What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Demarco Murray (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Did a search and their isn't a thread devoted just to him.

Last night he saw his first action.

- 7 carries

- 32 yards

- 4.6 yds per carry

- 1 reception

- 7 receiving yards

He was playing against second and third stringers but seemed solid for the limited first time.

Thought I'd open this up becuase I think it is likely that as the season progress' we will have reason to add to this thread.

Any observations on his first action?

I would expect him to do well against second and third stringers. Cowboys need to know how he'll do with the 1s.

Felix Jones is having an awesome camp and is extremely skilled but Murray is someone you have to keep an eye on as a hand cuff.

The Cowboys were high on Murray and although he has battled injury this camp he has a very solid all around game and will get the first crack at being effective if Felix was to go down with injury.

Felix is in line for a break out year, and Murray in redraft only has any play if there is an injury.

Felix Jones is having an awesome camp and is extremely skilled but Murray is someone you have to keep an eye on as a hand cuff.The Cowboys were high on Murray and although he has battled injury this camp he has a very solid all around game and will get the first crack at being effective if Felix was to go down with injury.Felix is in line for a break out year, and Murray in redraft only has any play if there is an injury.
He will get spot duty and the odd series to spell Felix. I still believe Choice will be traded or cut.

One of the best dynasty stashes in FF, IMO. The Cowboys were super-high on this kid & so am I.

Much, much better prospect than most people realize. He'll be a better pro than college player. He's a do-all RB with a lot of talent.

Felix Jones is having an awesome camp and is extremely skilled but Murray is someone you have to keep an eye on as a hand cuff.The Cowboys were high on Murray and although he has battled injury this camp he has a very solid all around game and will get the first crack at being effective if Felix was to go down with injury.Felix is in line for a break out year, and Murray in redraft only has any play if there is an injury.
He will get spot duty and the odd series to spell Felix. I still believe Choice will be traded or cut.
Last year both Darren McFadden and Peyton Hillis blew up so maybe its time for the third Razor back RB to break out this year and the early buzz has been positive for Felix Jones. He hasn't really missed too much action but the Boys haven't used him much, he only had one game last year when they gave him more than sixteen carries. I'm sorta puzzled on Felix in that since Garrett hasn't used him much and that has resulted in two things that jump out to anyone with a fantasy eye. One, he has remained relatively healthy so if they use him more then it would be logical to assume any injury risk would tend to go up. Two, he only had one rushing TD last year so if he gets more carries he should score more.Bringing it back to Murray -Of the rookies I took notice of before the draft I liked Ingram and I saw something in Murray that I liked. He has the injury label and considering he missed camp and the first two preseason games he hasn't done much to shake that so far. I still think he is positioned nicely. I believe he will find a role in the offense and I may be overstepping but I think he could possibly be a goal line option if Jones has trouble punching it in.

he had 71 catches his senior season. seems they should be able to work him into spots if hes actually capable.

he had 71 catches his senior season. seems they should be able to work him into spots if hes actually capable.
I have to give Felix Jones a lot of credit for dramatically improving his pass receiving skills. His rookie season he only had two grabs.Second year he improved with 19 receptions.Last year he made a significant improvement and had 48 receptions so I have to really give him credit.I don't think Murray would be much of a threat to cut into the third down pass receiving RB role with the Cowboys but if gets a shot he should be a fine receiving RB. I feel that Felix has that role locked up right now but he only had one rushing TD on 185 carries and he only had one receiving TD on his 48 receptions. That is why I think it is possible Murray could wind up as the goal line RB this year.

agreed, i dont see him cutting into felix's pie, but there should be some scraps for him utilize. proly not fantasy relevant if felix is what they say he is.

I have to give Felix Jones a lot of credit for dramatically improving his pass receiving skills. His rookie season he only had two grabs.Second year he improved with 19 receptions.Last year he made a significant improvement and had 48 receptions so I have to really give him credit.I don't think Murray would be much of a threat to cut into the third down pass receiving RB role with the Cowboys but if gets a shot he should be a fine receiving RB. I feel that Felix has that role locked up right now but he only had one rushing TD on 185 carries and he only had one receiving TD on his 48 receptions. That is why I think it is possible Murray could wind up as the goal line RB this year.
Murray has the ability to be Meggett or Kevin Faulk like and be the Cowboys 3rd down back for the next decade. He's an excellent receiving back and I thought he made some impressive blocks in college. I thought he was so uniquely experienced and NFL ready for a rook. There have been so many teams in NFL history that pull the starter to put in another on 3rd down. This read almost like wishful thinking on a Felix FF owner's part. I know you're a long time Cowboy follower so, please hit me back with a reply.

Can any homer or in the know FBG confirm that DeMarco has surpassed Choice on the depth chart?? Choice looked solid last year.

Can any homer or in the know FBG confirm that DeMarco has surpassed Choice on the depth chart?? Choice looked solid last year.
I don't think he's played enough for them to state it as such.I think both Oklahoma schools put out great (prospect) third down backs this year and that their teams penciled them in as such when they drafted them. DeMarco could very well be more than that, but (among other things) 72 receptions had to catch their eye.

I don't think he's played enough for them to state it as such.I think both Oklahoma schools put out great (prospect) third down backs this year and that their teams penciled them in as such when they drafted them. DeMarco could very well be more than that, but (among other things) 72 receptions had to catch their eye.
I would say this is accurate.Choice is not in Garretts good books and on the last year of his contract.Choice has been vocal with displeasure about not getting enough touches.He is NOT in the long term plan.Murray is number 2.

Murray has the ability to be Meggett or Kevin Faulk like and be the Cowboys 3rd down back for the next decade. He's an excellent receiving back and I thought he made some impressive blocks in college. I thought he was so uniquely experienced and NFL ready for a rook. There have been so many teams in NFL history that pull the starter to put in another on 3rd down. This read almost like wishful thinking on a Felix FF owner's part. I know you're a long time Cowboy follower so, please hit me back with a reply.
hes listed as much bigger than meggett and faulk. hes 6 foot and 213 at the combine.

I would say this is accurate.Choice is not in Garretts good books and on the last year of his contract.Choice has been vocal with displeasure about not getting enough touches.He is NOT in the long term plan.Murray is number 2.
I agree with this. Though its a bit sketchy given how much time Murray has missed in camp. Thursday should be interesting to get more idea of how he looks, despite going against backups again.

Barrign a significant injury to Felix, he's irrelevant. There is simply nothing he does that is complementarily different (like a thunder to Jones' lightning) or that he does better than Felix.

He'll waste space on your roster barring injury.

'Shutout said:
Barrign a significant injury to Felix, he's irrelevant. There is simply nothing he does that is complementarily different (like a thunder to Jones' lightning) or that he does better than Felix.He'll waste space on your roster barring injury.
How confident are you that Felix can stand up to an increased workload?And assuming a similar number of rushes in Dallas again this season, what happens to the 243 team rushes that DIDN'T go Jones' way last season (Felix had 185 last year)?I'm certainly not telling people to go out and invest heavily in Murray. However, I don't understand why several posts are so adamant in declaring Murray "irrelevant" or nothing more than an occasional breather for Felix. A lot of the interest in Murray directly stems from Felix's lack of career TD's (8 in 36 games), low number of carries, prior injury history. With his career high carries being last season's 185, I think discussion/interest in Murray is certainly warranted. Especially with Barber's departure and Choice appearing to be on the way out...

Last edited by a moderator:
'Shutout said:
Barrign a significant injury to Felix, he's irrelevant. There is simply nothing he does that is complementarily different (like a thunder to Jones' lightning) or that he does better than Felix.He'll waste space on your roster barring injury.
Felix hasnt been able to stay healthy for an entire year in a timeshare in the last few years. Why should he now when he will have a bigger workload than ever, including college???

'Shutout said:
Felix hasnt been able to stay healthy for an entire year in a timeshare in the last few years. Why should he now when he will have a bigger workload than ever, including college???
I certainly share your concern, but I believe Felix did appear in ALL 16 games last season. Maybe he's finally found the right conditioning/playing weight/comfort zone/maturity level/or whatever to manage a RB1 workload over a full NFL season. Sounds like he's made believers out of a lot of people this offseason/preseason.I'll be keeping an eye on Murray though, and look forward to seeing how the Cowboys work him into the offense this season. I think he has a great opportunity. Especially considering Jones' less than stellar durability history, Barber gone to Chicago, and Choice looking to make an exit of his own.

'cvnpoka said:
'Bri said:
hes listed as much bigger than meggett and faulk. hes 6 foot and 213 at the combine.
I know he's bigger, but there's something about him. It's not just receiving or blocking ability; he has game intelligence and anticipation that makes him seem wise in a sense that a team would find considerable value in that. And when he catches the ball on a screen pass and turns up field, he is either ready to lay an awesome hard shoulder down or has a unique way of slipping underneath a would be tackler. That alone makes him an instant top 3rd down back IMO. So many RBs are so busy watching the ball come into their hands that they get caught by a defender bearing down on them. He is oh so ready for it and thrives then. Something a bit weird, I'd swear he's caught a dozen passes diving and laying out for them. It's hard to forget them especially when it's a RB.Some college RBs like DeMarco have this lateral smooth slide that works great in tight places in college but about gets them killed in the NFL. I want to see DeMarco "get his hands dirty" in the NFL before I predict he can do well in tight spaces. His lateral moves could make him a special, top NFL runner. It doesn't usually work that way but instead is a habit NFL RB coaches have to break.

'Shutout said:
How confident are you that Felix can stand up to an increased workload?And assuming a similar number of rushes in Dallas again this season, what happens to the 243 team rushes that DIDN'T go Jones' way last season (Felix had 185 last year)?I'm certainly not telling people to go out and invest heavily in Murray. However, I don't understand why several posts are so adamant in declaring Murray "irrelevant" or nothing more than an occasional breather for Felix. A lot of the interest in Murray directly stems from Felix's lack of career TD's (8 in 36 games), low number of carries, prior injury history. With his career high carries being last season's 185, I think discussion/interest in Murray is certainly warranted. Especially with Barber's departure and Choice appearing to be on the way out...
Its because things HAVE changed in Dallas. How Garrett used him after becoming the HC is not the same way he used him even when he was calling the offense. Jones has also changed and he appears to be a lot better now than he was even at the end of the season last year.So that leaves Choice, who is still actually with the team contrary to a lot of assumptions. He offers a better complement/contrast than Murray does.So that leaves Murray, who is a walking example of all the same things people criticize Felix of when they mention prior injury histories. Why is it that people will talk about Felix having injuries ad naseum and never mention how much time Murray missed against players that were not as big/fast/strong? So that leaves Murray who is also very similar to felix, not a contrast. Teams usually want guys that can do different things IF THEY PLAN TO USE THEM BOTH. So that leaves Murray as a guy they likely see more useful with returns.All those things just seem to add up to him being a very small part of the offense barring a major injury and then, even if that happened, I would think its highly likely that the cowboys would go out and take a look at a guy like Slaton if he is released to go along with choice.

'Shutout said:
Its because things HAVE changed in Dallas. How Garrett used him after becoming the HC is not the same way he used him even when he was calling the offense. Jones has also changed and he appears to be a lot better now than he was even at the end of the season last year.So that leaves Choice, who is still actually with the team contrary to a lot of assumptions. He offers a better complement/contrast than Murray does.So that leaves Murray, who is a walking example of all the same things people criticize Felix of when they mention prior injury histories. Why is it that people will talk about Felix having injuries ad naseum and never mention how much time Murray missed against players that were not as big/fast/strong? So that leaves Murray who is also very similar to felix, not a contrast. Teams usually want guys that can do different things IF THEY PLAN TO USE THEM BOTH. So that leaves Murray as a guy they likely see more useful with returns.All those things just seem to add up to him being a very small part of the offense barring a major injury and then, even if that happened, I would think its highly likely that the cowboys would go out and take a look at a guy like Slaton if he is released to go along with choice.
I agree with you that Murray's game is similar to Jones'. Both are elusive speedsters, and both are of similar size and stature, although I believe Murray was already over 220# coming into the league and Jones has had to bulk up a bit to get there. So I get the argument that they are essentially the same skillset and not going to be used in a way that would contrast (thunder/lightning), and that Choice would be more ideal if that is how the Cowboys want to use their running game.If it were up to me, Choice and Jones would be used exclusively, and barring injury Murray would be no more than Jones' backup. I think that is a logical approach and Choice is up to the task. Unfortunately, that's not something I've been hearing, and I'm not confident that Jones is suited to being a 20+ touch RB per game.So if the Jones/Murray skillset is the one they want within the offensive scheme, then I would imagine there will be some work there for Murray as well. Obviously a lot of this is going to have to be flushed out during the regular season. But I don't doubt Murray's talent either, and if Jones/Murray offer the skills at RB that Dallas wants on the field, then I believe Murray could certainly get some meaningful work this year. Therefore, I believe Murray is worthy of discussion and either a roster spot or a free agent pickup depending on league/roster sizes. If Choice surfaces as an important piece of the running game, then Murray's value takes a HUGE hit (barring a Felix Jones injury).I just don't know know/understand what to make of Choice's presence at this point. If Choice gets 10+ touches in week one, then I'll agree that Murray appears to be nothing more than a Jones handcuff, but IMO some RB not named Felix Jones is going to be getting enough touches in an explosive Dallas offense to be fantasy relevant in 2011. However, I'm still trying to figure out if that RB is Murray or Choice...

'Shutout said:
Didn't he play every game last season?

Not a bad last game of the preseason for Murray.

- 10 rushes for 32 yards

- 4 receptions for 64 yards

14 combined touches for 96 total yards

Not bad.

Not a bad last game of the preseason for Murray.- 10 rushes for 32 yards- 4 receptions for 64 yards14 combined touches for 96 total yardsNot bad.
Only downside to that is it is telling that if the Cowboys are willing to play him that much in this game then they don't have immediate plans for him in Week one (or else they would be keeping him out/limited to ensure he didn't get hurt). On a related note, it seems that is good news for Tate/Ward owners as Houston did not play those guys either.

Not a bad last game of the preseason for Murray.

- 10 rushes for 32 yards

- 4 receptions for 64 yards

14 combined touches for 96 total yards

Not bad.
Only downside to that is it is telling that if the Cowboys are willing to play him that much in this game then they don't have immediate plans for him in Week one (or else they would be keeping him out/limited to ensure he didn't get hurt). On a related note, it seems that is good news for Tate/Ward owners as Houston did not play those guys either.
Not. He was out most of camp. He needs the reps badly.

I really hope they drop Choice, but if they're going to keep Tanner then I could see them holding four. I just can't see how they feel ok doing that with areas that need depth more then RB.

We'll see, but Murray looks good enough to cut Choice loose.

More on Murray and FWIW Phillip Tanner supposedly made the roster so Choice is either third or out.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-rb-p.html
Wow, Choice is definitely on the bubble.From the blurb above:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: RB Phillip Tanner (Kimball) has made the team

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said on the Ch. 11/CBS telecast tonight of the Cowboys-Miami Dolphins preseason game that running back Phillip Tanner of Kimball will make the final 53-man roster.

Jones was asked how can you tell a guy who has done everything Tanner has in the preseason he's not going to make the team, and Jones said, "You don't." Then he was asked, so he's on the team? "You got him," Jones said.

"He's special. His coach says, 'I've never seen a kid like this.' You've never seen anybody who takes every note, that tries every way in the world he can to get better plus he's talented. I don't know that I have the courage. I'm too interested in the Dallas Cowboys. We may have four backs."

Jones had said previously in the preseason that he'd only have three running backs on the final 53-man roster. He now says there "may" be four. That means Tashard Choice is on the bubble with the Cowboys having to get down to 53 players by Saturday afternoon. Choice didn't make the trip to Miami with a bruised knee and missed most of the preseason with a calf injury. Third-round draft pick DeMarco Murray was very impressive against Miami tonight, and Felix Jones is the starter.

Jones said he was pleased with Murray, who started the game by taking a screen pass 48 yards down the sideline.

"He did for us tonight what he did at Oklahoma," Jones said. "His hands are his big thing. He's a power runner with a lot of burst. You saw it all out there tonight. He's a guy who had three practices, came in and you saw how he played last week. We're really pleased with that. He's going to help us this year."
If Jones or Choice had played against Miami it would have meant something completely different than Murray who has never played a down in the NFL before the third preseason game, he had never been involved in an off-season program, and he only had a few carries in his first game, he simply needed the work and the coaches needed to see him in action to evaluate him and he produced solid numbers.Now this information could mean he would assume the #2 RB role and he's a glimmer away from the starting job.

for all the junk Jones receives, he is, occasionally, far more informative for us FF folks than most coaches. Sure it doesn't mean it's a decision we all love, but here's something to work on that we've been waiting to hear.

Yeah it looks more and more likely that Dallas will roster 4 RBs. I love/hate Jerry Jones. A blurb from him

I'll start with Tashard because Tashard, in the few plays we've seen him in the offseason, ran with serious authority. Very impressive.At that position, with what our expectations are this year, we don't want to come up short with our decision making and depth. Or come up short if we do get Felix nicked or if Murray is not available to us for some reason. That thing could really be a critical part to a ballgame, which could be your ticket into contention and the playoffs.With all that being said, we're going to go long there. We haven't had our meeting, but I'll tell you, we're going to go long there, because Tanner has just played too well. He's an exceptional, exceptional person. We don't know that we've seen too many come in and be as willing to do any and everything that it takes to get better and better and better. Plus he's got some exceptional ability. His innate running ability. Patience as he lets his blocks form for him or he lets his opportunity develop for him. That's not a coached thing, that's a given thing. A God given thing.

Exactly. He isn't a COP/scatback type. He's got the size and all around skill set to be a 3-down feature back/bell cow. I think people get Kendall Hunter and Murray confused. Hunter is a little guy (though actually more in the Rice/MJD mold) and could get unfairly typecast as a COP back, but Murray doesn't look the part at all. Murray may get some 3rd down touches, but it'll be to spell Jones and because he looks to be a solid receiver and blocker...which certainly come in handy on 3rd down. But he isn't a COP niche type. In fact, I think if Felix has added weight, then the two of them are probably pretty close in physical dimensions.And keep in mind that Arian Foster was an injury concern coming out of college too.

I don't think there's a huge difference in skill between Jones, Murray and Choice. What I mean by that is they all have the necessary skill to be 3 down backs. They can all run the ball inside, off tackle and outside. They can all catch the screens and short to intermediate stuff. They can all do a decent job at blitz pick-up, though some more work is probably needed. They aren't all equal to each other in those three categories, but they all have enough skill in all three to be effective on all downs in most game situations.The difference in the three is in the amount of raw physical ability they apply to those skills. I think Felix has the most in terms of game changing ability, but Murray may not be a slouch either. Choice is probably the least talented of the three, but obviously he has enough to play the game and be useful to NFL teams.Even though they don't look as similar to each other, you see this same type of thing with D.Williams and J.Stewart. You don't pull one for the other in a specialized role situation. You give one a series and then the other. Or one finishes a big run so you put in the other to give a breather.That's the way I see it playing out. I think it's a handcuff situation unless Felix looks to be wearing down. If that happens, then I think it becomes an alternating series or breather type arrangement rather than a designated 3rd down or COP situation.

I'm not in the know but the Dallas fan in our 10-team took DeMarco in the 15th, Choice went undrafted.
This. Depth charts are still in flux because it's been a short preseason. Think about the reps these guys have lost with no OTA's, etc. So sitting guys for modest injuries really is robbing the teams of important evaluation reps by which to judge these guys. That means teams may be a bit more uncertain and unsettled heading into the season...but unfortunately for us, our fantasy drafts won't wait.So it's a situation where you kinda ignore the current depth chart and draft the guy that passes the eyeball test or has the most upside tea leaves steeping in his cup.If I had to choose, I'd take Murray as the handcuff because I think he's more talented than Choice and I figure over the course of the season that talent will put him in front of Choice.

Per Roto

Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray are considered the only two Cowboys running backs certain to be active on game days.

Unlike Tashard Choice, Murray and Phillip Tanner will help out on special teams. Choice believes carries will be scarce for the third back. "Only really two guys play," Choice said. "That's just the NFL. That's how it is."

Does this mean he's locked in as the #2 back? Interesting blurb.

Debating on handcuffing Murray to Felix. Is Murray a better handcuff to have than Harrison to Best? I guess with either we are not really sure who the #2 is.

Jones needs to be cuffed. It looks like the #2 is Murray. He had a stellar preseason when they called his number. Any homer insight?

Can anyone tell me what Felix's contract looks like??? There has to be a some way to see every players contract, at least the length of them...or am I incorrect. Been playing FF for 20+ yrs but this is only my 2nd year in a dynasty and I would love to know of a site that would give my access to this info...is it as easy as going to the "team page"?????

Can anyone tell me what Felix's contract looks like??? There has to be a some way to see every players contract, at least the length of them...or am I incorrect. Been playing FF for 20+ yrs but this is only my 2nd year in a dynasty and I would love to know of a site that would give my access to this info...is it as easy as going to the "team page"?????
Rotoworld has this info on their player pages. Hit the "view contract details" link. Jones is a FA in 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray was an early 2nd round pick, he is the primary backup to have as long as he stays healthy. Felix has never stayed healthy for an entire season so it wouldn't be surprising on my end to see Murray become the feature back at times this year.

Users who are viewing this thread