Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ex-ghost

Dion Lewis

^they played a horrible defense. There are still a ton of games where BB wants to pound the rock. It's all gameplan dependant.

On their schedule:

Jags-Cowboys-Colts-Skins-Giants-Eagles-Titans

These are all teams where the defenses are bad and/or has shootout written all over it. So these 7 I think look like a Steeler copy & paste.

Bills-Jets-Dolphins twice

six division games against familiar opponents with good defenses. These could be the "pound it out" games but also lend themselves to be the "get rid of it quick" games, like last night, quick tempo, and , oh by the way, if we can, "we have lots of incentive to run it up" on them games.

Broncos-Texans

Two really good defenses but let's face it, Manning vs. Brady is always a show and Texans vs. Patriots has seemingly been an automatic 35+ for the Patriots for half a decade.

I don't doubt you are absolutely correct in what you are saying. There will be those games but this schedule looks very inviting for the Patriots to drop the hammer A LOT this year.

Vereen was unstartable most of last year but had a few blow up games. I expect the same from Lewis

I think Lewis is more like Woodhead. Vereen's biggest limitation was he is a RB who isn't very good at running. Just never picked up much on the ground. But Lewis is more like Woodhead. Both can hit the hole and pick up yards and make guys miss. Vereen rarely made a guy miss. He's great at getting open and catching the ball and has wheels, but he's just getting what's there.

This.

The "Fumble" was a strip. Nice play by Pitt defender, IMO. I'd say he shouldn't take too much heat for that.

What most don't realize here is, Dion can rush the ball! He was the feature back at Pitt, rushed 300+ times freshman yr. he's also identical in size to Forsett. He's super tough for his size. Those relegating him to a Vereen/Woodhead role only aren't giving him enough credit. This kid could rush it 200 times this year! Blount is completely 1 dimensional and Bolden is flat out terrible. White is an after thought as long as Lewis is healthy.

I'm calling it now, pickup of the year!

He's going to be closer to Forsett then he is Danny Woodhead.

Mark.

It.

Down.

It was nice to see him go back in.

You guys are making Blount seem like Barry Sanders. The guy is OK. If they like Lewis, maybe they ride him. Who knows. But im not overly concerned about Blount. He is a boneheaded decision away from not playing some more this year. And if history has taught us anything, its that he is a bonehead

Here's the biggest question for me: Brady got sacked twice, was Dion pass protecting those plays or did someone else mess up? Dion looked pretty decent in protection and if he remains good, that will get him the 3rd down role and maybe more

Here's the biggest question for me: Brady got sacked twice, was Dion pass protecting those plays or did someone else mess up? Dion looked pretty decent in protection and if he remains good, that will get him the 3rd down role and maybe more

I don't remember the other sack but the one where the Steelers DB blitzed was a mistake made by Marcus Cannon at LT on the play, who didn't identify the free rusher and nearly got Brady killed.

What most don't realize here is, Dion can rush the ball! He was the feature back at Pitt, rushed 300+ times freshman yr. he's also identical in size to Forsett. He's super tough for his size. Those relegating him to a Vereen/Woodhead role only aren't giving him enough credit. This kid could rush it 200 times this year! Blount is completely 1 dimensional and Bolden is flat out terrible. White is an after thought as long as Lewis is healthy.

Mark.

It.

Down.

Agree 100 percent. Im glad I was following the White/lewis battle and picked him up in like 7 leagues like 4 days ago LOL looks like a PPR monster and I see alittle Forsett myself. 200 carries and 60 catches would put him in top 8 ppr status for RBs...... He was Awesome at pitt and you are right took a heavy workload as a freshman. They make it out like hes a weak small reception only back and that's not the case at all.

that's a good point.

Dion is out there wearing Kevin Faulk's #33 - Belichick loves to have a guy play that role - it was almost Fred Jackson after BUF... but picking up the blitz and blocking is critical there.

I did not notice Dion's blocking (good or bad) last night.

Dion was electric in space - great receiving - but based on what I saw, he doesn't look like he can be an every down back - he looks like a guy that fills that Faulk/Vereen/Woodhead role for NE and maybe be more explosive than any of those previous guys were.

that's a good point.

Dion is out there wearing Kevin Faulk's #33 - Belichick loves to have a guy play that role - it was almost Fred Jackson after BUF... but picking up the blitz and blocking is critical there.

Dion was electric in space - great receiving - but based on what I saw, he doesn't look like he can be an every down back - he looks like a guy that fills that Faulk/Vereen/Woodhead role for NE and maybe be more explosive than any of those previous guys were.

He'll be a nice option for them to fall back on once Blount starts mailing it in. Can't see him retaining motivation past the bye.

By no means am I saying that Lewis will completely go away. He's very talented and I think he cemented that 3rd down las catching role last night.

But don't forget that BB LOVES Blount. He actually smiles sometimes when talking about him (really..I saw it once!). He loves the physicality that Blount brings to the table.

It's the patriots so nothing would SHOCK me. But it makes sense to have a guy like Blount in on 1st and 2nd down running plays and to bring Lewis in on 3rd downs. Maybe they can also split Lewis out wide with Blount in the backfield on certain plays. But make no mistake, Lewis' involvement in the offense last night was his ceiling with Blount out. His usage WILL go down once Blount comes back. How much remains to be seen.

Still at the very least a great one week pickup for many of us. For me he was a great fill in for an injured spiller/foster and suspended m. Bryant. Worked out perfectly!

I think Lewis will get a lot of playing time, but as mentioned above game planning. BB will do what he wants to win, so I think he will be OK in PPR (Cadet/White on 3rd are still risks), but he could easily disappear at times. Also, the Pittsburgh defense looked lost last night. So many Pats wide open. It won't always be like that.

One thing that stuck out for me last night was how slow Bolden looked on nearly every play, particularly at the goal line. Certainly Blount will get those touches starting next week but Lewis gives them a great passing situation RB weapon. With the Pats defense showing a lot of holes, they could be in a lot of shootouts this year and Lewis could get a ton of work.

One thing that stuck out for me last night was how slow Bolden looked on nearly every play, particularly at the goal line. Certainly Blount will get those touches starting next week but Lewis gives them a great passing situation RB weapon. With the Pats defense showing a lot of holes, they could be in a lot of shootouts this year and Lewis could get a ton of work.

Dion is the "no huddle" back too... and with the two TE set NE will return to a lot of that no-huddle, change-looks (fast) without changing personnel. Dion is just another weapon when that gameplan is in place - Blount/Boldin not so much.

that's a good point.

He hammered one guy on a play that was coming right up the middle. Dont remember the guys name. Awesome block

that's a good point.

He'll be a nice option for them to fall back on once Blount starts mailing it in. Can't see him retaining motivation past the bye.

I'm going to piggyback on that and add that it is worth watching Blount's attitude. IF he does get scaled back, he has a bit of a pattern to kind of mentally pack it in when things aren't going his way. If he does that on this team, there ARE people that are capable of just replacing him all together.

On the safety blitz that got Brady creamed, Lewis picked up the first blitzer and walled him.

From what I've seen so far, Lewis looks like a better back than Vereen ever was in NE.

I didn't see that one but he looked good picking up other blitzes. He puts his body out there for brady, size disadvantage doesn't seem to scare him

Mark.

It.

Down.

Be careful not to overreact to week 1. :shrug:

Vereen was unstartable most of last year but had a few blow up games. I expect the same from Lewis

I think Lewis is more like Woodhead. Vereen's biggest limitation was he is a RB who isn't very good at running. Just never picked up much on the ground. But Lewis is more like Woodhead. Both can hit the hole and pick up yards and make guys miss. Vereen rarely made a guy miss. He's great at getting open and catching the ball and has wheels, but he's just getting what's there.

I definitely saw Danny Woodhead 2.0 out there. He's going to be valuable in full PPR leagues. I know he screwed up a little bit at the end, but none of their other RBs can do what he can do. I heard the announcers say Brady thinks Lewis could become a "cult hero" for NE. Blount will take away some of his usage, but Lewis will still see the field a lot. Hopefully he settles as a reliable RB2/3

Edited by Wonderllama

Mark.

It.

Down.

I'm sure you said the same thing last year after Forsett's week 1 where he caught 5 balls and totaled 84 yds with a touch.

It you don't take chances, u have no chance.

-Da Gildz 2015

:shrug:

Mark.

It.

Down.

I'm sure you said the same thing last year after Forsett's week 1 where he caught 5 balls and totaled 84 yds with a touch.

-Da Gildz 2015

There is a different between taking a chance and claiming he will be closer to Forsett than Woodhead. :shrug:

He is a nice player to have as an RB3....just like Woodhead. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to keep it from getting too big from a week 1 performance. Frisman wouldn't want it any other way.

Dion is safe, I just prefer to take my chances on guys with the upside to be Forsett or surpass him. Thats why I have Cmike on the roster. I wouldnt dump Cmike for Dion. Then again, I would rather take more of a chance for that big reward.

Edited by ImTheScientist

FWIW:

Q: Was last night about as extensively as Dion Lewis has been used in his career, in terms of overall catching the ball, running the ball inside and outside?

BB: I think Dion has got a good skill set to do a lot of things. We had him returning kickoffs. He can catch the ball and have a role in the passing game. He had a couple blitz pickup opportunities that I thought were OK, and as you said, he had some inside runs, some outside runs. I think we’ve seen that all the way through since back in the spring when we worked on all those things, particularly in the passing game. Blitz pickup and things like that, we didn’t really know that much about him, but he’s shown to be dependable and reliable in that phase of the game. Even though he’s not the biggest guy, he’s tough and he knows what to do. He’s shown really the ability to help us on all four downs, including the kickoff return area. I wouldn’t say that anything that happened last night was a big shock that it hadn’t been seen before. You’re right – it did kind of show up in one game there. He’s done a good job of that. That being said, I think there are still a lot of things he can improve on and do a lot better. He had some really good plays last night and then there were some other things that I’m sure when he sees them today he’d like to have a couple back. But that’s the way it is for all of us. We all have those calls and plays during the game. But overall, he gave us some good production running the ball and catching it. He’s got some versatility.

[/indent]

• Like 1

Mark.

It.

Down.

-Da Gildz 2015

There is a different between taking a chance and claiming he will be closer to Forsett than Woodhead. :shrug:

He is a nice player to have as an RB3....just like Woodhead. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to keep it from getting too big from a week 1 performance. Frisman wouldn't want it any other way.

Dion is safe, I just prefer to take my chances on guys with the upside to be Forsett or surpass him. Thats why I have Cmike on the roster. I wouldnt dump Cmike for Dion. Then again, I would rather take more of a chance for that big reward.

Wait...what?

Forsett isn't good upside?? He was #8 RB in PPR last year. Lol.

You'd prefer a guy buried on the depth chart who may or may not even be a contributor? And if he is, who even knows when that time comes.

If you wouldn't drop Michael for Lewis at this very moment, in PPR, you're just lost.

GL tho!

This.

The "Fumble" was a strip. Nice play by Pitt defender, IMO. I'd say he shouldn't take too much heat for that.

Yeah the defender got a really good hand on the ball, no one was holding on to that.

Mark.

It.

Down.

-Da Gildz 2015

Wait...what?

You'd prefer a guy buried on the depth chart who may or may not even be a contributor? And if he is, who even knows when that time comes.

If you wouldn't drop Michael for Lewis at this very moment, in PPR, you're just lost.

GL tho!

Dion doesn't have good upside. I wasn't talking Forsett. Sorry for that bit of confusion. I would prefer a guy that can get you 200+ carries. That's why I had CJ Anderson and Jeremy Hill on my roster last year over the Woodhead's of the world. Im lucky in that I don't NEED to start Lewis or Michael in PPR right now. I prefer higher upside/higher risk guys on the bench when at all possible. Usually I shuffle through a bunch of bench guys early on in the season till I hit. I feel like Lewis will be serviceable, just not Forsett, Anderson, or Hill of last year.

Mark.

It.

Down.

-Da Gildz 2015

Wait...what?

GL tho!

Dion doesn't have good upside. I wasn't talking Forsett. Sorry for that bit of confusion. I would prefer a guy that can get you 200+ carries. That's why I had CJ Anderson and Jeremy Hill on my roster last year over the Woodhead's of the world. Im lucky in that I don't NEED to start Lewis or Michael in PPR right now. I prefer higher upside/higher risk guys on the bench when at all possible. Usually I shuffle through a bunch of bench guys early on in the season till I hit. I feel like Lewis will be serviceable, just not Forsett, Anderson, or Hill of last year.

I agree with ITS here.

Lewis won't be the feature back in NE. He will most likely be productive enough in a full PPR format to look at for RB3/flex with RB2 upside, but he just won't get the number of carries/touches to provide the RB1 upside. This is more an indictment of NE and their personnel usage than Lewis' skill set.

I don't know if C. Michael is the best example, but in general, DAL and many other teams will have a true lead back, and in unsettled situations, a talented but buried player provides a bit of huge upside - as in true RB1 upside - if they get the opportunity and run with it.

Have to say that 120 total yards and 5 receptions is a pretty good week. Not quite as good as 201 yards and 4 TDs, or 148 yards and 3 TDs, but surely enough to cement a significant weekly role. After all, Belichick doesn't care about the ball hitting the ground if you're putting up yards.

its the Patriots

a new RB every week that lights it up - its what they do, to keep teams off gaurd

next week Blount goes 26-108-3 TD and the next week, Lewis gets 8 catches and 2 scores man you just never know

its the Patriots

a new RB every week that lights it up - its what they do, to keep teams off gaurd

next week Blount goes 26-108-3 TD and the next week, Lewis gets 8 catches and 2 scores man you just never know

Patriots are not that hard to predict on which running backs they are going to use. If the team has a very soft run stopping defense odds are very great that blount will get 20 carries. If pats go against a good dline but bad pass coverage linebackers lewis could be getting 10+ targets

What will keep him on the field is his pass protecting.. he was great there. Even on the big sack he was decisive (had to take one of 2 free rushers) and committed on the guy he picked up.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1

its the Patriots

Patriots are not that hard to predict on which running backs they are going to use. If the team has a very soft run stopping defense odds are very great that blount will get 20 carries. If pats go against a good dline but bad pass coverage linebackers lewis could be getting 10+ targets

So based off of that criteria, here is who I see could have more potential in PPR for the rest of the Pats schedule:

@Bills - Lewis

Jags - Blount

@Cowboys - Lewis

@Colts - Blount

Jets - Lewis

Dolphins - Lewis

Skins - Blount (though Wash was decent against the run last year)

@Giants - Blount

Bills - Lewis

@Broncos - Lewis

Eagles - Blount (could be Lewis too?)

@Texans - Lewis

Titans - Blount

@Jets - Lewis

@Dolphins - Lewis

Of course situation, game flow, points scored and spread affects use, so this is just on the basis of strong run Ds vs softer run Ds

its the Patriots

Completely agree, it's such lazy analysis.

its the Patriots

So based off of that criteria, here is who I see could have more potential in PPR for the rest of the Pats schedule:

@Bills - Lewis

Jags - Blount

@Cowboys - Lewis

@Colts - Blount

Jets - Lewis

Dolphins - Lewis

Skins - Blount (though Wash was decent against the run last year)

@Giants - Blount

Bills - Lewis

@Broncos - Lewis

Eagles - Blount (could be Lewis too?)

@Texans - Lewis

Titans - Blount

@Jets - Lewis

@Dolphins - Lewis

Of course situation, game flow, points scored and spread affects use, so this is just on the basis of strong run Ds vs softer run Ds

I think some of your Blount games will be decent games for Lewis as well. I can see ( in PPR ) ~ 10 touches a game even when Blount is the lead back. OTOH, I think Blount will be unusable in several games against the stout fronts ( unless the O Line gets a lot better ).

• Like 1

its the Patriots

Let's take a look at who Vereen excelled vs. last year..

@ MIA (allowed 15th most rushing yards to RBs) - 18.1

vs. CIN (10th) - 13.8

vs. NYJ (28th) - 28.4

vs. DEN (31st) - 17.7

vs. DET (32nd) - 14

@ SEA (30th) - 18.7

I see a possible trend here. Vereen's best games came against the best run stopping teams in the league.

Edited by SameSongNDance

its the Patriots

Let's take a look at who Vereen excelled vs. last year..

@ MIA (allowed 15th most rushing yards to RBs) - 18.1

vs. CIN (10th) - 13.8

vs. NYJ (28th) - 28.4

vs. DEN (31st) - 17.7

vs. DET (32nd) - 14

@ SEA (30th) - 18.7

I see a possible trend here. Vereen's best games came against the best run stopping teams in the league.

Look a bit deeper. Those are all teams with terrific sack masters. I think the theme is "If the team can bring heat on Tom and possibly hurt him", then they are going to be getting the ball out quick and some of that is going to the backs.

He's more of a "squirt through a small gap/can't get a clean shot on him" guy than a "move the pile" guy but nothing I saw indicated that he couldn't run inside. I was bummed he fumbled because I think if he gets a carry in a goal to go situation due to a no huddle situation on the end of a big gain he has a perfectly good shot at converting.

They weren't getting much interior push out of the jumbo package so they may be more effective in short yardage spreading defenses out (though obviously the crossing routes with gronk and chandler are hard to defend).

I agree that Blount will get first shot at the short yardage role, but this guy got 47 carries in a game in college. Despite the broken leg it's very possible he's not some frail off-tackle only guy who can't handle a big workload. So it may be premature to say last night was his upside (though I'm not arguing a full feature job is overwhelmingly likely either).

Eta: I know belichick's RB usage is often screwy, but "I'm not touching the shanahan backfield" is how so many people got Morris for free a few years back. Doesn't mean it will happen here, but situations that have been bad historically are often where and why value is found.

Edited by EthnicFury
  • Like 1

What about the idea that Dion is just really good? Crazy notion I know. But he was a stud at PITT, gets drafted by Philly where he has no chance behind Shady. Then gets hurt and basically hasn't played in 2 years.

To just compare him to the backs of recent years there seems silly. They all were flawed backs in some capacity. The last really good "all-around" back in New Eng was probably Corey F'n Dillon. It's been that long. So yea he very well could be just a situational type player or he could be a Justin Forsett type who finally got his chance to show what he can do and we all saw what happened.

Oh and if u needed further evidence, Cleveland cut Dion so u know he has to be really good.

• Like 3

What about the idea that Dion is just really good? Crazy notion I know. But he was a stud at PITT, gets drafted by Philly where he has no chance behind Shady. Then gets hurt and basically hasn't played in 2 years.

To just compare him to the backs of recent years there seems silly. They all were flawed backs in some capacity. The last really good "all-around" back in New Eng was probably Corey F'n Dillon. It's been that long. So yea he very well could be just a situational type player or he could be a Justin Forsett type who finally got his chance to show what he can do and we all saw what happened.

Oh and if u needed further evidence, Cleveland cut Dion so u know he has to be really good.

But if you've been watching NE, even in the Dillon years, they had that 3rd down back role. It is a staple of this offense, and they will continue to have that role, and that role will have value. You might be right, maybe Lewis is the real deal. I don't think it matters. Belichick isn't going to change how he operates. Blount has value in their system as a between the tackles runner. Even if Lewis has the same value in that role, he has more as the hurry-up back, the receiving back, the 3rd down back. Better use of your assets to leverage Blount's value and use Lewis' in another, equally valuable role.

You want and are hoping he is something he just won't become. He is going to be a high end RB3, low end RB2 at best, if he can stay healthy and out of BB's crazy dog house. There are 2 or 3 other backs on the team that could fit that role. I think you are just a little excited about him today, which I get...he had a good game. To expect more than RB3/low end RB2 numbers is not being honest with yourself about past production from that role.

Edited by ImTheScientist

But if you've been watching NE, even in the Dillon years, they had that 3rd down back role. It is a staple of this offense, and they will continue to have that role, and that role will have value. You might be right, maybe Lewis is the real deal. I don't think it matters. Belichick isn't going to change how he operates. Blount has value in their system as a between the tackles runner. Even if Lewis has the same value in that role, he has more as the hurry-up back, the receiving back, the 3rd down back. Better use of your assets to leverage Blount's value and use Lewis' in another, equally valuable role.

Really?

That table right there shows me that he is more than willing to work with the personnel he has. The reason his RB usage has been so yin & yang has more to do with his personnel than desire to operate a single way.

You can certainly argue that Lewis is not a 3 down back, but if he is having success on 1st & 2nd downs while spelling Blount, or Blount underperforms (or a mix of both) BB absolutely would give Lewis every down work regardless of the game plan.

Edited by tone1oc

You want and are hoping he is something he just won't become. He is going to be a high end RB3, low end RB2 at best, if he can stay healthy and out of BB's crazy dog house. There are 2 or 3 other backs on the team that could fit that role. I think you are just a little excited about him today, which I get...he had a good game. To expect more than RB3/low end RB2 numbers is not being honest with yourself about past production from that role.

You sound like a guy who doesn't want him to be good. You can just pigeon hole him into Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead. I see a better all around player in Lewis. And Blount and Bolden Stink! Oh and I picked up lewis and started him on 5 of 6 teams. This isn't Monday morning qb'ing. Edited by Da Gildz

You sound like a guy who doesn't want him to be good. You can just pigeon hole him into Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead. I see a better all around player in Lewis. And Blount and Bolden Stink! Oh and I picked up lewis and started him on 5 of 6 teams. This isn't Monday morning qb'ing.

This is the basis for every single SP thread to be fair.

• Like 1