What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: Lance Kendricks (1 Viewer)

Hoss_Cartwright

Footballguy
Second-round TE Lance Kendricks is off to a "star-of-camp" start in Rams training camp, according to SI.com's Don Banks.

Kendricks will take plenty of buzz into the preseason schedule, as he stood out in player-organized workouts as well. Banks predicts the field-stretching former Wisconsin star will be a "weapon" for new play-caller Josh McDaniels right off the bat. Other rookies with strong early-camp buzz: Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Denarius Moore, Jarvis Jenkins, Akeem Ayers, Mark Ingram, Aldon Smith, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Kerley, and Tandon Doss

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you don't care about my team but just to show my confidence in Kendricks, I own him in 7 of 9 dynasty leagues and I still have one more draft.

He'll probably be good... an will probably make an impact right from the jump like all those rookie TE's last year. But the asking price is a lot higher. He's the first or 2nd TE off the board in every rookie draft I've seen. (will prob be a bargain in redrafts though unless he tears tears it up in the preseason)

He'll probably be good... an will probably make an impact right from the jump like all those rookie TE's last year. But the asking price is a lot higher. He's the first or 2nd TE off the board in every rookie draft I've seen. (will prob be a bargain in redrafts though unless he tears tears it up in the preseason)
I really like him as a weapon for Bradford. Lord knows he needs some.

I know you don't care about my team but just to show my confidence in Kendricks, I own him in 7 of 9 dynasty leagues and I still have one more draft.
Well, you were pimping Jared Cook when he wasn't a trendy pick and that now is looking a lot better than it did at the time - so you may be on to something here too.

I like both players, but Kendricks doesn't have Thomas' raw upside. Thomas is off the charts. Kendricks is a good prospect, but he's not as fluid as Thomas.

One thing Kendricks does have going for him is a better situation, but when Thomas gets some experience & fulfills his potential, he'll force the Broncos to make him a focal point of their offense. Again, I like both players a lot. Right now, I look at it like Kendricks is in a better situation & Thomas has the upside. All things considered, Kyle Rudolph is still my #1 rookie TE at this point, though.

'Football Jones said:
I like both players, but Kendricks doesn't have Thomas' raw upside. Thomas is off the charts. Kendricks is a good prospect, but he's not as fluid as Thomas.One thing Kendricks does have going for him is a better situation, but when Thomas gets some experience & fulfills his potential, he'll force the Broncos to make him a focal point of their offense. Again, I like both players a lot. Right now, I look at it like Kendricks is in a better situation & Thomas has the upside. All things considered, Kyle Rudolph is still my #1 rookie TE at this point, though.
Sorry, I just don't see that Thomas has any more upside than Kendricks. Also, Rudolph will be a good all around TE for the NFL, I just don't think he will amount to much as a fantasy TE.

'Football Jones said:
I like both players, but Kendricks doesn't have Thomas' raw upside. Thomas is off the charts. Kendricks is a good prospect, but he's not as fluid as Thomas.One thing Kendricks does have going for him is a better situation, but when Thomas gets some experience & fulfills his potential, he'll force the Broncos to make him a focal point of their offense. Again, I like both players a lot. Right now, I look at it like Kendricks is in a better situation & Thomas has the upside. All things considered, Kyle Rudolph is still my #1 rookie TE at this point, though.
Sorry, I just don't see that Thomas has any more upside than Kendricks. Also, Rudolph will be a good all around TE for the NFL, I just don't think he will amount to much as a fantasy TE.
Guys like Rudolph get kind of a bad rap at times. The trend is to go for the big WR types, but TEs like Jason Witten can dominate because of their feel for the game (as well as their size). That said, Kyle Rudolph is a very good athlete & is HUGE. He was an outstanding basketball prospect. He reminds me of Witten only faster & more athletic. He also reminds me a lot of Rob Gronkowski, but again, he's more athletic. I believe the Vikes have big plans for Rudolph. In short, I'm sky-high on this kid.As far as Thomas, he's just got so much dang natural ability. Imagine when this dude gets some more experience. It's absolutely amazing to think he's played one year of football since 9th grade & that was with Portland State last season. Definitely someone to keep your eye on.

I do not get the love for Kenrdicks. TE has pretty much been an after thought in McDaniel's offensive approach. Not quite as bad as Martz, but damn close. And we all know how Martz impacted Olsen's value.

The Rams TE situation is an avoid for me until I see evidence of McDaniel's changing his approach.

Seems McD targetted the kid early and often. So much for him not using the TE. I know its preseason, but theguy had more targets than any other receiver.

I do not get the love for Kenrdicks. TE has pretty much been an after thought in McDaniel's offensive approach. Not quite as bad as Martz, but damn close. And we all know how Martz impacted Olsen's value.The Rams TE situation is an avoid for me until I see evidence of McDaniel's changing his approach.
I keep reading this about McDaniels, but it seems like the Pats have been drafting TE every single year for a long time. Seems they tried to get it worked in, but just never found the right matches. Before they had Moss they didn't throw the deep ball very much either. I think McDaniels is creative enough to tailor the offense to his players.

think of how many WR/RBs rams passed on to get kendricks (little, cobb, hankerson, leshoure (DOH!), thomas, vereen)... i think it is becoming increasingly evident they saw he could be an X-factor and mismatch weapon, and prioritized him on the basis of his ability to elevate the entire offense... at the time, it was a pretty controversial pick for a lot of rams fans, but i think once they actually see how he will be used and help the offense, they will be very thankful devaney/spags/mcdaniels (who reportedly had more input on this pick than later ones of pettis and salas) had the vision to see how he would fit, and the conviction to pull the trigger on him.

mcdaniels/rams reportedly thought kendricks had top 3 hands in the class... not just among TEs, but WR included (green graded very highly, obviously)

historically, the rams haven't seemed to have great TEs... even predating martz... can't remember the last time they had a TE weapon with this much potential...

bradford's favorite receiving weapon at oklahoma (at least for part of his tenure) was gresham, so bradford and kendricks could form an instant chemistry.

also, while not a devastating blocker, he had to at least be functional at run first school like wisconsin... blocking is a lot attitude, and he sounds feisty... competence in this department will allow him to see the field early and often...

I do not get the love for Kenrdicks. TE has pretty much been an after thought in McDaniel's offensive approach. Not quite as bad as Martz, but damn close. And we all know how Martz impacted Olsen's value.The Rams TE situation is an avoid for me until I see evidence of McDaniel's changing his approach.
Don't fall into the trap of comparing McDaniels to Martz. Martz has his own way of doing things and is proven to ignore the TE. McDaniels, on the otherhand, didn't have the talent in Denver at TE for you to make that judgement. Further, he saw how effective BB was at utilizing the hybrid TE last year (Hernandez).This kid is looking better by the day. Was a late, late round flyer b4 tonight. Now that the cat is out of the bag, bump the ADP up a round or two.

If Ponder was QB in Minnesota, I would say Rudolph would stand an outside chance to be a sneaky PPR TE, but with McNabb, i doubt until next year. From Kendricks Highlights, it seems like he absolutely flies when he gets going. Does anyone else see immense YAC potential for Kendricks or is it just me?

... From Kendricks Highlights, it seems like he absolutely flies when he gets going. Does anyone else see immense YAC potential for Kendricks or is it just me?
good point... he was formerly a WR, got bigger and blew up into TE size, but seems to have retained the movement skills of a smaller player...he will be a handful for LBs to cover... if he forces safety coverage, that will be a size mismatch, and bradford is very accurate.

Kendriks also stayed in for the 2nd team offense which implies he has things to work on and the coaching staff wanted him out there. He already had multiple lays called for him with the 1st team so this raises a small light yellow flag.

Kendriks also stayed in for the 2nd team offense which implies he has things to work on and the coaching staff wanted him out there. He already had multiple lays called for him with the 1st team so this raises a small light yellow flag.
Not sure what you're implying about the "flag", but I view it as an encougaging thing. Obviously the coaching staff wants him involved and to have him getting "extra" play bodes well IMO.

Not sure what you're implying about the "flag", but I view it as an encougaging thing. Obviously the coaching staff wants him involved and to have him getting "extra" play bodes well IMO.
To be clear I said its a small light yellow flag, its not a big deal but something to notice.I'd have to watch to see what they had him doing if they had him in a lot of blocking scenarios that could imply that he is deficient there to some degree. If so that could keep him off the field (ala Hernandez in NE) at times this year.

Nothing more than a note.

Don't fall into the trap of comparing McDaniels to Martz. Martz has his own way of doing things and is proven to ignore the TE. McDaniels, on the otherhand, didn't have the talent in Denver at TE for you to make that judgement. Further, he saw how effective BB was at utilizing the hybrid TE last year (Hernandez).This kid is looking better by the day. Was a late, late round flyer b4 tonight. Now that the cat is out of the bag, bump the ADP up a round or two.
Granted you may have a point. On the other hand, it is hard to ignore history. Can you point to a team where McDaniel was OC or HC where the TE was a featured receiver? The love for Kendrick could prove valid but McDaniel's history is hard to ignore.

Granted you may have a point. On the other hand, it is hard to ignore history. Can you point to a team where McDaniel was OC or HC where the TE was a featured receiver? The love for Kendrick could prove valid but McDaniel's history is hard to ignore.
I was under the impression that Mcdaniels had said some point this off season he was gonna be using Humanamnui (SP?) and Kendricks exactly as the Pats used Gronkowski and Hernandez (implying that they will share the field very often). Thats what Ive been hearing all off season at least.

I hear you.....but.....We cant, because previous iterations involving McDaniels as OC or HC dont provide us w/comparables. He didnt have a quality TE in Denver. He didnt need to utilize the TE as much in New England w/BB as they had Welker and Moss. Would you envision McDaniels underutilizing Vernon Davis the way Martz did in SF?McDaniels, being the BB student. The NFL being a copycat league (Gronk/Hernandz LY). STL not having the best stable of WR's to run what McDaniels wants to do w/Bradford. Now, I dont want to go overboard in expectations for Kendricks....but given the current situation, I could easily see 55-60 recpts for about 600+ and maybe 4-5 TD's this year. Not upper echelon, but cleary servicable ++ as a backup or as a flex option in a deeper roster league. Especially at current cost.

Unlike a lot of people, I actually think Kendricks is in a good situation. How can you not like Bradford as your QB? I typically don't let past history of a HC or OC sway me on whether a player is in a good situation. It's all about the team as a whole. Coaches aren't dumb (well, most of them aren't, LOL). They'll typically use a good player if they got one.

I still prefer Rudolph & Thomas as pure talents, but as we all know, situation can trump talent. That said, I like Rudolph/Thomas/Kendricks in that order for longterm FF success.

IIRC the Rams moved UP to get Kendricks. They wanted to mimic the Pats TE strategy. I've had him squarely on my radar as a TE2/3 so far this season. He kind of reminded me of Dallas Clark last night, good moves in the open field and strong RAC potential.

There appear to be two sides here. The side that thinks Kendricks can be another Antonio Gates and the side that thinks he'll be forced into a blocking role ala Greg Olsen in Chicago. Clearly the kid was drafted earlier on and he has skills, is anyone denying that? He was likely the first or second rookie TE off your rookie/draft board. He could be very good coming in with an accurate Bradford and a sloppy mess at WR in St. Louis. It wouldn't surprise me to see him put up 800 yards and 8 TD's at all. As for Julius Thomas......we would likely not have cost you a 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th or 6th round rookie pick earlier on. Thomas needs to develop more but looks every bit the athelete Kendricks is. There is room for both as starters in the NFL.

He didn't look like a rookie out there. If you get a chance watch the tape. The guy ran good routes and settled into openings in the zone and then had good fundamentals making the catch. I'm not sure if McDaniels will snub him or not but right now he looks like the best TE of the class.

Kendricks was drafted in round 3 (28th pick overall) in our 12 team PPR dynasty rookie draft held on May 15th. Rudolph went at #25.

On August 12th, Kendricks was traded straight up for Seattle TE Zach Miller.

Julius Thomas was picked up as a free agent from the waiver wire on August 2nd.

I've been to three Rams' practices now and have watched him quite a bit. They use him all over the field in a variety of sets. I don't know if he will be like Antonio Gates like some are saying, but I think he is going to get a lot of looks in this offense as evidenced by last night's game. We had our rookie draft last night and he went with the first pick in the second round. I thought that was a little early, but I was targeting him later in the second round. As for redraft I think he would be a good 2nd tight end later in the draft.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Kendricks was drafted in round 3 (28th pick overall) in our 12 team PPR dynasty rookie draft held on May 15th. Rudolph went at #25.

Huh? Thomas was selected 129th overall.
He's referring to his FF league, not to the NFL.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:

Huh? Thomas was selected 129th overall.
He's referring to his FF league, not to the NFL.
I realized that now. I was lazy in reading his post.

I hear you.....but.....We cant, because previous iterations involving McDaniels as OC or HC dont provide us w/comparables. He didnt have a quality TE in Denver. He didnt need to utilize the TE as much in New England w/BB as they had Welker and Moss. Would you envision McDaniels underutilizing Vernon Davis the way Martz did in SF?McDaniels, being the BB student. The NFL being a copycat league (Gronk/Hernandz LY). STL not having the best stable of WR's to run what McDaniels wants to do w/Bradford. Now, I dont want to go overboard in expectations for Kendricks....but given the current situation, I could easily see 55-60 recpts for about 600+ and maybe 4-5 TD's this year. Not upper echelon, but cleary servicable ++ as a backup or as a flex option in a deeper roster league. Especially at current cost.
Very god point about McDaniels during the Moss/Welker years. Remember he was the OC in pre-Moss/Welker years when Watson was one of the better receivers on the roster and McD did not utilize him. Then as HC McD shipped out Scheffler, his best receiving TE. This is the part of McDaniels history that is hard for me to ignore.I have been impressed by what I have seen from Kendricks highlights, and I am on board with your expectations. But I will not be driving the bus. ;)

... From Kendricks Highlights, it seems like he absolutely flies when he gets going. Does anyone else see immense YAC potential for Kendricks or is it just me?
good point... he was formerly a WR, got bigger and blew up into TE size, but seems to have retained the movement skills of a smaller player...he will be a handful for LBs to cover... if he forces safety coverage, that will be a size mismatch, and bradford is very accurate.
He actually went to Wisconsin as a linebacker Prospect and they switched him to Tight end after they saw how much he bulked up. Just like Beckum, Kendricks is another reliable pass-catching option prospect out of wisconsin, id say they have about the same skills, Kendricks has more athleticism. I think what all this comes down to for tight ends is who has the quarterback, My money is on Bradford. My other money is that Kendricks is going to be a main target for him. Lets do the math:Bradford=stud Bradford+kendricks+a lot of passing in the offense = stud numbers for Kendricks

Did not really know much about him but was watching and he looks like he will be a big part of the offense. Guys like this are what will make me stay away from the top TE's and draft other guys and grab a Kendricks, Jared Cook or Olsen in the last few rounds. Last year I grabbed Finley in the 4th and even when he was playing I regretted not waiting to grab a Merceded Lewis etc later on.

I would still take Kendricks over Thomas, but if I was stacked at TE, then I go with Thomas. I think Kendricks will be a good player. Low end #1 high end #2 TE production. But I think if Thomas hits he has top 5 potential. But he is also a very risky pick as the top TE overall, due to his high bust potential. At this point my TE rankings look like this:

Kendricks>>>Thomas>>>>>>>>Rudolph>Cameron

That was not a small yellow flag for Kendricks, it was a big one for Illini Mike (Halloummsoidleled). The Rams are actually very thin at TE right now due to injuried. I doubt Kendricks would've been out there with the second team had Illini Mike been healthy. Playing with the second team is not an indictment of what Kendricks has to work on...

Did not really know much about him but was watching and he looks like he will be a big part of the offense. Guys like this are what will make me stay away from the top TE's and draft other guys and grab a Kendricks, Jared Cook or Olsen in the last few rounds. Last year I grabbed Finley in the 4th and even when he was playing I regretted not waiting to grab a Merceded Lewis etc later on.
You really thought that Marcedes was going to have the year he did last year? The trouble with waiting is that you have to guess right, which is not easy/

Wisconsin even used him in end arounds some...he is built like a bigger WR and has some decent speed.

I would still take Kendricks over Thomas, but if I was stacked at TE, then I go with Thomas. I think Kendricks will be a good player. Low end #1 high end #2 TE production. But I think if Thomas hits he has top 5 potential. But he is also a very risky pick as the top TE overall, due to his high bust potential. At this point my TE rankings look like this:Kendricks>>>Thomas>>>>>>>>Rudolph>Cameron
:goodposting: Kendricks is more like a Dallas Clark ceiling whereas Thomas has Gates potential

He actually went to Wisconsin as a linebacker Prospect and they switched him to Tight end after they saw how much he bulked up. Just like Beckum, Kendricks is another reliable pass-catching option prospect out of wisconsin, id say they have about the same skills, Kendricks has more athleticism. I think what all this comes down to for tight ends is who has the quarterback, My money is on Bradford. My other money is that Kendricks is going to be a main target for him. Lets do the math:Bradford=stud Bradford+kendricks+a lot of passing in the offense = stud numbers for Kendricks
Beckum came to UW as highly coveted LB. He went to the coaches and asked to be moved so he could get on the field, UW was loaded at LB and he was not getting on the field.Kendricks was recruited to play WR and had an offer from Miami, FL. Landing Kendricks was huge for the Badgers as he was friends with Clay. Kendricks was a big WR coming in as a freshman and it was talked about early that he might move to TE due to his athletic ability. Former Badger Owen Daniels came in as QB only to leave and become a Pro Bowl TE.Henkdricks will be good backup TE this year. McDaniel will use him to create match up problems that he can win.Threat of Jackson running will be key to Hendricks he is great at running short routes across the middle behind LBs.

He actually went to Wisconsin as a linebacker Prospect and they switched him to Tight end after they saw how much he bulked up. Just like Beckum, Kendricks is another reliable pass-catching option prospect out of wisconsin, id say they have about the same skills, Kendricks has more athleticism. I think what all this comes down to for tight ends is who has the quarterback, My money is on Bradford. My other money is that Kendricks is going to be a main target for him. Lets do the math:Bradford=stud

Bradford+kendricks+a lot of passing in the offense = stud numbers for Kendricks
Beckum came to UW as highly coveted LB. He went to the coaches and asked to be moved so he could get on the field, UW was loaded at LB and he was not getting on the field.Kendricks was recruited to play WR and had an offer from Miami, FL. Landing Kendricks was huge for the Badgers as he was friends with Clay. Kendricks was a big WR coming in as a freshman and it was talked about early that he might move to TE due to his athletic ability. Former Badger Owen Daniels came in as QB only to leave and become a Pro Bowl TE.

Henkdricks will be good backup TE this year. McDaniel will use him to create match up problems that he can win.Threat of Jackson running will be key to Hendricks he is great at running short routes across the middle behind LBs.
What makes you think he will be a backup? It's not like he has world beaters in front of him.

Users who are viewing this thread