What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Julius Thomas Hype Train*** (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Cecil Lammey has all but built this train himself. I'm merely going along for the ride.

Choo choo. :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the cool factor of starting a "HYPE Trayin" thread, but not everyone should get one. This guy played at Portland State...not exactly a football mecca. He's a developmental prospect and nothing more, could be good in a few years. :shrug:

Jumped on and picked him up in all my dynasty leagues a few days ago, thanks to Cecil. Guy is getting RAVE reviews, and if this isn't the year, next year should surpass the Graham/Cook hype by leaps and bounds.

Virgil Green may be the play over Thomas, so don't forget about him.

Broncos signed No. 204 overall pick TE Virgil Green to a four-year, $2.16 million contract.

One of the most physically impressive tight ends in the draft, Green was also highly productive at Nevada. He slipped to the seventh round due to a four-year old knee injury. Expected to man the "move" tight end role in Denver, Green will make a more immediate impact than fourth-rounder Julius Thomas. Jul 27, 8:36 PM

Source: Denver Post

As already said, he's definitely a project. Deep dynasty sure, other than that...not so much.

Also, Scientist, nice sig. If I have to be known for something, let it be that I am a Saints fan

I take some solace in the fact that this isn't Cecil's first rodeo and it is him that is pimping JT. Sure he is going up against the Denver D, but the moves it sounds like he is laying down aren't exclusive to bad defenders. I'd love to think I just drafted the starting TE in Denver after Virgil Green was already off the board.

Chugga Chugga Chugga Chugga...I'm onboard this train!

Virgil Green may be the play over Thomas, so don't forget about him.Broncos signed No. 204 overall pick TE Virgil Green to a four-year, $2.16 million contract.One of the most physically impressive tight ends in the draft, Green was also highly productive at Nevada. He slipped to the seventh round due to a four-year old knee injury. Expected to man the "move" tight end role in Denver, Green will make a more immediate impact than fourth-rounder Julius Thomas. Jul 27, 8:36 PMSource: Denver Post
Virgil Green wont make the roster.Just because he is getting alot of buzz isn't grounds to immediately dismiss him as fools gold. Sometimes buzz is created when someone really impresses at camp. Marques Colston comes to mind.Wasn't he a TE out of Hofstra?

Virgil Green may be the play over Thomas, so don't forget about him.Broncos signed No. 204 overall pick TE Virgil Green to a four-year, $2.16 million contract.One of the most physically impressive tight ends in the draft, Green was also highly productive at Nevada. He slipped to the seventh round due to a four-year old knee injury. Expected to man the "move" tight end role in Denver, Green will make a more immediate impact than fourth-rounder Julius Thomas. Jul 27, 8:36 PMSource: Denver Post
Virgil Green wont make the roster.Just because he is getting alot of buzz isn't grounds to immediately dismiss him as fools gold. Sometimes buzz is created when someone really impresses at camp. Marques Colston comes to mind.Wasn't he a TE out of Hofstra?
Actually Cecil Lammey is the one who created Julius Thomas bandwagon, he's riding his #### since before the draft

Virgil will make the roster. Green, Thomas, Fells, Rosario. That's your Broncos TE's for 2011. Quinn and Gronkowski will be cut.

Want to bet? Barring injury of course. Hell, if anything Thomas ends up on the practice squad.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'The Gunslinger said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Want to bet? Barring injury of course. Hell, if anything Thomas ends up on the practice squad.
:lmao:

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'The Gunslinger said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Really laughable. How often does a team PS their 4th round pick who's "running with the 1's", for the 7th rounder at the same position who isn't really doing jack in camp?

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'The Gunslinger said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Really laughable. How often does a team PS their 4th round pick who's "running with the 1's", for the 7th rounder at the same position who isn't really doing jack in camp?
:sarcasm:

Is there room for one more???????

129 overall pick Julius Thomas as a classic, in-line tight end.Thomas is more athletic than a traditional in-line tight end, having starred as a Portland State basketball player before picking up the pigskin. Still, it sounds like the Broncos want him to develop into an every-down player, and at 6'5/246 he's got plenty of "size potential" for that role. The plan is for speedy seventh-rounder Virgil Green to be a "move" tight end who creates matchup problems. Green is a situational, H-back type propect. May 1, 1:00 PMSource: Denver Post
Broncos traded up with the Packers to select Portland State TE Julius Thomas with the No. 129 overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft.The Broncos also receive Green Bay's seventh-rounder while giving up fifth- and sixth-rounders. Another highly-decorated former basketball player, Thomas is further along than Browns' pick Jordan Cameron as a pass catcher. The Broncos are reported to love his "football smarts and upside," but he's got a long way to go as a blocker and route runner. Considering Denver's depth chart, Thomas could still have a role in the passing game as a rookie. Apr 30, 1:37 PM

'Hoosier16 said:
Don't forget that he's putting on this show in preseason against the staunch Denver defense.
In the same vein...doesn't Green have the same chance? Why isn't he standing out against said "staunch Denver Defense"?

Let's jump the gun a bit here and ASSuME our #mancrush JT wins the starting TE job in Denver and also that Orton is the QB there. Does anyone want to venture some projections as far as # of receptions/yards/Td's?

Rookie TE Julius Thomas has already earned the moniker "Mr. Red Zone" from the Denver Post for his early-camp work.Camp observer Cecil Lammey of Footballguys.com tells Rotoworld that Thomas went from fourth-rounder to running with the first team to drawing double coverage in the first week of camp. Veteran Daniel Fells is listed atop the depth chart, but Thomas is coming like a freight train. He's a freakish talent, drawing comparisons to Antonio Gates as a former basketball player turned tight end.
What kind of projections for him this season??

I have acquired him in 2 of 3 dynasty leagues... Has anybody not affiliated with FBG spoken about Julius and his camp exploits?
each day on twitter there's multiple beat writers in the denver area mentioning him, usually with two letters - TD - involved. the hype is legit, the only thing he needs to work on is blocking but as a move TE he's pretty much unguardable from what i've been hearing. grabbing him where i can in dynasty.

not that it means anything, but he's currently 5th on the depth chart.
Rotoworld has him listed as #1 TE on the Broncos depth chart.
yet their commentary says Fells is the #1 TE? http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4074/daniel-fells
My wife could beat out Fells. Sam Bradford was dying for consistent targets last year and Fells was like the# 3 receiver and only had a couple hun in receiving. Don't sweat that depth chart.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/30550/julius-thomas-speedy-transition

Julius Thomas' speedy transition

By Bill Williamson

ESPN.com

ENGLEWOOD, Co. -- Two summers ago, Julius Thomas was practicing his jump shot at Portland State.

Thursday night, he was at Cowboys’ Stadium, facing Dallas’ first-team defense.

“There was DeMarcus Ware, it was crazy,” Denver’s rookie tight end said Saturday of his first NFL game experience. “I had to calm myself down … I realized it was the highest level. If I could play at that level, I can make it.”

Thomas has been one of the stories of Denver’s camp. He was a fourth-round pick despite playing just year of college football and one year of high school football. Denver dedicated the valuable pick on the raw player because of his immense athletic ability and his ability to improve quickly. So far, the pick doesn’t appear to be a wasted one.

Thomas has shined at practices, becoming a red-zone favorite of quarterback Kyle Orton. Thomas is a getting a lot of action with the first team, which is an indication the transition hasn’t been difficult for him.

“I’m just here to learning,” Thomas said. “That's what it's all about for me. I just want to learn every day.”

If Thomas continues to progress, he will have a chance to play often in the regular season. He said his time with the first-team in camp has kept him on his toes.

“I you are practicing with the (third team) and you make a mistake, well, OK, you make a mistake,” Thomas said. “But if you make a mistake with the first team team, you have Kyle Orton or Brandon Lloyd on you. They are there to practice. They don’t have time for a rookie to make a mistake … the pressure is there to improve quickly.”

The Julius Thomas story is looking a lot like the Antonio Gates rookie story. Don't wait too long to get Thomas or you will miss out.

Newspaper Clipping #1 for Rookie Gates

Newspaper Clipping #2 for Rookie Gates (2nd to last bullet in column on left titled, "Report - The News in the National Football League")

Clancy Barone is the tight ends coach for the Broncos. I would be surprised if he is not chomping at the bit (no Bronco pun intended) at trying to get his new stud (no pun intended again) TE factored into the game plan. HE coached Antonio Gates for a couple of years from 2007-2008.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Clancy-Barone/fa486afc-3fa6-4733-9c9d-a497fc0f87d9

Projecting Thomas for 2011, early on, it is going to take him time to get acclimated to the game. I think he will follow a similar trajectory as did Jimmy Graham last year and start to pay dividends in the latter half of the season.

Below are Graham's and Thomas' predraft workout numbers as reported by one of the numerous online scouting services. From a talemt perspective, they are comparable.

Thomas is not entering as prolific a pass offense as Graham did, when he finished last season with 356 yards on 31 reception to go with 5 tds. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/GrahJi00-2.php

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010TE.php

Jimmy Graham, Miami

Height: 6-6. Weight: 262.

Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

Combine 40 Time: 4.56.

Benchx225: 15. Vertical: 38. Arm: 35.

Projected Round (2010): 2-3.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011TE.php

Julius Thomas, TE, Portland State

Height: 6-5. Weight: 248.

Projected 40 Time: 4.67.

Combine 40 Time: 4.63.

Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.

Benchx225: 16. Vertical: 35.5.

Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

The endzone is where Thomas will excel in his rookie season. He uses his basketball rebounding skills to get those jump balls. At 6'5" he is a complete mismatch for defensive backs and his speed is too much for a linebacker to keep up.

Expect something like 25 receptions for 325 yards and 5 scores this year.

ETA that these projections are much lower than what the hype would seem to merit. I would be happy to adjust them up if someone could convince me that Orton and OC Mike McCoy wanted to make him a focal point in the passing game behind Lloyd. Fox is a run first coach, hence the less enthusiastic projections for this year. I hope I am wrong in terms of being very much on the low end of his production this year. Better though to temper expectations this early on in his transition. That noted, the sky is the limit as he gets game experience and reps.

Here are two links to help get better acquainted with Julius Thomas and the Broncos development of the TE position.

1. Interview with Julius Thomas where he talks about adjustment to playing TE in NFL and his reaction to getting practice reps with

first team offense. Also spoke about trying to watch Gates tape and evaluating other successful TEs. Recognizes the competition

of trying to make team as one of 6 TEs currently on roster. Lastly, asked about his blocking skills and says he is actively working on it. "Blocking is an attitude".

http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/6131539-broncos-rookie-tight-end-julius-thomas-reacts-to-shannon-sharpes-speech/

2. A write up that looks at Elway's impact on Broncos decision to draft 2 TE's and then trade for another and bring in Fells.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/elways-sharpe-success-should-soften-those-doubting-thomas/

Im on board. Im limited in my selections in this years rookie draft and Im letting the hype battle its way out between JTSuperstar and Lance Kendricks. May take both as TEs in my league get a nice bonus.

Has anybody not affiliated with FBG spoken about Julius and his camp exploits?
Not too much. One Fantasy football site w/forum has him tier 5 with a up arrow meaning potential.

If you'd told this kid when he was playing b-ball at Portland State that he would soon be inciting Jermichael Finley and Tatum Bell memes on FBG, he'd probably have thought that he had died from ball cancer and gone to heaven.

Our boy caught 4 for 70, leading the team in the ever important preseason "dress rehearsal".... where's the hype?!?!

:popcorn:

Any idea what type of value he would have for rookie draft picks? What would you buy at and what would you sell? Future 2nd round picks seem fair?

Any idea what type of value he would have for rookie draft picks? What would you buy at and what would you sell? Future 2nd round picks seem fair?
The typical JT drafter isn't going to sell at that. Chances are that if you didn't get him and aren't going to buy him for an obscene amount, you aren't going to get him. I offered a 2012 1st for him, and was declined quickly.

The typical JT drafter isn't going to sell at that. Chances are that if you didn't get him and aren't going to buy him for an obscene amount, you aren't going to get him. I offered a 2012 1st for him, and was declined quickly.
wow, that's kinda surprising unless the guy was weak at TE

Users who are viewing this thread