.

Then there's that part about learning "to get open." If Green hadn't solved that mystery the Bengals wouldn't have reached the playoffs the past two seasons. There's no more valuable weapon on this team than A.J. Green, and if he's not open the Bengals aren't winning -- which is why the arrivals of Eifert and Bernard are so important to the future of the Bengals.

"He's definitely an elite receiver," said teammate Leon Hall, one of the game's top cornerbacks. "I'm kind of in awe of how talented he is."

He's not alone. I remember when Green was at the 2011 NFL scouting combine, and an NFC general manager told me he'd rank him among the league's top six receivers ... and that was before the guy was even drafted.

It's no coincidence that when Green and Andy Dalton showed up, the Bengals showed up in the playoffs -- reaching them in both of their first two seasons. So don't tell me A.J. Green isn't already a top-shelf wide receiver.

Because he is.

"No," said Green, "I'm not there yet. This is only my third year, and I have a lot more learning to do. The biggest thing at this position is consistency -- to keep getting better each year and don't regress -- and that's my goal. I've been in the league two years so I still have a lot of time. When I get to Year Six, maybe then I can say I'm one of those receivers."

Or maybe he can say it this year. Green last season had scoring receptions in all but one of his first 10 starts and three 100-yard performances in his first six, so there goes the consistency angle. He insists, however, that he needs to work on becoming "more of a student" so he can better communicate with teammates and Dalton, and, OK, let's give him that.

But talk about picky. That's what experience is all about, and the more you watch A.J. Green the more you realize he's not a star waiting to happen; he's already there -- regardless of what he acknowledges.

When I asked Hall what part of Green's game impresses him most he answered with one word -- "talent" -- and that talent was evident again at last week's OTA when Green made a remarkable, over-the-head catch that had coaches talking a week later.

Most observers thought the pass was uncatchable, yet Green somehow ran it down, stretched to catch it with both hands at knee level, somehow shifted the ball to his right hand and touched the ground with his left before straightening up. Then he turned around and punted the ball 50 yards.

"He realized it was a great catch," Hall said. "That's why he punted. He knew it was kind of special."

So why doesn't he realize he's kind of special, too? Answer: Because that's not A.J. Green. He is reluctant to endorse himself and is less likely to draw attention to himself. He doesn't salsa in the end zone. He doesn't mock defenders. And he hasn't punctuated a touchdown by proposing to a cheerleader.

"That's not me," he said. "I just go out and play football. One of the greatest basketball players to ever play is Tim Duncan, and you don't hear him. But you can see what he does on the court. So that's one of the things I look at. I'm just going to go out there and play football, and you all [the media] can be the judge of that."

Fair enough. We will. And I say you're about to hear a lot more about A.J. Green and the Cincinnati Bengals.

"What is this -- his third year?" asked Hall. "With the elite receivers, it's always a question of how long can you do it? But I have confidence in the fact that if he stays healthy and he keeps working as he has been he'd have no choice but to call himself an elite receiver."

Users who are viewing this thread