What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Julius Thomas Hype Train*** (2 Viewers)

Any idea what type of value he would have for rookie draft picks? What would you buy at and what would you sell? Future 2nd round picks seem fair?
The typical JT drafter isn't going to sell at that. Chances are that if you didn't get him and aren't going to buy him for an obscene amount, you aren't going to get him. I offered a 2012 1st for him, and was declined quickly.
wow, that's kinda surprising unless the guy was weak at TE
I thought it was a strong offer. I guess it's the "lotto ticket" mentality to where you either wait for it to cash in and celebrate, or throw it away when you realize it's a loser.

Any idea what type of value he would have for rookie draft picks? What would you buy at and what would you sell? Future 2nd round picks seem fair?
I think its a fair offer if the team that owns him already has a good TE, one that isn't old anyway. The 2012 1st I would take in a heartbeat unless I was totally TE barren or TE carry special value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it looks like he will back after the bye what do people think about him now, especially with Tebow under center?

Since it looks like he will back after the bye what do people think about him now, especially with Tebow under center?
I was thinking the same thing. In 3 games last year Tebow had 7 targets (4 in the last game) for TE. The TEs were Richard Quinn and D. Graham, FWIW. The way I see it is that any receiver play outside Lloyd due to Tebow is pure speculation at this point. I will say I was not overly impressed with Thomas in game one, so I would wait and see.

Time to fuel the Julius Thomas hype train back up. I think we can all agree that SOMEONE is going to emerge in the DEN passing game, whether it's Demaryius Thomas, Decker, Royal, or Julius Thomas.

Should we be picking up Julius Thomas right now?

I know in my league I'll need to make a preemptive pickup if I want him. If he has a breakout game there is no way that he'll fall to me on waivers.

Are you picking him up this week? Are you starting him this week?

Here's where I am: I was all ready to grab him this week but Shockey is available in my league and if Greg Olsen is out with a toe injury I love Shockey vs WAS. I'm just looking for a reason to go with Julius though. A raw basketball-to-football convert in an offense that needs a receiver to emerge is so tempting.

traded Battle & 4th for him and a 3rd in a dynasty league because I'm looking towards next year already due to bad luck w/ schedule started 1-5. I think this kids long term upside is ridiculous. Not sure I'd buy for redraft leagues now though. Seems like one of those guys that could be a year away. Even if he has some good games this year, he'll be inconsistent at best. Maybe he's a guy you use during bye weeks and hope for one of those big weeks

Already acquired in my Dynasty. Wondering how much time he and Tebow had being 2nd/3rd stringers during practices. Not sure if the team is all out "what the hell" and will throw him in more but I can see him receiving more snaps as the season goes on. This week I wouldn't even think about him as a FF starter.

Great athletic ability? Check

Injuries? Check

Hype? Check

Sounds like the next Jermichael Finley. I bet you could trade him for a boatload in a year.

I'm treating him like Jimmy Graham. Owned Graham in all of my leagues last year, and dropped him around week 8-10 (give or take just based on memory) when he hadn't done much. Not gonna quit on JT too early, and with injury, raw abilities and such, he'll take some time to develop. I'm expecting his breakout to come mid-season 2012 and for dynasty purposes, plan to hold him THROUGH next year and into the start of 2013 to see the results I'm expecting. Patience will likely be tested on this guy.

so he's surely to be active next week, right? If you were to sell in a dynasty league, what price would that be? I think he's worth at least a 2nd at this point, no? I know I said this earlier and I just bought in another league above, but it's tough to gauge that since Jackie Battle was moved who has a unpredictable value. Any trades involving him lately? I have a league where I'd like to use his spot for a waiver claim if I can get fair value.

He's practicing. Tebow looks awful. Great dynasty option but I'm skeptical of his prospects this year.
this is the same approach I am taking. I don't expect much at all this year. Luckily he's been under the radar in my league. I am just waiting till Pettigrew's bye is over then I am going to just pickup and hold and see what happens.

'BassNBrew said:
See John Fox's history with TEs.
Fox is a defensive guy. The Broncos will use Thomas if he's as good as I think he's going to be. Thomas is as close to a Gates reincarnation as I've seen.His natural ability shocked the staff in training camp. They thought he was a good prospect, but Thomas was a huge surprise. That said, he's still learning the game. Thomas might not emerge until 2013, but he has a chance next season.

'BassNBrew said:
See John Fox's history with TEs.
has he ever had a decent one? Seems like he's always been squeezing production out of guys like Kris Magnum, Michael Gaines, Jeff King (46 402 2 season), Dante Rosario, etc...

D.Thomas wont be under the radar, but Julius just might be with Manning coming in. Of course there's a chance Dallas Clark will be coming in, but even if that happens, does this kid have potential to be a gem in later rounds?

D.Thomas wont be under the radar, but Julius just might be with Manning coming in. Of course there's a chance Dallas Clark will be coming in, but even if that happens, does this kid have potential to be a gem in later rounds?
Totally different type of TE for what Manning runs. IMO, not a good fit. Plus Dallas Clark possibly coming in and he himself has said it takes a couple of years to learn Peyton's system/expectations. At this point in Manning's career, I don't see it.

Smart time to sell for Julius owners. As a hopeful buyer I'm going to wait until midseason when he's riding the bench. 2013 will be his year.

Totally different type of TE for what Manning runs. IMO, not a good fit. Plus Dallas Clark possibly coming in and he himself has said it takes a couple of years to learn Peyton's system/expectations. At this point in Manning's career, I don't see it.
has manning ever had a "basketball power forward" like TE before though?

i'm thinking green will get a shot before thomas. green is the better blocker by all accounts and they'll want him on the field to help with pass protection. pt means opportunity!

I don't buy into this. Yes Peyton has a complex system, but if Blair White can succeed when thrown into it, I imagine others can. Plenty of time from now until September to learn enough. John Fox has to learn the system too. I doubt they bring in Tony Dungy to run things until he gets up to speed.

has manning ever had a "basketball power forward" like TE before though?
Marcus Pollard played power forward in college. Had a 8 TD season pre-Clark.

Yeah - seems to me "can run, can catch" makes anybody a good fit in "Peyton's system", no?

As long as the mental part - reading coverage, being on the same page with option routes, etc. - isn't a problem, having a TE that's a vertical threat doesn't make him "not a good fit", in my opinion.

i'm thinking green will get a shot before thomas. green is the better blocker by all accounts and they'll want him on the field to help with pass protection. pt means opportunity!
thats another big TE, man with D thomas and Decker, this a receiving core with some serious size for manning.

Virgil Green is undersized and not a good blocker. He also is suspended for 4 games for not notifying the NFL about his ADHD meds.

Virgil Green is undersized and not a good blocker. He also is suspended for 4 games for not notifying the NFL about his ADHD meds.
i understand he wasn't a good blocker at the beginning of he season but i remember reading a few accounts how that had changed over the course of the season. i'll see if i can dig them up. certainly, he was regarded as a pass-catching target moreso than a blocker.
"After turning in one of the most impressive tight end performances in NFL Combine history, Green was billed as an impact receiver with subpar blocking ability. Instead, he's emerged as one of the team's best blocking tight ends while carving out a role on special teams. Fourth-rounder Julius Thomas has shown superior receiving skills."
The suspension hurts him, sure, but at this point who is ahead of him?

Seeing Julius Thomas offered for a mid-early 1st round pick in dynasty leagues.Beyond ridiculous.
i think people are imagining the 2nd coming of jimmy graham.
Thomas got a lot of hype around here from people that watched him practice. Said he was an extremely gifted athlete. The rap on him was he was raw. So now instead of looking at a season limited by Tebow, he's looking at a season with Manning at the helm. Seems to me its talent meeting opportunity. Obviously, he's no lock for stardom, but what would it take to acquire Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski right now vs last summer?

Seeing Julius Thomas offered for a mid-early 1st round pick in dynasty leagues.Beyond ridiculous.
i think people are imagining the 2nd coming of jimmy graham.
Wouldnt that be the third coming of Antonio Gates? :excited: I jumped on the JT train last offseason and sold him for a 2nd rounder (with Orton at the helm). Would I love to take a shot on him? Sure but with the Manning news he probably isnt worth the price. The Dallas Clark and/or Jacob Tamme rumors may soften the price. I may target Tamme if on waivers or if his owner hasnt seen them....

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20284693/after-lost-rookie-season-its-time-julius-thomas

After lost rookie year, it's time for Broncos TE Julius Thomas to step up

By Jeff Legwold The Denver Post The Denver Post

Posted:

DenverPost.com

Today's question about the Broncos comes from Kenny Loughridge in Missouri:

Q: Wasn't Julius Thomas supposed to be the next great Broncos tight end? I realize he was hurt last year, but have they already given up on him?

A: Kenny, the Broncos haven't given up on him, and they shouldn't. Much like trading Alphonso Smith just one season after they traded away a first-round pick to take him in the second round of the 2009 draft was impetuous, so would be discarding Thomas at this point.

The Broncos expended a fourth-round pick on Thomas last year and then took another tight end — Virgil Green — with one of their seventh-round picks.

Meanwhile, back in the offense, when the Broncos moved to an option-based offense because Tim Tebow was the team's starter at quarterback, the team's tight ends largely became ornamental in the passing game no matter who they were. With just 19 catches, Daniel Fells led the team's tight ends in receptions.

And all of the team's tight ends had just 13 catches combined over the Broncos' last 10 games of the regular season. So they essentially muted the position beyond a blocking role in the offense as Tebow rarely targeted them in the passing game.

That said, Thomas never bounced back from a severely sprained ankle he suffered against Cincinnati in Week 2. He played in just two of the other 14 games in the regular season and did not have a catch in those two games.

And for a player who was already behind developmentally because he had played basketball for four seasons in college before he played one year of football, the missed time showed. Already raw, Thomas never regained his footing as his recovery from the injury lingered as well.

It's especially difficult for young players to make progress fundamentally during the season as well because the practice time is devoted to specific game plans for the upcoming opponent and not getting players settled into a variety of duties in the offense or even refining their skills.

It's strictly a week-to-week affair.

Still, the Broncos have lit the proverbial fire under Thomas and Green. While the two may have felt at least a little comfortable on the roster when the Broncos broke training camp last year and the two rookies found themselves getting regular action in practice, they'll have to come in ready to go this time around to get on the field.

The Broncos expended several million dollars to sign Joel Dreessen and Jacob Tamme to multiyear deals in free agency. Both are proven veterans who know how to do the job, and Tamme has the added advantage of having already played with Peyton Manning at quarterback.

With Manning, the tight end takes on a greater importance in the offense — by a long shot. Manning has long considered a tight end who can work the middle of the field to be one of his most important matchups against a defense, and the Broncos figure to line up in a two-tight-end set, with the intention to pass out of it plenty in the coming season.

The numbers game isn't so tight at the beginning of the season because Green has to serve a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. But when he returns to the team, the Broncos will have the two veterans they signed in free agency to go with two of their own draft picks.

They could keep four tight ends at that point, but it's a tight squeeze on the roster when most teams like to keep those extra roster spots for the defensive and offensive lines.

In the end, they still like Thomas' potential, but now it's up to him to battle his way into the lineup. There will be plenty of passes to go around with Manning behind center, but to get a chance at some of those, Thomas is going to have keep himself on the field and show that he's learned the new playbook.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Rotoworld:

DenverBroncos.com's Gray Caldwell calls this offseason "probably as important" for TE Julius Thomas as anyone on the roster.
Thomas, a 2011 fourth-round pick out of Portland State, drew early comparisons to Jimmy Graham, but he's dealt with injuries and only appeared in nine games. He has just one career catch for five yards. Thomas will compete for a roster spot, but we wouldn't expect major contributions this season. He's still just 24 years old, so he could be worth rostering in dynasty.

Source: denverbroncos.com

Honestly, if you're a fan of the concept of urgency, Thomas isn't a bad roster stash right now. He has done absolutely nothing his first two years, but it's not uncommon for a TE to take a little bit to transition. Denver has kept him around on the 53-man roster despite getting zero contributions from him, which is a pretty good indicator that they like him. He had the lockout in 2011, and he put off his surgery too long in 2012, so this offseason will be the first time he gets to participate in training camps.

Honestly, the most likely outcome might be that Thomas gets cut and never plays another NFL down, but in that case, at least we'll know pretty soon- your roster spot will get freed up in a hurry. If he makes Denver's 53-man roster again, though, it means the coaching staff really, really likes him.

Excited to see this development in this story... It's a curious case... Raw athlete shines as a rookie in the offseason... Finally gets to start and promptly gets injured on his first catch and is not heard from again that season... Enter Manning and an urgency to win now with vets like Tamme and dreesen plus injuries are still holding him back... Now enter yr 3 healthy and confident and enter opportunity to add something to this offense that the others at the position can't quite offer and blam that's the story!

Maybe he does nothing when it counts or maybe he is Jimmy graham from his rookie season who flashed and late in the season started to really put it together... Either way I will be watching this closely

Excited to see this development in this story... It's a curious case... Raw athlete shines as a rookie in the offseason... Finally gets to start and promptly gets injured on his first catch and is not heard from again that season... Enter Manning and an urgency to win now with vets like Tamme and dreesen plus injuries are still holding him back... Now enter yr 3 healthy and confident and enter opportunity to add something to this offense that the others at the position can't quite offer and blam that's the story!Maybe he does nothing when it counts or maybe he is Jimmy graham from his rookie season who flashed and late in the season started to really put it together... Either way I will be watching this closely
whoa whoa now... Did he actually get a start? I see it listed that way at PFR... but I remember him being behind Fells on the depth chart and that not ever changing officially.

Excited to see this development in this story... It's a curious case... Raw athlete shines as a rookie in the offseason... Finally gets to start and promptly gets injured on his first catch and is not heard from again that season... Enter Manning and an urgency to win now with vets like Tamme and dreesen plus injuries are still holding him back... Now enter yr 3 healthy and confident and enter opportunity to add something to this offense that the others at the position can't quite offer and blam that's the story!Maybe he does nothing when it counts or maybe he is Jimmy graham from his rookie season who flashed and late in the season started to really put it together... Either way I will be watching this closely
whoa whoa now... Did he actually get a start? I see it listed that way at PFR... but I remember him being behind Fells on the depth chart and that not ever changing officially.
They started 2 TE's in his first game.

Some talk Denver might keep an extra TE this year, which would make Thomas a lock for the final roster. Either way, they really seem to like Thomas, as evidenced by the fact that they've continued to carry him over the past two years and keep giving him chances to show something.

Users who are viewing this thread