What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (2 Viewers)

Here the fantasy impact as I see it.

Brady dips some. Some drives will stall that would have been extended.

Blount's stock goes up, as he should see a bigger workload. I would guess Top 15 RB the rest of the way.

Amendola becomes a WR4 or flex play. He and Edelman may see some end around plays.

White and Bolden will get mixed in but probably aren't fantasy start worthy. I have more faith in Bolden. Both should be speculative adds at this point if people have the roster space.

No on individual takes the fantasy production of Lewis, several folks get a little bit more here and there.

Oof, sucks for Dion. He finally made it. RB is the toughest position in sports to make a living at.

Amendola has definite value now.

Really sucks for Lewis. He will have a spot waiting for him next year.

I think White will take over, I think they will probably go grab Cadet.

I think Lafell, Dola and maybe Chandler get a bump. Kinda hoping the line Gets healthy and we can see more 3TE formations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oof, sucks for Dion. He finally made it. RB is the toughest position in sports to make a living at.

You think so? Best case, he's the No. 4 receiving option. How do you think they'll use him with Lewis out?

I'm playing in one league for the 22nd year so I've been at this for a few years and I know I'm getting old but I can't ever remember a year like this. The number of year ending injuries is just staggering with Bell, Charles, Foster, Lewis (all top 10ish backs) and then the weakness of the RB landscape overall with the number of committees and lack of workhorse backs....it's just a disaster this year and just emphasizes the need IMO to have a solid WR/TE core and then just use the rest of your roster for RB depth.

Blount's stock goes up, as he should see a bigger workload. I would guess Top 15 RB the rest of the way.

Amendola becomes a WR4 or flex play. He and Edelman may see some end around plays.

White and Bolden will get mixed in but probably aren't fantasy start worthy. I have more faith in Bolden. Both should be speculative adds at this point if people have the roster space.

No on individual takes the fantasy production of Lewis, several folks get a little bit more here and there.
I'm not sure this helps Blount. The way the Patriots were playing, they would slash and dash teams up quickly, soften them up with one style and then Blount made a living killing clock in most of his best games (tons of runs 2nd half vs. Jags, lots of runs against the Colts which is like tradition nowadays, and then against the Redskins who can't stop anyone on the ground).

Lewis' absence will slow down all the Pats somewhat so I think that opportunity to run that much erodes some.

I don't see the Patriots becoming an every week grind it out or pound it out team and now with thinner reserves, I think it is more likely a guy like Bolden eats into some of those "tough yards" or "GL yards". Also have to keep in mind it's the Pats. They could go out and find another guy on the street and monkey with it some more.

Overall, I just don't think it is a boon for Blount. We may look back at this in a year or two and say "That time they had Lewis actually was the clearest/easiest to read Patriots running game they had."

You think so? Best case, he's the No. 4 receiving option. How do you think they'll use him with Lewis out?
When Lewis was out in the Jets game, Amendola had 9 targets. Could have been game plan. I didn't watch yesterday but Amendola ended with 5 targets. Don't know if that was before or after Lewis went down.

A local could verify but I think they substitute Amendola in the short game when He isnt there.

Well he's on IR, its official. The only upside is I am taking Cobb of IR this week and wasn't sure who to drop, now I can put Lewis on IR. :cry: It was quite a ride for 2015, ended way too short. Looking forward to 2016 for Dion Lewis. Thanks to all the great contributors in the thread!

I think whichever type of RB Belichick decides to promote to active roster will be telling in how this affects his scheme split(spread passing vs. power running) moving forward.

When Lewis was out in the Jets game, Amendola had 9 targets. Could have been game plan. I didn't watch yesterday but Amendola ended with 5 targets. Don't know if that was before or after Lewis went down.

A local could verify but I think they substitute Amendola in the short game when He isnt there.
Think that was gameplan specific since the Jets have two primary corners who are terrific. Would make sense to go to the 3rd WR in that case.

Jimmy White will step in. The O won't lose a beat.....and this time next year...people will be saying "Dion, who?"
No way. They've always had the Faulk/Vareen type who could catch the ball. But Lewis was electric. They'll replace the Faulk/Vareen, but not the Lewis.

I'm not sure this helps Blount. The way the Patriots were playing, they would slash and dash teams up quickly, soften them up with one style and then Blount made a living killing clock in most of his best games (tons of runs 2nd half vs. Jags, lots of runs against the Colts which is like tradition nowadays, and then against the Redskins who can't stop anyone on the ground).

Lewis' absence will slow down all the Pats somewhat so I think that opportunity to run that much erodes some.

I don't see the Patriots becoming an every week grind it out or pound it out team and now with thinner reserves, I think it is more likely a guy like Bolden eats into some of those "tough yards" or "GL yards". Also have to keep in mind it's the Pats. They could go out and find another guy on the street and monkey with it some more.

Overall, I just don't think it is a boon for Blount. We may look back at this in a year or two and say "That time they had Lewis actually was the clearest/easiest to read Patriots running game they had."
Blount fared pretty well with Lewis out this week against Washington. I don't think the game plan was to get him 29 carries. Maybe things change with a planned absence of Lewis, but I still think the team will run more with the Pats OL suffering through injuries at the moment.

And from what I have seen of White, he has been the definition of mediocre (or worse). He seems soft and not a great pro caliber player. Maybe he gets a chance and steps up, but he does not strike me as a difference maker at all.

It's really interesting to see that there are so many people posting here that had Lewis AND Charles/Foster/Bell, etc.

Lots of teams that were loaded at RB, apparently.

It's really interesting to see that there are so many people posting here that had Lewis AND Charles/Foster/Bell, etc.

Bell, Lewis, Foster here. Have DWill (cuff for Bell), and Lewis (originally to cover Blount's week 1 suspension).

What looked like a unstoppable RB corps where I had to pick/choose between Blount/Lewis as RB3 has become DWill & Blount. :(

Too bad they were only healthy/not suspended (at the same time) for 2 weeks.

Most teams wouldn't have 2 of Charles/Foster/Bell, but 3 of every 12 teams would therefore have one of them. That means about 25% of all Lewis owners had him + one of those three. You probably hear about it a lot because most (but not all) people in this thread are Lewis owners.

I was having a problem deciding between Lewis and Blount, gets my decision is easy now.

Bell, Lewis, Foster here. Have DWill (cuff for Bell), and Lewis (originally to cover Blount's week 1 suspension).

What looked like a unstoppable RB corps where I had to pick/choose between Blount/Lewis as RB3 has become DWill & Blount. :(
Still solid. But ya that really sucks. At least it didn't take your team totally out of contention like this probably did to some people. Lewis was my RB3 in both leagues I owned him at least (Ivory/Freeman in both). Still stings, I love flexing RB in standard and hate that I have to flex WR now.

Most teams wouldn't have 2 of Charles/Foster/Bell, but 3 of every 12 teams would therefore have one of them. That means about 25% of all Lewis owners had him + one of those three. You probably hear about it a lot because most (but not all) people in this thread are Lewis owners.
Don't forget, Foster hurt himself in the preseason and was a 4th or 5th round draft pick. So he's coupled with another stud back in a high percentage of leagues this year. And Lewis was a free agent pickup in most leagues. Having Bell and Charles together would be a stretch, unless it's a keeper league of some sort.

Jimmy White will step in. The O won't lose a beat.....and this time next year...people will be saying "Dion, who?"
No way. They've always had the Faulk/Vareen type who could catch the ball. But Lewis was electric. They'll replace the Faulk/Vareen, but not the Lewis.
I'm just trying to make everyone feel better.At this point....I'd be happy if A) White stays the COP/3rd Down/Receiving back...they don't jerk the whole situation around, B) he produces at a Vereen/Faulk level, C) he doesn't get Brady killed and D) Brady's pace doesn't fall off significantly.

Unless we get some clarity in the next two days I don't even think I'll put White or Bolden on my list of pickups to replace Lewis. I don't trust Belichick at all with this situation. I've said all along I believed Lewis was a much different RB than the Faulks, Woodheads and Vereens of the world and as a result his usage was much more predictable. I think White and Bolden are much closer to Faulk, Woodhead and Vereen and as a result the situation will probably go back to being a mess. I'm very likely going to avoid it completely now.

This really sucks. Loved watching Lewis play.

packersfan said:
Unless we get some clarity in the next two days I don't even think I'll put White or Bolden on my list of pickups to replace Lewis. I don't trust Belichick at all with this situation. I've said all along I believed Lewis was a much different RB than the Faulks, Woodheads and Vereens of the world and as a result his usage was much more predictable. I think White and Bolden are much closer to Faulk, Woodhead and Vereen and as a result the situation will probably go back to being a mess. I'm very likely going to avoid it completely now.

Totally agree. I'm a patriots fan and having been watching them for years. Picked up Lewis after week one as he looked electric but was wary of his usage (I NEVER draft Patrios RBs). Was convinced early on when he didn't get benched for fumbling that he was gonna be used more consistently than Vereen/Woodhead/Faulk. In order this is a bummer for Lewis, bummer for my Pats, bummer for my fantasy team. I won't be picking up a Patriot RBs because the way NE uses them will drive me and their NFL opponents CRAZY.

Shutout said:

He was a WW pickup wasn't he?

Shutout said:

My Top 3 RBs were Gurley, Lewis & Forsett. Was really looking forward to the stretch run with that group. :(

rjv said:
Does white take over or boulden?
A combination of both and neither if that makes any sense.

Don't think their usage will be predictable.

it's just as likely that the Lewis touches are redistributed among the usual suspects.

Deamon said:
squistion said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

A month ago, #Patriots RB Dion Lewis signed a 2-year deal worth up to $5M. That looms large now. Never wouldve gotten it coming off an ACL
How much was guaranteed?
None. He signed a 2 year extension with a 600k signing bonus, 800k 2016 salary, 1.2M 2017 salary. Another $1.8M in escalators, not sure if he hit any this year. Kind of doubtful given how early we are still. $585k salary this year to be paid, of course, so he will earn almost $1.2M this year, but he's got no guarantee going forward. No real dead money to anchor him either.

Shutout said:

He was a WW pickup wasn't he?
Yes, and depending on when you drafted, Foster was going after the first few rounds, so having Charles/Bell along with Foster and Lewis is completely reasonable.

packersfan said:

I see it as this late in the season (where presumably most RBs of any worth are rostered) you're going to be able to get a guy who might not be the automatic start Lewis was....at least should be the position to occasionally put up RB2 numbers; presumably thru catching the ball. He's a stash guy who might be able to pay some dividends.

Deamon said:
squistion said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

A month ago, #Patriots RB Dion Lewis signed a 2-year deal worth up to $5M. That looms large now. Never wouldve gotten it coming off an ACL
How much was guaranteed?
None. He signed a 2 year extension with a 600k signing bonus, 800k 2016 salary, 1.2M 2017 salary. Another $1.8M in escalators, not sure if he hit any this year. Kind of doubtful given how early we are still. $585k salary this year to be paid, of course, so he will earn almost $1.2M this year, but he's got no guarantee going forward. No real dead money to anchor him either.
That's such a bargain he'll be fine, he's not getting cut. He just needs to show some progress in camp next season and he's good to go at that pay, he's a difference maker and that's cheap even by RB standards.

The other bad part I just realized what a big story he might next August as we'll likely be all left to guess when he's gong to be active. I see big potential for the Gronk fiasco of early 2013 playing out here for fantasy owners.

Deamon said:
squistion said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

How much was guaranteed?
That's such a bargain he'll be fine, he's not getting cut. He just needs to show some progress in camp next season and he's good to go at that pay, he's a difference maker and that's cheap even by RB standards.

The other bad part I just realized what a big story he might next August as we'll likely be all left to guess when he's gong to be active. I see big potential for the Gronk fiasco of early 2013 playing out here for fantasy owners.
Yeah, probably, but since this IS the Pats, if he doesn't show progress, they could cut him to save the $2 Mill over 16/17.

packersfan said:

:goodposting:

Deamon said:
squistion said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

How much was guaranteed?

Yeah, probably, but since this IS the Pats, if he doesn't show progress, they could cut him to save the $2 Mill over 16/17.
if he recovers i dount that is the case. i think the patriots know what they have in him. he makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread