What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (6 Viewers)

Dions deal i three years i believe. 4 years at the most as a late round pick. Im trying to stash him where i can. . .

Dions deal i three years i believe. 4 years at the most as a late round pick. Im trying to stash him where i can. . .
pretty sure all rookie deals are 4 years now. Wasn't that part of the new CBA/rookie pay scale?McCoy is a free agent in 2013 FWIW so he could get his shot as soon as then depending on how much Shady asks for...

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty sure all rookie deals are 4 years now. Wasn't that part of the new CBA/rookie pay scale?McCoy is a free agent in 2013 FWIW so he could get his shot as soon as then depending on how much Shady asks for...
I think they're 3 years with a fourth year team option that calls for a significant raise (kind of like how franchise tag pay is computed)....but I could be mis-remembering.

I had it wrong. From NFL.com:

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION SYSTEM:New entry-level compensation system including the following elements: » All drafted players sign four-year contracts.» Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts.» Maximum total compensation per draft class.» Limited contract terms.» Strong anti-holdout rules.» Clubs have option to extend the contract of a first-round draftee for a fifth year, based on agreed-upon tender amounts.
It's the fifth year that's the option year for drafted players.

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION SYSTEM:

New entry-level compensation system including the following elements:

» All drafted players sign four-year contracts.

» Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts.

» Maximum total compensation per draft class.

» Limited contract terms.

» Strong anti-holdout rules.

» Clubs have option to extend the contract of a first-round draftee for a fifth year, based on agreed-upon tender amounts.
reads to me like that is only for 1st rounders...

ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION SYSTEM:

New entry-level compensation system including the following elements:

» All drafted players sign four-year contracts.

» Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts.

» Maximum total compensation per draft class.

» Limited contract terms.

» Strong anti-holdout rules.

» Clubs have option to extend the contract of a first-round draftee for a fifth year, based on agreed-upon tender amounts.
reads to me like that is only for 1st rounders...
wow...I really need a cup of coffee! :bag:

Doesn't matter. Dion already passed Brown. (Think the latter would have been released soon)

Harrison will take over Brown's role. Doing nothing (3rd back / gameday inactive / Shady insurance)

7th round pick alone is probably more than the Eagles thought of Brown at this point.

Doesn't matter. Dion already passed Brown. (Think the latter would have been released soon)Harrison will take over Brown's role. Doing nothing (3rd back / gameday inactive / Shady insurance)7th round pick alone is probably more than the Eagles thought of Brown at this point.
I think Harrison filled in well for them last year, he may get more work short term than people think, at least in certain situations. But, I'm not sure the trade does anything for any of their values, redraft or dynasty. Harrison's dynasty value goes from little to almost none, I suppose. I keep hoping Andy Reid will see the light as far as what the running game can do. McCoy did have 28 carries this week. But, he had 24 carries in week 3 and then 9 the next week.

I believe Harrison plays special teams, while Brown does not. If that is the case, I think this bodes well for Lewis.

The writing was on the wall with the Ronnie Brown trade, but the Eagles have officially moved Lewis up the depth chart. Time to grab him in keeper leagues and even in redraft as a handcuff to McCoy. Plus Shady McCoy's contract is up at end of 2012. Eagles have a strong history of not signing 'middle aged' free agents to BIG money contracts (which Shady would certainly want and deserve) when they have youthful talent on the depth chart behind them.

from cbs

Eagles coach Andy Reid said he tried to trade RB Ronnie Brown because rookieDion Lewis had moved ahead of him on the depth chart and Brown would have played more with the Lions. The trade with Detroit for RB Jerome Harrison was nullified when Harrison was diagnosed with a brain tumor

(Updated 10/26/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

Lewis was a standout RB in college and it was a big reason Philadelphia drafted him in the 2011 draft. He might one day make his mark in the NFL as well, but it is not expected to happen in Week 8 against the Cowboys with LeSean McCoy healthy. Although, Lewis is probably now a viable handcuff Fantasy option for McCoy owners since he has moved up the depth chart.

The writing was on the wall with the Ronnie Brown trade, but the Eagles have officially moved Lewis up the depth chart. Time to grab him in keeper leagues and even in redraft as a handcuff to McCoy. Plus Shady McCoy's contract is up at end of 2012. Eagles have a strong history of not signing 'middle aged' free agents to BIG money contracts (which Shady would certainly want and deserve) when they have youthful talent on the depth chart behind them.

from cbs

Eagles coach Andy Reid said he tried to trade RB Ronnie Brown because rookieDion Lewis had moved ahead of him on the depth chart and Brown would have played more with the Lions. The trade with Detroit for RB Jerome Harrison was nullified when Harrison was diagnosed with a brain tumor

(Updated 10/26/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

Lewis was a standout RB in college and it was a big reason Philadelphia drafted him in the 2011 draft. He might one day make his mark in the NFL as well, but it is not expected to happen in Week 8 against the Cowboys with LeSean McCoy healthy. Although, Lewis is probably now a viable handcuff Fantasy option for McCoy owners since he has moved up the depth chart.
McCoy certainly won't be middle aged in '13. He is a mere 23 now.

from cbs

(Updated 10/26/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

which would make him 25-29 or 30 when he is inking- playing out his new 4 or 5 year deal. That's 'middle aged' as far as NFL rb's are concerned.

from cbs

(Updated 10/26/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

Thanks for posting this. Those of us owning both in dynasty appreciate the updates. Just makes the situation for the next few years a lot less murky.

from cbs

(Updated 10/26/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

which would make him 25-29 or 30 when he is inking- playing out his new 4 or 5 year deal. That's 'middle aged' as far as NFL rb's are concerned.
He would be 25 when he signed a new contract. This "news" from cbs (which isn't news, but one "reporter's" take on the situation) suggests that they don't sign middle-aged FA's, not that they don't sign FA's who will, AT SOME TIME, be "middle-aged" at the end of their contract. Besides that, any contract would surely be heavily back-loaded, letting the Eagles re-structure/cut McCoy if/when his contract got too big.Owning Lewis as a back-up/insurance for McCoy is a good idea, but holding him with the expectation that he will take over for McCoy (barring injury) is unrealistic.

'Bayhawks said:
'Hipple said:
'Sup_Yo said:
'Hipple said:

from cbs

(Updated 10/26/2011).

Fantasy Analysis

He would be 25 when he signed a new contract. This "news" from cbs (which isn't news, but one "reporter's" take on the situation) suggests that they don't sign middle-aged FA's, not that they don't sign FA's who will, AT SOME TIME, be "middle-aged" at the end of their contract. Besides that, any contract would surely be heavily back-loaded, letting the Eagles re-structure/cut McCoy if/when his contract got too big.Owning Lewis as a back-up/insurance for McCoy is a good idea, but holding him with the expectation that he will take over for McCoy (barring injury) is unrealistic.
The "news" you are referring to was my take on the situation. That top few sentences is all me. And I am not saying they won't resign McCoy. He is fairly young and awesome etc. But n the past when they have had a very talented and relatively 'cheap' player backing up one who was about to enter fee agency, they have usually taken the economically prudent approach and let someone else pay him the big money/long deal contract. I'm not an Eagles fan, and my perception might be incorrect. I feel there are bigger eagles fans than I who could offer a much more factually based analysis on this phenomena. I never said he would take over for McCoy, just that they might hand him the reins rather than pay a RB a multi year big $$ deal to McCoy based on their history.

I never said he would take over for McCoy, just that they might hand him the reins rather than pay a RB a multi year big $ deal to McCoy based on their history.
kept Westbrook around for quite awhile? McCoy may even be better...
IIRC Westbrook had to hold out for months to even get that. Plus, there wasn't anyone behind Westbrook who they though could step in. It was like Reno Mahe and Lamar Gordon. They certainly let Ricky Watters go when he still had a few years in the tank but wanted big money. :shrug:

I never said he would take over for McCoy, just that they might hand him the reins rather than pay a RB a multi year big $ deal to McCoy based on their history.
IIRC Westbrook had to hold out for months to even get that. Plus, there wasn't anyone behind Westbrook who they though could step in. It was like Reno Mahe and Lamar Gordon. They certainly let Ricky Watters go when he still had a few years in the tank but wanted big money. :shrug:
they signed him to 2 extensions. The one in 2005 was the holdout. At that time they thought Ryan Moats was pretty good and Westbrook had really only 1 great season under his belt. Ryan Moats was a guy they liked when they had just drafted him. McCoy's early success blows Westbrook's out of the water.different people were running the show back when Watters had issues. Who can blame them for letting that primadonna go?

different people were running the show back when Watters had issues. Who can blame them for letting that primadonna go?

He had 3 straight years of over 1200 yards rushing and over 1590 total yards and was well on his way to a 4th when hurt.just saying :D

The "news" you are referring to was my take on the situation. That top few sentences is all me.
Okay-my bad, I mis-read the earlier post.

I never said he would take over for McCoy, just that they might hand him the reins rather than pay a RB a multi year big $$ deal
That is just two different ways of saying the same thing:he [Lewis] would take over for McCoy=they [Eagles] might hand him [Lewis] the reins rather than pay a RB a multi-year big $$ deal.

Either way you phrase, you're suggesting that the Eagles would give Lewis McCoy's job (based on money). That won't happen.

They certainly let Ricky Watters go when he still had a few years in the tank but wanted big money. :shrug:
That was 14 years ago, Reid wasn't the HC, the GM and other football execs were probably differnt, and Watters was 29 years old when he was asking for a big contact, not 25 like McCoy will be when he's a FA. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The "news" you are referring to was my take on the situation. That top few sentences is all me.
Okay-my bad, I mis-read the earlier post.

I never said he would take over for McCoy, just that they might hand him the reins rather than pay a RB a multi year big $ deal
That is just two different ways of saying the same thing:he [Lewis] would take over for McCoy=they [Eagles] might hand him [Lewis] the reins rather than pay a RB a multi-year big $ deal.

Either way you phrase, you're suggesting that the Eagles would give Lewis McCoy's job (based on money). That won't happen.
In that context I meant take over for him while he is still under contract. I still do think the possibility of them not resigning mccoy and handing lewis the reins is a possibility. The kid looks explosive.What makes this a little less likely frankly might be the new salary cap, as teams aren't going to be as strapped for cap room without the massive rookie deals of the past.

Heard them mention a car accident during the broadcast. I assume that would be the reason that he is inactive. Anyone know how serious the accident was and if Lewis is okay?

A team spokesman said Lewis' mishap occurred Sunday afternoon. He was "shaken up" by the incident, but not seriously hurt. Lewis participated in some warmups before the game, then was placed on the inactive list.
Too bad he missed this one. He would've gotten some work. At least he's ok.

A team spokesman said Lewis' mishap occurred Sunday afternoon. He was "shaken up" by the incident, but not seriously hurt. Lewis participated in some warmups before the game, then was placed on the inactive list.
Too bad he missed this one. He would've gotten some work. At least he's ok.
Thanks for the info. :thumbup:And agreed on all accounts. Would have been nice to see him get a few series here in the fourth quarter--hard to evaluate a guy in season when he gets only 1 or 2 touches per game.

Does anyone think he'll see some additional pt this weekend with Vick out?

Michael Vick - QB - Eagles

The Wilmington News Journal reports Michael Vick (ribs) has been ruled out for Week 11 against the Giants.

Vick is missing from practice again on Friday. Vince Young will make his first start in almost a year after taking the first-team reps in mid-week practices. Look for more of a run-heavy approach than usual from coach Andy Reid. Vick's status for Week 12 versus the Patriots is up in the air.

Bump, with McCoy limited in practice with a Toe injury (nothing to serious). . Anyone have any additional thoughts on Lewis. You picking him up in redraft, dynasty?

Not because of the injury to Shady, but I have him stashed in dynasty just in case. 20 man rosters - 14 team league ... so pretty deep as far as who is available.

12 carries for 58 yards and 1 TD today in place of McCoy.

I don't put a lot of stock in week 17 stats, but it's nice to see him getting an opportunity and performing well.

Philly adding more rookie rb's has to be a sign that they do not think Lewis is a bonafide backup should McCoy get hurt. Reid indicated he would like to lighten McCoy's workload a bit this coming season.

Anybody see Lewis beating the new competition coming his way?

I don't see it that way. If you look at the Eagles under Reid, they have always tried to have a two-back system with a smaller back and a bigger back. Almost all of their major acquisitions at the position clearly fall into one category or another.

Big backs: Buckhalter, Hunt, R Brown, Polk, B Brown

Scat backs: Westbrook, Moats, McCoy, Lewis

I think Lewis is the backup to McCoy with Polk and B Brown competing for the hammer position vacated by Ronnie Brown.

There is always competition in the NFL and if Lewis can't beat out guys like Polk and Brown then he was never going to be a player anyway.

The Eagles did not draft anybody very early so this might be a sign they felt OK at the RB spot. Brown is gone so it would be expected they would need to bring in bodies at the position. I would think Lewis his at least as good a shot as anyone else to land the top backup spot in Philadelphia.

Philly adding more rookie rb's has to be a sign that they do not think Lewis is a bonafide backup should McCoy get hurt. Reid indicated he would like to lighten McCoy's workload a bit this coming season. Anybody see Lewis beating the new competition coming his way?
Yes. And easily. His competition is a guy that's had 3 carries in almost 3 years.... (Talk about a guy still living off high school) and an upright RB with a hip issue. They spent a 7th rounder and signed a UDFA RB. And they've stated they're not going after a vet RB (which after the manner Dion discarded Ronnie and how Ronnie performed, don't blame them). To me, that shows all the confidence in the world in Dion.I take it as a sign they're looking for a RB3. Maybe they place one of the two - Brown/Polk - on practice squad.Love Dion Lewis. One of the top 5 backup RB's in the league. I think they got a huge late round steal with him.

Philly adding more rookie rb's has to be a sign that they do not think Lewis is a bonafide backup should McCoy get hurt. Reid indicated he would like to lighten McCoy's workload a bit this coming season. Anybody see Lewis beating the new competition coming his way?
Yes. And easily. His competition is a guy that's had 3 carries in almost 3 years.... (Talk about a guy still living off high school) and an upright RB with a hip issue. They spent a 7th rounder and signed a UDFA RB. And they've stated they're not going after a vet RB (which after the manner Dion discarded Ronnie and how Ronnie performed, don't blame them). To me, that shows all the confidence in the world in Dion.I take it as a sign they're looking for a RB3. Maybe they place one of the two - Brown/Polk - on practice squad.Love Dion Lewis. One of the top 5 backup RB's in the league. I think they got a huge late round steal with him.
This.Dion Lewis is the backup, and the only thing he needs is opportunity. And as we all know, opportunity always presents itself in the NFL, no matter how good the player is in front of you. I remain very high on Dion Lewis.

I don't see it that way. If you look at the Eagles under Reid, they have always tried to have a two-back system with a smaller back and a bigger back. Almost all of their major acquisitions at the position clearly fall into one category or another.Big backs: Buckhalter, Hunt, R Brown, Polk, B BrownScat backs: Westbrook, Moats, McCoy, LewisI think Lewis is the backup to McCoy with Polk and B Brown competing for the hammer position vacated by Ronnie Brown. There is always competition in the NFL and if Lewis can't beat out guys like Polk and Brown then he was never going to be a player anyway.
Good posting. We'll see how camp plays out, but I think you are spot on here.

Can someone shed some light on why one would be so high on Dion's prospects? Just asking because I do not know much about him.
The guy has wiggle, strength, and a measure of explosion in his runs. For a smaller guy he almost always pushes the pile when going down. Very instinctive runner as well with good vision. His size (5'8" 195)would seemingly hold him back but the success of smaller backs like Ray Rice (5'8" 212) and MJD (5'7" 208) provides hope. Considering the power with which he runs at his size, if he can add 10lbs of bulk and keep his speed we could be looking at a very pleasant surprise in the unfortunate circumstance of a McCoy injury. As was mentioned, it's VERY telling that the Eagles did not sign a vet RB and his only competition is a 7th rd pick that hasn't played in a couple years and an UDFA.

'King of the Jungle said:
Can someone shed some light on why one would be so high on Dion's prospects? Just asking because I do not know much about him.
I wouldn't say he's a can't-miss player or anything like that, but I grabbed him in a ton of leagues last year. Really like what he did in college. Not just the production, but the way he did it. Very instinctive runner with great feet and hips. He was one of the best backs in last year's draft (maybe THE best back) in terms of earning yards with elusiveness and vision. Lewis is another player like Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, or Darren Sproles who is incorrectly labeled small. IMO, weight is only useful when placed in the context of height. There is a huge difference between being short and being small. If you stop thinking about size purely in terms of weight, and start considering it in terms of how heavy the player is relative to his height, you see that guys like MJD, Rice, and Sproles actually have ideal size in the 30+ BMI range. Lewis is in the same mold. 193 pounds is a great weight for a 5'6.5" running back. He is not small. He is just short. Overall, I think he has a lot of the same positive attributes as LeSean McCoy. I think he could step into that role and thrive. Westbrook and McCoy have been successful in Philly's system mainly because of their quickness and ability to make plays in space. Lewis is cut from the same cloth. If he ever gets a chance, I would expect him to thrive there.

this thread seems like a good place to talk about Bryce Brown, 7th round draft pick. He's 220 and runs a legit 4.3 40 yard dash. He was the 2nd coming and a Trent Richardson level prep before he left 2 schools (tenn and kstate) but exactly the type of guy who comes from nowhere and becomes a stud. He fits into the bigger back role and as such probably isn't competing with Dion Lewis. but one to watch.

'King of the Jungle said:
I wouldn't say he's a can't-miss player or anything like that, but I grabbed him in a ton of leagues last year. Really like what he did in college. Not just the production, but the way he did it. Very instinctive runner with great feet and hips. He was one of the best backs in last year's draft (maybe THE best back) in terms of earning yards with elusiveness and vision. Lewis is another player like Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, or Darren Sproles who is incorrectly labeled small. IMO, weight is only useful when placed in the context of height. There is a huge difference between being short and being small. If you stop thinking about size purely in terms of weight, and start considering it in terms of how heavy the player is relative to his height, you see that guys like MJD, Rice, and Sproles actually have ideal size in the 30+ BMI range. Lewis is in the same mold. 193 pounds is a great weight for a 5'6.5" running back. He is not small. He is just short.

Overall, I think he has a lot of the same positive attributes as LeSean McCoy. I think he could step into that role and thrive. Westbrook and McCoy have been successful in Philly's system mainly because of their quickness and ability to make plays in space. Lewis is cut from the same cloth. If he ever gets a chance, I would expect him to thrive there.
:goodposting: Lewis is listed as 5'8" 195

http://www.nfl.com/player/dionlewis/2495469/profile

Barry Sanders was 5'8 203

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandBa00.htm?mobile=false

Not saying Lewis is anywhere near going to be a Barry Sanders, just comping them on body size.

Lewis is shifty, he has excellent vision and balance. He struggled at times at Pitt, but his freshman year at Pitt, Lewis was unstoppable...he was as impressive as any freshman RB I can recall. He doesn't have speed or size, but he gets results. Lewis is similar to Rice and Westbrook. Ronnie Hillman is also comprable in skill set and collegiate performance.

Users who are viewing this thread