What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson....time to sell fellas (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Adrian Peterson has peaked. I hate to say it but he will not finish in the top 10 for fantasy backs this season. Call it a strong guy instinct but I can't sit idly by while people flush away high picks on him.

I can't really put my finger on why. He lost McKinnie but that isn't it. I think it has more to do with a worsening QB situation and defense. This team is going to be very weak this year. They've lost their heart and soul in Favre.

I guess I just want to generate discussion. But I've kept Adrian since he was a rookie and I'm letting him go this year in favor of other options.

Disagree. There will be a year where he declines but this ain't it yet. He still finishes top 5 IMO. The QB situation improved from last year if anything. The O-line still has enough and AP hasn't lost any of his power or speed yet. Just don't see any justification for a fall (excluding injury).

Adrian Peterson has peaked. I hate to say it but he will not finish in the top 10 for fantasy backs this season. Call it a strong guy instinct but I can't sit idly by while people flush away high picks on him. I can't really put my finger on why. He lost McKinnie but that isn't it. I think it has more to do with a worsening QB situation and defense. This team is going to be very weak this year. They've lost their heart and soul in Favre. I guess I just want to generate discussion. But I've kept Adrian since he was a rookie and I'm letting him go this year in favor of other options.
I understand devaluing Peterson a bit this year. That being said, I don't think McKinnie or Hutchinson played all that well last year. In addition, the whole idea that Favre was the heart and soul of the team and his loss will have a big impact doesn't make sense to me. In Peterson's career, he has only had 1 season with a good QB at the helm.

And here I thought there me be some substance in this thread...

Aruan Foster may stink...I'm not sure why and i can't put my finger on it but it just may happen.

Awesome.

Adrian Peterson has peaked. I hate to say it but he will not finish in the top 10 for fantasy backs this season. Call it a strong guy instinct but I can't sit idly by while people flush away high picks on him. I can't really put my finger on why. He lost McKinnie but that isn't it. I think it has more to do with a worsening QB situation and defense. This team is going to be very weak this year. They've lost their heart and soul in Favre. I guess I just want to generate discussion. But I've kept Adrian since he was a rookie and I'm letting him go this year in favor of other options.
This thread can be taken one of two ways:A. Adrian Peterson is the age that you start selling RBs off.B. Adrian Peterson is going to have a down year, so trade him at his peak value.Everyone knows that RBs lose value year by year. No thread really needed for that. As for the "bad year" theory, fine. But a bad year for Adrian Peterson is still a safe bet for top 5 numbers. His QB play won't be any worse than it was last year. I think it will be better, actually."Flush away" high picks on the most talented RB the leauge has seen since prime LT (IMO)? Uh...okay. I will gladly flush high picks away on him.

And here I thought there me be some substance in this thread...Aruan Foster may stink...I'm not sure why and i can't put my finger on it but it just may happen.Awesome.
:confused: There are plenty of people out there that rank Minnesota's offensive line as the WORST in the game.

This thread can be taken one of two ways:A. Adrian Peterson is the age that you start selling RBs off.B. Adrian Peterson is going to have a down year, so trade him at his peak value.Everyone knows that RBs lose value year by year. No thread really needed for that. As for the "bad year" theory, fine. But a bad year for Adrian Peterson is still a safe bet for top 5 numbers. His QB play won't be any worse than it was last year. I think it will be better, actually."Flush away" high picks on the most talented RB the leauge has seen since prime LT (IMO)? Uh...okay. I will gladly flush high picks away on him.
I just don't see how he overcomes the loss of McKinnie, Hutch, Favre, Rice, and the further decline of the defense. Last season he put up RB11 numbers over the second half of the season. I see that as more of his final landing spot this season. Frazier is there now and he inspires no confidence at all. I've watched LT play a lot of games and I don't see a transcendent talent. He's never had the TD capability of a Priest Holmes or Tomlinson.

Sssshhh. Let them continue to take Peterson in the top 5. I am drafting near the bottom of the round in all my drafts.

I agree with the OP, and want no parts of any Vikings this year. I have added a 2 round handicap to all Vikings to push them back.

I just don't see how he overcomes the loss of McKinnie, Hutch, Favre, Rice, and the further decline of the defense. Last season he put up RB11 numbers over the second half of the season. I see that as more of his final landing spot this season. Frazier is there now and he inspires no confidence at all. I've watched LT play a lot of games and I don't see a transcendent talent. He's never had the TD capability of a Priest Holmes or Tomlinson.
Favre and Rice weren't there last year. McKinnie and Hutch played pretty poorly last year as well. So If we can expect similar stats to last year's 1500+ total yards and 12+ tds, then I'll be fine with that.

Well chances are 1 or more of the top 5 RBs will bust, but there have not been many good reasons listed why Peterson will tank.

Last years consensus top 5 ranking

1 C. Johnson

2 Peterson

3 MJD

4 Rice

5 Gore

Last years top 5 finishers for ppr

1 Arian Foster

2 Peyton Hillis

3 LeSean McCoy

4 Jamaal Charles

5 Adrian Peterson

One from the preseason. I still think the chances that Charles, Johnson, and Foster fall out of the top 10, are more likely than Peterson.

Favre and Rice weren't there last year. McKinnie and Hutch played pretty poorly last year as well. So If we can expect similar stats to last year's 1500+ total yards and 12+ tds, then I'll be fine with that.
Look how he performed once Childress got canned. He was middle of the road. McNabb might actually be worse than Favre. Who are they even trotting out as linemen this season?

The last 2 teams who lost Brett "heart and soul" Favre have gone on to some pretty impressive success. There are a ton of positives about Favre, but I don't think that being a great locker room presence is one of them.

No doubt, that team has all the markings of a bottom-dweller, but I'm betting Peterson still produces. For reference, look at the Chargers teams in the first 3 years of Tomlinson's career. He reliably finished in the top 5 RB's on some pretty bad teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look how he performed once Childress got canned. He was middle of the road. McNabb might actually be worse than Favre. Who are they even trotting out as linemen this season?
You do know he was injured and missed time right? Including a full game?

You say Peterson has peaked and you cite Favre (the heart and soul :lmao: ) of the Vikings being gone as a reason. You do realize he's finished Top 3 for 4 years in a row now, right? And 2.5 of those years were without Favre, right?

I think people are selling McNabb short. Do you really think he'll be any worse than Favre/Jackson/Webb were last year? I don't. At all.

Peterson will still finish Top 5. To suggest he'll finish outside of the Top 10 (unless you are predicting injury) is absolutely silly.

I could just as easily say ADP has just entered his prime, this is the season the stars align & he has his best year ever. What makes his situation worse than any other top RB? I could find something wrong with all of their situations.

Like I said, I'm having a hard time nailing down the feeling. Call it gut. But I think this team finishes in the NFC North cellar. One thing he does have going for him is the fact that he's not in a committee at all.

His line is terrible. That makes his situation much worse than Foster or Chris Johnson's.

12 team, 1 keeper league and I sold. Traded him for a 1st, 2nd and 5th round pick.

I have faith in him but no faith in the other 10 players around him.

Really don't see how this is going to happen. It could but I have to disagree. Even with the OL not what it was ADP is a star that will produce, especially in PPR. Don't see how McNabb is much worse than Favre. Yes he looked bad with the Skins but this is a guy that helped make Brian Westbrook a house hold name in PPR. I have a feeling he could easily produce Top 3 if not No. 1 overall numbers again this season in PPR and Top 5 in standard scoring leagues.

Vikings | Adrian Peterson wants new deal (Tue Aug 23, 11:00 AM) - Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson is in the last year of his contract and wants a new one. Peterson noticed that Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald received an eight-year, $120 million ($50 million guaranteed) contract and said, 'I'm happy that he got that deal done, and I'm happy that I got the same agent (Ben Dogra).'

I have never been that impressed by Peterson. Not in my top 5. At 6 or 7, I would take him. I would probably take an unsigned CJ over him.

I don't like ADP as a top 3 overall pick, necessarily, but calling for him to fall out of the top 10 in RB production? I think that's pushing it too far. Yeah, his o-line is bad, and McNabb doesn't instill a ton of confidence (at least for me), but saying he's not a "transcendent talent"???

I think Peterson may end up having the best year of his career this season. If others feel he will drop off that's fine but I have yet to see one legitimate reason cited.

The OP cites the loss of Hutchison who, unless I missed something, is still on the roster. McNabb should be no worse than the QB play ADP has had all of his career with the exception of 2009. Plus, he's playing for a big pay day.

And to all those who say they have watched this guy play and don't see a "transcendent talent" or even that they have "never been impressed" with the guy's ability then thank you for letting me know that I should NEVER really listen to your advice or opinion on football talent.

Like I said, I'm having a hard time nailing down the feeling. Call it gut. But I think this team finishes in the NFC North cellar.
...like they did last year?
Yeah Sabertooth really went out on a limb there..
So you expect teams to finish exactly like they did last season?
No, but your implied argument is that if the Vikings are terrible, so goes Peterson. Last year they sucked, and he was great. If I weren't on my smartphone, this is where I'd insert the shrugging smiley face.

While I think ADP may still be a top 5 RB this year, it is not because I think he will maintain his status quo as far as his stats go. I just think that with more and more RBBC's out there, the good RB1 stats we are used to seeing in the past, will fall a great deal.

Gone are the days when you had several top 5 RB's get double digit TD's. Now, you have 2 guys split the rushing Td's per team.

ADP doesn't really have anyone to steal carries from him. What worries me more is the loss of Rice and he is running behind one of the worst O-lines in the NFL. Also, can Percy Harvin play a whole season without getting migraines creeping up on him? If Harvin misses any games I expect ADP to really struggle in those games.

I do like McNabb (probably a slight upgrade over Favre at this point), but if he plays like he did last year, then that's just another red flag for Adrian.

Not sure I'd ditch him this year unless you could get a king's ransom for him. But I do expect a decent sized dip in his numbers.

On a side note...I love Arian Foster this year. If he can stay healty I see him getting about 1400 - 1600 rushing yards with 12 - 15 TD's if not more. Good O-line, good supporting cast, and they feed him the rock. And he is playing for a fat contract! Add to that the AFC South is gonna have a down year this year. The Texans are a team to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Peterson may end up having the best year of his career this season. If others feel he will drop off that's fine but I have yet to see one legitimate reason cited.The OP cites the loss of Hutchison who, unless I missed something, is still on the roster. McNabb should be no worse than the QB play ADP has had all of his career with the exception of 2009. Plus, he's playing for a big pay day.And to all those who say they have watched this guy play and don't see a "transcendent talent" or even that they have "never been impressed" with the guy's ability then thank you for letting me know that I should NEVER really listen to your advice or opinion on football talent.
Hutch is no where near the player he once was. McNabb was worse than Favre just last year. Adrian could very well hold out. He's a good back. He's not as good as Johnson nor is he LT2 in his prime or Barry. He's very good. He's a professional and he stays in great shape. However this is the worst team he's ever been a part of. He's going too high in drafts. He just is.

Like I said, I'm having a hard time nailing down the feeling. Call it gut. But I think this team finishes in the NFC North cellar.
No, but your implied argument is that if the Vikings are terrible, so goes Peterson. Last year they sucked, and he was great. If I weren't on my smartphone, this is where I'd insert the shrugging smiley face.
He wasn't great. He was very good. His carries, yardage, touchdowns, and receptions all declined from 2009. He had the lowest rushing total of his career. I have a feeling he would be fortunate to match last season's stats.

Which other options are you targeting?

The team itself was in turmoil. Favre was hanging on for dear life until Joe Webb jumped in. There is zero chance McNabb is worse than that QB situation. Plus AP had 2 of his best games of the year in the last 4 weeks. 107-3 vs Buff and 118-1 at Philly. I don't see it man. The guy has been top 5 every year he's been in the league. This is only his 5th season. He's still got a lot of tread on those tires.

He wasn't great. He was very good. His carries, yardage, touchdowns, and receptions all declined from 2009. He had the lowest rushing total of his career. I have a feeling he would be fortunate to match last season's stats.
Yet still finished top 5. Go figure. That is incredible when looking back at the state of flux the team was in. They are decidedly more stable this year. No Favre, No Childress, better QB situation, new HC with a lot to prove. Frasier is going to ride peterson hard because it will mean wins. Thats what a new HC wants so he can keep his job. AP allowed Childress to keep his job probably a year or 2 longer than he should have. He will do the same for Frasier. If AP were slowing down or looked like the wear and tear was getting to him, I could see an argument. He's been strong though.

I think Peterson may end up having the best year of his career this season. If others feel he will drop off that's fine but I have yet to see one legitimate reason cited.The OP cites the loss of Hutchison who, unless I missed something, is still on the roster. McNabb should be no worse than the QB play ADP has had all of his career with the exception of 2009. Plus, he's playing for a big pay day.And to all those who say they have watched this guy play and don't see a "transcendent talent" or even that they have "never been impressed" with the guy's ability then thank you for letting me know that I should NEVER really listen to your advice or opinion on football talent.
Hutch is no where near the player he once was. McNabb was worse than Favre just last year. Adrian could very well hold out. He's a good back. He's not as good as Johnson nor is he LT2 in his prime or Barry. He's very good. He's a professional and he stays in great shape. However this is the worst team he's ever been a part of. He's going too high in drafts. He just is.
First of all, you said "make up for the loss of Hutch" implying that he was no longer there. Just because the guy underperformed last year does not mean he is done as a lineman. And either way, it's a misleading statement.Secondly, McNabb was NOT worse than Favre last season based on any metrics, reasonable observation, or common sense. Thirdly, saying he is not as good as Chris Johnson, LT2 is his prime, or Barry Sanders, is not exactly a knock OR anything close to a valid argument to knock his FF value this year. And he is a different type of back than those 3 but arguably just as good and definitely in the convo.Fourth, it's subjective, speculative, and likely wrong IMO to say this is the worst team he's been a part of. Lastly, ADP has stated he will not hold out and it would make ZERO sense for him to do so at this point after particiapting in all of camp so far. So again, there is NOTHING to base this on other than your gut feeling. Hey, maybe your gut is right but you have offered zero in credible arguments to support your gut. As others have said this is either a fishing trip to lower ADP's value or a baseless opinion supported by misguided arguments.

Which other options are you targeting?
I tend to like Ray Rice and Lesean McCoy in PPR. They both catch a ton an would appear to be in much friendlier offenses.

Read through this thread and I still dont get all the negativity. You say its your gut telling you he's done or on the decline. You cite that Hutch aint there anymore but he is. That Vikes will be bottom of the barrel, they were last year and AP still was in the top 5 RBs. That their OL is terrible, they were last year, but they still have pieces they can move around and work with. And that (lol) no Brett Favre is a major reason for the decline of Peterson this year? IMO Brett is a major reason why AP didn't blow up last year! If it wasn't for Childress' lack of insight, Brett would have never come, and he would still have a HC job.. From what I could tell Favre did not fit in that system at all. Its like trying to shove a square into a round hole. This is coming from a non-homer that did not have AP last year.. just my observations.

First of all, you said "make up for the loss of Hutch" implying that he was no longer there. Just because the guy underperformed last year does not mean he is done as a lineman. And either way, it's a misleading statement.Secondly, McNabb was NOT worse than Favre last season based on any metrics, reasonable observation, or common sense. Thirdly, saying he is not as good as Chris Johnson, LT2 is his prime, or Barry Sanders, is not exactly a knock OR anything close to a valid argument to knock his FF value this year. And he is a different type of back than those 3 but arguably just as good and definitely in the convo.Fourth, it's subjective, speculative, and likely wrong IMO to say this is the worst team he's been a part of. Lastly, ADP has stated he will not hold out and it would make ZERO sense for him to do so at this point after particiapting in all of camp so far. So again, there is NOTHING to base this on other than your gut feeling. Hey, maybe your gut is right but you have offered zero in credible arguments to support your gut. As others have said this is either a fishing trip to lower ADP's value or a baseless opinion supported by misguided arguments.
Ok, my bad on Hutch. I said I was having a hard time pinning it down. He was the 11th best back in the NFL last season once the wheels started to come off the bus. That is more where I think he finishes.He had his lowest rushing total of his career last season. I think he goes even lower this season as I have seen no reason to think the Vikings have improved in any area.

Vikings | Adrian Peterson wants new deal (Tue Aug 23, 11:00 AM) - Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson is in the last year of his contract and wants a new one. Peterson noticed that Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald received an eight-year, $120 million ($50 million guaranteed) contract and said, 'I'm happy that he got that deal done, and I'm happy that I got the same agent (Ben Dogra).'
If anything this is a reason for AP to really show what he's got. To say that if he doesn't get a new contract he won't play good.. that's just silly and I would fire any agent that told me to do that, immediately.In any case its a little too late for gripes this far into the pre-season, if he wanted a new deal he would have stated it already.

Ok, my bad on Hutch. I said I was having a hard time pinning it down. He was the 11th best back in the NFL last season once the wheels started to come off the bus. That is more where I think he finishes.He had his lowest rushing total of his career last season. I think he goes even lower this season as I have seen no reason to think the Vikings have improved in any area.
Ok, wait maybe I was sorting that improperly. He was 6th in the second half of last season not 11th.

Adrian Peterson has peaked. I hate to say it but he will not finish in the top 10 for fantasy backs this season. Call it a strong guy instinct but I can't sit idly by while people flush away high picks on him.

I can't really put my finger on why. He lost McKinnie but that isn't it. I think it has more to do with a worsening QB situation and defense. This team is going to be very weak this year. They've lost their heart and soul in Favre.

I guess I just want to generate discussion. But I've kept Adrian since he was a rookie and I'm letting him go this year in favor of other options.
I'm sold.Seriously though, while you could be right people can't really base their early draft picks on such sketchy analysis. Peterson is money year in and year out, thus barring injury he's as safe a pick at the top of the draft as anyone else.

He has thrived under poor QB play in the past during the Tavaris Jackson / Gus Ferotten years and McNabb can really be no worse than they were even at this stage of his career - and honestly he wasn't as bad as he was protrayed last season for Washington.

Users who are viewing this thread