What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FPC Red vs Blue 8/5/11 LIVE draft 10pm EST (1 Viewer)

Here you go!!!

Live Broadcast on Red vs Blue BlogTalkRadio hosted by Scott Atkins and Mike Trent

1. Glenneration X - FBG

2. Lost in Hilbert Space

3. T-N-T

4. Money Incorporated

5. White Razors FBG

6. Mile High Wonders 2

7. Existential Crisis

8. Captain's Legacy

9. Greenwood Invincibles

10. Trunk Monkey

11. Stink Fingers

12. Chimeras

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this group has some interesting names on the board.

Time for some of you to come out of the closet and defend yourself :boxing:

Scott and I have teamed up to subject you to the domination of "CAPTAIN'S LEGACY"

In addition you get all your picks announced and analyzed on the Red V Blue show on blog talk radio Friday night

For those of you not in this league but in the contest you should be listening/watching/even asking questions at blog talk on Friday night - it IS the only FREE ADP you will get before you draft in this event.

would have liked to have jumped in on this...my draft is the night before...so you'll be using my ADP. :boxing:

how does someone pull up other drafts to see how they fared?
Not sure of the question...but1) If you have drafted you have access to YOUR draft2) You can not and should not see other drafts3) People should NOT post their drafts on the site (I suppose if you want to discuss your OWN team - but why would you give that information to your competitors)4) The only FBG PC draft that everyone can see is this draft on Friday night which will be broadcast on the Red V Blue show on blog talk radio (pretty sure that Scott = Team Legacy will pop by here and post a link before Friday night)

how does someone pull up other drafts to see how they fared?
Not sure of the question...but1) If you have drafted you have access to YOUR draft2) You can not and should not see other drafts3) People should NOT post their drafts on the site (I suppose if you want to discuss your OWN team - but why would you give that information to your competitors)4) The only FBG PC draft that everyone can see is this draft on Friday night which will be broadcast on the Red V Blue show on blog talk radio (pretty sure that Scott = Team Legacy will pop by here and post a link before Friday night)
1 - Correct2 - It is currently set up this way3 - Correct, it is typically common courtesy to not publish drafts other than your own team4 - Correct. There may be other drafts down the line that may be viewable but the participants will be made aware in advance prior to registering

would have liked to have jumped in on this...my draft is the night before...so you'll be using my ADP. :boxing:
HUCKS go find a better playpen you would have been WAY out of your league in this one
CHANGE IN LINE UP..I put someone in it that should not have been. Lou Tranquilli bailed me out.Thanks Lou! Hope no one is using BFDFantasyFootball.com as a cheat sheet. :hophead: Red vs Blue Radio Broadcast1 - Glen Lowy - Glenneration X - FBG2 - Kern Reeve - Lost in Hilbert Space3 - Tim Daneau / Tim Beaulieu - T-N-T4 - Ormond Rose - Money Incorporated5 - Garrick McFadden - White Razors FBG6 - Dan Weiss - Mile High Wonders 27 - David Lipke - Existential Crisis9 - Scott Atkins / Perry Van Hook - Captain's Legacy8 - Vince Barkman - Greenwood Invincibles10 - Gary Allen - Trunk Monkey11 - Lou Tranquilli BFDFantasyFootball.com12 - Henry Muto - ChimerasThe draft starts at 10 pm Eastern and Scott has a 2 hour show planned.

@redblueradio

Here's the link to listen to the show:

Red vs Blue LIVE Show - Special Start time 10pm EST

Here's the link to watch the draft unfold LIVE (color coded draft grid) courtesy of RTSports:

FOLLOW the Color Coded DRAFT grid LIVE

If you want to be part of "The Crew", the LIVE CHAT room here at Red vs Blue, you can follow that here:

"The Crew" - LIVE Chat Room

Troubleshooting:

1. If you can't hear the audio, try using a different browser like google Chrome.

2. Hit refresh (F5)

3. If you can't get the chat to open, try updating your flash player at Adobe Flash

thru 6 it's ovah!

Nicks/Fitz turn at 1.12 and 2.01 i have seen many times already in mocks and yawls let him get Ingram/Rivers in the 5th/6th ... just wow

Chimeras win the league, everyone playing for second

mile high wonders looking good too, chimera had to pick a handcuff awful early so mile high got back in the mix

LOL at the commentator that said he didnt see alot of point scorers on Mile High Wonders and Jeff Pasquino said "hmmm no i see ALOT of point scorers there"

"Bowe one week good and one week bad"???? ....... led league in TDs and scored TDs in SEVERAL games in a row

he just wont stop

same commentator dissing the Delone Carter pick ... "i mean when is the last time Indy had a guy you'd have as your #1 RB" .... Jeff said "ummm Edgerrin James?!?"

LOL

What are the rules and starting positions in this league? is it ppr?
Several places in this Forum with rules or links to themFBG PC is same scoring/rules as FFPCPPR with 1.5 for TEQB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/K/DSTFlex can be RB/WR/TE

mile high wonders looking good too, chimera had to pick a handcuff awful early so mile high got back in the mix
Well I was between a rock and a hard place there. Because I decided to take Rivers (because most of the good backs were gone by then) I left myself a problem come round 7.I had to decide between taking 2 RBs from different teams and hoping they are starters or do I lock up the Arizona back field and make sure I have a RB 2.I decided to go for the lock up of a RB position because I have a star QB, star TE, star WR's and depth at WR as well. I knew my RB's would be weak as I went in with the strategy that I was going to take Nicks and Fitz at the turn there to open the draft. I went into the draft thinking I was taking a WR and RB in rounds 3 and 4. I walked in wanting to go WR-WR-WR but when most of the stud RB's went off the board before my 3rd pick and one of the few remaining stud TE's fell I changed my mind on the round 4 pick and went TE over back. Then the long wait began to see which RB's if any I felt were worth a round 5 value would fall to me. Ingram fell and I went for him but he was the only 1 I liked at that spot so with Rivers, Manning and Brady also falling to round 6 I opted for a stud QB over a 2nd RB.We will see how this turns out. I need Ingram to be special to have a chance.

Thanks for letting me back in :-) We are both banking on our rookie RB's.

Well I was between a rock and a hard place there. Because I decided to take Rivers (because most of the good backs were gone by then) I left myself a problem come round 7.I had to decide between taking 2 RBs from different teams and hoping they are starters or do I lock up the Arizona back field and make sure I have a RB 2.I decided to go for the lock up of a RB position because I have a star QB, star TE, star WR's and depth at WR as well. I knew my RB's would be weak as I went in with the strategy that I was going to take Nicks and Fitz at the turn there to open the draft. I went into the draft thinking I was taking a WR and RB in rounds 3 and 4. I walked in wanting to go WR-WR-WR but when most of the stud RB's went off the board before my 3rd pick and one of the few remaining stud TE's fell I changed my mind on the round 4 pick and went TE over back. Then the long wait began to see which RB's if any I felt were worth a round 5 value would fall to me. Ingram fell and I went for him but he was the only 1 I liked at that spot so with Rivers, Manning and Brady also falling to round 6 I opted for a stud QB over a 2nd RB.We will see how this turns out. I need Ingram to be special to have a chance.

You took the guy I was debating between in Stewart.I was debating Stewart, Wells and Williams...do I take Stewart and 1 of the Arizona backs and hope I get 1 starter out of that or do I just take both Arizona backs and make sure I get a starter.If I took Stewart and Wells I may have 0, 1 or 2 starters.I opted for the "safe" play and took both Arizona backs.Right or wrong we will see. Most people would not want to blow 2 high picks on 1 starter like that...but I am not most people.I did this same thing in 2007 I started the draft with 6 straight non RB's going 4 WR's a TE and a QB. Then in round 7/8 I paired up Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown.I came in 2nd place that year we will see how I fair this year.

I was actually contemplating the same strategy that you took but decided on Stewart instead. I suspect one of the two will have a very good year or I suppose it could be like the CAR situation where both get points.

You took the guy I was debating between in Stewart.I was debating Stewart, Wells and Williams...do I take Stewart and 1 of the Arizona backs and hope I get 1 starter out of that or do I just take both Arizona backs and make sure I get a starter.If I took Stewart and Wells I may have 0, 1 or 2 starters.I opted for the "safe" play and took both Arizona backs.Right or wrong we will see. Most people would not want to blow 2 high picks on 1 starter like that...but I am not most people.I did this same thing in 2007 I started the draft with 6 straight non RB's going 4 WR's a TE and a QB. Then in round 7/8 I paired up Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown.I came in 2nd place that year we will see how I fair this year.

WHomever had the 12-hole, nice job. Two Top 5 WRs, a strong WR2 as your WR3 and a solid TE option. Was really wondering about your strategy and openly concerned about RB there, but Ingram was great, great value.

Did you plan on doubling up on AZ RBs (or a team's top 2 rbs) at 6/7 before the draft, or is that just how it fell? Either way I like that strategy if you let RB go. Would've liked the 1st drafter (Glenn) to do something similar with 2 NE RBs later in the draft when he took Woodward.

Solid team at 12 - nicely done. Good luck.

Well this was a most intersting draft - as expected. A lot of very successful high stakes FF veterans competing in this league. We can dissect rosters later but I thought it would be interesting to just look at the drafting approaches by position looking at the first 8 rounds

Team 1 - RB/QB/TE/WR/WR/WR/WR/RB

Team 2 - RB/RB/WR/WR/QB/RB/TE/TE

Team 3 - RB/RB/WR/TE/RB/WR/RB/WR

Team 4 - RB/WR/WR/WR/WR/RB/QB/RB

Team 5 - RB/WR/TE/RB/WR/RB/RB/RB

Team 6 - RB/TE/WR/WR/WR/RB/QB/RB

Team 7 - WR/QB/RB/WR/WR/RB/WR/TE

Team 8 - WR/RB/RB/WR/WR/QB/TE/WR

Team 9 - RB/RB/TE/RB/WR/WR/QB/RB

Team10 - WR/RB/RB/WR/RB/QB/WR/TE

Team11 - RB/RB/RB/TE/RB/WR/WR/TE

Team12 - WR/WR/WR/TE/RB/QB/RB/RB

1st round - 8 RB, 4 WR

2nd round - 6 RB, 3 WR, 2 QB, 1 TE

Lots of ways to build teams - obviously some of the drafters had a plan and others just drafted for value or players they liked.

One interesting scenario took place with the 11/12 slots where one started RB/RB/RB/TE and the other started WR/WR/WR/TE

In some cases in looking at the teams, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are at the end of the day a lot of good teams. Will post the enitre draft here if people want it. It is posted in the Shark Pool in the thread I started about the draft.

WHomever had the 12-hole, nice job. Two Top 5 WRs, a strong WR2 as your WR3 and a solid TE option. Was really wondering about your strategy and openly concerned about RB there, but Ingram was great, great value. Did you plan on doubling up on AZ RBs (or a team's top 2 rbs) at 6/7 before the draft, or is that just how it fell? Either way I like that strategy if you let RB go. Would've liked the 1st drafter (Glenn) to do something similar with 2 NE RBs later in the draft when he took Woodward.Solid team at 12 - nicely done. Good luck.
Thanks Jeff I appreciate the nice comments. I had a plan going in of going WR/WR to start for sure. The 3/4 rounds I had planned on going WR in round 3 an 1 RB in round 4 but all the RB's I had mapped out for round 4 were gone so I had to change plans and go with a TE. Rounds 5/6 I had planned on going with a RB and QB as long as 1 of the elite QB's were still there. Coming into the draft the thought of taking both Arizona RB's were on my mind at the 7/8 rounds and once I got through 6 rounds with only 1 RB I had to wait and see if any starting RB's would make it to me in round 7. None did so I had to decide between taking 2 guys who could be part time players or end up 2nd string vs taking both Arizona RB's and trying to lock down my 2nd RB spot. We will see how it works out. Tough to blow both the 7 and 8 round picks on 2 RBs from the same team but felt it was right for my strategy.

WHomever had the 12-hole, nice job. Two Top 5 WRs, a strong WR2 as your WR3 and a solid TE option. Was really wondering about your strategy and openly concerned about RB there, but Ingram was great, great value. Did you plan on doubling up on AZ RBs (or a team's top 2 rbs) at 6/7 before the draft, or is that just how it fell? Either way I like that strategy if you let RB go. Would've liked the 1st drafter (Glenn) to do something similar with 2 NE RBs later in the draft when he took Woodward.Solid team at 12 - nicely done. Good luck.
Thanks Jeff I appreciate the nice comments. I had a plan going in of going WR/WR to start for sure. The 3/4 rounds I had planned on going WR in round 3 an 1 RB in round 4 but all the RB's I had mapped out for round 4 were gone so I had to change plans and go with a TE. Rounds 5/6 I had planned on going with a RB and QB as long as 1 of the elite QB's were still there. Coming into the draft the thought of taking both Arizona RB's were on my mind at the 7/8 rounds and once I got through 6 rounds with only 1 RB I had to wait and see if any starting RB's would make it to me in round 7. None did so I had to decide between taking 2 guys who could be part time players or end up 2nd string vs taking both Arizona RB's and trying to lock down my 2nd RB spot. We will see how it works out. Tough to blow both the 7 and 8 round picks on 2 RBs from the same team but felt it was right for my strategy.
Yes, very good work there HenryI think there are several good teams and you are one of them and should have a good chance in this league

Yes, very good work there HenryI think there are several good teams and you are one of them and should have a good chance in this league
Scott and your team is one of the front runners. You did a great job. I am just hoping my team can squeak into the playoffs with the lack of RB power.

(I am reposting Lou Tranquilli's review of the draft which he posted on my thread in the Shark Pool)

Hey all, here's my review of the draft. Of course checked with DD and made very sure this was cool.

Enjou

Lou

High Stakes FPC Draft Review #4

Lou Tranquilli for BFDFANTASYfootball.com

“What I was Thinking” During this draft…

This is a real long one, I try to keep them short and sweet but I think there are so many good points to look at and review here I want to give as many to you as I can.

I jumped in this draft late, and ended up with the 11 spot again, having watched Michael Bronte put together a really high quality squad from the #11 spot in our last review of a BFD draft I was pumped to get back in the saddle and do it again from the same location.

I had a mapped out plan, reviewed the draft grid a number of times before the draft and had it open during the draft. I knew I would have to go off the mark a bit, because this was a live draft with veteran players that have won a lot of money playing fantasy football. The same old same old wouldn’t get it done, and I didn’t want to go for that either.

The league is 1PPR for RB and WR with 1.5 PPR for the TE position, making the TE a potential Flex player in this dual Flex format. Here’s the lineup requirement:

1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex (RB,WR, TE), K and D/ST

12 Team league with an 11 week regular season. The Top 4 teams make the league playoff rounds in weeks #12 and #13, the winner(s) go to the Championship Round and a chance at $75,000 overall prize. Nice.

Hopefully you’ve been reading all the draft reviews, both the local leagues and the high stakes. You can see a lot of trends forming and a lot of different player values that aren’t just ADP, but instead real players putting real money on the line and in this case trying to win $100,000 in the FPC. They are trying hard to say the least. The trend I’ve noticed so far in leagues is this, there are a group of “got to have” RBs, about 15-18 and a group of “got to have” WRs, about 12. In this format there are about 5 “got to have” TEs and two QBs that are far and away the target picks early in drafts; Vick and Rodgers.

The trend that most interests me is the WR portion, because I believe the pool of potentially outstanding WRs is now somewhere in the 25-30 range and the shallow pool of WRs is at least another 20 deep. The position has exploded in FF value and relevancy. The football is flying around the NFL like the AFL days have come back (no, not the Arena League). I wanted to test my ability to draft what I consider are outstanding RBs, a couple of the gotta have TEs and some of the “down low” WRs. I tested it, to the limit…

I will review each team in this league too after I give you my “what I was thinking” draft perspective.

Round #1

I expected two WRs, Calvin and Andre Johnson to go just before me; the rest of the group of RBs has been pretty lock step as to who is being selected. I sweated a little because there were a number of BFD subscribers ahead of me in this league, so they knew how much I wanted my first pick. They didn’t pick him, and the first WR off the board was Roddy White, a very reasonable addition to the first round IMO.

My selection was Rashard Mendenhall, easy for me because I have him ranked so high.

Others I considered: None.

Round #2

I sweated again, because although I had only two picks to wait I wanted a 2nd stud RB (you can start as many as 4 in this league). Team #12 was being drafted by a guy I know through the world of High Stakes Fantasy Football, he also knows my rankings. He lay off the RBs and selected two more WRs. 2010 BFD Breakout Player Hakeem Nicks and a serious comeback candidate in a big way Larry Fitzgerald.

My selection was again very easy. Matt Forte is the new Marshall Faulk in Mike Martz offense, I expect the Bears to let the football fly and Forte to benefit from some field stretching passes this season.

Others I considered: Mike Wallace who I really like gave me pause, but I couldn’t over starting with two stud RBs.

Round #3

Watching the WRs flow off the board after round #2 was a bit harrowing, and it caused me to change things up a bit; which I’m always ready to do if I feel it’s the best method of attack. From my 2nd round pick until it returned to my 3rd round selection there were six more WRs picked. Sending me down to my double digit ranked WRs. Here’s what I was thinking (damn?!)…Seriously. I didn’t want to chase the run, and wouldn’t. There are as I said about 25 WRs I really like as potential studs, not just good but damn good WRs for FF purposes. I wasn’t even dipping into my early teen’s pool to get one; I was going for a 4 RB lineup now. I passed on a number of very good WRs for this reason. If I’m off to a two RB start, then pick a WR why not just have selected the best WR in the 2nd round? I would just be doing a “match” draft, hoping my two RBs would beat out someone else’s two RBs and a WR combo. I don’t draft like that, so I decided to make my strength stronger.

My selection: Shonn Greene

Others I considered: Mike Williams TB was very difficult and caused a lot of comments for passing on him. I know, and it may come back to haunt me but as I said I wanted to make a strength stronger and I really like Greene. Look at it this way, team 10 had a WR (Calvin) and two RBs. Had I selected Williams we are just “pushing” each other. Hoping his combo outdoes mine or vice versa. Like I said that doesn’t work for me…

Round #4

As I said there are about 5, maybe 6 “gotta have” TEs for most drafters in this format. Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, Vernon Davis, Jason Witten and JerMichael Finley. Then there are the almost gotta have guys, Owen Daniels and Jimmy Graham. I knew neither of the last two would come back to me if I waited. There were 3 off the board already and the TE field is not quite as deep with studs as people are saying IMO. The group fades pretty quickly after the Top 6 or so. I expected one of Vernon Davis or Owen Daniels to come back to me, so I picked Greene in the 3rd.

My selection: Owen Daniels, it would have been Vernon if he made it to me, but the team #12 owner snared him (I’m leaving him some damn fine WRs and a TE).

Other players I considered: None: I did want Daniels because of what I believe he can do in Houston this season.

A note about selecting Daniels or Finley or Clark, even Gates this season. If you are picking one of them this high, you better get yourself a high quality backup TE, not a mediocre one, but a projected Top 15 guy; injuries are an issue with all of these players.

Round #5

Another long and deep WR run was disappointing to watch, and I bet it DOESN’T happen this way in most drafts. I thought for sure I would be looking at Kenny Britt, Anquan Boldin, Steve Johnson or Pierre Garcon in the 5th. None of them made it back; Even Austin Collie went earlier than I suspected he would. So I stuck to my guns and the rankings and in the 5th I picked what I consider to be a near lock of a quality RB. I debated between two guys, mine and Mark Ingram. I didn’t select Ingram for two reasons: 1-The coach DOES spread the ball around in New Orleans 2-I had gone with players I consider explosive AND pretty safe, and since I hadn’t picked a WR yet I didn’t want to add a RB with potential. I wanted a guy I considered rock solid with plenty of upside.

My selection: Marshawn Lynch got a lot of oohs and ahhs from the draft room watchers and comments from the red vs. Blue guys and their guests. Many said they would have gone with Mark Ingram of the Saints. I won’t argue, because they are right next to each other on the rankings coming out this week. I just like what the Seahawks have done and look for Lynch to be very good this season as part of a revamped offensive line and offensive line coaching staff.

Other players I considered: Mark Ingram and Sidney Rice; I gave you the Ingram why. Rice was a consideration for the next pick; but having selected Lynch I wanted a different WR….

Round #6

Now I’ll admit, I was obviously caught short on the WRs back in round # 4 and made the decision to focus my efforts on building the core strength of my team at the RB position. Like I said I didn’t want to just select at the end of a run and live with what I got. I also had the previous draft completed from the #11 spot last week and figured a number of players like Chad Ochocinco, Santana Moss or Steve Smith of Carolina would be available a few rounds later. They had gone in the 7th and 8th rounds of the previous draft and I figured they would last again with all the uncertainty in their situations. So I picked a guy I’m very high on this season who’s the counterpart to last years BFD Breakout call.

My selection: Mario Manningham who again elicited plenty of responses like “that’s a bad #1 WR and maybe that was too early”. Again, I was planning on the guys listed above to be back to me in the 7th, so I wanted a piece of the Giants passing game that I liked and considered cheap.

Other players I considered: Sidney Rice because he is a #1 for his team and he is back in an offense he’s played in the last few years. I can’t argue against anyone who thinks he would have been a better pick other than to say the Giants produce two excellent WRs now for FF purposes and I like Eli more than Tarvaris.

Round #7

I was a tad worried here, I had pushed the “wait on a WR” pretty damn far and it was looking to me like I had screwed this thing up. Danny Amendola was a surprise selection in the 7th round; I hadn’t seen that one coming so he pushed an extra WR down that I was targeting as a 7th rounder. There was also a nice QB run, which I was of course happy to see. The value the drafters got at QB was pretty strong in this draft, and I participated later in QB value. Which is example #1 of why I always wait, there were four more QBs I would have been happy with as my starter AFTER I picked my guy later.

My selection: Santana Moss; I’m no lover of the Moss man but have to acknowledge that he is in a nice situation for some FF points. The Skins re signed him for some good money and didn’t really do much to disrupt his value by adding another bigtime WR. They traded for a good #3 in Jabar Gaffney while adding a project of a rookie in Leonard Hankerson. Santana if nothing else will get the looks. This isn’t an ideal #1 and #2 in most leagues, so I won’t sugar coat it…but believe it or not I was pretty happy because I waited so long. And I was planning to take another player I think is now terribly under valued already.

Other players I considered: You’ll love this…Jonathan Stewart was KILLING me sitting in front of my face. I had the guy inside the Top 12 to start the pre season because I believed DeAngelo was gone. I couldn’t do it though, a good #1 WR on his team was the right pick.

Before I go on I wanted to comment on an earlier statement about WR values I wrote. This is where I’m seeing the values at WR, the 7th, 8th and 9th rounds with a few later WRs I like as well. The situations a lot of these players are in is confusing but also have a ton of real and tangible potential as I see them. My opinion hasn’t changed, there are #1 WRs for their teams available all over these rounds.

Round #8

Basically I have my starting lineup so whatever I want to do is mine to act on. I could have pulled the trigger on a QB but I’m not built that way and most teams had one already so I knew I could live with whoever was still around in the 10th or 11th at the QB position. I wanted a 3rd WR if I liked what was still around after team #12 picked.

I had him figured for at least one RB since the only guy on his roster was the rookie Ingram, I also suspected he would go for two RBs because I had passed on Stewart and that had to be inviting for a guy with 1 RB on his roster. He did select the two RBs, they just came from the same team in Arizona. That was a bit surprising and threw me again because there he sat again…Jonathan Stewart and my strength at RB dictated I take him and make it even stronger, had I selected one more WR earlier in the draft I probably would have picked Stewart as a #4 RB; but I just couldn’t take a 5th guy when I knew what I really wanted.

My selection: Zach Miller TE SEA. I’m pretty surprised drafters are already down on him, the Seahawks have a very solid offensive line so Zach shouldn’t be asked to block much and they didn’t pry him from Oakland with many millions to have him become a 6th offensive linemen. He’s here to catch passes and I think specifically TD passes when the Seahawks are close. The worries of Tarvaris Jackson at QB are not all that different from the worries of Jason Campbell are they?

Other players I considered: Aaron Hernandez is a player I really like a lot this season for a high catch total. There are just so many hands to fill with footballs in NE that I really couldn’t justify him over Miller as the solo TE to get passes in this offense (John Carlson ain’t seeing the ball). Steve Smith Carolina. Had I thought Hernandez would make it all the way back to me in the 8th; I would have changed the Miller pick to Smith who fits perfectly in my deep WR pool theory for this season.

Round #9

I had my pick of #1 WR talent here and I went away from my gut a bit and took a risk on a player, which I think is the right way to draft leagues. Sometimes you do have to go for a player that you may like or like the situation they are in and I did it here, I went risk over safety and may regret it later but I liked where my pick ended up for a number of reasons. The first is the current #1 WR has a serious foot problem that may take some time to get back from; the second is the situation he landed in is decent to very solid. There’s a TE in place that’s one of the “gotta have” guys and a stud RB. The QB is an issue but that’s the case for either guy I was going to pick here. I also considered two other players near locks to be waiting for me in the next round and I would reach for either of the two that made it because I like them as WRs also. I took a look at the rosters around me too and thought here was another RB run about to happen, it’s about the time in the other draft I had open when they did get selected and it happened here too, so more WRs were ultimately pushed to my 10th round pick as I hoped.

My selection: Braylon Edwards. I just liked his situation more than Steve Smith’s, a total speculation selection on Edwards but at $3.5M this season I have to believe they expect Braylon to be a #1 WR. I’ll take him as my #3, but certainly would prefer him as a #4 WR for FF purposes.

Other players I considered: Steve Smith and CJ Spiller. I already went over Smith but Spiller looked real attractive to me as a pass catching back; I just didn’t need him because I grabbed the RBs I considered truly valuable earlier in the draft.

Round #10 & #11

I wanted more #1 WRs on the roster because I was thin at the position and 10 rounds into the draft. Again I consider more guys to have excellent potential and very good starter ability right now, Robert Meacham and Louis Murphy are two guys I like more than others and each waited for me. One person in the draft room I respect commented that I went too early for Murphy, and he was right but here’s the thinking.

I missed on stud WRs, so I had no concern about ADP for a guy that I wanted to own. Murphy is a player I consider a good “get” with all the changes in Oakland, I don’t even need him right away with Moss and Manningham on the roster as the two starters for me and the two TEs Im comfortable starting. Meacham is another player I’m much higher on than most. He’s part of the Saints offense and I think they throw to him more than ever with Marques Colston hurting still.

Other players I considered: A QB, because as of round #11 I was the only team without one on their roster. That was all the reason I decided to wait to get one until the 12th round. Jay Cutler, Josh Freeman and Eli Manning were still undrafted at this point.

Rounds #12 & #13

I had waited much longer than I expected to for the selection of a QB. I always wait to get one but honestly thought I would be looking at Matt Cassel or Ryan Fitzpatrick here. Instead after reviewing the draft board I found that there was only one team that didn’t have a QB yet. Mine. Just the way I like it, this is a 12 team league and there are SO many QBs that fit the starter territory and one of my favorites (Top 8 BFD QB Eli Manning). The NFL players didn’t rank him in the Top 100 and I bet he is pissed about it…4000 yards and 27+ TDs in 2011 isn’t enough for them. It’s more than enough for me.

I know he is playing with a rookie QB, but damn I will take Jerome Simpson every single draft in the 13th round and see what happens. He is the experienced WR in Cincy, not AJ Green. Simpson flashed some serious skills and again provides me with the chance to write the WR position is DEEP this season. Its obviously a risky spot getting the #1 in Cincy with a rookie QB and a new offense; it’s worth a 13th round risk.

The Rest: Rounds #14 through #20

I wanted some upside potential from a RB and got it in Javon Ringer, I will not be letting him go until CJ2K reports and looks good. Lance Kendricks® is a TE prospect I like this late for pure upside, I can’t start him right away because this is a Josh McDaniels offense and I need to see if he’s getting used enough, I like the potential and the price tag.

Isaac Redman with the Steelers job would be really good IMO, I wanted him as a handcuff. Mewelde Moore is the #3 at this point only. Derrick Mason, WTH? He’s 100 but a 65 catch WR in the Ravens offense and a 17th round pick. I’ll need to drop someone for another QB or K/Dst in season. Fred Davis was purely related to the news Chris Cooley is limping. (Mason signed in NY, so I’ll have a decision to make on him early in the year)

Bears and Gould at D/ST and K. Simple reason, I LOVE getting a kicker that is connected with one of my RBs; it’s nearly guaranteed points inside the red zone.

Here’s my team by team breakdown of their team construction, and what I think they may need of have really nailed it on. Plenty of good drafters here to learn something from.

Team #1

Someone in the draft room said team #1 got “crushed” in this draft. I don’t agree in total but I do know what that person meant. They struggled to find value and to get a #2 RB that can really deliver points every week. I personally loved the Woodhead pick and think he will make a fine #2 assuming this owner gets what they want from Foster.

I will take this opportunity to point out what selecting that QB early on the turn did here and to team #12. That could have been Peyton Hillis on this roster with Foster. That along with even a QB like Eli to me would be much better. There is one caveat, and that’s the RB position tends to come off the waiver wire every year, this owner needs to pounce when one shows up.

Team #2

“The balanced” team, they went into this and covered all their bases in the first seven rounds. Basically they came away with a starting skill set in those seven rounds then went for some upside grabs in Torain and Helu (not a bad move IMO) along with Jacoby Ford and Deion Branch. Overall the roster is thin from the depth standpoint, I think Bye’s are an issue because of covering the basis in the first seven rounds.

Quick comment:

In my opinion the Top and Bottom of the draft are great spots this season, but we have to be very aggressive and ahead of trends instead of behind or you can clearly get caught looking to fill a flex spot, RB spot or WR position.

Team #3

I think you can look at this roster and see right away what the difference of waiting on the QB does to it. They have depth at RB with Felix Jones and Bush behind the first two picks. The WR group is three deep so the flex is handled and they added one of the “near gotta have” TEs with Jimmy Graham. Then the QB came and its one loaded with potential, if they miss on him they added a solid guy late in the draft with Kyle Orton.

Team #4

Went WR heavy which is a fine strategy for this format, you can start four of themand they have four very good guys. AD and Fred Jackson is a solid duo of RBs for yardage and TDs. I think they got a nice value in Dustin Keller but there is risk there and with Todd Heap (who I like in AZ). The 2nd RB is going to be their issue, Fred Jackson as I said is solid but he is rarely spectacular.

Team #5

Love the start with Charles and Wallace, then Witten and DeAngelo who I think peoplare are too down on (and shows why you don’t draft three RBs in arrow); yes that’s a swipe at myself…Pierre adds a big potential #2 WR. The next three RBs are the question, none are in clear positions to be dominant according to early reports. Addai tried to leave the Colts, Tolbert is a quality player but will have limited touches per his head coach and Green Ellis looks like he will share (I actually like this pick the best). Another WR would have been a good move here IMO. Big Ben was a steal and a half; he has the ability to be the highest scoring QB many weeks. Visanthe Shiancoe looks like a very solid #2 TE with McNabb at QB.

Team #6

This is another “complete the lineup” style draft and it shows in the depth at both RB and WR. They have the seven they need before they reach the 8th round, but from there they have to find depth and bye week starters in Stewart, Sproles, and Jared Cook. Any misses there and the bye’s are a killer. Ben Watson was a killer pick, I wanted to get him but I had other needs myself.

Team #7

Another early (very) QB team and I keep saying that’s tough to overcome from a depth standpoint. Vick has got to perform or the teams selecting him this high are going to struggle to maintain an advantage over their weekly opponent. I will say they managed to really steal a good FF player, that gets better every day with his backups injury woes. Peyton Hillis in the Mid 3rd was awesome for this owner after going Roddy (love the balls to take who they wanted) and then Vick. Wes Welker and Boldin then Amendola (he was a surprise, but again love them taking who they wanted for their team) make up four very good WRs. The “anti” Lou team if you will, but they did get Hillis. I like the grant pick but he is another of the steady, not spectacular RBs that won’t loseit or win it for owners. I’m not high on Gonzo, but love the CJ Spiller pick as a #3 RB with upside. I wouldn’t be shocked if this owner starts Spiller a lot.

Team #8

Just a phenomenal start with Andre and then wrapping all the way around and getting Gore, sometimes drafts fall funny and this one did for team #8 (The host show of the draft Red vs. Blue). Ahmad Bradshaw in the 3rd is not value, but a great #2 RB and with Brandon Marshall in the 4th the team basically could go any way they wanted come the 5th round to get another skill player. Stevie Johnson as the #3 WR is a great deal, and really one of the two best WR trio’s in the league (with team #12). Here’s where I usually go in a different direction…I don’t take a QB here; but in this case I can’t give a hard time to an owner who sees Manning in the 6th round. My preference (and my rankings, have Manning close to his brother; but the bottom line is he’s on an offense that will throw the football a ton and pile up FF points. Hard to argue against but I think they still needed a Flex player to fill the roster out and had to go hunting for Tim Hightower, Julio Jones and Jermaine Gresham. The Flex will be tough to fill here, unless a late round pick that I like Earl Bennett fills that 3rd WR role in Chicago.

Team #9

Check out the first seven rounds, this makes 4 teams that have filled the starting lineup requirements with their first seven selections. That’s an important “heads up” (and a reason I don’t try and draft the same teams as others).

Effectively we now have 30% of the league in a “Mexican standoff”, who will blink? It just becomes my guys selected vs. your guys selected and not a real match of team construction or willingness to go out on a limb. It really boils down to who picked a better team and that’s hard to tell before the season, no matter how good you are.

This isn’t a criticism of this team; it’s the point of doing draft reviews; to point the patterns/trends out. I did like 3 players they selected late, Bennett, Michael Crabtree and Arrelious Benn all have a lot of potential and were cheap.

Team #10

There is a lot of production to have on the Lions and this owner has most of it. Calvin, DeSean and Steve Smith are good receivers with MJD and Jahvid Best as players that can put pressure on opponents weekly.

I like that the owner selected a TE later once they took a QB and got what I consider a very good upside TE in Pettigrew who showed plenty of flashes last season. MJD and Best as a RB duo is damn good, the health issues are real and this owner did a nice job of grabbing Jennings later; bit not too much later (10th round). Knowshon as a Flex is pretty damn good, they will need Steve Smith of Carolina every week. Heath Miller as a backup TE isn’t usually my favorite, but the loss of a reliable 3rd WR makes his value increase some.

Team #11 Mine.

I think it’s pretty clear, I went RB heavy and took the risk that I could grab a few WRs that are #1s on their team. It didn’t work out as I had planned in total, but I think it’s an interesting draft and one that’s not like another team in the league. I wouldn’t usually wait this long for WRs and won’t again. One would have been good earlier, like Mike Williams of TB…but. That would have put me in the same “rhythm” drafting as the league and I was trying to be aggressive. The WRs will be the key to my team, I’ll live and die by their production. I need two who get it done. I will say that I was thrilled Eli Manning lasted until the 12th round, and I had my choice of Eli, Cutler or Josh Freeman. I’ll be waiting on QBs…Here’s a good heads up as to why I don’t usually go so concentrated o9n one position, look at all the RB values that lasted late as owners went after WRs like they weren’t going to be available after the draft. I could have gone with a couple of WRs and still come out with some fine RBs.

Team #12

Clearly he did a nice job of drafting and picking up the WRs that I left for him while going with RBs. Team #12 did the opposite of me and I love it, they took chances and went hard after a roster spot at WR and because I left value they picked it up. This owners issue will clearly be at the RB position, I said of team number one that in my opinion RB is a waiver wire pickup waiting to happen each season and this owner should be aggressive when trying to get a guy. Aaron Hernandez was really a great value for this owner so was Andre Roberts who I think helps a FF team this season.

A long review for you, but an interesting draft with some teams going the “fill the starter” roles, some going with the WR heavy and others using the RB heavy drafting. Clearly a league that doesn’t have a dominant team in it on paper.

Am I reading that right ? No back up QB picked ? If Peyton Manning sits week 1 that would be a zero in the scoring column. Knowing Peyton was hurt how do you not take a back up QB ?

Am I reading that right ? No back up QB picked ? If Peyton Manning sits week 1 that would be a zero in the scoring column. Knowing Peyton was hurt how do you not take a back up QB ?
I got the luck of the draw in playing Hook in week 1, so if Manning isn't ready to go that's a heck of a handicap.

Well remember when we drafted and then tell me how many games Peyton has missed as a pro?Since he was 13?The answer is the same goose egg we may have - in general in these drafts with a STUD QB especially one with a late bye I would rather roster some extra RB and WR who might break out - certainly may not work in this instance

Well remember when we drafted and then tell me how many games Peyton has missed as a pro?Since he was 13?The answer is the same goose egg we may have - in general in these drafts with a STUD QB especially one with a late bye I would rather roster some extra RB and WR who might break out - certainly may not work in this instance
Can't believe I'm gonna lose to you this week when you had no QB starting. I might as well pack it in for the season now.

Can't believe I'm gonna lose to you this week when you had no QB starting. I might as well pack it in for the season now.
You won thanks to Welker.My team despite not having a kicker won but I didn't have a great showing. Hernandez picked me up though.

I am surprised actually that Captain's Legacy went so low on Henne and got him I thought for sure they would go pretty high on Newton and Henne and lock both up maybe going 400 on each to make sure.

They should feel pretty fortunate to land Henne for only $115 I seen him go for much more in some of my other league.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Devery Henderson awarded to White Razors Alpha for $332.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Cam Newton awarded to White Razors Alpha for $332.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Brandon Gibson awarded to T-N-T for $303.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Scott Chandler awarded to Lost in Hilbert Space for $244.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Rex Grossman awarded to Lost in Hilbert Space for $121.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Deji Karim awarded to Glenneration X - FBG RvB for $118.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Dexter McCluster awarded to Glenneration X - FBG RvB for $118.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Chad Henne awarded to Captain's Legacy for $115.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Randall Cobb awarded to Lost in Hilbert Space for $111.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Houston Texans awarded to White Razors Alpha for $89.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Donald Jones awarded to Greenwood Invincibles for $76.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Evan Moore awarded to Greenwood Invincibles for $75.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Denarius Moore awarded to Greenwood Invincibles for $75.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Colt McCoy awarded to Captain's Legacy for $70.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Earnest Graham awarded to Lost in Hilbert Space for $55.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: David Akers awarded to Lost in Hilbert Space for $55.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Domenik Hixon awarded to Chimeras for $38.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Jerome Harrison awarded to Mile High Wonders 2 for $33.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Brian Hartline awarded to Chimeras for $25.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Antonio Brown awarded to Trunk Monkey-FBG1 for $21.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: John Kasay awarded to Chimeras for $11.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Ricky Williams awarded to T-N-T for $11.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Anthony Fasano awarded to MONEY INCORPORATED for $10.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Nate Washington awarded to Mile High Wonders 2 for $9.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Demaryius Thomas awarded to Captain's Legacy for $1.

Fri Sep 16 09:34 PM ET: Waiver wire completed.

Going $400 on each would be FA suicide. First Newton right now is only a matchup play IMO. But we actually did put in a sizeable bid - $269 on him. So I was fine if we got Henne and Grossman or McCoy (despite all being off Week 5. We were lucky compared to other leagues but we did look at all the teams likely to bid on QBs in THAT league which is all we can do.

If we just get QB2 play from that position our lineup is still one of the best in the league - we'll see

'Captain Hook said:
Going $400 on each would be FA suicide. First Newton right now is only a matchup play IMO. But we actually did put in a sizeable bid - $269 on him. So I was fine if we got Henne and Grossman or McCoy (despite all being off Week 5. We were lucky compared to other leagues but we did look at all the teams likely to bid on QBs in THAT league which is all we can do.If we just get QB2 play from that position our lineup is still one of the best in the league - we'll see
Good luck this week Perry and Scott. May our game be epic!

'Captain Hook said:
Going $400 on each would be FA suicide. First Newton right now is only a matchup play IMO. But we actually did put in a sizeable bid - $269 on him. So I was fine if we got Henne and Grossman or McCoy (despite all being off Week 5. We were lucky compared to other leagues but we did look at all the teams likely to bid on QBs in THAT league which is all we can do.If we just get QB2 play from that position our lineup is still one of the best in the league - we'll see
Good luck this week Perry and Scott. May our game be epic!
It will be a battle Henry...ETA - the Sunday portion was epic 126+ to 140+So you need Nicks to increase the 14+ lead and we need Bradshaw to overcome the lead plus whatever Nicks contributes.....

So much for my team being 1 of the favorites...I am 2-1 but the real story is I am 10th in points scored which means I am not even close to being a favorite.

Things looked so much better when Fitz and Nicks looked like studs back in August and Ingram looked like a good pick back then too he is being schooled by Sproles.

Also going River over Brady a mistake.

So much for my team being 1 of the favorites...I am 2-1 but the real story is I am 10th in points scored which means I am not even close to being a favorite.Things looked so much better when Fitz and Nicks looked like studs back in August and Ingram looked like a good pick back then too he is being schooled by Sproles.Also going River over Brady a mistake.
I'm 3-0 but should be 1-2. I have no true RB1 or RB2 or WR3 or WR4, Vick has severely underperformed, and I'm reduced to starting waiver fodder based on matchups. Moral of the story: still 8 weeks to go in the regular season and it's more likely I finish 3-8 than finish with a winning record. Don't despair :)

4-1 but huge misses taking Mike Williams over guys like Welker and anyone else at WR with my 3rd round pick.

Also I was very high on Graham this year but when this draft went off I took Davis over him a few weeks later I was taking Graham over Davis.

Rivers over Brady huge miss as well, Rivers has been very average.

Yet still 4-1

lol Glenn is killing it this week. Arian Foster, DeMarco Murray, Plaxico Burress, Aaron Rodgers all putting up big points. Even his kicker joining in on the fun. He might finish over 200 points this week!

Looks like I will finish 7-4 but that won't be good enough to make the playoffs. You go 7-4 you figure that should be good enough but not in this contest.

Looks like I will finish 7-4 but that won't be good enough to make the playoffs. You go 7-4 you figure that should be good enough but not in this contest.
Know the feeling I am going to finish 8-3 in my league and there is a real possibility that I won't make it.Should have scored more points.

For anyone wanting to jump in to this year's RED VS BLUE BROADCAST, PLAY BY PLAY LIVE COMMENTARY DRAFT, registration is NOW OPEN.

8 SPOTS REMAINING: http://leagues.myffpc.com/footballguys

FriAug 0309:00 PM ET8 of 12FootballGuys PC Red vs. Blue Public Broadcast (Aug 3 9:00 PM)

Users who are viewing this thread