What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denarius Moore - CIncinnatti Bengals (1 Viewer)

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy
Theres been a lot of buzz in camp hovering around University of Tennessee rookie Denarius Moore. Nine practices in, and its apparent this guy is special. Hes not had a single day without a string of superlatives describing his receiving ability. At this point, barring injury, theres no way he isnt a starter, and I think he takes DHB starting spot from him. With the departure of Zach Miller, expect the WRs to be more involved and this Denarius cat is going to produce, especially when Jacoby Ford gets back in the fold. Theres some great competition going on between Chaz Schilens, Louis Murphy, Moore, and Ford. I am definitely on the bandwagon. :drive:

Moore is fantasy relevant now. Go out and get him while hes still cheap.

Heres a recent blog entry by Raiders beat writer, Steve Corkran. Its really a pretty typical blog entry, and the story of Denarius Moore killin it in camp writes itself a new chapter every day. Dont sleep on Moore.

Denarius Moore, folks. Learn the name, commit it to memory and keep an eye on the rookie whenever hes on the field.

On Thursday, for the second straight day, Moore stole the show during practice with his acrobatic catches and big-play ability. At this rate, people are going to forget about Darrius Heyward-Bey missing so much practice time.

Im not going to keep using the word you guys write I keep using all the time, Jackson said. Im gonna have to come up with another one. I dont want to say the W word (Wow!). So, what Im going to say is, oh, boy! The young man can make some plays, cant he?

Oh, my gosh, is he something? Hes fun to watch. Every day theres something. A ball goes up, he comes down with it and makes a play. He has tremendous talent. The game is not too big for him. He has that factor of making plays. Theres no fear in the young man. Im glad hes on our team.

Moore delivered the most memorable play of camp so far when he leaped for a high pass in the back of the end zone and snared the ball above cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke and safety Stevie Brown, while having the composure to get his feet down before he stepped out of bounds. Touchdown.

Moore didnt have to worry about running back to the huddle. The huddle ran to him near the 10-yard line, with players hooting and hollering and congratulating him on his spectacular catch.

Yes, sir, just another day, another catch, another play, Moore said in his aw-shucks manner.

Yeah, right. This wasnt Ronald Curry spectacular from that Monday night game against the Denver Broncos in 2004. But it was close.

It was overwhelming for a rookie to make a play like that and then get supported by the whole team, Moore said. The support and the love I was getting, I was real happy from it.

Naturally, Moore was just getting warmed up. A short while later, Moore did an out-and-up that left cornerback Sterling Moore flat-footed, out of position and out of luck, as Moore sprinted into the open for a long touchdown reception from Jason Campbell.

I swear, if (Denarius Moore) runs one more out-and-up, double move or corner-and-up, Im (going to ) kill someone!!! Sterling Moore Tweeted after practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. By far the story of Raiders camp across all the beat writer accounts. Love Hue Jackson's enthusiasm.

We go through this every year don't we? Every season members of the media hype up one player that Was taken late in the hopes that he comes out of nowhere and performs in the mold of Marques Colston (7th rnd pick). Havent we learned by now not to latch onto these players? Does the name Victor Cruz mean anything to you? Denarius Moore has next to no chance of being fantasy relevant if he was on a good passing team, so what makes you think that he'll be relevant on a bad fantasy team? Come on. These media members are always on the lookout for the next greatest thing so they can say that they were the first to report about it. Don't fall into the trap! Denarius Moore is not draftable in any redraft league. You're better off just forgetting he exists.

[quote name='Sigmund Bloom' timestamp='1312719330' post=Love Hue Jackson's enthusiasm.

Come on Siggy, you love coach speak?

:fishy:
We go through this every year don't we? Every season members of the media hype up one player that Was taken late in the hopes that he comes out of nowhere and performs in the mold of Marques Colston (7th rnd pick). Havent we learned by now not to latch onto these players? Does the name Victor Cruz mean anything to you? Denarius Moore has next to no chance of being fantasy relevant if he was on a good passing team, so what makes you think that he'll be relevant on a bad fantasy team? Come on. These media members are always on the lookout for the next greatest thing so they can say that they were the first to report about it. Don't fall into the trap! Denarius Moore is not draftable in any redraft league. You're better off just forgetting he exists.

Who do you suggest we draft in the last round of our drafts instead? Also, it doesn't quite make sense to suggest that Oakland's beat writers are unanimously reporting on Moore torching Oakland camp to "be the first" to report on it, since they are all doing it. We also have a head coach demonstrably getting excited about him on a daily basis. Victor Cruz was blocked by Nicks, Smith, and Manningham. Moore is blocked by, well, no one. The comparison doesn't apply. Colston compare is better because the Saints had big openings at WR. OAK isn't nearly the passing team the Saints were in 06, but that doesn't mean that they can't support one or even two fantasy WRs because the #1 passing target from the last few years just went to Seattle.

I love it when it comes with play on the field to back it up. Also, I just like positivity in all of its forms.
Practice? Practice? He's backing it up on the field in practice? Mike Martz said last year that he loved Greg Olsen and was going to find a way to use talents. Olsen did nothing last year and then he was traded. Coaches are positive because they have to be. Moore may be a good story, but the chances of his success (especially in this, his rookie year) is almost zero.

last yr the media hyped rookie wr that was picked late was mike williams. does the name mike williams mean anything to you

Cruz could still turn out to be good, not to mention he had 3 very good WRs in front of him last year (Nicks, Manningham, Smith). Who does D-Mo have in front of him?

Honestly, I had my doubts about a 5th round WR being a relevant roster addition. From the tape I saw on him at Tennessee, it was obvious he had great hands, but he seemed to beat SEC corners by just a half step. I was thinking he'd struggle against Pro level speed CB's. I was wrong. I am eating crow, (can I have another plate please?)

I was hesitant to start a thread on Moore, mostly because I had been skeptical, but after 9 straight practices when every beat writer and Raider follower talks about Moore as the star of the day, Yes, 9 straight sessions! That's pretty hard to ignore. This isn't a conspiracy to hype a personal favorite. The reviews are unanimous. Moore’s been a dominant playmaker consistently, and with DHB sitting out with a mystery injury, and Zach Miller gone, the opportunity is there for Moore.

When there is this much positive buzz about a rookie wide receiver, I tend to take notice. Moore is clearly the talk of Raiders' camp. I haven't had a chance to watch him play, but he's someone I would target now in dynasty leagues. As Sig says, there is really nothing blocking him from seizing a starting position.

Here's a recent tweet by beat writer Jerry McDonald that gives a taste of the everyday talk around Moore.

Jerry McDonaldBLTN Raiders practice notes: Either sad news or good news: DMoore has made more plays in a week than DHB in 3 yrs in training camp.

last yr the media hyped rookie wr that was picked late was mike williams. does the name mike williams mean anything to you
I dunno about that comparison -- Williams was thought of by almost all as a 1st round talent who dropped to the 4th because of off the field issues. Everyone KNEW the guy had stud potential. Moore wasn't nearly as highly regarded, which actually makes the media attention more interesting IMO. That said, I'm paying attention to Moore for sure. I had thought Louis Murphy was the play but I'm beginning to wonder.

Who do you suggest we draft in the last round of our drafts instead?
Terence Toliver

not sure I understand the comparison between Victor and this guy. Cruz was injured and got placed on IR because of a numbers game. By the end of the season, the Giants were wishing they didn't do that after injuries decimated their WR group.

Glad I grabbed Moore in one league. He's not cheap any more...

When was the football season starting again? Refresh my memory. Also, are there openings in any FF league you are in? Moore found the #6 WR spot on FavreCo's dynasty team yesterday.

I love it when it comes with play on the field to back it up. Also, I just like positivity in all of its forms.
Practice? Practice? He's backing it up on the field in practice? Mike Martz said last year that he loved Greg Olsen and was going to find a way to use talents. Olsen did nothing last year and then he was traded. Coaches are positive because they have to be. Moore may be a good story, but the chances of his success (especially in this, his rookie year) is almost zero.
Mike Martz? You are quoting Mike Martz. :lmao: Mike Martz said that JT O'sullivan could become the best QB he has ever coached.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/12/04/mark-martz-loves-his-49ers-players-thinks-theyre-the-greatest/

You are quoting an idiot.

Part of the fun of the game is hitting on a sleeper, mostly because they are all long shots. You can pick some predictable "what you see is what you get" guy. I'll shoot for some upside. I have a couple roster spots just for that purpose. I remember someone drafting Eddie Royal as a rookie. The entire league was surprised by the pick but Royal went on to have a legit rookie season. I drafted Mike Williams in the first round of a rookie draft last year. As a high profile prospect, he may not be a good comparison to Moore but his team is... many people slept on the Bucs last year because they hadn't been fantasy relevant in some time. It seems crazy today but the Saints fantasy guys were once summarily dismissed as well.You can play it safe and ignore all sleepers. That is certainly a viable approach in redraft where the risk/reward ratio may not make sense. But, in deep keeper formats, you have to be ahead of the curve or you will miss out. So, who do I spend that late round flyer on? Talent and opportunity are major factors. I may hold these guys for a long time so, the greater the talent, the less important the opportunity. In a phrase, the cream rises to the top. In other cases, I consider opportunity heavily. I've been waiting for a dependable WR to emerge from the silver and black. I'm not a DHB fan and I suspect Chaz Schilens doesn't really exist (never have I heard so much discussion about a player I never see on the field). Jacoby Ford turned some heads last year and I really like Louis Murphy as a football player (heart/effort/etc). This group may not be the void I considered it a couple seasons ago but there is some opportunity for a player to emerge. I'll keep my eyes open on Moore. Glad to have him on the radar.

I loved D Moore early on, and I was comfortable that he was highly looked at in Waldmans rookie revue. I was able to draft him in round 5 and in round 6 of two different rookie/FA drafts the last couple of weeks. He was still under rader up until these reports are coming out. I imagine he will start goining much earlier now.

Who do you suggest we draft in the last round of our drafts instead? Also, it doesn't quite make sense to suggest that Oakland's beat writers are unanimously reporting on Moore torching Oakland camp to "be the first" to report on it, since they are all doing it. We also have a head coach demonstrably getting excited about him on a daily basis. Victor Cruz was blocked by Nicks, Smith, and Manningham. Moore is blocked by, well, no one. The comparison doesn't apply. Colston compare is better because the Saints had big openings at WR. OAK isn't nearly the passing team the Saints were in 06, but that doesn't mean that they can't support one or even two fantasy WRs because the #1 passing target from the last few years just went to Seattle.
Cautious skepticism with rookies is always warranted, but so is keeping your eyes open! Bloom is right: your last few picks are a toss of the dice anyway so why not spend it on a guy with lots of upside? And there isn't any competition for him. Plus, while his QB isn't great, he isn't a WR killer. With Miller gone, someone on that team is going to catch 60-70 receptions--who is it going to be? Could be this kid.

I watched Moore all through college and he really started to come on the second half of last year. This thing about Moore is that he just seems to always get open and he rarely drops a good pass. I think the comparison of Mike Williams is a little off, but I think he is closer to a Steve Smith (NY) or Mike Wallace. Not an imposing wr but just a really good one. It's not like he is from Fort Valley State (no disrespect) either, he played at UT and and went up against some of the best corners in the SEC every week. The only thing that is concerning is that he plays for the Raiders. However, Campbell can throw the ball and I think the offense took strides with Hue last year.

thanks dude, this is the type of guy/info I look out for this time of year

love me some shark pool this time of the year :thumbup:

I grabbed him on every single one of my dynasty teams. I think he is this years Mike Williams.
Without the 1st round grade. :rolleyes: The comparisons to Mike Williams are laughable.
What grade did Donald Driver have? Rod Smith? Brandon Marshall? There are lots of guys without a "first round grade" that go on to have great careers. I haven't found anything to confirm Mike Williams himself even received a first round grade from the draft advisory committee.

I grabbed him on every single one of my dynasty teams. I think he is this years Mike Williams.
Without the 1st round grade. :rolleyes: The comparisons to Mike Williams are laughable.
OK. You have an axe to grind. We get it. Nearly none of us has seen this kid play, and many less have seen him agains NFL competition. Those that have seen him play against NFL competition (multiple beat writers, his coaches, fellow teammates) have not been able to stop talking about him. Literally, EVERY DAY there are more than one gushing report regarding Moore and he's not only beating UDFA rooks either but CBs and safeties that have started in the NFL.I understand tempering enthusiasm for a rookie WR, and I imagine that you're arguing about redraft value while most of us pimping him are dynasty/keeper guys. That said, what do you expect from Oakland's #1 WR this year? 70/975/6? OK, not earth shattering. Solid #3 FFB WR or stellar #4. Some people play in leagues that start up to 4 WRs and many of those are dynasty leagues where now is the time to grab him if it's not too late already (I picked him up two days ago in all 3 of my leagues). Now, is this the year Chaz Schilens stays healthy and gets that 70+ catches? Is it Jacoby Ford? Is it Louis Murphy? I don't know who comes out ahead of these 4. In fact, all I'm willing to bank on is that the one to get the 70+ is NOT DHB, but Moore is the easiest of the 4 to acquire and IMO (and MANY others) he has just as much chance as the other 3 to make a big splash. Get on board or don't. I don't care, but the haterade is leaking out of your cup.

Yea I agree pretty stupid to say that the media is just hyping him up. The media latches on to guys that have already done something and all they are saying Gridiron is that the kid looks special, can make circus catches and is a super athlete. Take it for what its worth but the Raider's don't exactly have a bunch of great wrs and Campbell is improving so Yes this Kid bears watching, I wouldn't say forget about him all together esp in deep dynasty ppr leagues. I think this guy could be a starter opposite Ford , schillinz- until hurt and even take DHB job.

Cruz could still turn out to be good, not to mention he had 3 very good WRs in front of him last year (Nicks, Manningham, Smith). Who does D-Mo have in front of him?
Maybe Jacoby Ford, but after that its a toss up. I do really Love Fords game as I think he can be a faster Steve Smith. The kid is incredible.

Honestly, I had my doubts about a 5th round WR being a relevant roster addition. From the tape I saw on him at Tennessee, it was obvious he had great hands, but he seemed to beat SEC corners by just a half step. I was thinking he'd struggle against Pro level speed CB's. I was wrong.
Hasn't he only been going against Raiders DBs so far? ;) Let's see how impressive he is against actual opposing Pro level CBs. And not against CBs fighting to make rosters on special teams in the preseason games... against first stringers.

I think Moore may possibly be a good dynasty stash, but I seriously doubt he'll have fantasy value this year.

Some people play in leagues that start up to 4 WRs and many of those are dynasty leagues where now is the time to grab him if it's not too late already (I picked him up two days ago in all 3 of my leagues). Now, is this the year Chaz Schilens stays healthy and gets that 70+ catches? Is it Jacoby Ford? Is it Louis Murphy? I don't know who comes out ahead of these 4. In fact, all I'm willing to bank on is that the one to get the 70+ is NOT DHB, but Moore is the easiest of the 4 to acquire and IMO (and MANY others) he has just as much chance as the other 3 to make a big splash.
I think it's much more likely Schilens emerges with near term (this year and next few years overall) than Moore. Schilens has already proven he has the talent, he just hasn't stayed healthy... ergo, if he can stay healthy, he is capable of being the top target for the Raiders. We don't know any such thing about Moore at this point.And I agree that Moore should be easier to obtain than Ford and Murphy, but I don't think he is necessarily easier to get than Schilens. I picked Schilens up off the waiver wire in one of my dynasty leagues yesterday.

Honestly, I had my doubts about a 5th round WR being a relevant roster addition. From the tape I saw on him at Tennessee, it was obvious he had great hands, but he seemed to beat SEC corners by just a half step. I was thinking he'd struggle against Pro level speed CB's. I was wrong.
Hasn't he only been going against Raiders DBs so far?
The Raiders had 3 CB's in the overall top 10 in terms of percentage of defended passes successfully. We lost Nnamdi, but Chris Johnson and Stanford Routt are still on the team. I hope you aren't alluding to some misconception that Raiders CB's aren't NFL quality. Because, if you did, you'd just be wrong. :)

The Raiders had 3 CB's in the overall top 10 in terms of percentage of defended passes successfully. We lost Nnamdi, but Chris Johnson and Stanford Routt are still on the team. I hope you aren't alluding to some misconception that Raiders CB's aren't NFL quality. Because, if you did, you'd just be wrong. :)
As I said, let's see how he does against opposing 1st string DBs.

As I said, let's see how he does against opposing 1st string DBs.
:thumbup: :popcorn:

Moore is reported to have excellent deep ball receiving skills with the ability to track the ball over either shoulder. Hard for rookie WRs to start but there is opportunity to play in Oakland. I'd say his role will be at least as a consistent deep threat who will be given several opportunities each game.

Combined with Ford's deep explosiveness there should lots of room for McFadden to run and for the TE underneath. Oakland was a very productive offense last year and Campbell's numbers should be improved with another year's experience in it.

Moore against Arizona thursday night prediction: 7 rec - 102 yards - 1 TD.

With Ford, DHB and Murphy out, the rookie makes the most of his first opportunity.

This is the process.

You look for guys that are having a good camp, keep an eye on them, and maybe take a late-round flier on them, hoping for a steal.

Jerry McDonald and Steve Corkran, the guys that are most on the scene on this one, are pretty fair when it comes to the Raiders. They call a spade a spade, for the most part.

As to the tin-foil hat suggestion that the media is choosing some guy to build up, it sure is amazing how they all manage to sync their Twitter accounts to Tweet the exact same glowing observations at the exact same time. How do they do that? Are we in the Matrix??

It's at the point now where you can't mention a guy having a good camp without the next freaking post saying he's overrated. This is a fantasy football message board, there are a lot of dynasty guys on here, and this is the kind of info people come here to read. Not everyone has time to read every beat writer for every team.

Redraft? I dunno. Raiders passing game won't be potent, and I would temper expectations. Dynasty? Well, if I was doing a rookie draft, I wouldn't let him get out of the early 3rd at this point, and a month ago, I assume his ADP was a lot lower.

Certainly no need to get angry about this.

So is Moore good news or bad news for Jacoby Ford owners?
I would say Neither... Ford is clearly a stud in the making and proved that down the stretch last 9 games. Murphy is inconsistent, DHB clearly sucks and Schillinz has played like 4 games in 2 years... come on man he is glass. I think Ford/Moore will be 1,2 by midseason at the latest.

I would say Neither... Ford is clearly a stud in the making and proved that down the stretch last 9 games. Murphy is inconsistent, DHB clearly sucks and Schillinz has played like 4 games in 2 years... come on man he is glass. I think Ford/Moore will be 1,2 by midseason at the latest.
I guess my question was more like when Ford is healthy, does Moore play opposite Ford or do they play the same recv position and Ford would start opposite Murphy/ Schillens with Moore as competition?

Took him in the 5th round of my Dynasty rookie draft about 7 weeks ago! Thank you Waldman for the info! Also traded Kenny Britt(sick of his crap) for Randall Cobb and Bernard Scott. Have Cobb and Moore now till 2015. :banned:

:goodposting: That's how I see it as well. Ford is set and I think with DHB and Schilinz issues, Moore is it by mid-season. Worth a flyer on a late round pick just for upside.

Took him in the 5th round of my Dynasty rookie draft about 7 weeks ago! Thank you Waldman for the info! Also traded Kenny Britt(sick of his crap) for Randall Cobb and Bernard Scott. Have Cobb and Moore now till 2015. :banned:
Bad trade. I'd rather have Britt and all of his 'crap'. Typical rookie WR hype. Both Cobb and Moore. Cobb has nowhere to play and Moore will be an afterthought in due time. You just traded a young proven veteran for 2 longshot rookies and a HB that can't get on the field. Moore will be dropped well ahead of his 2015 contract.

Suddenly, the Raiders seem to be building a respectable WR corp and it'll get even better when they ship DHB's you know what down the road... :P

I guess my question was more like when Ford is healthy, does Moore play opposite Ford or do they play the same recv position and Ford would start opposite Murphy/ Schillens with Moore as competition?
The answer is a healthy Ford helps Moore. Ford is the slot guy with Moore taking either the X or Y role. Schilens, Murphy and Moore will vie for these 2 spots, with DHB hopefully riding the pine or cut.

Users who are viewing this thread