What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: Lance Kendricks (1 Viewer)

I watched a lot of the game. The drops were bad, no doubt. But they will throw the ball, and a fair amount. The TE usually does well in this offense. With Amendola out, he'll likely get a lot of those over-the-middle looks. He did most his damage (of what there was) after the injury.

As a late round flyer, I'm going to hold for now. He won't be playing one of the best defenses in the NFL every week. I'll give it a bit before cutting bait. its really just too early to tell.

I watched a lot of the game. The drops were bad, no doubt. But they will throw the ball, and a fair amount. The TE usually does well in this offense. With Amendola out, he'll likely get a lot of those over-the-middle looks. He did most his damage (of what there was) after the injury. As a late round flyer, I'm going to hold for now. He won't be playing one of the best defenses in the NFL every week. I'll give it a bit before cutting bait. its really just too early to tell.
I didn't watch the game, was it "drops" or "drop"? I know he dropped a sure TD pass, but wasn't that his only target besides the completion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a lot of the game. The drops were bad, no doubt. But they will throw the ball, and a fair amount. The TE usually does well in this offense. With Amendola out, he'll likely get a lot of those over-the-middle looks. He did most his damage (of what there was) after the injury. As a late round flyer, I'm going to hold for now. He won't be playing one of the best defenses in the NFL every week. I'll give it a bit before cutting bait. its really just too early to tell.
I didn't watch the game, was it "drops" or "drop"? I know he dropped a sure TD pass, but wasn't that his only target besides the completion?
I think he dropped his first 2 targets but caught the rest of them.

Like I wrote earlier, he dropped his first target when he got hit pretty hard. You'd like to have seen him hang on to the ball regardless. I think there was a penalty on the Rams on that play which negated it anyway.He's got all the tools as far as I can see, he just needs to concentrate on catching the ball. They should have given him more opportunities yesterday, as most of the other Rams receivers were dropping the ball too.

He only had one reception for 18 yards, right? Does anyone know how many drops he actually had?

He only had one reception for 18 yards, right? Does anyone know how many drops he actually had?
He had two drops. They were both bad IMO. But the other Rams WR dropped a ton of balls too. I think the Rams collectively had 10 dropped balls yesterday. Kendricks, Gibson, Danny, MSW - all of them.

First drop was negated by a penalty anyway, if that matters. Second drop he looked like he started running before he secured the ball, had a good chance to score and seemed feel it.

"A lot of guys started to drop balls," said former Ram and current NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk. "I called their games in preseason, I didn't see Lance Kendricks drop a ball, and I watched him drop a couple of balls in that game. I'm going to say that they were just excited."

Actually, in the preseason opener against Indianapolis, Kendricks dropped two passes. Faulk, however, didn't work that game because of a prior commitment. Otherwise, Kendricks was just short of stellar in exhibition play, leading the Rams in catches (11), reception yards (155) and touchdown catches (three).

Against Philadelphia, Kendricks dropped a pass on third-and-8 at the St. Louis 47 that would've been good for 10 yards and a first down. He got hit from behind on the play, a route over the middle. The Rams got a first down anyway because Eagles defensive end Jason Babin was penalized five yards for illegal use of hands.

In the second quarter with the Eagles leading 14-7, the Rams were driving. On second-and-10 from the Philadelphia 31, Kendricks lined up in the right slot, and crossed to his left over the middle undetected by anyone on the Eagles defense. He was wide open at the Philly 13 and probably would've scored, but dropped the football. Eagles safety Kurt Coleman was the only defender with even a remote chance of preventing a score, and he was down near the goal line when Kendricks dropped the pass.

"As soon as it touched my hands I kind of looked away instead of looking it in and kind of going with it," Kendricks said. "That's something I wish I could do over; you kind of learn from your mistakes.''
Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/article_0a015e2b-9c95-55f3-ae0e-8e095995626c.html#ixzz1YEt4cD5G

Just looked it up and you're right. I thought he had more than that, but obviously not. He did have 2 drops, his first 2 targets, CBS says he had 5 total targets.
Technically he only had one drop that counted as such.
To be even more technical, watching the game, the first drop looked like a catch and fumble to me.

You know, I hate when people blow things out of proportion. The way Bloom and some other guys were tweeting about this game really convinced me that this guy had 3-4 clean drops and I almost benched Kendricks this week. But after watching the game, it was clear the entire team was dropping the ball A LOT. So when the announcer mentioned the drops in dramatic fashion, Kendricks name came up first. I saw a few drops from Gibson and Kendricks and 1 from Salas. I'm sure there was more, but the game wasn't as bad as it was reported.

1st Target: This is the one that kind of looked like a fumble but wasn't. He was facing the LOS and caught the ball with a defender bearing down on him from the right. He spun to his left and clearly wasn't expecting another defender to be there. The LB/DB that he turned into put his shoulder into the ball as soon as Kendricks spun around. Definitely should have been a catch but it was a very well timed and well placed hit, I'd rather give credit to the D instead of assigning blame to Kendricks. It was ruled incomplete as he didn't hold the ball long enough.

2nd Target: This was the really bad one that made the others seem worse than they really were. It probably could have been a 31 Yard TD. Crossing route with two defenders trailing him and one defender slightly in front of him who might have had a chance to hit him after he caught it. Pretty sure the combo of the endzone being so close, rookie jitters, and Kendricks trying to see if the defender was close enough to hit him caused him to lose concentration. As far as I'm concerned, this was the only legit drop he had, but b/c it could have been a TD it negatively magnifies the other plays.

3rd Target: 6 or 7 yard out that was undercut by the LB. Bradford just threw it in his direction but it was an obvious throwaway, not sure if it registered as a target or not.

4th Target: This is the supposed "Easy 6 yard TD drop" that was exagerated on Twitter. It was a playaction fake where Kendricks had to hold his block to sell the PA. He might have held the block a little too long, but either way he was wide open after he released his block. Bradford IMO did a bad job of anticipating Kendricks's break. Kendricks had his head turned around to Bradford for a full second before Bradford finally delivered it. Gave the LB an opportunity to jump in between Kendricks and the ball. Definitely not a drop and if the defender played the ball better it could have been a pick 6. Every tweet I read was calling this an easy TD drop.

5th Target: Similiar to the 4th play but it was more set up like a screen. This time Kendricks caught it and had a couple blockers in front of him. He showed his speed, turning a short screen into 18 yards.

6th Target: I believe Bradford was out for this play and it was a pretty low throw that Kendricks got his hands on last second. Seemed like a strange route to me b/c Sims-Walker and his defender were right in the same area. Kendricks didn't seem to expect the ball, not sure why though. Other than the 31 yard TD drop, this was probably the 2nd most legit drop even though it was very low. It was just a 5 or 6 yard out. Maybe he was getting lazy b/c the game was out of reach and Bradford was out. The score was 31-13 with less than 4 mins left when he dropped it and the crowd was out of the game.

Overall Impression: Definitely not a great game, but the type of routes he was running and the speed he showed clearly means when this guy catches the ball they're going to be for long gains. He played a lot of snaps and IMO he's Bradford's #1 target (w/ Amendola out that is). Gibson's drops as a whole were much worse IMO (although Kendricks 31 yard TD drop was the worst drop of the entire game).

I love these forums. Usually the hype threads work out and allows me to get guys before they blow up. This hype thread was an epic fail.

I love these forums. Usually the hype threads work out and allows me to get guys before they blow up. This hype thread was an epic fail.
Yep, he's a failure so go ahead and drop him in your dynasty league ;) You people crack me up sometimes. Microwave society at work ladies and gentlemen. Those of you jumping off the Kendricks train this early should NOT be playing in dynasty leagues. You obviously have the redraft mentality.

Yep, he's a failure so go ahead and drop him in your dynasty league ;) You people crack me up sometimes. Microwave society at work ladies and gentlemen. Those of you jumping off the Kendricks train this early should NOT be playing in dynasty leagues. You obviously have the redraft mentality.
I have no doubt he will be a top 10 TE in the NFL at some point and will probably have a game or 2 with more than one TD this season. In redraft, there are too many options out there that will produce more consistently.

Couldn't agree more with Hoss Cartwright here. Microwave society, indeed.Yeah, man, epic fail. Looking back at this thread you said you were starting Kendricks over Gronk. If you thought Kendricks would be a Top 5 TE in two games than you really need to take a step back and ask yourself if that's a reasonable expectation. Two friggin games, and you're saying epic fail. So why did you jump on the bandwagon? Were you blindly following what others were doing without asking yourself who this player was?

I have no doubt he will be a top 10 TE in the NFL at some point and will probably have a game or 2 with more than one TD this season. In redraft, there are too many options out there that will produce more consistently.
I have no problem dropping him in redraft leagues, especially in shallow ones. I only play dynasty and I only think dynasty. That was the premise of this thread initially, not redraft.

Hoss,

Then someone should label it dynasty in the thread title. Not everyone is going to sift thru 6 pages of Lance Kendricks material to get caught up.

How many Kendricks threads do we really need and keep in mind they just played tonight so people are going to post about him, they just saw him play. I understand your frustration in wanting to keep it pure but freaking out over it doesn't help.

Hoss,Then someone should label it dynasty in the thread title. Not everyone is going to sift thru 6 pages of Lance Kendricks material to get caught up.How many Kendricks threads do we really need and keep in mind they just played tonight so people are going to post about him, they just saw him play. I understand your frustration in wanting to keep it pure but freaking out over it doesn't help.
I would think the comparison with Julius Thomas in the title would have been a clue. Also, "freaking out" is a little dramatic, but even more dramatic would be anyone that drops him in a dynasty league.

You know, I hate when people blow things out of proportion. The way Bloom and some other guys were tweeting about this game really convinced me that this guy had 3-4 clean drops and I almost benched Kendricks this week. But after watching the game, it was clear the entire team was dropping the ball A LOT. So when the announcer mentioned the drops in dramatic fashion, Kendricks name came up first. I saw a few drops from Gibson and Kendricks and 1 from Salas. I'm sure there was more, but the game wasn't as bad as it was reported. 1st Target: This is the one that kind of looked like a fumble but wasn't. He was facing the LOS and caught the ball with a defender bearing down on him from the right. He spun to his left and clearly wasn't expecting another defender to be there. The LB/DB that he turned into put his shoulder into the ball as soon as Kendricks spun around. Definitely should have been a catch but it was a very well timed and well placed hit, I'd rather give credit to the D instead of assigning blame to Kendricks. It was ruled incomplete as he didn't hold the ball long enough.2nd Target: This was the really bad one that made the others seem worse than they really were. It probably could have been a 31 Yard TD. Crossing route with two defenders trailing him and one defender slightly in front of him who might have had a chance to hit him after he caught it. Pretty sure the combo of the endzone being so close, rookie jitters, and Kendricks trying to see if the defender was close enough to hit him caused him to lose concentration. As far as I'm concerned, this was the only legit drop he had, but b/c it could have been a TD it negatively magnifies the other plays.3rd Target: 6 or 7 yard out that was undercut by the LB. Bradford just threw it in his direction but it was an obvious throwaway, not sure if it registered as a target or not.4th Target: This is the supposed "Easy 6 yard TD drop" that was exagerated on Twitter. It was a playaction fake where Kendricks had to hold his block to sell the PA. He might have held the block a little too long, but either way he was wide open after he released his block. Bradford IMO did a bad job of anticipating Kendricks's break. Kendricks had his head turned around to Bradford for a full second before Bradford finally delivered it. Gave the LB an opportunity to jump in between Kendricks and the ball. Definitely not a drop and if the defender played the ball better it could have been a pick 6. Every tweet I read was calling this an easy TD drop.5th Target: Similiar to the 4th play but it was more set up like a screen. This time Kendricks caught it and had a couple blockers in front of him. He showed his speed, turning a short screen into 18 yards.6th Target: I believe Bradford was out for this play and it was a pretty low throw that Kendricks got his hands on last second. Seemed like a strange route to me b/c Sims-Walker and his defender were right in the same area. Kendricks didn't seem to expect the ball, not sure why though. Other than the 31 yard TD drop, this was probably the 2nd most legit drop even though it was very low. It was just a 5 or 6 yard out. Maybe he was getting lazy b/c the game was out of reach and Bradford was out. The score was 31-13 with less than 4 mins left when he dropped it and the crowd was out of the game.Overall Impression: Definitely not a great game, but the type of routes he was running and the speed he showed clearly means when this guy catches the ball they're going to be for long gains. He played a lot of snaps and IMO he's Bradford's #1 target (w/ Amendola out that is). Gibson's drops as a whole were much worse IMO (although Kendricks 31 yard TD drop was the worst drop of the entire game).
:goodposting: Thanks for this!

Sorry, I was talking redraft. I missed DYNASTY in the thread title. My bad

Couldn't agree more with Hoss Cartwright here. Microwave society, indeed.

Yeah, man, epic fail. Looking back at this thread you said you were starting Kendricks over Gronk. If you thought Kendricks would be a Top 5 TE in two games than you really need to take a step back and ask yourself if that's a reasonable expectation. Two friggin games, and you're saying epic fail. So why did you jump on the bandwagon? Were you blindly following what others were doing without asking yourself who this player was?
Yes I was. I even said so in my post that you replied to. I took the advice of these forums and jumped on the bandwagon.

Dynasty wasn't in the title until I edited it last night at the advice of others, but who compares a rookie TE with another rookie TE in a redraft league?

Dynasty wasn't in the title until I edited it last night at the advice of others, but who compares a rookie TE with another rookie TE in a redraft league?
read the last two pages. It certainly took on a redraft direction more than a dynasty direction.

Everyone please apologize. It's not fair to the OP that we cannot read his mind.

read the last two pages. It certainly took on a redraft direction more than a dynasty direction.
That's too bad because obviously that wasn't the intent when you're talking about two rookie TEs.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
That's too bad because obviously that wasn't the intent when you're talking about two rookie TEs.
Not obviously. The last 5 pages dont seem to think this was a dynasty thread. If it was your intent from the beginning it was only obvious to you

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
Not obviously. The last 5 pages dont seem to think this was a dynasty thread. If it was your intent from the beginning it was only obvious to you
So you think we're talking about redraft when talking about long term value of two rookie TEs before the season starts? I guess it's really not that important. Who in the hell plays redraft anyway? :)

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
You are fighting a losing battle my friend.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
So you think we're talking about redraft when talking about long term value of two rookie TEs before the season starts? I guess it's really not that important. Who in the hell plays redraft anyway? :)
I think Thomas was mentioned only twice in entire thread (now 3 times lol).

Can we take the redraft/dynasty arguments out of here. I don't think we can split the pool into two pools by type of league, so we need to live and play well together in the shark pool...

It matters when you are talking about dropping a player. I suppose we can take away from this that drops are for retract only and drop the subject.

Meh, Kedricks had more fantasy points Antonio Gates Vernon Davis this week. I look at TEs about the way I do kickers. Outside of the Top 2-3 that are the top targets in their offense, their production is mostly random and unpredictable. I'm sticking with my Kendricks/Jermaine Gresham duo for another week, and saving my top waiver spot for a backup RB when a front line starter goes down.

Meh, Kedricks had more fantasy points Antonio Gates Vernon Davis this week. I look at TEs about the way I do kickers. Outside of the Top 2-3 that are the top targets in their offense, their production is mostly random and unpredictable. I'm sticking with my Kendricks/Jermaine Gresham duo for another week, and saving my top waiver spot for a backup RB when a front line starter goes down.
Smart thinking.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
:bs:

point was more to not cut bait on a guy like gronk/graham etc just because of a hype train around here. I actually like the kid. But guys in here are throwing out 70/700/10 as if it's a likely possibility.
It is a real possibility. Maybe not 10 TDs, but 7 wouldn't be a stretch.
This is from the other Lance Kendricks bandwagon thread. Seems odd that someone you have a long view on, is someone you have already stated could produce TE 1 #'s unless you also though this was possible this year and thus were also thinking from a 'redraft mentality'.

And second of all following a year where not one but two rookie TE's performed as top 6TE's from week to week I think the 'who thinks of rookie TE's in redraft' shtick is a little passe.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'shadyridr said:
:bs:

point was more to not cut bait on a guy like gronk/graham etc just because of a hype train around here. I actually like the kid. But guys in here are throwing out 70/700/10 as if it's a likely possibility.
It is a real possibility. Maybe not 10 TDs, but 7 wouldn't be a stretch.
This is from the other Lance Kendricks bandwagon thread. Seems odd that someone you have a long view on, is someone you have already stated could produce TE 1 #'s unless you also though this was possible this year and thus were also thinking from a 'redraft mentality'.

And second of all following a year where not one but two rookie TE's performed as top 6TE's from week to week I think the 'who thinks of rookie TE's in redraft' shtick is a little passe.
The other Kendricks thread was the hype thread and more about redraft. I thought we moved past this?

Users who are viewing this thread