What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Father & Son league, anyone interested? (1 Viewer)

fiddystorms

Footballguy
Is anyone interested in starting a free father and son league? I have an 8 yr old boy who is just starting to show interest in football and FF as well. I thought it would be cool if there were a few other fathers interested in starting a free basic scoring type of a league for the purpose of teaching our little guys how it all works. I'm completely open to suggestions and I hope to hear that there is some interest out there. Anyone?

update: 8/14/13 - if anyone else is interested please see this post

here's where we're at: All 12 teams are confirmed & the league is locked in. no further entries at this point.

1) FWmaker & Son confirmed

2) Papa Georgio & Son confirmed

3) SKbateman & Daughter confirmed

4) Fiddystorms & Son confirmed

5) Firecrackerfreakshow & Son confirmed

6) tradersunlim confirmed

7) godgers12 confirmed (10yr old)

8) godgers12 confirmed (9yr old)

9) TheEdge confirmed

10) ThaDude confirmed

11) Lash confirmed (10 yr old)

12) Lash confirmed (6 yr old)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone interested in starting a free father and son league? I have an 8 yr old boy who is just starting to show interest in football and FF as well. I thought it would be cool if there were a few other fathers interested in starting a free basic scoring type of a league for the purpose of teaching our little guys how it all works. I'm completely open to suggestions and I hope to hear that there is some interest out there. Anyone?
Great idea man! My 10 year old just went back to my exwife's, and won't be back with us until mid-September. I wish you'd thought of this earlier. :cry:

Great idea man! My 10 year old just went back to my exwife's, and won't be back with us until mid-September. I wish you'd thought of this earlier. :cry:
Great, all of my great ideas are a day late and a dollar short! If you can get him/her back for a few hours, let me know.

'skbatmen said:
Father and 11 year old daughter? If you put it together, email Doug at skbatmen@aol.com
great. I think this would work well, now i just wish i had started it a little sooner. I'll keep trying to get at least 8 and I'll be in touch shortly.

Check out youthfantasyfootball.com - for young folks.
Pretty cool site, I like the concept. That might be worth a try, depending on how limited they want parents to stay in helping out. I noticed the age groups are 10 - 14... my son is 8 and not a very mature 8 at that. It's going to take quite a bit more hand holding than that I believe. Left alone, it might come down to who has the coolest helmet and that would be a best case scenario!

youthfantasyfootball.com
Thank you TC has had those leagues going for a long time, but I don't think there is any father son leagues. It is strictly for youth. I checked them out last year when my son asked me about joining a league with me. Am I wrong and missed something there?

you are right. I almost forgot the purpose of why I started this thread! I have the same problem still actually. My son who is 10 still needs all the hand holding he can get. I'm in. we have plenty of time to get 10 - 12 of us and set up a league on yahoo or espn etc. etc. I'm open to suggestions. lets get it rolling.

So - status as of 7/24/13

Team:

2) Papa Georgio & Son

3) SKbateman & Daughter

5) Firecrackerfreakshow & Son

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

HMK Rich also showed interest - trying to contact him.

If we don't get 10-12 teams, we can have a Parent team and a Child team (doubling the # of teams). I'd just be wary of trading between parent/child.

Thoughts?

On second thought, it would probably be more fun for everyone if the Parent had a team and a child had a team. This way the Parent/Child could be a slugfest!

You can confirm me as well. I still think we will have enough for 10 or 12 teams. I'm OK with the idea of splitting the league, it would be a little less fun I think in a lot of ways. Kind of like playing a couple hands of poker while teaching someone else how to play, everyone plays with their hand showing.

If it is the best way to teach em, then so be it, but I still think the interest is there & the idea is solid.

I am fine with any set up. I don't think the trades will be that big of a deal. My son is very excited and keeps asking me if this is going to happen.

I don't think trading will be an issue either. I would imagine that in a league where we're trying to teach our kids how to play FF, we would also want to teach them appropriately as well as the life lessons; i.e. don't cheat.

I think for the time being, we are in a little holding pattern. Usually around this time, people start thinking about FF and their draft. We should have 10 - 12 teams before we know it.

I say we

1. nail down a site to use (ESPN, NFL, Yahoo etc.)
  2. determine a format (PPR, Flex, redraft...)
  3. work out the rules (waivers, blind bids, IR)
that will help keep the topic front and center and will help fill up the spots fairly quickly as more people start coming back to the forums as we get closer to the season.

Whatever we do, we should proceed with the thought in mind that its to help teach the kids about the sport, the hobby & to have fun etc. etc., so I think we should try to leave it as generic as possible to simplify things so we won't need a commissioner as well (unless someone wants to volunteer).

I'm in I have a 10 and 9 year old actually that would love to play if possible. If you want to keep it to one kid than the 10 year old. chadmills81@gmail.com

So how does this work exactly? Fathers and sons have the same team, with the emphasis on the children running the team with support from the parents?

I think that's open for discussion. I think it would be fine either way. working as a "team" where a father is really the instrumental part pulling all the strings or if a child is really motivated and wants to run the show and the father takes a back seat, that should be encouraged also. we should keep it loose I think, mindful of the fact that kids are involved and there's no need to "go for the jugular" if your child is not in the drivers seat.

technically, there is a league where kids can play other kids. I know my boy is not going to manage his team past the draft without my direct involvement. I think the concept here is more of a parent/child team based design... hopefully. But like I said, if your child really wants to take the reigns, by all means, why not let him/her.

I am fine with any scoring format and rules. I asked my son and he said he kinda likes the thought of having his own team and going against me. We will have fun however it happens.

Hi - I'm very interested in getting myself and my 9 year old son signed up. Some initial thoughts:

- For site, I'm fine with ESPN, NFL or Yahoo!....I'd prefer these as they all have live scoring and a pretty user-friendly interface

- For format,

- Redraft for sure...let's see how well the league works...if it does, let's consider expanding to a keeper or even dynasty type format

- Simple starters (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, Maybe a flex, 1 DST, 1 K...for yaer one, no IDP...either an 18 or 20 player roster)

- PPR or non-PPR is fine

- I'd prefer performance-based over a TD heavy league (I think it would keep kids interested)

- For the rules, waivers can be reset once a week based on reverse order of standings...I wouldnt' worry aboutr blind bids or IR (again,

definite topic of conversation for next year)

1. Anyway, I'm down for anything, and can help in anyway possible (I've commissioned a bunch of leagues int he past 10 years or so, so I can help with setup, etc.) ...I'd love to get my son to enjoy the game as much as his old man!
Thanks,

Brian

I don't mean to derail your plan, but I am organizing my own father-son league. It will be FFPC format, $50 entry fee. Message me if you have interest. Our league will not strictly be father-son. Any nominal familial relationship (even frat brothers) will do.

I think we are getting close. we will definitely get to the 12 teams at this point.

Raleigh Reef has expressed some interest in helping out. I am not looking to be commissioner of a league. I just don't have the extra time it takes to put into it to make it something "special" for lack of a better word. I offered it to him. if he is not up for it, would anyone else be interested?

Right now, it's looking like this:

Team:

2) Papa Georgio & Son

3) SKbateman & Daughter

6) tradersunlim

7) godgers12

8) Raleigh Reef

9) ThaDude

10)

11)

12)

Team:

2) Papa Georgio & Son

6) tradersunlim

7) godgers12

8) Raleigh Reef

9) ThaDude

10)

11)

12)

I thought this was such a GREAT idea, I shared it with the players in my leagues. I hope you guys get it going... I will pass along your posts for those interested.

I am interested with my two sons

if it can be just one then so be it, still interested

one thought, would an online "slow" draft be better so the young'uns can actually do the research and pick whilst not under the pressure of a minute or two time, we have a month to pull a slow draft off

FiddyStorm - I am up to help in anyway....if you all want me to set up the league, not an issue. All that I ask is that you help tell me a live draft date that would work for everyone. The only days I'm unavailable are:

August 10 - 14 (family vacation)

August 17-18 - I have a live fantasy draft and a family thing

Mondays and Wednesdays (soccer practice)

Let me know.

Thanks!

BT / Raleigh Reef

I am not interested in being a commish but would help in anyway needed. All my son and I need is a little advance notice on when the draft will be so I can make arrangements. Glad to see this thing taking off!

Team:

6) tradersunlim

7) godgers12

8) Raleigh Reef

9) ThaDude

10)

11)

12)

I contacted http://www.youthfantasyfootball.com/ about settingup a league.

Doug
That's interesting, I'd be interested to see what he can do.

trying to iron out a draft. a couple ideas thrown out there have been to do a long draft over a couple weeks. give the kids a little time to understand what the thought is going into each pick w/o the pressure/constraints of a 2 minute time limit. I've never done it that way before. any other ideas other than the norm?

I heard back from a few people. here's where we're at:

5) Firecrackerfreakshow & Son confirmed

6) tradersunlim

7) godgers12

8) Raleigh Reef confirmed

9) ThaDude confirmed

10) Lash

11)

12)

You can confirm me and my son for this league.

Slow draft sounds good we can start once we have 12 teams. Kids have no school so this should get done before school/season starts. Some sites can handle the slow draft process not sure which are free and not.

Otherwise keep it simple and keep in mind we are doing this for the kids.

T

You can confirm me and my son for this league.

Slow draft sounds good we can start once we have 12 teams. Kids have no school so this should get done before school/season starts. Some sites can handle the slow draft process not sure which are free and not.

Otherwise keep it simple and keep in mind we are doing this for the kids.

T
well said. Seems like we are nearing a consensus on the slow draft process. We have 10 teams confirmed. I personally like a 12 team league, any thoughts otherwise?

I will update the first post as far as thats concerned from here forward and anything else we decide on.

myfantasyleague.com can handle a live slow draft, you set all parameters, even shutting the timer off at night, but there is a website fee

i have a FBG subscriber discount and a multiple MFL league commissioner discount so can probably get that down to about $5 per team

ESPN and Yahoo cant even come close to the customization of the site and I don't have a problem setting it up if yawl want

my email is coachlarue@gmail.com

Hi Guys - I'm not going to be able to do a slow draft. My son's starting school in a week, his soccer teams' starting up, and we still have a summer vacation, so unfortunately we're out on this one.

However, I wish you all the best of luck and hope this is a success. It's an excellent idea and I look forward to teaching my son fantasy football as well.

Thanks!

Raleigh Reef

i'm a big fan of My Fantasy League. never had a problem there. certainly reasonable. i am definitely willing to put $5 - $7 which is approx what MFL would amount to.

Users who are viewing this thread