What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anarchy League Thoughts (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
I never had a thread on all the leagues as a whole, so I figured I would give it a shot.

With all precincts now through at least a round of drafting . . .

- There were 23 different first round picks.

- Of those 23 picks, 8 were TMQB, 7 were RB, 5 were TE, and 3 were WR.

- The co-consenus/lowest ADPs were a tie with Arian Foster and GB TMQB. Note that GB TMQB got the nod but was not a #1 pick in any of the 5 drafts.

- All 5 leagues had a different #1 pick.

- So far, one player taken in the first round went as late as 42nd overall in one of the other leagues (but someone else could be drafted even later than that, too soon to tell at the moment, not all drafts are at the same point).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised more TMQB's arent being taken across the leagues. I had to draft at 1.16/2.1 in AL5 and I felt that if I did not take back to back TMQB's I would be stuck with absolute garbage on the way back. Sadly in my league the top 6 TMQB's were taken before my picks so I got stuck Pitts/Hou and stayed away from IND.

I find it easier to pass on QBs early since I know I'm getting two regardless of when I draft them.
I do not consider Andy Dalton and Chad Henne QB's yet.
Doesn't matter what you consider them, those TMQBs will score a lot more fantasy points than the RB you'll get in the 18th round.
In 2010, Hillis, BGE, Tolbert, Brandon Jackson, Woodhead, and Blount (all free agents in League 5, and likely in the other leagues as well), all outscored the Carolina QBs, and some of them outscored other QB teams. I got Steve Johnson with my 18th rounder, and others got Aaron Hernandez and Deon Branch. We are doing it later this year than last (some of those guys rose in the ranks through the preseason), so there likely will be less value at the end, but there will still be some. And a 100 point hole at QB--which is what the 31st and 32nd QB teams will have, at the end of the year--is alot to make up.

In 2010, Hillis, BGE, Tolbert, Brandon Jackson, Woodhead, and Blount (all free agents in League 5, and likely in the other leagues as well), all outscored the Carolina QBs, and some of them outscored other QB teams. I got Steve Johnson with my 18th rounder, and others got Aaron Hernandez and Deon Branch. We are doing it later this year than last (some of those guys rose in the ranks through the preseason), so there likely will be less value at the end, but there will still be some. And a 100 point hole at QB--which is what the 31st and 32nd QB teams will have, at the end of the year--is alot to make up.
Clearly different strokes for different folks. There are a lot of strategies that have been tried in this league, some of them work, most of them fail.But I will say this about TMQB. From year to year, many times the bottom feeder TMQBs from one year improve the next (maybe people were hurt, maybe they got a new QB, etc.). And many times the huge advantage for one team LAST year came from getting a lot of post season points, while teams this year that DO make the playoffs may get the same infusion later this year.Clearly there will be a bunch of lottery picks that will turn big profits (Woodhead, BJGE, Hillis, Lloyd, etc.). But that really is not something you can bank on very often. As CalBear said, you at least are guaranteed something from even the worst TMQB, and usually there will be only one or two really horrible QB situations.

How often are the 31st and 32nd QBs taken 31st and 32nd in the draft?There will be high-scoring free agents again this year, yet, 80% of the non-TMQB/K/D picks in the last four rounds will produce nothing of value. The differential between the top-picked QBs and the low-picked QBs just doesn't justify the high QB picks. The last QB taken in league 2 last year (Buffalo) finished with 266.14 points, 100 less than Peyton Manning. The last RB taken was LaRod Stephens-Howling, who scored 28.40, 200 less than most of the first-round RBs and WRs. Excepting season-ending injuries and Randy Moss, you have to go down to pick 3.06 (Steve Smith CAR) to find a player who didn't score more than 100 points more than Stephens-Howling.

good discussion here. im with the take a qb late theory for reasons posted above although i did take gbqb at 1.5 this year. seemed the surest bet after top rbs were gone.

Valid points, but I think you aren't taking a few things into account under this format. Good QB teams are more likely to be playing into January. They also often have a decent backup to step in when injury strikes, which makes them less risky than in standard leagues (alot less risky when you consider that you get a zero from the other positions when a guy goes down). In contrast, while some of the QB teams projected to be bad, like Buffalo, outperform expectations, many don't. We expected Carolina, Cleveland and AZ to be bad last year, and they were. Moreover, they got nowhere near playing into January, and when the starter was pulled--for injury or poor performance--the backup was just as bad if not worse. So while I don't think you need to take a QB early (this year drafting late I didn't in my first two rounds), I also don't want to be relying on any of the last 3 or 4 QB teams in the pool.

Valid points, but I think you aren't taking a few things into account under this format. Good QB teams are more likely to be playing into January. They also often have a decent backup to step in when injury strikes, which makes them less risky than in standard leagues (alot less risky when you consider that you get a zero from the other positions when a guy goes down). In contrast, while some of the QB teams projected to be bad, like Buffalo, outperform expectations, many don't. We expected Carolina, Cleveland and AZ to be bad last year, and they were. Moreover, they got nowhere near playing into January, and when the starter was pulled--for injury or poor performance--the backup was just as bad if not worse. So while I don't think you need to take a QB early (this year drafting late I didn't in my first two rounds), I also don't want to be relying on any of the last 3 or 4 QB teams in the pool.
The bottom line is, over the years, teams that have filled TMQB very early have pretty much tanked. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not, but the track record for success certainly is not there.

I think worrying about the playoffs is a trap. Half of the teams you think will make the playoffs, won't--see San Diego last year, for example--and a good number of those who you think have no chance will go ahead and do it (take Kansas City). Of those who make the playoffs, half of them will give you one extra game (6.25% more games), about one-quarter will give you two (13%), and only two or three will give you three or four games. So really in terms of expected point value, you're looking at maybe 10 points of extra expected value for a supposedly playoff-bound QB over a QB on a supposedly lame team. Last year, Tom Brady, Michael Vick, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees got you less than 30 extra points for their playoff games; Rivers, Romo, Eli Manning, and Schaub got you none. Mark Sanchez, taken in the ninth round in A2, got you over 50, and Matt Hasselbeck, taken in the 10th, got you 60. Tampa Bay, taken in the 13th, didn't make the playoffs and still scored 322 points.As for backups, I think there are a lot of teams with crappy first-string QBs who are better in TMQB format than in single-QB format. We don't necessarily know who will be starting all year in Washington, but we know that the TMQB is very likely to outscore either single QB. Just for reference, in 2010 the best value QB was probably Denver, the #6 QB taken at 8.15. Certainly that was a lot better value than Green Bay, the #1 QB taken at 1.09. The worst was Arizona, the #31 QB taken at 7.02. Coincidentally, both of those were selected by Bri.

To further the when to draft a QB debate, last year I finished 3rd in league QB scoring in League 1 . . . taking DEN at pick 142 and TB at pick 211.

Early in the season I was at or near the top of the league until I had 4 guys go on IR (including Dallas Clark and Terrell Owens) with 2 other players out for over half the year.

Any strategy could work in this type of format provided you hit on later picks in the middle to end of the draft. But don't kid yourself, to win your team is going to need the luck of good health, as most teams will not be able to sustain injuries to key players and stay in the hunt.

I'd like to recommend that we limit the strategy discussion until we are much deeper into the draft, say the last quarter. :ph34r:

I'd like to recommend that we limit the strategy discussion until we are much deeper into the draft, say the last quarter. :ph34r:
Doesn't seem to be a real reason to do that, you can't convince anyone else that their strategy is wrong, anyway.Besides, the whole point of the league is to explore a different format. Ain't no money on the line.

Agree that different strategies will work and the most important factor is who stays healthy. Last year I took:

Anarchy4 = 1.01 GB QB and 2.16 PHI QB

Anarchy3 = 1.10 IND QB and 9.10 JAX QB

My thoughts are that there may be a few team QB situations that folks are undervaluing. Those will probably not outscore the top ten or twelve QBs, but it is possible to outpace others if you make successful selections at other positions. I think that the top full-time RBs are few and far between. I like the fact that I already have four and some teams have only one.

Doesn't seem to be a real reason to do that, you can't convince anyone else that their strategy is wrong, anyway.Besides, the whole point of the league is to explore a different format. Ain't no money on the line.
Money or no money, I like to win. Then again, I've never won an Anarchy league, so maybe this will help. :mellow:

My thoughts are that there may be a few team QB situations that folks are undervaluing. Those will probably not outscore the top ten or twelve QBs, but it is possible to outpace others if you make successful selections at other positions. I think that the top full-time RBs are few and far between. I like the fact that I already have four and some teams have only one.
Taking RBs early is the hardest way to win in this format IMO, because QB, WR, and TE all outscore RBs in this format (on a relative scale).

with 2 PPR for TE's....I am going to commit to using my flex spot at TE and hopefully try to get guys that will be in the playoffs...not sure if it is a good idea or not but going to give it a shot...I figure if I can get a 50 reception TE it is better than a hit and miss RB/WR....

BassNBrew Player YTD Pts Bye

Grant, Ryan GBP RB - 8

Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 7

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - 7

Jennings, Greg GBP WR - 8

Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR (P) - 7

Cook, Jared TEN TE - 6

Gates, Antonio SDC TE (P) - 6

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE (Q) - 9

Packers, Green Bay GBP Def - 8

9 Total Players

Went with three TEs because of the scoring and to put a dent in another team at this position. 5 of 9 are Packers/Eagles. I had a strong playoff run last year and would like to capitize on those bonus points this year. Personally think Gates will get me 6 of 9 in the playoffs.

Not at all concerned about QBs, Buffalo QB in the late rounds did just fine for me last year. Once the sure playoff QBs are gone, there's no need to burn a pick in the first half of the draft on a QB. The DD has all these QBs scoring within 40 pts of each other.

The bottom line is, over the years, teams that have filled TMQB very early have pretty much tanked. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not, but the track record for success certainly is not there.
Those who took two elite QBs usually tanked. However those who waited and took the orts also tanked - witness what happened to Aaron and Carlton last year.

'BassNBrew said:
BassNBrew Player YTD Pts Bye Grant, Ryan GBP RB - 8 Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 7 Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - 7 Jennings, Greg GBP WR - 8 Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR (P) - 7 Cook, Jared TEN TE - 6 Gates, Antonio SDC TE (P) - 6 Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE (Q) - 9Packers, Green Bay GBP Def - 8 9 Total Players Went with three TEs because of the scoring and to put a dent in another team at this position. 5 of 9 are Packers/Eagles. I had a strong playoff run last year and would like to capitize on those bonus points this year. Personally think Gates will get me 6 of 9 in the playoffs.Not at all concerned about QBs, Buffalo QB in the late rounds did just fine for me last year. Once the sure playoff QBs are gone, there's no need to burn a pick in the first half of the draft on a QB. The DD has all these QBs scoring within 40 pts of each other.
The system will allow you to take three TEs, but league rules limit you to two.

'BassNBrew said:
BassNBrew Player YTD Pts Bye Grant, Ryan GBP RB - 8 Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 7 Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - 7 Jennings, Greg GBP WR - 8 Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR (P) - 7 Cook, Jared TEN TE - 6 Gates, Antonio SDC TE (P) - 6 Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE (Q) - 9Packers, Green Bay GBP Def - 8 9 Total Players Went with three TEs because of the scoring and to put a dent in another team at this position. 5 of 9 are Packers/Eagles. I had a strong playoff run last year and would like to capitize on those bonus points this year. Personally think Gates will get me 6 of 9 in the playoffs.Not at all concerned about QBs, Buffalo QB in the late rounds did just fine for me last year. Once the sure playoff QBs are gone, there's no need to burn a pick in the first half of the draft on a QB. The DD has all these QBs scoring within 40 pts of each other.
Incorrect. You must start two, you can use a third as a flex.

I never had a thread on all the leagues as a whole, so I figured I would give it a shot.With all precincts now through at least a round of drafting . . .- There were 23 different first round picks.- Of those 23 picks, 8 were TMQB, 7 were RB, 5 were TE, and 3 were WR.- The co-consenus/lowest ADPs were a tie with Arian Foster and GB TMQB. Note that GB TMQB got the nod but was not a #1 pick in any of the 5 drafts.- All 5 leagues had a different #1 pick.- So far, one player taken in the first round went as late as 42nd overall in one of the other leagues (but someone else could be drafted even later than that, too soon to tell at the moment, not all drafts are at the same point).
Hey David...can we get an update on the specifics here, especially the 1st rounder that went as late as 42. I assume it was a team QB if I had to guess.

Vernon Davis went 15th in one league and 42nd in another.

Where the TMQBs went in the various leagues is interesting. One of them went went 3rd round and is still on the board 120 picks later in another.

The range on Greg Olsen was 63 picks between high and low. Tony Moeaki was 67 picks.

'BassNBrew said:
BassNBrew Player YTD Pts Bye

Grant, Ryan GBP RB - 8

Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 7

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - 7

Jennings, Greg GBP WR - 8

Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR (P) - 7

Cook, Jared TEN TE - 6

Gates, Antonio SDC TE (P) - 6

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE (Q) - 9

Packers, Green Bay GBP Def - 8

9 Total Players

Went with three TEs because of the scoring and to put a dent in another team at this position. 5 of 9 are Packers/Eagles. I had a strong playoff run last year and would like to capitize on those bonus points this year. Personally think Gates will get me 6 of 9 in the playoffs.

Not at all concerned about QBs, Buffalo QB in the late rounds did just fine for me last year. Once the sure playoff QBs are gone, there's no need to burn a pick in the first half of the draft on a QB. The DD has all these QBs scoring within 40 pts of each other.
Went with J.Graham, O.Daniels and My Marcedes Boy as my 3 TE's. Loving having those three but my #1 Wr is J.Knox :bag:

Vernon Davis went 15th in one league and 42nd in another.Where the TMQBs went in the various leagues is interesting. One of them went went 3rd round and is still on the board 120 picks later in another.The range on Greg Olsen was 63 picks between high and low. Tony Moeaki was 67 picks.
Someone got steal with Davis.I can't believe where some of the team QBs are going. I can understand the top dogs going early, but the mid-round picks of guys with questionable playoff potential at best is head scratching.

'BassNBrew said:
Yikes, missed that. Sorry.

Yikes, missed that. Sorry.
Yea me too. :bag:

David - Any thoughts on how we are going to finish these before the season or are we just not going to worry about it and draft after the opening games until we are done?

David - Any thoughts on how we are going to finish these before the season or are we just not going to worry about it and draft after the opening games until we are done?
Probably just let it ride into the season if need be. Should only be an issue with the Thursday night game, and at that point it would be mostly bottom feeders left in the first place. If someone wants to grab a no name player that may have lucked into a TD as a 4th receiver, more power to them I guess.

Probably just let it ride into the season if need be. Should only be an issue with the Thursday night game, and at that point it would be mostly bottom feeders left in the first place. If someone wants to grab a no name player that may have lucked into a TD as a 4th receiver, more power to them I guess.
I think we should try to get them done before the season. Anquan Boldin was undrafted. 4-hour timer goes on on Monday morning.

I think we should try to get them done before the season. Anquan Boldin was undrafted. 4-hour timer goes on on Monday morning.
When I signed on to take over for Jiggy it was with the understanding, stated in the rules, that there was a 4 hour timer. I never would have done it if I'd known the timer would remain off and guys would have unlimited time (the last pick in Anarchy 2 was 17 hours ago and it's just being ignored). I'm honestly about to bail on this thing. I have other things to do. And I leave for a vacation on 9/8 so I'm done 9/7 regardless. This whole draft should take about a week, not 2 weeks.

The entire draft has been slowed up, but David indicated up front that he was initiating the leagues and would not have time to prod individual slow drafters. Nobody stepped up to volunteer to keep things moving. I couldn't do that so it is one of those put up or shut up situations in my opinion.

I wish that a few in Anarchy 2 would pay closer attention, but people do what they want. I have been checking in and when it gets close to my turn, just using the auto-draft. I think that I have only been actually running clock one time. As long as the majority of the participants will continue to autodraft, we probably should still get done before the first kickoff.

Meanwhile if anyone has personal contact information (email or cell phone) and they would assist by informing those slower guys this would aid greatly in moving the draft along.

:football:

It can be set up to send e-mails whenver a draft pick occurs, but I imagine some have it set to go to an e-mail they don't check. I've found sending a pm reminder here helps.

As stated many times in many places, the problem with having a timer is that in the past it made things worse and not better. All hell would break loose when someone missed a pick.

If they got an auto pick, that guy was normally someone already out for the season. If they didn't get an auto pick, they got a player instead, but usually someone they didn't want (or someone that made tham have an illegal roster). Invariable, if they wanted to substitute another player, one of the teams that already made a pick after that pick wanted the player the first team threw back.

Several times, someone missed a pick and screwed with the pre-draft function, meaning other teams didn't get someone because it changed who was available for the pre draft picks.

In short, historically missing picks has been a nightmare. I've had guys drop out of drafts altogether that missed picks at the turn and got stuck with two auto picks for guys that were never going to be on the field at all the whole season.

With some leagues in the past having these types of issues, it messed with the competitive balance of the leagues. For example, last year a team ended up with 3 TEs (which is legal) but before they took the last TE they had already taken a RB or a WR as a flex (which would be illegal). So the last TE had to be dropped. Well, that TE was Pettigrew and it was three rounds after he was picked. Well, almost every team wanted to pick him. But I wasn't going to let him get picked up at that point, and the only fair think to do was ask every team since he was picked if they wanted to drop the guy they did pick for Pettigrew and essentially reset the draft for 3 rounds when the draft was almost done. That made no sense, so I basically ground ruled out any team from drafting Pettigrew.

At this point, I don't see why people can't just set a predraft pick in the morning and that would get us at least through a round a day no matter what happens. If each league did that, they all would be done before the first game of the season. There are no uber stard left to pick from anyway and the core of each team's points are already on the roster.

I don't see the big issue if the drafts run slightly beyond opening day. All 5 drafts are at a pace to finish before the first Sunday game even without a timer. Maybe/maybe not will they finish by Thursday night. If we did run up against the first game of the year, we could also make a provision that no one from the teams on the field could be drafted past kickoff. That would still give us two more full days to wrap up the drafts.

If people are insisting that timers go on, I will do it, but then people are going to get even more peeved if they miss a pick. I'm not sure too many people are going to want to be the one stuck with Leshore.

I just don't get why someone would sign up for one of these things and not even check in to the site for 2 1/2 days (ETA: weekdays) during the draft. I hope radballs is OK.

As stated many times in many places, the problem with having a timer is that in the past it made things worse and not better. All hell would break loose when someone missed a pick.If they got an auto pick, that guy was normally someone already out for the season. If they didn't get an auto pick, they got a player instead, but usually someone they didn't want (or someone that made tham have an illegal roster). Invariable, if they wanted to substitute another player, one of the teams that already made a pick after that pick wanted the player the first team threw back.Several times, someone missed a pick and screwed with the pre-draft function, meaning other teams didn't get someone because it changed who was available for the pre draft picks.In short, historically missing picks has been a nightmare. I've had guys drop out of drafts altogether that missed picks at the turn and got stuck with two auto picks for guys that were never going to be on the field at all the whole season.With some leagues in the past having these types of issues, it messed with the competitive balance of the leagues. For example, last year a team ended up with 3 TEs (which is legal) but before they took the last TE they had already taken a RB or a WR as a flex (which would be illegal). So the last TE had to be dropped. Well, that TE was Pettigrew and it was three rounds after he was picked. Well, almost every team wanted to pick him. But I wasn't going to let him get picked up at that point, and the only fair think to do was ask every team since he was picked if they wanted to drop the guy they did pick for Pettigrew and essentially reset the draft for 3 rounds when the draft was almost done. That made no sense, so I basically ground ruled out any team from drafting Pettigrew.At this point, I don't see why people can't just set a predraft pick in the morning and that would get us at least through a round a day no matter what happens. If each league did that, they all would be done before the first game of the season. There are no uber stard left to pick from anyway and the core of each team's points are already on the roster.I don't see the big issue if the drafts run slightly beyond opening day. All 5 drafts are at a pace to finish before the first Sunday game even without a timer. Maybe/maybe not will they finish by Thursday night. If we did run up against the first game of the year, we could also make a provision that no one from the teams on the field could be drafted past kickoff. That would still give us two more full days to wrap up the drafts.If people are insisting that timers go on, I will do it, but then people are going to get even more peeved if they miss a pick. I'm not sure too many people are going to want to be the one stuck with Leshore.
David - Is it possible in MFL to skip a drafter who times out and they can make up the pick at any time? If not, as you stated, the timer creates more problems than it's worth. Also don't want this to get to involved for you and you decide to fold the leagues next year.

I believe there is a way to skip a pick if the timer expires (ie clock expires, pick is skipped), but only I could make a replacement pick.

You can't have two people able to draft at the same time. Maybe that is the way to go and the person needing to make up a pick can send me 3-5 options to use as a replacement pick and I can give them whoever is left from their list once I can make a replacement pick. Certainly not ideal, but better than having everyone wait a day to get a pick in.

I believe there is a way to skip a pick if the timer expires (ie clock expires, pick is skipped), but only I could make a replacement pick. You can't have two people able to draft at the same time. Maybe that is the way to go and the person needing to make up a pick can send me 3-5 options to use as a replacement pick and I can give them whoever is left from their list once I can make a replacement pick. Certainly not ideal, but better than having everyone wait a day to get a pick in.
Whatever makes it easier on you.

OK David, explanations understood. When it gets down to the time I have to leave, next Tues or Wed, I'll pre-draft the rest of my picks in such a way as to be certain I'm covered and I'll have a legal roster. I'll also probably have a fall back drafter ready in case anything gets screwed up and a pre-draft doesn't kick in properly.

OK David, explanations understood. When it gets down to the time I have to leave, next Tues or Wed, I'll pre-draft the rest of my picks in such a way as to be certain I'm covered and I'll have a legal roster. I'll also probably have a fall back drafter ready in case anything gets screwed up and a pre-draft doesn't kick in properly.
I'm in the same boat. Next Tuesday late morning until Wednesday afternoon are a dead period for me.

At this point, I don't see why people can't just set a predraft pick in the morning and that would get us at least through a round a day no matter what happens. If each league did that, they all would be done before the first game of the season. There are no uber stard left to pick from anyway and the core of each team's points are already on the roster.
So, uh, David, how is that morning predraft pick working out? (You're on the clock in A2).

So, uh, David, how is that morning predraft pick working out? (You're on the clock in A2).
SERIOUSLY????I was on the clock and made a pick in THIRTY FOUR MINUTES. I wasn't even on the clock for a half hour before you posted. Talk about a tough room . . . .I should ban you for that. Of course, I don't remember how to actually do that, so consider yourself lucky.

SERIOUSLY????I was on the clock and made a pick in THIRTY FOUR MINUTES. I wasn't even on the clock for a half hour before you posted. Talk about a tough room . . . .I should ban you for that. Of course, I don't remember how to actually do that, so consider yourself lucky.
I'm just saying, you suggested everyone do it and you didn't do it yourself. I would love to get through a round a day, and you're right that we mostly should be able to pre-draft at this point (most people are close to roster-locked). But yesterday we made 5 picks.

Users who are viewing this thread